PDA

View Full Version : I have to hear it, Why do people keep saying..

HomeBred_Texan
12-15-2006, 09:34 AM
We wont draft a running back in the 1st round, it's not Kubs style...

When has Kubs ever been in position to say who is drafted and who is not? I want to know...

I get sick and tired of hearing this over and over. This is Kubs FIRST team as head coach. He now has say over the drafts. He did NOT have say at Denver, that was Shannahan calling the shots...

So how do you get this information on who he will or will not draft? Come, let's hear it... :stirpot:

kastofsna
12-15-2006, 09:44 AM
well, there is a track record of not drafting RB's in the first round. however, it's not necessarily a philosophy that's set in stone or anything. unlike al davis, who came out and said he will never draft a QB in the first round again (and still hasn't, despite several chances to get really good ones in recent years), you can only go by the track record here with kubiak. of course, they didn't have too many great chances to draft great runningbacks in denver because they constantly picked in the second part of the first round. however, they DID take clinton portis in the 2nd round, didn't they?

JDizzle
12-15-2006, 09:53 AM
After Houston took Jabbar Gaffney....:confused:

lmao ... so sad. The same GM who didnt have Shawne Merriman on his draft chart.

Does anyone else start laughing when James Brown tells Charley to put his "GM Hat on" on the CBS pregame? Every time I hear him say that I think of the Doc in Back to the Future with that large metal hat on in his garage.

kastofsna
12-15-2006, 10:01 AM
those florida receivers are just too good to pass up! miami runningbacks? pfft.

infantrycak
12-15-2006, 10:07 AM
they DID take clinton portis in the 2nd round, didn't they?

Yes they did--one pick after the Texans took Chester Pitts (why everyone complains about the Gaffney pick instead is a mystery). The Broncos also took Tatum Bell with the 9th pick of the 2nd round.

Folks that say Kubiak won't take a RB in the 1st as a blanket assertion are being silly. While Denver may not have done that in a long time, in Kubiak's very 1st draft he tried to trade back up into the 1st (offered 2nd and 4th--Ryans and Daniels effectively) to get DeAngelo Williams but got out bid by Buffalo (offered 2nd and 3rd). Now when you get to the top 5 of the draft you get some serious cap implications of paying more than the best 5 RB's in the league make so there are good reasons for not doing that but Kubiak obviously does not have a philosophical opposition to drafting RB's in the 1st since he tried to do it last year.

LORK 88
12-15-2006, 12:52 PM
Its allways a possibility, we almost did last year to get Williams like infantry said. Alot of it will come down to how Kubiak feels about who we have at RB now and how drastically we need to change and makeover the position. My gut feeling says Lundy stays, maybe Dayne, maybe Gado. However, with this year's FA group, for some reason I feel we'll pick someone up there rather than go after Peterson R1 (although I wouldnt mind Peterson at all). It would cost less, and we can find a good RB who can fit the system and produce (Ladell Betts, Ahman Green, Dominic Rhodes, Michael Turner*).

thunderkyss
12-15-2006, 01:09 PM
Folks that say Kubiak won't take a RB in the 1st as a blanket assertion are being silly. While Denver may not have done that in a long time, in Kubiak's very 1st draft he tried to trade back up into the 1st (offered 2nd and 4th--Ryans and Daniels effectively) to get DeAngelo Williams but got out bid by Buffalo (offered 2nd and 3rd). Now when you get to the top 5 of the draft you get some serious cap implications of paying more than the best 5 RB's in the league make so there are good reasons for not doing that but Kubiak obviously does not have a philosophical opposition to drafting RB's in the 1st since he tried to do it last year.

I did believe Kubiak wouldn't be interested in a first round Running back, because of Denver's history. but because of the attempt to get D'Angelo.... I had to rethink my position.

tulexan
12-15-2006, 01:27 PM
Its allways a possibility, we almost did last year to get Williams like infantry said. Alot of it will come down to how Kubiak feels about who we have at RB now and how drastically we need to change and makeover the position. My gut feeling says Lundy stays, maybe Dayne, maybe Gado. However, with this year's FA group, for some reason I feel we'll pick someone up there rather than go after Peterson R1 (although I wouldnt mind Peterson at all). It would cost less, and we can find a good RB who can fit the system and produce (Ladell Betts, Ahman Green, Dominic Rhodes, Michael Turner*).

I don't think Michael Turner is going to be much cheaper than Adrian Peterson. He is going to be a top free agent this year and will go for top dollar.

threetoedpete
12-15-2006, 01:35 PM
Well if they take All Day... the only problem I got with the guy is his injury histroy. That and the fact there are several prospects in the pipline right now who are going to be much more productive than him, and yes it a guess by me Koasftra. I've only seen Wells of tOSU seven plays and I'm much more excited over him than all day. Everybody has him slotted there, they take the guy I want squawk. What I will do is reserve my ITYS rights. They go into the sixeth year not fixing one of the two lines...It'll be the same thing as this year. And I've been posting that for four years. And I've been correct too.

Texian
12-15-2006, 10:36 PM
I think the hold card here is Dominick Davis. If he is finished then there is a higher probabilty. I still say the defensive secondary is a weaker link than running back and that the top safety or CB will be the #1 pick.

LORK 88
12-15-2006, 10:39 PM
I don't think Michael Turner is going to be much cheaper than Adrian Peterson. He is going to be a top free agent this year and will go for top dollar.
Hence the astrick mark I put with his name. He's a free agent, BUT he's a RFA, will const a draft pick, and won't come cheap.

beerlover
12-16-2006, 12:10 AM
Hence the astrick mark I put with his name. He's a free agent, BUT he's a RFA, will const a draft pick, and won't come cheap.

