PDA

View Full Version : Would you draft Gaines Adams for the Texans?

TexanSam
12-12-2006, 11:43 PM
Let's say we have the 6th or 7th overall pick and the best player available is Gaines Adams? Would you draft him? I think I would. Mario and Adams as DEs, move Weaver to DT, and you have a very, very solid (potentially great) O-line.

LORK 88
12-12-2006, 11:59 PM
I wouldnt, I really dont feel like dropping another $30 million on DL.

YoungTexanFan
12-13-2006, 12:02 AM
I wouldnt, I really dont feel like dropping another $30 million on DL.

No. If he is really BPA which I doubt he will be, I trade down. I don't want another 1st round D-linemen yet. I'll give it to you that TJ sucks, but I'm holding judgement on Babin yet. Mario will be fine. I just hope our FO isn't foolish enough to draft another DE in the first.

threetoedpete
12-13-2006, 01:17 AM
Is the big tackle from Michigan still on the board ? Alan Branch looks like a prety fair player. I like Gains Adams a lot. But I hate to take positions back to back. Remeber, just about the only way you shake Manning up is with pressure up the middle.

painekiller
12-13-2006, 02:18 AM
Let's say we have the 6th or 7th overall pick and the best player available is Gaines Adams? Would you draft him? I think I would. Mario and Adams as DEs, move Weaver to DT, and you have a very, very solid (potentially great) O-line.

Moving Weaver to DT full time would be a mistake IMO. He is just to light in the trunk and would be overpowered in most run situations. Especially late in games.

I am fine with Branch at that pick if we go DL, and give Travis Johnson one more year to prove himself. But we have seemed to better production from the guys we got from the street than the guys who started the year at DT.

Also I have not seen Adams play but have read that he is not big on playing the run. I would rather have a huge DT that plays the run great and will provide a big push in the middle of the DL before another DE.

threetoedpete
12-13-2006, 02:34 AM
"from the guys we got from the street than the guys who started the year at DT.

Also I have not seen Adams play but have read that he is not big on playing the run. I would rather have a huge DT that plays the run great and will provide a big push in the middle of the DL before another DE.

Shhhh...some of us are still floating on DaNile with T.J.

Well I still got the Clemson -Wake forest Game Tivoed. Believe it was Wake Forest..STBC. He singal handedly literaly snatch victory from the jaws of defeat in that game. Broke through the line...Blocked the kick..took the ball away from the Wake Forest Holder..then raced 65 yards or so for the game winner. Don't know if the superman cape will translate in the NFL....But someone is going to pick that guy high. It'd be nice. But have my rathers ...rather have the big boddied DT to keep the wolves off of Demeeeco.

kastofsna
12-13-2006, 09:06 AM
championship teams build their clubs around the d-line. if adams is there and no one else is, why not? that'll be a helluva challenge for the opposing team to face week in and week out.

Texian
12-13-2006, 09:20 AM
Team's weakest link is D Secondary. I think you need to go there or OLB.

ThaShark316
12-13-2006, 09:27 AM
Well, if he's BPA and we can't trade down...then yeah...and about Weaver playing DT...i'd do that only if it meant us getting a run stopper in the middle, but I wouldn't recommend it.

OLB - Willis all the way!
CB - Hall or Hughes
OT - Thomas
OG - Blalock
RB - Peterson or Lynch

beerlover
12-13-2006, 10:46 AM
the Texans would have to take a look @ Gaines Adams he is a top 5 prospect for a reason & the Texans lack that kind of disruptive speed on the edge. But depends where the Texans pick & what can be accomplished via free agency. he would balance the end position, Texans will need to also address the interior of the line, maybe Amobi Okoye will slip to the 2nd pick (doubt it) then the Texans would have the best, youngest defensive line in the entire NFL & at least one area of the team would be solidfied :bowser:

while I don't think the Texans will have the patience (or the fans) for this kind of move or trading down & passing on one of the elite talents, ideally the best thing they could do is package a deal to trade down & pick up more picks, maybe in the process also move Carr. thinking about it I would be most happy if the Texans could draft both Laron Landry & Troy Smith then address the D & O Lines with additional/latter rd. picks :yahoo:

beerlover
12-13-2006, 11:10 AM
after giving it some thought a very realistic scenero indeed is the Texans feel that the ends in place (Babin/Peek) give them enough speed off the edge, that the most serious need on the D-Line needs to be @ the interior of the line & IF Alan Branch, DT Michigan comes out early he would be a great fit. Branch has ideal size for the position & another gifted athlete for his size ( 0606 330lbs). then make another splash with their 2nd rd. pick RB Michael Bush, Louisville (6020 248 lbs) sound familar....see a pattern :stirpot:

threetoedpete
12-13-2006, 11:18 AM
With the new Mock that's been put up...would you spend the points to move up and get Branch ? From 6/8th to forth ? Had a points thing up but it didn't get thumbtacked.

V Man
12-13-2006, 11:36 AM
Is the big tackle from Michigan still on the board ? Alan Branch looks like a prety fair player. I like Gains Adams a lot. But I hate to take positions back to back. Remeber, just about the only way you shake Manning up is with pressure up the middle.

If I am drafting a D-linemen with the 1st pick (which I don't think we will, but I have been wrong before), but Branch is who I would want. A big, athletic DT to line up next to Mario. Teams wouldn't be able to double them (would be very similiar to Peppers and Jenkins for the Panthers).

bah007
12-13-2006, 02:06 PM
Team's weakest link is D Secondary. I think you need to go there or OLB.

Helping the pass rush also helps the secondary.

YoungTexanFan
12-13-2006, 06:24 PM
Helping the pass rush also helps the secondary.

And we've bennifited so much this year.

TexansSeminole
12-13-2006, 06:29 PM
Depends on who else is on the board...even if Gaines is the BPA.

It would be a nice tandem though, Gaines and Mario.

painekiller
12-13-2006, 06:41 PM
And we've bennifited so much this year.

Come on now, Mario has been hurt and was a very slow starter. He was overwhelmed the first 4 weeks. Once they put him in one place and gave him a script, he has been OK. If the danged foot and a lot of double teams had not slowed him down. Put a huge body athletic type next to Mario and watch QBs and O linemen become happy footed ferrets. Mario would move to double digit sacks and the interior will become a place teams avoid.

I agree if we get lucky we get Amobi Okoye in the second, and that is a very young DL. Weaver becomes the old man at 27 next year start of the season. Would it be to much to think they take both Branch and Okoye? Now that would be a DL. Weaver Okoye Branch Williams. The rest of the defense would still suck other than Ryans and Robinson, but the DL would be special.

beerlover
12-13-2006, 09:21 PM
Come on now, Mario has been hurt and was a very slow starter. He was overwhelmed the first 4 weeks. Once they put him in one place and gave him a script, he has been OK. If the danged foot and a lot of double teams had not slowed him down. Put a huge body athletic type next to Mario and watch QBs and O linemen become happy footed ferrets. Mario would move to double digit sacks and the interior will become a place teams avoid.

I agree if we get lucky we get Amobi Okoye in the second, and that is a very young DL. Weaver becomes the old man at 27 next year start of the season. Would it be to much to think they take both Branch and Okoye? Now that would be a DL. Weaver Okoye Branch Williams. The rest of the defense would still suck other than Ryans and Robinson, but the DL would be special.

