PDA

View Full Version : Pitts Interview On 610

Runner
12-12-2006, 06:16 PM
I heard the first part of Chester's interview today. They talked about a number of things.

1) He said that if they had to lose the Titans game he could have thought of a thousand better ways than the way it happened given all the hype.

2) They talked about overtime and if both teams should get a chance at the ball before it turns into sudden death. He said something to the effect that if the Texans had won the toss maybe they would have kicked the field goal and won on the first possession. Minor point here - how about scoring a touchdown to win?

3) They talked about injuries. He made the point that the Texans have had lots of different line combinations, but injuries can't be an excuse in this league.

4) They asked him about Hodgdon and how many of the line calls he makes. Chester said that Drew makes every one, that's his job as center. I thought this was interesting because of the bad rap Hodgdon had gotten from the previous staff. That's probably why the question was asked.

5) They asked him about light, athletic offensive lineman and he said light and mobile is fine, but you better be big enough to stop the defensive lineman from running right over you. I thought this was a key point given some of the training camp experiences.

6) They asked about his "Cal Ripken" streak of playing every snap being broken. He said that he took a lot of pride in that streak. He said that sometimes if he'd twist something or be woozy from getting hit in the back of the head the streak would keep him on the field. This confirmed things I've heard about the streak and guard rotation.

That's about it.

Kaiser Toro
12-12-2006, 06:35 PM
Good stuff, thanks for sharing.

Runner
12-12-2006, 06:38 PM
Good stuff, thanks for sharing.

Thanks for responding - I thought this post was going to slide right off the front page.

Honoring Earl 34
12-12-2006, 08:17 PM
I heard him talking about Winston playing a good game Sunday .

Kaiser Toro
12-12-2006, 08:25 PM
I just got done watching the NFL shortcut of the game and he looked pretty good all game, real active feet and displayed some strength. Pitts also looked real good on two pulls.

In fact we all seem to forget it was a pretty darn good football game and our guys played hard. Made a couple of bonehead plays and did not connect on a couple of opportunities, but we did play pretty well. We are closer than we all imply with our hot air and passion in our posts. :texflag:

Honoring Earl 34
12-12-2006, 08:52 PM
I'm with you KT . I think that there's four games that we could have won .
I'd be giddy right now at 8-5 ... I don't believe thats to far fetched .

Kaiser Toro
12-12-2006, 09:10 PM
I agree.

And would that memo you speak of next to your Avatar, would that be the one about how everyone expects the impossible of him and hates him because he isn't Vince Young?

I cannot speak for others, but it is purely based on 5 years of results and watching every single game as a fan. Vince is fun to watch, but he is the enemy when playing against the Texans and I did not want to replace DC for another #1 QB last year. There would not be many complaining here if he were getting paid 3 million a year, speaking purely about cap ramifications here.

Mr. White
12-12-2006, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the summary, Runner. I always thought that Chester semed like a really good guy.

He used to have a weekly show in Austin on the ESPN affiliate. It seemed like it was all we ever got about the Texans in town.

I hope we're able to keep Chester around.

Second Honeymoon
12-12-2006, 09:25 PM
It's nice to hear that some players are taking some pride in something around here. pride seems to be in short supply.

Runner
12-12-2006, 09:36 PM
6) They asked about his "Cal Ripken" streak of playing every snap being broken. He said that he took a lot of pride in that streak. He said that sometimes if he'd twist something or be woozy from getting hit in the back of the head the streak would keep him on the field. This confirmed things I've heard about the streak and guard rotation.

It's nice to hear that some players are taking some pride in something around here. pride seems to be in short supply.

Short supply indeed. Kubiak sat Pitts for a series early in the season, so there is no streak for him to feel pride in any more. They were talking about the streak post mortem. RIP.

TEXANS84
12-12-2006, 10:58 PM
I nominate Chester for at least a segment on a radio show or TV show once a week.

I never knew how well spoken he was, and actually how great of a personality he has. I've got added respect for the man.

texasguy346
12-13-2006, 04:21 AM
Winston did play pretty well. As did Hogdon. He's much more mobile than Flannagan. I just re-watched the game on DVR, and as KT mentioned we played a pretty good game overall short of a few boneheaded plays. A few things I wanted to touch on while its still fresh in my mind.

When the Titans went ahead for the go ahead score I didn't see Mario on the field at all. Not even in the goal line sets. I find that very unusual. I'm thinking it must've had something to do with his foot injury because they usually rotate the defensive linemen quite a bit.

Another thing that bugged me was on the drive where we made the FG to tie the game up. Carr made a 4 or 5 yard pass to AJ. He tried to fight to get the first down, but came up about 2 yards short or so before being pushed back by several Titans. I was expecting to see a few Texans run up to AJ & try to give him an extra push, but it didn't happen. Now the refs might have very well blown the play dead if it were to happen & give him his forward progress, but it still seemed to me like the Texans mindset was to go for the FG to tie. It was almost as if the thought of scoring a TD to win the game didn't enter their minds at all. It just bugs me.

Lastly, and I know it's dumb but that "incompletion" by VY on the Titans final drive of regulation looked a hell of a lot like a fumble to me. I was sitting in the endzone at the game, and I thought for sure it was a fumble but I gave the refs the benefit of the doubt since I was at a bad angle. After rewatching it several times it looks like the ball was knocked out of his hand by Weaver before his arm went forward. It wasn't even challeneged or reviewed at all. If it had been ruled a fumble the Texans would've been in a great position to kick a FG to win in regulation (we darn sure know they wouldn't have thought of going for the endzone).

End Transmission

brewhaus
12-13-2006, 04:33 AM
I never knew how well spoken he was, and actually how great of a personality he has. I've got added respect for the man.

Chester was "quite the Brainiac" at San Diego State.

http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=31029

Kaiser Toro
12-13-2006, 06:32 AM
Winston did play pretty well. As did Hogdon. He's much more mobile than Flannagan. I just re-watched the game on DVR, and as KT mentioned we played a pretty good game overall short of a few boneheaded plays. A few things I wanted to touch on while its still fresh in my mind.

When the Titans went ahead for the go ahead score I didn't see Mario on the field at all. Not even in the goal line sets. I find that very unusual. I'm thinking it must've had something to do with his foot injury because they usually rotate the defensive linemen quite a bit.

Another thing that bugged me was on the drive where we made the FG to tie the game up. Carr made a 4 or 5 yard pass to AJ. He tried to fight to get the first down, but came up about 2 yards short or so before being pushed back by several Titans. I was expecting to see a few Texans run up to AJ & try to give him an extra push, but it didn't happen. Now the refs might have very well blown the play dead if it were to happen & give him his forward progress, but it still seemed to me like the Texans mindset was to go for the FG to tie. It was almost as if the thought of scoring a TD to win the game didn't enter their minds at all. It just bugs me.

Lastly, and I know it's dumb but that "incompletion" by VY on the Titans final drive of regulation looked a hell of a lot like a fumble to me. I was sitting in the endzone at the game, and I thought for sure it was a fumble but I gave the refs the benefit of the doubt since I was at a bad angle. After rewatching it several times it looks like the ball was knocked out of his hand by Weaver before his arm went forward. It wasn't even challeneged or reviewed at all. If it had been ruled a fumble the Texans would've been in a great position to kick a FG to win in regulation (we darn sure know they wouldn't have thought of going for the endzone).

End Transmission

I watched it a third time just to watch Hodgdon and I agree he played well. Other than getting blown up on one play, which Carr bailed him out with a scissor kick and then made a nice pass to Daniels for another Houston Texans first down, he had active feet, got to the second line and blocked with a purpose on the goal line. These next three games will be huge for him.

eric138
12-13-2006, 06:43 AM
I'm sure you didn't want this to turn into a David Carr thread but you forgot to mention that he DID discuss Carr and how he is getting all the grief when it is the O-lines fault.

thunderkyss
12-13-2006, 07:00 AM

I was up in the stands watching..... Mario & Weaver both wanted to get on the field. Just about every other series(when we held them punks to field goals) Kubiak was swapping linemen between every play. I figured he was going to get Weaver & Mario in there once they crossed the 50....... but he didn't. I don't know what he was thinking, but to me, it looked like he allowed the Titans to score.......

Runner
12-13-2006, 07:43 AM
I watched it a third time just to watch Hodgdon and I agree he played well. Other than getting blown up on one play, which Carr bailed him out with a scissor kick and then made a nice pass to Daniels for another Houston Texans first down, he had active feet, got to the second line and blocked with a purpose on the goal line. These next three games will be huge for him.

