PDA

View Full Version : How many sacks does MW need?

gtexan02
12-11-2006, 09:31 AM
We have 3 games left. If MW has 3 sacks in each of those 3 games, he'll be at the point I thought he'd be when we drafted him.

I expect a #1 DE to accrue about 12-13 sacks a season, and he's about 9 behind.

What about for you?

kingh99
12-11-2006, 09:35 AM
We have 3 games left. If MW has 3 sacks in each of those 3 games, he'll be at the point I thought he'd be when we drafted him.

I expect a #1 DE to accrue about 12-13 sacks a season, and he's about 9 behind.

What about for you?

He's a middle of the second round pick based on objective performance. Nice player sure but the first pick in last year's draft? No. And if his wheels keep coming off (bad feet) he may be a major bust. He's also too high in his center of gravity and all that size gets negated.

Sportsfan
12-11-2006, 09:37 AM
He's a middle of the second round pick based on objective performance.

I agree. On the other hand Demeco is playing like a #1 pick.

mexican_texan
12-11-2006, 09:50 AM
He's a run stopper. If he could plant, he'd be elite. Otherwise, he can barely walk.

gtexan02
12-11-2006, 10:52 AM
He's a run stopper. If he could plant, he'd be elite. Otherwise, he can barely walk.

You are basing this on what? Hope? He hasn't shown this at all since entering the NFL

real
12-11-2006, 10:54 AM
at this point I'm really hoping Mario Williams doesn't = David Carr....

I've seen many things that lead me to believe Mario will be a beast, and I wouldn't write him off just yet...especially not in his first year, but in time those meausurables will have to translate into plays on the field....

bayshorebevo
12-11-2006, 10:57 AM
Mario would need 10 sacks & 40 tackles per game for the next 2 years to get people to say it wasn't that bad a pick. It's not his fault, he will probably turn out to be a nice player. He got 1st guy money but it probably doesn't make up for the grief he is getting. The brain trust gets this tab.

TransplantTexan1
12-11-2006, 10:59 AM

I've seen many things that lead me to believe Mario will be a beast, and I wouldn't write him off just yet...especially not in his first year, but in time those meausurables will have to translate into plays on the field....

Exactly. Mario was brought in to be not just a pass rusher but a disruptive force on the OL, regardless of the down and distance. We've seen some flashes of his pass rushing abilities (beyond just sacks -- like the INT he forced from Brooks last week) but in spots we're seeing his ability to make an impact versus the run. Still not enough but better than over the first six weeks of the season.

Both Julius Peppers and Reggie White had fewer than eight sacks their first year. Plus, Mario's just 21 years old. We'll need more data to make a determination about what's going on with him. And hopefully that data will be collected without his busted foot. :shades: :mario:

HOU-TEX
12-11-2006, 11:00 AM

I believe he will be a beast. IIRC, He's only 21 years old. I think he still has alot to learn. Some have said, with his body frame, he can easily put on another 10-15 pounds without jeopardizing any speed.

Was he the correct pick for the Texans? Only time will tell, but I'm satisfied with it.:)

TransplantTexan1
12-11-2006, 11:01 AM

Exactly. Mario was brought in to be not just a pass rusher but a disruptive force on the OL, regardless of the down and distance. We've seen some flashes of his pass rushing abilities (beyond just sacks -- like the INT he forced from Brooks last week) but in spots we're seeing his ability to make an impact versus the run. Still not enough but better than over the first six weeks of the season.

Both Julius Peppers and Reggie White had fewer than eight sacks their first year. Plus, Mario's just 21 years old. We'll need more data to make a determination about what's going on with him. And hopefully that data will be collected without a busted foot. :shades: :mario:

He's a good guy, and hope people don't beat him up repeatedly because he's not Vince Young. I see that happening already, even on the radio. Sure, he's not having the impact that VY is having as a rookie, but he's done some good things for this team and you'd like to see his game grow from here.

Vinny
12-11-2006, 11:02 AM
Too bad there isn't a 3-cone drill Super Bowl or a tire drill best of 3 contest, or a short shuttle overtime run-off to determine wins and losses. We'd slay.

real
12-11-2006, 11:06 AM
Too bad there isn't a 3-cone drill Super Bowl or a tire drill best of 3 contest, or a short shuttle overtime run-off to determine wins and losses. We'd slay.

LOL

Second Honeymoon
12-11-2006, 11:09 AM
Mario will never be able to make the city forget about Young or even Reggie Bush. It's sad but true. I like the guy and like that he is playing hurt and not further injuring himself. He is just cursed as always being the 'other guy'.

carr sucks
kubiak sucks
mcnair sucks
the texans suck

gtexan02
12-11-2006, 11:10 AM

Both Julius Peppers and Reggie White had fewer than eight sacks their first year. Plus, Mario's just 21 years old. We'll need more data to make a determination about what's going on with him. And hopefully that data will be collected without his busted foot. :shades: :mario:

lol what are you even talking about? Julius Peppers had 12 sacks his rookie year, despite playing only 12 games, to go along with 36 tackles, 5 forced fumbles, and a pick.

Reggie White had 13 sacks to go along with 100 tackles his first season. Also in 12 games.

So.....

TransplantTexan1
12-11-2006, 11:11 AM
Mario will never be able to make the city forget about Young or even Reggie Bush. It's sad but true. I like the guy and like that he is playing hurt and not further injuring himself. He is just cursed as always being the 'other guy'.

carr sucks
kubiak sucks
mcnair sucks
the texans suck

I agree. Too bad for Mario but until the Texans are in the playoffs (and maybe not even then), he's going to always be the guy who isn't Vince Young/Reggie Bush.

bayshorebevo
12-11-2006, 11:11 AM

Good one. Maybe the combine will have a 3-legged race this year.