PDA

View Full Version : Has Kubiak Been what we thought?

thetexanator
12-17-2006, 07:05 PM
this whole season has been bleak. the coach really cant do much BUT, im kinda starting to get some second thoughts on the hire. has anyone heard this guy, hes like really monotone and shows no fire or passion. still too early to judge the guy, but anyone getting the same feeling?

OzzO
12-17-2006, 07:08 PM
nope, from previous reports - knew he wasn't big on speaking to the media - so kinda low tone when he does. Is not the excitable type, which I'm cool with if they're heading in the right direction. Also, he had the best draft (it seems) to date than we've had in the previous 4 drafts before.

He's what I thought he is.

ThaShark316
12-17-2006, 07:11 PM
this whole season has been bleak. the coach really cant do much BUT, im kinda starting to get some second thoughts on the hire. has anyone heard this guy, hes like really monotone and shows no fire or passion. still too early to judge the guy, but anyone getting the same feeling?

Don't be second guessing just because we've had poor QB play...you can only teach so much, but at the end of the day, that particular player has to execute...period.

Marcus
12-17-2006, 07:44 PM
If there is only one person on the Texans that I'm NOT disappointed in right now . . . it's Kubiak.

Kubiak is doing the best he can with a very bad football team right now. I'm convinced he can improve this team over time, as long as McNair stays out of the way. McNair is the one I'm disappointed in right now.

Kubiak needs to dump Carr. I think he knows that he needs to. The question is . . . will McNair let him. I'm pessimistic about that.

Dime
12-17-2006, 07:51 PM

Even with all the problems on the team, we are a bit better in many aspects of the game. But we have a very long way to go.

nunusguy
12-17-2006, 07:52 PM
Don't be second guessing just because we've had poor QB play...you can only teach so much, but at the end of the day, that particular player has to execute...period.
And your overlooking the obvious and at the same time giving Kubiak a free
pass - Kubiak had the best opportunity to change the QB situation and instead elected to stay with the status quo.

austintexanite
12-17-2006, 07:53 PM
I'm not second guessing Kubiak, give him time man...it's still his first season.

gtexan02
12-17-2006, 07:54 PM
I'm disapointed with his QB coaching ability. If this is even possible, I've actually seen Carr REGRESS over the past 8 weeks or so.

I mean, he's made 3 key decisions so far:
1. Draft Mario over VY, Reggie, D'Brick, or trade down
2. Keep Carr as the franchise QB
3. Think Carr has the potential to lead this team anywhere

He's also made some good personel decisions, and made some good playcalls, but any coach should do that stuff. With the biggest decisions, he's come up a little empty.

I still think he has what it takes, but I've been disapointed so far.

Heywood
12-17-2006, 07:57 PM
regrettably, he's been what i came to think.

i was excited when they hired him, but then he seemed to play the "white christian republican" card aty every turn, and the texans have proiceeded to play as WCR bilge under him.

i'm very disappointed in this, but mcenron is certaonly pleased, WCR bilge as he is..

nunusguy
12-17-2006, 07:59 PM
I'm not second guessing Kubiak, give him time man...it's still his first season.
I dunno about you, but I have no problem at all in second guessing Kubiak about his decision to keep Carr and pass on VY in the college Draft.

ThaShark316
12-17-2006, 08:00 PM
And your overlooking the obvious and at the same time giving Kubiak a free
pass - Kubiak had the best opportunity to change the QB situation and instead elected to stay with the status quo.

I'm not giving him a free pass, i've been critical of some of his play calls at times...but it's true what I said...now step to me like that again and catch a beat down, young man....

(last sentence was a joke...lol)

Heath Shuler
12-17-2006, 08:01 PM
I still support Kubiak. But, the only major differences I can see versus the previous regime: way less three tight end sets and way less screen passes.

TexasJedi
12-17-2006, 08:02 PM

i was excited when they hired him, but then he seemed to play the "white christian republican" card aty every turn, and the texans have proiceeded to play as WCR bilge under him.

i'm very disappointed in this, but mcenron is certaonly pleased, WCR bilge as he is..
What does that have to with football, Heywood? You cannot turn off your political spigot for one second?

Wolf
12-17-2006, 08:04 PM
I'm disapointed with his QB coaching ability. If this is even possible, I've actually seen Carr REGRESS over the past 8 weeks or so.

