PDA

View Full Version : Troy Smith a Texan

GuerillaBlack
12-10-2006, 06:36 PM
Who thinks this is possible? Troy throws better than Vince Young (at least he did in college) and can run just as fast as Vince Young. I think we should draft him (also knowing that Darren McFadden won't be coming out this year). I think we could pick up Cedric Benson from Chicago with our second round picC, so we would have our running game intact there. We can do defense with the rest of our picCs. Who agrees with me?

http://www.kenston.k12.oh.us/khs/osu_buckeyes/tn_troy_smith.jpg

http://www.absolutepigskin.com/images/articleimages/AbbyPigArticles/TroySmithQBOSU.jpg

TexanLen
12-10-2006, 06:38 PM
Not I!!!

Troy Smith won't be there. If he is, there is a reason. Cedric Benson? I am not so sure about him.

hot pickle
12-10-2006, 06:39 PM
im all for it, the only thing is Benson has a pretty big contract, but i like the troy smith idea, the ony thing is we need so much help at over positions to, so i wanna see how everythin plays out before april 29th before i say anything else

TexanSam
12-10-2006, 06:39 PM
If he falls to the 2nd round, I'd take him. I don't think he's as good as Vince Young, but he's pretty close.

bah007
12-10-2006, 06:40 PM
Who thinks this is possible? Troy throws better than Vince Young (at least he did in college) and can run just as fast as Vince Young. I think we should draft him (also knowing that Darren McFadden won't be coming out this year). I think we could pick up Cedric Benson from Chicago with our second round picC, so we would have our running game intact there. We can do defense with the rest of our picCs. Who agrees with me?

Smith is good but I dont think he is near the talent level of Young.

Smith is nowhere near Young as a runner even though he has good speed.

And I think that Young was a better passer in college than Smith was.

Keep in mind that the skill position players at Ohio St are way better than what Texas had last year.

And Vince still threw for 3000 yds. Smith will need 500 yds in the championship game if he wants to do that.

Napa Auto Parts
12-10-2006, 06:41 PM
im going to sound like a total ***** but i doubt that this franchise wants the face of the team to be a black QB that is why we passed up on vince we wont draft troy smith if we do draft a QB it will be a white QB

Johnny Utah
12-10-2006, 06:41 PM
Troy Smith is not VY, and I would hate for the Texans to draft him because Houston fans would expect so much out of him.

BornOrange
12-10-2006, 06:42 PM
Troy Smith is nowhere near Vince Young.

It's not close.

GuerillaBlack
12-10-2006, 06:44 PM
im going to sound like a total ***** but i doubt that this franchise wants the face of the team to be a black QB that is why we passed up on vince we wont draft troy smith if we do draft a QB it will be a white QB

That is what my dad had said today, but I don't think that is true. Warren Moon did it in Houston.

TexanFan881
12-10-2006, 06:44 PM
No way we get Cedric Benson. I still think the Bears want to keep him. And I don't want him, I'd be happier if we kept Ron Dayne.

I like the idea of Adrian Peterson in the first round, and Troy Smith hopefully falls to the second round and we get him.

Our defense is really playing well with a bunch of young guys and a bunch of starters out. At the end of that game we were playing our #1, #4, and #5 corners with Lewis Sanders, Demarcus Faggins, and you can even count Chris McKenzie in there even though we haven't seen much of him. And on top of that we've got 4 DL out. And they're still playing well. Our defense will be strong next year. It's time to focus on offense.

I think we're a QB and a RB away from being a very competitive team.

gameguy89
12-10-2006, 06:45 PM
My prediction:

Ohio State falls back by 17 points in the third quarter vs. Florida

Troy Smith leads them back for a win and a national title.

*checks message board*

DRAFT TROY SMITH
TROY SMITH IS GOD
GOODBYE DAVID CARR
BETTER THAN VINCE?!

Oh God. :hides:

TheRealJoker
12-10-2006, 06:46 PM
Does anyone care about building a top 16 o-line?

The Dude Abides
12-10-2006, 06:47 PM

That's ridiculous.

TexansFanatic
12-10-2006, 06:48 PM
Troy Smith is nowhere near Vince Young.

It's not close.

Took the words right out of my mouth. A Vince Young comes along once in a lifetime, if that often. Troy Smith isn't close.

IshouldbeGM
12-10-2006, 06:48 PM
whoever said the texans dont want the face of the franchise to be a black qb is an *****! their best player is black, so is their 2nd and 3rd...well all of their best players are black! dont bring racism into the argument plz.

Mr. White
12-10-2006, 06:49 PM

I'm with you. We need Joe Thomas in a bad way.

TexansFanatic
12-10-2006, 06:49 PM
That's ridiculous.

Agreed. Ridiculous.

GuerillaBlack
12-10-2006, 06:51 PM
Our O-Line is bad because of injuries. If we can't get Benson from Chicago, we should try and picC up someone in free agency. Maybe we can try and pull in Rhodes from Indy.

threetoedpete
12-10-2006, 06:51 PM
I do...been banging that first round drum for five years. I feel like a prophet in the desert. Where the heck is that honey and bugs at ?

I guess seeing the smurf getting crushed behind our line would make much beter entertainment than seeing the west coast guy getting crushed ? Good Grief.

Maybe they make up the diff by selling Smith Voo-Doo dolls with the pins included. Bring them to the game, fun for the whole family.

TexanFan881
12-10-2006, 06:52 PM

We can get quality offensive lineman in the later rounds. We don't need to spend a pick early on one. This draft will be deep with offensive lineman. We got two solid lineman in Eric Winston and Charles Spencer in the third round. I think we got there again in the third and fourth rounds again this year. But I would be disappointed to use a pick on a lineman in the first round when we have a shot to get someone like Adrian Peterson.

GuerillaBlack
12-10-2006, 06:53 PM
Also, why not try and get Ladell Betts from Washington if Benson from Chicago, or Rhodes from Indy is not possible.

Sportsfan
12-10-2006, 06:53 PM

Like a few others have said, thats ridiculous. The owner(s)/management might be biased towards "good guys" but in NO way do I think they are racist.

Mr. White
12-10-2006, 06:55 PM
Also, why not try and get Ladell Betts from Washington if Benson from Chicago, or Rhodes from Indy is not possible.