These are a big three games for Hodgdon. He could earn a depth chart promotion - starter - going into camp if he plays well.

I'm sure you didn't want this to turn into a David Carr thread but you forgot to mention that he DID discuss Carr and how he is getting all the grief when it is the O-lines fault.

I only heard the first segment. I thankfully got out of the Carr before they did the "Salaam and Turley discovered Chester" rehash. Any more detail about Chester pointing out that the o-line deserves some blame, or was that about it?

I did negelect to offer my editorial that Chester is a good interview, as has been mentioned by other posters.

nunusguy
12-13-2006, 07:49 AM

I taped the game, but haven't got around to watching it again this week. But
I'm glad to hear Drew appeared to play a well. Against the 4-3, he is at his best as he is quick across from the gap between the tackles and excels at getting to the second level and going against a backer.
But next week will be a different story as he will probably go head up
much of the time against nose tackle Vince Wolfork in NEs 3-4. If quickness and hustle are Drew's positives, his negatives would be that he is undersized and lacking the bulk & strength to matchup favorable against a big and quick 2-gapper like Wolfork. Given the matchup, this game may be very challenging for Drew.

eric138
12-13-2006, 07:59 AM
it was a great interview. He was asked if Carr should be taking all the heat and if he should be booed out of town and Chester's reply was that Carr is a really good QB and that he thinks no one should put blame on Carr for what has happened and until the O-line can hold up a good pocket and Carr can get them 5 and 7 steps and actually have a good solid pocket with time to generate a play he should not be held accountable for bad plays. He also said something about how even though the Oline is having issues Carr has still been able to at least make something out of nothing and that he feels once the Oline comes together better he will be a great QB.

Texans_Chick
12-13-2006, 08:01 AM

End Transmission

The thing that bothered me about that was that it was within 2:00 minutes of the end of the half, so the refs have to decide to review that. They chose not to, even though they had a lot of time to make that decision because of the injured player on the field.

But then when the Titan's punt, they review whether a Titan touched the ball on the 7?

What's up with that?

eriadoc
12-13-2006, 10:08 AM
it was a great interview. He was asked if Carr should be taking all the heat and if he should be booed out of town and Chester's reply was that Carr is a really good QB and that he thinks no one should put blame on Carr for what has happened and until the O-line can hold up a good pocket and Carr can get them 5 and 7 steps and actually have a good solid pocket with time to generate a play he should not be held accountable for bad plays. He also said something about how even though the Oline is having issues Carr has still been able to at least make something out of nothing and that he feels once the Oline comes together better he will be a great QB.

Chester obviously knows nothing about QBs or offensive line play, then. :stirpot:

underdog65
12-13-2006, 11:16 AM
:stirpot: It appears that Chester must not be listening to all the experts on the MB. The MB has blamed Carr for everything and yet the O-line admits that David is doing alot with very little assistance from them.

brewhaus
12-13-2006, 11:56 AM
The thing that bothered me about that was that it was within 2:00 minutes of the end of the half, so the refs have to decide to review that. They chose not to, even though they had a lot of time to make that decision because of the injured player on the field.

But then when the Titan's punt, they review whether a Titan touched the ball on the 7?

What's up with that?

...the Titans weren't the only opponents we had on the field. That situation was a topic on the message board at that time also. It seemed as if the Texans had the "cards stacked against them".

real
12-13-2006, 12:01 PM
Chester obviously knows nothing about QBs or offensive line play, then. :stirpot:

:stirpot: It appears that Chester must not be listening to all the experts on the MB. The MB has blamed Carr for everything and yet the O-line admits that David is doing alot with very little assistance from them.

Honestly what do you expect him to say ?

"Yeah, That David has gotta improve":pigfly:

eriadoc
12-13-2006, 12:28 PM
Honestly what do you expect him to say ?

"Yeah, That David has gotta improve":pigfly:

No, but he'd probably give some evasive, coachspeak-type answer like "We all have to work to do to improve" or "David's working hard, we just have to find ways to make plays" or some other trite answer.

eriadoc
12-13-2006, 12:29 PM
Did you listen to the Eric Moulds show? You could tell he was not happy with Carr because he avoided the Carr questions. Moulds will be the first to call out Carr.