I mean, he's made 3 key decisions so far:
1. Draft Mario over D'Brick

cut out alot of original post but ..makes me wonder..we draft D'brick would have Dayne taken him out like Spencer got?

not picking on Dayne,but would have been wild if a freak accident could have happened

Heywood
12-17-2006, 08:04 PM
What does that have to with football, Heywood? You cannot turn off your political spigot for one second?

vince young isn't white and david carr is?

Wolf
12-17-2006, 08:05 PM
on a serious note. I am willing to give Kubiak the benefit of a doubt, it takes time to get "HIS" players in here, afterall we shook up the whole team and on a whole new concept

Wolf
12-17-2006, 08:06 PM
reaching.

threetoedpete
Even with all the problems on the team, we are a bit better in many aspects of the game. But we have a very long way to go.

I believe this also. Always darkest befor the dawn and all of that. We gave Capers & company three years...why now would you short change the young guy ? The guy's been waiting 25 years for his shot. He's not going to do anything to blow it. And Rick Simth's moves this season considering who was out there has been nothing short of outstanding. So the season went in the crapper ? So what ? Did you honestly feel in July with the team switching both phylosiphies on offense and defense we were going to get anything different ? Some tried to warn everyone. If they did make a push this year it would truly be astonding. So he missed on how damaged DC was ? Is that his fault. Outside looking in, should he have told them no, I can't save this guy..let's start over ? Just about all of the groceries in the pantry are not his. Dosen't he get the same chance to bring in his guys as Cappers and CC got ? The suicide guys on the kicking teams have been outstanding for five weeks. So they blow one today . So what ? Best kicking teams this team has ever had. We're getting some depth. Just going to take some more time. At least one more draft and two seasons of digesting the bad cap moves of the previous regieme. I've been waiting for forty -three years. I can wait a few more.

TexasJedi
So you think it was race that caused the Texans to pass on Young? I disagree with that, but you are entitled to your opinion.

What if they end up taking a Troy Smith or Jamarcus Russell this year, would you feel differently?

threetoedpete
12-17-2006, 08:13 PM
reaching.

You know I really hate this. I mean I pulled for Warren Moon, Elven Bethea, Robert Brazsille, Kenny Houson.... Earl Campbel. ..all those guys were not of the cacasion presausion. Race card is really lame. I don't like the guys delievery. I don't like the fact that the guy hasn't improved his thorwing mothion. I don't hink he's stupid. I do feel he just might be the greatest college QB of all time. So....is ok if I think the guy is a hard head and uncoachalbe without being called David Duke. I mean com'on !!! I like the guy I really do. Just danged glad we didn't draft him. ...
Still !!!!

phan1
12-17-2006, 08:16 PM
Kubiak obviously threw Carr to the wolves today on purpose IMO. At some point in the game, he gave up all hopes of winning and just wanted to call plays to see what David Carr was made of. Our running game was pretty decent, and there are times when we really should have run the ball. You haven't been able to pass the ball all day, but you go to the passing game on 2nd and a short 5 yrds? Kubiak wanted to see something out of Carr today, and he didn't get it. We didn't play to win; this game was an evaluation of David Carr.

As far as what Kubiak has done so far for this team, there are some good things and bad things. Good: Personnel decisions. I really like this front office and I have a lot more faith that they're going to come in and bring some more talent on this team. Bad: Coaching. It's just been dissappointing. This system doesn't look any different than what Palmer has been doing. It actually looks cause we used to have a better running game at least!

Now I do believe Kubiak is the right guy for the job and he can get this turned around. But from a coaching/gameplanning stantdpoint, we've only won 4 games. Dissappointing. I was hoping to win around 6 games this year.

tsip
12-17-2006, 08:37 PM
First, where are the posters that predicted we'd not only have a winning team in Kubiak's first year, but we'd make the play-offs--surely, they are disappointed--one poster stated that Kubiak alone accounted for 5 more wins and-now- seldom posts anymore....

But no, Kubiak has not been what I thought. For me, it starts with too much of the team being just like it was under Capers. And, this is intensified, because from day one Gary told us how he was going to coach the team but--for whatever reasons--has not done so.

Kubiak was chosen because he has been considered a QB 'guru,' and it was thought he'd turn Carr into the type of QB we drafted in 2002. Like me, I'm sure a lot of posters expected 'lights out' improvement in Carr--almost overnight, if you will...but that has not happened, not even close. After todays game, David has a couple hundred more yds/less tds/more interceptions than last year....

Yes, we have 2 more wins, the same # as our first year, and all year long many posters have talked about how much better Carr's stats are. Really? Unless you totally have your head in the sand, it's obvious that Kubiak implemented an offensive scheme that would inflate David's completion % and QB rating--both of which have fallen dramatically over the past few weeks.

I expected a wide open aggressive offense that--for the first time in our history--would stretch the field. Instead, we've become known for our 'dink and dunk' pass attack.

Many things bothered the fans about Capers--first, his 'coaching not to lose' style of play and second, his 'blasť' post game comments that offered little 'insight' and always blamed 'poor play' on some form of 'execute/execution'--never did Capers blame himself. Kubiak walks into his first (and many there after) press conference and tells us 'how' he will be doing things. Words/phrases like aggression and accountability and 'best' player plays and doing 'whatever' it takes to win were passed around and certainly was what I wanted to hear...

Now, closing in on the end of his first year, there has been a huge difference between kubiak's 'talk' and his 'walk.' We still have Caper's offense, Caper's philosophy. We sit on leads/TOP is more of a priority than scoring points/game plans are non-aggressive and are the same from week to week w/little adjustments in real time. Too,like with Capers, we seldom score in the 1st and 3rd qtrs...

...enough said, for now. I'd still like to hear from a few of the many that predicted 'big' wins this year. With the Jags losing today, we may not even beat a single winning team this year....Kubiak, what I thought? No, not at all...and I didn't predict a winning season but--to be absolutely honest--if I didn't see Kubiak on the field, I'd think that Capers never left....

the wonger need food
12-17-2006, 08:46 PM

This has to be one of the most incoherent posts I've ever read on this board. Nice job Heywood.

the wonger need food
12-17-2006, 08:49 PM
The thing that I did expect from Kubiak was to see him team improve and get better each week, especially on offense. Instead it's going the opposite direction each week. There no way for me to view his first season as anything but a failure.

Texan1
12-17-2006, 08:51 PM
I'm still all for Kubiak - but I knew last April he put himself (or was placed) in a tough position by taking Mario with the 1st pick - 'The Pick'. We all want or wish to move forward and forget - but the fact is, no one (Houstonians and national media) will let this die until the Texans start winning... I give Kubiak 2 more years to start winning or 'The Pick' hype will come calling for him...

Thats too bad, because I think given enough time he will be a good coach... just don't know yet if he can survive 'The Pick'

Heywood
12-17-2006, 08:52 PM
So you think it was race that caused the Texans to pass on Young? I disagree with that, but you are entitled to your opinion.

What if they end up taking a Troy Smith or Jamarcus Russell this year, would you feel differently?

i'd feel like they'd learned their lesson.

sorry to offend, but i know enough about mcnair, and enough about texas republicans, to thinnk they are scum. you folks shat george bush onto the world.

the buchanon signing i must confess made me happy. sorry to say pburnt sucked, but it was a seminal signing in that the FOCA modeal was being upended.

i'd love to see a winner QB the texans. troy smith would make me very happy.

Dime
12-17-2006, 08:53 PM
The thing that I did expect from Kubiak was to see him team improve and get better each week, especially on offense. Instead it's going the opposite direction each week. There no way for me to view his first season as anything but a failure.

I disagree. We have been making progress and as much as i hate to say it, we improved this game as well... How you ask? This game showed Kub what Carr is made of when he was down. Carr did horrible and we needed Kub to see that. He has had his suspions... but he needed confirmation. He got it today.

Honoring Earl 34
12-17-2006, 08:54 PM
Heywood are you the same guy on the radio with the bad back?

Goldeagle
12-17-2006, 08:55 PM
Kubiak has been ok, I see improvement in this team. Granted its hard not to improve having only 2 wins last season, but other than the O-line and the typical problems Casserly left us in, I see a direction that I like.

the wonger need food
12-17-2006, 08:56 PM
i'd feel like they'd learned their lesson.

sorry to offend, but i know enough about mcnair, and enough about texas republicans, to thinnk they are scum. you folks shat george bush onto the world.

the buchanon signing i must confess made me happy. sorry to say pburnt sucked, but it was a seminal signing in that the FOCA modeal was being upended.

i'd love to see a winner QB the texans. troy smith would make me very happy.

