PDA

View Full Version : The Darkest Day for pro football in Houston

LoneStarState
12-11-2006, 12:05 AM
Ok... which do you think qualifies as the darkest day for pro football in Houston...

The Dude Abides
12-11-2006, 12:07 AM
Without question. Oilers move. Oilers lose to the Bills in playoffs.

torontooilfan
12-11-2006, 12:08 AM
41-38, the comeback.

as an old oiler fan that has stuck with the franchise, this loss doesn't even come close to that debacle.

texaslifter
12-11-2006, 12:08 AM
Oilers loss to Bills in the playoffs. I was like 8 at the time, and even then I remember exactly where I was and the heartbreak I felt from that game.

ledzeppelin229
12-11-2006, 12:09 AM
In my memory definitely...but this one can die down when things change. (IF anyway).

If Mario can prove his doubters wrong and we find solutions at QB and RB this will blow over, although we might still be stuck with obnoxious fans twice a year from our own city.

I doubt this beats the Buffalo game everyone talks about as far as longevity.

Vinny
12-11-2006, 12:09 AM
Without question. Oilers move. Oilers lose to the Bills in playoffs.
This is worse than the Bills playoff loss. At least we were in the SB derby watching some future hall of famers and variety of Pro Bowlers go down in a playoff game as they were the one of the best teams in the league. Today said a lot about this franchise.

Texas_Thrill
12-11-2006, 12:12 AM
the buffalo game still STICKS with memory very FRESHLY.

this hurts a lot though i must admit. especially ending the way it did.

ledzeppelin229
12-11-2006, 12:12 AM
This is worse than the Bills playoff loss. At least we were in the SB derby watching some future hall of famers and variety of Pro Bowlers go down in a playoff game as they were the one of the best teams in the league. Today said a lot about this franchise.

Most of what was said involves the 'fans'.

Vinny
12-11-2006, 12:14 AM
The Emperor has no clothes

ToroFan
12-11-2006, 12:15 AM
I would say the playoff loss to the Bills. We had so much talent on that teams, and the Bills were considered our last major roadblock to the super bowl. To lose in that way was devastating. I hate Bud Adams for taking the Oilers away after we came back to support the team after that debacle.

I still cringe anytime they play that game on espn classic.

This loss makes me angry, but in the end it's still a regular season game. It only proves that our front office and our owner don't know what they are doing.

K.D.
12-11-2006, 12:15 AM
The lost to Buffalo, no ? about it. That meltdown is going to stick around a long, long time.

Hervoyel
12-11-2006, 12:18 AM
To my mind the worst day in Houston football history has to be the day that Bum Phillips was fired. It was far worse than the Buffalo comeback. Today doesn't even register in comparison.

When the Oilers were in the AFL nobody cared. When the AFL and NFL merged they stunk and nobody liked them. Somehow when Bum Phillips began collecting his players and then toppped it off with Earl Campbell the Oilers became "right". Now granted they did not make it to the Super Bowl in that era but they were arguably better than both teams that the Steelers beat to get their 78 and 79 titles.

When Bud Adams fired Bum Phillips he broke that. Whatever it was that Bum & Co had "fixed" about the Oilers was again broken and at least in my opinion it never really got fixed again. The city loved the team and then Bud fired Bum and the city (for the most part) took Bums side. From that day forward The affection directed at the Oilers was always tempered with some distrust for their owner.

cdastros
12-11-2006, 12:18 AM

It really didn't surprise me that the Texans lost a close game. This has been the Texans mo for the past 2 years. When its all said and done, this game will be replaced in our minds by yet another VY comback against the Texans next year, while Buffalo will last forever.

Hands down Buffalo

Vinny
12-11-2006, 12:20 AM
I donno, this management team openly stated that they didn't want to draft Young because they didn't want to "start over". I mean, come on. When are we going to be a franchise that is able to scout NFL talent and acquire the ability to know what they have in their players? I mean, they didn't even announce their players because they wanted to protect David? Geez - all time low for me following a team.....hard to top today.

ledzeppelin229
12-11-2006, 12:24 AM
I donno, this management team openly stated that they didn't want to draft Young because they didn't want to "start over". I mean, come on. When are we going to be a franchise that is able to scout NFL talent and acquire the ability to know what they have in their players?