The Skins extended Betts last week.

Yankee_In_TX
12-10-2006, 06:56 PM
Don't get me wrong, Troy is my boy, but he's going to the Browns :(

TexansFanatic
12-10-2006, 06:56 PM
We can get quality offensive lineman in the later rounds. We don't need to spend a pick early on one. This draft will be deep with offensive lineman. We got two solid lineman in Eric Winston and Charles Spencer in the third round. I think we got there again in the third and fourth rounds again this year. But I would be disappointed to use a pick on a lineman in the first round when we have a shot to get someone like Adrian Peterson.

Don't make the mistake of thinking O-linemen aren't worth super high draft picks. Some great teams have been built by patiently building through the draft taking superior offensive linemen at top 5 spots....

The Oilers of the late 80's and early 90's were built this way. That team never won the Super Bowl as we all are so painfully aware, but they did have a long run of playoff appearances...

Napa Auto Parts
12-10-2006, 07:00 PM
whoever said the texans dont want the face of the franchise to be a black qb is an *****! their best player is black, so is their 2nd and 3rd...well all of their best players are black! dont bring racism into the argument plz.

i said the face of the franchise meaning the QB i never ever in my life stated no black players in general:stirpot:

Mr. White
12-10-2006, 07:00 PM

Franchise LT's don't come around all that often. When they do, they usually go in the first round.

Joe Thomas is just what the doctor ordered.

TheRealJoker
12-10-2006, 07:02 PM
Our O-Line is bad because of injuries.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!! So I guess our actual starters have been injured ever since we actually became a team?

Also, for the guy who said we can get o-lineman in the later rounds. You can get pretty much any player in the later rounds. Check out which o-lineman go to the pro bowl every year. More often than not it is gonna be a 1st round o-lineman, and there is a reason to that.

There are quality players to be had in every round in the draft, heck even out of the draft undrafted guys can step up and become big time players. But in the 1st round the safe way to go is o-line, something we've never decided to draft in the 1st in our five year history. Maybe that's a reason our o-line is less than stellar?

Grid
12-10-2006, 07:05 PM
in regards to the "he's not vince young" comments.. please, lets not turn VY into a god.

We need to replace Carr..best way to do that is to draft a young QB and let Kubiak groom him. Thats gonna be difficult to do if yall sit around pining for vince like a gaggle of 13 year old girls.

Specnatz
12-10-2006, 07:05 PM

Race should not be in a discussion. It is so far beyond amazing that anyone could even post this.

Neg Rep for even posting this.

ToroRojo
12-10-2006, 07:06 PM
A Vince Young comes along once in a lifetime. He was a badass at Madison, a badass at UT, and he is turning into a badass in Tenessee The asinine and myopic management of the Texans has managed to garner fans for the franchise that left us in the cold while alienating there own fan base. Perhaps the most disturbing aspect of the situation is that a man of McNair's apparent business acumen could not make the simplest decision for his own franchise. I am convinced that McNair choose Carr and certainly Casserly didn't admit any fault. The Texans will surely improve under Kubiak, who is a fine coach and mind, but unfortunately they will be doing so while watching a hometown and state hero explode in the NFL as it's biggest star. This a wound so deep that I wonder if the Texans will be able to mend it or make the rest of the nation forget their ignorance.

And for all of you who denigrated and disparaged Vince Young, well, I'll let VY handle you twice a year for the next 15. I feel bad for the players of Houston, who right now are wondering what if they had drafted Vince Young? I suppose we are left with a similar query ourselves and the answer is painfully obvious.

BTW, Troy Smith is a fine quarterback, but VY is special beyond measure.

Grid
12-10-2006, 07:08 PM
A Vince Young comes along once in a lifetime. He was a badass at Madison, a badass at UT, and he is turning into a badass in Tenessee The asinine and myopic management of the Texans has managed to garner fans for the franchise that left us in the cold while alienating there own fan base. Perhaps the most disturbing aspect of the situation is that a man of McNair's apparent business acumen could not make the simplest decision for his own franchise. I am convinced that McNair choose Carr and certainly Casserly didn't admit any fault. The Texans will surely improve under Kubiak, who is a fine coach and mind, but unfortunately they will be doing so while watching a hometown and state hero explode in the NFL as it's biggest star. This a wound so deep that I wonder if the Texans will be able to mend it or make the rest of the nation forget their ignorance.

And for all of you who denigrated and disparaged Vince Young, well, I'll let VY handle you twice a year for the next 15. I feel bad for the players of Houston, who right now are wondering what if they had drafted Vince Young/ I suppose we are left with a similar query ourselves.

I bet you wake up in a cold sweat every night, thinking about all the minutes that go by without Vince Young holding you in his manly embrace.

threetoedpete
12-10-2006, 07:11 PM
Our O-Line is bad because of injuries. If we can't get Benson from Chicago, we should try and picC up someone in free agency. Maybe we can try and pull in Rhodes from Indy.

Our o-line is bad because they reached on no tallent fa's for five years. Would that be free agents like Tucker, Wade and Boselli ?

So I don't have to post again...look up the late rounds. You've got two and a half guys over five years that are decent via the draft. I mean I know there's a new sheriff in town, but don't ya think the 75% attrition rate with this club on o-lineman has anything to do with taking the crap shoot guys on day two of the draft ? Just saying there. What ya think ? Maybe...maybe might have something to do with it ? Maybe the reason this o-line suxs so bad ? Just might be the tallent level of the guys ? Maybe ?

Grid
12-10-2006, 07:14 PM
There are more starting linemen in this league that were taken on day 2 of the draft, than on day 1.

Olinemen are a 2nd day pick. LTs are first day picks.

threetoedpete
12-10-2006, 07:17 PM

Yeah maybe Earl will come out of retirement. When are you guys going to get it ? One cut and go. Period. If he lived with this group, he's not going to throw away picks on someone elses garbage.

threetoedpete
12-10-2006, 07:18 PM
There are more starting linemen in this league that were taken on day 2 of the draft, than on day 1.

Olinemen are a 2nd day pick. LTs are first day picks.

So where are ours ?

Grid
12-10-2006, 07:19 PM
Betts re-signed with Washington. Benson is Ricky Williams reborn, and Rhodes... well.. Indi doesnt have a very hot running game as it is, I dont want thier backup.. he isnt likely to be better than who we have.

