PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Nelson

SF49erFaithful
12-08-2006, 03:06 AM
This guy deserves his own thread.

IMO he is the best safety in the draft. He is a ballhawk and playmaker, plus when he hits it is lights-out.

Also, I don't think he has any off the field problems. Nothing that I know of know of at least.

With that being said I want SF to draft this guy.

kastofsna
12-08-2006, 08:21 AM
yet another guy screwed out of the thorpe. i think that's 4 out of the last 5 years now. interesting.

and yes, he's a big playmaker and will be a steal wherever he's drafted.

El Tejano
12-08-2006, 10:58 AM
Is this the kid that plays for Florida?

If so I believe I saw him make an open field tackle on Mcfadden on a reverse and I got to say I like that.

real
12-08-2006, 11:10 AM
Off Topic....But I love Florida......The state....

beerlover
12-08-2006, 11:51 AM
can't wait for the bowl games :francis: Ohio State Florida should be epic. if this Reggie can cover & wrap up Ted Ginn Jr. look :yikes: out.

painekiller
12-08-2006, 12:18 PM
Have to admit that Landry was the preseason top safety, and as such has gotten most of the publicity/talk. But I think after the combine Nelson and he will be considered very close indeed.

I am looking forward to Bowl season, and the later all-star games. Theses should really help separate the elites from the maybes.

Anyone know if the junior who declare get invited to any all-star games to play in front of the scouts?

TexansCanes
12-08-2006, 06:23 PM
Have to admit that Landry was the preseason top safety, and as such has gotten most of the publicity/talk. But I think after the combine Nelson and he will be considered very close indeed.

I am looking forward to Bowl season, and the later all-star games. Theses should really help separate the elites from the maybes.

Anyone know if the junior who declare get invited to any all-star games to play in front of the scouts?

No, juniors are ineligible for all-star games and have to wait for the combine and pro days.

The Thorpe award is terrible, might as well call it the best big 12 corner or safety. kastofna, I think it's 5 out of six.

painekiller
12-08-2006, 06:26 PM
No, juniors are ineligible for all-star games and have to wait for the combine and pro days.

The Thorpe award is terrible, might as well call it the best big 12 corner or safety. kastofna, I think it's 5 out of six.

I remember one all-star game that has junior that have declared, might be the east west game, not sure but it is one of them.

TexansCanes
12-08-2006, 06:30 PM
I remember one all-star game that has junior that have declared, might be the east west game, not sure but it is one of them.

There was the blue and grey game (or something close to that) that use to be played on christmas. It was an all-star game for players whose team's didn't make a bowl. i think juniors could play but i'm not sure.

YoungTexanFan
12-08-2006, 06:47 PM
I think Reggie Nelson is going to be a better pro than Landry, but I woulnd't be upset with Landry if we win some more games. Both are good, but Nelson just brings another dynamic to the field.

hot pickle
12-08-2006, 07:59 PM
i just hope we pick a guy that has proved him self on the field and its just not about combine numbers, i think thats why alot of people were up set at the mario pick, cause he didnt have the greatest senior season, but i wish there was no such thing as the combine, so i just hope we pick the better football player

and right now i think reggie nelson has out performs laron, anyone agree?

Texian
12-08-2006, 08:27 PM
Re: RN he is listed at only 175 lbs. on his school bio. He is JC transfer who would be leaving early. Weight is a concern so combine stats will help.

LaRon Landry has performed very well for four years while at LSU. Until we know more I like Landry. Checkout some of these hits by LL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvKaO78Ov2I&NR

Bubbajwp
12-08-2006, 08:43 PM
I say we just flip a coin. That way if we pick the wrong one we can just blame it on the coin.:twocents: :cool:

YoungTexanFan
12-08-2006, 09:37 PM
i just hope we pick a guy that has proved him self on the field and its just not about combine numbers, i think thats why alot of people were up set at the mario pick, cause he didnt have the greatest senior season, but i wish there was no such thing as the combine, so i just hope we pick the better football player

Nelson has out preformed Landry this year, but Landry has done a standup job for 4 years as a starter in the SEC on a powerhouse.