I agree there....it looks like we're going to be starting over at QB regardless. I don't hate the MW pick and I hope he keeps improving, but the offense is not on the upswing right now by any means. Maybe when some guys are back on the OL Carr will "improve" enough that we will get by, but his decision making is way too slow and robotic. Unless they can stun gun his brain and start all over, an improved OL isn't going to make him progress through his reads faster.

Grid
12-11-2006, 01:42 AM
Today is the darkest day that I actually witnessed myself. So I voted for it.

Today was our buffalo.

Janus3
12-11-2006, 01:48 AM
bills and oilers. i went from the highest of highs to the lows of lows all within a few hours. nothing will EVER be worse than that.

J-Storm
12-11-2006, 06:03 AM
Whenever a town/city/etc loses a team because an owner wants to move them on to better pastures it has to be a low and dark day in a franchise's history. If the fans and attitude don't change in and around Houston with the Texans in 2 seasons, you will see it happening again... that would then classify as the darkest day for Pro Football in Houston!

Heywood
12-11-2006, 06:13 AM
the (good Houston) Oilers were the renfro team(s). the immensely talented team that choked against buffalo was not a part of our soul. the (enron Houston) texans will never be. nothing will ever hurt as much as losing to pittsburgh with "our" guys did.

besides, losing in denver hurt worse than in buffalo. the team that lost in denver was the best houston team ever, in terms of talent.

oh, and while we're here, the greatest moment in houston pro football history was winning the playoff game in san diego with our backups. many of you are too young to remember this.

V Man
12-11-2006, 07:27 AM
As bad as yesterday was, it will never (and I pray nothing ever will again) compare to the lose to Buffalo.

Biggest comeback in history.
Team could have gone far in the playoffs.
Lose to a Backup

The list that makes it the worst goes on and on.

Texans_Chick
12-11-2006, 08:27 AM
I donno, this management team openly stated that they didn't want to draft Young because they didn't want to "start over". I mean, come on. When are we going to be a franchise that is able to scout NFL talent and acquire the ability to know what they have in their players? I mean, they didn't even announce their players because they wanted to protect David? Geez - all time low for me following a team.....hard to top today.

This is neither here nor there, but I believe that Vince Young's management did a terrible job selling him as the best player available, and did a horrible job of ushering him through the draft process. If they really wanted to sell the organization on VY, they would have had to have done it before Carr's contract option.

I'm not sure that Cass could have been sold on that, but you don't sell Casserly by just saying wowwee look at that, home town hero. You sell it to him in a way to make it make football sense.

Bud Adams picking VY was a personal thing, not following his football operations people. It is quite possible had the Titans not been at 3, VY would have fallen pretty far in this draft.

As for the darkest days of pro football in Houston, there are too many to list. We've been shot, stabbed, burned, flayed, whipped, etc. What's another kick in the head to someone who has been repeatedly kicked in the head.

Vinny
12-11-2006, 09:13 AM
This is neither here nor there, but I believe that Vince Young's management did a terrible job selling him as the best player available, and did a horrible job of ushering him through the draft process. If the Texans need a slick advertising campaign or some PR guru to help them when it comes to the draft then this team is in much worse shape than I think it is. Perhaps it's just me, but I grade talent when I watch the games...not off some stat sheet or some slick marketing campaign telling me what I should perceive when I watch the games.

Double Barrel
12-11-2006, 10:11 AM
The Darkest Day for pro football in Houston: Oiler meltdown in the playoffs against Buffalo

as an old oiler fan that has stuck with the franchise, this loss doesn't even come close to that debacle.

I agree.

It IS the lowest point in the Texans franchise history, though....at least I'm hoping it's the lowest point. Get much lower than this and we won't have any fans left.

real
12-11-2006, 10:13 AM
I wasn't that old, but I remember that loss to Buffalo....and that was pretty bad....As of right now that IMO was the worst....

BUT....If VY and RB keep progressing at their current rate, I think we'll have a new champ in town....

bayshorebevo
12-11-2006, 10:14 AM
This is worse than Buffalo & I never thought we could top that. This is a hangover that might last 10 years.

nunusguy
12-11-2006, 10:15 AM
The darkest days for pro ball in this town were when the Oilers left and we didn't have an NFL team.
We're all very disappointed now, but its nothing like being without a team
at all.

