PDA

View Full Version : Rick Smith

PocketAces
12-14-2006, 12:33 AM
Does anyone have any insight or info on our GM. I know Charley C. will be a name that wil never leave the minds of Texans fans, but what do we know about this guy other than he was from Denver?

DontTreadOnMe
12-14-2006, 12:46 AM
uhhh he was an assistant GM for denver... as a player, he played linebacker i believe.. he is the youngest gm in the NFL.. he will work well with kubes because they do not see "eye to eye" on everything, and i believe this will help us have solid drafts year in, year out. i like how kubes didnt want a gm who would be a "yes man" because anybody who took the job had to know that kubes has the dominate say in just about all personel decisions. and by signing somebody that he often disagrees with, allows our management to be critical of the organization from within (from all perspectives)... once this takes place, we will see major changes and hopefully team improvement will follow soon afterwards.

painekiller
12-14-2006, 03:23 AM
When we had injuries to our DBs he brought in guys from the street that played OK until Faggins got back. When our DTs all started to break and go to the IR for the season, again he went to the street, and he got guys who as a group have played pretty well the last few weeks. When the OL started to go down he went to the street and got some guys who may get a shot to stay around this off season.

See a pattern here? I do. He seems to have a pretty good grasp of what type of guys the coaches need, and he seems to have a magic black book.

Guys he has found off the street:

Lionel Dalton (he played for DL coach in KC)
Ron Dayne
Von Hutchings
Scott Jackson
Thomas Johnson
Cedrick Killings
Vonta Leach ( played in GB for Sherman)
Anthony Maddox
Dexter McCleon
Dexter Wynn
Bradlee Van Pelt

Eleven guys since the start of training camp have been added to the current roster. 21% of the roster.(does not count the guys picked up and then later cut, only current players). Most are playing every week for us. The DTs and DBs are not just being used as special team guys. These guys are having to play due to injuries.

I'd say Smith is doing a pretty solid job so far. He is mixing in guys the coaches know with guys from the street. I can not wait for the draft and undrafted FAs. Smith should do really well with this.

threetoedpete
12-14-2006, 04:56 AM
Agreed. Nice post,

Unlike CC, this guy walks the walk. CC talked a good game for sure. Fooled me. There hasn't been any appreciable drop off with the d-line playeven with the injuries. Finding a decent return guy/CB this late in the season was also a plum. Not a pro bowl guy. But Wynn hasn't been an imbarrassment either. Wanna bang on someone...need to find another canidate for your whipping post.

threetoedpete
12-14-2006, 04:58 AM
"The Guys" name is Rick Smith.

aj.
12-14-2006, 07:37 AM
When we had injuries to our DBs he brought in guys from the street that played OK until Faggins got back. When our DTs all started to break and go to the IR for the season, again he went to the street, and he got guys who as a group have played pretty well the last few weeks. When the OL started to go down he went to the street and got some guys who may get a shot to stay around this off season.

See a pattern here? I do. He seems to have a pretty good grasp of what type of guys the coaches need, and he seems to have a magic black book.

Guys he has found off the street:

Lionel Dalton (he played for DL coach in KC)
Ron Dayne
Von Hutchings
Scott Jackson
Thomas Johnson
Cedrick Killings
Vonta Leach ( played in GB for Sherman)
Anthony Maddox
Dexter McCleon
Dexter Wynn
Bradlee Van Pelt

Eleven guys since the start of training camp have been added to the current roster. 21% of the roster.(does not count the guys picked up and then later cut, only current players). Most are playing every week for us. The DTs and DBs are not just being used as special team guys. These guys are having to play due to injuries.

I'd say Smith is doing a pretty solid job so far. He is mixing in guys the coaches know with guys from the street. I can not wait for the draft and undrafted FAs. Smith should do really well with this.

I've been wanting to say this for a while. Thanks for saving me the time and effort.

Maddox is playing great at DT -- better than Travis Johnson ever has.

nunusguy
12-14-2006, 09:51 AM
I can only hope he is the one who makes the call on the Texans top pick this
coming April and not Kubiak, especially if we end up with a really, really
high pick. Like top 3 or so. It can happen. Hopefully we won't beat out the Raiders for #1. That's the last thing we need.
I'm listening to somebody on 610 right now who used to play at Rice, and currently coachs a semi-pro team in the Houston area. When asked about the Texans draft picks this year, he talked about Kubaik having need requirements as a way to avoid the issue of who Kubiak didn't pick.
Maybe Rick Smith will remember something Kubiak obviously has forgotten:
when you're making the first round pick, especally when its a real high pick (and they don't get any higher than #1), stick with the old axiom of BPA. This
idea about drafting a defensive player with the #1 because you think building the D is a higher priortity than building the O is the kind of strategy that yields less than the full potential of the Draft pick for your team.

Honoring Earl 34
12-14-2006, 10:13 AM
I'm being an optimist and saying Mario is all that and with a couple of pieces our defense is going to be a force . Mario did'nt have the immediate impact but that does'nt mean he will not be a star .