With that said, the combine should help Nelson because it gives him time to bulk up and work out for teams. He is very good in run support and can lay the wood, but he is a ball hawk in coverage. I'm very excited to watch Smith and Ginn vs Nelson and the UF secondary. Nelson has better speed and playmaking ability than Landry, but Landry is a proven success and is not far behind in the abilities listed. Either are major upgrades at this point.

threetoedpete
12-08-2006, 11:36 PM
There was the blue and grey game (or something close to that) that use to be played on christmas. It was an all-star game for players whose team's didn't make a bowl. i think juniors could play but i'm not sure.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't I see somewhere where one of the all star games has been moved to houston ? Not talking about Reutgers vs Kanasa ST. but an all star game .

TexansCanes
12-09-2006, 12:21 AM

reggie has played better than laron this year but not over their careers. laron has played deep alot this year as the last line of defense because lsu's jessie daniels has been hampered with injuries. not to mention lsu finally has some linebackers that can make plays some plays, which hasn't been the case the last three years. the thing i've always liked about laron was that he is reliable and you know what you are going to get.

yeah threetoedpete i thought i heard that too, but not sure which one. maybe it was just a rumor, i don't know.

TexansSeminole
12-09-2006, 01:28 AM
Nelson has out preformed Landry this year, but Landry has done a standup job for 4 years as a starter in the SEC on a powerhouse.

With that said, the combine should help Nelson because it gives him time to bulk up and work out for teams. He is very good in run support and can lay the wood, but he is a ball hawk in coverage. I'm very excited to watch Smith and Ginn vs Nelson and the UF secondary. Nelson has better speed and playmaking ability than Landry, but Landry is a proven success and is not far behind in the abilities listed. Either are major upgrades at this point.

It will be interesting to see Nelson try and contain these receivers. The game will really effect his draft position.

SF49erFaithful
12-09-2006, 01:41 AM
Reggie Nelson (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWImu1_hl3o)

painekiller
12-09-2006, 05:40 AM
My big complaint against Nelson is his weight. Can he hold up. Also on the highlight reel did I see a cheap shot in the end zone?

Landry has been my front runner all season, but have to say Nelson is a stud if a team believes he can hold up.

I could be happy with either, just do not try to bring Merriweather in here, I do not like him and his pistol.

Texian
12-09-2006, 10:58 AM
Nelson is probably more aptly suited for CB in the NFL. He does not have the size at 175 lbs to play in the box. Nelson did not have the smarts to get in at a Div 1. Can he make a 10 on the wonderlic?

bah007
12-09-2006, 05:39 PM
Nelson is probably more aptly suited for CB in the NFL. He does not have the size at 175 lbs to play in the box. Nelson did not have the smarts to get in at a Div 1. Can he make a 10 on the wonderlic?

Vince Young got a 16 on the Wonderlic.

Ryan Fitzpatrick got a perfect score.

Ryan who? That's right.

The Wonderlic is even more overrated than the 40-yd dash.

TexansCanes
12-09-2006, 06:07 PM
Vince Young got a 16 on the Wonderlic.

Ryan who? That's right.

you mean the same ryan fitzpartrick that lead the rams to 17 4th quarter points to beat the texans in overtime last year?

i do agree that the wonderlic score isn't a great evaluation of how good a player is. i would expect a guy from Harvard to get a better score than VY.

Maddict5
12-09-2006, 07:03 PM
I say we just flip a coin. That way if we pick the wrong one we can just blame it on the coin.:twocents: :cool:

:bananasplit: that made me laugh out loud. i also laughed my ass off:spy:

this nelson guy sounds good- at this point i really wouldnt care if we took him, thomas,gaithers etc or landry in rd1... if hes shown he can play i dont care what his wonderlic is.. i would prefer him to get closer to 200 lbs though before his combine. if not id still play him at fs though if we drafted him

TheRealJoker
12-09-2006, 07:56 PM
Depending on where we pick, i'd prefer best OL available and then best FS on the board in that order. But if we're picking in the teens then I would go either Landry or Nelson.

wenskek
12-09-2006, 08:19 PM
on florida's football site they have him listed at 6-1 193. that is fine by me. this guy is a straite up playmaker and he is gonna be the FS for the Texans next year. i am calling it, with the first pick of the 2007 nfl draft the houston texans select reggie nelson fs out of florida.:bananasplit: :dance3:

