PDA

View Full Version : Kubiak is learning!

Ibar_Harry
12-05-2006, 01:06 AM
I read the Monday Presser and the other article by Kubiak. If you go and read those you will find some interesting information.

1) He admits he was wrong at yelling at Carr on the AJ reverse. Carr did exactly what he taught to do based on the read. What Kubiak has shown him is that there is another factor that hadn't been talked about and that was what Kubiak saw. The play should not have been called the way it was, but it was not Carr's fault. Kubiak has a lot of knowledge based on many years of playing. Carr's knowledge base is nowhere near Kubiaks. I was watching a show with Lenny Wilkens and he admitted he had to learn to teach his players how to see what he just naturally saw. It took a while to learn how to teach.

2) He quite frankly admitted that David took some bad shots because of the line play. He singles out Winston as not having a particularly good day. In fact I think he implied he is absolutely amazed at how tough David is. Folks, I really think very few QB's in the league could take the shots he does and keep on playing. I'm not saying he doesn't make mistakes, but most QB's could not play for us based on the injury factor alone.

3) He talks about Mathis and openly admits - if you read between the lines - he really did not have a good assement of Mathis in his own mind. He talks about chewing on Mathis and how Mathis responded. Says Marciano had told him how competitive Mathis was, but Kubiak frankly didn't believe it. I guess he has somewhat made a believer out of Kubiak. Kubiak also recognized that that play to begin the 2nd half is what kept them in the game.

4) Dayne was effective when he was fresh and used against a team that was beginning to wear down some. Based on what he said I would expect us to use Lundy early and Dayne late, particularly if we are trying to protect a lead. He also indicated that Dayne had not been 100 % and that was part of the problem. Leach also did a heck of a job leading the way.

5) Defense we will leave alone simply, because I think everyone knows they did a very good job. My only question is the caliber of offense they defended against. This week is going to be a very big challenge for them.

Once again, Kubiak has said in my mind the right things. I hope he is giving us an honest assement. My preference, despite my criticms, would he for Kubiak to turn into the coach I thought he would be at the beginning of the season. If we have to change coaches again or key personnel, you can write off another 5 to 7 years before this ball club becomes what everyone would like it to be. I think Kubiak really knows he has made some bad mistakes and must take ownership of those mistakes just like his players. That's all you can ask of anyone. Lets hope for a big win against the Titans.

TK_Gamer
12-05-2006, 01:35 AM
I read the Monday Presser and the other article by Kubiak. If you go and read those you will find some interesting information.

1) He admits he was wrong at yelling at Carr on the AJ reverse. Carr did exactly what he taught to do based on the read. What Kubiak has shown him is that there is another factor that hadn't been talked about and that was what Kubiak saw. The play should not have been called the way it was, but it was not Carr's fault. Kubiak has a lot of knowledge based on many years of playing. Carr's knowledge base is nowhere near Kubiaks. I was watching a show with Lenny Wilkens and he admitted he had to learn to teach his players how to see what he just naturally saw. It took a while to learn how to teach.

2) He quite frankly admitted that David took some bad shots because of the line play. He singles out Winston as not having a particularly good day. In fact I think he implied he is absolutely amazed at how tough David is. Folks, I really think very few QB's in the league could take the shots he does and keep on playing. I'm not saying he doesn't make mistakes, but most QB's could not play for us based on the injury factor alone.

3) He talks about Mathis and openly admits - if you read between the lines - he really did not have a good assement of Mathis in his own mind. He talks about chewing on Mathis and how Mathis responded. Says Marciano had told him how competitive Mathis was, but Kubiak frankly didn't believe it. I guess he has somewhat made a believer out of Kubiak. Kubiak also recognized that that play to begin the 2nd half is what kept them in the game.

4) Dayne was effective when he was fresh and used against a team that was beginning to wear down some. Based on what he said I would expect us to use Lundy early and Dayne late, particularly if we are trying to protect a lead. He also indicated that Dayne had not been 100 % and that was part of the problem. Leach also did a heck of a job leading the way.

5) Defense we will leave alone simply, because I think everyone knows they did a very good job. My only question is the caliber of offense they defended against. This week is going to be a very big challenge for them.

Once again, Kubiak has said in my mind the right things. I hope he is giving us an honest assement. My preference, despite my criticms, would he for Kubiak to turn into the coach I thought he would be at the beginning of the season. If we have to change coaches again or key personnel, you can write off another 5 to 7 years before this ball club becomes what everyone would like it to be. I think Kubiak really knows he has made some bad mistakes and must take ownership of those mistakes just like his players. That's all you can ask of anyone. Lets hope for a big win against the Titans.

yes I think you're right. I believe Kubiak came in here and made some initial assessments that were quick to judge and he is paying for them now. he started out by integrating guys he knew into the offense without really fairly assessing the talent we had. eg. morencyl, wand, mathis, etc, he also gave carte blanche to the guys he did bring in regardless of performance, eg. cook, putzier. I do like the fact however, that he is at least admitting some of those mistakes now, and hopefully from here on out we will trully see what he is capable of as a head coach in the NFL.

HJam72
12-05-2006, 04:37 AM
A head coach that knows how to admit mistakes and continue learning. There may still be a lot of hope here. :texflag:

NEVER STOP LEARNING.

Mattheus_Rex
12-05-2006, 04:41 AM
A head coach that knows how to admit mistakes and continue learning. There may still be a lot of hope here. :texflag:

NEVER STOP LEARNING.

