PDA

View Full Version : Why not Rosenfels?

jayjordan
12-20-2006, 10:17 PM
Rosenfels looked good the few games he played in why not give him a try? I guess there trying to get their money worth out of carr wreck.

Grid
12-20-2006, 10:18 PM
Hes got a broken hand. That usually puts a damper on a QBs ability to start in the NFL.

GanadoUHCoog
12-20-2006, 10:19 PM
he broke his hand a few weeks ago...or I have a feeling we would have seen plenty of what he could do over the past few weeks. jmo

ArlingtonTexan
12-20-2006, 10:20 PM
In the short term, Sage broke his hand and out for the season. As for 2007, it is anybody's guess.

axman40
12-20-2006, 10:23 PM
Broken hand what a pansy! Real men play through pain!

:jk: :texflag:

Texas_Thrill
12-20-2006, 10:24 PM
i dont think it matters if he was the bionic man. mcnair wants carr and carr it is unless he had a season ending or career ending injury we will continue to see David "Check three down and Out" Carr.

Second Honeymoon
12-20-2006, 10:30 PM
I bet even McNair's golfing buddies are giving him hell. He has already shown he doesn't care what the fans think but maybe now that his friends (and in some cases Texans investors) are gonna be riding his butt, maybe he will do something. Geez, it practically took a boardroom coup for McNair to get rid of Capers. Here is to all his drinking/golfing buddies giving him hell for how embarassing the Texans and specifically their decision making has been.

Sadly based on McNair's recent statements, it will probably take an act of god for him to get rid of Lil' Davey....

Sage would be an upgrade over Carr but we all knew that already....McNair just hasnt gotten the memo yet

A Texan
12-20-2006, 10:38 PM
If you only had two QB's on the team why would you have your backup playing on special teams where he might have to make a tackle and hurt himself? Not a good deal.

Second Honeymoon
12-20-2006, 10:40 PM
If you only had two QB's on the team why would you have your backup playing on special teams where he might have to make a tackle and hurt himself? Not a good deal.

he was the placeholder. not unusual for the backup to hold on kicks.....if memory serves me

Runner
12-20-2006, 10:43 PM
he was the placeholder. not unusual for the backup to hold on kicks.....if memory serves me

The punter (Stanley) had hurt his hand so he had two fingers taped together. He's the usual holder. It was a very long, weird chain of events.

Honoring Earl 34
12-20-2006, 10:53 PM
Sadly based on McNair's recent statements, it will probably take an act of god for him to get rid of Lil' Davey....

God would say ... Replace him or keep the roof closed .

Napa Auto Parts
12-21-2006, 01:04 AM
Im just thinking about how sad it is to even be considering to replace carr with sage does carr suck that much. wow we could of had peppers:includeme: :gun:

jayjordan
12-21-2006, 01:19 AM
So would yall tryout rosenfels for next year and still get a QB in the draft just in chance or pick up plummer?

TEXANSTAILGATER
12-21-2006, 01:38 AM
I guess

jerek
12-21-2006, 09:00 AM
I guess there trying to get their money worth out of carr wreck.

I would like to propose a ban on all lame and millions-of-times-recycled wordplays involving projection of Carr as an automobile.

They weren't that funny five years ago and they sure as hell aren't funny now.

HeartofHouston
12-21-2006, 02:00 PM
I would try to trade Carr away...

Give Rosenfels a Shot and pick up Troy Smith with our first rounder.. Let Rosenfels play out the season and let Smith watch this season and see how things turn out.. at the very very worst Smith learns from Rosenfels and gets ready in a year or two.

Double Barrel
12-21-2006, 02:40 PM

Even thought it's been explained, I find it odd, too.

I have to hand it to Sage, though. That was one helluva' special teams play.

thunderkyss
12-21-2006, 02:48 PM
I would try to trade Carr away...

Give Rosenfels a Shot and pick up Troy Smith with our first rounder.. Let Rosenfels play out the season and let Smith watch this season and see how things turn out.. at the very very worst Smith learns from Rosenfels and gets ready in a year or two.

I seriously doubt they'll try to trade David.

We look dumb enough already, passing Lienart & Cutler, and giving David $8 million plus his salary....... then dump him the next year for a second day pick, or a second string LB

Runner
12-21-2006, 03:09 PM
I like Sage, though. He seems to have more presence in the pocket, which probably has been beaten out of Carr with hundreds of sacks in his first few years.

If anybody has tapes of Sage playing this year, they might want to check something out. I'd like to know if Sage drops less deep on 5 and 7 step drops than Carr. I have heard this from a friend who is pretty knowledgable about such things, but I don't have any of those games saved anymore.

Maybe the line does block better for Sage, and maybe it is because he makes the tackles' jobs easier by not giving the DE's as good as an angle as Carr does.

Is this a piece of the mystery?

thunderkyss
12-21-2006, 03:13 PM
If anybody has tapes of Sage playing this year, they might want to check something out. I'd like to know if Sage drops less deep on 5 and 7 step drops than Carr. I have heard this from a friend who is pretty knowledgable about such things, but I don't have any of those games saved anymore.

Maybe the line does block better for Sage, and maybe it is because he makes the tackles' jobs easier by not giving the DE's as good as an angle as Carr does.

I watched for that earlier in the year...... I don't believe it is true, not by much, if any at all.

But the problem with Carr's 5 & 7 step drops, is that 5 is more like 6, and 7 is more like 8...... so were Sage is ready to come up, and make his throw, David still has half a step to go.... then he bounces on that half step, before he starts back up.

Runner
12-21-2006, 03:15 PM
I watched for that earlier in the year...... I don't believe it is true, not by much, if any at all.

But the problem with Carr's 5 & 7 step drops, is that 5 is more like 6, and 7 is more like 8...... so were Sage is ready to come up, and make his throw, David still has half a step to go.... then he bounces on that half step, before he starts back up.

In essence his "5-step drop" and "7-step drop" by name are deeper than Sage's in your opinion then, because of the extra step? If so, it results in the same thing.

Interesting.

ATX
12-21-2006, 03:16 PM
Im just thinking about how sad it is to even be considering to replace carr with sage does carr suck that much. wow we could of had peppers:includeme: :gun:

I'd much rather have Peppers and Young/Leinert over Williams and Carr. Damnit David....why couldn't you have come out as a junior, been drafted in a later round, been a career backup, and never have been a Texan.

ArlingtonTexan
12-21-2006, 03:17 PM

Kubiak has mentioned several times that Carr is inconsistent with his footwork. Never admitted to the specific problem with it, but not dropping to same spot or too far is a possibility.

ATX
12-21-2006, 03:18 PM

I think a big knock on Carr coming out of college was that he held the ball too low, thus making his delivery slower and him more fumble prone. I still see that from him even after 5 years.....maybe the guy can't be coached as well as others?

Runner
12-21-2006, 03:31 PM
Kubiak has mentioned several times that Carr is inconsistent with his footwork. Never admitted to the specific problem with it, but not dropping to same spot or too far is a possibility.

If so, that is such a fundamental issue...

Wow.

Honoring Earl 34
12-21-2006, 03:41 PM
You can see some good pics at TexansBullPen.com . I think it's obvious David drops the ball down low ... he also over strides . He throws like an outfielder .

Double Barrel
12-21-2006, 03:54 PM

Good question. One thing I've noticed about Carr when he drops back is that he often goes too far into the exposed backside of the pocket. The tackles usually push out and let the defenders rush behind the QB, which allows the QB to step up into the pocket. More than a few of Carr's sacks seem to come from taking 5-7 steps too big and he gets hit by a defender that was being blocked.

thunderkyss
12-21-2006, 06:19 PM

Earlier in the season, before David would get sacked, his drop was pretty steady. each step would take a certain amount of time... whether his legs were crossed, or opened. You could count his steps, and every three step drop took x amount of time....... every 5 step drop took x amount of time..... every 7 step drop took x amount of time.

After a sack....... he wouldn't cross his legs on his drop. He'd take a big step back, then slide, then a half-step, then a slide, etc.......

Problem....... if you know where your first read should be on step one, your second on step two, then your third on step three, then on step one, you look at your first read..... is the safety where you want him?? is the corner under or over, inside or out.... on your second step, you look at your second read..... should be opening up by now(on a three step drop) can you make that throw??... third step.. your third read...look at this guy, even though your 1st or second was what you were looking for, to keep the defense honest.

When his feet get messed up... his timing is messed up.....

thunderkyss
12-21-2006, 06:21 PM
In essence his "5-step drop" and "7-step drop" by name are deeper than Sage's in your opinion then, because of the extra step? If so, it results in the same thing.

Interesting.

well..... I said it's more like 6, more like 8..... but it isn't a real step, it's more of a slide & bounce....

Runner
12-21-2006, 06:24 PM

Interesting.

well..... I said it's more like 6, more like 8..... but it isn't a real step, it's more of a slide & bounce....

That's what I meant by "in essence" and "by name". I doubt the Texans call a five step drop the "6 step slide and cross" or the seven step drop the "8 pace electric slide".

shinerbock_girl
12-21-2006, 06:25 PM

AAAA, how long do you have to sport around that Vince avatar???? lol....

