PDA

View Full Version : Coachdent going on the Kubiak Show

coachdent
12-04-2006, 05:38 PM
On hold right now. Going to ask about the offensive line schemes.

Double Barrel
12-04-2006, 05:44 PM
Cool! Give us 'radio-challenged' folks an update when you're done.

TexasJedi
12-04-2006, 05:54 PM
He's on now. Talking about Leach, and the tight ends.

real
12-04-2006, 05:55 PM
Heard him...

real
12-04-2006, 05:56 PM
Kubes said he could tell he was a good fan....

valleytexfan
12-04-2006, 05:56 PM
listening to it now...

Texan_Bill
12-04-2006, 05:58 PM
Good call Coach!

coachdent
12-04-2006, 06:00 PM
Good call Coach!

Thanks! I found the streaming 610 site finally up here. Wife not to thrilled, we're late for dinner! But good stuff.

I don't think we use the tight ends as much as we should. Hopefully planted a little seed to do it more because Winston is going to need a lot of help this Sunday against Vandenmunchcrunch!

Mr. White
12-04-2006, 06:06 PM
I missed it, Coach. But I feel like I can sleep a little better knowing that you're calling the show as opposed to the average 610 caller.

run-david-run
12-04-2006, 06:06 PM
I think Van Den Bosch (however you spell it) must have our game circled on his calander, because he absoultley destroys our O-line.

Stampede
12-04-2006, 06:08 PM
Thanks! I found the streaming 610 site finally up here. Wife not to thrilled, we're late for dinner! But good stuff.

I don't think we use the tight ends as much as we should. Hopefully planted a little seed to do it more because Winston is going to need a lot of help this Sunday against Vandenmunchcrunch!

Coachdent for OC! :gotexans1

texaslifter
12-04-2006, 06:10 PM
Shucks. I would have liked hearing you call in Coachdent. I have really come to appreciate the knowledge you take the time to share on here.

OzzO
12-04-2006, 06:19 PM
Ha, thought that was you. Heard on the ride home a caller that asked a similar question you brought up on you "objective thread" and I asked in that thread if that was you. Impressive call.

edit - This is similar to what I posted on the other thread:

Something to the affect of
Coachdent (Steve):
"Here's the deal... If you keep a tight end in to block, that helps the tackle with the DE AND it takes a defender out of coverage. He will sit on the tight end before releasing into coverage, thus opening passing lanes for the wide outs. Our clunker tight ends take forever to get downfield and clog things up.

-In additon...we're not missing assignments, the protection scheme is flawed. I can show you on a board, but we do not slide protection to the tight end when he goes out. When you don't, and you don't have the back going to that side, you have a sack."

Personally, I don't think it was the answer you were looking for as Kubiak's response was basically he'd like to keep the TE's back to protect but also to release them to get up the field - to find a "happy medium".

edit 2 - Also, another caller got through to talk about Ron Dayne, but when he got on - he changed the question to "how long you think the fans will want to wait for Carr to go through his learning phase" (as Kubiak mentioned Carr was going through this with his new system) and "what is your response if you hear the cheers in Reliant when the guy y'all passed on is playing" (VY). Shoot - now I really don't recall his answer, but something along the lines of Kubiak mentioned it's gonna take some time for Carr to learn this system and the good thing about Carr is he knows he had an off game, as he had in the past (most likely Ten.) and will like to see how he responds the next game. Never really addressed a "time frame". Concerning the VY question, mentioned that the decision was to go with Carr at the time and once the decision was made, there was no reason to go after another QB.

texaslifter
12-04-2006, 06:41 PM
Well, that second call you wrote about was just being rude. Trying to surprise a figure head by posing a fake question then trapping them into one like that is just disrespectful.

OzzO
12-04-2006, 06:43 PM
yeah, the radio guys were embarassed he got through like that, but Kubiak took it in stride. I'm sure Kubiak is frustrated on multiple levels like the fans are, but he's working through it.

At least he responded better than our previous "E" coach.

Ckw
12-04-2006, 06:50 PM
Coachdent for OC! :gotexans1

I second that

the wonger need food
12-04-2006, 06:50 PM
Hopefully planted a little seed to do it more because Winston is going to need a lot of help this Sunday against Vandenmunchcrunch!

Coach I didn't hear your call... what were your recommendations? Did you mention using the TE's to help with max pass protection packages? One thing that I didn't see in the Oakland was the 5-wide sets that spread the field. That seemed to work really well against the Giants.