Fact of the matter is Dayne Gado and Lundy arent a bad trio.. given that they have a line to run behind. Lundy has shown a lack of vision lately though.

Grid
12-10-2006, 07:20 PM
So where are ours ?

As you said.. we wasted our time signing worthless FAs for 3 years.

Spencer and Winston are the first of our 2nd day olinemen.

ToroRojo
12-10-2006, 07:24 PM
I bet you wake up in a cold sweat every night, thinking about all the minutes that go by without Vince Young holding you in his manly embrace.

Grid, I cannot deny that I have a man crush on VY. But so does every other jackass that likes playmakers, leaders, winners, champions, hometown heroes, and official badasses. BTW, I usually don't wake up in a cold sweat when I think about VY, it's more like a warm, fuzzy feeling in his embrace; like a security blanket. Could have done the same for you, if only he were a Texan.

TheRealJoker
12-10-2006, 07:27 PM

By 2nd day dont you mean 1st day?

threetoedpete
12-10-2006, 07:30 PM

I don't mind them taking flyers on guys. However, I think this club has reached critcal mass. The time to gamble on guys is pretty much gone. I agree on interior guys and centers. I believe OLT is still a critacal need. Winston looked just fine today. He's going to get beat some till he gets up to speed. TBS, with this group that is on the board...and I know Thomas is gone by the time we pick...I think it is foolish to see them all go off the board again. We wait untill the third ...too much luck for my tastes. We were damned lucky at 65 & 66 last year.

ToroRojo
12-10-2006, 07:32 PM
We definitely need help on the oline and in the secondary. The draft this year was excellent, but it kills me we lost Spencer at LT. Thomas might be gone, but if we continue our current play, anybody might be available.

GuerillaBlack
12-10-2006, 07:33 PM
I still think Troy SMith would be a great first round picC up.

rmartin65
12-10-2006, 07:33 PM
If he is there in the second, possibly. I would not trade any players to get him, and I would not take him in the first. But in the second, maybe. I think he is a better passer than Young.

Grid
12-10-2006, 08:24 PM
By 2nd day dont you mean 1st day?

Good point. What i meant was that 3rd round and later are the "Olinemen rounds".. i was in a hurry to finish my post and didnt think it through, I was classifying all of those picks as "second day"..and obviously, the 3rd round is on the first day :D.

The time to gamble on guys is pretty much gone.

Fact of the matter is that you are probably gambling just as much on any Olineman you pick up in FA. You dont find good olinemen in free agency very often, and if you do, they are usually ancient. People dont let good olinemen go. There are those rare occurances though, like that Guard from Seattle that Minnesota signed last offseason.. but you saw how much of a fiasco that was.

All the best Olines in the league are home grown. You draft your own talent (again, mostly 3rd-7th round picks) and you groom them over the course of a couple seasons.

GuerillaBlack
12-10-2006, 09:02 PM
Like Spencer and Winston.

GuerillaBlack
12-10-2006, 09:19 PM
Why do some of you think Troy will drop to the second round? I think he will be picCed in the first by the Texans.

YoungTexanFan
12-10-2006, 10:46 PM

This folks, is the kind of Texan fan who would cut off their nose to spite their face. We can't get quality linemen who can start now in the later rounds. When Denver employs this draft stratagy, it is because they have veteren starters who are going to play for a few years before those late round picks see the field. Eric Winston is not playing well and will probally be moved to guard, and nobody has an honest idea if Spencer will ever play football again, let alone LT. Why would you be disappointed if we finally plugged a gaping hole that has been present for 5 years in favor of a RB who has yet to stay healthy for a 10 game college schedule? Why would you be disapointed to have a standing QB or even the resemblance of a running game?

threetoedpete
12-10-2006, 10:52 PM
Why do some of you think Troy will drop to the second round? I think he will be picCed in the first by the Texans.

Because he's six foot tall. No one...Not even Cleveland ...is going to throw several million dollars a year at a six foot smurf QB. TBS...his speed gives him a chance to make it. You guys haven't even seen him throw the Duke yet and you've already got him climing up the boards into a top ten pick. Need to slow down a bit is all. He looks good at the combine and Mr McNair wants to throw 10 million at the QB position in '07...I guess I'm on board. Ten million is an aweful big wall is all I know. IMHO this club has much bigger fish to fry. Pun intended.

YoungTexanFan
12-10-2006, 10:54 PM

Ok, I know spelling isn't my forte, but it is "picked."

Thanks.

:ok:

Texans Horror
12-10-2006, 11:00 PM
Troy Smith would be a great addition to the team, especially if you are grooming out Carr. But I don't think it would happen. I think Kubiak wants one more year with him, especially a year where he isn't behind a depleted line. I could see Benson coming here, if he didn't have so many off-the-field issues. The Texans front office doesn't care for off-the-field issues, and I applaud them. It makes getting the high-caliber team a harder goal, but it is something that can still be achieved. I think a center and a safety/cornerback are the big needs, and in fact, I could see a lot of happy longhorn fans when the Texans pick up Aaron Ross in the first round.

YoungTexanFan
12-10-2006, 11:01 PM
Troy Smith would be a great addition to the team, especially if you are grooming out Carr. But I don't think it would happen. I think Kubiak wants one more year with him, especially a year where he isn't behind a depleted line. I could see Benson coming here, if he didn't have so many off-the-field issues. The Texans front office doesn't care for off-the-field issues, and I applaud them. It makes getting the high-caliber team a harder goal, but it is something that can still be achieved. I think a center and a safety/cornerback are the big needs, and in fact, I could see a lot of happy longhorn fans when the Texans pick up Aaron Ross in the first round.

Ross will be doing well if he goes in the second round, why would we spend a top 10 pick on the guy?

TexanSam
12-10-2006, 11:04 PM

And for all of you who denigrated and disparaged Vince Young, well, I'll let VY handle you twice a year for the next 15. I feel bad for the players of Houston, who right now are wondering what if they had drafted Vince Young? I suppose we are left with a similar query ourselves and the answer is painfully obvious.

