PDA

View Full Version : I wish the NFL awarded the team to LA instead

Marcus
12-10-2006, 04:51 PM
Seriously, I had a better time on Sundays when we didn't have a team. Not saying to be mean or anything. Just being real honest about how I feel.

I know that you can't turn off being a fan of this team like a switch, but man, if I could, I'd pull it . . in a fricken heartbeat.

It's bad, I mean it is REAL bad, when you can't even enjoy the other NFL games. That's what's really pissing me off more than anything else. I want to watch the other NFL games on TV without having to think of this . . .this . . team . . that I'm actually a "fan" of.

Just plain sick of the weekly frustration. Actually it's not really frustration, it's more like non-enjoyment, or work. A bitter disgusted fan is better than being no fan at all, you say? That's a dumb cliche that has not a ring of truth to it.

And after today . . . I know some of you weren't around here that dark day of the Oilers/Bills choke . . . but now, I'm starting to feel that horrible feeling of resentment creeping in.

Resentment. Maybe that's the 'switch' that I need to pull.

Goldeagle
12-10-2006, 04:52 PM
Eh, play Fantasy football and cheer that team.

I was done this year a couple of games back, but Im a Texan, and every loss sucks, but this is our team and I still support them.

kenneth24
12-10-2006, 04:53 PM
Bad football is still better than no football!

D-ReK
12-10-2006, 04:54 PM

I was done this year a couple of games back, but Im a Texan, and every loss sucks, but this is our team and I still support them.

Just curious, but how is this "our team"? How do you feel any connection to this team? Aside from having "Houston" in their name, what have they done to get us, as fans, to support them and spend money to see them play, buy merchandise, etc?

Reddevil63
12-10-2006, 04:56 PM

Dont get me wrong, i still want them to win, but Im not going to be doing a whole lot of supporting until I see some wins. Not 5 or 6 a season, but consistant wins by people who actually look like they care and know what they are doing. This franchise isnt going to be getting a single penny from me until I see what happens in the offseason and get a sense of where they are going.

gg no re
12-10-2006, 04:57 PM
Better we have a team rather than LA.

There are brighter days ahead. It's just not for LA professional football.

Goldeagle
12-10-2006, 05:00 PM
I understand the frustration you people have, I have it to, but heck at the end of the day, I got great friends, a great family and a nice TV :)

I dont get paid to watch or play like them, so as much as I want them to win and do well I just keep it in perspective.

as far as attachement, I am excited about the direction the team is going. This years Draft (no matter abotu who should have been #1) was great. Demeco, Daniels, and Mario are going to be solid players and I see more wins than last season. Its a new regime and I am going to see what our new GM and Kubiak do with the draft and Free Agents.

Texas_Heat
12-10-2006, 05:02 PM
:wow: ,it's bad when the :fans: start wishing that the team was not here.

Me and :mario2: are still having fun watching this team :marionaner:

Reddevil63
12-10-2006, 05:03 PM
I understand the frustration you people have, I have it to, but heck at the end of the day, I got great friends, a great family and a nice TV :)

I dont get paid to watch or play like them, so as much as I want them to win and do well I just keep it in perspective.

as far as attachement, I am excited about the direction the team is going. This years Draft (no matter abotu who should have been #1) was great. Demeco, Daniels, and Mario are going to be solid players and I see more wins than last season. Its a new regime and I am going to see what our new GM and Kubiak do with the draft and Free Agents.I understand your optimism, but you also have to understand that we have gotten so used to losing, that 5 years later, we are still looking forward to the future. The team has been "heading" in the right direction for a while with no end in sight. Other teams like the Jets and Titans, have been good, bad and then good again while we are sitting on our thumbs waiting for some payoff.

Goldeagle
12-10-2006, 05:09 PM
I understand your optimism, but you also have to understand that we have gotten so used to losing, that 5 years later, we are still looking forward to the future. The team has been "heading" in the right direction for a while with no end in sight. Other teams like the Jets and Titans, have been good, bad and then good again while we are sitting on our thumbs waiting for some payoff.

