PDA

View Full Version : Tony Parrish

mexican_texan
12-05-2006, 09:37 PM
"Tony is a model professional, and he influenced a lot of younger players with his work ethic," 49ers coach Mike Nolan said. "This was a tough decision to make at this time, but with the injuries we had at linebacker, we needed to bring in a player at that position."

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2687737&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines)

Think he's any better than Michael Stone?

Sarg01
12-05-2006, 09:45 PM
Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2687737&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines)

"The 49ers released Parrish to make room for veteran linebacker Jay Foreman, ..."

Gah! :challenge

mexican_texan
12-05-2006, 09:46 PM
"The 49ers released Parrish to make room for veteran linebacker Jay Foreman, ..."

Gah! :challenge
Made me do a triple-take. Weird.

ArlingtonTexan
12-05-2006, 09:53 PM

He has had a better career than Michael Stone, but he did not seem to recover after missing a good portion of 2005 with an injury. If you are a proponent of veterans being able to teach stuff to younger players, he would be a candidate. At issue would be that like most of the safeties on our roster already, his weakness has always been in coverage. I am assuming that recent enough injury and age (at least 30) has done nothing to improve Parrish in that respect.

joshri
12-06-2006, 08:32 AM
I'm sure he's getting old at this point but when I followed him a year or two ago he was a top 10 safety.

bah007
12-06-2006, 09:48 AM
We should bring him in for a tryout.

He's been in a Pro Bowl (the year he had 9 INTs) so I dont think he could be as bad as Brown.

We could also use some veteran leadership on the D.

amazingandre
12-06-2006, 10:25 AM
is there a way we could get him is he just a fa now? im not familar with that stuff.

Texan_Bill
12-06-2006, 10:28 AM
Bring 'em in!!

By the way did that article say that signed Jay Foreman? I thought he was completely out of football. They really must be desperate at the LB spot.

bah007
12-06-2006, 10:34 AM
is there a way we could get him is he just a fa now? im not familar with that stuff.

He was released from his contract so he is just a FA now.

I dont expect that the Texans will pick him up now since by the time he got used to our defense the season would be over.

But I would still like to have him.

It really isn't good when your team's 2 defensive leaders are a rookie (Ryans) & a 5-year veteran (Weaver).

I think our secondary would improve drastically with the leadership & ability that Parrish brings.

kcwilson
12-06-2006, 01:42 PM
It really isn't good when your team's 2 defensive leaders are a rookie (Ryans) & a 5-year veteran (Weaver).

Depends on your outlook... I for one am glad to see a Rookie as a leader that will be a stable figure in the defense to come. It says a lot about the direction of the franchise.

It says a lot about the past too... but you can only whine and moan about the past and cannot change it.

bah007
12-06-2006, 01:47 PM
Depends on your outlook... I for one am glad to see a Rookie as a leader that will be a stable figure in the defense to come. It says a lot about the direction of the franchise.

It says a lot about the past too... but you can only whine and moan about the past and cannot change it.

I'm not doubting that Ryans is picking up the slack.

I just dont think he should be forced to because he is a rookie.

Rookies are supposed to learn from veterans in their early years & then they become leaders.

DeMeco stepped in & instantly became a leader. I am proud of him & I love the fact that he is on our team but I think it is unfair for him to have so much on his shoulders in just his rookie season.

He is still learning the transition from college to pros & players older than him are looking up at him.

We just dont have the luxury of having a lot of veteran leadership.

hot pickle
12-06-2006, 02:15 PM
we should pick him up, keep him for the offseason and everything, maybe can get CC brown to play better, and hes a vet leader, if we can get him for cheap, then it would be a damn good idea