I like the way you think, if only it could happen that way :)

beerlover
12-13-2006, 09:29 PM
one more thing about this draft. you have to look @ its strength, which always depends on the underclassman opting to turn pro & if Branch declares DT's would be above average. last year was QB's, LB's & DE's, of which the Texans got a couple in Mario & DeMeco. its dangerous to force needs into the equation when the ends don't justify the means, you have to tackle the situation :shades:

beerlover
12-13-2006, 11:00 PM
which would be greater-

Mario/Travis/Weaver/Gaines or Mario/Branch/Weaver/Peek

the side by side combo of Mario/Branch would create match-up problems, Weaver is solid & a platoon of Babin & Peek would be dangerous. Travis is a rotational tackle, average at best but when healthy solid enough I guess.

Branch is a monster like Henderson & Stroud in Jacksonville you can build a defense around them, Mario & Branch would offer a similar scenero & possibly greater upside.

mexican_texan
12-13-2006, 11:03 PM
Even under great pressure, QBs have burned us. OLB or DB before drafting a D-lineman.

threetoedpete
12-14-2006, 03:00 AM
So you're telling us if Brach falls into our laps, all 6'5", 325 pounds of him and they don't like All Day (which is what I believe will happen with his injury history), you're going to pass up a Stroud/ Haynesworth/Wiiliams prosepect to keep people off of Demeeeco because...... ? I mean I'd love to have the OLT but I see the logic in this stadegy. Lot easier to defend third and long than it is to defend third and 2. Just saying.

painekiller
12-14-2006, 03:38 AM
This year was only his second season and his first as a starter. I saw improvement and if continues to improve, next season he could become an impact player. With all that said, I believe the Texans still need another DT and if Branch is available and a top rated OT is not then I think he would make a great addition to the D-Line.

I see the problem with TJ as he plays only average at best. I have not seen any drop off with the street FA that have come in to replace him, in fact the guys playing currently seem to be getting better penatration then TJ/Payne did. ( that is just my peception, may not be true). I expect a 1st round player to be a disruptive force, and TJ has not been that for us yet.

I agree he deserves to play out his rookie contract, and I am not suggesting cutting him.

threetoedpete
12-14-2006, 03:46 AM
You're seeing what I'm seeing. I was so mad at the Derick Johnson incident I've put the bridle on myself. TBS, I'm waiting for my fellow posters to quit swimming in Da Nile. We'll see. My thought is & my hunch was then at the time we drafted him, TJ was a product of the production of those around him in college. All we are seeing is a fruition of that theory. I don't mind the guy on the roster. I mind the guy on the roster and getting over paid for his production level. But again, I come into the arguement stained.

mexican_texan
12-14-2006, 11:38 AM
Derrick Johnson looks pretty good in KC. As do many more guys drafted over TJ...but I'll stick with TJ. He did a lot this year to not only get out of Kubiak's doghouse, but to save his roster spot and to earn a starting spot.

YoungTexanFan
12-14-2006, 11:45 AM
Derrick Johnson looks pretty good in KC. As do many more guys drafted over TJ...but I'll stick with TJ. He did a lot this year to not only get out of Kubiak's doghouse, but to save his roster spot and to earn a starting spot.

TJ lost 10 pounds because he was overweight. His poor play hasn't done anything to keep him on the field except out of need. He was handed the starting job after injuries. Even when he did start, he didn't play all that much like we expect a #16 overall to play.

mexican_texan
12-14-2006, 11:48 AM
He was great in preseason though :stirpot:

beerlover
12-14-2006, 12:24 PM
Even under great pressure, QBs have burned us. OLB or DB before drafting a D-lineman.

name a DB or OLB worth a Top 5 pick? in 2005 db's Pac-Man Jones selected #6, due largely to his return skills, then you have Antrel Rolle #8 to zona, Carlos Rogers #9 to Washington. with a stronger class of DE's that projected to OLB's DeMarcus Ware & Shawne Merriman #11 & #12 respectively. last year Oakland was the first to grab a db @ #7 in Michael Huff but passed on Matt Leinart- how's that working for them now? (even though I really liked Huff, no way should they have passed on Matt)

AJ Hawk was worth a top 5 pick (#5) @ the WILL position & Sean Taylor (#5) SS both premium talents but more the exceptions to the rule as I mentioned earlier.

while I understand your frustration with going Defensive Line 1st three years in a row there is not a db or LB period that would rate higher in the 2007 draft than DT Alan Branch (if he comes out) and its just as critical of need as any on the Texans. Mario needs help upfront in the interior next to him creating mis-matches to isolate & breakdown protection packages.

