PDA

View Full Version : Roof will affect play....

pittbull
12-07-2006, 06:16 PM
I realize the texans are trying to use utillize thier technology, but if it rains, it will definitely affect the play on the field. If anything, we don't need vince running all over the place, with our defence slippin and sliding all over the place. Close the roof and give us a chance!

Goldeagle
12-07-2006, 06:18 PM
Probably be closed, did they announce if it will be open?

Also, is this battle red day (sunday V the Titans)?

axman40
12-07-2006, 06:19 PM

I hope not it would be a shame to see all that Titan Blue and Burnt Orange on a Battle Red Day.

:cowboy1:

HomeBred_Texan
12-07-2006, 06:29 PM

As of right now it is being announced as OPEN roof.
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=3164&section=N%20Latest%20News

kfranco_utexas
12-07-2006, 08:54 PM
Open/Close, it wont matter.

Texans Pride
12-07-2006, 09:52 PM
If it rains, of course they are going to close the roof. That's why we have a retractable roof.

TNTitan
12-07-2006, 10:14 PM
i thought once it was open it stays open and vice versa?

Mr. White
12-07-2006, 10:16 PM
If the weather in Houston is anything like it is in Austin right now (20 degrees), then it will be a good day to leave the roof open.

Our best hope is that this game is ugly. Some cold, wet weather may make it tough on a rookie QB.

Speedy
12-07-2006, 10:33 PM
i thought once it was open it stays open and vice versa?The Texans will never play a home game in the rain unless the roof breaks. No way are they going to let those trays of grass get torn up more than they already do.

They opened it during the Chargers game a couple of years ago when the power went out.

Runner
12-07-2006, 10:35 PM
I have never seen a roof be such a big factor in play - the oven game against the Steelers, that game this year when we couldn't catch a kick-off...

Texizgreat
12-07-2006, 11:01 PM
The Texans will never play a home game in the rain unless the roof breaks. No way are they going to let those trays of grass get torn up more than they already do.

They opened it during the Chargers game a couple of years ago when the power went out.

I was at that chargers game. Kinda weird. Also kind of ironic that the stadium named after a power company .......lost power....hmmm

ATX
12-08-2006, 12:01 AM

Makes me wonder what they are using to open the roof....power is out, roof opens.

ledzeppelin229
12-08-2006, 01:01 AM
Makes me wonder what they are using to open the roof....power is out, roof opens.

Backup generator?

eric138
12-08-2006, 06:54 AM
That whole day was kinda weird. Let's just say we haven't had milar balloons at our tailgating event ever since.

HJam72
12-08-2006, 07:23 AM
They won't ever close it based on the weather being too COLD? I mean 20 degrees is fine for players earning their pay, but what about fan comfort?

BigWig
12-08-2006, 07:45 AM
If the weather in Houston is anything like it is in Austin right now (20 degrees), then it will be a good day to leave the roof open.

Our best hope is that this game is ugly. Some cold, wet weather may make it tough on a rookie QB.

Titans play outdoors by the way, so I would say weather= no factor.

Texanfan4ever
12-08-2006, 07:49 AM

LOl Good point. Never even thought about that. Obviously back up generators I guess.

Texanfan4ever
12-08-2006, 07:53 AM
It's open when the weather is betwee 50-80 and closed at any other time, including rain.

What I have heard is that they have to decide an hour before the game starts and keep it that way/ Don't know if that is true if it starts raining and a horrendous thunderstorm blows through, but it would be stupid not to be able to shut it, like they did during the Chargers, or open.

Supposedly it's an NFL rule. Doesn't make sense to me though, we are one of the only teams that have a roof like that, so, hmnn.......

pittbull
12-08-2006, 08:57 AM
The rules are that it has to be decided before gametime. The weather report shows that rain is n the forecast. If they have it open at gametime, they are not permitted to shut the roof during the pay of the game for safety reasons. Therefore, if it looks like rain, bring a raincoat texan fans! And for those who say just because the titans play in cold weather, will not affect the game, whenever it rains the offensive player has the advantage, and we don't want to give Vince any more advantage!

Vinny
12-08-2006, 09:03 AM
The rules are that it has to be decided before gametime. The weather report shows that rain is n the forecast. If they have it open at gametime, they are not permitted to shut the roof during the pay of the game for safety reasons. Therefore, if it looks like rain, bring a raincoat texan fans! And for those who say just because the titans play in cold weather, will not affect the game, whenever it rains the offensive player has the advantage, and we don't want to give Vince any more advantage!
If it looks like rain they will shut the roof before gametime. I don't think it's any more complex than that.

Kaiser Toro
12-08-2006, 09:05 AM
Close the roof to stop the sky from falling.

Texan_Bill
12-08-2006, 09:14 AM
If it looks like rain they will shut the roof before gametime. I don't think it's any more complex than that.

True, but that decision has to be made by 10:30 (or 90 minutes prior to kick-off) - correct? And once the decision is made they have to stick with it - correct?

infantrycak
12-08-2006, 09:22 AM
From the main site:

Houston Texans Roof Policy:
Beginning with the 2006 season, we will open the roof when the game time temperature is projected to be between 50 and 80 degrees. Our goal for implementing the “50-80 Rule” is to provide the most comfortable environment possible to enjoy Houston Texans games. Please note that the threat of rain will influence this decision, and when there is a good chance of rain during a game, the roof will be closed. Also, our parameters for late afternoon and evening games may shift slightly because of the absence of direct sunlight. However, we plan to use the general parameters established with your input to make the roof position decision for each game.

Kaiser Toro
12-08-2006, 09:24 AM
I hate roof policy Nazis. :mario3:

HJam72
12-08-2006, 10:20 AM
Looks like they should at least be able to reverse the decision at half-time.