I'm sure you were insightful and all, but when NFL coaches start listening to fans they end up sitting with them in the stands.

phan1
12-04-2006, 07:01 PM
I don't get the TE thing... Leaving a TE to block means that you leave have an extra guy on the defense free to cover right? Wouldn't that be the drawback in having a TE to help with pass protection?

aj.
12-04-2006, 07:02 PM
Well, that second call you wrote about was just being rude. Trying to surprise a figure head by posing a fake question then trapping them into one like that is just disrespectful.

That caller was "Longhorn Scott," an extreme arrogant ass that would make an otherwise non-caring college football fan hate Texas.

The fact that he lied to the producer and told him that he wanted to talk about Dayne, then buttered up Kubiak with the "my wife is a St. Pius grad" thing and then surprised Kubiak with a "how can you live with yourself by not drafting VY" question is not surprising. It fits a bitter, arrogant, and nauseating pattern and it usually shows up when he calls the morning show about anything un-Texas. His attitude is almost enough to make me root for OU once a year.

texaslifter
12-04-2006, 07:05 PM
That caller was "Longhorn Scott," an extreme arrogant ass that would make an otherwise non-caring college football fan hate Texas.

The fact that he lied to the producer and told him that he wanted to talk about Dayne, then buttered up Kubiak with the "my wife is a St. Pius grad" thing and then surprised Kubiak with a "how can you live with yourself by not drafting VY" question is not surprising. It fits a bitter, arrogant, and nauseating pattern and it usually shows up in the morning show.

Well I'm a longhorn myself, so I can feel him on the VY thing. I know its exhausted here, so I won't go into detail - but I will say that all the longhorns out there are telling the rest of the nation I told you so right about now.

But wow, to disrespect the head coach, especially while going under the identity of Longhorn anything - what a shame. Some people really are just *******s. :brickwall

Wolf
12-04-2006, 07:09 PM
Well I'm a longhorn myself, so I can feel him on the VY thing. I know its exhausted here, so I won't go into detail - but I will say that all the longhorns out there are telling the rest of the nation I told you so right about now.

But wow, to disrespect the head coach, especially while going under the identity of Longhorn anything - what a shame. Some people really are just *******s. :brickwall

sorry longhorn fans, we didn't draft R Williams,Jammer,DJ,Benson either... (and I like the longhorns and wish we could have drafted vince), but we didn't and I am over it.

aj.
12-04-2006, 07:12 PM
He only identified himself as "Scott" not "Longhorn Scott" as he usually does when he calls in to blather on the morning show. It was all part of the cowardly cover up that he obviously thought was cute. I'm sure he's bragging about it somewhere as we speak.

As far as the incessant whining about what happened or didn't happen 8 months ago, I can't help anyone there...

texaslifter
12-04-2006, 07:15 PM
sorry longhorn fans, we didn't draft R Williams,Jammer,DJ,Benson either... (and I like the longhorns and wish we could have drafted vince), but we didn't and I am over it.

With Jammer, Roy, DJ, Benson, VY, Vasher, Huff - the texans would be the best team in the NFL. I'll never be "over" it, but I still support my team.

nunusguy
12-04-2006, 07:16 PM
The fact that he lied to the producer and told him that he wanted to talk about Dayne, then buttered up Kubiak with the "my wife is a St. Pius grad" thing and then surprised Kubiak with a "how can you live with yourself by not drafting VY" question is not surprising. It fits a bitter, arrogant, and nauseating pattern and it usually shows up when he calls the morning show about anything un-Texas. His attitude is almost enough to make me root for OU once a year.
Yea, he really sucker-punched Kubiak with that one, but the HC
was very cool and quick on his feet as he commented something along the lines of that being a pretty sharp question from a fellow St. Pius alum.
Easy to tell the caller was a real axz-wipe, a real bag of wind.

Wolf
12-04-2006, 07:28 PM
With Jammer, Roy, DJ, Benson, VY, Vasher, Huff - the texans would be the best team in the NFL. I'll never be "over" it, but I still support my team.

not biased are ya LOL

mexican_texan
12-04-2006, 08:44 PM

I'm a Longhorn fan and I never wanted VY, nor do I want him now.

dtran04
12-04-2006, 08:49 PM
I'll take guys from "The U" or OSU over Texas anyday. Sorry longhorn fans.

