PDA

View Full Version : Kubiak, Is he a controll freak?

ib4texans
12-13-2006, 05:29 PM
As a head coach is that what you see his personality as?

I was looking over some of the quotes from the game. In essence Titans HC Jeff Fisher said " Sometimes I just sit back and let him do his VY thing".

Coach Kubiak
“We don’t check very much in our scheme we feel like the things we call adjust to what’s going on. As far as him having a ton of freedom at the line of scrimmage, it doesn’t operate that way. We will check out of bad plays, but just to go out there and say, ‘Do whatever you want to do,’ we’re not at that point yet, but we’ll get there someday.

I'm not asking for a bash thread; I just want to know what's the take on his personality.

Texan_Bill
12-13-2006, 05:41 PM
I understand you are not bashing and asking a real question...

I think its more experience in dealing with the media... Jeff has been at it for 14 years as a head coach dealing with the media and answering questions and Kubes has always been behind the scenes. That could be part of it OR Jeff knows that he has VY who will make a play and Kubes doesn't want DC to make a mistake... Last it could be a combination of both things...

gtexan02
12-13-2006, 05:49 PM
Jeff Fisher is working with the most uniquely talented QB in football right now. VY doesn't have the best arm, the best accuracy, or the best running ability, but somehow he gets it done. When your working with someone like that, it makes sense to let him be him. Its theonly way to get your worth.

Remember when Mora tried to micromanage Vick? It doesn't work with athletic improvisational QBs

Carr on the other hand has no uniqueness, and even worse, he lacks desire. As such, he relies on Kubes to call his shots

real
12-13-2006, 05:53 PM
I think his comments are based on the limitations of his QB...

ib4texans
12-13-2006, 05:59 PM
O'Boy I got 1 post and then we go QB bashing. I bet he was controlling with Plummer as well.

MojoX
12-13-2006, 06:07 PM
ib4texans, I think you bolded the wrong section. What stood out to me is when Kubiak said "We will check out of bad plays, but just to go out there and say, ‘Do whatever you want to do,’ we’re not at that point yet, but we’ll get there someday." The issue isn't control as much as it is trust.

thegr8fan
12-13-2006, 06:07 PM
is he a control freak, no.

take Kubiaks comments on Demeco Ryans and how quickly he is picking up the defensive scheme's and absorbing things like a sponge and how well Kubiak likes that, for an example of non-controlling.

you don't see comments like that coming from Kubiak about Carr. Hence the need to babysit Carr's playcalling ability's on a micro managing level. How many other Offensive Co-oridinators/ Head Coach's have we seen in the past doing the same thing in an attempt to protect Carr from himself?

Every single one of them have. but of course that isn't Carr's fault either, right? :ok:

real
12-13-2006, 06:12 PM
O'Boy I got 1 post and then we go QB bashing. I bet he was controlling with Plummer as well.

we’re not at that point yet, but we’ll get there someday.

I'm not sure how that comment isn't taken as him knowing his QB has limitations in the "knowledge" area when it comes to that....

Thats not bashing Carr....A lot of QB's are limited in this manor....I was just stating what I thought to be fairly obvious...

ib4texans
12-13-2006, 06:16 PM
is he a control freak, no.

take Kubiaks comments on Demeco Ryans and how quickly he is picking up the defensive scheme's and absorbing things like a sponge and how well Kubiak likes that, for an example of non-controlling.

you don't see comments like that coming from Kubiak about Carr. Hence the need to babysit Carr's playcalling ability's on a micro managing level. How many other Offensive Co-oridinators/ Head Coach's have we seen in the past doing the same thing in an attempt to protect Carr from himself?

Every single one of them have. but of course that isn't Carr's fault either, right? :ok:

I don't think that the defense is something he wants control of.

Take a look at RB position, Dayne was doing great against the Titans. Midway through the 3rd quarter no more Dayne. We go to Lundy, he had his best play of the game and then nothing. Does Dayne come back in? No, why ? Because Kubiak is in charge and he pre determined before the game that Dayne would get a share of the carries.