San Diego has done a masterful ressurection job maximizing player transactions, making astute decisions & reaping gain off unsuspecting organizations. we all would like the Texans to have Michael Turner but I would not approach them about a deal with a ten foot pole

:aikido:

Ole Miss Texan
12-16-2006, 12:57 AM
I hear that Kubiak aka Denver doesn't select running backs or o-line in the 1st round. My opinion which may only be half the equation or completely wrong is that ...

1)denver has an established good o-line thus not needing a 1st round pick. plus with the zbs they can find a player that really fits their mold in later rounds that other teams are not interested in.

2)it doesn't seem like they need that incredible running back thus not spending their #1 pick and #1 money on a rb. look at lundy for instance. 6th round pick, is doing better than most expected and that's with our o-line. again they need rb's that fit their scheme which they may be able to find in later rounds versus reggie bush..who does not fit the scheme.

Now with that said, we are not denver. we're houston..we're starting completely over after 4 years of "building". we are a tremendous amount of needs for us. so i see all but 3 positions open for next year's #1. (te,wr,qb) that leaves about 7 (depending how you look at it) that we could get. (o-line,rb,de,dt,lb,cb,s)

my opinion as well as many others.

beerlover
12-16-2006, 01:33 AM
not sure if any of us will ever truely understand how the draft process works but one would think they keep their options fluid and really focus on three or four each round who they think will help this team the most. I like Thomas, Branch, Peterson & Landry in the 1st as best options. the second would target who or what is needed the most that they did not fill in the 1st.

lets just say for a moment that Peterson is gone or the Texans address their lack of interior line strength & select Alan Branch, Michigan. The Texans still need to address RB so how about Michael Bush, Loisville with the 2nd rd. pick? Texans address two needs (defensive line support for Mario & a powerful weapon for Carr). Bush has excellent foot agility, footwork and balance, demonstrates loose hips to change direction and come out of his breaks with an explosive up field burst perfect for the zone blocking scheme. He seemed like a very intense competitor who will do whatever the coaches ask if it will help the team, very rare to see him run out of bounds with the ball, as he feels he can be more productive sinking his pads and driving with his legs to drag the opponent for extra yardage rather than taking the easy way out :bowser: Earl Campbell anyone? (not saying of course that he is or will ever be but he has the potential to be special, like this years @ 2nd rd. selection DeMeco Ryans) just a thought could be flying under the radar since hes been out :snobord:

Ryan
12-16-2006, 11:07 AM
i think michael bush goes in the first round but if we can get him in the 2nd round that would be great

dirty steve
12-16-2006, 12:27 PM

you'll get it right someday. for the 5000th time--gaffney was the first pick of the second round. chester pitts went 50th overall, then portis the pick after that at 51.

Round 2
Sel# Team Player Pos. School
33 Houston Jabar Gaffney WR Florida
34 Carolina DeShaun Foster RB UCLA
35 Detroit Kalimba Edwards DE South Carolina
36 Buffalo Josh Reed WR Louisiana State
37 Dallas Andre Gurode C Colorado
38 Minnesota Raonall Smith OLB Washington State
39 San Diego Toniu Fonoti G Nebraska
40 Jacksonville Mike Pearson T Florida
41 Cincinnati Lamont Thompson FS Washington State
42 Indianapolis Larry Tripplett DT Washington
43 Kansas City Eddie Freeman DE Ala.-Birmingham
44 New Orleans LeCharles Bentley C Ohio State
45 Tennessee Tank Williams SS Stanford
46 N.Y. Giants Tim Carter WR Auburn
47 Cleveland Andre' Davis WR Virginia Tech
48 San Diego Reche Caldwell WR Florida
49 Arizona Levar Fisher OLB North Carolina State
50 Houston Chester Pitts G San Diego State
51 Denver Clinton Portis RB Miami

threetoedpete
12-17-2006, 10:46 AM
i think michael bush goes in the first round but if we can get him in the 2nd round that would be great

There's the duck with mango salza arguement...so which Mocks have you seen so far that have put Micheal Bush in the first ? Inquiring minds want to know. Broke leg is a broke leg. We'll see what he does at the combine. Also..haven't there been speculation that he's going for a medical RS ? I like the guy also, but I don't think he's a first round lock. If we pass the RB in the first there's a good probablity that he falls. If we miss there will be other RBs on the board.

HomeBred_Texan
12-17-2006, 11:31 AM
Now with that said, we are not denver. we're houston..we're starting completely over after 4 years of "building". we are a tremendous amount of needs for us. so i see all but 3 positions open for next year's #1. (te,wr,qb) that leaves about 7 (depending how you look at it) that we could get. (o-line,rb,de,dt,lb,cb,s)

my opinion as well as many others.

I would change dt and de back to the positions not needed. We cannot go 3 years of drafting dl in a row and still call our d swiss cheese. Time to fix the offense, plain and simple. We need a RB with 1st pick. If 1 is not available that is worthy, then we fix the OL with that pick, if 1 is not worthy there, then the best S or CB would do.

I thought Kubes and co., did a great job last year in the draft. I am also sort of glad the trade did not go through to move up and get DeAngelo Williams. If it would have, we would not have Ryans...

But I just can't get over the fact that everytime I mention a RB with the 1st pick, everyone chimes in and says, Kubes does not draft rb in 1st round when it is a fact he has never ever been in charge of a draft. That was my point...

brewhaus
12-17-2006, 07:07 PM
When has Kubs ever been in position to say who is drafted and who is not? I want to know...

I get sick and tired of hearing this over and over. This is Kubs FIRST team as head coach. He now has say over the drafts. He did NOT have say at Denver, that was Shannahan calling the shots...

So how do you get this information on who he will or will not draft? Come, let's hear it... :stirpot:

Have you noticed the sub-par play of the offensive line? You gotta have blockers for your running back.