RTP2110
12-04-2006, 08:51 PM

That makes two of us.

coachdent
12-04-2006, 09:14 PM
Coach I didn't hear your call... what were your recommendations? Did you mention using the TE's to help with max pass protection packages? One thing that I didn't see in the Oakland was the 5-wide sets that spread the field. That seemed to work really well against the Giants.

I'm sure you were insightful and all, but when NFL coaches start listening to fans they end up sitting with them in the stands.

Or he will be calling in to my show! :dance3: Kidding of course!

He said that they had changed things up and the tight ends helped out. I disagree. We do not use them to max protect enough. The West Coast philosophy is to get your backs out into routes and get five guys out.

I found it very ironic that both he and the hosts pointed out the limitations to the Run & Shoot and Kubes brought up protection issues as to why more people don't use it. I guess our system is infinitely better! But we release five receivers, so there is no difference between that and the Run & Shoot.

He downplayed the difficulty of the block for Winston. He struggled with the wide rusher all game long and we did not give him enough help. We better this weekend to be sure.

We need to chip the defensive ends at the very least with the running backs. When our tight ends release on their routes, they need to get hands on the DE so that he cannot just get right upfield, untouched.

HJam72
12-04-2006, 09:35 PM
yeah a high school coach going to be a big time NFL coach.....I think he will be waiting for a long time for that. If Kubes listen to fans on how to run offense we are in trouble. :ouch:

Which is why he doesn't listen to all the Carr haters. The back-up QB is ALWAYS the most popular guy on a bad team and the O-line is always the most overlooked problem.

Double Barrel
12-04-2006, 09:43 PM

I've changed the channel because of that moron a couple of times. People like him bring sports talk radio down. It doesn't surprise me that he acted with no class on Kubiak's show. :loser

Stampede
12-04-2006, 09:53 PM
yeah a high school coach going to be a big time NFL coach.....I think he will be waiting for a long time for that. If Kubes listen to fans on how to run offense we are in trouble. :ouch:

It was just a gesture of my appreciation to coachdent for his contribution to this MB. Sorry you did'nt see it that way. :)

mexican_texan
12-04-2006, 10:01 PM
Happened to Lovie Smith...I'm just saying.

coachdent
12-04-2006, 10:10 PM
It was just a gesture of my appreciation to coachdent for his contribution to this MB. Sorry you did'nt see it that way. :)

I appreciate it. Holmgren was also a high school football coach.

texaslifter
12-04-2006, 10:33 PM
not biased are ya LOL

So I am biased. Name one person on that list that isn't a PLAYMAKER

texaslifter
12-04-2006, 10:35 PM

** I didn't say I'm a longhorn fan, I said I'm a longhorn. I did not arbitrarily pick Texas because they were winning, I attended my schools football games for 4 years and watched all the talent come through.

HJam72
12-04-2006, 10:38 PM
** I didn't say I'm a longhorn fan, I said I'm a longhorn. I did not arbitrarily pick Texas because they were winning, I attended my schools football games for 4 years and watched all the talent come through.

So you're only a fan because you went to school there. How lame. :jk:

thunderkyss
12-04-2006, 10:48 PM
Or he will be calling in to my show! :dance3: Kidding of course!

He said that they had changed things up and the tight ends helped out. I disagree. We do not use them to max protect enough. The West Coast philosophy is to get your backs out into routes and get five guys out.

I found it very ironic that both he and the hosts pointed out the limitations to the Run & Shoot and Kubes brought up protection issues as to why more people don't use it. I guess our system is infinitely better! But we release five receivers, so there is no difference between that and the Run & Shoot.

He downplayed the difficulty of the block for Winston. He struggled with the wide rusher all game long and we did not give him enough help. We better this weekend to be sure.

We need to chip the defensive ends at the very least with the running backs. When our tight ends release on their routes, they need to get hands on the DE so that he cannot just get right upfield, untouched.

Ha-haaaaa....... I thought the ideas that guy was spouting off sounded familiar.

First, I get bad reception after the sun goes down here in Pt Arthur. But I think I heard him say some guys like the tightend there, and some don't. Winston is one of those that seem to like him there(and releasing) but he's feeling him out. Remember, this is only Winston second(third??) start??.

