PDA

View Full Version : NFL Live just said

Dime
12-14-2006, 06:49 PM
Top Defensive Rookie: Ryans... This guys leads everyone in tackles unofficially, and his is by the ball so much, he makes it look like there 3 number 59's on the field.

Biggest Disappointment: Mario, Mostly not his fault do to the stunts he plays, but sadly, he will always be compared to Bush, and he has to do better.

Not me saying, just me repeating.. dont kill the messenger.

Second Honeymoon
12-14-2006, 06:58 PM
I wouldn't call Mario the biggest disappointment. Vernon Davis, AJ Hawk, and Jay Cutler have been no better than Mario.

However, if you were to say which actual draft decision has been the most disappointing then its Mario in a LANDSLIDE.

In summation,
Mario Williams himself - Shows potential and promise.
The decision to draft Mario #1 overall - Extremely disappointing and damaging.

dftw

dantem
12-14-2006, 07:05 PM
If you thought the draft this year was to help us go to the superbowl in 2006-07, then you are mistaken. Mario, was a good team building decision, the future will show it to be true.

If you are going to rebuild a team, start with the most important players, The O-Line, and the D-Line, Great QB's and RB's are available every year. and without good Lines, your team would suck, even if you got a great QB and RB.

the wonger need food
12-14-2006, 07:05 PM
I wouldn't call Mario the biggest disappointment. Vernon Davis, AJ Hawk, and Jay Cutler have been no better than Mario.

However, if you were to say which actual draft decision has been the most disappointing then its Mario in a LANDSLIDE.

In summation,

dftw

It's unfair to judge anyone yet. Mario could be a more dominant player than VY or Bush in a few years... we just don't know yet.

BTW.. AJ Hawk's numbers are very similar to DeMeco's. Davis was hurt most of the year and Cutler hasn't played. Again, it's way to early to judge anyone from this draft class.

BigSaint8050
12-14-2006, 07:07 PM

In summation,

dftw

Check out the numbers.... Hawk has been very good. Also Cutler just started playing and looked pretty good in his 2nd game.

infantrycak
12-14-2006, 07:09 PM
BTW.. AJ Hawk's numbers are very similar to DeMeco's. ... Again, it's way to early to judge anyone from this draft class.

If you call 20% less tackles and 30% less solos very similar then yes--for a guy making 10 times as much money. It is too early to judge yet.

beerlover
12-14-2006, 07:16 PM
Mario will be more effective when the Texans address the interior of the line with a similar stud who can cut down the double teams, then lanes to the QB should open up alot more not only for Mario but the other lineman as well for DeMeco & the rest of the LB's & CB's :shades:

nunusguy
12-14-2006, 07:33 PM
Biggest Disappointment: Mario, Mostly not his fault do to the stunts he plays, but sadly, he will always be compared to Bush, and he has to do better.

I'm disappointed in Mario and don't think he's got the potetial that the Texans
brass thought he did.
But I didn't think VY would have this kind of rookie year, not by a long shot.
So maybe I'll be wrong about Marios potential over the longer-term. I hope so.
BTW, anybody know whats happening with the situation Bushs family got themselves into with the free rent from the agent ?
ESPN or somebody sure got that ugly little story hushed up.

TexansFanatic
12-14-2006, 07:42 PM
I think calling Mario the biggest disappointment is fair. He was THE FIRST OVERALL PICK in a draft with some rather big talent and he has 4.5 sacks.....

Vinny
12-14-2006, 07:43 PM
as the top pick in a draft considered the strongest in many years....yeah, I'd call him a dissapointment right now. Who knows how it will pan out 5 years from now like Carr however....he could mature just as well.

ThaShark316
12-14-2006, 07:47 PM
Vinny, you've been letting me down lately...I gotta look to Grid for the smartest analyst now...:shades:

Vinny
12-14-2006, 07:49 PM
Vinny, you've been letting me down lately...I gotta look to Grid for the smartest analyst now...:shades:I'm sorry I was wrong about Vince and predicted Carr would struggle long term 3 years ago...I'll try harder with my future observations.

ThaShark316
12-14-2006, 07:51 PM
You were supposed to look at that comment I made and laugh, and not say anything...damn you for killing my poor attempt at a joke...Vinny, i'm gunning for you dude.:mario:

dantem
12-14-2006, 07:52 PM
Top Defensive Rookie: Ryans... This guys leads everyone in tackles unofficially, and his is by the ball so much, he makes it look like there 3 number 59's on the field.

Well the gods have spoken, I guess it must be true :)

Vinny
12-14-2006, 07:53 PM
I'm just used to the haters giving me grief for not following the crowd....it's all good.

ThaShark316
12-14-2006, 07:58 PM
I'm just used to the haters giving me grief for not following the crowd....it's all good.

Of course you're gonna have haters...but Vinny, you need haters...if you have 30 haters, you need to get it to 40 before the new year, lol.

ON topic...I hate jumping into "who's been disappointing as a rookie", because that can be so flawed...I like to look at who's playing well, and give the rooks a shot until it can be determined that said rookie is indeed a bust.

Vinny
12-14-2006, 08:00 PM
ON topic...I hate jumping into "who's been disappointing as a rookie", because that can be so flawed...I like to look at who's playing well, and give the rooks a shot until it can be determined that said rookie is indeed a bust.yeah, but this is what message boards are for....so what the heck.

thunderkyss
12-14-2006, 08:45 PM

If I were to bet money.... I would bet that Gary Kubiak would not change one thing about this years draft.

And if we did not draft Mario, most of you guys would be complaining about why we drafted Demeco to begin with.

Actually if we drafted Vince(the only other #1 prospect in this draft) we'd have more than likely went running back, taking Adai if D'Angelo wasn't there.

Mario is exactly what we thought he was.......... a fast, strong 6'7" 295lb monster with a motor that won't quit.

He is not the sack machine the media tried to make us think we were getting, he is an excellent DE, a solid DE, who can pressure the QB, with the potential to be the best all around DE this league has seen since Reggie White. I haven't seen anything to suggest otherwise.

I believe Kubiak may be questioning the timetable he set for David's turn around... He may even be wondering if he can turn things around with David(I don't think he's ready to give up.... )

He might be wondering about some of the roster moves we made...

But I seriously doubt he is dissappointed in the player he got in Mario Williams.

Bubbajwp
12-14-2006, 08:48 PM
:includeme:

Sorry Ive been wanting to do that for a while.

Trap_Star
12-14-2006, 08:56 PM
I hate "NFL LIVE". That show does nothing for me. They only care about the eastcoast teams and Terrell Owens. T.O. could lose everything today and become a bum. They'd still dedicate the first 10 minutes of the show on what he found in the dumpster behind McDonalds....:brickwall :twocents:

TexanLen
12-14-2006, 09:04 PM
It is way too early on all these rookies. #90 could be a bust, or he could turn out to be another Bruce Smith who didn't come into his own till his third year. I don't know about you, but i think Bruce Smith was a pretty good little player. A bad wheel is something to keep you from playing the game you are capable of. Look at a healthy Ron Dayne the past couple of weeks. He has looked like the Bull on the big screen since he has been healthy. All we can do is give Mario time.

TexansFanatic
12-14-2006, 09:10 PM
It is way too early on all these rookies. #90 could be a bust, or he could turn out to be another Bruce Smith who didn't come into his own till his third year. I don't know about you, but i think Bruce Smith was a pretty good little player. A bad wheel is something to keep you from playing the game you are capable of. Look at a healthy Ron Dayne the past couple of weeks. He has looked like the Bull on the big screen since he has been healthy. All we can do is give Mario time.

Bruce Smith had 6.5 sacks his first year and 15 sacks his second year.
Bruce Smith's career stats (http://www.footballdb.com/players/smithbr01)

phantom17
12-14-2006, 09:16 PM

Well said! I'm not ready to give up on Mario just yet, I'll wait 2-3 yrs. to crown him bust or beast!:snobord: :) We just need to give him time to mature, experience & D support, besides Demeco!:mario:

TexanLen
12-14-2006, 09:22 PM
Bruce Smith had 6.5 sacks his first year and 15 sacks his second year.
Bruce Smith's career stats (http://www.footballdb.com/players/smithbr01)

Ok, he's a bust!!!

