PDA

View Full Version : Starts at the top....McNair

pittbull
12-11-2006, 11:33 AM
So many people are being thrown under the bus with this franchise. Carr, the lame duck QB, Mario Williams, the lame duck draft pick, Kubiak, the lame duck coach. And believe it or not, the fans that are looking so vilified in their reactions on sunday. I for one beleive you have the right to cheer and boo when you want, but the direction should be at upper management first and then down.
I have to applaud Bod McNair for throwing around his monopoly money at overpriced FA's and signing guys to make the franchise look so good on the outside, but one way or the other, through loss of profit or fans, he's going to learn the business is ugly, both on the the field and off. McNair has shown a history so far of going far to please the fans and make the city look good, through the hiring guys that make the franchise look so nice...... Crap! Get the guy that will light a fire, get the guys that will bring fire in the locker room. Get the guys that will ruffle the feathers of a David Carr, or make a statement of the coaching staff not coming to play on Sunday's. Overall, this leads to accountability and competition, and this has not been seen since year one. Face it. Dom Capers, nice guy. Casserly, Nice Guy. Carr, Nice Guy, Mario, Nice Guy. Kubiak, Good ol' hometown nice guy! When are we gonna see some guys with attitude, personality, someone that shows the true side of the fans. Nice off the field, but when you mess up my dreams, I'll mess you up!
We saw this on draft day. It was political, even though it was not admitted. Bush would have brought a character outside the organizational standards. Peace, no war! This actually backfired, and we saw the results on Sunday. The fans finally revolted, and the adminstration had to make another PR move and not even allow introductions, for fear they would go off on Carr or Mario! I think once McNair and the front office gets some @$%%, the coaching staff and team will follow. Are there other nice guy owners, yes, but they know what it takes, a mixture of both attitude and good guys in the locker room. It takes holding back the attitude guys so much from the camera, and making the nice guys the face of the organization. Winners know how to delegate authority and lead, but this is showing that even though you have monopoly money, you still can't buy winning team.
Bud Adams, even though he s hated in Houston, is a perfect example of how far he will go. On day one, Vince was his guy. He was supposed to play, thrid string QB, by the coaching standards. The organization forced out Billy Volek, brought in the lame duck Kerry Collins, who if your any type of football watcher, knew what was going to happen. VINCE WOULD GET THE JOB! Adams could care less about the backlash, the fans, the coaching staff, he simply said.......WIN with it! He played the entire franchise like a fiddle and got the franchise and fans to believe in his vision, with a mixture of good guys like Vince, and bad characters like PACMAN JONES, who has yet to be suspended, no matter who he slaps, kills, or hurts outside of football. (Anyone see his tirate on his special teams coach behind the bench? I did, I was there, flat out nasty) Haynesworth was on the field! McNair would have released the guy. Now Tennessee is growing back up and the TExans are continuing to grow through growing pangs, do to a dad that wasn't taught to be a father of a franchise. Get with it Bob and the Texans will go as you go!:aikido:

Mr. White
12-11-2006, 11:35 AM
One word: Paragraphs.

hot pickle
12-11-2006, 11:35 AM

two words:

WHO CARES

Texandiver
12-11-2006, 11:52 AM
Well, I sent a long email directed to Mr. McNair basically blaming him because he's the person that has hired the people that have messed up this franchise. I don't bame the current coach or front office for how bad we are. More of the blame goes to Charlie Casserly, Dom Capers and Bob MCNair.

BTW I heard the Titans radio broadcast of the VY's winning td, and I just got ticked off againg. More so at how loud the cheering was. I'm pissed, no make that I'm really pissed at the organization. I'm going to complain about them, but they are my team. I can not root against them no matter how pissed I am.

Double Barrel
12-11-2006, 11:53 AM
Maybe Mr. McNair should just take his team and leave town so everyone feels better. :hmmm:

2ToneBlue
12-11-2006, 11:57 AM
Well, I sent a long email directed to Mr. McNair basically blaming him because he's the person that has hired the people that have messed up this franchise. I don't bame the current coach or front office for how bad we are. More of the blame goes to Charlie Casserly, Dom Capers and Bob MCNair.

BTW I heard the Titans radio broadcast of the VY's winning td, and I just got ticked off againg. More so at how loud the cheering was. I'm pissed, no make that I'm really pissed at the organization. I'm going to complain about them, but they are my team. I can not root against them no matter how pissed I am.Nor should you, I think the "excitment" of Vince Young playing in Texas will be gone after a year or two. This is his very first game every played at Texas since he left college. Of course a lot of people want to see his first game. I don't think that will happen every time.

Not being from Texas I don't know how big he really was, but from I read and hear he was considered a state hero almost. I would be upset if this happened to my team as well, so I understand the frustration.

kingh99
12-11-2006, 12:12 PM
So many people are being thrown under the bus with this franchise. Carr, the lame duck QB, Mario Williams, the lame duck draft pick, Kubiak, the lame duck coach. And believe it or not, the fans that are looking so vilified in their reactions on sunday. I for one beleive you have the right to cheer and boo when you want, but the direction should be at upper management first and then down.
I have to applaud Bod McNair for throwing around his monopoly money at overpriced FA's and signing guys to make the franchise look so good on the outside, but one way or the other, through loss of profit or fans, he's going to learn the business is ugly, both on the the field and off. McNair has shown a history so far of going far to please the fans and make the city look good, through the hiring guys that make the franchise look so nice...... Crap! Get the guy that will light a fire, get the guys that will bring fire in the locker room. Get the guys that will ruffle the feathers of a David Carr, or make a statement of the coaching staff not coming to play on Sunday's. Overall, this leads to accountability and competition, and this has not been seen since year one. Face it. Dom Capers, nice guy. Casserly, Nice Guy. Carr, Nice Guy, Mario, Nice Guy. Kubiak, Good ol' hometown nice guy! When are we gonna see some guys with attitude, personality, someone that shows the true side of the fans. Nice off the field, but when you mess up my dreams, I'll mess you up!
We saw this on draft day. It was political, even though it was not admitted. Bush would have brought a character outside the organizational standards. Peace, no war! This actually backfired, and we saw the results on Sunday. The fans finally revolted, and the adminstration had to make another PR move and not even allow introductions, for fear they would go off on Carr or Mario! I think once McNair and the front office gets some @$%%, the coaching staff and team will follow. Are there other nice guy owners, yes, but they know what it takes, a mixture of both attitude and good guys in the locker room. It takes holding back the attitude guys so much from the camera, and making the nice guys the face of the organization. Winners know how to delegate authority and lead, but this is showing that even though you have monopoly money, you still can't buy winning team.
Bud Adams, even though he s hated in Houston, is a perfect example of how far he will go. On day one, Vince was his guy. He was supposed to play, thrid string QB, by the coaching standards. The organization forced out Billy Volek, brought in the lame duck Kerry Collins, who if your any type of football watcher, knew what was going to happen. VINCE WOULD GET THE JOB! Adams could care less about the backlash, the fans, the coaching staff, he simply said.......WIN with it! He played the entire franchise like a fiddle and got the franchise and fans to believe in his vision, with a mixture of good guys like Vince, and bad characters like PACMAN JONES, who has yet to be suspended, no matter who he slaps, kills, or hurts outside of football. (Anyone see his tirate on his special teams coach behind the bench? I did, I was there, flat out nasty) Haynesworth was on the field! McNair would have released the guy. Now Tennessee is growing back up and the TExans are continuing to grow through growing pangs, do to a dad that wasn't taught to be a father of a franchise. Get with it Bob and the Texans will go as you go!:aikido:

It's all on McNair. Since there's no stockholder's meeting I know of, it's up to his backers to vote no confidence. TV money has made owners too safe. He should be run out of town on a rail for his gross mismanagement.

It started from day one. He hired Casserly. He chose the name Texans, okay but then he came up with the lame logo (west texas wind blown steer skull anyone). Next he could have hired those old rockers zztop to be the pep band. He could have done a lot more than what he's done. He's got all that TV money so he just plays it safe. And this is what you get. Muzak for a football team. For shame.

El Tejano
12-11-2006, 12:14 PM
Like I've said before. I support the decision of going with Mario and see where he has made us better but today's game did away with my Texans in Austin for good. I live in Texas and will not be able to see the Texans.

That is the sad part and you as an owner should've known that would happen.

Texan Asylum
12-11-2006, 12:16 PM
Maybe Mr. McNair should just take his team and leave town so everyone feels better. :hmmm:
Pasadena???

kingh99
12-11-2006, 12:24 PM
I've had bosses like McNair. They have their minds made up but will humor you for your ideas. They want yes men and if you argue, they get pissed at you. That's what this guy comes across as. The deal with Reggie Bush's agent just seals it for me. He's over his head and is too proud to admit it.

I imagine an interview conversation with Gary Kubiak might have gone like this:

"Gary, we have a situation at QB where we are looking at either moving a different direction or extending David Carr. I wonder if he's really had the talent to show what he can do. What do you think Gary?"

Well duh, what would you say, Interviewee?

nunusguy
12-11-2006, 12:46 PM
The deal with Reggie Bush's agent just seals it for me. He's over his head and is too proud to admit it.

See, that's what I also think happened in the dealings McNair and his people had with Bush. Bush came into Houston with entourage (business agent, attorney, etc.) and they probably dealt with the old man like a business peer
and were uppity and all and acted like the Texans had the good fortune to have the opportunity to get a talent like his.
But Mario comes down here and says "yes sir Mr McNair", and acts subserviant and all, glad to be alive and have a chance to play in the NFL.
Then McNair looked for an excuse to not take Bush, and the deal with Bushs family, the free rent from the agent, etc was that excuse.
Can't always play it safe and have everthing your own way - gotta take some
chances now and then.
They really thought Mario was the safe pick, and he was in McNairs eyes. But maybe at the same time the dumb pick ?

kingh99
12-11-2006, 12:49 PM
See, that's what I also think happened in the dealings McNair and his people had with Bush. Bush came into Houston with entourage (business agent, attorney, etc.) and they probably dealt with the old man like a business peer
and were uppity and all and acted like the Texans had the good fortune to have the opportunity to get a talent like his.
But Mario comes down here and says "yes sir Mr McNair", and acts subserviant and all, glad to be alive and have a chance to play in the NFL.
Then McNair looked for an excuse to not take Bush, and the deal with Bushs family, the free rent from the agent, etc was that excuse.
Can't always play it safe and have everthing your own way - gotta take some
chances now and then.
They really thought Mario was the safe pick, and he was in McNairs eyes. But maybe at the same time the dumb pick ?

that's what I think. And it's pathetic cuz I happen to like Mario as a player. But he's been set up to suffer for this guy's lousy ways.

Marcus
12-11-2006, 12:59 PM
I wouldn't go there (http://forums.houstontexans.com/showpost.php?p=530520&postcount=1) if I were you.

pittbull
12-11-2006, 01:43 PM

I know. I was so frustrated, I just wrote and didn't correct my grammer or edit anything...lol

Koolaid Time
12-11-2006, 02:05 PM
that's what I think. And it's pathetic cuz I happen to like Mario as a player. But he's been set up to suffer for this guy's lousy ways.

McNair has about 700 million reasons to want to call things "his way".. but that doesn't necessarily make things the “right way."

If McNair looked at the "bottom line".. it might have made sense to keep Carr another year.

To get Vince you would have had a LARGE signing bonus..that alone would exceed the money paid to Carr. Then you would had to sign a NFL Caliber back-up QB to come in and run the team for at least 2 years while Vince learned the system. Those two factors would be double the amount needed to pay and keep Carr.

I would have never thought Vince could have come in his first season the done as well as he did with a pro system.

Dan Reeves was the person who told McNair that the Texans could win with Carr. If you blame McNair for anything, blame him for listening to Reeves.

Mario was the cheap and conservative pick. He will be good, but he isn't Vince or Reggie.

Specnatz
12-11-2006, 02:14 PM
Anyone who says the team should be run out of town are probably the same idiots who only cheer for a team who is winning. If you want the team gone or the owner then you need to get the F off the board and go join another board because you are not fans and your here just to be negative and whine and complain.

By the way, blaming the owner of a football team makes as much sense as blaming someone for driving to slow and coasing you to speed up around them and getting a ticket.

The owner hires a GM and the GM hires staff to put a winning product on the field. The owner is just that the owner, it says nothing about how much knowledge he has about the sport. It only says he has a lot of money and can afford to buy a team. The GM, Coaches and scouting staff is what failed and McNair gave them 4 years to turn it around and nothing happened so he fired them and brought new people in, it is the first year of having to undue all the bad that has happened and you so called fans think it should happen instantly. Well guess what? It does not work that way. Fixing mistakes in sports takes more than one off season.