Another thing. I mentioned how bad-ass that Raider Defense was against SanDiego, which was why I thought we were going to lose, and lose big. That front four was in Rivers face all day, so that's not your avg front 4. ON occasion, Winston got beat, but I don't think we can say we've seen the best of EricWinston yet. He's held his own, against more common competition, & pass blocking wise, he's at least the equal of Weigart.

I know you aren't suggesting that we keep the tightend in on every play. that ImHo..... would hurt our passing game more than help.

But, I'm glad you got your questions into Kubiak....... I think it's cool that I heard your voice.... where'd you say you were, Pennsylvania?? & an old Oilers fan...... how cool is that??

coachdent
12-05-2006, 07:08 AM
Another thing. I mentioned how bad-ass that Raider Defense was against SanDiego, which was why I thought we were going to lose, and lose big. That front four was in Rivers face all day, so that's not your avg front 4. ON occasion, Winston got beat, but I don't think we can say we've seen the best of Eric Winston yet. He's held his own, against more common competition, & pass blocking wise, he's at least the equal of Weigart.

I know you aren't suggesting that we keep the tightend in on every play. that ImHo..... would hurt our passing game more than help.

But, I'm glad you got your questions into Kubiak....... I think it's cool that I heard your voice.... where'd you say you were, Pennsylvania?? & an old Oilers fan...... how cool is that??

I think Eric Winston is going to be a very good offensive lineman for the Texans. No question. But we need to give him more help and contrary to what Kubes said, we really didn't give him much help. It is not the M.O. of our offensive scheme to max protect. Very rushed for time as they were ending the show, but what I was trying to say was that the tight ends need to make contact with the defensive ends before they go out into pattern if they are going to go out. Our tight ends avoid the DEs like the plague and that is a problem. I don't know of too many rookie offensive linemen who enjoy that wide rushing defensive end. I know of a bunch who can't stand it and I know a lot of guys who are working at the Dennys grill because they couldn't handle it.

I live in Media, PA which is about twenty minutes south of Philly.

Grew up an Oilers fan and fell in love with Love Ya Blue. Also Billy White Shoes Johnson played at Chichester nearby and Widener Univ. so I certainly followed him.

Coolest thing in the world was when I was coaching at Wesley College in Delaware (who by the way are in the DIII semifinals...go Wolverines!) and the head coach asked me if I wanted to work a football camp in Maryland run by Billy. I just about flipped and said yes. I go down to the camp and the night before I was giving a presentation to the Maryland H.S. coaches talking about the passing game and I walk in and there is Billy. He comes up to me and says, "hey Steve! Thanks for coming! And gives me this huge hug! I just about flipped! It was so cool.

I worked three of his camps in Maryland and he flew me down to work a camp in Atlanta. Just the nicest guy in the world. Cool thing also is when we were at the first camp, he told me that Al Johnson was going to be there. I smiled and said that I knew who he was. Billy couldn't believe it until I told him that Al was #15, played backup quarterback, used to run a little option on the goalline and also ran kickoff team. Billy was laughing and when Al came in, Billy told him that he found the one guy in the world who knew who the hell he was!

Fell in love with the fact even that after we lost to the Steelers, the fans showed up by the thousands in the Astrodome to thank the team for the season. That just doesn't happen everywhere. I lvoe that spirit. Vowed when the Oilers left to follow Eddie George and Steve McNair and then cut the strings until another team came to Houston. And here we are.

Go Texans!:texan:

thunderkyss
12-05-2006, 08:46 AM
But we need to give him more help and contrary to what Kubes said, we really didn't give him much help. It is not the M.O. of our offensive scheme to max protect. Very rushed for time as they were ending the show, but what I was trying to say was that the tight ends need to make contact with the defensive ends before they go out into pattern if they are going to go out. Our tight ends avoid the DEs like the plague and that is a problem. I don't know of too many rookie offensive linemen who enjoy that wide rushing defensive end. I know of a bunch who can't stand it and I know a lot of guys who are working at the Dennys grill because they couldn't handle it.

Not to discount your opinion, or discredit your take of the game.... but I think Winston handled the wide rushing DE pretty well. His trouble (really McKinney's trouble) was on stunts...... McKinney seemed to have problems passing his guy off to Winston, and picking up the DE.... of course, McKinney was probably supposed to block his man, and Winston should drop under him to pick up the DE on the other side, but McKinney would often block his man into Winston making it difficult.

