PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else like the Texans EVEN MORE??

rockabilly
12-16-2006, 01:03 PM
You know....obviously, emotionally, last weeks loss was probably the worst in franchise history. I see ALOT of people jumping ship on our Texans.

This loss had an opposite effect on me. I think that loss made me want to stick up for my team EVEN MORE.

It's like watching your little brother get beat up. You want nothing more than to protect that little brother and you will stand by them for whatever it takes.

All I know is that today, I know for sure more than anytime, my blood is Battle Red. Anyone else find themselves caring about this team even more?

I also love the new rivalry. Now there is some real history to go on for our Texans Titans game from now on...makes the game that much more exciting.

Texan_Bill
12-16-2006, 01:06 PM
I hear you and feel the same way...

Although, I think the worst loss was to Cleveland at the end of the 2004 season. Thats when everything spiraled out of control... That chance to go 8-8 in our 3rd season and to lose, in that fashion (heads handed to us)resulted in last season going 2-14, and things drastically deteriorating from there....

tsip
12-16-2006, 01:18 PM
...if you're so 'euphoric' now, just think how you'll be when we actually win...hope you're able to handle it...good luck

...me,personally? I'm tired of posters that expect me to be satisfied losing. We are no longer an expansion team...just keeping the score close, so we can lose is not my idea of a team that I dream about...

It's not that we can't win many more games--instead, we are on our 2nd HC that finds personal satisfaction in just being 'in' the game--ala 'coaching not to lose....'

...for me, I find 'no comfort' in a coach that won't try 'things' because he doesn't believe they'll work...how can you build a persons confidence when you won't challenge them and give them the 'experience' they need....to succeed...and,look, if they can not do it--show them the door and get someone who can....

Second Honeymoon
12-16-2006, 01:23 PM
You know....obviously, emotionally, last weeks loss was probably the worst in franchise history. I see ALOT of people jumping ship on our Texans.

This loss had an opposite effect on me. I think that loss made me want to stick up for my team EVEN MORE.

It's like watching your little brother get beat up. You want nothing more than to protect that little brother and you will stand by them for whatever it takes.

All I know is that today, I know for sure more than anytime, my blood is Battle Red. Anyone else find themselves caring about this team even more?

I also love the new rivalry. Now there is some real history to go on for our Texans Titans game from now on...makes the game that much more exciting.

Translation: I am a loser.

Double Barrel
12-16-2006, 01:24 PM
There is passion involved with being a football fanatic. We are all human, so we can not escape it to some degree or another. Fans have an emotional investment in a team, so their moods and attitudes go as the team goes.

When we win, it's euphoric and happyland. Lose, and it brings out the negativity. As long as this emotional roller coaster ride doesn't kill love the for team, then we can keep renewing our hope with every new season. It's just part of being a fan.

The Dream
12-16-2006, 01:35 PM

simple, but funny...and to answer the question...No......it's almost been a week since "the run" and I'm still disgusted at the way this team has been ran.

Texan_Bill
12-16-2006, 01:37 PM
...if you're so 'euphoric' now, just think how you'll be when we actually win...hope you're able to handle it...good luck

...me,personally? I'm tired of posters that expect me to be satisfied losing. We are no longer an expansion team...just keeping the score close, so we can lose is not my idea of a team that I dream about...

It's not that we can't win many more games--instead, we are on our 2nd HC that finds personal satisfaction in just being 'in' the game--ala 'coaching not to lose....'

...for me, I find 'no comfort' in a coach that won't try 'things' because he doesn't believe they'll work...how can you build a persons confidence when you won't challenge them and give them the 'experience' they need....to succeed...and,look, if they can not do it--show them the door and get someone who can....

Don't recall reading anyone saying that the were satisified from losing and it would be ludicrous to do so... However, when it does turn around it will be that much sweeter for those of us that voice our opinions when dis-satisfied, but also support OUR team here in HOUSTOn, especially after going through 7 miserable years without team... So eat sour grapes now, if you must. I just hope there is room for you when you decide to jump on the bandwagon...

TexansFanatic
12-16-2006, 01:38 PM

Nice one. I was thinking the same thing. I remember how horrible Mark Malone was when he played for the Steelers. He used to come off the field after an interception with a smile on his face. Show me someone who is ok with losing and I'll show you a loser.

tsip
12-16-2006, 02:02 PM
Don't recall reading anyone saying that the were satisified from losing and it would be ludicrous to do so... However, when it does turn around it will be that much sweeter for those of us that voice our opinions when dis-satisfied, but also support OUR team here in HOUSTOn, especially after going through 7 miserable years without team... So eat sour grapes now, if you must. I just hope there is room for you when you decide to jump on the bandwagon...

...reading comprehension is not one of your strong points...saying what other posters did not say is...

powerfuldragon
12-16-2006, 02:07 PM

i understand what you're talking about, team pride, loyalty, etc. but no. no, i'm angry at the texans. the way we lost sucks and is inexcusable.

phan1
12-16-2006, 02:09 PM
Losing does not make me love my team more... But winning does not make me love my team more either. ;) I will ALWAYS be a Houston Texan through and through, whether we're winning or losing. Winning nor losing changes my loyalty as a Houston texans fan.

But that being said, am I completely miserable that we aren't winning games. My Sunday is mostly spent on 1) watching the Houston Texans and 2) trying to sleep off the sick feeling in my stomache every time we lose a game.

The Dream
12-16-2006, 02:11 PM
2) trying to sleep off the sick feeling in my stomache every time we lose a game.

I hope you have the Pepto Bismol ready for tomorrow's game.

powerfuldragon
12-16-2006, 02:15 PM
don't laugh at me, but i think we have a chance to squeak this one past the patriots.

okay. go ahead and laugh.

Hookem Horns
12-16-2006, 02:18 PM

Guess I am lucky since I now live in Austin, Tennessee. I won't be subjected to the next Texans debacle.

Texan_Bill
12-16-2006, 02:18 PM
...reading comprehension is not one of your strong points...saying what other posters did not say is...

:confused: Example please.... Because if I am wrong about something I will 'fess up... so exactly what are you talking about?? :confused:

The Dream
12-16-2006, 02:27 PM
Guess I am lucky since I now live in Austin, Tennessee. I won't be subjected to the next Texans debacle

count your blessings.

mexican_texan
12-16-2006, 02:32 PM
People seem to forget how unbelievably horrible we were last year. 2-14 people...

Texan_Bill
12-16-2006, 02:35 PM
People seem to forget how unbelievably horrible we were last year. 2-14 people...

Sorry there... we needed to go from 2-14 to 14-2 this year.... j/k

The Dream
12-16-2006, 02:36 PM

we're not much better this season.

mexican_texan
12-16-2006, 02:38 PM
we're not much better this season.
Of course we are. We actually beat a successful team this year.

Marcus
12-16-2006, 02:51 PM
We may have been horrible with that 2-14 record, but at least then, I had confidence that we had an owner smart enough to eventually get things right.

I don't have that confidence in our owner now.

Texan_Bill
12-16-2006, 02:53 PM
Out of curiosity, you beleived that this could happen in less than a year? Also firing a HC, GM and bringing in a virtually brand new staff?

Not being sarcastic, just curious what your real expectations for this season were.

I am just saying that:
1) We needed a new GM - DONE!
2) We needed a new coach and coaching staff - DONE!
3) We needed a new TE - DONE! one via FA and one pretty good rookie!
4) We needed to bolster the Defense - Done (Ryans and maybe Williams but the jury is still out)....
5) We needed some OL - Done! (Spencer was looking pretty good until... and the jury is still out on Winston)

The only thing not addressed was drafting the local guy which is obviously people's source of frustration (understandably) but to act as though this team has been idle and not doing anything is wrong.... I am not saying that I am happy with the current state of affairs, because I am not, but I will at least admit that changes have happened, but more importantly need to keep happening...

TexanBorn51
12-16-2006, 02:56 PM
"Live by the Sword, Die by the Sword." I'm as faithful as one can get. I lived in Houston back in 65 left in 72 and been an Oiler fan and now a Texans fan ever since. Believe me when I say it's just right around the corner this time. The Texans will open all the Eyes of Texas and the rest of the world and finally soon everyone will see what all the devoted waiting fans were all about...to not give up and win as a final result. In my heart the Texans are winners and they will display that in games to come.

tsip
12-16-2006, 03:08 PM
Out of curiosity, you beleived that this could happen in less than a year? Also firing a HC, GM and bringing in a virtually brand new staff?

Not being sarcastic, just curious what your real expectations for this season were.

I am just saying that:
4) We needed to bolster the Defense - Done (Ryans and maybe Williams but the jury is still out)....
5) We needed some OL - Done! (Spencer was looking pretty good until... and the jury is still out on Winston)

The only thing not addressed was drafting the local guy which is obviously people's source of frustration (understandably) but to act as though this team has been idle and not doing anything is wrong.... I am not saying that I am happy with the current state of affairs, because I am not, but I will at least admit that changes have happened, but more importantly need to keep happening...

"BUT this is a very bad team"

...so which is it?

The Dream
12-16-2006, 03:16 PM

I am just saying that:

1. We Need a new GM - still need one
2. We Need a new coaching staff - perhaps
3. We Need a TE - DONE
4. We Need to improve defense - still need more improvements, we don't get a good pass rush and our secondary = yuck.
5. We Need an OL - still need improvement in that area also

going by my breakdown, I'd say that we are pretty "idle"

Texan_Bill
12-16-2006, 03:21 PM
"BUT this is a very bad team"

...so which is it?

Its exactly what I said: a bad team.... a very bad team.....

Does that mean that they sat idle and did nothing....Obviously not (see my points). With that said you dont go from 2-14 one season to 14-2 the next...

C'mon T'sip you're better than that...

mexican_texan
12-16-2006, 03:25 PM
3. We Need a TE - DONE
4. We Need to improve defense - still need more improvements, we don't get a good pass rush and our secondary = yuck.

Rick Smith has done well so far.

Texan_Bill
12-16-2006, 03:29 PM
3. We Need a TE - DONE

1) based on what? This years draft was essentially done before he got here.
2) fair enough
4) Absolutely agreed.... I think Ryans is a pretty good start though and we will see about Williams. Still like Dunta. Pretty good young core of guys to start with but you are right we need another corner and both safeties F and S
5) Agreed... I wouldn't mind if the Texans made the same commitment to the o-line that the Oilers did for a period of several years, netting the likes of Steinkuhler, Munchak and Mathews...

They have addressed a lot of areas, but have a long way to go... I still don't think they were idle though... Again, the draft netted Ryans, Daniels, Spencer, Winston, Lundy, Williams... (again the jury is out on Williams and Lundy).

The Dream
12-16-2006, 03:38 PM
1) based on what? This years draft was essentially done before he got here.
2) fair enough
4) Absolutely agreed.... I think Ryans is a pretty good start though and we will see about Williams. Still like Dunta. Pretty good young core of guys to start with but you are right we need another corner and both safeties F and S
5) Agreed... I wouldn't mind if the Texans made the same commitment to the o-line that the Oilers did for a period of several years, netting the likes of Steinkuhler, Munchak and Mathews...

1. true....how could I forget about CC.

Texan_Bill
12-16-2006, 03:46 PM
1. true....how could I forget about CC.

LOL....

The Dream
12-16-2006, 03:49 PM
I seriously forgot about him for one moment...I remembered the terrible job he did, but I didn't give him his proper recognition for it....how silly of me.

Revolution
12-17-2006, 01:29 AM

Translation: I am a loser trying to make someone else look bad.

Rockabilly! Thank you for starting this thread! It is like going into a battle that you might lose. You might even lose your life, but you know in the long run you will win the war. You sacrifice for your country. Very inspiring. We non-band wagoners will be there for the Texans all the way. I don't agree with a lot of what the Texans' FO does. I will not; however, abandon my team!

Johnny Utah
12-17-2006, 10:11 AM
We may have been horrible with that 2-14 record, but at least then, I had confidence that we had an owner smart enough to eventually get things right.

I don't have that confidence in our owner now.

BINGO. Last year I also had confidence that after a terrible year, a good draft pick, and a change at coach we would be able to turn this thing around. There was a light at the end of the tunnel. Now I just feel this team is hopeless.

Mr. White
12-17-2006, 10:14 AM
Anyone else like the Texans EVEN MORE??

I like the players and coaches, but I don't like the ownership. Especially after this past week.

HomeBred_Texan
12-17-2006, 10:19 AM
Anyone else like the Texans EVEN MORE??

I like the players and coaches, but I don't like the ownership. Especially after this past week.

You are gonna have to spell it out on that one. What has McNair done that has you so down?

Mr. White
12-17-2006, 10:26 AM
You are gonna have to spell it out on that one. What has McNair done that has you so down?

Just this past week...
Sunday- No player introductions because he was afraid his QB would get booed.
Wednesday- He calls out the guy that we didn't draft in an interview.
Friday- We learn that he didn't act on the draft advice of the consultant this offseason.

Just tells me that there's a sacred cow in this organization that he'll protect at any cost.

Tulip
12-17-2006, 10:34 AM
No, paying over $100 to watch Vince Young Rose-Bowl our team in our stadium did not make me like the Texans even more.

HomeBred_Texan
12-17-2006, 10:50 AM
Just this past week...
Sunday- No player introductions because he was afraid his QB would get booed.
Wednesday- He calls out the guy that we didn't draft in an interview.
Friday- We learn that he didn't act on the draft advice of the consultant this offseason.

Just tells me that there's a sacred cow in this organization that he'll protect at any cost.

Well for 1 thing, how do we know for sure who's decision it was exactly to say no player introductions? It could have been Kubs decision or Smith's or all of them or it could have been the whole teams decision to try something different for a change.

I could care less if he called out a guy we didn't draft in an interview. So what? Makes me no never mind. Vince hasn't made it to the super bowl yet, let alone the playoffs.

Draft advice was just that, ADVICE. Allot of people all over the world take advice with a grain of salt. We all know the same thing about Vince Young pre-draft. He didn't work well under the QB, threw the ball from the hip, etc.

And who is this scared cow that he will protect at any costs? I don't get it.

Winning cures allot of problems, and all we can hope for at this point is another fine draft like last years and maybe some of us fans can cut back on the valiums and look for at least a .500 season. Maybe we should start a thread right now on next year's win loss record and see how the fans feel before the off season moves and the 07 draft...