Once in a lifetime? More like once every few years. Vince appears to be headed to a fine career, but it's not as if he's going to light the whole NFL world on fire. Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Carson Palmer, etc... they are all very good QBs. Is it possible for VY to be better than all of them? Yes, but he's not going to revolutionize the game. He's a great talent, but he's not a type of guy that comes once in a lifetime. Lawrence Taylor comes once in a lifetime. Not Vince Young.

threetoedpete
12-10-2006, 11:32 PM

You can go back as far as you want to go...ButEVERY player the Texans have picked has been a squeeky clean guy. There as about as far away from Cinci organization as you can get. That is why the Weary deal with the cop was so outrageous. I wasn't there, but my money goes on Fred. I know Fred. I don't know the cop.

Texas_Thrill
12-10-2006, 11:43 PM

Ummmm WHAT?

Troy smith is barely 5'11. Great WR's. He's not a runner. he's a pocket QB who has SOME scrambling ability.

Benson? Big contract. Hasn't shown a ounce of ability to run. Sounds like your making another P-Buc trade. 2nd round????

Janus3
12-11-2006, 02:29 AM
lol, troy smith is going to be an ok qb at best iin the nfl. he'll be lucky if he's not switched to wr. no to taking troy smith or any qb in the first or 2nd round.

Janus3
12-11-2006, 02:32 AM
and if they were going to take a qb early, the obvious is jamarcus russell.

Ckw
12-11-2006, 02:37 AM
Here's my hope: we lose out, get the number one draft pick some how, trade it for two first rounders, and draft joe thomas/laron landry and troy smith

YoungTexanFan
12-11-2006, 07:00 AM
Here's my hope: we lose out, get the number one draft pick some how, trade it for two first rounders, and draft joe thomas/laron landry and troy smith

the problems is that if we were to land #1, which we dont want, the patriots are the only team with two #1's. 23ish and 28ish. That isn't enough value for #1 overall.

YoungTexanFan
12-11-2006, 07:02 AM
and if they were going to take a qb early, the obvious is jamarcus russell.

I'm one of Jamarcus's biggest fans on this MB, but how do you even know he is declaring. He needs one more year of college ball because his pocket presence and "it" factor really haven't been prevelant this year or last year. Those are the knocks on him. He rushes, similar to Carr now, and makes a bad choice. He has all the physical tools like Carr did, but he needs more patience and he needs to work on his overall awareness and presence on the field.

kastofsna
12-11-2006, 07:24 AM
whoever drafts troy smith will be very happy.

JDizzle
12-11-2006, 08:16 AM
Ummmm WHAT?

Troy smith is barely 5'11. Great WR's. He's not a runner. he's a pocket QB who has SOME scrambling ability.

Benson? Big contract. Hasn't shown a ounce of ability to run. Sounds like your making another P-Buc trade. 2nd round????

Smith is listed as 6'. Drew Brees is listed as 6' and he's on the way to another pro bowl this year. So, 6' QB's are not doomed to failure as you imply.

real
12-11-2006, 08:26 AM
whoever drafts troy smith will be very happy.

You seem to be pretty high on Brady Quinn and Troy Smith....

I think both will be good players....But honestly I don't think either is worth a first rounder....I don't think there is a QB in this draft that is worth a first rd. pick....

I like Troy Smith, but I want to see him deal with some adversity(on the field) before I crown him....

And Brady Quinn is way overhyped...period...

mexican_texan
12-11-2006, 08:29 AM
How tall is Drew Brees?

beerlover
12-11-2006, 08:30 AM
one thing for sure the Texans need to address the QB position & move in a different direction :shades:

mexican_texan
12-11-2006, 08:35 AM
one thing for sure the Texans need to address the QB position & move in a different direction :shades:
I think the sun will set today.

GuerillaBlack
12-11-2006, 08:38 AM
Ummmm WHAT?

Andre Johnson, Eric Moulds, and Owen Daniels could be his good recievers. Also, Drew Brees is six foot. He also has over 4,000 passing yards this season. Troy will do fine here, if he comes. Then spend a second rounder on Benson. Benson is a good RB.

GuerillaBlack
12-11-2006, 08:39 AM
Ok, I know spelling isn't my forte, but it is "picked."

Thanks.

:ok:

I do that on purpose.

kastofsna
12-11-2006, 08:40 AM
You seem to be pretty high on Brady Quinn and Troy Smith....

I think both will be good players....But honestly I don't think either is worth a first rounder....I don't think there is a QB in this draft that is worth a first rd. pick....

I like Troy Smith, but I want to see him deal with some adversity(on the field) before I crown him....

And Brady Quinn is way overhyped...period...
brady quinn is a prototypical QB. and he has tons of success in a pro-style system already. a 35/5 ratio is absurd. he may be "overhyped" but so is any notre dame QB. clearly deserving of a top 10 pick. all the tools, all the intangibles.

smith's only knock is height. other than that, he's a franchise QB. strong arm, accurate, makes great decisions, GREAT at improvisation when the play breaks down, great outside of the pocket, and he plays in a pro-style, balanced offense to boot. he has two good receivers, but he still manages to deal the ball around to everyone. he doesn't focus on one guy. really no reason at all to think he won't succeed in the NFL.

mexican_texan
12-11-2006, 08:41 AM
Just one question....how often is Troy Smith in the shotgun? Kubiak does not like using the shotgun formation.

real
12-11-2006, 08:47 AM
smith's only knock is height. other than that, he's a franchise QB. strong arm, accurate, makes great decisions, GREAT at improvisation when the play breaks down, great outside of the pocket, and he plays in a pro-style, balanced offense to boot. he has two good receivers, but he still manages to deal the ball around to everyone. he doesn't focus on one guy. really no reason at all to think he won't succeed in the NFL.

I'm not going to comment on Quinn, because I don't have any real reason other than a gut feeling that he is not going to be that good on the next level....I look at his eyes and he doesn't look like a QB that I'd want leading me on the field...

I think Smith is a better QB than Quinn, but like I said, I don't know how he is going to deal with adversity on the next level...It's easy to play when you have the best of the best around you, and things are pretty much always going your way....But I would like to see him play with his back against the wall....I think his head is in the right place, I love his throwing ability, good mobility....BUT the very same thing could have been said about a lot of QB's that weren't too good in the pros....

I think he can have success, but he's going to have to be in the right situation...

real
12-11-2006, 08:49 AM
Just one question....how often is Troy Smith in the shotgun? Kubiak does not like using the shotgun formation.

I don't know....But if you are a player, it shouldn't matter where they want you to line up...

kastofsna
12-11-2006, 08:54 AM
I think Smith is a better QB than Quinn, but like I said, I don't know how he is going to deal with adversity on the next level...It's easy to play when you have the best of the best around you, and things are pretty much always going your way....But I would like to see him play with his back against the wall....I think his head is in the right place, I love his throwing ability, good mobility....BUT the very same thing could have been said about a lot of QB's that weren't too good in the pros....
he's dealt with nothing BUT adversity his entire career.

real
12-11-2006, 08:56 AM
he's dealt with nothing BUT adversity his entire career.

Off the field adversity is not what I'm talking about...

Im talking about being an underdog and beating a team that is supposed to maul you....

Im talking about bringing your team back from a sizeable deficit....

Those types of things.....

kastofsna
12-11-2006, 09:19 AM
well neither young or leinart had that. can't say it's hurting them.

JDizzle
12-11-2006, 09:43 AM
Off the field adversity is not what I'm talking about...

Im talking about being an underdog and beating a team that is supposed to maul you....

Im talking about bringing your team back from a sizeable deficit....

Those types of things.....

I think Smith was an underdog when he first got to OSU. He was returning kicks and playing RB. I don't think many expected him to beat out the golden boy Zwick and then lead the buckeyes to a championship after winning the Heisman. He's had a pretty amazing run at OSU.

real
12-11-2006, 09:43 AM
well neither young or leinart had that. can't say it's hurting them.

What?!

Im not going to honor that comment with a response.

real
12-11-2006, 09:46 AM
I think Smith was an underdog when he first got to OSU. He was returning kicks and playing RB. I don't think many expected him to beat out the golden boy Zwick and then lead the buckeyes to a championship after winning the Heisman. He's had a pretty amazing run at OSU.

I don't mean that kind of pressure....And that's not even really pressure...

Im talking about being down and having to lead your team back, or being in a close game and having to make one play that seals the deal....

I've yet to see Smith do this...Quinn, yes...Smith, No....

kastofsna
12-11-2006, 09:47 AM
What?!

Im not going to honor that comment with a response.
well, it's true. both had great talent around them and were never a real underdog and had to make a huge comeback or anything. sure, texas was an underdog to USC, but they were a better team, so just because the public felt that way doesn't make it accurate.

real
12-11-2006, 09:51 AM
well, it's true. both had great talent around them and were never a real underdog and had to make a huge comeback or anything. sure, texas was an underdog to USC, but they were a better team, so just because the public felt that way doesn't make it accurate.

Leinart was a beast for two years strong....He also had close games where he had to make game winning drives, and game winning plays...(Notre Dame is one that comes to mind) Smith has never been in this situation and won....

I can name numerous accounts of VY showing up, and I really never thought I'd be debating VY's clutch ability VS. Troy Smith's .....There really is no contest when it comes to making big plays in big games when comparing Smith vs VY or ML....I really don't see how you can argue that...

kastofsna
12-11-2006, 09:58 AM
he hasn't made as may as leinart or young obviously, but he's made his share.

doesn't bother me though.

Mr. White
12-11-2006, 10:20 AM
I'm not going to comment on Quinn, because I don't have any real reason other than a gut feeling that he is not going to be that good on the next level....I look at his eyes and he doesn't look like a QB that I'd want leading me on the field...

I see Quinn being another David Carr. Good measurables, not much instinct.

ubecool454
12-11-2006, 11:37 AM

Ladell betts just ressigned for 11 million.

kastofsna
12-11-2006, 12:07 PM
I see Quinn being another David Carr. Good measurables, not much instinct.
well, carr's lack of instinct can be attributed to the offense he played in college. at least quinn is battle-tested in a pro-style offense.

Meloy
12-11-2006, 03:24 PM
Don't get me wrong, Troy is my boy, but he's going to the Browns :(Houston & Cleveland have same record. If tied, who drafts first?

Janus3
12-11-2006, 03:45 PM
troy smith will not be a good nfl qb.

Ckw
12-11-2006, 03:49 PM
the problems is that if we were to land #1, which we dont want, the patriots are the only team with two #1's. 23ish and 28ish. That isn't enough value for #1 overall.

Good, educated reply. Honestly, I'm not a hige Troy Smith fan but I think one thing we have learned is heart plays a big part. A so-so athlete with a lot of heart can do a lot. You can have all the talent in the world but if you don't have any heart, you're not going to be a winner. Troy Smith has heart and has shown he has talent. Can this be a good formula for the Texans?

Texansfan36
12-11-2006, 03:50 PM
troy smith will not be a good nfl qb.

And why not?

threetoedpete
12-11-2006, 03:53 PM
Houston & Cleveland have same record. If tied, who drafts first?

Whoever looses the last game...gets the pick. Dec. 31st

GuerillaBlack
12-11-2006, 04:04 PM

Whoever had the tougher schedule.

kastofsna
12-11-2006, 07:24 PM
Whoever had the tougher schedule.
the exact opposite actually. the weaker the schedule, the higher the pick.

TexansLucky13
12-11-2006, 07:34 PM
the exact opposite actually. the weaker the schedule, the higher the pick.

Yep. The team that sucks the worst against the suckiest of teams.

Grid
12-11-2006, 07:36 PM
yah id like to know why Troy Smith wont be a good NFL QB.

Yankee_In_TX
12-11-2006, 07:46 PM
Whoever looses the last game...gets the pick. Dec. 31st

Anyone having flashbacks of last year?

What shall we call this one? The Smith bowl or the Peterson bowl?

Yankee_In_TX
12-11-2006, 07:47 PM
yah id like to know why Troy Smith wont be a good NFL QB.

Other than his height I have no idea. I think he is guaranteed to be slightly above average as an NFL QB. Whether he does more is on him.

Carr Bombed
12-11-2006, 08:03 PM
Other than his height I have no idea. I think he is guaranteed to be slightly above average as an NFL QB. Whether he does more is on him.

