PDA

View Full Version : Question for the people who've been here long enough to remember...

ThaShark316
12-20-2006, 08:30 PM
I want to know, since we're kinda all talking about the nfl draft...

How bad was the "We need to trade up to get Sean Taylor" stuff in 2004? I just wanna know...I wasnt on the Board then to remember what would go down...

(btw, move this if you mods have to...i'm just a little curious...)

thetexanator
12-20-2006, 08:43 PM
if i remember correctly the board wanted to trade up to get him, but not everyone did. i think some people (like myself) thought there was a drop off after picks 1-8. we didnt think we should be giving up stuff to get taylor but i think everyone hoped he fell to us .

ArlingtonTexan
12-20-2006, 08:44 PM
IIRC, there was a vocal minoroty who wanted that, but most people had questions about his character or realized that the Texans did not need to trade multiple parts for one player.

Honoring Earl 34
12-20-2006, 08:47 PM
He was no PBuch .

infantrycak
12-20-2006, 08:51 PM
Every year the Texans do not hold the #1 draft pick there will be a trade up contingency. There were folks who wanted Rogers over AJ in 2003 and willing to pay some price for the "clearly" better prospect. In 2004 folks wanted to trade up for the best LT prospect since Orlando Pace--Gallery as well as contingents for Sean Taylor and DeAngelo Hall. 2005 was kind of an off year (too many variables in who was going where) but some folks thought a move up would be necessary for Derrick Johnson or Alex Barron.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
12-20-2006, 09:08 PM
Every year on this board it is absolute mayhem around draft time. You have your trade up for X player faction, trade down and get an extra pick for Y player faction, we must draft Z player faction, etc. I started posting on this board near the end of the 2003 season, and I was chomping at the bit for us to draft Vince Wilfork.

beerlover
12-20-2006, 10:29 PM
I was chomping at the bit for us to draft Vince Wilfork.

I thought for sure in 2004 that Tommy Harris DT Oklahoma was going to be a Texan. A combination of Williams & Harris would be formidable :bowser:

But to answear the question the calls for Taylor where second to only one in Texans draft lore that being VY :shades: maybe Derrick Johnson a distant 3rd & they passed on him too :hides:

Texas_Thrill
12-20-2006, 11:14 PM
I for one was in that Trade Up for Taylor camp. He's had two incidents (spitting and gun charges) that people call into question. Other than that he's been one of the league's top safeties. I have been happy with dunta robinson.

The year of Derrick Johnson was a mess in itself b/c the FO told us we would NOT draft him b/c he was a 4-3 LB. Then they went and picked Travis Johnson a 4-3 DT. :confused:

This past year though has been by far the worse I've seen the board in camping up for sides though.

Grid
12-20-2006, 11:17 PM
I thought, at the time, that the Sean Taylor thing was bad. I only had one foot in the Sean Taylor camp.. I wouldnt have minded having him but I wasnt yearning for his touch or anything.

After that I remember thinking; "thank god that is over, I doubt we have a contraversy like that again".. HAH.. next year it was Derrick Johnson.. which topped the Sean Taylor one, by far. Then, of course, Vince Young and Reggie Bush.. good lord.

At this rate I figure we will see some shootings in Reliant parking lot this year.. and WMDs by 2010.

Texas_Thrill
12-20-2006, 11:20 PM
I thought, at the time, that the Sean Taylor thing was bad. I only had one foot in the Sean Taylor camp.. I wouldnt have minded having him but I wasnt yearning for his touch or anything.

After that I remember thinking; "thank god that is over, I doubt we have a contraversy like that again".. HAH.. next year it was Derrick Johnson.. which topped the Sean Taylor one, by far. Then, of course, Vince Young and Reggie Bush.. good lord.

At this rate I figure we will see some shootings in Reliant parking lot this year.. and WMDs by 2010.

lmao, that was hilarious. why wait till 2010 for the WMD's though? You know we are hiding all those ones from Iraq under reliant. I'm thinking its the fumes from them that are causing are poor play.

Vinny
12-20-2006, 11:22 PM
Every year the Texans do not hold the #1 draft pick there will be a trade up contingency. There were folks who wanted Rogers over AJ in 2003 and willing to pay some price for the "clearly" better prospect. In 2004 folks wanted to trade up for the best LT prospect since Orlando Pace--Gallery as well as contingents for Sean Taylor and DeAngelo Hall. 2005 was kind of an off year (too many variables in who was going where) but some folks thought a move up would be necessary for Derrick Johnson or Alex Barron. The real shame here is we traded the Jammal Brown (http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-27/1166633770196120.xml&coll=1) pick to the Saints for Travis Johnson. He made the Pro Bowl at offensive tackle this year.

tulexan
12-20-2006, 11:24 PM

My prediction...

Joe Thomas and Adrian Peterson fall to us, but we opt to pick the punter from Southwest Missouri State because it was a need pick v BPA.
Mass riots fill the streets of Houston causing the city to go into martial law.

Second Honeymoon
12-20-2006, 11:25 PM
The real shame here is we traded the Jammal Brown (http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-27/1166633770196120.xml&coll=1) pick to the Saints for Travis Johnson. He made the Pro Bowl at offensive tackle this year.

In Casserley We Trust, we didn't need an Offensive Tackle in that draft....oh wait..never mind

YoungTexanFan
12-21-2006, 12:11 AM
The clamor for ST was pretty big. Most people would attempt to throw out ficticous mock drafts and force ST down to our pick. I was in the trade up for ST camp, and the is the only time I have ever considered the notion of trading up for someone, though we haven't had many chances to actually move up since.

beerlover
12-21-2006, 01:14 AM
The clamor for ST was pretty big. Most people would attempt to throw out ficticous mock drafts and force ST down to our pick. I was in the trade up for ST camp, and the is the only time I have ever considered the notion of trading up for someone, though we haven't had many chances to actually move up since.

I'm sure we could have traded up for Sean Taylor with the #10 pick plus 2nd/3rd & 4th rd. picks Casserly traded for Babin :)

YoungTexanFan
12-21-2006, 01:37 AM
I'm sure we could have traded up for Sean Taylor with the #10 pick plus 2nd/3rd & 4th rd. picks Casserly traded for Babin :)

Ahh yes... :hides:

TigerV1
12-21-2006, 09:31 AM
The real shame here is we traded the Jammal Brown (http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-27/1166633770196120.xml&coll=1) pick to the Saints for Travis Johnson. He made the Pro Bowl at offensive tackle this year.

Yep, this one hurts. :tearup:

Meloy
12-21-2006, 09:42 AM
In Casserley We Trust, we didn't need an Offensive Tackle in that draft....oh wait..never mind"But, hey.. I only drafted what the coaches wanted." Ok, then why did the Texans need you?

Lucky
12-21-2006, 10:06 AM
In Casserley We Trust, we didn't need an Offensive Tackle in that draft....oh wait..never mind
Casserly said that Brown was a Right Tackle and we alread had Todd Wade there. What was needed was a Left Tackle, which Brown was not.

BTW, Brown made the Pro Bowl as a Left Tackle.

threetoedpete
12-21-2006, 09:24 PM
I want to know, since we're kinda all talking about the nfl draft...

How bad was the "We need to trade up to get Sean Taylor" stuff in 2004? I just wanna know...I wasnt on the Board then to remember what would go down...

(btw, move this if you mods have to...i'm just a little curious...)

I'm guilty as charged. I was one. His numbers were unreal for a saftey. I think my big quote if we took him we could "tear the cover off the defensive play book. " Wasn't that the Babin year..might as well have done it.

Sarg01
12-21-2006, 11:01 PM
I was in the move for Taylor group, but I was only willing to give a 4th, which meant moving to 6 (detroit) or 7 (cleveland) and Washington rendered that moot at 5. My contingency plan was exactly what happened, DeAngelo gone to Atlanta at 8 and we grabbed the only other player we should have been considering - Dunta Robinson.

The Taylor "hype" is overrated around here. Sure, there were some lunatic mocks - but the real lunacy was the Gallery faction - some of those guys wanted to package the next year's 1st for him and everyone knew it would take at least a 2nd. No one mentions those guys though, since everyone knew we needed an OT and some folks thought we didn't need a FS ... hmm.

bad
12-21-2006, 11:40 PM
The Sean Taylor minority was extremely vocal and they had at least one good point. We were (and still are) in need of a Roy Williams Jr. type of safety and taylor fit the mold perfectly in terms of talent and ability. We know how that turned out and I for one am glad we passed.

I believe the only instance where one player has gotten more pre-draft love was this last year's draft, with Vince Young.

We must always remember "MONARCH." He of the flowing prose and burnt orange sky, master of the Caps Lock key.

The Reggie Bush crowd didn't need to be as vocal, because they had ESPiN on their side. We still don't know how that will turn out but I for one am getting an all-too familiar sinking feeling.

They were the best of times.
They were the worst of times.

kastofsna
12-22-2006, 08:26 AM
i love when people force players down to their team's pick in their mock. like it'll actually come true. last year plenty of dolphin fans had jay cutler sitting there at the 16th pick.....yeah okay.

sean taylor was without a doubt the best prospect in the '04 draft. i think he's a little overrated now in the league (he's a disaster in coverage), but he's still very good.