I like Kubiak,he's lite years better than Capers. I just think he's got to loosen the grips a little and see what happens. At this point in the season Carr can either hurt himself or help himself.

Texan_Bill
12-13-2006, 06:22 PM
please don't blame me IB4texans... Notice how prefaced my original post...

But it is high time that you learn it will ALWAYS come back to bashing DC(whether bluntly or backhandedly) as long as he is in a Texans uni... Resign yourself to that and avoid starting any threads that could lead to it (which I know on this board is near impossible)...

Start a thread like "Was Kubiak a control freak as an OC in Denver".... Of course that would only bring out the people who want Plummerhere and naturally that would evolve into DC bashing.... so bad idea there, too...

Sorry, I guess it just wont work either...

ib4texans
I'm not sure how that comment isn't taken as him knowing his QB has limitations in the "knowledge" area when it comes to that....

Thats not bashing Carr....A lot of QB's are limited in this manor....I was just stating what I thought to be fairly obvious...

I think that it's obvious,in some points of the game we lack play calling ability that fits the situaiton. I'm willing to admit that hopefully by next year he will make the adjustments.

thegr8fan
At this point in the season Carr can either hurt himself or help himself.
lol:

at this point in the 65+ game of the Carr era I don't think Carr can help himself, I KNOW he couldn't hurt himself anyworse, but I also KNOW he could hurt the Team ALOT more if he were turned lose and given any more control than he is realistically able to handle. Which is evidently very, very, very little.

ib4texans
12-13-2006, 06:25 PM
please don't blame me IB4texans... Notice how prefaced my original post...

But it is high time that you learn it will ALWAYS come back to bashing DC(whether bluntly or backhandedly) as long as he is in a Texans uni... Resign yourself to that and avoid starting any threads that could lead to it (which I know on this board is near impossible)...

Start a thread like "Was Kubiak a control freak as an OC in Denver".... Of course that would only bring out the people who want Plummerhere and naturally that would evolve into DC bashing.... so bad idea there, too...

Sorry, I guess it just wont work either...

Don't I know it! Sometimes I'll start a thread that deals strictly with Defense,it turns out to be DC fault for not keeping them of the field.

I will say at least these guys didn't go on a rant, and I appreciate them for that.

ib4texans
12-13-2006, 06:28 PM
lol:

at this point in the 65+ game of the Carr era I don't think Carr can help himself, I KNOW he couldn't hurt himself anyworse, but I also KNOW he could hurt the Team ALOT more if he were turned lose and given any more control than he is realistically able to handle. Which is evidently very, very, very little.

I don't know last year against the Rams & Cardinals he did a fairly good job, with an offense that wasn't functioning as capably as this years.

I didn't say turn him loose, I said "loosen the grip a little bit".

tsip
12-13-2006, 07:10 PM
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but Shannahan is known as a control freak and everything Gary learned about being a HC, he learned from Mike. I think most of us felt we'd see the Denver 'influence' from Kubiak but not so much of it so quick.

From his early talks to the media and fans, Kubiak gave the impression being the Texans HC was going to be a 'walk in the park.'...wrong. It may be a 'blessing' for us that everything that can go wrong as a HC with an NFL team has for Gary-now, we can only hope he has learned from these mistakes and makes better/effective decisions in the future.

Once the 'dust' has settled, I suspect that Kubiak will give players that produce all the 'rope' they can handle. Too, I don't think Kubiak is going to be so quick to expect players to fit 'his' system, as he probably wishes he'd had a few back this year. Veteran leadership-especially those that willingly share their knowledge/experience with others-will be looked at in a 'different' light. More than ever, Kubiak knows he can't do it 'all', nor can his coaches be 'all' things to all players all the time, so a player that can help get a 'point' across or just simplify a concept, will be appreciated.

JMO, but we will probably never know the 'toll' that trying to turn Carr around has taken on Gary this year, especially failing to get Carr to the next level--but, if it's over, it needs to be over.

My regret? IMO, there was an imbalance in Carr between making decisions that would increase the likelihood of his failure(mistakes) vs his successes. For example, was there a greater reward from the coach for completing 2 of 3 passes for 9 yds instead of 1 of 3 for 50? Was it a 'catch-22' scenario for Carr in that-sure, you can make a long throw-but it better get caught by the right team.

Kubiak's answer for zero vertical passing game was a lack of confidence in Carr to succeed, yet how was Carr going to get better if he never tried...maybe its just me, but I;m missing something here...

HomeBred_Texan
12-13-2006, 07:33 PM
Personally, and this is just my opinion...

I don't think Kubiak has confidence in his team as a whole. I think he is calling the shots from the side lines and maybe allot of those calls are for the dink and dunk pass that we so dislike. But it moves the ball down the field, just not as far as we want it... But that is just me...

Honoring Earl 34
12-13-2006, 07:33 PM
There is a missing link and depending on what side of the fence your on ... be it Carr or the OL its the putty used to fill in the cracks .

I think we wait and see what happens this offseason and that will clear things up .

Texan1
12-13-2006, 07:58 PM
Kibes may be a control freak - so what? Belichick is one too, don't see anyone complaining about him.

And don't kid yourself - Jeff Fisher is a control guy too. Before you talk about how smart Fisher is - keep in mind he wanted to PASS on Vince. Bud INSISTED he take Vince. Fisher was lucky to have someone step in and save himself from the NFL combine stupidty which hosed the Texans.

Zo Mourning
12-13-2006, 08:07 PM
That is what being a coach is having control of your team and gameplan.

BobbleTexan
12-13-2006, 08:13 PM
I don't think that the defense is something he wants control of.

Take a look at RB position, Dayne was doing great against the Titans. Midway through the 3rd quarter no more Dayne. We go to Lundy, he had his best play of the game and then nothing. Does Dayne come back in? No, why ? Because Kubiak is in charge and he pre determined before the game that Dayne would get a share of the carries.

I like Kubiak,he's lite years better than Capers. I just think he's got to loosen the grips a little and see what happens. At this point in the season Carr can either hurt himself or help himself.

I believe RONNY hurt his hand at some point in the game and that is why he was not in game. Could not hold ball.....

Double Barrel
12-13-2006, 08:19 PM
I don't think Kubiak has confidence in his team as a whole.

I disagree. Kubiak has gone for it on too many fourth downs this year to say that he doesn't have confidence in the entire team.

The fact of the matter is that he called a pass on 3rd and 2 in the Bills game that would have sealed the deal and put the game away. Carr just had 22 completions in a row, so it is within reason to believe that he could make a two yard completion. And the rest, as they say, is history. Kubiak has really pulled the reigns on Carr since that play, leading to a -5 yard passing game that we won (with only 4 passing attempts in the second half...all incomplete, btw).

Honoring Earl 34
12-13-2006, 08:25 PM
I think Kubiak is doing OK for being a first time head coach .

Look at Tom Landry's , Jimmy Johnson's , and Belichics (sp) first seasons .

ib4texans
12-14-2006, 01:04 AM
Yeah, I think Kubiak's doing an Ok job. I think that he's still learning and I also believe he is a contributor to some of the inadequacies on our offense. I would like him just once to play like we're behind when we're actually leading.

VY's Crib U Jus payn Rent
12-14-2006, 09:00 AM
As a head coach is that what you see his personality as?

I was looking over some of the quotes from the game. In essence Titans HC Jeff Fisher said " Sometimes I just sit back and let him do his VY thing".

Coach Kubiak
“We don’t check very much in our scheme we feel like the things we call adjust to what’s going on. As far as him having a ton of freedom at the line of scrimmage, it doesn’t operate that way. We will check out of bad plays, but just to go out there and say, ‘Do whatever you want to do,’ we’re not at that point yet, but we’ll get there someday.

I'm not asking for a bash thread; I just want to know what's the take on his personality.

Dude is an aggie - that should sum it up - inferiority complex...