Heywood
12-11-2006, 02:16 PM
for the record, the notion he's "throwing around money" is not true in a relative sense, as i believe the texans have yet to spend to the cap, unlike scores of other teams' owners do.

and, for those of you who understand accounting 101, the $600 million he put in for the team needs ot be offset by the $400 million+ in value the taxpayers gave him. i know this is difficult for a lot of you, but i assure you it is not difficult for mcnair and his bankers to do.

Heywood
12-11-2006, 02:18 PM
By the way, blaming the owner of a football team makes as much sense as blaming someone for driving to slow and coasing you to speed up around them and getting a ticket.

The owner hires a GM and the GM hires staff to put a winning product on the field. The owner is just that the owner, it says nothing about how much knowledge he has about the sport. It only says he has a lot of money and can afford to buy a team. The GM, Coaches and scouting staff is what failed and McNair gave them 4 years to turn it around and nothing happened so he fired them and brought new people in, it is the first year of having to undue all the bad that has happened and you so called fans think it should happen instantly. Well guess what? It does not work that way. Fixing mistakes in sports takes more than one off season.

were you ken lay's lawyer? this peculiar culture where the guy in charge gets the benefits of success without the drawbacks of failure seems entrenched in houston.

The Dream
12-11-2006, 02:26 PM
Nor should you, I think the "excitment" of Vince Young playing in Texas will be gone after a year or two. This is his very first game every played at Texas since he left college. Of course a lot of people want to see his first game. I don't think that will happen every time.

Not being from Texas I don't know how big he really was, but from I read and hear he was considered a state hero almost. I would be upset if this happened to my team as well, so I understand the frustration.

I disagree about the "excitment" being gone after a year or two....if Vince goes on to be the great player that we all invision him being, then you better believe that for the next decade plus that there will be a large amount of #10 Jerseys in the stands.

nunusguy
12-11-2006, 02:30 PM
McNair has about 700 million reasons to want to call things "his way".. but that doesn't necessarily make things the “right way."
If McNair looked at the "bottom line".. it might have made sense to keep Carr another year.
To get Vince you would have had a LARGE signing bonus..that alone would exceed the money paid to Carr. Then you would had to sign a NFL Caliber back-up QB to come in and run the team for at least 2 years while Vince learned the system. Those two factors would be double the amount needed to pay and keep Carr.
I would have never thought Vince could have come in his first season the done as well as he did with a pro system.
Dan Reeves was the person who told McNair that the Texans could win with Carr. If you blame McNair for anything, blame him for listening to Reeves.
Mario was the cheap and conservative pick. He will be good, but he isn't Vince or Reggie.
I appreciate what you say here Koolaid.
It would have been a very difficult situation to have both Carr & VY here at the same time, on several levels.
And as you say, who would have thought VY could be at this point this early in his career ? Maybe Bud Adams. Gotta give the Budster kudos, he believed in VY when a lot of others didn't !

kingh99
12-11-2006, 02:35 PM
Anyone who says the team should be run out of town are probably the same idiots who only cheer for a team who is winning. If you want the team gone or the owner then you need to get the F off the board and go join another board because you are not fans and your here just to be negative and whine and complain.

Not the team. The owner. He's a screwup so far. Actually I thought about this over lunch and I am happy for Vince Young. Jeff Fisher is comfortable enough in his skin to not feel the need to coach VY's skills out of him. Kubes is a QB coach. VY is in the pefect situation with TN.

dantem
12-11-2006, 02:37 PM
Crap! Get the guy that will light a fire, get the guys that will bring fire in the locker room. Get the guys that will ruffle the feathers of a David Carr, or make a statement of the coaching staff not coming to play on Sunday's. Overall, this leads to accountability and competition, and this has not been seen since year one. Face it. Dom Capers, nice guy. Casserly, Nice Guy. Carr, Nice Guy, Mario, Nice Guy. Kubiak, Good ol' hometown nice guy! When are we gonna see some guys with attitude

Yeah, Thats what we need, some Ex-Conns and a few child molesters. Then we can have Burt Reynolds come and coach them. Then we could be unstoppable like the Bengals... It's not worth it, I don't think I could root for guys like TO, even if they did win games.

bayshorebevo
12-11-2006, 02:38 PM
We need more guys like Boselli. We have always made great decisions since the beginning.

Koolaid Time
12-11-2006, 02:44 PM
We need more guys like Boselli. We have always made great decisions since the beginning.

Boselli was "damaged goods" passed off on us. Didn't Jacksonville have to pay a portion of the money the Texans owed him because the Jags fudged on his medical records?