Ohhh, I understand, I just choose to be optimistic. I am with you, I hope we dont turn into the Browns, but I'll just grill a steak on Sunday, sit back and watch football. We lose, that sucks, but life will go on.

utahmark
12-10-2006, 05:10 PM
you may have something interesting to say but this post has the worst title in the history of this mb. so i didnt read it.

Dr. Toro
12-10-2006, 05:11 PM
I'm extremely grateful Mr. McNair shelled out all that money and brought pro football back to Houston... I am extremely disappointed we bungled the Carr option and passed on VY. I haven't been able to get behind Carr since after the Buffalo game in 2005... I feel like a change is needed at the QB position.

They've gotta throw a bone to this city... quit overthinking everything, draft the offensive BPA in the first round and pick up Troy Smith with their next pick. The sad truth is the VY nightmare scenario just played itself out and the Texans won't own the hearts of Houstonians until they get an offensive "superstar" the city can rally around and make the playoffs. It won't be enough to just do either.

txwooley
12-10-2006, 05:19 PM
I've heard it said. "We need to keep it in perspective."

Let me give you a different perspective.

As a former coke-head, I know that weighing euphoria against the serious lows that come when the high runs out will never prevent you from drinking from that trough again.

The same goes for having a pro football team in Houston.
I cried, I laughed, but mostly I yelled. The point is:

No matter how down I get, I want the high of cheering for a hometown winning team again.

No matter how down I get between highs.

eriadoc
12-10-2006, 05:20 PM
From an overhead view, I see how the Texans are making strides and will get better. Each individual loss is frustrating, but when you stop to think about players like Mario, Demeco, Robinson, and Earl, you realize we have some building blocks for defense. And the defense has gotten progressively better throughout the season. On offense, we have AJ and OD, with some nice complementary players in Moulds and even Lundy. They've got some work to do, but it'll come.

By far, the most frustrating thing about being a fan of the Texans is the other "fans". I don't consider Houston a very knowledgeable football city and really not even worthy of professional sports, from a loyalty standpoint. I try and filter that out and support my team through it all anyway.

Marcus
12-10-2006, 06:05 PM
I totally understand putting it all in perspective. I mean, yes, it's just a game. Just a stupid game.

But I'd still like to go back to the days when I could just turn on the TV on Sundays and enjoy a good NFL ballgame for what it is, just a good football game and not really root for either one, except maybe the underdog. And then afterward say, "Wow! Good football game". Like that Cy-Fair/Pearland high school playoff game I went to on Saturday. Didn't go there rooting for either team. Just wanted to see some good football.

Being a "fan" of this team? No enjoyment to that.

Are you all enjoying this? Honestly, are you all enjoying this? Are you having fun?

Napa Auto Parts
12-10-2006, 06:32 PM
sometimes i wish the same i wish LA would of gotten the franchise so they would have The joke david carr:stirpot:

Marcus
12-10-2006, 07:04 PM
I don't see the Oilers/Bills & Oilers/Broncos chokes as being anywhere near the same as five straight years of terrible football.

At least the Oilers showed signs of GLORY!

As much as I HATE to give "him" credit...I think that what "he" really took from Houston when left was the "spirit" of MANY (certainly not all) fans. For me at least, I've never been the same. And I have been to Texans games in person. My son sat in my lap the whole game. It was a TERRIFIC father-son time that I remember. But NOTHING like it was back in the days of the "House of Pain!"

I hope that one day, I'll be able to be a rabid fan of the Texans like I once was for the Oilers.

Glory? Except for few Earl Campbell highlights, I didn't remember that much glory. And the Broncos choke didn't belong in the same ballpark as the Oilers/Bills choke.

That Oilers/Bills choke . . (I absolutely believe this, and I'll take it to my grave believing this) . . . that Oilers/Bills choke . . planted a seed, a seed called apathy. And that apathy grew into indifference and created the "don't let the door hit you on the ass" environment that allowed Bud to move "our beloved" Oilers to Tennessee.

You heard me right. I'm saying if the Oilers had won that game that day . . . the Oilers would still be here, and there wouldn't be such a thing as the Houston Texans or Tennessee Titans.

OOPS! Kinda ran off on a little tangent there, didn't I? :tease:

TexasJedi
12-10-2006, 07:27 PM
Heck no I don't wish LA had gotten this team instead of Houston. For one they would not, in all likelihood, have hired Casserly. That means they probably would have seen more success and then we would lament, wherever we would post because it certainly would not be here since there would be no HoustonTexans.com, how the NFL hated Houston and "gave" the team to LA. Then what, hope for a relocation? It may be bad right now, and yes that is on top of 4 mediocre to bad years, but we do have a team and they will turn it around sooner or later. I'm hoping for sooner.

TexansFanatic
12-10-2006, 07:32 PM
Glory? Except for few Earl Campbell highlights, I didn't remember that much glory. And the Broncos choke didn't belong in the same ballpark as the Oilers/Bills choke.

That Oilers/Bills choke . . (I absolutely believe this, and I'll take it to my grave believing this) . . . that Oilers/Bills choke . . planted a seed, a seed called apathy. And that apathy grew into indifference and created the "don't let the door hit you on the ass" environment that allowed Bud to move "our beloved" Oilers to Tennessee.

You heard me right. I'm saying if the Oilers had won that game that day . . . the Oilers would still be here, and there wouldn't be such a thing as the Houston Texans or Tennessee Titans.

OOPS! Kinda ran off on a little tangent there, didn't I? :tease:

As epic as that day in Buffalo was, it was really only one of many events that resulted in the city of Houston inviting Bud Adams to leave. And as for your point about "what if Houston had won that day"....I would agree if Houston had gone on to win the Super Bowl. One Super Bowl win and the Oilers would still be in Houston, no question.

Hookem Horns
12-10-2006, 07:35 PM
I hope we dont turn into the Browns.

That's an insult to the Browns and their fans. The expansion version has already made the playoffs and their fans were passionate enough to force Modell to leave the name and colors in Cleveland. Outside of a core of diehard Oilers fans, the city in general seemed to care less that the Oilers moved.

Also, if Troy Smith gets drafted by the Steelers, I highly doubt you would see any Browns fans wearing Steeler crap. Huge difference between Cleveland and Houston.

TexansFanatic
12-10-2006, 07:40 PM
That's an insult to the Browns and their fans. The expansion version has already made the playoffs and their fans were passionate enough to force Modell to leave the name and colors in Cleveland. Outside of a core of diehard Oilers fans, the city in general seemed to care less that the Oilers moved.

I, for one, am very glad we let Bud take his team's name and colors. Why would want to retain that legacy? The Browns have never won a Super Bowl but they have a long, rich history of success that I can certainly understand wanting to hang onto...

Marcus
12-10-2006, 09:37 PM
Ok . . here's a prime example of why it's not even fun to watch other NFL games.

It's 9:30 pm, and I'm watching the Cowboys/Saints game. Reggie Bush takes a short pass from Brees, and makes a highlight reel TD run, and Al Michaels says, "Man, is that guy really fun to watch . .or I should say he's fun to watch for everyone except if you're a Houston Texans fan!"

:hairpull: :brickwall :hairpull: :brickwall

TexanLen
12-10-2006, 09:39 PM
NO!!! I am glad we have the NFL!!! I love my Texans!! I just want them to read. Now you are being stupid if you wish they weren't here!!!

TexanLen
12-10-2006, 09:49 PM
Seriously, I had a better time on Sundays when we didn't have a team. Not saying to be mean or anything. Just being real honest about how I feel.

I know that you can't turn off being a fan of this team like a switch, but man, if I could, I'd pull it . . in a fricken heartbeat.

It's bad, I mean it is REAL bad, when you can't even enjoy the other NFL games. That's what's really pissing me off more than anything else. I want to watch the other NFL games on TV without having to think of this . . .this . . team . . that I'm actually a "fan" of.

Just plain sick of the weekly frustration. Actually it's not really frustration, it's more like non-enjoyment, or work. A bitter disgusted fan is better than being no fan at all, you say? That's a dumb cliche that has not a ring of truth to it.

And after today . . . I know some of you weren't around here that dark day of the Oilers/Bills choke . . . but now, I'm starting to feel that horrible feeling of resentment creeping in.

Resentment. Maybe that's the 'switch' that I need to pull.

This is PATHETIC!!!! Here is a remedy... Do something else!!! Go watch a movie on Lifetime!!! It's easy to not watch. You mean to tell me that you would rather not have the NFL? It's stupid to say this. I was just as pissed about the loss today, but to say go to LA. That is ignorant!!! This is what fans do. They talk about what isn't going right or what is going good for their teams. I don't think i ever had a conversation with my buddies and said i wish they went to LA or wish we never got a team!!!

Texans_Chick
12-10-2006, 10:25 PM
Bad football is still better than no football!

I believe it was Woody Allen that said the same thing about bad sex and bad pizza.

Marcus
12-10-2006, 10:31 PM
This is PATHETIC!!!! Here is a remedy... Do something else!!! Go watch a movie on Lifetime!!! It's easy to not watch. You mean to tell me that you would rather not have the NFL? It's stupid to say this. I was just as pissed about the loss today, but to say go to LA. That is ignorant!!! This is what fans do. They talk about what isn't going right or what is going good for their teams. I don't think i ever had a conversation with my buddies and said i wish they went to LA or wish we never got a team!!!
You can climb up on your high horse and call me pathetic all day long if it makes you feel better. Just laying it out how I feel. Like I said before, I wish I could turn this "being a fan" thing off like a switch, but I can't. So, I guess I'm still a fan. Pretty miserable one right now, though.

TexanLen
12-10-2006, 10:34 PM
You can climb up on your high horse and call me pathetic all day long if it makes you feel better. Just laying it out how I feel. Like I said before, I wish I could turn this "being a fan" thing off like a switch, but I can't. So, I guess I'm still a fan. Pretty miserable one right now, though.

I feel miserable too, but i am not wishing we didn't have football. It's like when you have a argument with your spouse. You wish you never met them, but but when it's all good, you are glad you got them!!

spurstexanstros
12-10-2006, 11:57 PM
Two words to the looser who wrote this thread... San Antonio. i live in San Antonio and I am a die hard texans fan. I would give them up to hear... the NFL would like to welcome the 33rd NFL franchise.... the San Antonio.... but thanks to Skeletor(jerry jones) that is not going to happen. So take this thread and go back to Dallas or whatever rock you crawled out of you frontrunning fan

bayoumaniac
12-11-2006, 12:36 AM
I'd rather have a team that loses and is trying to build itself than to not have a team. When B. Adams took the Oilers away from Houston, it made me sick. It'll take a real long time of Texans loosing before I give up.
Today, I almost had a heart attack, but after a couple of cold beers and some great food out in the parking lot after the game and I got over it. It wasn't a W...but at least I got the opportunity to have fun with friends in my home town. Even if it is a big disappointment and heartache.
On the other hand...I've had a few victories as well!

texaslifter
12-11-2006, 12:41 AM
The texans make me feel like Jimmy Fallon in Fever Pitch. A stronger fan every week, but decidedly miserable for losing... except that there is no miracle in sight :(

cuppacoffee
12-11-2006, 08:00 AM

Also, if Troy Smith gets drafted by the Steelers, I highly doubt you would see any Browns fans wearing Steeler crap. Huge difference between Cleveland and Houston.

I wonder if any Browns fans will have T Smith in the opposing teams jersey as their avatar?

Not that I really care.

BTW The NFL made Modell leave the name and colors in Cleveland.

But you are right. Houston fans do not compare favorably with most other NFL cities.

:coffee:

Double Barrel
12-11-2006, 02:32 PM
Are you having fun?

Up to the point of Vince Young putting a dagger in our hearts? HECK YES!!

Marcus, I certainly understand and share your pain. And I will not argue your feelings with you, because every fan has a gut check to work out right now. But it is born from caring, from investing your emotions in a team that, to be honest, has never really earned it. We're football fans, though, and more importantly, we're hometown football fans.

If there is any 'cosmic football karma', all I know is that Houston should have some great glory days coming our way. It's not for these type of lows that I invest my fanatic side to a team, it's for those amazing highs.

But right now, my friend, is a tough time to look long term. Right now is the feeling of frustration, anger, sadness, and a general uneasiness about this team's future and direction. I don't have a lot of optimism at this moment...but I'm sure another off-season will cure what ails us. After all, being football fans is in our DNA, and there is always that little voice in the back of our heads giving us hope that this could be the year. And we never want to miss out on that.

This is probably very true...although, with the Jacksonville blackmail Bud pulled, Oiler fans were already disgusted with him. Part of me thinks that 35-3 is a big part of leaving because of apathy (even though we went 12-4 the next year), but I think Bud would have still been impatient and threatened to take his ball to another field to play.

The apathy from the Bills comeback is most likely what stopped Houston fans from getting together and protesting (like Cleveland fans), so it's part and parcel.

Very true, Hookem. This is one of the examples that I used, as well. But the Browns should learn from our mistake and do whatever they can to get the first pick, because this guy is a stud.

Marcus
12-11-2006, 04:44 PM
Well, I've had a night to sleep on it. can't say as I feel any different. I don't quite know the one word is that decribes how I feel. Nauseating comes closest. But this is what really sets this apart. VY is going to come back and rub our noses in it the next 10 years barring injury.

They say that all this will go away when, or if they finally start winning.

I beg to differ.

Keyser Soze
12-11-2006, 04:53 PM
The Browns have never won a Super Bowl but they have a long, rich history of success that I can certainly understand wanting to hang onto...

They may not have won any Superbowls, but they did win four league championships pre-Superbowl era.

TexansSeminole
12-11-2006, 04:54 PM
I'm extremely grateful Mr. McNair shelled out all that money and brought pro football back to Houston

I agree and I pray that this team doesn't get moved.

Show McNair some love.

YellerLotYeller
12-11-2006, 04:55 PM
The L.A. Texans just sounds wierd....

CajunTexanHorn
12-11-2006, 06:16 PM
By far, the most frustrating thing about being a fan of the Texans is the other "fans". I don't consider Houston a very knowledgeable football city and really not even worthy of professional sports, from a loyalty standpoint. I try and filter that out and support my team through it all anyway.

I love it when fans start eating each other. As far as the knowledge of football this city has, you couldn't be more wrong. This city has a love and extreme passion for football. Thousands of Aggies, Sooners, Tigers, Longhorns, etc., call this city home....a lot of them know a thing or two about football. You don't have to try very hard to get in a football disscusion with someone around those campuses. Lets not forget the breeding ground Houston is for High School talent too. HS football is huge here and there are some really good high school football coaches to boot too.

If you have sour grapes, b/c a lot of Houstonians are ticked off with the state of the Texans, fine...I get it, but don't act like Houston isn't a football savvy city.

As far as being "worthy" of professional sports and "loyalty"....get real. There isn't a single city in America that wouldn't be boiling mad if this franchise represented there city.

whiskeyrbl
12-11-2006, 06:42 PM
Just curious, but how is this "our team"? How do you feel any connection to this team? Aside from having "Houston" in their name, what have they done to get us, as fans, to support them and spend money to see them play, buy merchandise, etc?

If you don't know now , you never will.