19-10
12-11-2006, 10:23 AM
The Buffalo loss is easily the worst b/c of what was at stake and how we were ahead. Renfro was a bad call. The draft choice could overtake it down the road but for now it's the Buffalo loss hands down

Sportsfan
12-11-2006, 10:27 AM
I voted for Bud packing up the Oilers to Tennessee

fhlh
12-11-2006, 10:39 AM
Voted for the Renfro non call.
I was about 10 at the time and remember being devastated
I also remember my father yelling at the refs through the tv screen and thinking "they can't hear you" :)

This bad-call is what gave us instant reply.

Texan_Bill
12-11-2006, 10:43 AM
Darkest Day for pro football in Houston...

Mike Renfro "no TD" in AFC Championship game loss
Bum Phillips fired as Oilers coach
Oiler meltdown in the playoffs against Buffalo
Bud packing up the Oilers to Tennessee
Draft Day 2006 (1st pick more specifically)
Being haunted by Vince Young and Reggie Bush on the same day

YES!!!!

luvyablue52
12-11-2006, 10:44 AM
has to be the oilers moving. I went to 3 games that final year in 96 and have not been to a regular season NFL game since.

Old School
12-11-2006, 10:46 AM
Without a doubt Buffalo was the worst. The Oilers leaving and the Renfro call made me mad. Yesterday left me in shock. The Meltdown though, that was the closest I ever came to crying over a pro football game. I remember it like it was yesterday. At halftime I was already celebrating and then slowly things started to unravel. You actually had time to feel it while the "choking" was happening.
So, I ended up throwing my Oiler hat at the TV and never bothered to pick it up. My wife (this being our first year married) didn't know what to do so she left it there for a couple of days until she picked it up while I was at work....Man, I miss that hat now.:)

Bamaborn-Texasbred
12-11-2006, 10:50 AM
I threw up after the Buffalo game, and it wasn't alcohol induced. The Oilers would have given Dallas a much better game in the Superbowl than Buffalo did. They may have even won.

Until that game (err, second half), the Oiler D that year was one of the best I have ever seen.

Childress, Sean Jones, Michael Baron, Bubba McDowell, Chris Dishman...

Texans_Chick
12-11-2006, 10:52 AM
If the Texans need a slick advertising campaign or some PR guru to help them when it comes to the draft then this team is in much worse shape than I think it is. Perhaps it's just me, but I grade talent when I watch the games...not off some stat sheet or some slick marketing campaign telling me what I should perceive when I watch the games.

Well yeah. You and I agreed about Young a long time ago. But I have to say that right after the Rose Bowl, football people at large were the highest on VY. And then he publicly got nicked left and right, signed a goofy choice as agent, and got people wondering about him.

If you are going to boot your old quarterback in February, get some backup to fill in, and commit to a do-over in the quarterback position with VY, you better know that the guy you are getting is totally worth it. He has to be totally worth the risk. (That is what needed to be sold). Bush would have been an easier choice than going the VY route.

Who knows, Bush might be a Texan if he had better representation.

titan hater
12-11-2006, 10:53 AM
This is neither here nor there, but I believe that Vince Young's management did a terrible job selling him as the best player available, and did a horrible job of ushering him through the draft process. If they really wanted to sell the organization on VY, they would have had to have done it before Carr's contract option.

I'm not sure that Cass could have been sold on that, but you don't sell Casserly by just saying wowwee look at that, home town hero. You sell it to him in a way to make it make football sense.

Bud Adams picking VY was a personal thing, not following his football operations people. It is quite possible had the Titans not been at 3, VY would have fallen pretty far in this draft.

As for the darkest days of pro football in Houston, there are too many to list. We've been shot, stabbed, burned, flayed, whipped, etc. What's another kick in the head to someone who has been repeatedly kicked in the head.

Good analogy, but I was thinking along the lines of a kick in the groin...

Texan Asylum
12-11-2006, 10:56 AM
Buffalo loss, without a doubt. Set up where we're at today.

I know where I was...I know what I was cooking for dinner...and I also know that at Halftime, I was outside smoking a cig and dreading the second half cause my instinct told me we that were in trouble. Isn't THAT crazy!

TEXANSTAILGATER
12-11-2006, 10:57 AM
It was

Vinny
12-11-2006, 10:58 AM
If you are going to boot your old quarterback in February, get some backup to fill in, and commit to a do-over in the quarterback position with VY, you better know that the guy you are getting is totally worth it. He has to be totally worth the risk. (That is what needed to be sold). Bush would have been an easier choice than going the VY route. That's what separates the guys who can only follow the sheeple from the people who can really grasp what they see. The inability to grasp Carr's limitations and to see how VY would mature is really the bottom line. Since we don't have that ability, we are here losing with David watching Young capture the attention and the imagination of NFL fans all over the world...in a Titan uniform.