That would actually be a upgrade

Grid
12-11-2006, 08:17 PM
the way I see it.. if we get a guy with all the intangibles (leadership, instinct), and a good measure of the athleticism (footspeed, arm strength, accuracy)

Then Kubiak can make him a star. I have alot of faith in Kubiaks ability to make a QB good.. and I dont see why a guy like Troy Smith wouldnt shine under his tutalege.

kingh99
12-11-2006, 08:21 PM
Riddle me this.
Why we gotta take the little man
When we coulda had the big man?
Just saying.

No, if we can't get VY, I want the next great one and am
willing to wait a season before drafting or signing him as a
free agent. Brady Quinn does nothing for me, as does Smith
No way I spend a high pick on a QBwith where this team is.
If the Texans had a good QBthis year, I say a few of these
last minute loses turn into wins and we are singing an entirely
different tune here. This team, believe it or not, is not that
far off from being at least respectable. How many games were
they ahead late? Easily a 500 team, albeit a weak one.

Grid
12-11-2006, 08:23 PM
The key word is "coulda".. cant get VY now, so why pine over him?

Who is the next great one that we would be waiting a year for?

trutexan02
12-11-2006, 08:25 PM
I don't see any OL that warrant first round selections at this point either but the say that we have solid lineman in Winston (who got manhandled by Burgess two weeks ago) and Spencer who has like half a game of experience is a bit of a stretch. I think a second round pick on OL is nessecary but this years draft seems a little less clear cut than last year for sure. I'm for a young, strong running Adrian Peterson in round one and a strong OL in round two and QB in round three.

trutexan02
12-11-2006, 08:30 PM
The lions pick first. Kitna is no long term solution there. They takea QB with # one for sure. Troy Smith will the the popular pick.

Carr Bombed
12-11-2006, 08:32 PM
The key word is "coulda".. cant get VY now, so why pine over him?

Who is the next great one that we would be waiting a year for?

Colt McCoy........obviously DUH!!!!!!! 2 years from now

gg no re
12-11-2006, 08:36 PM
Give me 21 years, and you will have your god QB.

Grid
12-11-2006, 09:03 PM
The lions pick first. Kitna is no long term solution there. They takea QB with # one for sure. Troy Smith will the the popular pick.

Notre Dame is pretty close to Detroit too.

aj.
12-11-2006, 09:09 PM
I haven't read any posts in this thread - just the title. I hope there aren't any Troy/Vince comparisons in here because few would be valid.

Grid
12-11-2006, 09:12 PM
eh.. I think that most have said that Troy is like VY.. but a better passer, and a worse physical speciman.

Thats the readers digest version anyway.

What are your thoughts on Troy Smith as a prospect aj?

beerlover
12-11-2006, 09:30 PM
Troy Smith will play in the NFL for some team :shades:

bah007
12-11-2006, 09:34 PM
eh.. I think that most have said that Troy is like VY.. but a better passer, and a worse physical speciman.

Thats the readers digest version anyway.

What are your thoughts on Troy Smith as a prospect aj?

Smith is a great player but he just doesnt compare to Young.

He isnt a better passer. He does put better touch on the ball but he doesnt looks as accurate.

Of course he is a worse physical speciman. No QB compares to VY in that area, not even Michael Vick in my opinion.

That said, I think he will be a very good QB, but Young was one of the greatest college QBs ever. Smith doesnt compare to that.

texaslifter
12-12-2006, 04:28 AM
Smith is a -great- quarterback. His running style is not the same as Vince's - for sure - but hes every bit as solid. The only thing that Troy Smith doesn't have in my opinion is the history of COMEBACK wins. Theres a swagger you get from those kind of wins, that simply cannot be learned without having lived it. I think it would be a huge mistake to not take Troy Smith, he is very elusive in the pocket while keeping his eyes open down the field, and he has the arm to make every throw required of him. He was nearly flawless his senior season on a team that was good, but not great minus his play. Literally, he was the difference maker for OSU the way VY was for Texas the year previous. I think its imperative we get him.

El Tejano
12-12-2006, 12:10 PM
If they didn't take Troy Smith out of the game last year against UT in Ohio, OSU wins.

I agree with taking Smith if he falls to us in the 2nd but we are talking about a front office that didn't want to announce players names for fear of what it might do for David Carr and Mario Williams.

They will feel that if they take Troy Smith it might make them look as if they are admitting they were wrong about Carr and will freak out about people still saying you should've got Vince.

bah007
12-12-2006, 12:13 PM
If they didn't take Troy Smith out of the game last year against UT in Ohio, OSU wins.

Prove it.

mexican_texan
12-12-2006, 12:34 PM
I've been saying Troy Smith is better than VY since the UT-OSU game where OSU had Smith on the bench for a while. Smith had the ability to win the game for OSU, had he played QB the whole game.

kastofsna
12-12-2006, 01:09 PM
no doubt in my mind that OSU would've probably won that game had smith played all 4 quarters. zwick made some bad mistakes.

Janus3
12-12-2006, 04:49 PM
And why not?

he'll be playing wr.

Janus3
12-12-2006, 04:51 PM

I agree with taking Smith if he falls to us in the 2nd but we are talking about a front office that didn't want to announce players names for fear of what it might do for David Carr and Mario Williams.

They will feel that if they take Troy Smith it might make them look as if they are admitting they were wrong about Carr and will freak out about people still saying you should've got Vince.

they didn't take smith out, zwick started, smith came in and owned the slow UT defense, vince "i only show up in the 4th quarter" young had one good drive in the 4th which turned out to be the game winner. i agree if smith played the whole game osu beats UT pretty handedly.

bah007
12-12-2006, 04:55 PM
they didn't take smith out, zwick started, smith came in and owned the slow UT defense, vince "i only show up in the 4th quarter" young had one good drive in the 4th which turned out to be the game winner. i agree if smith played the whole game osu beats UT pretty handedly.

At least Young score the winning TD in the 4th quarter.

All Smith did was get sacked for a safety.

Janus3
12-12-2006, 05:06 PM
At least Young score the winning TD in the 4th quarter.

All Smith did was get sacked for a safety.

all i'm saying is if smith would've started the whole game young's td would've been irrelevant, and that is the general consensus.

bah007
12-12-2006, 06:25 PM
all i'm saying is if smith would've started the whole game young's td would've been irrelevant, and that is the general consensus.

Prove it. Thats' not general consensus from people I talk to.

texaslifter
12-12-2006, 07:05 PM

Don't bother listening to anything this guy says. He doesn't know what hes talking about

GuerillaBlack
12-13-2006, 03:17 PM
I've been saying Troy Smith is better than VY since the UT-OSU game where OSU had Smith on the bench for a while. Smith had the ability to win the game for OSU, had he played QB the whole game.

Agreed here. I think we need to have Troy Smith be our QB this season. We could test him in the pre-season. What do we do with Carr? Either trade him, or have Troy as a back-up (so if Carr keeps falling short, we put in Troy Smith).

Sportsfan
12-13-2006, 04:25 PM
Bottom line is, nobody knows anything until the offseason starts. Everything at this point is useless banter, hopes, theories, and pure speculation.

Janus3
12-14-2006, 04:34 AM
Prove it. Thats' not general consensus from people I talk to.

i'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume you talk to UT fans.

Janus3
12-14-2006, 04:35 AM
Don't bother listening to anything this guy says. He doesn't know what hes talking about

lol, UT showed how fast they were last year when they got outplayed by USC's offense huh? that blinding speed only allowed 38 pts.

Janus3
12-14-2006, 04:37 AM
Obviously, we're going to trade down to the middle of the first to take Smith, unless he has a godawful National Championship game, in which case, he may be there for us in the second.

What makes me laugh is the crew saying DON'T TAKE TROY SMITH!!!! who are saying to get Kolb in the second round.

smith WILL be a second rounder no matter what, at the earliest late 1st. kolb will most likely go third. i'd prefer kolb over smith anyways since kolb has better mechanics.

TheIz
12-14-2006, 07:02 AM
Agreed here. I think we need to have Troy Smith be our QB this season. We could test him in the pre-season. What do we do with Carr? Either trade him, or have Troy as a back-up (so if Carr keeps falling short, we put in Troy Smith).

I have a feeling Carr will be traded for a 2nd round pick (to someone who wants potential with experience rather than a rookie QB), giving the Texans the option of either moving back up into the first (to pick whoever - maybe Smith if he's still around) or using the extra pick on another need (there are a LOT after all:-). I haven't seen much of Smith but from what i have he looks pretty good, a fighter and a winner......

aj.
12-14-2006, 07:08 AM
I have a feeling Carr will be traded for a 2nd round pick (to someone who wants potential with experience rather than a rookie QB), giving the Texans the option of either moving back up into the first (to pick whoever - maybe Smith if he's still around) or using the extra pick on another need (there are a LOT after all:-). I haven't seen much of Smith but from what i have he looks pretty good, a fighter and a winner......

The market for Carr is more like what Miami paid for Harrington last year (5th rounder, correct?). Plus, a trade is easier said than done. Some team is going to have to be willing to take on $11.25 million that's still on Carr's contract at the end of this season. When teams hear that the Texan's are dangling Carr (if that becomes the case), they will just wait until he's released so they can sign him at a cheaper rate. That, or the Texans will just hang on to him for one more season to burn down the dollars. Carr will cost $5.3 to cut or trade and $7-something to keep.

real
12-14-2006, 08:32 AM
If Harrington tendered a 5th we can atleast get a 4th for Carr.....Seeing as how his stats are going to look all nice and pretty....

kastofsna
12-14-2006, 08:37 AM
no one thinks of carr as a huge bust like harrington. there's no doubt that carr would fetch a first day pick.

Heywood
12-14-2006, 09:24 AM

thank you for saying this- i've suspected it all along. mcnair plays the white republican FOCA card at every turn and the second kubiak got to town he seemed to start playing it too.

Honoring Earl 34
12-14-2006, 09:27 AM
Black is beautiful throwing TDs .

Haams
12-14-2006, 09:28 AM
OK, I'll be "that guy." I like Troy and all, but it would just be too painfull if we took him. I lobbied hard for Vince, and it was 90% of the posters on here who scoffed at the idea because they had Reggie's dangler so far down their throat they couldn't see past the ESPN report. Now folks are starting to think, WOW a mobile quarterback with a great arm and leadership abilities would be an asset to this team. Now these same short-sighted schmucks are scrambling to find the closest replacement they can for the diamond we discarded. I'LL TELL YOU I CAN'T TAKE IT! Don't make me suffer through season after season of having to endure Troy v. Vince crap. Are you people gluttons for punishment? Is it not enough that our team gets their asses served to them every sunday? The only way I am getting by right now is assuming the franchise has a grand genius plan that I am too stupid to see coming together. A plan that involves passing over a hometown superstar, trading up to draft a guy who nobody wanted (Babin), trading away our pick so we could have the right to cut Buchanon, getting confused on draft day and instead of calling Derek Johnson we say "Travis"...

RISE UP FANS. Join me in saying enough is enough. This is Texas dammit. We can play second fiddle in a lot of things. But football? Ah well, what can you do? This is the same city that didn't draft Jordan. At least Houston can be known as the town that snubs the best.

Honoring Earl 34
12-14-2006, 09:29 AM
I think by admitting they screwed up is progress .

kastofsna
12-14-2006, 09:42 AM
yeah, don't draft troy smith because there will be comparisons to vince young.

Ryan
12-14-2006, 08:40 PM
Hey, I'm not going to say drafting Mario Williams is a mistake. I like the thought of building a strong defense...we need to help DeMeco and Mario and Dunta out quite a bit though. Weaver was a nice addition but we also need some help in the secondary. Getting a QB capable of throwing deep and leading WR's is a big need too. Troy Smith, despite being shorter than Vince Young, has the ability to pass the freakin' ball and make good choices. He may not be the running threat that Vince is, but he's smart and mobile enough to move when need be.

It's not about Troy vs. Vince though...it's about Troy vs. David Carr and five years of futility.

Oh yeah...get some more O-Line depth too.

no disagreements here

valleytexfan
12-17-2006, 08:38 PM
Who do you want? A. Peterson? T. Smith? Joe Thomas?

Grid
12-17-2006, 08:40 PM
JaMarcus Russell is at the top of my "QB Candidates" list.

Peterson would be....interesting... but I dont see it as the best pick for this team.