That means fix the offense which should be easiest for Kubiak . With Ric Smith and Kubiak picking and making FA choices ... I think that the offense is not so far off .

The Texans have the highest ranked center of the 2002 draft in Fred Weary ... next year he might play center . Spencer can play guard or tackle ... Pitts is OK ... Winston still learning ... draft OT ... find a guard .

Weed out McKinney ... Salaam ... Flannagan .

nunusguy
12-14-2006, 10:29 AM
I'm being an optimist and saying Mario is all that and with a couple of pieces our defense is going to be a force . Mario did'nt have the immediate impact but that does'nt mean he will not be a star .
More than anything else, Mario was supposed to be an elite pass rusher.
Somebody like a Julius Peppers, or a Jason Taylor, or a Shawn Merrian, etc.
Now that the season is almost complete, I have yet to see that kind of
potential in Mario Williams.

Honoring Earl 34
12-14-2006, 10:33 AM
Its hard to say because of his foot but I have seen a 295 lb kid who a couple of times looked like he was shot out of a cannon . He was by his guy so fast and hurried the QB .

He gets five years right ... thats fair . JK I did'nt mean it .

painekiller
12-14-2006, 10:42 AM

Go back and look at Bruce Smith career break down by year. Mario is right on track. Get over not picking VY. Caserly and Reaves decided Carr needed a shot with better coaching, the extension was given and we where then never drafting a 1st day QB.

HOU-TEX
12-14-2006, 10:51 AM
I've been wanting to say this for a while. Thanks for saving me the time and effort.

Maddox is playing great at DT -- better than Travis Johnson ever has.

I'd have to agree. In addition Dalton has looked fairly good as well. Nice run stuffer. I've been impressed with the Dline more lately than earlier in the season.:)

nunusguy
12-14-2006, 10:56 AM
Get over not picking VY. Caserly and Reaves decided Carr needed a shot with better coaching, the extension was given and we where then never drafting a 1st day QB.
I'm over VY, but not willing to make Casserly/Reaves the only scapegoats for the the retention of Carr/pass on VY decision.
So far, Marios claim to fame is as a workout warrior, not as a productive NFL player. Kubiak has said he's foot is better, and I watched the Titans game again yesterday on my tape copy, and Mario made very little impact in that game.
If not VY, either Bush or D'Brick would have likely been a better pick than Mario, in lieu of trading down.
All I'm saying is lets just let Rick Smith pick the players this year after Kubiak inputs his priorities.

kingh99
12-14-2006, 10:59 AM

He's going to be a line anchor and disruptor. He'll never be a edge rusher. He's too tall and thick. He's got some tweener issues right here and gets locked up way too easy. He plays too tall. Guys like Freeney play dodge ball to get around the blocker. They'll tunnel on all fours, do whatever. Mario locks up and bulls.

painekiller
12-14-2006, 11:04 AM
I'm over VY, but not willing to make Casserly/Reaves the only scapegoats for the the retention of Carr/pass on VY decision.

That says to me you are not over the snub of VY, when you are looking at scapegoats. VY had to many questions coming out. Don't revise history, by saying he didn't. If it wasn't for Bud wanting to send another finger to Houston, VY would not have been the 3rd player taken. Sorry but that seems to be very close to to being fact.

BTW I had wanted to draft VY too, that Rose Bowl was beyond special and I'm un Aggie, I fought long and hard against Mario before the draft. But he is our guy, and I am more than happy to be building the defense around he and Ryans.

Sportsfan
12-14-2006, 11:12 AM
http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?p=537042

Marcus
12-14-2006, 11:28 AM
I'm impressed so far with what Smith has done getting free agents after the season began. I don't know how much having first dibs on the waiver wire has had (probably a little) on his ability to get some decent people, but like others have noted, I see a positive pattern developing regarding his ability to evaluate talent.

I'm anxious to see what he does in the offseason regarding free agents probably more than I am with the draft. Should be quite a challenge convincing good people to come here and play for the this "laughing stock".

I can't help but wonder if his ability to sign good free agents will in any way be affected regarding whether David Carr stays or goes.

And I'll say the Jaguars were flat out stupid for letting Anthony Maddox go.

And finally, if Rick Smith is as smart as we all hope, he and Kubiak will devote most of their attention on the trenches.

nunusguy
12-14-2006, 02:09 PM
I can't help but wonder if his ability to sign good free agents will in any way be affected regarding whether David Carr stays or goes.

Good question.
And I can't figure what Carr's standing in the locker room is ?
I see some of these guys talking about Carr, like AJ, and they seem genuinely
supportive of DC. AJ seems to be the last sort of person to attempt to BS anybody about anything, and probably would say nothing if he didn't suuport DC ?
I heard Chester Pitts was on 610 earlier this week, and he reportedly was supportive of Carr. My impression of Pitts has always been that he's nobody's fool.

mexican_texan
12-14-2006, 02:17 PM
He's done a great job replacing injured guys. Think he has any chance of getting NFL Executive of the Year?