Txn_in_Oki
12-11-2006, 10:58 AM
The playoff debacle against the Bills to me is the star on top of the mound of poo we put up with as Oiler fans. That was supposed to be our SB team, that team would have played Dallas in the big game, and well...

The sad thing about it is I wasn't that suprised when it happened.

Mr. White
12-11-2006, 10:59 AM
The Buffalo game. No question about it.

It was all downhill from there for the Oilers.

Bamaborn-Texasbred
12-11-2006, 10:59 AM

I know where I was...I know what I was cooking for dinner...and I also know that at Halftime, I was outside smoking a cig and dreading the second half cause my instinct told me we that were in trouble. Isn't THAT crazy!

I was at my brother's apartment. We had delivery pizza, and we weren't drinking anything stronger than Coca-Cola because we had to work that night. We were 20-something seafood restaurant waiters. It was tough to go to work, but it turned out to be a good distraction.

Blu
12-11-2006, 11:00 AM
(I voted for the Bills loss because I was a kid and it hurt like hell)
As a Oiler fan the worst was the lost to the Bills which IMO is just inches worst than the Playoff KC Montana loss in the Dome.

As A Houston football fan ...this is the worst..just because I don't care how you spin it..the Texans are going to be bad and no hope in site with a caoch that believes in a scrub Qb.
Our team is going to be the butt of all jokes for atleast a decade.
Time to get used to being clumped in with the Lions,Browns, and Cards..Oh my!
:hides:

Texan Asylum
12-11-2006, 11:02 AM
I was at my brother's apartment. We had delivery pizza, and we weren't drinking anything stronger than Coca-Cola because we had to work that night. We were 20-something seafood restaurant waiters. It was tough to go to work, but it turned out to be a good distraction.
Trailer house in Greensburg Kansas, cooking Ham and Beans with a side of Homemade Cinnamon Rolls. Second half starts and we score again, and I'm thinking..."It's gonna be different!"...then it started.

Bamaborn-Texasbred
12-11-2006, 11:05 AM
Trailer house in Greensburg Kansas, cooking Ham and Beans with a side of Homemade Cinnamon Rolls. Second half starts and we score again, and I'm thinking..."It's gonna be different!"...then it started.

I forget what the odds are of successfully covering 3 on-side kicks in one game, but I know it is pretty staggering. That game is why some betters don't care or don't want to know what the odds are.

El Amigo Invisible
12-11-2006, 11:43 AM
Guys,
I remember the Oiler loss like it was yestersay and it still hurts. But to be honest, I have not been the same since we drafted Mario over Vince Young.
I have felt deflatted and depressed about the direction our football team is going. I am still not over the loss yesterday.

TexansLucky13
12-11-2006, 11:48 AM
The Oilers losing in the playoffs in that fashion had to be the worst. Most people I talk to still hurt from that day, and it is one of those things that everybody remembers.

On a positive note, though.... the Bills went to four SB's in a row and lost all of them.... that must have sucked. I guess it is far better than going four years without the playoffs, though.

TexanFanInCC
12-11-2006, 11:48 AM
Darkest Day in my opinion is the departure of the oilers. They went on to be successful, and the owner actually drafted vince young.

Marcus
12-11-2006, 12:47 PM

I get the feeling not many people grasp the significance of that statement you made, TA, but yeah . . . I absolutely agree with you 100 fricken per cent.

Yeaterday was nothing, NOTHING, compared to that Buffalo loss.

That Oilers/Bills choke . . (I absolutely believe this, and I'll take it to my grave believing this) . . . that Oilers/Bills choke . .

. . . planted a seed, a seed called apathy. And that apathy grew into indifference and created the "don't let the door hit you on the ass" environment that allowed Bud to move "our beloved" Oilers to Tennessee.

You heard me right. I'm saying if the Oilers had won that game that day . . . the Oilers would still be here, and there wouldn't be such a thing as the Houston Texans or Tennessee Titans.

Lucky
12-11-2006, 01:01 PM
I get the feeling not many people grasp the significance of that statement you made, TA, but yeah . . . I absolutely agree with you 100 fricken per cent.[/B]
You can actually make a case that the firing of Bum Phillips eventually led to the Oilers leaving. That killed the Luv ya Blue craze, and the Adams Oilers never completely regained the fans trust. We are living though the curse of Bum Phillips. I thought a new team & new stadium would lift it. I was wrong.

Texans_Chick
12-11-2006, 01:05 PM
. . . planted a seed, a seed called apathy. And that apathy grew into indifference and created the "don't let the door hit you on the ass" environment that allowed Bud to move "our beloved" Oilers to Tennessee.

You heard me right. I'm saying if the Oilers had won that game that day . . . the Oilers would still be here, and there wouldn't be such a thing as the Houston Texans or Tennessee Titans.

Sort of.

You don't make threats to move your team during a down cycle.

Fans never really had an opportunity to stop this from happening. It was a done deal. Owners were moving teams, Bud wanted some crazy stuff right away or he would get the crazy stuff somewhere else.

Marcus
12-11-2006, 01:15 PM
Sort of.

You don't make threats to move your team during a down cycle.

Fans never really had an opportunity to stop this from happening. It was a done deal. Owners were moving teams, Bud wanted some crazy stuff right away or he would get the crazy stuff somewhere else.

And if the atmosphere in this town wouldn't have been so indifferent at that time, it would have been different.

But that Buffalo game planted the seed.

Lucky
12-11-2006, 01:23 PM
And if the atmosphere in this town wouldn't been so indifferent at that time, it would have been different.

But that Buffalo game planted the seed.
I was at the Oilers-Chiefs playoff game the next season, and the Dome was electric. The Oilers had just ripped off a 10 game winning streak and the fans thought that this was our Super Bowl team. Finally. Then, Montana ripped our heart out. It wasn't as shocking as the Bills game, but it was as bad as it gets for an Oiler fan.

Still, the fans loved the team. But they hated the owner. When he came looking for his big payday, the hate overcame the love. Adams had zero support. None. And the hatred began the day he fired Bum in a drunken fit.

Texan Asylum
12-11-2006, 01:26 PM
I get the feeling not many people grasp the significance of that statement you made, TA, but yeah . . . I absolutely agree with you 100 fricken per cent.

That Oilers/Bills choke . . (I absolutely believe this, and I'll take it to my grave believing this) . . . that Oilers/Bills choke . .

That loss taught me to flinch at any prospect of winning big games, being a Houston Football fan.

Much like a pup that's taught to flinch when it's hit too much...even when you just want to pet it.

TEXANRED
12-11-2006, 01:38 PM
The Darkest day IMO is having an opposing QB come into your house and act like its his house, a good portion of the fans believe its his house, our Defense reinforces the fact that it is his house.

Carr had an opportunity on Sunday to insert himself as a true Houston Texan QB. Instead he fluffed it off thinking that this was just another game another day. He "understood" why fans wanted the other QB b/c it is his hometown. What he should have done was act like a man and take it personally and go off. He didn't. 133 yards passing, he can't hit the open receiver. Continued to make bad decisions. Carr couldn't hit water if he fell off a boat.

I do believe Carr doesn't want to be here anymore than we want him here.

Marcus
12-11-2006, 04:34 PM
I do believe Carr doesn't want to be here anymore than we want him here.

I believe that. And I think his wife wants out of this town in the worst way.

Glacier
12-11-2006, 04:51 PM
The melt down was pretty bad. We got robbed of our All Texas Superbowl. :(

Yesterday was pretty bad as well. Cowboys got trounced by Reggie Bush and Co and VY showed up and was...well...VY....

Bud Adams got to stick it to Texas Football Yet again....that might be the worst part....

Double Barrel
12-11-2006, 05:07 PM
That loss taught me to flinch at any prospect of winning big games, being a Houston Football fan.

The Oilers loss to the Bills taught me a valuable lesson, too (over time).

The players win and lose, we just watch. I will never allow myself to lose sight of the fact that we are non-participants in these games. We have absolutely no bearing on the outcomes of games. So I always keep this in perspective, that life has so many more important things to focus on - family, God, your job, the things you love that you can control (like music for me) - that I won't let another sporting event ever put me into a 2-3 month fog of depression.

And this is why I say that the Bills game is the darkest day, simply because I was actually depressed and down in the dumps for months afterwards. Nothing in sports should do that to you if you're not playing the game, IMO.

Sco-tai
12-11-2006, 05:15 PM
Had we NOT won the franchise over LA...I would have said the Oilers moving. But since that has been "fixed"...DEFINITELY the Bills game. I mean...seriously...I don't remember the day i graduated college. I don't remember many important personal days....but that particular day is clear in my memory as anything in the past.