Maddict5
12-09-2006, 09:10 PM
on florida's football site they have him listed at 6-1 193. that is fine by me. this guy is a straite up playmaker and he is gonna be the FS for the Texans next year. i am calling it, with their first pick of the 2007 nfl draft the houston texans select reggie nelson fs out of florida.:bananasplit: :dance3:

right?:spy:

bah007
12-09-2006, 10:37 PM
on florida's football site they have him listed at 6-1 193. that is fine by me. this guy is a straite up playmaker and he is gonna be the FS for the Texans next year. i am calling it, with the first pick of the 2007 nfl draft the houston texans select reggie nelson fs out of florida.:bananasplit: :dance3:

I wont believe anything about his weight until I personally see him on a scale.

I have seen sites have him as low as 175 and as high as 198.

Based on how he looks I would say he is around 180-185 & I would like to see him gain about 10 pounds before training camp if we get him.

YoungTexanFan
12-09-2006, 11:45 PM
Vince Young got a 6 on the Wonderlic.

Ryan who? That's right.

I edited your post for you. :cowboy1:

bah007
12-09-2006, 11:57 PM
I edited your post for you. :cowboy1:

The test he recieved a 6 on was misgraded.

His real grade was a 16.

Some reporter heard he got a 6 on the test & went public before he checked his sources. I'm surprised he isnt working for ESPN now since that is the exact same ethics they work by.

YoungTexanFan
12-10-2006, 12:58 AM
The test he recieved a 6 on was misgraded.

His real grade was a 16.

Some reporter heard he got a 6 on the test & went public before he checked his sources. I'm surprised he isnt working for ESPN now since that is the exact same ethics they work by.

lol, doesn't change the fact that he can't put a sentence together or sound out a 8 letter word. He is a dang good natural QB on the field though.

kastofsna
12-10-2006, 10:32 AM
actually, young's score was a 7 on the wonderlic.

bah007
12-10-2006, 03:11 PM
actually, young's score was a 7 on the wonderlic.

Actually, the misgraded score was a 6.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/draft/2006-03-01-young-wonderlic_x.htm

bah007
12-10-2006, 03:13 PM
"On Sunday, the combine said the test score of 6 that was being reported by some media outlets was false."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3687374.html

His real score was 16.

dtran04
12-10-2006, 05:36 PM
I still don't get how players do so bad on it. Doesn't a 10 mean you can read? That's embarrassing.

bah007
12-10-2006, 05:44 PM
I still don't get how players do so bad on it. Doesn't a 10 mean you can read? That's embarrassing.

I dont know.

Frank Gore got a 3 & he looks like a pretty good football player.

P.S.- Gore has dyslexia.

YoungTexanFan
12-10-2006, 11:38 PM
I dont know.

Frank Gore got a 3 & he looks like a pretty good football player.

P.S.- Gore has dyslexia.

Well dont knock a guy if he has an actual learning problem but tries his hardest to learn. Knock the guy who is just stupid and probally hasn't had to earn a real grade since he was a teenager.

bah007
12-10-2006, 11:42 PM
Well dont knock a guy if he has an actual learning problem but tries his hardest to learn. Knock the guy who is just stupid and probally hasn't had to earn a real grade since he was a teenager.

I'm not knocking anybody.

I'm just trying to prove how irrelevant the Wonderlic is.

By the way, Gore went to Miami so your comment about not having to earn a grade describes his college career also.

YoungTexanFan
12-11-2006, 12:02 AM
I'm not knocking anybody.

I'm just trying to prove how irrelevant the Wonderlic is.

By the way, Gore went to Miami so your comment about not having to earn a grade describes his college career also.

true story.

anyways, back to Nelson. Stud player.

He will be tested against Ohio St. and Troy Smith/Teddy Ginn Jr.

kastofsna
12-11-2006, 12:14 AM
Actually, the misgraded score was a 6.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/draft/2006-03-01-young-wonderlic_x.htm
don't believe everything ya read. ;)

SF49erFaithful
12-13-2006, 02:28 AM
Bumped for Nikko :marionaner:

threetoedpete
12-13-2006, 02:40 AM

well it's prety much meat on the hoof at the combine. I can see a guy getting mentaly tired and not posting a good score. TBS, and I'm no Einstien...I went in stone cold drunk for my SAT and knocked out 950. Might of been luck. The boxes kept moving on me.