I'm starting to understand where you're coming from Heywood... you just want a black quarterback. You're previous posts make a lot more sense now.

Wolf
12-17-2006, 08:58 PM
Kubiak has been ok, I see improvement in this team. Granted its hard not to improve having only 2 wins last season, but other than the O-line and the typical problems Casserly left us in, I see a direction that I like.

you know during the game thought crossed my mind, even thought it isn't Kubiak's style, but it was like .. let David run the show .. lets see what he has or doesn't have.

Texan1
12-17-2006, 08:59 PM
I'm still all for Kubiak - but I knew last April he put himself (or was placed) in a tough position by taking Mario with the 1st pick - 'The Pick'. We all want or wish to move forward and forget - but the fact is, no one (Houstonians and national media) will let this die until the Texans start winning... I give Kubiak 2 more years to start winning or 'The Pick' hype will come calling for him...

Thats too bad, because I think given enough time he will be a good coach... just don't know yet if he can survive 'The Pick'

Goldeagle
12-17-2006, 09:02 PM
you know during the game thought crossed my mind, even thought it isn't Kubiak's style, but it was like .. let David run the show .. lets see what he has or doesn't have.

Carr got to call plays last season and drove the team....Maybe he is a better offensive Coord than a qb? :shades:

Mr teX
12-17-2006, 09:02 PM
I support him b/c i know that he's basically working with the trash that C & C left behind. A few questionable calls here & there, but you kind of expect stuff like that from a 1st year head coach.

The positives:

* Great draft compared to C & C.

* has at least shown a propensity to get at DC sometimes.

* is trying to build this team the right way; from the D/O-lines out.

Heywood
12-17-2006, 09:09 PM
I'm starting to understand where you're coming from Heywood... you just want a black quarterback. You're previous posts make a lot more sense now.

no, i want a racer-neutral determination of talent. i'm not convinced the texans are willing to accomodate me here.

david carr is an imbecile and a loser. biut he's a second baptist kind of guy, so he's teflon to the texans.

the wonger need food
12-17-2006, 09:13 PM
no, i want a racer-neutral determination of talent. i'm not convinced the texans are willing to accomodate me here.

david carr is an imbecile and a loser. biut he's a second baptist kind of guy, so he's teflon to the texans.

Republican and Second Baptist sounds like code for "white guy". Just admit that you're a racist and want a black QB.

Seriously though, is there anyone that wouldn't take Quincy Carter over David Carr right now? Maybe we can sign him when he gets out of jail.

MrMeToo
12-17-2006, 09:14 PM
Carr got to call plays last season and drove the team....Maybe he is a better offensive Coord than a qb? :shades:

You are back and still on Carr's jock...

edo783
12-17-2006, 10:09 PM
reaching.

Not for Haywood. He has been tossed off a board or two for his racist crapolla.

Tulip
12-17-2006, 10:20 PM
I'm not sure what I thought he'd be, but what he has been is a mixed bag.

With the exception of the either completely arrogant or completely powerless-to-McNair decision to choose David over Vince, Kubiak had an excellent draft.

I don't like that he went Chainsaw Al on the team, especially cutting Robaire Smith and Moran Norris and trading Vernand Morency. There probably is such a thing as too much change.

It's disturbing how conservative the playcalling has been, but I'm starting to wonder if David forces that.

profan
12-17-2006, 10:31 PM

yea, against the friggin cardinals. Give me a break, my ten year old could have called the plays in that game.

Runner
12-17-2006, 10:36 PM
cut out alot of original post but ..makes me wonder..we draft D'brick would have Dayne taken him out like Spencer got?

No - D'Brick wouldn't have been slow off the snap and therefore pushed back into the backfield on a running play. Sad for a player with such an outstanding punch, but true on that play.

BattleRedToro
12-17-2006, 10:38 PM
Republican and Second Baptist sounds like code for "white guy". Just admit that you're a racist and want a black QB.

Seriously though, is there anyone that wouldn't take Quincy Carter over David Carr right now? Maybe we can sign him when he gets out of jail.

I wouldn't take Quincy Carter over David Carr.

BattleRedToro
12-17-2006, 10:40 PM
It's disturbing how conservative the playcalling has been, but I'm starting to wonder if David forces that.

No that would be the Offensive Line that forces that.

Ibar_Harry
12-17-2006, 11:24 PM
First, where are the posters that predicted we'd not only have a winning team in Kubiak's first year, but we'd make the play-offs--surely, they are disappointed--one poster stated that Kubiak alone accounted for 5 more wins and-now- seldom posts anymore....

But no, Kubiak has not been what I thought. For me, it starts with too much of the team being just like it was under Capers. And, this is intensified, because from day one Gary told us how he was going to coach the team but--for whatever reasons--has not done so.

Kubiak was chosen because he has been considered a QB 'guru,' and it was thought he'd turn Carr into the type of QB we drafted in 2002. Like me, I'm sure a lot of posters expected 'lights out' improvement in Carr--almost overnight, if you will...but that has not happened, not even close. After todays game, David has a couple hundred more yds/less tds/more interceptions than last year....

Yes, we have 2 more wins, the same # as our first year, and all year long many posters have talked about how much better Carr's stats are. Really? Unless you totally have your head in the sand, it's obvious that Kubiak implemented an offensive scheme that would inflate David's completion % and QB rating--both of which have fallen dramatically over the past few weeks.

I expected a wide open aggressive offense that--for the first time in our history--would stretch the field. Instead, we've become known for our 'dink and dunk' pass attack.

Many things bothered the fans about Capers--first, his 'coaching not to lose' style of play and second, his 'blasť' post game comments that offered little 'insight' and always blamed 'poor play' on some form of 'execute/execution'--never did Capers blame himself. Kubiak walks into his first (and many there after) press conference and tells us 'how' he will be doing things. Words/phrases like aggression and accountability and 'best' player plays and doing 'whatever' it takes to win were passed around and certainly was what I wanted to hear...

Now, closing in on the end of his first year, there has been a huge difference between kubiak's 'talk' and his 'walk.' We still have Caper's offense, Caper's philosophy. We sit on leads/TOP is more of a priority than scoring points/game plans are non-aggressive and are the same from week to week w/little adjustments in real time. Too,like with Capers, we seldom score in the 1st and 3rd qtrs...

...enough said, for now. I'd still like to hear from a few of the many that predicted 'big' wins this year. With the Jags losing today, we may not even beat a single winning team this year....Kubiak, what I thought? No, not at all...and I didn't predict a winning season but--to be absolutely honest--if I didn't see Kubiak on the field, I'd think that Capers never left....

I was a 13-3 predictor and long ago I said Kubiak was not what I thought he was. Like you I was thrilled to hear the words, but actions speak louder than words. To me he is humiliating the team with the game plans. I really don't care how bad you think Carr is, you don't plan your game to humiliate him or your team. You take away all value of a trade by doing what Kubiak is doing. In another thread I said what is Kubiak thinking?

If this team had shown they could run the ball or pass the ball I would say that something is wrong with Carr. However, we did not effectively run the ball until a couple of weaks ago. Where is the system that doesn't matter who gets plugged into it. The O-line has not been able to provide adequate blocking for the running game or the passing game. If Carr is so bad and you had a running game, then you would have him hand off the ball and wait until the end of the season.

Look at what they are doing with Mario. They are putting the young man through hell for what? To be put down in the midea. To blast his confidence. To show he is a macho man. Sorry, but I think we have a few coaches who are head cases.

What about the young RB. We hear news conference after news conference we need to get him some reps before the end of the season. Well, by George it is the end of the season and where are his reps. I beginning to think Kubiak is far worse that Capers. You knew Capers didn't know any better he was telling you what he honestly felt. Kubiak is an entirely different story.

If I were Bob McNair and I was being made to look as bad as he is being made to look by his head coach, he would be gone in an instant. You do not persecute your team to get even with or put others down. Again, in my mind, Kubiak is very guilty of literally destroying the will of this ball club. You plan to put your team in the best possible position to win and you take chances when you are not very good when the opportunities arise. We have not done that for the most part of this season.

My management philosophy has been to never take an employee to task either in front of other employees or my cliental. This business of Kubiak tearing up people on the side lines - and then later admitting it was his mistake - is not what one would call a good management style.

I think quite frankly he was to inmature to have taken this job. He had a dynamite problem on his hands that had to be handled very delicately. The previous administration had created a nightmare of a problem and VY coming out when he did was a real no win situation for all that were involved. I stated long ago that Carr should move on that as much as he wanted to stay it was not in his best interest to stay in Houston.

Once the decision was made I was hoping that Kubiak would be the teacher he said he was. It turned out the student failed for whatever reason. In this case I think the teacher failed his team.

Ckw
12-18-2006, 12:11 AM

Exactly. I guess having 7 out of 11 starting offensive players who are black isn't enough. I guess having a black man for every starter on defense isn't enough. I guess having a black kick returner and punt returner isn't enough. Yeah, we're racist....... Oh, and do I remember correctly that our GM is a black man? :shades:

Marcus
12-18-2006, 01:02 AM
I was a 13-3 predictor and long ago I said Kubiak was not what I thought he was. Like you I was thrilled to hear the words, but actions speak louder than words. To me he is humiliating the team with the game plans. I really don't care how bad you think Carr is, you don't plan your game to humiliate him or your team. You take away all value of a trade by doing what Kubiak is doing. In another thread I said what is Kubiak thinking?

If this team had shown they could run the ball or pass the ball I would say that something is wrong with Carr. However, we did not effectively run the ball until a couple of weaks ago. Where is the system that doesn't matter who gets plugged into it. The O-line has not been able to provide adequate blocking for the running game or the passing game. If Carr is so bad and you had a running game, then you would have him hand off the ball and wait until the end of the season.

Look at what they are doing with Mario. They are putting the young man through hell for what? To be put down in the midea. To blast his confidence. To show he is a macho man. Sorry, but I think we have a few coaches who are head cases.

What about the young RB. We hear news conference after news conference we need to get him some reps before the end of the season. Well, by George it is the end of the season and where are his reps. I beginning to think Kubiak is far worse that Capers. You knew Capers didn't know any better he was telling you what he honestly felt. Kubiak is an entirely different story.

If I were Bob McNair and I was being made to look as bad as he is being made to look by his head coach, he would be gone in an instant. You do not persecute your team to get even with or put others down. Again, in my mind, Kubiak is very guilty of literally destroying the will of this ball club. You plan to put your team in the best possible position to win and you take chances when you are not very good when the opportunities arise. We have not done that for the most part of this season.

My management philosophy has been to never take an employee to task either in front of other employees or my cliental. This business of Kubiak tearing up people on the side lines - and then later admitting it was his mistake - is not what one would call a good management style.

I think quite frankly he was to inmature to have taken this job. He had a dynamite problem on his hands that had to be handled very delicately. The previous administration had created a nightmare of a problem and VY coming out when he did was a real no win situation for all that were involved. I stated long ago that Carr should move on that as much as he wanted to stay it was not in his best interest to stay in Houston.

Once the decision was made I was hoping that Kubiak would be the teacher he said he was. It turned out the student failed for whatever reason. In this case I think the teacher failed his team.

:rolleyes: Absolute proof that unrealistic expectations produce unrealistic, and unfair criticism . . . of a coach that was handed a nightmare of an incredibly mismanaged team, talent wise, by the former front office.

Sadly, it doesn't surprise me.

DontTreadOnMe
12-18-2006, 02:02 AM
im not very impressed with the job kubes has done thus far... he needs to let go of being so conservative... and his loyalty to particular players is crazy.. for instance, chad stanley.. the worst punter in the nfl, hands down... and kubes has not even tried anybody out..

shinerbock_girl
12-18-2006, 04:47 AM

I still believe this team is starting over from the ground up, so Kubiak is going to need time to rebuild....Our biggest problem was keeping Capers around so many years...

brewhaus
12-18-2006, 05:20 AM
I still believe this team is starting over from the ground up, so Kubiak is going to need time to rebuild....Our biggest problem was keeping Capers around so many years...

Kubiak is, as you say, "starting over". He is coaching a team right now that does not even have a foundation of his own making. I can really see the frustration on his face lately. I would suppose he can't wait for the season to end so he can begin making changes.