Vinny
12-21-2006, 06:31 PM
I think he enjoys it.

thunderkyss
12-21-2006, 06:33 PM

I got real stupid and cocky.... I bet that David would do better than Vince(have better stats) at the Tenn game @ reliant.......

If Earl lost, he'd have to use my Thunder Kyss avatar, till the end of the season..... if I lost, he got to choose my avatar, and I'd use it till this time next season.

I'm not a big David Carr fan..... but I felt that his safe approach would lead to better stats.... though I like Vince, I didn't believe he would actually put up decent stats(or "take over a game")

But....... the bet got changed to the straight up winner.. Texans... Titans... I felt confident that we'd still get the win.....

well......

I'm beginning to think betting against Vince is like betting against a sicillian when death is on the line.....

thunderkyss
12-21-2006, 06:37 PM
I think he enjoys it.

I don't mind Vince.... but that is the queerest looking blue I've ever seen.

shinerbock_girl
12-21-2006, 06:57 PM
I got real stupid and cocky.... I bet that David would do better than Vince(have better stats) at the Tenn game @ reliant.......

If Earl lost, he'd have to use my Thunder Kyss avatar, till the end of the season..... if I win, he got to choose my avatar, and I'd use it till this time next season.

I'm not a big David Carr fan..... but I felt that his safe approach would lead to better stats.... though I like Vince, I didn't believe he would actually put up decent stats(or "take over a game")

But....... the bet got changed to the straight up winner.. Texans... Titans... I felt confident that we'd still get the win.....

well......

I'm beginning to think betting against Vince is like betting against a sicillian when death is on the line.....

U know i almost made that bet as well and then said, NAWWWWWWWW

ArlingtonTexan
12-21-2006, 07:36 PM
Earlier in the season, before David would get sacked, his drop was pretty steady. each step would take a certain amount of time... whether his legs were crossed, or opened. You could count his steps, and every three step drop took x amount of time....... every 5 step drop took x amount of time..... every 7 step drop took x amount of time.

After a sack....... he wouldn't cross his legs on his drop. He'd take a big step back, then slide, then a half-step, then a slide, etc.......

Problem....... if you know where your first read should be on step one, your second on step two, then your third on step three, then on step one, you look at your first read..... is the safety where you want him?? is the corner under or over, inside or out.... on your second step, you look at your second read..... should be opening up by now(on a three step drop) can you make that throw??... third step.. your third read...look at this guy, even though your 1st or second was what you were looking for, to keep the defense honest.

When his feet get messed up... his timing is messed up.....

Interesting. I assume that drops should automatic at this level. This leads to a chicken or egg question....has his drops always been this way or is this because of pressure.

thunderkyss
12-21-2006, 07:56 PM
Interesting. I assume that drops should automatic at this level. This leads to a chicken or egg question....has his drops always been this way or is this because of pressure.

Seeing how it's after he gets sacked that he gets all goofy, and several plays later(we usually don't convert if there was a sack on any down of a possession) he's fine, I'm sure it has something to do with getting his Bell rung often.

But yeah........ this shouldn't be something he thinks about... It's the basis for the timing of every play, and should be like breathing for a QB.

kastofsna
12-22-2006, 08:03 AM
rosenfels isn't that great.

JDizzle
12-22-2006, 08:20 AM

You are probably right but you have to keep in mind what we're use to seeing in front of him.

infantrycak
12-22-2006, 08:34 AM
Interesting tidbit:

Nick Saban vehemently denied a report on SI.com in which former Dolphins quarterback Gus Frerotte accused his former coach of wanting to bench him in the 2005 regular-season finale against the Patriots to save money from incentives.

By playing against New England, Frerotte earned a $3 million bonus for appearing in more than 85 percent of the Dolphins' offensive snaps in 2005.

A source said Saban was aware of the situation and the impact it would make upon the team's salary cap but still played Frerotte ahead of backups Sage Rosenfels and Cleo Lemon because he felt that gave the Dolphins the best chance to defeat New England, which they did 28-26.

Link (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-spdolnotes22.1dec22,0,7214975.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front)

texan's blue
12-22-2006, 08:36 AM

Because, if you don't do this then it would show some intelligence... and we can't have that now can we?? I am a starting to wonder how these guys remember to breath.

Texanfan4ever
12-22-2006, 09:02 AM
Because, if you don't do this then it would show some intelligence... and we can't have that now can we?? I am a starting to wonder how these guys remember to breath.

I bet if Kubes could go back and change one decision he made, it would have been that silly one to send Sage in there to hold that ball. Hindsight is always 20/20, but even to my ignorant eyes, that was just stupid.