JUST KIDDING!!!

Williams hasn't done too bad, he only has 4.5 sacks, but i am not ready to give up on him yet. #1 pick? I am not sure, but there is nothing any of us can do about that right now. All we can do is move on and HOPE the new regime learns from their mistakes if they feel they made one.

TexansFanatic
12-14-2006, 09:36 PM
Ok, he's a bust!!!

JUST KIDDING!!!

Williams hasn't done too bad, he only has 4.5 sacks, but i am not ready to give up on him yet. #1 pick? I am not sure, but there is nothing any of us can do about that right now. All we can do is move on and HOPE the new regime learns from their mistakes if they feel they made one.

Actually what you said before might have been slightly inaccurate, but Bruce Smith's stats still make me hopeful. Mario is still on target to have 6.5 sacks his first year. If he's fully healthy next year, who knows? The next Bruce Smith? Still not impossible....

Bruce Smith was the first overall pick in 1985. You suppose after 6.5 sacks his first year the fans in Buffalo were disappointed?

beerlover
12-14-2006, 09:47 PM
both lines have been decimated by injurys & the talent level is below average across the board, of course Mario is going to struggle, even more so with his injury. I'm betting there is going be to drastic change to the d-line to help get Mario free (remember the pre-season they experimented moving him around so defenses could not key on him as much, but moth-balled that experiment because people though it was too much for him to digest).

many questions remain but the sooner they compliment his skills with some inside power to push & collapse the pocket the sooner he'll shine & the Texans front office will be Vincedicated :marionaner:

kfranco_utexas
12-14-2006, 10:21 PM

Not me Vinny.:ok:

Double Barrel
12-14-2006, 11:09 PM

I think you have to look at the logic behind ESPN's statements. They gave Mario the 'biggest disappointment' because he'll always be compared to Bush. Who does the comparing? Mostly ESPN! Who has always been in love with Bush? ESPN! They grade based upon self-serving logic. They're all about highlights, which equals ratings, which equals money.

DeMeco is an obvious choice for D-ROY, so they'd look like fools for not picking him. It's too obvious.

texan's blue
12-15-2006, 07:47 AM
Ok guys...I realize that it's a part of our creedo to hate ESPN...but here's my question...

What is inaccurate about what they said about Mario???
They didn't say that he SUCKED.
They didn't out him as a loser.
If Dime heard them correctly, and I have no reason to believe otherwise...then who WOULDN'T say he has been a disappointment???
The NFL Live guys didn't say he was the 2006 "Ryan Leaf"...just that he was a disappointment. They even go on to say that it's "Mostly not his fault." Seems to me that they did ANYTHING but blast him. The truth does hurt sometimes. We are ALL hoping for the best for next year, with Mario...but the honest truth is, he HAS been a disappointment. Call it "getting his feet on the ground" or whatever you like...but it IS what it is.

Coachdent may have some solid numbers to support this for all of you stat junkies out there...

ESPN like everybody else seems to be judging Mario Williams solely on # of sacks... What they fail to point out , if anybody pays attention to the games, is a very high percentage of run plays are away from Mario's side of the field that alone means that offenses respect him... he may not have a lot of sacks but you see a lot of pressure and pursuit from him (which is pretty exceptional, I think,when you think that he's playing with a bad foot)... sure we all want to see him plowing through QB's... hell, I'd settle for Kubiak letting him run through Carr during practice at this point... I'd love it if Kubiak would let Mario take a late hit on the QB every now and then just to put some fear into the guy...... but to say that he's a dissappointment is a bit extreme. He is part of a defense that was close to the bottom if not dead last in virtually every category last year... now with him and Ryans we are closer to average... Let Mario get healthy and let us pick up another couple of young, talented defensive players and watch our defense shine...

TEXANS84
12-15-2006, 08:15 AM

Mario was drafted #1 in front of two great players.

Vernon Davis broke his leg earlier in the season-pass
AJ Hawk has played ok for a #6 pick-pass
Jay Cutler has just taken the reigns of the Broncos and needs time-pass

Mario doesn't get the free pass, injury or not.

Bamaborn-Texasbred
12-15-2006, 08:23 AM
Is this a Mario thread or a Demeco thread? I'm confused.

Demeco, of course, rocks the mother-scratching house!

Bamaborn-Texasbred
12-15-2006, 08:25 AM
Oh, I see.. It's an NFL live thread. Isn't that on RBESPN?

Malloy
12-15-2006, 09:57 AM
both lines have been decimated by injurys & the talent level is below average across the board, of course Mario is going to struggle, even more so with his injury. I'm betting there is going be to drastic change to the d-line to help get Mario free (remember the pre-season they experimented moving him around so defenses could not key on him as much, but moth-balled that experiment because people though it was too much for him to digest).

many questions remain but the sooner they compliment his skills with some inside power to push & collapse the pocket the sooner he'll shine & the Texans front office will be Vincedicated :marionaner:

Very good observation. Another off-season is going to help the players AND the coaching staff alot, them being able to plan the team around the new players we got this draft. I expect to see more defensive gameplanning around Mario in the next season, and I expect him to function even better.

The whole bust discussion, it's sorta useless for me. Whether or not a player is a failure (like the word better than bust) is indeed in the eye of the beholder. If you expect a #1 draft pick to excell in his first season, well then he's a failure. But if you, like me, expect him to function as one of the pieces in the D-line puzzle, then he's not a failure, far from it.

I like the long-term planning that Mcnair and Kubiak is doing, I like the fact that we're not trying to get the instant gratification, quick fix, of getting 'the best player', but instead going after the piece of the puzzle needed. Longterm planning is what makes good teams, and I'm happy to see that's exactly where we're going.

goodnews boy
12-15-2006, 10:07 AM
[QUOTE= Again, it's way to early to judge anyone from this draft class.[/QUOTE]

No its not. They said Bush and are being voted into the hall of Fame as we speak:ok:

real
12-15-2006, 10:13 AM
The only reason "it's too early to judge anyone from this draft", is because we have Mario....

If Mario had come out of the gate a monster I'm 100% sure the same guys would be talking about how we "made the right move"....

If it's "too early to judge anyone from this draft", how come Meco is talked up so much?

Answer: double standard

texan's blue
12-15-2006, 10:15 AM
Well, I'll assume that since you directed this post to me...that I am the "stat junkie" you're referencing. So what does that make you then...an "excuse junkie?"

Nothing was said about "sacks" in the commentary. Let's just compare tackles then...still SUBPAR for a #1 O-V-E-R-A-L-L P-I-C-K. Seems that everyone sees that. It's NOT bashing the guy to say he's been a disappointment. At some point in time, everyone comes out of their funk. VY & RB have already found that time. Seems that Demeco NEVER HAD A "FUNK!" MW was sold to the fans as an immediate difference maker.

EXCUSES:
#1: He's on a crappy team. [So is Berry w/the Cardinals & he's got 6 sacks...oh wait he's a veteran, it must not count! Burgess w/Oakland has 10 sacks & 36 tackles...crappy team theory doesn't work here!]
#2: He's injured. [So he's got a fart hung crossways...deal with it]
#3: He's ALWAYS getting held. [So does EVERY OTHER defensive player in the league]
#4: Plays go away from him. [Doesn't matter much when you throw up your hands and look for the flag, now does it? Do you think that teams run AT: Peppers, Strahan, Kearse, etc?]

And like the guys said, "Much of it isn't even his fault!"

Let me make sure that I say this slowly for you...cause apparently you didn't get it the first time...

We AREN'T TALKING about NEXT YEAR or the years to come...
We ARE talking about RIGHT NOW! Present Day! And YES, in the minds and hearts of MANY, Mario IS a disappointment. AGAIN, we aren't talking about what will happen next year if we make some additions to the defense...we are talking about RIGHT NOW! And imo, right now, Mario has been a disappointment.

What most people don't ever talk about is the fact that there is a good chance (imo) that the reason Demeco (Not hating on `Meco, he's a stud!) and Mario have such "inflated" tackles stats, is because they are ALWAYS ON THE FIELD...in other words, the Bears shut teams down. 3 & out. Then the next series and 3 & out. Not as much opportunity for tackles. The Texans D is always on the field, so they have MANY more chances to make tackles. When instead of 3 & out, a team goes: 1st, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, punt/field goal/touchdown...then it's pretty obvious that we have infinitely more chances to make "tackles." Shut down defenses are harder for tackles to come by and therefore harder for stats to be inflated. To compare Anderson's 10 sacks with the Bears to Mario's stats with us, is somewhat ridiculous imo.

actually i wasn't referring to you as a stat junky. sorry, didn't mean to get your panties in a wad... I quoted you because your post emphasizes the "Mario is a dissappointment" which is what this thread is about... he's a dissappointment to those who expected him to rack up numbers... fact is he is a force on our defense and has been part of a great improvement on that side of the ball.... if that is dissappointing then people need to start finding other teams and players to watch because our beloved Texans are going to be disappointing for a long time to come I'm afraid.... obviously, every single person will interpret stats and players however they want... there is no point in arguing over this. He's a disappointment to some and but not to me. My excuses help me smile at the end of a very long, bad season.... :tease:

Double Barrel
12-15-2006, 10:17 AM
Alright, saw the piece on NFL Live, and one thing that was overlooked was that he said Mario will improve and become dominant force on the D-line. He was basically saying that at this point in time, for a no. 1 overall pick, he's been a bit of a disappointment. I can't really argue with how they phrased it, and I think Mario will improve, as well.

Texansfan36
12-15-2006, 10:21 AM
Lol the remarks on NFL live were nothing to what was going on on Mike and Mike in the morning today. It's nothing to fret over, BSPN goes with the Flavor of the Month, nothing more, nothing less.

mexican_texan
12-15-2006, 10:29 AM
Uh...let's se here....
NFL Network>>>>ESPN
SR610>>>>ESPN 790
That guy on the corner>>>>Sean Salisbury

Tayton
12-15-2006, 10:34 AM
If you were able to watch games you would see that Mario is playing better than his stats, maybe not #1 pick good but definately not a bust. We were swithing from a 3-4 to a 4-3, had no DEs, and they wanted a good one. A few weeks ago Reggie Bush had only 1 TD (on special teams) and he was the bust of the draft. The media won't do it but we need to let this thing play out.

Double Barrel
12-15-2006, 10:36 AM
I'm sure when our defense becomes one of the more dominant ones in the NFL, all the 'experts' at ESPN will gladly act like they knew it would happen all along. These analysts are a bunch of sheep and rarely admit that they were ever wrong.

run-david-run
12-15-2006, 10:40 AM
The thing that gives me hope about Mario is that the foot injury coicides with the lack of sacks. He had a sack in 3 straight games before the injury was made public, and none since. Dont know how related those two things are, but its the one thing Im really clinging to in my hope that Mario will be great, and Im pretty confident he will be. And here is to DeMeco!

hot pickle
12-15-2006, 10:44 AM
The thing that gives me hope about Mario is that the foot injury coicides with the lack of sacks. He had a sack in 3 straight games before the injury was made public, and none since. Dont know how related those two things are, but its the one thing Im really clinging to in my hope that Mario will be great, and Im pretty confident he will be. And here is to DeMeco!

can mario get sugery to repair his foot, or is it just something he has to get used to and deal with?

beerlover
12-15-2006, 10:49 AM
can mario get sugery to repair his foot, or is it just something he has to get used to and deal with?

I've heard Kubiak say he just needs rest, yet playing will not make it worse, so he should be fully recovered by next season :)

Texan_Bill
12-15-2006, 10:53 AM
Typically Plantar Fasciitis is treated with rest. That is to say that after the season, he will need to stay off his feet for a while. In extreme cases, surgery is an option.

http://www.arthroscopy.com/sp09001.htm

texan's blue
12-15-2006, 10:56 AM
Alright, saw the piece on NFL Live, and one thing that was overlooked was that he said Mario will improve and become dominant force on the D-line. He was basically saying that at this point in time, for a no. 1 overall pick, he's been a bit of a disappointment. I can't really argue with how they phrased it, and I think Mario will improve, as well.

