PDA

View Full Version : The O-line Excuse

HoustonFrog
12-18-2006, 06:54 PM
I'm going to preface this by saying I know the O-line has been horrible over the years with a few exceptions and stretches. I know there has been injuries this season. With that said....

I watched Bledsoe in Dallas get pounded. Everyone up there said that no matter who they put in, they would have trouble. They made the switch to someone who could at least avoid the rush and once they did, he made plays and succeeded. Carr is supposed to make similar plays with his "athleticism" but doesn't. The same thing happened when Brady took over for Bledsoe in N.E. Bledsoe is a statue but they could get nothing going and then some with a different feel for the game came in. VY has done it with a line that was looking horrible with Kerry Collins. Arizona has had one of the worst O-lines for years and they are starting to have some success with a QB who isn't as mobile as Carr. Rosenfels, even though it was in alleged "mop-up" role looked comfortable with our line and made plays downfield and around him.

Here is the funny part. One day we will have a QB that can slide in the pocket and make plays despite a rush and then people will say, "I wish Carr had that priotection when he was here."

Some QBs make plays despite the talent and make others around them better. Some QBs make their line look good. If we have to sit for 2 more years and give a guy the "optimal" situation and baby him, then we have the wrong guy.

Texan1
12-18-2006, 07:00 PM
I thought Carr would be a super bowl QB and a good QB. Heck, he still might be a super bowl QB given the right situation. But, that doesn't mean anything, b/c there have been plenty of average QBs that have made it to the Super Bowl.

Bottom line is the Texans need a good (special) QB. Carrr is not playing well - the O line excuse is just an excuse for Carr's poor play

elbison
12-18-2006, 07:02 PM
[QUOTE=HoustonFrog;543491]Rosenfels, even though it was in alleged "mop-up role looked comfortible with our line and made plays downfield and around him.
QUOTE]

Yeah, I wonder why Carr couldn't perform in "mop-up time" yesterday?

:tease:

HoustonFrog
12-18-2006, 07:14 PM
[QUOTE=HoustonFrog;543491]Rosenfels, even though it was in alleged "mop-up role looked comfortible with our line and made plays downfield and around him.
QUOTE]

Yeah, I wonder why Carr couldn't perform in "mop-up time" yesterday?

:tease:

Well that is why I put that is because when I referred to Rosenfels before on here I was told it was "mop up" even thought he almost won the game.

elbison
12-18-2006, 07:17 PM
[QUOTE=elbison;543497]

Well that is why I put that is because when I referred to Rosenfels before on here I was told it was "mop up" even thought he almost won the game.

Right. Carr can't even get anything done in mop-up time. It's sad. :hides:

thunderkyss
12-18-2006, 07:19 PM
When Sage came in at the end of the Dallas game, and when he played the second half of the Titans game, you saw for the first time, a real empty set, and real 4 & 5 WR sets. Never before used with this regime, never before used in a regular season game........ but we put the back up in, and we start doing some crazy things, like stretching the field.

I don't care, even if you think that was garbage time. we didn't do any of that stuff against Philly, Indy, or Washington. Even in Garbage time, with our starting QB...

Why do you think that is??

If you watched the game yesterday, David took plenty of 7 step drops, he had nice pockets to work out of, and he just made one bad throw after another.

Yes he got sacked 4 times, I'm not saying he didn't. but he had a pocket, he had protection.

HoustonFrog
12-18-2006, 07:30 PM
When Sage came in at the end of the Dallas game, and when he played the second half of the Titans game, you saw for the first time, a real empty set, and real 4 & 5 WR sets. Never before used with this regime, never before used in a regular season game........ but we put the back up in, and we start doing some crazy things, like stretching the field.

I don't care, even if you think that was garbage time. we didn't do any of that stuff against Philly, Indy, or Washington. Even in Garbage time, with our starting QB...

Why do you think that is??

If you watched the game yesterday, David took plenty of 7 step drops, he had nice pockets to work out of, and he just made one bad throw after another.

Yes he got sacked 4 times, I'm not saying he didn't. but he had a pocket, he had protection.

Exactly. Some guys get it and can function out it. To answer your question above, I think it is because Carr just isn't that smart and can't take in much information as plays develop, thus he goes into the fetal position. They dumb things down for him.

ATX
12-18-2006, 08:50 PM
If Carr had the abilities to burn the opposing team, I guarantee our Oline would look better. When they can pass rush without fearing getting burned, the Oline will always look bad because no Defense respects David Carr.

No Defense Respects David Carr abilities as a QB, end of story.

Runner
12-18-2006, 09:25 PM
Pointing out the faults of the o-line is legitimate because the line has problems. Not every o-line post is a defense of Carr. In fact, some fans like to discuss other aspects of the team and leave Carr out of the conversation.

The people who are tired of hearing from the "Carr Lovers" make it worse when they assume that every post (even from people who don't support Carr) is about defending him. They aren't.

To be fair, the people who are tired of hearing from the "Carr Haters" do the same thing. If someone tries to discuss anything - like should Andre be in the Probowl - they have to spin it to "he drops too many balls and makes Carr look bad".

I guess I'm just sick of all Carr, all the time. I also realize this has turned into a "leave the Carr stuff in the Carr threads" post and I have jsut wasted two minutes of my life. It's too much to ask that posters respect those others who would like to discuss something else.

My monthly rant is now over.

mexican_texan
12-18-2006, 09:28 PM
Only two games left...then the real debate begins...we're just warming up...:stirpot:

DALLAS_6 in 07
12-18-2006, 09:46 PM
Only two games left...then the real debate begins...we're just warming up...:stirpot: Well you Texans fan are the most loyal fans I have EVER seen !! That thread about the Texans vs Patriots was HILARIOUS !!! What i dont understand is how can 2 new Coaches take on 2 talent starved teams and have completely opposite results...case in point.....KUBIAK= TExans Sean Peyton= New Orleans both had weak O-Lines last year both had terrible records...now New Orleans is play-off bound !! New Orleans got rid of their QB Houston didn't...the o-line excuse is a load of bologna...Look what Romo has done for Dallas with the same O-line as Bledsoe had...and what the **LL is up with the "FAKE" crowd noise at Reliant stadium...???? huh?? a friend of mine was at the Titans game and he noticed that no-body was cheering and the stadium was LOUD ? that is seriously " PATHETIC" !!!!

mexican_texan
12-18-2006, 09:49 PM
Well you Texans fan are the most loyal fans I have EVER seen !! That thread about the Texans vs Patriots was HILARIOUS !!! What i dont understand is how can 2 new Coaches take on 2 talent starved teams and have completely opposite results...case in point.....KUBIAK= TExans Sean Peyton= New Orleans both had weak O-Lines last year both had terrible records...now New Orleans is play-off bound !! New Orleans got rid of their QB Houston didn't...the o-line excuse is a load of bologna...Look what Romo has done for Dallas with the same O-line as Bledsoe had...and what the **LL is up with the "FAKE" crowd noise at Reliant stadium...???? huh?? a friend of mine was at the Titans game and he noticed that no-body was cheering and the stadium was LOUD ? that is seriously " PATHETIC" !!!!
I heard a lot of noise came from the upper levels...as for fake noise....its laughable.

Runner
12-18-2006, 09:50 PM
Only two games left...then the real debate begins...we're just warming up...:stirpot:

You don't want to know my opinion of that stirring the pot smilie.

mganz
12-18-2006, 09:56 PM
I heard a lot of noise came from the upper levels...as for fake noise....its laughable.

I was at the game as well. there was no "fake noise". It was as loud as i've heard it.

West Texas Texan
12-18-2006, 10:38 PM
I have stayed away from the DC issue all season. But yesterday was a complete meltdown by the QB. One of the picks was tipped at the line of scrimmage, so was excuseable. The other three were just plain high school sophmore quarterback mistakes.

Rich Gannon (announcer and ex-QB) was pretty accurate in explaining the mistakes DC was making, over and over again. We are in week 14 of the season for cryin out loud. Comments like "if you wait, you're late". Releasing the ball after the receiver makes his break, staring down the receiver, etc.

How about the big sack from up the middle, when it was supposed to be a screen pass - the rb was covered by the DE, so DC takes a 16 yd sack. All other pro QB's throw the ball into the back of the rb's calves - incomplete pass, re-rack for the next play.

One time there were four defensive players lined up on the right side of the center, showing blitz. Thats 4 rushing defenders with only the RG and RT to block them. Guess what's going to happen.... 31 QB's in the NFL (well 30 maybe - Radio, the Titans QB, wouldn't pick up the read either) would make the hot audible, one step drop and throw the quick slant. DC takes a 5 step drop and gets sacked. MUST BE THE WEAK O LINE......

Making the right reads, making the play. There were many times with 6 -7 seconds to throw, yet he dumps off to a safety valve for no gain.

These are fundamental errors, all of which are mental errors. If someone doesn't have the physical skills, most coaches will have no problem with that. However, there is no excuse for mental mistakes.

DC's been throwing to these receivers all year, and we still don't have our timing down yet? I don't get it. The receivers are beginning to show their frustrations on the field.... It's getting bad out there.

How does the NFL commercial go ? "Ametuers practice to get it right, professionals practice until they can't get it wrong".

eriadoc
12-19-2006, 11:34 AM
The O-line is playing atrociously (worse than Dallas' line was playing with Bledsoe). The QB is playing atrociously, and getting worse every week.

It's not looking good across the board.