If we dont take a QB in the top 10 (which, its questionable if there are any QBs worthy of a top 10 pick this year.. but ya never know what could happen by draft day), but..if we dont take a QB in the top 10..then im for trading down and addressing secondary. There are some good CBs/Safteys that will be available in the mid to late first round.

valleytexfan
12-17-2006, 08:40 PM
Thanks mods.
Seriously, is Troy Smith who we want? Suggestions?

mexican_texan
12-17-2006, 08:41 PM
JaMarcus Russell.

TexanSam
12-17-2006, 08:42 PM
Who do you want? A. Peterson? T. Smith? Joe Thomas?

Out of those 3, Peterson. Running backs drafted in the 1st round usually have the biggest impact. I don't want to draft a rookie LT, I'm hoping the Texans sign one in FA who's already proven he has what it takes to succeed. I really like Troy Smith, but unless we trade up to the middle to late 1st round, I don't think we'll be able to draft him. I'd be somewhat surprised if he fell to the 2nd round.

Grid
12-17-2006, 08:46 PM
there wont be any quality LTs to sign in FA...never are.

we will need to create our own LT.

mexican_texan
12-17-2006, 08:59 PM
there wont be any quality LTs to sign in FA...never are.

we will need to create our own LT.
Charles Spencer, OG. A man barely alive. Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic LT. Charles Spencer will be that man. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Ole Miss Texan
12-17-2006, 09:04 PM
If Joe Peterson is there when we draft, we HAVE to take him.

I like Peterson a lot but am really concerned about his injuries. I would hate for us to draft him and have him out every year, even if it is for a few games.

Troy Smith I would not take unless we got a heck of a trade down or he was there for us in the 2nd. I would then have him sit a year and make a few appearances through the season but not start.

Joe Thomas. Next year pick up McFadden. that would be good!

mexican_texan
12-17-2006, 09:08 PM
If Joe Peterson is there when we draft, we HAVE to take him.

I like Peterson a lot but am really concerned about his injuries. I would hate for us to draft him and have him out every year, even if it is for a few games.

Troy Smith I would not take unless we got a heck of a trade down or he was there for us in the 2nd. I would then have him sit a year and make a few appearances through the season but not start.

Joe Thomas. Next year pick up McFadden. that would be good!
By God, that's genius. Joe Thomas and Adrian Peterson are great apart...but if we fuse them...

B.Diddy
12-17-2006, 09:21 PM
I say Troy Smith with our first ( or jamarcus Russell) the Best DB available with our second, and Dillard from rice with our third,

Ole Miss Texan
12-17-2006, 09:45 PM
By God, that's genius. Joe Thomas and Adrian Peterson are great apart...but if we fuse them...

haha just reread that. my bad...would be pretty smart though..kinda like Vince Bush..

I meant Joe Thomas.

RotorTrash007
12-17-2006, 09:56 PM
I think you ve alllll got it wrong....Troy Smith... heck no! Hes only good because his team makes him good. Put him with a team like Florida State they would still be in the same boat they are now. I think the guy that we need to be looking at is JaMarcus Russell from LSU.. if he declares himself for the draft. This dude is a perfect prospect... and knowing that Kubiak had Jake Plummer in Denver Im really thinking that Kubiak is going to bring Jake down here because Jake already knows his offense. Im cool with that idea... David Carr... is just not cut out for the NFL. Hes had a while to prove himself and has yet to do it. AS for a RB I dont know where anyone got the idea about Cedric Benson... pffft.... Id rather go with Adrian Peterson. Which isnt going to happen because we ve got some real idiots in management... Im not pissed about them drafting Mario anymore...I ve decided to support the guy... it wasnt his fault that he got drafted first. Id hate to be a first round first pick for a team and know that I wasnt the one that the fans wanted. Loved how Vince made a statement last week....You go Vince!!!

mexican_texan
12-17-2006, 10:02 PM
Leinart had better talent around him. He's a good QB...though he is still surrounded by great talent...except where it counts.

Texas_Thrill
12-18-2006, 12:17 AM
I will say it once and say it again. Troy Smith will be there in the 2nd round where we picks (just b/c we'll be picking so early) but i still would not take him. I think he's a mid to late 2nd rounder.

His height alone is a problem. He's a pocket passer who just happens to have some speed. His mechanics are a bit questionable. Could he be a project for kubes....sure. do i want a project with a 2nd round pick with all of our needs? HELL NO.

Grid
12-18-2006, 01:07 AM
I will say it once and say it again. Troy Smith will be there in the 2nd round where we picks (just b/c we'll be picking so early) but i still would not take him. I think he's a mid to late 2nd rounder.

His height alone is a problem. He's a pocket passer who just happens to have some speed. His mechanics are a bit questionable. Could he be a project for kubes....sure. do i want a project with a 2nd round pick with all of our needs? HELL NO.

While im leaning more towards JaMarcus Russell.. I just wanted to point out that we WANT a project.

Well..not necessarily..but we dont NOT want a project. I think it would greatly benefit us to get a QB that has tremendous upside..and let Kubiak mold him. (JaMarcus Russell is a great example of this type of player).

Honestly I dont know if there is a QB in this draft that can come straight in and start. Maybe Quinn but that isnt 100% either. They are all gonna be projects, the key is to pick the one that has the most upside.. and then take advantage of the fact that our head coach is one of the best QB coaches in the league.

big homey
12-18-2006, 01:10 AM

He is around the same height as Drew Brees. You wouldn't want Drew Brees?

A pocket passer who can make plays with his legs is a good thing.

VY was/is more of a project than Smith would be; he's something that Kubiak can build up from the start instead of having to tear down everything first. This team is more talented than it appears, but there's just a few too many injuries and a lack of cohesion and leadership.

Janus3
12-18-2006, 04:49 AM
if the texans take a qb with one of their first 2 picks they are stupid. they can get a solid veteran qb in FA. there are more problems on the team that need to be addressed other than qb.

kastofsna
12-18-2006, 07:45 AM
Leinart had better talent around him. He's a good QB...though he is still surrounded by great talent...except where it counts.
jamarcus russell is surrounded by a ton of talent, too. ;)

rmartin65
12-18-2006, 01:59 PM
Um...no way Smith makes it past Cleve Land in the second.

Actually they are pretty high on Frye I think.

Oilersfan
12-18-2006, 02:11 PM

Why didn't we draft AJ Hawk over Mario Williams, thats the worst excuse I've heard yet. Get over the racism angle, it's tired.