Yeah, but how do we stop him from leaning?

phan1
12-05-2006, 06:33 AM
I'm worried about what he's going to do when he just doesn't have that much talent around him. In denver, he always had a running game, and that made his job significantly easier. Now, that run game isn't there anymore. What's he going to do now? Is he going to let Carr throw? Is he just going to keep on pounding away at the run when we're not even gaining 2 ypc? I want to see some innovation from him, but it looks like he's strictly "our offense is based on the running game whether it's good or not". But I guess that's the only thing you can do when Carr is playing horribly.

Carr Bombed
12-05-2006, 06:47 AM
I'm worried about what he's going to do when he just doesn't have that much talent around him. In denver, he always had a running game, and that made his job significantly easier. Now, that run game isn't there anymore. What's he going to do now? Is he going to let Carr throw? Is he just going to keep on pounding away at the run when we're not even gaining 2 ypc? I want to see some innovation from him, but it looks like he's strictly "our offense is based on the running game whether it's good or not". But I guess that's the only thing you can do when Carr is playing horribly.

Denver's offense is always based on the run.....good or bad. Believe it our not we have had success this year at running the ball........just not on a consistent basis. The only way to get a consistent running game is to keep plucking away at it. To just abandon the running game would be stupid.

HJam72
12-05-2006, 08:11 AM
Kubiak will probably insist on getting players that can give us a running game. I think it's just a matter of time. Then, he'll know what to do with it.

BigWig
12-05-2006, 09:10 AM
Whew, for a minute there I thought you were referring to Kubiak is leaning towards getting rid of Carr:shoot: , and I was about to get happy:dance3: , oh well, I'll survive now.

HJam72
12-05-2006, 09:11 AM
Yeah, but how do we stop him from leaning?

I don't know, but I bet most people don't get that joke.

Meloy
12-05-2006, 09:29 AM
I don't know, but I bet most people don't get that joke.I read all the posts & I still do not know which way he is leaning. Man, I can't say anything with the way my mind(?) and fingers fail to interact. At least Kubes is not on a diet.:dance3:

HJam72
12-05-2006, 09:32 AM
I read all the posts & I still do not know which way he is leaning. Man, I can't say anything with the way my mind(?) and fingers fail to interact. At least Kubes is not on a diet.:dance3:

The title of the thread is "Kubiak is leaning!" I don't really know which way. I'm assuming he's still heterosexual. :)

edo783
12-05-2006, 10:14 AM
I think Kubes is leaning towards learning.

TexansFanatic
12-05-2006, 10:40 AM
Has he been drinking?

Bamaborn-Texasbred
12-05-2006, 10:54 AM
I hope he isn't leaning towards an early retirement.

Chance_C
12-05-2006, 11:25 AM
Can somebody please change Ibar's avatar? :brickwall

wolfscar
12-05-2006, 11:39 AM
Is he just going to keep on pounding away at the run when we're not even gaining 2 ypc? I want to see some innovation from him, but it looks like he's strictly "our offense is based on the running game whether it's good or not". But I guess that's the only thing you can do when Carr is playing horribly.

The only way to get a consistent running game is to keep plucking away at it. To just abandon the running game would be stupid.

I think it's important for a coach to coach what he knows how to do well. In Kubiak's case that's a Denver style, hard running, balanced, hard-to-break-down type approach. If he abandoned that and tried to adapt his style to the team that's there then we'd never see what he can really do. By committing to establishing our battered running game and working from there, it's going to take longer till this offense really settles in, but once it does it will flow so much better than something thrown together for a quick fix.

I think we need to remember that this is Kubiak's first head coaching position. He was bound to make mistakes first thing off the bat, but what's encouraging is that he is seeing those mistakes, recognising them for what they are and taking responsibility for the direction this team is heading. I reckon this season is as much about him settling into his role as it is about him trying to mould the team into something better than the train wreck it was coming into 2006.

Tale Gator
12-05-2006, 11:42 AM
Kubiak is leaning? What is he sipping tha syrup!?

Texan_Bill
12-05-2006, 11:50 AM
I don't know, but I bet most people don't get that joke.

Wrong. He just beat me to it.

wolfscar
12-05-2006, 11:51 AM
When David has a line, he'll play better. I've been waiting for this correction since the beginning. I thought Kubiak would fix things. Maybe he needs us to suck another season so we get the draft picks.

It seems that what Kubiak is most effective at bringing out of his quarterbacks is consistency. Low INT count, steady yardage, low sack count. That was what transformed Plummer but Plummer had a FAR superior line and a MUCH better running game to take the heat off him.

David Carr isn't the next Peyton Manning, by any means, but he's shown that - with a little space - he can make consecutive completions and not throw interceptions. Without that space though, he's going to keep getting hit, he's going to keep losing the football and he's not going to get the steady yardage as a result.

He seems to take direction well from Kubiak and he does have the physical talent to throw the ball long and use his feet if he has to. If he can just stop fumbling and his line can learn that they're supposed to stop those big guys rushing past them every play, then I think he could fit really well into Kubiak's offense. He's never going to be the heartbeat of the team, but I reckon he could fill a necessary role extremely well if we can get the other stuff right.

The fumbling's got to stop though, and that is a big paycheck for a simple role-filling QB.

BigWig
12-05-2006, 11:52 AM
Maybe its supposed to be learning and not leaning!
I second that vote to change IBAR's avatar.