PDA

View Full Version : We must Re-Begin with Quinn

Oilersfan
12-17-2006, 09:08 PM
We can all sit here and complain about all the mistakes that the Texans have made in the past till were blue in the face, I myself have posted plenty.Fact is, Vince Young or Reggie Bush aren't Texans, nor will they ever be. So where do we go from here.We start by getting a great on the field leader.Like it or not the quaterback is supposed to be the heart and soul of the team. I dont think there is one guy on the Patriots that wouldn't go to the mat for Tom Brady. just look back through the years and see that every great team had a great leader at the QB position.No the 2001 Ravens were not a great team. Great talent does not mean a great leader, the leadership comes from within,it can't be taught, you either have it or you don't. It baffels me that McNair can't figure this out. He above anyone should no this. He didn't become a billionaire by not being a great leader. Mr McNair needs to review the tapes of the Notre Dame vs Michigan St and the Notre Dame vs UCLA games and I think he find the type of leader this team needs.Just like Vince Young when the chips are down this guy spits in the face of defeat, David Carr Smiles.
I know that were looking at no better than the #3 pick, and looking at the two
pathetic teams in front of us, the Lions and Raiders they also need a QB. The positive thing for us is that these two teams have clowns running the circus.We shouldn't have a problem hoodwinking the top slot form one of these two teams.Remember everyone, this is only McNair's 5th year in the league, unlike Carr I think he will turn things around.

NOTE: I am not a Notre Dame Sympathizer, In fact I can't stand them.
But I can't stand losing more.

joedinkle
12-17-2006, 09:23 PM
Norte Dame has played teams not in its league all year to include Navy(Go Navy, Beat Army), Army, and Air Force. Brady Quinn is overrated. He is David Carr part deux. I'm all for replacing Carr ASAP, just not with Brady Quinn.

hot pickle
12-17-2006, 09:24 PM
we need to Re-Begin with someone,weather it be quinn, smith, or kolb, i bet even with a rookie QB we will win more games next season then this season, carr is not the QB houston needs, so everyone get over carr and let him go

TexanSam
12-17-2006, 09:26 PM
Norte Dame has played teams not in its league all year to include Navy(Go Navy, Beat Army), Army, and Air Force. Brady Quinn is overrated. He is David Carr part deux. I'm all for replacing Carr ASAP, just not with Brady Quinn.

Same here. I don't want Brady Quinn. If we draft Kevin Kolb in the 2nd or 3rd round, or somehow Troy Smith falls into our laps, I would take either of those two over Quinn. Had Quinn come out last season, he would have been the 4th QB taken. I think he's overrated. We can find a good QB project in the 2nd or 3rd round and let him sit for a year or two. If we do draft a QB, I don't want him starting his rookie year.

hot pickle
12-17-2006, 09:35 PM
what about free agency, what kind of QB's are there, maybe we could get matt schaub or something, the next few years look really weak when it comes to QB in the draft,

TexanSam
12-17-2006, 09:37 PM
what about free agency, what kind of QB's are there, maybe we could get matt schaub or something, the next few years look really weak when it comes to QB in the draft,

Matt Schaub is a restricted free agent and I'm guessing the Falcons would want a 1st round pick for him. No way we give up our 1st rounder for him this year. If they took our 1st round pick next year or in 2009, I'd do it.

Oilersfan
12-17-2006, 09:47 PM
Matt Schaub is a restricted free agent and I'm guessing the Falcons would want a 1st round pick for him. No way we give up our 1st rounder for him this year. If they took our 1st round pick next year or in 2009, I'd do it.

I think the Falcons are just about sick of Vick. Schaub is staying right where he is.

johndoe
12-17-2006, 09:56 PM
troy smith in the second looks pretty decent right about now... especially sandwithed between adrian peterson and a good LT

Grid
12-17-2006, 09:59 PM
JaMarcus Russell.. LSU.

We need a QB that fits the scheme, Quinn aint it.

austintexanite
12-17-2006, 10:00 PM
Norte Dame has played teams not in its league all year to include Navy(Go Navy, Beat Army), Army, and Air Force. Brady Quinn is overrated.

I agree man, he hasn't shown me anything. I like Notre Dame, but he reminds me of Rick Mirer...I just don't see him doing anything in the NFL. I could be wrong, but hey, I don't get paid for my opinions.

johndoe
12-17-2006, 10:02 PM
if jamarcus russell declares what round would he be projected to go in

Grid
12-17-2006, 10:03 PM
from what ive read.. he would be a mid first to early second.. but his physical abilities could, and probably would, put him in the top 10... once it was all said and done with workouts and the combine and such.

Oilersfan
12-17-2006, 10:05 PM
[QUOTE=Grid;542249]JaMarcus Russell.. LSU.

We need a QB that fits the scheme, Quinn aint it.[/Q

Your probally right he doesn't fit the 1 yard and a cloud of dust, 5 yard out route scheme.
Come on JaMarcus Russell, we might as well sign Byron Leftwich. STOP LISTENING TO CHARLIE, SCHEMES DONT WIN GAMES PLAYERS DO, 40 TIMES DONT WIN GAMES PLAYERS DO. VERTICLE LEAP DOESNT WIN GAMES PLAYERS DO, THROWING STYLE DOESNT WIN GAMES PLAYERS DO. SCHEME WHAT SCHEME? BRADY QUINN OR BUST, THREE SUPERBOWL TITLES ARE WAITING.

Oilersfan
12-17-2006, 10:07 PM

Mid to late 3rd at best

johndoe
12-17-2006, 10:12 PM
personally im in favor of taking taking troy smith in the second if hes available, hes got a cannon of an arm and is very mobile(4.6 forty)... im not really sure what kind of a leader he is though, but what the heck vince young didnt win the heisman trophy!!!!

ROKN ZJ
12-17-2006, 10:47 PM
Your probally right he doesn't fit the 1 yard and a cloud of dust, 5 yard out route scheme.
Come on JaMarcus Russell, we might as well sign Byron Leftwich. STOP LISTENING TO CHARLIE, SCHEMES DONT WIN GAMES PLAYERS DO, 40 TIMES DONT WIN GAMES PLAYERS DO. VERTICLE LEAP DOESNT WIN GAMES PLAYERS DO, THROWING STYLE DOESNT WIN GAMES PLAYERS DO. SCHEME WHAT SCHEME? BRADY QUINN OR BUST, THREE SUPERBOWL TITLES ARE WAITING.

It sounds like you like "intangables" i.e. a winner, and Quinn isn't a winner. If anything he is a nice system QB which is the opposite of youre little rant. He *WOULD* be the next Carr, or if you want the next Eli Manning. Someone way overhyped coming out of college just because he fit the mold everyone thinks a QB sould fit.

Plus he'd cost way too much $$$, and the Texans would have to move up to pick #1 to get him anyway. It's not worth it. Just pick AP, and get a servicable QB through free agency. Or keep Carr another year, skate to another top 5 draft pick and get Brohm when he comes out.

ROKN ZJ
12-17-2006, 10:48 PM
BTW I'm pretty sure the Browns will take Troy Smith, so thats not even an option. The Texans/Vince scenario made it even harder for them to pass on him, especially if he win OSU a national championship.

As for the Heisman comment I can either rebut it with the fact that after the Rose Bowl last year everyone agreed Vince should have one it, or I can point you to all the Heisman winners who didnt make it in the NFL (jasone White, Eric Crouch, etc.). Take your pick,

hollywood_texan
12-17-2006, 11:01 PM
I think taking any high priced QB (draft or free agent) is too risky at this time!

The best thing to do right now is to slowly dig out of this by concentrating on the lines and defensive secondary.

If the team improves dramatically next year and it looks like the last piece is a QB, go for it then!

Too many holes to fill to definitely bring in a rookie unless they can put a team on his back. Quinn doesn't seem like a guy that you put an NFL team on his back.

Vinny
12-17-2006, 11:04 PM
if jamarcus russell declares what round would he be projected to go inFirst round talent...mark it, book it, I'm sure of it.

mexican_texan
12-17-2006, 11:05 PM
From what I've heard, Quinn will be like Carr...no longfield throws, conservative, pretty, etc.

I'm all for Russell, obviously, but I want a QB with more mobility than Carr more than anything.

Oilersfan
12-17-2006, 11:11 PM
It sounds like you like "intangables" i.e. a winner, and Quinn isn't a winner. If anything he is a nice system QB which is the opposite of youre little rant. He *WOULD* be the next Carr, or if you want the next Eli Manning. Someone way overhyped coming out of college just because he fit the mold everyone thinks a QB sould fit.

Plus he'd cost way too much $$$, and the Texans would have to move up to pick #1 to get him anyway. It's not worth it. Just pick AP, and get a servicable QB through free agency. Or keep Carr another year, skate to another top 5 draft pick and get Brohm when he comes out.

The reason he would cost alot of money is because he's the real deal.Your in the minority thinking this guy doesn't have what it takes, you sound like your on Casserly's payroll. You want to talk about system Qbs, look no further than Brian Brohm,It doesn't get anymore systematic than the Louisville offense.At least Quinn runs something resembling an NFL offense.As for AP, he has all the talent in the world.But do you really want to gamble on getting another injury prone back (see Dominick Davis)

texman8
12-17-2006, 11:20 PM
I'll rather draft Joe Thomas first. If he's gone, trade down and get extra picks. Draft Justin Blaylock or CB. Love Michael Bush and best LB in 2nd. Maybe Kolb in 3rd.

ROKN ZJ
12-17-2006, 11:48 PM
The reason he would cost alot of money is because he's the real deal.Your in the minority thinking this guy doesn't have what it takes, you sound like your on Casserly's payroll. You want to talk about system Qbs, look no further than Brian Brohm,It doesn't get anymore systematic than the Louisville offense.At least Quinn runs something resembling an NFL offense.As for AP, he has all the talent in the world.But do you really want to gamble on getting another injury prone back (see Dominick Davis)

Umm Carr costs a lot of money does that mean he's the real deal? Just because a QB is projected #1 doesn't mean he's going to work out. Quinn is not the answer, and going with him would set the Texans back another 6-years. He IS the next Carr. He's not a leader. if you don't believe me, look at all the other posts in this thread that are saying the same thing.

Texas_Thrill
12-17-2006, 11:56 PM

NUFF SAID.

Texas_Thrill
12-17-2006, 11:58 PM
NOT TO MENTION.......why bring in any high rated qb (ala DC) with NO offensive line in place yet. We'd be repeating the same craziness all over again.

TheRealJoker
12-17-2006, 11:59 PM
The draft is a crapshoot.

Every year there is an excellent player that didn't "grade out" and an excellent prototypical player that stinks it up.

I am not for drafting qb in the 1st.

mean mark8
12-18-2006, 12:02 AM
I want somebody who has proven to be a winner. Brady Quinn hasn't taken his team to the promised land. He loses big games. Smith out of OSU has played with the big boys and only lost 1 or 2 games in his entire collegiate career. For some reason, people have him as a second rounder. Let's trade down in the 1st to get another pick and take him late 1st round if he's available. Let's see if either the Eagles would trade Garcia for Carr or Miami would trade Culpepper for Carr. We play the vet for a year with Smith learning and playing in routes then he gets it his sophomore year.

Second Honeymoon
12-18-2006, 12:05 AM
We wont pick early enough to get him. Not sold on his arm. Love his intellect and ability to deal with pressure (both on/off field) and seems to have a desire to win EVERY football game.

I want to go the veteran QB route and draft a prospect at QB in the 3rd of 4th round....i dont want to draft another early draft QB...that would set the organization up for failure. we need to go the conservative route and get a game manager ala Batch, Plummer, Huard, or Garcia for the near term and draft a Kolb or another late round QB for the long term.

sportsoutlaw
12-18-2006, 12:09 AM
I am not going to say Brady Quinn is not the answer, but I will say he would be an improvement over what the Texans currently have at quarterback.

You don't necessarily rebuild with a quarterback though. That was the mistake that the Texans made when they drafted David Carr. I was extremely against this when it happened, and when they decided to pick up that insane option on him this year, I was even more irritated. The guy has simply never shown himself to be a good quarterback. His success in college was thanks to having receivers that were better than the defenders, and an offensive line that was far better than the defensive line. That is how Fresno State runs their team. Good college quarterback, nothing more, nothing less.

That said, this team has many needs, one of them is a head coach that has a clue. I am not saying Kubiak is not this guy, but he had better improve his decision making. Rule #1 for a head coach...... Don't force your system on the players, adapt your system to the talent. This year, Kubiak forced his system and let talent go because they didn't fit the "system". Make that mistake again and this will be your last year as a head coach.

Houston needs a running back. The starting running back for the Houston Texans is not on this roster, he is in this draft, and his name is not Peterson. Houston already has a highly talented and injury prone running back that didn't play this year, don't draft Peterson just because he is from Texas to make up for screwing up the chance at Vince Young. (by the way, Reggie Bush was not the answer for this team either, so don't go there. Houston made a good choice by bypassing him). A guy that would be very nice in this system is Kenny Irons. Depending on when Houston picks, this may be a good move in the first round.

Offensive coaching might be a concern, but if you get a new quarterback that the team supports, I think you will immediately see better play all around. You don't need to do that with your first pick though.

Second Honeymoon
12-18-2006, 12:13 AM
I want somebody who has proven to be a winner. Brady Quinn hasn't taken his team to the promised land. He loses big games. Smith out of OSU has played with the big boys and only lost 1 or 2 games in his entire collegiate career. For some reason, people have him as a second rounder. Let's trade down in the 1st to get another pick and take him late 1st round if he's available. Let's see if either the Eagles would trade Garcia for Carr or Miami would trade Culpepper for Carr. We play the vet for a year with Smith learning and playing in routes then he gets it his sophomore year.

Culpepper for Carr? It's so crazy it just might work :) I guess it can't get any worse eh? I would jump all over that deal if they made it. Sadly, the dolphins arent stupid or desperate enough to pull the trigger on that deal

I agree 100% that we should pick up Troy Smith, but only if he falls to early 2nd round. He is a hell of a QB but his lack of height and size will hurt him in the grading process. He will be the 3rd or 4th rated QB in this draft....not my rating but i think Quinn and Brohm will both get more love than T.Smith when push comes to shove. He would be a steal in 2nd round especially due to our current predicament and drastic needs at other positions besides QB. Just pray he falls to us. He would automatically be an upgrade in locker room, huddle, and maybe even field from Day One.

sportsoutlaw
12-18-2006, 12:27 AM
Troy Smith will not suceed at the NFL level, don't make that mistake.

You don't want Culpepepper, better off with Harrington and the price is cheaper.

TreWardTxn
12-18-2006, 12:52 AM
[QUOTE=Grid;542249]JaMarcus Russell.. LSU.

We need a QB that fits the scheme, Quinn aint it.[/Q

JaMarcus Russell has more maneuverability than Carr does, and as big as he is, can withstand tackles from NFL linebackers. Whatever the case, he doesn't play anything like Leftwich, so don't compare them cause they look alike. At any rate, there is [B]100% NO CHANCE[B] that the Texans take a QB in the first round of the upcoming draft. They blew it in '06 and now they just have to live with it. Bring in Plummer and let him marshall the team to a couple seven win seasons before another QB develops.

TexanSam
12-18-2006, 12:56 AM
I want the Texans to draft Kevin Kolb. He's underrated IMO. I don't think he's a system QB either. Yes, Art Briles offense will make QB's look very good, but still, Kolb only threw 3 INTs this year. That's remarkable.

Grid
12-18-2006, 01:16 AM
[QUOTE=Oilersfan;542261]

JaMarcus Russell has more maneuverability than Carr does, and as big as he is, can withstand tackles from NFL linebackers. Whatever the case, he doesn't play anything like Leftwich, so don't compare them cause they look alike. At any rate, there is [B]100% NO CHANCE[B] that the Texans take a QB in the first round of the upcoming draft. They blew it in '06 and now they just have to live with it. Bring in Plummer and let him marshall the team to a couple seven win seasons before another QB develops.

I dont see why it has to go that way. Draft a QB in the first and let him ride the pine while Kubiak develops him. Let plummer lead the team for a season, maybe give the rookie a couple games to start towards the end of the season.

I just figure... why take a chance on a later round QB? Get the guy you have the most faith will be a playmaker for you.. and let Kubes work his magic.

Insideop
12-18-2006, 01:27 AM
I think taking any high priced QB (draft or free agent) is too risky at this time!

The best thing to do right now is to slowly dig out of this by concentrating on the lines and defensive secondary.
If the team improves dramatically next year and it looks like the last piece is a QB, go for it then!

Too many holes to fill to definitely bring in a rookie unless they can put a team on his back. Quinn doesn't seem like a guy that you put an NFL team on his back.

This is the smartest thing I've read on this whole thread! And if I had to guess, I think Kubes and Smith will do just that in the draft and FA. JMHO!

Fiddy
12-18-2006, 01:45 AM
Anyone but Brady Quinn, please anyone else. The man is ridiculously overrated.

Toro
12-18-2006, 03:20 AM
The Quinn arguements are going to be proven fruitless because there's zero chance Detroit and Oakland both pass up on him. Both made a mistake passing on Matt Leinart, and won't make that same error twice.

If Detroit passes on him (unlikely), Al Davis will set a new draft record picking him.

Under the circumstance that BOTH pass on him, and he's available for the Texans to select wherever they may be, you can't pass on a guy like him. He's got ice water in his veins, has all the intangibles to become a great QB, and learned under a pro-style offense, so he can come in and be a Day 1 starter. If he falls to Houston, I just can't see Kubes and Smith passing up on the chance to bring this guy in to town.

Like I said at the beginning though, this is all a moot point, because Matt Millen will lose his life if he leaves this draft without picking a QB in Round 1.

TheOgre
12-18-2006, 06:58 AM
I wouldn't be stunned if we traded into the 1st this year with our 2nd and ended up with two 1sts. Some of the positions we are lacking (QB, RB, OT, CB) require higher round considerations.

phan1
12-18-2006, 07:03 AM
I'd much rather find a 4-5 round QB. We've got too many problems to crap-shoot on a QB in the 1st round. I'd rather do whate we did in 2006: drafting a good solid football team. It doesn't seem Leak is the type of QB that fits Kubiak's style, but if Kubiak likes him, I'd love to have him here as a 4th rounder.

PhnzUp
12-18-2006, 07:08 AM
So what are the issues with handing the ballover to Sage? The man showed well in Miami when thrust into duty and as I recall the Texan players actually hang around the guy and for what it's worth seemed to actually PLAY for him during the pre-season games. Trade Carr for what you can get, continue to draft for OL, DL, Secondary, RB, QB. Let Porter and 2 TBD QB's fight it out for the number 2 spot behind Sage while the line play gets consistant. This team is in dire straights with ANY QB. Build the lines and work out from there.

Just my $.02

trutexan02
12-18-2006, 07:34 AM
Troy Smith is a good QB, but I agree with most in here that he will be crap QB here behind our really bad line, however I think the line is good enough for Peterson. Alot of people equate him to DD and being injury prone. He broke is collar bone, its not swelling in his knee or re-occurances of turf toe. Come on now. Let's not forget how it happened. He was making an all out effort to score (which he did) he put his team ahead of himself (IMO). Adrain in the first, OT in the second, and a QB in the third. David is not the incumbant next year. He and Sage fight it out in preseason. Third rounder studies the system and takes over in two years. What ever the texans do, DO NOT make the same dumb mistake the Broncos made and fall to the pressure of public sentiment and bench your 7-4 starter to put in your future QB for pete's sake!

Hervoyel
12-18-2006, 08:19 AM
Drafting Brady Quinn would be the stupidest thing the Texans could possible do at this point. It would literally be a confirmation that this franchise is going nowhere and, while under current management never will go anywhere. It would be like shouting to the world that they've learned nothing from the past 5 years.

JDizzle
12-18-2006, 08:26 AM
Drafting the pretty boy with nice stats is what got us Carr. No thanks.

yourfavoritetexan42
12-18-2006, 08:36 AM
yeah we should get troy smith or quinn! so they can get sacked 60+ times and we ruin two quarterbacks careers.

Huge
12-18-2006, 08:37 AM
Quinn is such a great leader, he led Notre Dame to exactly zero wins over teams that finished the season ranked in the top 25 the past two seasons.

Impressive indeed.

yourfavoritetexan42
12-18-2006, 08:42 AM
Let's get more nice O-Line prospects in the second or third or fourth like we did last year and build some depth and take Troy Smith in the first round, whether it's with a traded down pick or the regular pick after his draft stock rises.

that makes sense... I would like to see us get a franchise left tackle though and then in the later rounds build with interior depth... I think we have the mold of a good offensive line we just need to build depth, so when we don't stay healthy, we aren't completely screwed (like this season).

jerek
12-18-2006, 09:51 AM
Drafting Brady Quinn would be the stupidest thing the Texans could possible do at this point. It would literally be a confirmation that this franchise is going nowhere and, while under current management never will go anywhere. It would be like shouting to the world that they've learned nothing from the past 5 years.

I agree about Quinn in particular. I just don't see us pursuing a QB this offseason, at least not at this moment in time. Like it or not, I think Carr is going to get one more year, with Sage ready to back him up if he sucks. There just isn't an economically viable, must-have FA or draft prospect. This might change through the course of the last three games or with a surprise FA or draft eligibility announcement, but my guess is that we'll look to shore up our many other weaknesses. As much as Carr has hurt us at times throughout the season, there are many other positions in which the play has been very and even more consistently detrimental to our team, however Carr is and remains the poster boy for all our failures.

At the very least IMO he is comparable to a Rex Grossman: look at the Bears and how they dominate with an all-round game, with Grossman playing reasonably well at times, mediocre others and badly other times. I would expect that at this point, Kubiak would rather use the draft to address our other worse deficiencies, and see if he can elevate Carr's play this one last season.

Oilersfan
12-18-2006, 10:36 AM

Very good point.I agree lots of holes, I just have a good feeling about Quinn.
No matter what we do It's going to take a while to untangle this mess.

Oilersfan
12-18-2006, 10:44 AM
From what I've heard, Quinn will be like Carr...no longfield throws, conservative, pretty, etc.

I'm all for Russell, obviously, but I want a QB with more mobility than Carr more than anything.

Carr is one of the more mobile QBs in the league.He just doesn't have a clue when to use it. As for Quinn being like Carr,he has something that Carr doesn't. It's called HEART.

Bongo59
12-18-2006, 10:59 AM
We can all sit here and complain about all the mistakes that the Texans have made in the past till were blue in the face, I myself have posted plenty.Fact is, Vince Young or Reggie Bush aren't Texans, nor will they ever be. So where do we go from here.We start by getting a great on the field leader.Like it or not the quaterback is supposed to be the heart and soul of the team. I dont think there is one guy on the Patriots that wouldn't go to the mat for Tom Brady. just look back through the years and see that every great team had a great leader at the QB position.No the 2001 Ravens were not a great team. Great talent does not mean a great leader, the leadership comes from within,it can't be taught, you either have it or you don't. It baffels me that McNair can't figure this out. He above anyone should no this. He didn't become a billionaire by not being a great leader. Mr McNair needs to review the tapes of the Notre Dame vs Michigan St and the Notre Dame vs UCLA games and I think he find the type of leader this team needs.Just like Vince Young when the chips are down this guy spits in the face of defeat, David Carr Smiles.
I know that were looking at no better than the #3 pick, and looking at the two
pathetic teams in front of us, the Lions and Raiders they also need a QB. The positive thing for us is that these two teams have clowns running the circus.We shouldn't have a problem hoodwinking the top slot form one of these two teams.Remember everyone, this is only McNair's 5th year in the league, unlike Carr I think he will turn things around.

NOTE: I am not a Notre Dame Sympathizer, In fact I can't stand them.
But I can't stand losing more.

Quinn is not event he best choice next yr at QB...........personally I think J Russell and Troy Smith will be better pro QB. Quinn is very innaccurate and he never wins the big game.

Bongo59
12-18-2006, 11:01 AM
Russell has been told by many scouts that he may go top 5................he is a great pro prospect and likely will be better in the pro's than he was in college.

Oilersfan
12-18-2006, 11:04 AM
Umm Carr costs a lot of money does that mean he's the real deal? Just because a QB is projected #1 doesn't mean he's going to work out. Quinn is not the answer, and going with him would set the Texans back another 6-years. He IS the next Carr. He's not a leader. if you don't believe me, look at all the other posts in this thread that are saying the same thing.

Your right, being projected #1 doesn't mean its going to work out. I tend to listen to the experts when it comes to first round picks and not people posting threads,most great QBs are drafted in the early first round. Excluding Tom Brady.I personally don't want to sit around a wait for another Tom Brady.
I would have a better chance of winning the lottery before that happens.We must get while the gettin is good. Quinn is the man for the job.