I guess this is a classic case of not getting all of the info... :secret: really I don't know what all the fuss is about on this board. The Texans may never be a Superbowl caliber team... we may not even get into the playoffs every year. We are what we are and we have the players that we have. All we can really do as fans is root for them and hope that they succeed. Seems like everybody on this board. Yes VY is playing way beyond average and RB is finally putting up numbers... but we don't have them. I think that VY would still love to play for his hometown team but only time will tell. Until then any improvement is not disappointing to me... :gotexans1

mexican_texan
12-15-2006, 11:03 AM
Typically Plantar Fasciitis is treated with rest. That is to say that after the season, he will need to stay off his feet for a while. In extreme cases, surgery is an option.

http://www.arthroscopy.com/sp09001.htm
...and it has been reported that he will have surgery.

HOU-TEX
12-15-2006, 11:09 AM

Do you have a link for that report? Otherwise, I'll believe what Kubiak has said in the past. Rest!

Mr teX
12-15-2006, 12:14 PM
I always give rookies at least 2 years to "expect" something of them. Mario, RB & VY are no different in my eyes no matter what they do their rookie year. The game is about longevity.

Texan_Bill
12-15-2006, 12:55 PM

Really?? If you can post a link...

texan's blue
12-15-2006, 03:17 PM
Understood...but some of us (fans) don't get to actually SEE Texans games. The ONLY thing that we have to go off of, IS stats, a balanced report of events on the message boards, and play by play on nfl.com

And as a sidenote: The point of arguing this subject IS to help us smile and cope, at the end of a very long, bad season...

2nd sidenote: Don't wear panties...sorry dude...incapable of "wadding." :heh: love it!!!

That's my point though... people (not everyone so nobody else get upset by my generalization here) go off of stats and what is SUPPOSED TO BE balanced reporting but it's not at all... ESPN and SI and FSN are all have very biased shows and most of what is on this board is beyond biased. I hardly ever even watch those shows anymore or the news for that matter because everybody is always trying to turn stories into more than they are or make stories out of nothing... I get to watch the game, don't know if that is good or bad, and I watch Mario in hot pursuit on a large number of plays... unfortunately he is usually just a step or two behind (hence, foot problem excuse)... I can't run well as it is and I'm sure that a bad foot would slow me down to going backwards...... the guy is a beast and hopefully he get bigger, stronger, healthier, faster and starts eating o-lines and QBs for Sunday lunch... and maybe a Monday night dinner or two...

Where's Coachdent been?????? Anybody know? I like his posts because they are purely factual. He gives credit where it is due and points out the bad just as well. But it's not based on who he likes or doesn't like it's about what they did in the game. Am I disappointed that MW doesn't have 50+ sacks.... well hell yeah!!! but i'm not disappointed in what he has done and I see a whole lot of promise if he sticks to the effort he has given up to this point...

DeclanJr
12-15-2006, 03:49 PM
I got to see my first live game this season last week against Tennessee and what seemed like a glaring weakness to me was our inability to get pressure on the quarterback. Maybe we were trying to contain in order to force Young to throw instead of running the ball. I'm not going to blame it on anyone specific, but it was just an observation. Mario is getting better and just needs time to adjust to the NFL. The guy is still pretty young.

HomeBred_Texan
12-15-2006, 03:55 PM
You guys are brutal. If some of you are not bashing Carr, then some others are bashing Williams, and then some others are bashing A Johnson for dropping a pass and yet some others are bashing Cook for fumbling.

Bash Bash Bash. I guess everyone can't be pleased with everyone...

I wish we could all just look at the positives and stick to them. :stirpot:

So continue on bashing players...:hides:

RazorOye
12-15-2006, 05:04 PM
I'll take Pallilo over anyone at 610.

But I miss him and Rich Lord together.

At all other times of the day, I am all about 610.

As for what NFL Live says - I don't worry about what those knuckleheads say. They go where the media popularity is.

Once Williams is no longer hurt and gets back to producing, I think the media frenzy will start to dissipate. Unfortunately we might have to wait until next season to see that.