It wasn't the fact that we lost that was as bad as the manner in which we lost. Similar to yesterday's loss....but WAY WAY WAY WAY more brutal and PERMANENT! At least we have a "re-match" next year. There is no rematch to heal the buffalo loss. Unless we un-retire Frank Reich and everyone else! LOL

Marcus
12-11-2006, 05:42 PM
The Oilers loss to the Bills taught me a valuable lesson, too (over time).

The players win and lose, we just watch. I will never allow myself to lose sight of the fact that we are non-participants in these games. We have absolutely no bearing on the outcomes of games. So I always keep this in perspective, that life has so many more important things to focus on - family, God, your job, the things you love that you can control (like music for me) - that I won't let another sporting event ever put me into a 2-3 month fog of depression.

And this is why I say that the Bills game is the darkest day, simply because I was actually depressed and down in the dumps for months afterwards. Nothing in sports should do that to you if you're not playing the game, IMO.

That's how it happened with me. And I was living in Dallas at that time, which was the 2nd year in a row that Jimmy Johnson's Cowboys went to the Super Bowl. At halftime, after calling my Dad in Houston and yelling", This is it, Dad! I think we're finally, finally going to make it!", I sat back down with my Cowboy "friends", and we talked about how neat it would be to have an all Texas Super Bowl.

To say that was sheer hell to watch that 2nd half unfold the way it did with those guys around . . . (God! I'm getting mad all over again just trying to recollect that) It wouldn't have mattered if they went to Super Bowl the following year. It wouldn't have gotten rid of the sour taste in my mouth. So, I wanted the Oilers gone, in the worst way.

So, yeah, yesterday flat out sucked to the high heaven, but I'm not going go into a state of depression over it. But can you see why I sort of enjoyed the time that we didn't have football?

TheOgre
12-11-2006, 06:17 PM

According to John McClain, Fisher decided to announce them as a team, not the Texans.

I want to point out something so you can get it straight because I blew it last week. The Texans had nothing to do with who was introduced. It's up to the head coach. The Titans said Jeff Fisher has been bringing out his entire team for every game this season, and he did it again Sunday. He's got too much class to introduce the offense so Vince Young can get a rousing pregame ovation in his hometown. That would rub it in the Texans' faces, and Fisher's not like that. I'm sure the Texans appreciated it, too.

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2006/12/a_pass_has_been_cast_over_the.html

whiskeyrbl
12-11-2006, 06:21 PM
The Buffalo game

bigcarlos
12-11-2006, 06:27 PM
i remember the meltdown as if it were yesterday. I was 18 or so.....I cried. The move was also a tough one. Bum being fired was tough. Damn it, now Im mad

TexanDrifter
12-11-2006, 06:49 PM
I still dont like the think about the Buffalo game.

Yesterday was bad, but this franchise has lost plenty of games. Hard for me to care about one more. Maybe if something was truely on the line. Or if I was more personally invested in UT and Vince. Shrug....

Double Barrel
12-11-2006, 07:09 PM
So, yeah, yesterday flat out sucked to the high heaven, but I'm not going go into a state of depression over it. But can you see why I sort of enjoyed the time that we didn't have football?

I agree, Marcus. I actually acted like a "free agent fan" during that period without a hometown team, picking teams at the beginning of the year (and sometimes mid-season) to root for. I followed Bret Favre's Packers and Elway's Broncos during that period. It was refreshing to root for a winning team, and kinda' liberating to not have any emotional baggage when they lost.

But yeah, I definitely understand where you're coming from....for instance, do I really look forward to watching the Texans go to Foxboro after the Patriots got shut out yesterday? The answer would be "no", but I'm obligated to watch the game as a Texans fan. I know exactly what you're talking about. :shades:

According to John McClain, Fisher decided to announce them as a team, not the Texans.

I want to point out something so you can get it straight because I blew it last week. The Texans had nothing to do with who was introduced. It's up to the head coach. The Titans said Jeff Fisher has been bringing out his entire team for every game this season, and he did it again Sunday. He's got too much class to introduce the offense so Vince Young can get a rousing pregame ovation in his hometown. That would rub it in the Texans' faces, and Fisher's not like that. I'm sure the Texans appreciated it, too.

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2006/12/a_pass_has_been_cast_over_the.html

I think McClain is clueless, because they haven't announced any individual players for opposing teams this year at Reliant. Maybe all the coaches have decided against it, who knows. Far be it from me to get in the way of McYoung....errrrr....McClain from covering the Titans.

I've lost respect for 99% of Houston media (print and radio) the past week. They have absolutely no objectivity in their reporting. I don't expect Texans homers, and would prefer against it. But I certainly don't want Titans homerism throughout our local sports media, either. The only reason I said 99% is because Charlie Palilo keeps it real. He always maintains objectivity for the most part, and calls it like he sees it.

aj.
12-11-2006, 07:18 PM
The darkest day for pro football in Houston was when we lost the NFL.

WaylonJennings67
12-11-2006, 07:22 PM
Bum Phillips firing, by far...........that said, the passing over of VY will rank high on any list for many years.

Texan Asylum
12-11-2006, 07:29 PM

I'm with Marcus on this one. The Buffalo loss was akin to the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand of Austria that launched the first World War. At the time, no one knew the mayhem that would be born from those two moments in history.

aj.
12-11-2006, 07:39 PM
As long as you're playing "if" games, I'll disagree a bit...

Given the Buffalo debacle, IF the Oilers would have taken care of business against KC a year later - after earning home field advantage throughout the playoffs - people would have been talking about the Oilers ability to overcome numerous obstacles [Buffalo, Babygate, Alm, 1-4 start, etc] to finally reach the pinnacle of success. It would have killed that seed, or at least made it dormant. I recall the Dome being filled to the brim for that KC game.

I agree that yeaterday was nothing, NOTHING, compared to the Buffalo loss -- or the KC loss for that matter.

edit: I misread the intent of the post and yeah, if the Buffalo collapse didn't happen then everything would have been hunky dory too....

Texan Asylum
12-11-2006, 07:44 PM
As long as you're playing "if" games, I'll disagree a bit...

Given the Buffalo debacle, IF the Oilers would have taken care of business against KC a year later - after earning home field advantage throughout the playoffs - people would have been talking about the Oilers ability to overcome numerous obstacles [Buffalo, Babygate, Alm, 1-4 start, etc] to finally reach the pinnacle of success. It would have killed that seed, or at least made it dormant. I recall the Dome being filled to the brim for that KC game.

I agree that yeaterday was nothing, NOTHING, compared to the Buffalo loss -- or the KC loss for that matter.

edit: I misread the intent of the post and yeah, if the Buffalo collapse didn't happen then everything would have been hunky dory too....
Agreed AJ...but that KC loss wasn't near the 'sucker punch' the Buffalo loss was. But both hurt just the same. At least to me anyway.

DenverBorn
12-11-2006, 09:40 PM
Buffalo was the worst. I remember seeing my wife at halftime (she's not a football fan, lucky her),telling her how awesome Moon and the Oilers were. Her reaction, prophetically, was "don't get too excited, it's the Oilers". Then when McDowell returned the INT for a TD to make it 35-3, I was calling for Dandy Don to start singing. But when it went to 35-17, on two easy touchdowns, I'm guessing we all got queasy because we knew what was coming. And so did the team

I am still convinced that had we won that game (which was not the AFC Championship game) then gone on the the Super Bowl, the town would've supported a new stadium for Bud. So I think the move to Tennessee was a derivative of the loss to Buffalo.

I thought our best team was the team that lost to KC. That too was a devastating loss, but we were playing a QB who was more about wins than stats. Moon may have the yards, but Montana has the rings. Plus we didn't blow a 35-3 lead. I think the team just didn't take KC seriously enough. That was the end of a seven year run where we made it to the playoffs each year but never even played in the AFC Championship Game.

The day of the Renfro catch was perversely a good day for the city, as the ensuing pep rally in the Dome showed just how much this city can support a team, even when it loses. Earl had just finished his second year and we all thought there were Super Bowls in the near future. Pittsburgh had a great team so it wasn't devastating to lose to them on the road. Those were the days of Luv Ya Blue, Urban Cowboy and oil going to $100. An intoxicating time to be living in Houston, Texas (except for the traffic).

Dammit. I've been a Houston football fan for a looong time, and I just feel cheated. Dammit.

sakebomb
12-11-2006, 09:45 PM
The Buffalo game is the all time tops.

I was actually more pissed after the titans beat the colts and Bush had four touchdowns. The Vince Young touchdown run was just the icing on the cake. It was the point in my life where I could only smile and shake my head in amazement that we are truly cursed as Houston football fans.