PDA

View Full Version : McClain's plea in the chron today

ATX_Texan
12-06-2006, 01:06 PM
I found McClain's whining about Texan's fans lack of support for the team very ironic.

In both articles:

link1 (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/mcclain/4382153.html)

link2 (http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2006/12/never_forget_that_vy_is_buds_g_1.html)

The main point is:

But if you're a Texans fan and you respect Young, cheer him before and after the game but not during the game. Otherwise, you should be embarrassed to show up at Reliant Stadium.

Hey Big John, why should the fans be any different than you? Regardless of the hard feelings the people of Houston had over the loss of the Oilers to Tenn., we had to endure constant coverage of Bud, Tenn, and everything Titans from you. For the first few years of the Texans, you could not be bothered to write or report anything about the home team. Instead, we were bombarded with constant drivel from you about all the great happenings in Nashville.

On top of that, you have constantly lauded V. Young all during the off season. Up until draft day, you reminded us that V. Young was the greatest player ever to enter the draft. During this season you continued to spend plenty of time constantly reminding everyone of what the fans in Houston were missing out on from VY.

Now, you expect everyone to forget all that you taught us?

You start one article with VY is Bud's guy. Never forget it.

Note to John: "YOU are Bud's boy and we will never forget that".

Texan_Bill
12-06-2006, 01:10 PM

Exactly....

Good post.

whiskeyrbl
12-06-2006, 01:10 PM
You ought to e-mail him this hilarious but true.

Stampede
12-06-2006, 01:12 PM
You ought to e-mail him this hilarious but true.

Post it on his blog and maybe he will respond to you.

Hulk75
12-06-2006, 01:12 PM
I found McClain's whining about Texan's fans lack of support for the team very ironic.

In both articles:

link1 (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/mcclain/4382153.html)

link2 (http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2006/12/never_forget_that_vy_is_buds_g_1.html)

The main point is:

Hey Big John, why should the fans be any different than you? Regardless of the hard feelings the people of Houston had over the loss of the Oilers to Tenn., we had to endure constant coverage of Bud, Tenn, and everything Titans from you. For the first few years of the Texans, you could not be bothered to write or report anything about the home team. Instead, we were bombarded with constant drivel from you about all the great happenings in Nashville.

On top of that, you have constantly lauded V. Young all during the off season. Up until draft day, you reminded us that V. Young was the greatest player ever to enter the draft. During this season you continued to spend plenty of time constantly reminding everyone of what the fans in Houston were missing out on from VY.

Now, you expect everyone to forget all that you taught us?

You start one article with

Absolutly Right on BROTHER!

You should not cheer for him during the game cause they are the titans, thats all!

thetexanator
12-06-2006, 01:13 PM
u guys are right, doesnt he do some show in nashville about the titans(some weekly thing i think). that guy is more of a titan backer than texan fan.

Yvette
12-06-2006, 01:15 PM
Regardless of the hard feelings the people of Houston had over the loss of the Oilers to Tenn., we had to endure constant coverage of Bud, Tenn, and everything Titans from you. For the first few years of the Texans, you could not be bothered to write or report anything about the home team. Instead, we were bombarded with constant drivel from you about all the great happenings in Nashville.
He wasn't the beat writer for the Texans; he covered the NFL.

hobie
12-06-2006, 01:16 PM
John writes for a few papers and is on several radio shows weekly. He is no more a Texans fan than you are a Cowboys fan.

Hulk75
u guys are right, doesnt he do some show in nashville about the titans(some weekly thing i think). that guy is more of a titan backer than texan fan.

Thats amazing is it not?

Is there another reporter anywere in the NFL that cares so much for the Divisional Rival more then McLame does?

What if there was a reporter that loved Phillip Rivers in Oakland and every other week there was a running total and always speaking about Rivers in the Oakland Newspaper, they would not dare cause the guy would probably not be alive long.

Yvette
u guys are right, doesnt he do some show in nashville about the titans(some weekly thing i think).
Its a weekly show about the NFL.

Hulk75
12-06-2006, 01:18 PM

I am sure it is, and he has a big smile on his face while he does it, I am sure he has never cracked a joke about us.

Texan_Bill
12-06-2006, 01:22 PM
He wasn't the beat writer for the Texans; he covered the NFL.

That was true until this season, but the point was that even when he was allegedly covering the NFL, it was all Titans, all the time.

Tailgate
12-06-2006, 01:23 PM
I think his point remains the same. I bet there will be alot of so called "Texans" fans at the game who will root for Vince just in spite, etc... and I gotta say... its gonna be very annoying and embarrassing at the same time.

This coming from a Horn fan.

thetexanator
12-06-2006, 01:24 PM
some guys are talking about him doing many shows and hes not a texnas beat writer etc. isnt he supposed to be the guy with the inside stuff FOR the texans? he doesnt present himself as a NFL guy like some guys do, he presents himself as the guy with the inside stuff about the texans. SO, i still think hes being a hypocrite.

Yvette
12-06-2006, 01:26 PM
I am sure he has never cracked a joke about us.
I haven't ever heard one but I could have missed it.
That was true until this season, but the point was that even when he was allegedly covering the NFL, it was all Titans, all the time.
I'm sure Chron archives would prove you wrong ;)

But yes, I think he's a Titans fan.

12-06-2006, 01:31 PM
correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't he used to be a writer for the nfl at that time, and not specifically the texans?

gwallaia
12-06-2006, 01:34 PM
There will be alot of Vince fans wearing Longhorn and Titan jerseys to show their support for him. They will also do it as a stubborn little temper tantrum to "get back" at McNair.

We will only have to endure them for one game a year though.

Bamaborn-Texasbred
12-06-2006, 01:35 PM
Exactly....

Good post.

I second that emotion.

If he wants to jump people who want to cheer Vince, he should be more careful about the "Vince is everything" type of stuff he writes.

Hookem Horns
12-06-2006, 01:41 PM

Is that the same show he was on talking about me a few seasons ago? I guess I should be proud of my 5 minutes of Titan hating fame in Nashville.

keyfro
12-06-2006, 01:45 PM
mcclain is one of those guys who i just don't like...he's become that guy in the corner of the room who acts like he's your best friend when he's face to face with you and as soon as you turn your back on him he stabbs you...as far as his article goes...i agree with the fact that if your going to the game to cheer the titans on and call yourself a texan fan you should be shot...but coming from him it just sounds like hypocritical b.s.

Double Barrel
12-06-2006, 01:50 PM
You should not cheer for him during the game cause they are the titans, thats all!

Yep. I could never cheer a Titan under any circumstance. :howdy:

Texan_Bill
12-06-2006, 01:52 PM
I haven't ever heard one but I could have missed it.

I'm sure Chron archives would prove you wrong ;)

But yes, I think he's a Titans fan.

Not sure what you mean by the Chronicle's archives proving me wrong, but I will clarify what I am trying to say...

McClain covers the Texans this year (although still writes articles about the NFL). Prior to this season, he didnt cover the Texans but he did in fact cover the NFL (allegedly); but so often those NFL articles talked about the Titans.

On local radio shows, he used to tell John and Lance which game he was covering that week, and several times a season he would be covering the Titans.

It's no secret that he is Bud's buddy...

Yvette
12-06-2006, 02:04 PM
Is that the same show he was on talking about me a few seasons ago? I guess I should be proud of my 5 minutes of Titan hating fame in Nashville.
That would be the same one!

This entire city wanted to roll out the red carpet for you. I still crack up when I think about it!

Prior to this season, he didnt cover the Texans but he did in fact cover the NFL (allegedly); but so often those NFL articles talked about the Titans.
You first said "it was all Titans, all the time" and thats why I said the Chron archives would prove you wrong. I guess you were exaggerating ;)

GP
12-06-2006, 02:52 PM
mcclain is one of those guys who i just don't like...he's become that guy in the corner of the room who acts like he's your best friend when he's face to face with you and as soon as you turn your back on him he stabbs you...as far as his article goes...i agree with the fact that if your going to the game to cheer the titans on and call yourself a texan fan you should be shot...but coming from him it just sounds like hypocritical b.s.

Nice post.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I'll add this: Yeah, he was the "NFL" reporter for a long time, so he didn't "technically" have to cover the Texans...but on the flip-flop, did he have to cover Tennessee as much as he did? No. He covered them because he has an affinity for the team and for the owner. Good pals. So, in effect, I could care what he says about what "should" happen. That goes out the window, IMO, when the guy is a blatant lap dog for Bud Adams.

Have never cared for the guy. Some here will say that he's a gentleman in conversation, when you get to know him, and that he gets slammed for no real reason. Whatever.

Could you imagine a Chicago writer NOT covering a home team more than he covers another city's team? Say "hello" to cement shoes if you do.

pittbull
12-06-2006, 04:31 PM
Regardless of who John really loves to write about and comment on, he is exactly right!!! I know there will be a ton of VY fans, as well as there should be, due to him being Houston favorite son of football. But in no way, should it upstage the hometwon team, that many go to support any other game, due to a dislike or lack of support for David Carr. It is absolutely ridiculous for the fans that will do a such thing. I actually thought about selling my tickets, due to this factor, and the embarassment associated with it. When the Steelers played the miami Doplhins, the steeler fans didn't boo the Steelers for passing up on Dan Marino every time he went into Three Rivers Stadium, arguebly the best QB ever. Nor did they ever boo for passing up Tony Dorsett, when he brought the university of Pittsburgh home a National title in 76', the first in over 40 years. The raiders passed on Leinart, nor do the fans shoose to blast the organization and the starting QB at the time. Texan fans need to grab reality and support the team and players that are here now. That is the only way they will get better.

Vinny
12-06-2006, 04:38 PM
The Steelers didn't pass on Marino nor did they pass on Dorsett...both were gone by the time they picked.

Lucky
12-06-2006, 04:44 PM
The Steelers didn't pass on Marino...
The Steelers took Gabriel Rivera, DT from Texas Tech, with the 21st pick in 1983. Marino went 6 picks later to the Dolphins.

Link (http://drafthistory.com/years/1983.html)

Vinny
12-06-2006, 04:48 PM
yeah...I was gonna correct that...but you beat me to it. Nobody was shocked that Marino lasted till the 20th pick that year though...the shock was that he played as well as he did at the pro level. There were quite a few QB's in that draft taken before him. Dorsett was the second overall behind Bell that year though.

Lucky
12-06-2006, 04:52 PM
yeah...I was gonna correct that...but you beat me to it. Nobody was shocked that Marino lasted till the 20th pick that year though...the shock was that he played as well as he did at the pro level.
I think there were rumors of drugs with Marino (marijuana to be specific). Interestingly, the USFL had a draft that year, and made Marino the #1 pick.

Vinny
12-06-2006, 04:56 PM
I think there were rumors of drugs with Marino (marijuana to be specific). Interestingly, the USFL had a draft that year, and made Marino the #1 pick.I'd say those guys were astute but then again Craig James was taken ahead of Eric Dickerson in their 83 draft too.

Silver Oak
12-06-2006, 05:00 PM
There will be alot of Vince fans wearing Longhorn and Titan jerseys to show their support for him. They will also do it as a stubborn little temper tantrum to "get back" at McNair.

They may think they're getting back at Mr. McNair, but it's a warm fanny in a seat and that's what pays the bills.

I hope everyone who wears either orange or baby blue is subject to alot of ridicule on the way out of Reliant after the Texans beat them down.

dbspi
12-06-2006, 05:07 PM
Best thing that could have happened to Marino was not get drafted by Pittsburgh and same thing can be said of Vince. Some times not getting drafted by home is actually good for you.

Marino reached his potential and now let's see what Vince can do.

Goldeagle
12-06-2006, 05:43 PM
I totally agree with John. If you cheer for the Titans this week or VY after his introduction (He is a local guy afterall and can get a round of applause) but after that, HELP YOUR TEXANS!

pittbull
12-06-2006, 05:46 PM
I think there were rumors of drugs with Marino (marijuana to be specific). Interestingly, the USFL had a draft that year, and made Marino the #1 pick.

Actually that was presented by the pittsubrgh media to smear his name and was cleared up by the NFL and drug test. But, the point I was making from the beginning, no other cities do this. Only in Houston!

QB75
12-06-2006, 06:11 PM

They will be hiding those jerseys when they leave.

Texanfan4ever
12-06-2006, 06:19 PM
Do the right thing, cheer for our team! I say they will "bring it"!

TNTitan
12-06-2006, 06:24 PM
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:crying:

Bongo59
12-06-2006, 06:26 PM
mcClain is on the radio right now in nashville................I am listenign to it over the net in a Houston hotel room.......his gist is this game has the hype of the SB recently played in houston..................and he believes it is Carr vs VY all the way.....................

http://players.eonstreams.com/FastAim/Player/Player.php?PlayerID=584

cuppacoffee
12-06-2006, 08:37 PM

Thats a Texan "fan" attitude...:crying:

Get back at McNair for drafting Mario instead of 'hometown hero' Young'...:penalty:

Support Buds team ( young is a titan), he only moved his sorry franchise from Houston to Tenn...:joker:

Yeah, that makes lots of sense. Sheeesh.

Not aimed at you gwallaia but the people in attendance that you are referring to.

Just because a person says they are a Texan fan doesn't make it so.

:coffee:

travfrancis
12-06-2006, 10:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns
That would be the same one!

This entire city wanted to roll out the red carpet for you. I still crack up when I think about it!

What's the story behind that?

Zac
12-06-2006, 11:13 PM
If we aren't careful, the Texans could become Arizona #2.

Let's not forget that the Cowboys are more popular in Arizona than the Cardinals.

Is that Mclains Ultimate Goal :spy:

Yvette
12-06-2006, 11:28 PM
What's the story behind that?
Hookem was on a serious Bud bashing, hate the Titans kick and John McClain noticed. Honestly, there was no way you couldn't notice. It was everyday, all day long. For a few years. I suspect he still does it, but in his underground bunker so no one hears.

Anyway, John said, let me show you around, introduce you to a few people, come to the game as his guest, etc. John appealed to the city of Nashville to show Hookem a good time, make him feel welcome.

Except for the Texans loss, I know Hookem had a blast. I don't think he ever paid for anything that entire weekend! I don't think he even paid for his plane ticket. When we were all out and about, strangers were showing up to buy him drinks.

By the way, I hear there's evidence somewhere of Hookem shaking hands with the old toupee himself.

Roughnecks
12-07-2006, 02:09 AM
What is sad is that it is true. I dislike the man myself but he has a point. Just think about it you never see highlights on BSPN about the Texans but come Sunday you will and you can bet with everybody cheering him on that is all they will talk about. Normaly I could care less about what other people think but I am a true fan of the Texans and it is going to make me sick to watch this and will be a low point in Houston sports.

swtbound07
12-07-2006, 02:36 AM

You know how I feel about VY...but when i watch the game at home (couldn't afford the tickets...tried though) I will be wearing my Battle Red Andre Jersey. Period.

HJam72
12-07-2006, 06:38 AM
You know how I feel about VY...but when i watch the game at home (couldn't afford the tickets...tried though) I will be wearing my Battle Red Andre Jersey. Period.

Great, so you stick with the Battle Red Andre Jersey when watching at home, but you go to Texans events in a smurph blue Vince Young jersey. :ok:

But, hey, if it gets you cheerleaders, I'm all for it. :ok:

eriadoc
12-07-2006, 09:48 AM

Exactly right. Look, I like VY a ton and it wouldn't have hurt my feelings to see him drafted (I was a D'Brick Ferguson advocate first and foremost). I don't think anyone is saying you can't be a fan of VY. When they lace up the cleats, however, you root for your team, if you're a fan. If you're not a fan, do whatever you want, just don't claim to be a fan. As for those of you claiming to cheer for VY at the game to express your displeasure with the Texans' decision to pass on VY .... do you really think they don't know? And do you really think your voice can change anything? The draft is over. How long are you planning on doing this? As long as Carr is QB? Or as long as VY plays in the NFL? Or maybe as long as the Texans are losing?

It's just silly. I'll clap for VY when he comes onto the field and when he leaves. He's a hometown guy and I love his play. When the clock starts, however, I am rooting for my team, regardless of who's playing for or against my team.

I am a fan of the Texans.

HJam72
12-07-2006, 10:05 AM
I just hope our defense (ahem, Williams) is taking all this in and getting ready to get nasty and mean about it. Nothing would make me happier....well, except the impossible 300+ game from Carr.

eriadoc
12-07-2006, 10:58 AM
I just hope our defense (ahem, Williams) is taking all this in and getting ready to get nasty and mean about it. Nothing would make me happier....well, except the impossible 300+ game from Carr.

Everytime Carr has thrown for 300 yards (and once for 295 against the Jags last year), our team has lost. I'm kind of hoping he throws for 200 and a TD and we win LOL.

Farmer Bernie
12-07-2006, 11:34 AM
Because of it's high profile nature, this game (or at least the highlights) will be seen by many people who know nothing of the Texans or Houston or Houston sports fans. If you go out there and cheer for the Titans or boo your home team before it takes the field in a big rivalry game, then you will contribut to the invalidation of Houston as a sports town.

The country will see it and a lasting opinion will likely be formed. Texans fans will be a joke. Cowboy fans will laugh at all Texans fans. The national joke about Cardinals fans will be applied to Houston. You won't just embarass yourself, but your City's sports credibility as well.

We won't just be the Cardinals, we'll be worse.

Double Barrel
12-07-2006, 11:52 AM
I'll clap for VY when he comes onto the field and when he leaves. He's a hometown guy and I love his play.

You need to cheer loudly for him when he's on the field with his offense, too. It's the least we can do to....uuuhhh...show him how much we appreciate his national championship. yeah, that's it, show some appreciation when he's on the field.

12-07-2006, 12:07 PM

I know a girl who knows his son, and supposedly Marino's a raging alcoholic.

eriadoc
12-07-2006, 12:18 PM
You need to cheer loudly for him when he's on the field with his offense, too. It's the least we can do to....uuuhhh...show him how much we appreciate his national championship. yeah, that's it, show some appreciation when he's on the field.

LOL, I'm with you on your subversive misssion. I'll be encouraging the VY jerseys to do just that ;)

I am a season ticket holder and the seats right next to mine are owned by a scalper company or maybe just an individual who sells every game. Regardless, he always sells the tickets to opposing fans. I always make sure to thank those fans for buying tickets, concession, parking, etc. and continuing to support our Houston Texans financially. You should see the looks on their faces. It's like they never thought of that.

Double Barrel
12-07-2006, 12:23 PM
LOL, I'm with you on your subversive misssion. I'll be encouraging the VY jerseys to do just that ;)

I am a season ticket holder and the seats right next to mine are owned by a scalper company or maybe just an individual who sells every game. Regardless, he always sells the tickets to opposing fans. I always make sure to thank those fans for buying tickets, concession, parking, etc. and continuing to support our Houston Texans financially. You should see the looks on their faces. It's like they never thought of that.

Good job. :spy:

edo783
12-07-2006, 12:30 PM

Machiavellie would be proud of you and DB. Good job, keep it up.

GP
12-07-2006, 02:11 PM
Hookem was on a serious Bud bashing, hate the Titans kick and John McClain noticed. Honestly, there was no way you couldn't notice. It was everyday, all day long. For a few years. I suspect he still does it, but in his underground bunker so no one hears.

Anyway, John said, let me show you around, introduce you to a few people, come to the game as his guest, etc. John appealed to the city of Nashville to show Hookem a good time, make him feel welcome.

Except for the Texans loss, I know Hookem had a blast. I don't think he ever paid for anything that entire weekend! I don't think he even paid for his plane ticket. When we were all out and about, strangers were showing up to buy him drinks.

By the way, I hear there's evidence somewhere of Hookem shaking hands with the old toupee himself.

Uh oh.

Say it isn't so, Hookem.

This feels like the time when I figured out that Santa wasn't real.

There's the slow transitionary period between belief in Santa and realization that he's a myth...it's "the netherworld" of hoping that the rumors are not true, but the sinking feeling that it probably IS true.

If you went there and laughed it up with Bud Adams, on their dime, then I'm gonna' have to send you some negative rep points for the next five years.

:cowboy1: