Weight: 255
Born: 11/21/1971
College: Texas Southern
Year Team G Total Tkl Ast Sacks
1993 Giants 9 3 1.0 2 1.0
1994 Giants 15 38 25.0 13 4.5

phantom17
12-14-2006, 05:35 PM
Wow, with those stats from Strahan from 1993 & 1994 then he must be a BUST! :rolleyes: :shocked

Second Honeymoon
12-14-2006, 05:38 PM
Strahan was not picked #1 overall. Therein lies the difference when comparing the two. No one is really saying Mario sucks. People are just saying HE SUCKS as #1 overall pick....especially when you consider what we passed on.

its an ugly truth but the truth nonetheless.

BigSaint8050
12-14-2006, 05:42 PM
One word.... HA.....

Multiply that by 1000, thats my response.

dantem
12-14-2006, 05:45 PM
Strahan was not picked #1 overall. Therein lies the difference when comparing the two. No one is really saying Mario sucks. People are just saying HE SUCKS as #1 overall pick....especially when you consider what we passed on.

He was only picked no 1 because he fit our needs at the time, what does the order he was picked in have to do with weather or not he is a good player?

dantem
12-14-2006, 05:47 PM
One word.... HA.....

By the way, the saints must have been crazy to pass up DeMeco Ryans and take Bush.

t_flare
12-14-2006, 05:51 PM
McNair said it today with should make sense for everyone... they are BUILDING this team from the ground up... Dom and Casserly build it up then got rid of Glenn, Sharper and the vets and took it down.

If find another pass rusher to play the LE spot. Have Mario RE, Travis Johnson and Weaver to stop the run. Find OLB that are better than what you have now, Ryans in the middle. Find a 2nd CB, move Faggins to nickel and upgrade one or both safties.

This Defense can be top 15 this year after their terrible start. You upgrade it more and make it like a Chicago, like a Denver, like a Baltomore.

Then your offense doesnt have to me magic to win games.

So in for Mario, he is playing injured since the 8th game of the season. He shows flashs of great DE plays as a rookie. IF he gets better, he is a DE starter for the next 10 years.

light
12-14-2006, 05:51 PM
i still think mario is a better pick than reggie bush. especially if he maximizes his ability. defese wins super bowls, and kubiak knows the offensive side of the ball. The texans did make the mistake of not seriously considering vince young though. Reggie cant handle the years of pounding the nfl has in store for him, i give him 5 years tops.....

phantom17
12-14-2006, 05:52 PM

Unfortunately, but we didn't pick Vince Young ( the living GOD), so we all need to move on & don't dwell on the past! Until the living GOD wins multiple Superbowls, then I will change my tune! We ALL gotta support Mario, 1st pick or not, this is not he's fault & he seems to want to become better! I have a feeling once Mario becomes better the sting from not drafting the living GOD-Vince will lessen!!!:secret: :)

light
12-14-2006, 05:52 PM
Wow, with those stats from Strahan from 1993 & 1994 then he must be a BUST! :rolleyes: :shocked

thats his first two seasons in the league, he really didnt take off until '96

phantom17
12-14-2006, 06:00 PM
thats his first two seasons in the league, he really didnt take off until '96

Light- I know! I was being sarcastic with all of these "We should have pick Vince, or the slash2 aka Bush over Mario comments! I think if Stahan wouldn't have been injured-the Giants should have beaten the Cowboys or Titans, among others. Stahan + healthy = HAVOC on opposing Offenses!:mario2:

Second Honeymoon
12-14-2006, 06:37 PM
He was only picked no 1 because he fit our needs at the time, what does the order he was picked in have to do with weather or not he is a good player?

You can read what you want out of my quote. My main point was when people mention Strahan's early career statistics and production you have to remember that Mario was the #1 pick overall. Strahan was not the #1 overall pick, thus Mario should be making more of an impact on the field than Strahan did Year One.

Unfortunately, but we didn't pick Vince Young ( the living GOD), so we all need to move on & don't dwell on the past! Until the living GOD wins multiple Superbowls, then I will change my tune! We ALL gotta support Mario, 1st pick or not, this is not he's fault & he seems to want to become better! I have a feeling once Mario becomes better the sting from not drafting the living GOD-Vince will lessen!!!:secret: :)

Please leave Vince Young out of this. It really just outs you as a bitterman. He beat us, get over it. This is a Mario v Strahan thread. Because Mario was by definition, a reach, the organization will always be forced to deal with the multiple impact players they passed on to pick Mario. Mario could be better than Strahan for all we know. I already like his ability to play with pain and not further injure himself, and I think he could get a mean streak oneday. However, he was chosen #1 overall thus he is judged by a different standard than Strahan was.

Strahan ended up working out for the Giants as he developed over the years into the DE he is presently. Great story and a great smile. The fact is that Mario MUST develop into a Strahan level talent (not the longevity necessarily) in order to justify where the Texans took him. Period. Mario wasnt the only DE in the draft after all.

nunusguy
12-14-2006, 06:52 PM
Yes, its brutally frank and difficult to accept, but there it is. And its the truth.
But nobody is saying Mario is going to be a bust. Not by a long-shot.
IMO Mario will be a good, maybe a very good NFL DLineman as long as his
career is not slowed down too much by injuries.

Tayton
12-14-2006, 07:09 PM
One word.... HA.....

We know, now go home.

Second Honeymoon
12-14-2006, 07:18 PM
We know, now go home.

Is that a 'Go Back To New Orleans' blast? If so, that is a first.

light
12-14-2006, 07:22 PM
[QUOTE=Second Honeymoon;537649]You can read what you want out of my quote. My main point was when people mention Strahan's early career statistics and production you have to remember that Mario was the #1 pick overall. Strahan was not the #1 overall pick, thus Mario should be making more of an impact on the field than Strahan did Year One.

Mario wasn't brought in to be an imediate impact, its not like we were going to make a run at the super bowl this year. he was obviously brought in to be a franchise player on defense. It's nearly impossible to aquire a big time defensive end from the free agency, unlike a rb.

light
12-14-2006, 07:23 PM
Light- I know! I was being sarcastic with all of these "We should have pick Vince, or the slash2 aka Bush over Mario comments! I think if Stahan wouldn't have been injured-the Giants should have beaten the Cowboys or Titans, among others. Stahan + healthy = HAVOC on opposing Offenses!:mario2:

we know what we're talking about. did you use to play defense?

Grid
12-14-2006, 07:34 PM
Alot of people say we should have traded down rather than pick Mario #1.. yet ive heard of no offer that we passed on.. just the opposite actually.. ive heard that no one in the top 5 offered any worthwhile trade, and if we had traded out of the top 5, we wouldnt have gotten Bush, Williams, or Young.

nunusguy
12-14-2006, 07:51 PM
Alot of people say we should have traded down rather than pick Mario #1.. yet ive heard of no offer that we passed on
"The Jets made small efforts to try to trade up to 2 for Bush (we offered our 2 1st round picks and our 2nd rounder but the Saints wanted at least another 1st round pick)"
http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26325&page=4

According to the above post on the Jets MB, it was common knowledge up there that the Jets tried to work out a deal with the Saints for Bush, and offered their 2 first (#4 & #29 overall) and their 2nd round pick, but the Saints wanted more.
That same deal had to also be there for the Texans before they made their choice.

Grid
12-14-2006, 08:06 PM
not necessarily.. the Jets probably didnt make that offer until we took Williams.. there is fairly large difference in worth between the first and second pick.

Grid
12-14-2006, 08:09 PM
also.. that would have put us at #4 right?

Well the Jets would have taken Bush #1.. and word at the time was that the Saints wanted Williams, there have also been rumors that they would have taken Ferguson, but everything we were hearing at draft time was that they wanted Williams.

So Bush gone, Williams gone, and Bud Adams sent word from on high that they were to take Vince Young.. so we would have been at the #4 pick without Bush, Williams, or Young.. and to be honest, I dont want Ferguson.

ThaShark316
12-14-2006, 08:11 PM
also.. that would have put us at #4 right?

Well the Jets would have taken Bush #1.. and word at the time was that the Saints wanted Williams, there have also been rumors that they would have taken Ferguson, but everything we were hearing at draft time was that they wanted Williams.

So Bush gone, Williams gone, and Bud Adams sent word from on high that they were to take Vince Young.. so we would have been at the #4 pick without Bush, Williams, or Young.. and to be honest, I dont want Ferguson.

May I ask you Grid...what's wrong with D-Brick...I saw him in one game this year (even though I have Sunday Ticket), and I thought Mario bested him for the most part...

Mr. White
12-14-2006, 08:12 PM
not necessarily.. the Jets probably didnt make that offer until we took Williams.. there is fairly large difference in worth between the first and second pick.

It was a foregone conclusion that we were taking Bush at that time. I remember hearing about the Jets offer on ESPN on draft day. They also said that the Titans had an offer for Bush as well...probably to keep from showing their hand.

NO already had a strong RB so other teams probably thought they would be looking to make a deal.

Grid
12-14-2006, 08:12 PM
I just dont think Dbrick is a first round LT.. I dont see him as an upgrade on our line. I liked the Spencer pick much better, and if spencer comes back at 100% from this injury, I think he is gonna be a better lineman than Dbrick.

phantom17
12-14-2006, 08:23 PM
You can read what you want out of my quote. My main point was when people mention Strahan's early career statistics and production you have to remember that Mario was the #1 pick overall. Strahan was not the #1 overall pick, thus Mario should be making more of an impact on the field than Strahan did Year One.

Please leave Vince Young out of this. It really just outs you as a bitterman. He beat us, get over it. This is a Mario v Strahan thread. Because Mario was by definition, a reach, the organization will always be forced to deal with the multiple impact players they passed on to pick Mario. Mario could be better than Strahan for all we know. I already like his ability to play with pain and not further injure himself, and I think he could get a mean streak oneday. However, he was chosen #1 overall thus he is judged by a different standard than Strahan was.

Strahan ended up working out for the Giants as he developed over the years into the DE he is presently. Great story and a great smile. The fact is that Mario MUST develop into a Strahan level talent (not the longevity necessarily) in order to justify where the Texans took him. Period. Mario wasnt the only DE in the draft after all.

To be fair Second- I was NEVER bitter! I'm very happy that Houston has a football team to root for win or lose! One day they will win more! Mario was My 1st choice all along, cuz I'm more into D plus they signed Carr to a long-term deal! I'm just tired of reading all the woulda, coulda, shoulda on this forum that's all, but apparently you got ALL sensitve, & resorted to cheap shots & thought I was insulting you but I didn't! I'm sorry you felt that way! If you read all my previous post about Mario-it's ALL BEEN positive!

Mr. White
12-14-2006, 08:34 PM
This MB is an ugly place to be tonight.

nunusguy
12-14-2006, 08:35 PM
You're missing the point Grid. You said there ware no trading partners for us,
and I'm saying we had to have the same deal as the Saints would have had. Right ?
Dang man, with the 2 first rounders the Jets took D'Brick and Nick Mangold.
I don't know who they used their 2nd rounder on. I would take those 2 over Mario in a heartbeat. The base for your OLine for 10 years.

Grid
12-14-2006, 11:16 PM
Im saying that the Jets may very well have not wanted to make an offer for the first pick. They may have been waiting to see who we would take so that they could make a move on the cheaper second pick. They may have decided that they wanted Williams or Bush..or... Ferguson or Bush.. and they didnt care which we took, so they let us pick then made a move on N.O.

Is that how it went down? I dunno.. but I know I didnt hear anything about US getting an offer from the Jets.

As for Mangold and DBrick.. I like our picks of Winston and Spencer... ill take Winston, Spencer, and Williams.

Oilersfan
12-14-2006, 11:29 PM
Mario has the potential to be a freak in this league, but lets not be to hasty to put him with the likes of Michael Strahan, Just like Bush and Young shouldn't be compared to the likes of Barry Sanders and Joe Montana. Only time will tell.

nunusguy
12-15-2006, 07:29 AM
As for Mangold and DBrick.. I like our picks of Winston and Spencer... ill take Winston, Spencer, and Williams.
Here's what I like:
LT - D'Brick
LG - Pitts
C - Mangold
RG - Winston
RT - Spencer

eriadoc
12-15-2006, 08:19 AM
Ferguson's body of work so far has been pretty impressive. I'd take him on this line in a heartbeat.

Texan_Bill
12-15-2006, 09:12 AM
I don't know how this thread turned into O-line, so I will get back on topic..."Mario Williams vs. Michael Strahan"....

Well I have succumb to all the VY jock sniffers out there... I ran out and bought a Strahan jersey and had my teeth surgically fixed to emulate Strahans..... Why? He went to my HS... So the next time the Giants come to town, I will don my Giants gear and cheer him feverishly...... :hides:

Right!!! Whatever!!! :blah: :blah: :blah:

goodnews boy
12-15-2006, 09:34 AM

The Texans tried to trade down but had no takers. So what should they do if Mr. Williams is the guy they wanted? You can almost guarantee he won't be there in the second round.

Tailgate
12-15-2006, 11:09 AM
Here is a question.

Would teams have used a #1 on Strahan knowing what they know now???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_NFL_Draft

run-david-run
12-15-2006, 11:33 AM
Id say Strahan or Willie Roaf from that list...is it just me or was that a terrible draft?

rittenhouserobz
12-15-2006, 12:02 PM
Reggie cant handle the years of pounding the nfl has in store for him, i give him 5 years tops.....

How about Warrick Dunn.http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/3893/career;_ylt=AoU_FLir21xi98N5ssMJ0or.uLYF

I will agree, he won't have 10 years of 1600 yards and 20 tds. However, I would expect at least 4-5 seasons of 1700 yards and 25 tds. He will taper off by 30 and get around 750-1000 yards and 10 tds. If your the Saints you love that prognosis. This is assuming Deuce is gone next year.

Williams vs. Strahan can be a tough comparison. Comparing two players is like looking at two houses with the same dimensions on the outside, but not really knowing all the similarites and differences on the inside. I think the stats are a small indicator for comparison. That being said I believe Mario is going to be an outstanding.