Oilersfan
12-18-2006, 11:06 AM
HMMM Brady Quinn has been mentored by hmmm Charlie Weiss. I would have to say he is the most NFL ready QB in college. He grades out higher than any of the three QB' comming out last year. He is the smart choice. Played in a NFL system in college. He would be the Texans best choice. Russle from LSU is a third round pick, very inconsistant!

Thankyou

Oilersfan
12-18-2006, 11:08 AM
NOT TO MENTION.......why bring in any high rated qb (ala DC) with NO offensive line in place yet. We'd be repeating the same craziness all over again.

Did you want Vince last year.

Oilersfan
12-18-2006, 11:15 AM
[QUOTE=Oilersfan;542261]

You want David Carr's older brother , Jake Plummer. Do you want to go sideways or forward.

Texan_Bill
12-18-2006, 11:17 AM
[QUOTE=TreWardTxn;542498]

You want David Carr's older brother , Jake Plummer. Do you want to go sideways or forward.

".......Carr's older brother, Jake Plummer".... Hillarious!!

Sco-tai
12-18-2006, 11:21 AM
Jamarcus Russell is NOT a 3rd round pick. He's projected to go in the 1st right now. You don't skip your senior year to get drafted in the 3rd. As a junior, can you send in your paperwork to get evaluated as to what round you are projected to be drafted. If the player feels an extra season in college could greatly elevate their draft value, they can return to college. As long as they don't hire an agent, they're okay.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if RUSSELL was drafted before Troy Smith...but after Brady Quinn.

:dance3:

El Amigo Invisible
12-18-2006, 01:27 PM
Can we draft Brady Quinn and trade him for Vince Young?:stirpot:

real
12-18-2006, 01:31 PM
If the Texans draft a quaterback in the first rd. this year everyone in the whole orginization needs to have I'm with stupid shirts made....

Meloy
12-18-2006, 01:39 PM
from what ive read.. he would be a mid first to early second.. but his physical abilities could, and probably would, put him in the top 10... once it was all said and done with workouts and the combine and such.
john mclain said this morning (Monday) scouts rate him rough and needs work. mid to late first round as there are teams that need QBs. I'm not sure one year learning is enough. I do not want high rounds to go to QB. We need to address other issues or buy a burial policy for QB. I doubt anyone else would hold up as long as Carr did. DC reminds me of Pastorini who in first few years, everyone hated his guts.

ROKN ZJ
12-18-2006, 01:45 PM
Heart? Ice Water in his veins? Have y'all even watched a Notre Dame game this year, or do you just watch the highlights ESPN wants to show you? Brady Quinn isn't a WINNER, and he's not good under pressure. His WR's have made a LOT of tough catches for him and made a lot of YAC which beef up his stats. Hell if you want to see how good he is under pressure, check out the USC game this year when the game was on the line, and he was shown saying "F* Me" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0ZIChhJ87o) while warming up between drives. Yep sounds like a true competitor there.

I mean point me to his big wins? MSU? Yea he had a lot to do with the three turnovers by Stanton and the INT for TD.

How about UCLA. On the last drive he had a couple good throws, but on the TD it was all Smarjda.

And besides even if you are using those as you're examples how about the fact that MSU ended the season 4-8, and UCLA ended 7-5. Not exactly top competition.

Quinn isn't a winner, he'll be the next Carr, or Manning. Good on paper, but not when the game is on the line.

Troy Smith, beat two #2 teams in the same year (Michigan and at Texas), beat ND in last year's Fiesta Bowl, and led his team to the National Championship game this year. I'm not saying Smith is the guy either, but at least he knows how to win games. IMO The biggest problem with the entire Texans franchise is that they don't know how to WIN. And adding Quinn isn't going to change that.

Oilersfan
12-18-2006, 02:00 PM
Russell has been told by many scouts that he may go top 5................he is a great pro prospect and likely will be better in the pro's than he was in college.

You must be reading the Charlie Casserly scouting report.

hobie
12-18-2006, 02:16 PM
Well I guess rolling up on the Academy's and the beating up on Stanford (1-11) and UNC (3-9) and Mich. State (4-8), thats 6 wins against awful teams, Quinn better have sweet numbers with those defenses lining up against them.

Quinn may be good, but it's the press that made him better than he really is, plus does ND even belong in a BSC game? I think not !!

Ryan
12-18-2006, 02:29 PM
with david carr, we won't be anymore than an expansion team...i dont care who we replace him with..but he just needs to be replaced

Insideop
12-18-2006, 03:56 PM
Carr is one of the more mobile QBs in the league.He just doesn't have a clue when to use it. As for Quinn being like Carr,he has something that Carr doesn't. It's called HEART.

Carr had heart when he first got here. Just think back to his rookie year when the Texans beat the cowgirls, uuh, sorry ladies, cowplops. He lost it over the years by having it beat out of him and bad coaching. I know the coach has changed, but I think until we get the O-line fixed and stablized, it's useless to get another QB (like Carr) and have the heart beat out of him too! JMHO!

Hervoyel
12-18-2006, 04:36 PM
Carr had heart when he first got here. Just think back to his rookie year when the Texans beat the cowgirls, uuh, sorry ladies, cowplops. He lost it over the years by having it beat out of him and bad coaching. I know the coach has changed, but I think until we get the O-line fixed and stablized, it's useless to get another QB (like Carr) and have the heart beat out of him too! JMHO!

Was that all David Carr's "heart" or did the Cowboys just suck bad enough that year under Campo that anybody could have beaten them provided they spent an inordinant amount of time preparing for them and enjoyed the benefit of almost no existing film to study? Could the 70,000 screaming fans at Reliant Stadium have had something to do with the outcome of that game? Do you think maybe the play of their pathetic QB might have factored into that win?

I loved it when it happened too but I hate that win now. I hate how Texans fans hang on it like it's the biggest win in the history of football when it was a lousy expansion team beating a lousy, overconfident, and poorly coached shadow of a franchise that was great and has become good again before the Texans have even whiffed a winning season.

There's a common assumption that the Texans did something amazing that night and that our rookie QB was amazing that night. I think that it had more to do with the quality of the opponent than anything else.

There's a common assumption that David Carr was fine when he got here and is broken today because of the events of the past 5 years. It's widely believed that David had what it took but it was "beaten out of him" but do we really even know that? Isn't it possible that the sacks and poor line play have obscured the fact that it was never there to begin with?

infantrycak
12-18-2006, 04:40 PM
There's a common assumption that David Carr was fine when he got here and is broken today because of the events of the past 5 years.

You're right that the assumption or opinion may be wrong. On the other hand, one of the great or lamentable ironies comes from that game as well. One of the on-line post game recaps had an image of Carr yelling after the victory. The caption said something like--If the Texans can provide Carr with protection he will take them places. The "if" never happened so the Texans now have neither an "if" nor and "IT."

Hervoyel
12-18-2006, 04:44 PM
We'll never know the answer to that now. It's something to be debated forever.

Oilersfan
12-18-2006, 05:15 PM
Can we draft Brady Quinn and trade him for Vince Young?:stirpot:

I don't think Bud would give us the satisfaction.

CoogBull
12-18-2006, 05:27 PM
Well I am not a Quinn booster because I think we need to fix other problems with our draft picks.

A good RB is what we should go after. The problem is that this draft is not a deep as last years. A good LT is really what we need.

I am in favor of trading away Carr for what we can get, and then allowing Sage to run the offense. Sage is not great, but I sense a desire to win in him. He has been much more like a leader this season than Carr. Carr can command a few draft picks in a trade. Perhaps the Raiders will take him, they are known for taking chances on crap.

I am a Kolb supporter, but just because I am a die hard Cougar fan...hell there are not many of us. I think we should take him in the second round, let him back up Sage, and develop him. I have been watching Sage on the sidelines and it seems that he has a real feel for the offense. Let him tutor Kolb for a couple of years, and I think we will have a passing attack that will make Peyton look like a chump. If Kolb does not work out then we can send him off without the big contract of a first rounder.

This team is not one or two players away from being a good team, but we are one or two away from making a decent showing. Our defense is shaping up and one day we will all be rewarded for keeping the faith. Revenge will be sweet.

I just want to see a good run game and a good defense develop. The kind of game I enjoy is the one where there is a lot of running and some stout defensive play.

Lets face it, all the sports mojo in this city was sucked out by the Astros in their World Series run. That is the reason the Texans went downhill last season. The mojo is recovering and soon we will have it all back.

Sunday is another day, go Texans beat Indy.