PDA

View Full Version : How many timeouts?

the wonger need food
12-11-2006, 02:03 PM
How many timeouts did we have when we got the ball back at the end of regulation? Carr is quoted in the paper as saying that we didn't have any, but didn't we have at least one?

donbmt
12-11-2006, 02:08 PM
The Texans had no timeouts, for some reason they had to call a timeout with 2:14 left instead of waiting for the 2:00 warning, then a player got hurt with under two minutes and they were charged their last timeout, which is a ridiculous rule.

jerek
12-11-2006, 02:11 PM
Carr shouldn't need timeouts to drive the ball 50+ yards in 53 seconds. :rolleyes: Make that the full 93 ... because everyone here knows Kris Brown would have missed a game-winning gimme after making them from 49 and 46.

real
12-11-2006, 02:14 PM
Carr shouldn't need timeouts to drive the ball 50+ yards in 53 seconds.

You don't need timeouts to try....or want to...

Speedy
12-11-2006, 02:15 PM
The Texans had no timeouts, for some reason they had to call a timeout with 2:14 left instead of waiting for the 2:00 warning, then a player got hurt with under two minutes and they were charged their last timeout, which is a ridiculous rule.

What's a RIDICULOUS rule is hustling downfield on a kickoff where Tennessee just lets the ball bounce around, and you getting to it but it goes out of bounds, and you get penalized for it like it was kicked out. Some of the rules of this game just don't make a lot of sense.

Not that it probably would have made much difference, but that extra 15 yards or whatever the difference was, could have.

gwallaia
12-11-2006, 02:19 PM
The injury timeout under 2 minutes is a good idea. It was created because so many players were faking injuries when they had no timeouts to stop the clock.

I'm not sure what happens when a player really is injured under two minutes and the team has no timeouts.

jerek
12-11-2006, 02:21 PM
What's a RIDICULOUS rule is hustling downfield on a kickoff where Tennessee just lets the ball bounce around, and you getting to it but it goes out of bounds, and you get penalized for it like it was kicked out. Some of the rules of this game just don't make a lot of sense.

Not that it probably would have made much difference, but that extra 15 yards or whatever the difference was, could have.

I agree. I thought we had just sealed the game. I wasn't familiar with that stipulation and I thought it was garbage. Props to Anderson for hustling it down even though he came up short.

The injury timeout under 2 minutes is a good idea. It was created because so many players were faking injuries when they had no timeouts to stop the clock.

I'm not sure what happens when a player really is injured under two minutes and the team has no timeouts.

I agree. That application is obvious. When I played college basketball, there was one team in the conference that was famous for fake injuries as stall tactics. Annoying as hell and you have to address it regardless of their intentions.

run-david-run
12-11-2006, 02:26 PM
I couldnt believe people were booing for us running the clock down. We are at our own 7 with a crappy O-line and no time-outs. With the amount of times fumbles have cost us, I thought playing for OT was pretty logical.

kenneth24
12-11-2006, 02:27 PM

I believe if the team is not leading in the game they run 10 seconds off the clock.

the wonger need food
12-11-2006, 02:33 PM
I couldnt believe people were booing for us running the clock down. We are at our own 7 with a crappy O-line and no time-outs. With the amount of times fumbles have cost us, I thought playing for OT was pretty logical.

You're 4-8. You have a short-handed and exhausted defense. Chances are 50-50 that you win the toss and if you do your only chance to score is if Mathis can return one into your opponent's territory. Why is it so impossible to fathom moving the ball 60 yards in :53 seconds?

Oh wait.... Davie Carr is your QB. That does make sense.

utahmark
12-11-2006, 02:42 PM
You're 4-8. You have a short-handed and exhausted defense. Chances are 50-50 that you win the toss and if you do your only chance to score is if Mathis can return one into your opponent's territory. Why is it so impossible to fathom moving the ball 60 yards in :53 seconds?

Oh wait.... Davie Carr is your QB. That does make sense.

you think we have a chance to move the ball 60 yards in 53 sec with no time outs. but we have no chance of getting in fg range in ot even if we win the toss with plenty of time and better field position. your logic confuses me.

the wonger need food
12-11-2006, 02:44 PM
you think we have a chance to move the ball 60 yards in 53 sec with no time outs. but we have no chance of getting in fg range in ot even if we win the toss with plenty of time and better field position. your logic confuses me.

My point is... man up and go for it when they opportunity is there. Don't be a coward. How many times have we seen teams drive the field on us with seconds remaining. The only difference is that they other teams usually have a competent QB.

2ToneBlue
12-11-2006, 02:50 PM
The Texans were on the 7yd line... Why take a shot down field when you take the flip? I think it was the right decision even looking back, because if he had by some chance thrown an INT, or fumbled a snap with under a minute in the last quarter then we kicked the game winner the result would have been much worse (not scoring wise, but mentally).

utahmark
12-11-2006, 02:53 PM
My point is... man up and go for it when they opportunity is there. Don't be a coward. How many times have we seen teams drive the field on us with seconds remaining. The only difference is that they other teams usually have a competent QB.

well i agree carr should of wanted to go for it. but from a coaches standpoint a lot of coaches would of played that the same way. especially with our o-line.

the wonger need food
12-11-2006, 02:57 PM
You're 4-12 and trying to figure out who is going to step up in big situations. You are trying to evaluate your QB in particular to see where he is in his development. Is there any bigger test? Teams drive the ball on us with seconds left and no timeouts almost every game.

thunderkyss
12-11-2006, 03:00 PM
The Texans had no timeouts, for some reason they had to call a timeout with 2:14 left instead of waiting for the 2:00 warning,

Until Kubiak lets David audible, I think he should burn up all the timeouts... it sucks, and ruins our chances for making a drive at the end of the game, but if David can show he understands what is going on, then hopefully he'll keep us in the game.

Kubiak will understand, that David understands, then he'll say, "Okay, when you see this, check to this, or check to that..... or don't worry about him, if you call his number, we got him"..... sooner or later, it will lead to Carr being able to call audibles, and he can start controlling our offense, and we can start winning some games.

Runner
12-11-2006, 03:13 PM

Recovering the kick would have. The guy that tried to jump on the ball (Anderson?) was moving when he got there. A great effort.

Honoring Earl 34
12-11-2006, 03:30 PM
Until Kubiak lets David audible, I think he should burn up all the timeouts... it sucks, and ruins our chances for making a drive at the end of the game, but if David can show he understands what is going on, then hopefully he'll keep us in the game.

Kubiak will understand, that David understands, then he'll say, "Okay, when you see this, check to this, or check to that..... or don't worry about him, if you call his number, we got him"..... sooner or later, it will lead to Carr being able to call audibles, and he can start controlling our offense, and we can start winning some games.

This made me think of Kung Fu ... David when you snatch the pebble you can control the offense ... yes Master . David its been five years ... you really need to SNATCH THE DAMN PEBBLE ... GEEZ ARE YOU THAT DENSE IT"S A FREAKIN PEBBLE .

thunderkyss
12-11-2006, 03:37 PM
This made me think of Kung Fu ... David when you snatch the pebble you can control the offense ... yes Master . David its been five years ... you really need to SNATCH THE DAMN PEBBLE ... GEEZ ARE YOU THAT DENSE IT"S A FREAKIN PEBBLE .

Ok........ well maybe snatching the pebble is expecting too much from you right now grashopper....

How 'bout you just touch the pebble. If you can touch the pebble, then you can control this offense....

just touch the pebble Dave....

Touch the pebble...

TPIMP
12-11-2006, 05:50 PM
The Texans had no timeouts, 53 seconds and the ball on thier own 7 yard line. If you don't understand why the smart play is to kneel on the ball go ask Elli Manning who threw a pick to lose the game two weeks ago against the Titans. I was much more in favor of letting our defense attempt to win the game than our offense. That's an indictment of the whole offense not just the QB. Unfortunatly the defense did not come through.

johnboy
12-11-2006, 07:20 PM

its rediculous to have your kicker down the field first where were the other guyson that play.

Wolf
12-11-2006, 07:31 PM
too many people play madden

93 yards to go on a tie game at home, no timeouts, Tennessee is going to play 8 defensive backs, and you are going to try to go 60 yards :ok:

yes, I'd like to have seen us try to go for it, but sometimes you gotta play smart, the game didn't work out. I mean if we started at our 30 yard line or something maybe we go for it, but pinned back, who knows what happens, sack? , holding in the endzone(safety) turnover and then what? say we dont' complete 3 passes and then wait for one of Stanley's booming 34 yard punt with time left?

if the field position was a little better, I would have liked us to go for it(I believe the Titans still had a TO left but can't verify), but pinned back I don't see it.

but doesnt' matter people would complain either way.

dtran04
12-11-2006, 08:45 PM
Personally, I would have spread it out and let a running back touch it a couple times. Who knows, maybe Dayne or Lundy could have broken one off. Throwing it would have been stupid. IF Carr were to have been sacked or throw an INT, EVERYONE would be calling for Kubiak's head for being stupid.

cuppacoffee
12-11-2006, 09:25 PM
You're 4-12 and trying to figure out who is going to step up in big situations. You are trying to evaluate your QB in particular to see where he is in his development. Is there any bigger test? Teams drive the ball on us with seconds left and no timeouts almost every game.

Wonger and I are on opposite sides of the issue concerning Carr.

But I do agree with his idea of using this and the rest of the games as a learning tool, for the coaches and the players. What's to lose?

I made a post much earlier in the year that Kubiak was would probably use this season much like an extended training camp. Bringing in players all season long and sifting through the roster. He has pretty much done this.

I just wish he would take it a step further and put the players in positions to fail or succeed and see who has what it takes.

I don't recall Carr ever being put in this position. I guess that is why I continue to support him. I will wait until he fails to show he can lead a team in a last minute drive. Others conclude that the reason he isn't given this chance is that the coaches know he can't do it. I gotta see it for myself.

Blind? Maybe, but I guess I am just stubborn that way.

:coffee:

utahmark
12-11-2006, 10:44 PM

i no the seasons over but i wanted to win this game. dont care about records this wasnt a game to experiment for next year. any other team any other time not that game though. of course in hindsight they should of done something different.

t_flare
12-11-2006, 11:07 PM
Lets say you get a 20 yard pass in.. that would take a min of 20 seconds before you can spike the ball. Then you get another 20 and yards and 20 secdons.. ur down to 13 seconds and your at your 47... you run another play the clock goes down...

It would take top 2 offense in the NFL to even have a chance...

GNTLEWOLF
12-12-2006, 02:04 AM

In New England's first Super Bowl win with Tom Brady as QB, The pats drove the length of the field in under 60 seconds to get the game winning field goal.

Roughnecks
12-12-2006, 02:10 AM
Yea that was a Super Bowl TEAM, TEAM this is not.

YellerLotYeller
12-12-2006, 03:52 AM

That was a new one to me as well...

GNTLEWOLF
12-12-2006, 07:06 AM
Yea that was a Super Bowl TEAM, TEAM this is not.

The point is: instead of playing not to lose, you at least try to make a go of it. And you never know, even the Texans might find that they could get in field goal range.

OzzO
12-12-2006, 01:46 PM

BWAHAHAHAAHAH!!

http://fusionanomaly.net/kungfuwhenpebble.jpg

I think I may have a new avatar... :hmmm: