mexican_texan
12-07-2006, 10:06 PM
Sources say some sources suck.

kastofsna
12-07-2006, 10:12 PM
yup. i blame dallas for that.

Kaiser Toro
12-07-2006, 10:34 PM
I was hoping Miami would mess that up. Hopefully UT will go to Jerry Gray for DC now.

kastofsna
12-07-2006, 10:46 PM
i have to think that a young black coach would do wonders for recruiting in miami. pretty excited about this...

Kaiser Toro
12-07-2006, 10:53 PM
i have to think that a young black coach would do wonders for recruiting in miami. pretty excited about this...

Isn't recruiting a large piece of the job description for a coordinator? I do not recall talent being an issue in Miami if memory serves me well.

kastofsna
12-07-2006, 10:55 PM
yes, he did a damn fine job recruiting. but he should do even better as head coach.

talent isn't an issue, but we have lot some of the bigger recruits to UF and FSU. i'm greedy, so i want as many 5-stars as possible.

hot pickle
12-08-2006, 12:13 AM
hes a great coach, good choice by miami, now they need to spend some money into there facilities and then they might bring a national championship back home soon, ive always liked miami, so best of luck to them

mexican_texan
12-08-2006, 12:25 AM
yes, he did a damn fine job recruiting. but he should do even better as head coach.

talent isn't an issue, but we have lot some of the bigger recruits to UF and FSU. i'm greedy, so i want as many 5-stars as possible.
Like QBs for instance.

Texas_Thrill
12-08-2006, 01:19 AM
"The statistics are staggering, both nationally and in New England. Of 616 football teams affiliated with the National Collegiate Athletic Association, only 16, or 2.6 percent, are guided by African-American head coaches, even though an estimated 19,667, or 32.7 percent, of the players last year were black, according to an NCAA survey (the figures exclude historically black colleges and universities)."

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/football/articles/2006/09/21/few_minorities_get_the_reins_in_college_football/

If this is true I'm just happy an African-American is getting another chance at a major program especially after the Notre Dame disaster.

Please_Evolve
12-08-2006, 01:28 AM
I don't see why Ty Willingham was such a huge disaster. Looking at it now... aren't most of the players on that team right now still leftover from his time there.

Black/ white whatever that is just a job with HUGE expectations period and i think Ty handled it with class.

Texas_Thrill
12-08-2006, 01:41 AM
I don't see why Ty Willingham was such a huge disaster. Looking at it now... aren't most of the players on that team right now still leftover from his time there.

Black/ white whatever that is just a job with HUGE expectations period and i think Ty handled it with class.

I wasn't referring to Ty. I was referring to the way Notre Dame handled that situation with him. I think he did a fine job in a almost impossible situation.

You can say black/white whatever but the fact of the matter is Ty was the only coach that Notre Dame never let finish out the contract. Why that is only they know but I can't believe it was because he wasn't doing better than the previous coach.

kastofsna
12-08-2006, 08:22 AM
well, it's pretty obvious notre dame hired BECAUSE he was black, as opposed to this hire, where shannon just so happens to be black. he's clearly the right man for the job here.

painekiller
12-08-2006, 11:16 AM
Looks like the typical "we didn't get the guy we wanted so hired the assistant."

Sorry that is what Florida and Florida St. are going to tell recruits. They fumbled the hiring IMO. Not saying Shannon is not qualified or a great coach, just that when you publicly go after the guy from Rutgers and he turns you down and then you have a want list, with a lot of names, none of which I saw Shannon name. Kinda looks mishandled by the "U".

Good luck in the recruiting wars.

bah007
12-08-2006, 07:12 PM

I agree.

I'm gonna play the race card here because I think it will have an effect.

I think that a young black head coach will have a better chance of recruiting young black talent than an old white guy like Coker.

I'm not saying that the athletes are racists, I just think that Shannon will be able to relate to them better than Coker & it will help him tremendously in recruiting.

YoungTexanFan
12-08-2006, 09:41 PM
Like QBs for instance.

Yeah, Miami hasn't had a good QB in a long time. And they missed out on the best QB in their state who is going to UT. The move puzzles me with McCoy there, but eh, they aren't the brightest over in FL. :shoot:

thetexanator
12-08-2006, 11:17 PM
ty willingham aint black.

kastofsna
12-09-2006, 12:16 PM
Yeah, Miami hasn't had a good QB in a long time. And they missed out on the best QB in their state who is going to UT. The move puzzles me with McCoy there, but eh, they aren't the brightest over in FL. :shoot:
i can't think of any QB at miami that was from florida. they ALWAYS go out of state. ALWAYS. california, ohio, or jersey, it seems.

although it's funny that you mention the state of texas, becuase the hurricanes have a commitment from 4-star QB Nick Fanuzzi from san antonio.

Texian
12-09-2006, 01:27 PM
The issue here is Miami has a coordinator who has never been a head coach. An unknown quantity. There is a long list of very good coordinators who became sub standard HCs. There is also a list of Coordinators who went to have good success as a HC. Miami success has always come from getting a successful big name coach ie: Shellenberger, Johnson, Erickson. You will know more about Shannon in 2 or 3 years.

FYI -Florida is still getting their fair share of good QBs, Tebow and X Lee are the latest examples of high school #1 QBs playing in FLA.

bah007
12-09-2006, 05:42 PM

John Brantley is a 5-star QB from Florida. He was also named the Gatorade player of the year & was the MVP of the Elite 11 QB camp.

I'm pretty sure he is #2 in the class behind the douchebag... I mean Jimmy Clausen. Actually Scout has him #3.

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=110&p=8&c=1&nid=1936639

He chose Texas cuz he wants to play in the Big 12 & he wants to redshirt his freshman year.

YoungTexanFan
12-09-2006, 11:51 PM
John Brantley is a 5-star QB from Florida. He was also named the Gatorade player of the year & was the MVP of the Elite 11 QB camp.

I'm pretty sure he is #2 in the class behind the douchebag... I mean Jimmy Clausen. Actually Scout has him #3.

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=110&p=8&c=1&nid=1936639

He chose Texas cuz he wants to play in the Big 12 & he wants to redshirt his freshman year.

Thank you for the research. I'm too lazy to care much until he plays really. Looks like a good prospect, I just don't understand why he wouldn't pick a school that gave him a better chance to play early...even in the Big 12. Neb., KU, OU, OK st. O well, good luck to him.

bah007
12-10-2006, 12:01 AM
Thank you for the research. I'm too lazy to care much until he plays really. Looks like a good prospect, I just don't understand why he wouldn't pick a school that gave him a better chance to play early...even in the Big 12. Neb., KU, OU, OK st. O well, good luck to him.

He doesnt want to play early. He wants to redshirt.

Oklahoma thought they had a real shot at him cuz he could start as a freshman.

But he wants to sit on the bench for a year.

YoungTexanFan
12-10-2006, 12:44 AM
He doesnt want to play early. He wants to redshirt.

Oklahoma thought they had a real shot at him cuz he could start as a freshman.

But he wants to sit on the bench for a year.

hmm...whatever floats his boat. Wish he had gone to KU though.

mexican_texan
12-10-2006, 12:55 AM
Since McCoy redshirted his freshman year, I would think UT would need a new QB in a year or two...and that's if McCoy could get back to his Heisman form.

kastofsna
12-10-2006, 10:30 AM
The issue here is Miami has a coordinator who has never been a head coach. An unknown quantity. There is a long list of very good coordinators who became sub standard HCs. There is also a list of Coordinators who went to have good success as a HC. Miami success has always come from getting a successful big name coach ie: Shellenberger, Johnson, Erickson. You will know more about Shannon in 2 or 3 years.
none of those guys were "successfull big name coaches." nor butch davis. nor coker, for that matter. the last "big name coach" they hired was Lou Saban in 1977.