And I bet Sage has been going nuts. He would have had some playing time by now.

Next question, why did we hire Van Pelt, if he can't seem to figure it out in practice yet? I thought he already knew this system, since he backed up Plummer last year. What's up with that, anyone know?

kastofsna
12-22-2006, 09:30 AM
Interesting tidbit:

Link (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-spdolnotes22.1dec22,0,7214975.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front)
what kind of accusation is that? he started him, didn't he? and he had no reason to, really. frerotte should be thanking him for that.

Runner
12-22-2006, 09:45 AM
I bet if Kubes could go back and change one decision he made, it would have been that silly one to send Sage in there to hold that ball.

Silly in hindsight only. Holding on a place kick is not a high risk task - he's probably in more danger of injury during practice. Many teams use QBs as holders.

thunderkyss
12-22-2006, 09:58 AM
Interesting tidbit:

Quote:
Nick Saban vehemently denied a report on SI.com in which former Dolphins quarterback Gus Frerotte accused his former coach of wanting to bench him in the 2005 regular-season finale against the Patriots to save money from incentives.

By playing against New England, Frerotte earned a $3 million bonus for appearing in more than 85 percent of the Dolphins' offensive snaps in 2005.

A source said Saban was aware of the situation and the impact it would make upon the team's salary cap but still played Frerotte ahead of backups Sage Rosenfels and Cleo Lemon because he felt that gave the Dolphins the best chance to defeat New England, which they did 28-26.

yeah but his QB decisions since then leaves one wondering what exactly is he looking at......

Besides, Kubiak brought Sage here to help David...... that says something right there. Kubiak said he & Shanahan were very interested in Rosenfels.....

thunderkyss
12-22-2006, 10:01 AM
what kind of accusation is that? he started him, didn't he? and he had no reason to, really. frerotte should be thanking him for that.

I think 'cak is saying if Sage was worth a crap, Saban would have saved him some money, and put Ferotte on the bench....

If he saw anything at all in Sage...... he'd have benched Ferotte, and saved him some money.... it's not like he thought that highly of Ferotte or anything.

Double Barrel
12-22-2006, 10:02 AM

Perhaps you're right...but when he looks better than Carr, what does that say about our starting QB? idonno:

I still say move DC and give Sage a shot while developing a young arm.

infantrycak
12-22-2006, 10:04 AM
I think 'cak is saying if Sage was worth a crap, Saban would have saved him some money, and put Ferotte on the bench....

If he saw anything at all in Sage...... he'd have benched Ferotte, and saved him some money.... it's not like he thought that highly of Ferotte or anything.

I'm not actually asserting that, but the whole scenario is interesting. He clearly didn't like Ferotte as a starter. Loyalty to him as the starter weighed in favor of playing him--$3 mil weighed against it. His opinion of Sage may not have ever entered the equation. OTOH Saban may have liked the win streak they were on and felt the extra $3 mil was worth Ferotte's extra chance of winning against the Pats. Who knows?--like I said interesting tidbit.

kastofsna
12-22-2006, 10:32 AM
I'm not actually asserting that, but the whole scenario is interesting. He clearly didn't like Ferotte as a starter. Loyalty to him as the starter weighed in favor of playing him--$3 mil weighed against it. His opinion of Sage may not have ever entered the equation. OTOH Saban may have liked the win streak they were on and felt the extra $3 mil was worth Ferotte's extra chance of winning against the Pats. Who knows?--like I said interesting tidbit.
one of the catalysts for the 6-game win streak last year was in the buffalo game, where frerotte injured his hand and rosenfels came in in the 2nd half. frerotte was completely ineffectual in the 1st half, and rosenfels lead a great comeback (where chris chambers put up 250 yards on 16 catches, and the game-winning TD). he didn't play the next week in san diego, though. that alone says quite a bit. in the next game against the jets, frerotte was pulled at the half after throwing a pick, with the game tied 10-10 at that point. it was 17-10 jets and rosenfels lead them to 2 touchdowns, including an epic 50 yard pass to booker. sooo you'd think that was enough for rosenfels to start against tennessee, right? or not....

Vinny
12-22-2006, 11:24 AM
I thought this was a great comment on TC's blog. Rosenfels outplayed Carr in the preseason but did we give the starting job to the player that played the best? Nope, we gave it to the player we wanted to have the job. Until this team fixes this we are not going to be a good team. This year is a shining example that if you don't have honest competition for the starting spots, bad things happen to your team.

Like so many of you, I've been to every home game. I have tried to analyze my own frustration from an objective standpoint. It's been hard, but I believe that I bought into the Mario draft decision based on the fact that DC could be coached by another QB (Kubiak). After thinking about this since VY came to town, I have come to the conclusion that my frustration lies with the fact that DC was the starting QB no matter how bad he performed or how well Rosenfels performed. If the Texans had simply given the starting QB job to the man who performed the best in the pre-season, Rosenfels would be the man. If they will acknowledge that the starting slot is open in 2007 and will be given to the best person based on the preseason, I think I'd be okay with that. It would also make those silly preseason games that we HAVE to buy tickets for more meaningful.

Posted by: Daryl at December 22, 2006 12:10 AM

http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2006/12/texans_message_board_moderator_1.html#comments

Porky
12-22-2006, 11:57 AM
I thought this was a great comment on TC's blog. Rosenfels outplayed Carr in the preseason but did we give the starting job to the player that played the best? Nope, we gave it to the player we wanted to have the job. Until this team fixes this we are not going to be a good team. This year is a shining example that if you don't have honest competition for the starting spots, bad things happen to your team.

http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2006/12/texans_message_board_moderator_1.html#comments

Not only did he outplay Carr in the preseason, but word is he was better in the early offseason practices, and throughout training camp- things the fans generally don't see, but tend to leak their way out. I don't think we should delude ourselves and expect Sage to lead us to a SB, but he is/was clearly better than the Golden Boy. Yet, for 5 years Carr has been handed the starting job on a silver platter by simple fiat.

ArlingtonTexan
12-22-2006, 12:31 PM
Silly in hindsight only. Holding on a place kick is not a high risk task - he's probably in more danger of injury during practice. Many teams use QBs as holders.

Tony romo still holds for the Cowboys. Until recent history it was the norm for Qbs to be the holders. Punters only became regular holders when coaches figured out that they can practice with the placekicker and long-snapper w/o disrupting the rest of practice.

kingh99
12-22-2006, 12:35 PM

Ownership needs to stop trying to play coach. This owner is Mark Cuban without the flair. He's using money he picked clean off of chump investors and is now getting to play like a little kid with toys. Both are equally disgusting in my eyes.

Runner
12-22-2006, 01:32 PM
Rosenfels outplayed Carr in the preseason but did we give the starting job to the player that played the best? Nope, we gave it to the player we wanted to have the job.

Similar to starting Salaam rather than bringing Wand back after Spencer got hurt. Heck, in some opinions the same reasoning had Spencer as a rookie starting over Wand rather than let him develop as a back-up.

This goes straight to the "team culture" topics that have been discussed lately. It isn't building a winning mindset to let the players know the best players won't be on the field. Good play is less important than other factors. No wonder the players look like they give up - the organization isn't trying their hardest to win, why should they bust their butts on the field?

thunderkyss
12-22-2006, 02:06 PM
Similar to starting Salaam rather than bringing Wand back after Spencer got hurt. Heck, in some opinions the same reasoning had Spencer as a rookie starting over Wand rather than let him develop as a back-up.

There were somethings said about cutting Wand... that his problem had nothing to do with his play on the field.... same for Gary Walker, & Robaire Smith.

What if they were released because of an attitude towards a particular player??

A QB perhaps??

Double Barrel
12-22-2006, 02:17 PM
There were somethings said about cutting Wand... that his problem had nothing to do with his play on the field.... same for Gary Walker, & Robaire Smith.

A QB perhaps??

If it ever comes out that this was the case, then I'd put our owner right up there with the meddlesome Bud Adams, and Mr. McNair would definitely be in line for someone to blame for this team's history of failure.

I surely hope this is not the truth, though, because it means we could be in for a long haul of losing.

L33Z71
12-22-2006, 03:34 PM

no doubt that holding is not high risk, but there still is risk involved. Now that being said, you only have 2 QB's in your stable, DC is not necessarily known to be injury prone, but does get hit an aweful lot, and you have already benched him for a half of a game because of his play. Do you still put your one and only backup QB in there to hold the ball for the kick? Me thinks there had to be someone else on the team capable of holding the ball at that point in time.

Runner
12-22-2006, 03:42 PM

A QB perhaps??

If I had to guess, I'd say that was not the case with Wand. He isn't that outspoken whether he liked the QB or not. However, if I had to guess I would say it might have been the case with other players.

DenverBorn
12-27-2006, 12:32 AM
I would like to propose a ban on all lame and millions-of-times-recycled wordplays involving projection of Carr as an automobile.

They weren't that funny five years ago and they sure as hell aren't funny now.

Funny - somewhere else you mentioned that you didn't start following the Texans until you moved back to Houston in 2003.

http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?p=550452#post550452

So how the hell do you know what was or wasn't funny five years ago? You weren"t even here!