PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Teammate Will Donate Kidney to Ailing Ron Springs

Kaiser Toro
12-12-2006, 05:46 PM
A nice feel good story that captures the family element of sports.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/11/AR2006121101213.html

snippet:
Washington Redskins cornerback Shawn Springs said yesterday that his ailing father, Ron, has found a match for a kidney transplant, and it happens to be an old friend.

Everson Walls, the former Dallas Cowboys cornerback who was Ron Springs's teammate with the Cowboys from 1981 to '84, agreed to donate a kidney, and surgery could take place, according to Shawn Springs, "any day now."

ThaShark316
12-12-2006, 05:48 PM
Yeah that's a great story...but of course, it's back page news cuz no one wants to hear great stories.

Shawn was going to give up his career, why? cuz he'd do anything for his father...big ups to Shawn and God be with Ron and Everson, along with Shawn.

Mr. White
12-12-2006, 06:35 PM
Everson Walls was always one of my favorite Cowboys even though he was infamous for giving up "the Catch."

He helped the Giants win the Super Bowl in '91 and redeemed himself.

4Texans
12-13-2006, 12:06 PM
Great story! Ron wouldn't even let his kids be tested to see if they would be a good match for him.

nunusguy
12-13-2006, 01:56 PM
Wow ! I vaguely remember Everson Walls right now, but after this news I will have a more definite and focused recollection of him.
We see a lot of stuff about selfish, immature, and stupid behavior by too many NFL guys, and then somebody like this really classy human being comes along with a sacrifice of this magnitude and you remember there has been some real winners in every sense of the term pass thru this league.
I salute you Everson Walls, you are the man !

infantrycak
12-13-2006, 02:04 PM
My mom taught at Berkner HS. Used to go watch Walls play HS ball. Nice guy.