PDA

View Full Version : Jerome Mathis on Offense

Da_General
12-08-2006, 06:57 PM
Does anyone think we will see Mathis playing WR this game? Perhaps stretch the field a bit?

Just a thought...

Lucky
12-08-2006, 07:01 PM
I think Kubiak wants to get Mathis on the field for just that reason. I could see Mathis on offense for a few plays, lining up on the same side as AJ in the hope that one of them can get free upfield. The Texans seem to have a love affair with the WR reverse, so Mathis is a possibility there, as well.

SLO Texan
12-08-2006, 07:03 PM
Does anyone think we will see Mathis playing WR this game? Perhaps stretch the field a bit?

Just a thought...

I sure hope so!!! That kid can burn!!

I think we are gonna have to start the game with some different looks to keep them from pinning their ears back and going after David.

A couple of looks down field to Mathis could definitely help.

Texans_Chick
12-08-2006, 07:04 PM
It would non-surprise me.

Maybe something like the two plays that the Texans started the Buffalo game with, to Moulds and AJ.

Question for y'all. In watching the TiVo of the last game, it looked like at full speed Mathis still had a hitch in his giddyup. He was running pretty fast but he didn't seem to run even to me, or as smooth as he has in the past.

Am I imagining things or did others see that too?

infantrycak
12-08-2006, 07:08 PM
Maybe something like the two plays that the Texans started the Buffalo game with, to Moulds and AJ.

And that is where Kubiak should be working his matchup game. Bring Mathis in as a 3rd or 4th WR and if you get him matched up on Woolfolk plan on taking the shot.

Weird, just noticed Mathis isn't on the stats sheet of nfl.com or yahoo on kickoff return average which he should lead the league with 37--granted he only has three but it should be like back up QB's who come in and lead the league on passer rating with 6 completions on 6 attempts.

SLO Texan
12-08-2006, 07:11 PM

Question for y'all. In watching the TiVo of the last game, it looked like at full speed Mathis still had a hitch in his giddyup. He was running pretty fast but he didn't seem to run even to me, or as smooth as he has in the past.

I noticed that in his first return as we all did...

Then on his second return it seemed like he could'nt kick it into thta extra gear to get the TD. He definitely has still got the vision just not all the break away speeed yet.

Texans_Chick
12-08-2006, 07:25 PM

Then on his second return it seemed like he could'nt kick it into thta extra gear to get the TD. He definitely has still got the vision just not all the break away speeed yet.

That he got where he got means he still has some break away speed. Routt may be one of the fastest guys in the league.

Da_General
12-08-2006, 07:31 PM

I saw the same thing, and it's funny you used the hitch in his giddyup expression, because my take on it was that when he hit that high gear he seemed to be galloping like a horse rather than gliding. Either way, he's still one seriously fast guy. I'm guessing the only reason he didn't make it all the way was conditioning after not playing for so long. He definitely seemed to slow down right at the end of the run.

Back to my original question...how burnable do you think the Titans defense might be on a go-route like Evans did to us in the Buffalo game? It seems to me this would be a perfect stunt to pull to open the game.

SLO Texan
12-08-2006, 07:33 PM
That he got where he got means he still has some break away speed. Routt may be one of the fastest guys in the league.

I know he still HAS break away speed. Your question was whether or not anyone thought he had a hitch in his giddyup. I was just saying that I think there is a hitch in his giddyup aka he still has'nt regained all of his giddyup quite yet. I think a healthy Mathis takes that kickoff to the house rather than being dragged down on the 5 or wherever.

Point being I'm stoked he's back and really hope Kubes incorporates his speed in the offense this Sunday to create some mismatches.

GO MATHIS & GO TEXANS!!!!!:mario3:

Yankee_In_TX
12-08-2006, 08:08 PM
I didn't read this thread, but I've heard Kubes say ons everal occasions he wants Mathis to develop into a WR.

He's such a stud returner, if he can develop into an AVERAGE (if not better) WR I'd be pumped!

(and of course, no more stunts like the one in HI :brickwall )

Besides, now we can stop plying "who the heck is that on the 10?!?" every week. LOL.

Texans_Chick
12-08-2006, 08:34 PM
I saw the same thing, and it's funny you used the hitch in his giddyup expression, because my take on it was that when he hit that high gear he seemed to be galloping like a horse rather than gliding. Either way, he's still one seriously fast guy. I'm guessing the only reason he didn't make it all the way was conditioning after not playing for so long. He definitely seemed to slow down right at the end of the run.

Back to my original question...how burnable do you think the Titans defense might be on a go-route like Evans did to us in the Buffalo game? It seems to me this would be a perfect stunt to pull to open the game.

Personally, I think the best use of Mathis until he has more training camp experience may be in handoff/fake handoff stuff. Things that don't involve actually having to catch the ball or being bumped off of your route.

Last year, they ran a fake handoff thing where people didn't bite too much (can't remember the game), and man I thought if he had actually got the ball on that he would have easily had a TD.

The first two plays used in Buffalo would have been cool.

Kubiak has talked about him spelling AJ some time and running his routes, but it would be nice to see them both on the field at the same time. I am guessing they have special stuff planned for this game.

Having him on the field at the same time as AJ does some of the same stuff that PacMan does when he is on the field for offense. It is distracting.

rmartin65
12-08-2006, 09:13 PM
I think he should, even if he is a distraction. Pretty much for the same reasons stated above.

edo783
12-08-2006, 11:12 PM
The way I would put the hitch in his Giddy up is that he didn't seem to be running even on each foot. May just be the lay off, may be the foot isnt working like it did before the break because muscels and tendons have moved sleightly or are not as strong. Lots of possibilties, but the bottom line his stride isn't a smooth and he isn't quite as fast as he was. Stlil will beat me to the buffet though.

Scooter
12-08-2006, 11:52 PM
I think he should, even if he is a distraction. Pretty much for the same reasons stated above.

i think that that, more than anything else, is why kubiak is so adamant about getting him into the offense. mathis hasnt really proven anything as a receiver, but teams are full aware that they probably dont have anyone on their roster that can catch him if he makes the first guy miss or the safety doesnt assist over the top. holding that safety for half a step or cheating into mathis's path can open windows for other receivers ... especially if mathis is able to make a catch or two and create some buzz.

TEXANS84
12-09-2006, 12:16 AM
PLAYER NOTES

—FB Vonta Leach is expected to start his second game of the season. Leach arrived with the Texans a month late, but he put together a solid outing in his first start last week, helping Ron Dayne rush for 95 yards.

—C Drew Hodgdon will start for the second week in a row. He had a strong outing against Oakland last weekend.

—WR Jerome Mathis is expected to play more of a role on offense this week.

—RB Chris Taylor was added to the active roster. He will play on special teams Sunday and possibly receive a few carries.

—FB Jameel Cook did not practice Wednesday because of his sore knee. He may not be activated again on Sunday.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/texans/home.htm

Runner
12-09-2006, 12:29 AM
I think Mathis should play and go deep. Pretty simplistic, but I'd think that woud take a cornerback and a safety out of the play.

Malloy
12-09-2006, 05:42 AM
I think Mathis should play and go deep. Pretty simplistic, but I'd think that woud take a cornerback and a safety out of the play.

I agree, one or two shots to him deep early in the game should generate some attention. I also like the idea of lining him up alongside AJ.

qman_tx
12-09-2006, 08:48 AM
Mathis looks like he gain alot of muscle on his arms....

HJam72
12-09-2006, 08:58 AM
What I noticed about Mathis was not his speed at all. He broke directly up field at just the right time, and I do believe that most other returners would have continued running at that approx. 45 degree angle to the left, getting caught at least by the time they reached the side-line. Mathis made a split-second decision to head straight up field and risk getting hit right there. That also made him appear to be suddenly running faster than just a second before because he was suddenly running horizontal to most fans and to the TV screen. The guy just knows exactly when and in what direction to make cuts and he has the guts to do it. But he is fast too.

qman_tx
12-09-2006, 09:20 AM
Does anyone have the retrun of Mathis? Also the one where Wynn almost broke....

alphajoker
12-09-2006, 11:17 AM

I saw that too, but I think it was because this was his first game back. He'll need a few more returns before he gets back into full game time shape. Either way, that 87 yard return was impressive after his long time out with his broken foot. So far in one game, he has the highest avg. return and the longest return. Nice to have you back Mathis!!!! :redtowel:

whiskeyrbl
12-09-2006, 11:21 AM

I'm sure he was winded, he is more than likely not in top shape having been on the shelf so long. Expect more of the same this week. And with 50 new plays being introduced it would'nt surprise me at all to see Mathis in on 4 and yes 5 WR sets

edo783
12-09-2006, 01:32 PM
The issue with Mathis as a WR is that he isn't/wasn't very natural at catching the ball. If you watched him last year at the ProBowl in the reciever drills, he caught maybe 50% of the balls tossed at him and was fighting even those in. Didn't look comfortable at all catching. Hopefully they have worked with him and he will be more comfortable catching the ball, otherwise he will be VERY unreliable.

YoungTexanFan
12-09-2006, 01:36 PM
The issue with Mathis as a WR is that he isn't/wasn't very natural at catching the ball. If you watched him last year at the ProBowl in the reciever drills, he caught maybe 50% of the balls tossed at him and was fighting even those in. Didn't look comfortable at all catching. Hopefully they have worked with him and he will be more comfortable catching the ball, otherwise he will be VERY unreliable.

Most of us aren't innitially worried about reliability. Most of us want to see him line up and have us take a few shots down the field. That opens the field and backs the defense up a little. That is what we really want to see.

Yankee_In_TX
12-09-2006, 01:37 PM

I agree. I HOPE, not necessarily believe, that he can become at least a decent WR.

YoungTexanFan
12-09-2006, 01:40 PM
What I noticed about Mathis was not his speed at all. He broke directly up field at just the right time, and I do believe that most other returners would have continued running at that approx. 45 degree angle to the left, getting caught at least by the time they reached the side-line. Mathis made a split-second decision to head straight up field and risk getting hit right there. That also made him appear to be suddenly running faster than just a second before because he was suddenly running horizontal to most fans and to the TV screen. The guy just knows exactly when and in what direction to make cuts and he has the guts to do it. But he is fast too.

This is why Mathis is an All-Pro. Mathis has an "IT" factor that most return men don't have. He just sees lanes open before everyone else and then he can hit gears that others don't have before they can get to the hole.

Runner
12-10-2006, 07:25 PM
There was a nice setup today. Mathis was wide left. The Titans had 10 men on the line. Mathis was one on one against the corner!

We ran wide right.

Malloy
12-10-2006, 07:31 PM
There was a nice setup today. Mathis was wide left. The Titans had 10 men on the line. Mathis was one on one against the corner!

We ran wide right.

Sad :(