Just because Casserly/Cappers thought enough of Travis Johnson ( Brodrick Bunkley selected #14 by Philly also a FSU alum considered a better pro prospect) was projected as a 3rd rd. pick, personel issues aside 2nd rd. maybe but not warranting a 1st rd. selection it was based solely on need. Just because the previous regime made that pick does not mean the position does'nt still need upgraded, because it does. At this point I would happy if he can just stay healthy enough to help contribute to the team & give the starters a rest a few plays in a game.

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/28/281295.jpg

BigBull17
12-14-2006, 12:36 PM
No, we need too many secondary players to take a dlineman in the 1st. With how poorly they tackle and cover none of them should be safe.

mexican_texan
12-14-2006, 01:05 PM
Don't get me wrong, I like Branch, but DB is a DIRE need. I'd rather trade down.

beerlover
12-14-2006, 01:25 PM
Don't get me wrong, I like Branch, but DB is a DIRE need. I'd rather trade down.

maybe the Texans can target Nate Clements who by the way was the 1st CB taken in 2001, 21st overall selection from the Buffalo Bills :)

my point is the Texans need to take the BPA, trading down is completely random @ this point. if we can focus on that 1st pick it will be key this time to rationalizing their strategy. imagine Mario & Branch I'm sure the Titans, Jaguars & Colts would'nt like that thought either :yikes:

all this being said if declares its probably mute as I would expect Tampa Bay to make him their #1 pick :secret:

mexican_texan
12-14-2006, 01:39 PM
Whoops...forgot about Tampa. They're definitely taking Branch. With the condition of their D-line...they're going to need help.

Bubbajwp
12-14-2006, 09:11 PM
Imagine this Dline

Draft Branch
Sign FA T Sands

A Weaver 6'3 280
T Sands 6'7 335
A Branch 6'5 325
M Williams 6'6 291

Thats one thousand two hundred thirty one pounds

:bowser: :bowser: :bowser: :bowser:

307 pound average wonder how that would compare to the rest of the league.

mexican_texan
12-15-2006, 12:09 AM
TURDel Sands. Not the way it spells, but conveys the message well. I don't know the guy, but I've heard that he's kind of a cancer.

kastofsna
12-15-2006, 08:58 AM
Whoops...forgot about Tampa. They're definitely taking Branch. With the condition of their D-line...they're going to need help.
branch doesn't fit at all in that defense.

mexican_texan
12-15-2006, 11:25 AM
How so?

kastofsna
12-15-2006, 11:33 AM
he projects more as a 3-4 DE. he's just too big for the interior of the bucs' line. adams would be perfect though, opposite of dewayne white.

threetoedpete
12-15-2006, 02:02 PM
maybe the Texans can target Nate Clements who by the way was the 1st CB taken in 2001, 21st overall selection from the Buffalo Bills :)

my point is the Texans need to take the BPA, trading down is completely random @ this point. if we can focus on that 1st pick it will be key this time to rationalizing their strategy. imagine Mario & Branch I'm sure the Titans, Jaguars & Colts would'nt like that thought either :yikes:

all this being said if declares its probably mute as I would expect Tampa Bay to make him their #1 pick :secret:

I'm with ya beer lover. But this is my last post on the matter. I think we've hit the man love wall again. I'm not going to fight for for months. I can see the logic in this. If they want Leron or one of the corners or the raw QB I hope they have the good sense to move back if they can find a partner. I don't dislike guys out of hand. Just hate seeing us over pay for people. Sure fire reciepe for disaster, that's all I know.