PDA

View Full Version : Michigan's Woodley surprise Lombardi Award winner

nunusguy
12-07-2006, 08:20 AM
Michigan isn't playing for the BCS national title, but LaMarr Woodley has a nice consolation prize.
The Michigan defensive end won the Rotary Lombardi Award as the nation's top college lineman or linebacker Wednesday night at the Hilton Americas Hotel.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4384714.html
IMO this is a great selection by our local Rotary Club. I don't think this guy is
as high profile as a lot of other players, but he's a real talent who is a tremendous competitor. I thought he was outstanding the the Michigan-OSU
game earlier this year.

kastofsna
12-07-2006, 08:30 AM
this is a surprise?

Texian
12-07-2006, 09:41 AM
I am not that surprised, Woodley was a Big 10 unanimous selection to the DL and was also voted Big 10 Defensive Player of the Year.

nunusguy
12-07-2006, 10:49 AM
I am not that surprised, Woodley was a Big 10 unanimous selection to the DL and was also voted Big 10 Defensive Player of the Year.

Looks like I stand corrected. I did not realize that Woodley had already received that much acclaim. I dunno, but I guess the most high-profile Michigan DLine guy is Alan Branch who is top ten in gobs of mocks, but as an underclassman he wouldn't be eligible for this award ?

TexansCanes
12-07-2006, 01:01 PM
Looks like I stand corrected. I did not realize that Woodley had already received that much acclaim. I dunno, but I guess the most high-profile Michigan DLine guy is Alan Branch who is top ten in gobs of mocks, but as an underclassman he wouldn't be eligible for this award ?

I think it's the opposite, branch is the one that does a lot of the dirty work in the middle while Woodley gets the sacks and awards. it doesn't matter what class you are for the lombardi.

bah007
12-07-2006, 01:57 PM
Woodley led the nation in sacks for a long portion of the season.

ESPN had him in the Heisman race during the first few weeks.

He is a dominant player & very deserving of the award.

Almost Anybody
12-07-2006, 02:08 PM
I lost count how many times I heard his name called in the Ohio State game.