PDA

View Full Version : Best O-lineman in the coming draft

Goldeagle
12-20-2006, 09:09 PM
Has a Guard ever been taken high in the draft?

Any decent Guards in this coming draft

YoungTexanFan
12-21-2006, 12:25 AM

Any decent Guards in this coming draft

Usually one or two interior OLmen go in the 1st round. This year it seems as though Blaylock will go 1st round.

There are quite a few good OG's in the draft that won't go 1st round though. Highlighted by the two Auburn OG's. Manuel Rameriez is a very good Mauling OG, destined for RG in the Pros. The OG from Hawiaii is very solid but will need time adjusting to a pro style offense, but he can pass block.

I just really feel the two Aurburn OG's are our best bets. They have played well in the SEC for two years, blocked for two top 5 picks and another possible 1st rounder, and played on the same line as the best rookie OT this year.

mexican_texan
12-21-2006, 12:27 AM
We're not looking for guards anytime soon, unless you think Spencer can play LT or if you seriously think Weary will work as our C.

YoungTexanFan
12-21-2006, 02:04 AM
We're not looking for guards anytime soon, unless you think Spencer can play LT or if you seriously think Weary will work as our C.

I don't think Spencer is our LT, nor Winston, but he asked about interior linemen and I answred the question. Weary was the top rated C in his draft class and I think he will be fine at C and certinally no worse than McKinny/Hodgen/Flanagan.

ThaShark316
12-21-2006, 04:20 AM
What about Winston @ Rg...haha shut up and stop looking at me like that. :yahoo::hides:

Meloy
12-21-2006, 09:34 AM
I know, I know! Let's get a guard and make him a left tackle!! That's NEVER been done before. Whooee, I am so smart. What? Oh. Never mind.

beerlover
12-21-2006, 11:12 AM
Championship teams year after year select offensive lineman/guards @ the end of the 1st rd. maybe they know something? maybe expansions teams should pay attention, bite the bullet in the beginning, pass on the maquee players & trade down aquiring more late 1st, 2nd & 3rd picks building both offensive & defensive lines with the best, brightest & youngest talent then watch them develop together as an all pro unit over the years.......:pigfly:

That being said the only Guard who might sneek in the 1st rd. is Boston College, Josh Beekman 6-2 318. He has played some Center & has the perfect build for that position, don't think the Texans would use that 2nd rd. pick on him though, so once again odds are that he ends up on a pretty good team that understands the importance of talent & depth on the OL :bowser:

Vinny
12-21-2006, 12:47 PM
Mike Munchack wasn't a bad top 10 pick at guard....he ended up in the hall of fame. (http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.jsp?player_id=157)

Meloy
12-21-2006, 01:55 PM
Mike Munchack wasn't a bad top 10 pick at guard....he ended up in the hall of fame. (http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.jsp?player_id=157)Munch & Matthews, if only we could clone them. I remember posting once that Seth Payne and Chester Pitts could be the new M&M. Well at least Pitts is still on the team. Didn't Matthews earn honors at guard and tackle?

painekiller
12-22-2006, 12:51 AM
That being said the only Guard who might sneek in the 1st rd. is Boston College, Josh Beekman 6-2 318. He has played some Center & has the perfect build for that position, don't think the Texans would use that 2nd rd. pick on him though, so once again odds are that he ends up on a pretty good team that understands the importance of talent & depth on the OL :bowser:

The kid from UT, Blalock, is being considered a guard prospect at the next level, and I am seeing him at the top of the list for inside OL. He is capable of playing some tackle simular to Pitts, but guard is where I have read him being projected. Where ever they play him he will be a good one.

Grid
12-22-2006, 02:08 AM
Spencer, if he comes back 100%..is our LT of the future imo. Winston I think could possibly be a guard, but I think he could be RT as well.

Dont forget Hodgdon at Center as well.

Guard strikes me as our biggest need on the line.

YoungTexanFan
12-22-2006, 03:09 AM
Spencer, if he comes back 100%..is our LT of the future imo. Winston I think could possibly be a guard, but I think he could be RT as well.

I want no part of Hodgon at C. He just can't preform like need needs to. It's bad enough to where he actually stands out as poor on OUR line!

red bull
12-22-2006, 06:58 AM
Munch & Matthews, if only we could clone them. I remember posting once that Seth Payne and Chester Pitts could be the new M&M. Well at least Pitts is still on the team. Didn't Matthews earn honors at guard and tackle?

When you posted it were you aware that Seth Payne is a defensive lineman?:ok:

mexican_texan
12-22-2006, 12:02 PM

Really? I'd be fine with Weary and Pitts if we can get a decent C and RT.

Goldeagle
12-22-2006, 11:12 PM
You just dont hear much about interior Lineman so I cant really guage how well Pitts, Weary, Hodgen and McKinney play. Ive seen McKinney have his head on a swivel as a Defender blows by him to sack Carr and I heard a couple of times if an opposing D runs a simple stunt, our Guards are totally lost.

If we could get Dockery and/or Steinbach in Free Agency that would be nice, but if not, Im all for adding a great G to our team.

Dunta_23
12-22-2006, 11:48 PM
What is Hogdons value as a guard? worth keeping on the team?

beerlover
12-23-2006, 12:04 AM
What is Hogdons value as a guard? worth keeping on the team?

Hogs is a jouneyman @ best, can't stay healthy & not particularly impressive when he does play :thumbdown

nunusguy
12-23-2006, 10:43 AM

In a very unusualy Draft, 2 of the 3 OLineman taken in the 2006 first round were not tackles. This is probably more of an indication of how weak the Draft was for tackles than anything, because the highest premium placed on O Lineman is for their athleticism. That's because the tackles, epecially the LTs, have the biggest challenges in going against the Ds edge pass rushers.

Texian
12-23-2006, 05:03 PM
I think Weary could go to C and Winston because of his short arms moves to G. Spencer will get every opportunity at LT.

painekiller
12-24-2006, 04:40 PM
I think today answered the Hogdgon question, he seems to not be the long term answer at center. So OLT is the big question, can Spencer get healthy.

kastofsna
12-24-2006, 08:32 PM
my big sleeper: Nello Faulk, T, FAU.

BattleRedToro
12-24-2006, 08:45 PM
Didn't Matthews earn honors at guard and tackle?

By that do you mean, did he make the Pro Bowl as a Guard and as a Tackle?

The answer is yes. Not only did he make it to the Pro Bowl as a Tackle and Guard, he also made it as a Center if I remember correctly. Also, I believe I remember him playing all 5 positions of the O-Line throughout his career.