Precisely. If a player doesn't want to throw another player under the bus, but they really believe that player's not pulling his weight, they will typically avoid questions or give evasive answers. They won't come out and say "Such and such is a good player".

real
12-13-2006, 12:31 PM
Precisely. If a player doesn't want to throw another player under the bus, but they really believe that player's not pulling his weight, they will typically avoid questions or give evasive answers. They won't come out and say "Such and such is a good player".

I'm not sure what you're saying?

Eric Moulds is wrong, and Chester Pitts is right ?

Runner
12-13-2006, 12:34 PM

alot (sic) seems a bit of an overstatment for something out of nothing

eriadoc
12-13-2006, 12:38 PM

I'm saying that Chester really does believe Carr is a good QB behind a poor line (if what he said was accurately reported above), whereas Moulds probably doesn't have such a high opinion of Carr, judging by his lack of response. Moreover, I was simply refuting your assertion that Pitts was just saying what he said in lieu of throwing Carr under the bus. If Pitts really thought ill of Carr, he would likely be evasive in his responses, much like Moulds.

As for who is right .... well, there's only one right opinion, and that's management's ;)

eric138
12-13-2006, 12:40 PM
they are both right. Eric is too busy running around the field so he is just seeing David not tossing the ball to him or he is seeing these quick routes setup to get the ball delvered successfully. So Eric rreally can't say much about Carr except he can throw the ball, which we all know he can.

Pitts on the other hand is part of the faulty line so he knows exactly whats going on. And I don't think I've ever heard a player protect another player by saying no his good it is all my fault. that is just crazy unless it is partly true of course.

Was Eric asked about AJ dropping balls? I bet that was a, next question please.

Vinny
12-13-2006, 12:40 PM
Chester doesn't have the personality to throw anyone under any bus...imo. He has a very gentlemanly demeanor

real
12-13-2006, 12:41 PM
I'm saying that Chester really does believe Carr is a good QB behind a poor line (if what he said was accurately reported above), whereas Moulds probably doesn't have such a high opinion of Carr, judging by his lack of response. Moreover, I was simply refuting your assertion that Pitts was just saying what he said in lieu of throwing Carr under the bus. If Pitts really thought ill of Carr, he would likely be evasive in his responses, much like Moulds.

I'm not really sure what Pitts thinks about Carr, and I was just pointing out that his statements don't really mean much either way....

I'm pretty sure most O-lineman would say the same thing when asked about their QB....it's just something in their personality to take the blame...As an O-lineman you're coached that as you go, the offense goes....And The only other position that that's probably preached to is QB, but I've yet to hear David say anything like this....

OzzO
12-13-2006, 12:41 PM

Maybe it's the Moulds will be the type to be more blunt while Pitts (and quite a few of the Texans) will put it more on themselves saying "I've got to do better" which just shows how Kubiak is getting into the player's heads telling them all that they have to step up.

Just like the m. board, I'm sure the players have their opinion, but that would really jack with the team effort and unity if someone dropped a tag on another teammate. Kubiak would go off on them and the media would have a field day if that got out.

real
12-13-2006, 12:44 PM
they are both right. Eric is too busy running around the field so he is just seeing David not tossing the ball to him or he is seeing these quick routes setup to get the ball delvered successfully. So Eric rreally can't say much about Carr except he can throw the ball, which we all know he can.

And since he can't go back and watch film....:snobord:

Vinny
12-13-2006, 12:49 PM
And since he can't go back and watch film....:snobord:yep, Kubiak said point blank that we were missing plays that were open downfield

real
12-13-2006, 12:52 PM
yep, Kubiak said point blank that we were missing plays that were open downfield

I know.

And it's like people fail to acknowledge the fact that the head coach has publicly said Carr has to do better...

Honoring Earl 34
12-13-2006, 01:17 PM
The question to Chester would be ... are you part of the problem or part of the cure ? Three guys Carr , Pitts ,and McKinney have been here the whole time . I do not count Weary because he did'nt see the field much .

Pitts and McKinney make up 40% of this bad OL . I think at some point maybe we should just let all three go .

Runner
12-13-2006, 01:27 PM
Wiegert made 60% while he was playing.

Wolf
12-13-2006, 08:01 PM
I know.

And it's like people fail to acknowledge the fact that the head coach has publicly said Carr has to do better...

of course he and others have to do better, we have only won 4 games:shades: