PDA

View Full Version : Texans Expansion Draft

Dunta_23
12-21-2006, 06:16 PM
I was just lookin around on Youtube and saw this video....seems like we arent the only ppl who got duped by Boselli...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4rdS74jrt3M

Vinny
12-21-2006, 06:18 PM
I don't think anyone was duped by Boselli. He didn't force anyone to do anything and when he played he was a hall of fame caliber talent.

Dunta_23
12-21-2006, 06:19 PM
What I was getting at is that everyone said that Jacksonville basically made the Texans take him to get access to other players

Vinny
12-21-2006, 06:21 PM
What I was getting at is that everyone said that Jacksonville basically made the Texans take him to get access to other playersnobody can make you do anything...unless you want to, or are a lackey....and it may be both of the above for Casserly.

Dunta_23
12-21-2006, 06:28 PM
It is quite funny what the announcers talk about shortly after the 2 minute mark....and im sure David Carr wishes what they said was true

TexansFanatic
12-21-2006, 09:43 PM
Wow, Jacksonville really set the miserable tone for the Texans for the past five seasons before the franchise even got off the ground. The Texans have never recovered from the Boselli fiasco. He was supposed to be the cornerstone of the franchise. He never played one snap for Houston and the team never managed to replace him. And I don't buy for a second the b.s. Casserly and company spewed to try and whitewash their Boselli boner. "We took him only to get Walker and Payne." What a crock.

Toro
12-21-2006, 10:01 PM
I still remember the level of excitement I felt when the Texans took him. I knew of his knee injury past, but had some glimmer of hope that he'd be able to fully recover and anchor the line for the next 4-5 years at least.

phantom17
12-21-2006, 10:12 PM
I Think We Need An Excorcism! :)

sakebomb
12-21-2006, 10:18 PM
I remember telling my friends that Carr is going to have all sorts of time to throw. :ok:

Bubbajwp
12-21-2006, 10:27 PM
Wow, Jacksonville really set the miserable tone for the Texans for the past five seasons before the franchise even got off the ground. The Texans have never recovered from the Boselli fiasco. He was supposed to be the cornerstone of the franchise. He never played one snap for Houston and the team never managed to replace him. And I don't buy for a second the b.s. Casserly and company spewed to try and whitewash their Boselli boner. "We took him only to get Walker and Payne." What a crock.

In a way neither have the Jags. We have owned them ever since them.

ATX
12-21-2006, 10:36 PM
In a way neither have the Jags. We have owned them ever since them.

They screwed us then, but we're screwing them now.

painekiller
12-21-2006, 10:56 PM
Yes Boselli hurt us, but we also thought Young was going to be our RT for a while. So we lost both bookends without really seeing any benefit from them.

t_flare
12-22-2006, 01:50 AM
Yes Boselli hurt us, but we also thought Young was going to be our RT for a while. So we lost both bookends without really seeing any benefit from them.

I not made about that but whats after that... Seth Payne, Todd Wade Bust.. they did nothing to fix the line

ATX
12-22-2006, 02:05 AM
I not made about that but whats after that... Seth Payne, Todd Wade Bust.. they did nothing to fix the line

Payne plays defense...maybe you're thinking of Pitts:shades:

dbspi
12-22-2006, 02:56 AM
I don't think anyone was duped by Boselli. He didn't force anyone to do anything and when he played he was a hall of fame caliber talent.

He was when he used to play for Jacksonville. Not in Houston.

kastofsna
12-22-2006, 09:39 AM
it is kinda ironic that the texans' first "real" player (i know there were some guys signed here and there before that) was a hall of fame LT who was ultimately supposed to give the texans one of the finest o-lines ever for an expansion team. and here we stand today, and still no semblance of a decent line. still, can't blame boselli for it. you have to think that jacksonville wouldn't give up one of the greatest tackles ever to a future division foe if he showed some sort of promise for the future. but, it wasn't like a real draft, so it wasn't that big of a deal. although i forget exactly how expansion draft rules work...

Texan_Bill
12-22-2006, 09:46 AM
The Texans selected Boselli in a "wink-wink" deal with Jacksonville to get Seth Payne and Gary Walker. The Jags were about to be in dire straights with the salary cap and needed to unload payroll... The Texans knew about Boselli's shoulder and knew that there was a chance that he wouldn't be able to play... The upsetting part, is knowing that and never 'really' addressing that position until Spencer got here..... Then, as luck would have it, he goes down....

t_flare
12-22-2006, 12:43 PM
Payne plays defense...maybe you're thinking of Pitts:shades:

i meant wand.. my bad

ATX
12-22-2006, 12:57 PM
i meant wand.. my bad

Wand was a reach in the 3rd round....another wasted pick by Capers and Casserly if you ask me. Any other team probably wouldn't have even drafted him, but we take him in the 3rd freaking round.

TK_Gamer
12-22-2006, 03:40 PM
I still remember the level of excitement I felt when the Texans took him. I knew of his knee injury past, but had some glimmer of hope that he'd be able to fully recover and anchor the line for the next 4-5 years at least.

I believe it was a shoulder injury that did him in, not the knee.

Vinny
12-22-2006, 03:44 PM
Wand was a reach in the 3rd round....another wasted pick by Capers and Casserly if you ask me. Any other team probably wouldn't have even drafted him, but we take him in the 3rd freaking round.no he wasn't...and I'm sure you didn't look at the names of the Tackles taken after him. He was one of the two best tackle prospects left on the board in the 3rd round.

El Tejano
12-22-2006, 03:45 PM
The part that ticks me off is Willie Roaf was right there for the taking. They didn't get him because of an injury, Boselli never plays a down and Roaf goes on to have a couple probowl seasons for The Cheifs.

Vinny
12-22-2006, 03:47 PM
The part that ticks me off is Willie Roaf was right there for the taking. They didn't get him because of an injury, Boselli never plays a down and Roaf goes on to have a couple probowl seasons for The Cheifs.We didn't pick him up since he wasn't allowed on the list. That one wasn't on Casserly.

infantrycak
12-22-2006, 04:05 PM
I believe it was a shoulder injury that did him in, not the knee.

It was actually a botched operation by the Jags Doc. Boselli injured one shoulder. Boselli's other shoulder was playable but he had some crepitation. The Doc offered to do something in that shoulder as well. The shoulder that original was injured with the Jags came out fine but the other shoulder never recovered.

As for Roaf--like Vinny said, Roaf and Boselli were designated by their teams. The NFL sent docs to look them over and then told the Saints to take Roaf off the list. The Saints then traded Roaf for a conditional pick that became a 3rd rounder. Of course Dave Ragone was far more productive than him for us.

Vinny
12-22-2006, 04:22 PM
As for Roaf--like Vinny said, Roaf and Boselli were designated by their teams. The NFL sent docs to look them over and then told the Saints to take Roaf off the list. The Saints then traded Roaf for a conditional pick that became a 3rd rounder. Of course Dave Ragone was far more productive than him for us.You can't have too many QB's you know...especially when you roll the same one out game after game despite how he plays.

Mr teX
12-22-2006, 06:48 PM
Come on, you guys act like we were going to get HOF players in an "expansion draft". I knew we'd get mostly crap so i was looking to the draft for most of our talent. Unfortuanately Capers & Co screwed us out of that too; despite it being a garbage draft.

cap1
12-22-2006, 07:02 PM
What really hurt was that we didn't want anyone over the age of 30. That is what hurt. We should have tried for the 30 to 42 players instead of the 27 million. Oh well.

Dunta_23
12-22-2006, 07:29 PM
If anyone looks at the list of available players...there were a lot of solid players that werent taken....sure a lot of them had a high cap number....but better to have quality than quanitity

Mr teX
12-22-2006, 08:31 PM
like who? Danny weurffel? there was no one there worth anything in that year. most of those guys were either coming off injury or wern't too good to begin with; especially on offense. Everyone with modest talent we got (Glen, Coleman,sharper etc). the only notables that we didn't pick were Jessie Armstead, & i believe Olin Kruetz the center from the bears & LB marc fields from st. louis.

Everyone else i recall, hadn't really been heard of.

Dunta_23
12-22-2006, 08:41 PM
Other notables that would be decent to start an expansion team could be Bruce Mathews, Willie McGinest, Keenan McKardell, Charlie Batch, George Teague, Chris Chandler

here is the entire list....

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2002/expansion/expansionpool.html

Mr teX
12-22-2006, 08:54 PM
Other notables that would be decent to start an expansion team could be Bruce Mathews, Willie McGinest, Keenan McKardell, Charlie Batch, George Teague, Chris Chandler

here is the entire list....

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2002/expansion/expansionpool.html

i agree with mcKardell & mcginest & teague when you look at the list NOW but all your other guys were going to retire in the next year, so in essence we'd be right where we are now anyway. Good lookin out though.
other notables that are doing/did ok:

Rueben Droughns
Bill Romanowski
Randall Mcdaniel
Mark Stepnoski

Dunta_23
12-22-2006, 09:21 PM
All I was saying that instead of throwing Carr out to the wolves, if he woulda sat behing a Chandler or Batch for a year, he coulda learned a lot....and a Player like McGinest could have done wonders for Babin and Peek....but like u said...maybe wed be back in the same place because they retired soon after anyways...

everardo7206
12-23-2006, 11:11 PM
man thats funny.. they said that the texans qb will have protection!

brewhaus
12-24-2006, 11:44 AM
What I was getting at is that everyone said that Jacksonville basically made the Texans take him to get access to other players

I heard the same thing. "In order to get Gary Walker and Seth Payne, we had to take the cripple off their hands. We were chumps "from the jump".
Now, Walker is gone and Payne has what will probably amount to a career ending injury.

Dunta_23
12-24-2006, 11:46 AM
Instead of that little wink wink deal....once the players listed were made available...why not take Gary Walker # 1 overall....and if they happen to pull back Seth Payne...then so be it?? or Vice Versa....but to potenially "knowingly" take a guy you know cant play to get 2 other players is just crazy...

brewhaus
12-24-2006, 11:52 AM
Instead of that little wink wink deal....once the players listed were made available...why not take Gary Walker # 1 overall....and if they happen to pull back Seth Payne...then so be it?? or Vice Versa....but to potenially "knowingly" take a guy you know cant play to get 2 other players is just crazy...

I'm thinking maybe that was part of a "learning curve". I don't know how else to explain it.
But, it's water under the bridge now so I am hopeful the futrue will be more promising than the last 5 years.

Dunta_23
12-24-2006, 11:55 AM
I wish we could have been an expansion team coming into the league last year....seeing we already had the #1 pick....I think last years draft is more along the lines of a proper foundation than what they actually drafted the first time around....