Again, what you are saying makes sense, & I can see your point. But the things you are saying is difficult, doesn't look like the things Winston is struggling with. I think his biggest problem is the guy we're putting on his other side........... the guard, either Weary or McKinney.

the wonger need food
12-05-2006, 08:55 AM
I think Eric Winston is going to be a very good offensive lineman for the Texans. No question. But we need to give him more help and contrary to what Kubes said, we really didn't give him much help. It is not the M.O. of our offensive scheme to max protect. Very rushed for time as they were ending the show, but what I was trying to say was that the tight ends need to make contact with the defensive ends before they go out into pattern if they are going to go out. Our tight ends avoid the DEs like the plague and that is a problem. I don't know of too many rookie offensive linemen who enjoy that wide rushing defensive end. I know of a bunch who can't stand it and I know a lot of guys who are working at the Dennys grill because they couldn't handle it.

I live in Media, PA which is about twenty minutes south of Philly.

Grew up an Oilers fan and fell in love with Love Ya Blue. Also Billy White Shoes Johnson played at Chichester nearby and Widener Univ. so I certainly followed him.

Coolest thing in the world was when I was coaching at Wesley College in Delaware (who by the way are in the DIII semifinals...go Wolverines!) and the head coach asked me if I wanted to work a football camp in Maryland run by Billy. I just about flipped and said yes. I go down to the camp and the night before I was giving a presentation to the Maryland H.S. coaches talking about the passing game and I walk in and there is Billy. He comes up to me and says, "hey Steve! Thanks for coming! And gives me this huge hug! I just about flipped! It was so cool.

I worked three of his camps in Maryland and he flew me down to work a camp in Atlanta. Just the nicest guy in the world. Cool thing also is when we were at the first camp, he told me that Al Johnson was going to be there. I smiled and said that I knew who he was. Billy couldn't believe it until I told him that Al was #15, played backup quarterback, used to run a little option on the goalline and also ran kickoff team. Billy was laughing and when Al came in, Billy told him that he found the one guy in the world who knew who the hell he was!

Fell in love with the fact even that after we lost to the Steelers, the fans showed up by the thousands in the Astrodome to thank the team for the season. That just doesn't happen everywhere. I lvoe that spirit. Vowed when the Oilers left to follow Eddie George and Steve McNair and then cut the strings until another team came to Houston. And here we are.

Billy will always be a favorite to many of us here. Electrifying player and a class act.

I was only 11 at the time, but I will never forget that night in the Astrodome. Earl and Dante riding into the Dome on the back of police motorcycles. Those blue pom-poms. Referee dolls hanging from nooses. People sitting on those ledges that extended out over by the scoreboard. Bum's speech... "Last year, we knocked on the door. This year, we banged on the door. Next year, we're gonna kick the SOB in." That was an amazing time to be a football fan in Houston. You'll never see or experience anything like that again... anywhere.

coachdent
12-05-2006, 08:57 AM
The stunts are more difficult with the tight end because it brings a third guy into the box. My concern is that this week we do not change our protection issues and Vandenbusch goes beserk...again.

Agreed both right guards have stuggled too and this hinders Winston's progress. No question. I prefer, and the linemen I have worked with prefer, when the tackle and the guard have the two defenders next to each other when they stunt. It is easier to pick up because the guard and tackle are closer to each other.

Either way... my main point was that we release tight ends who do not lay hands on anyone. I do not get too terribly excited watching Putzier, Daniels and Bruenner plodding down the field. It certainly doesn't raise the sense of fear in defenders. So please have them help out in the pass protection schemes by either keeping them in or slam releasing more.

real
12-05-2006, 09:05 AM
I think Winston handled the wide rushing DE pretty well. His trouble (really McKinney's trouble) was on stunts...... McKinney seemed to have problems passing his guy off to Winston, and picking up the DE.... of course, McKinney was probably supposed to block his man, and Winston should drop under him to pick up the DE on the other side, but McKinney would often block his man into Winston making it difficult.

I remember seeing this.....

I would find it very hard to believe that the blocking schemes would call for Winston to fold under and block that DE....That wouldn't make much sense at all, for a number of reasons.....

But it's not all on the Gaurd....The Gaurd can't see that DE stunting underneath....He can't assume that just because the DT takes a wide rush, that it's a stunt...The DT may just be rushing wide.....The Tackle(Winston) needs to communicate with the RG(Im sure they have a call), and then he needs to push the RG off of the DT and basically in the path of the stunting DE.....

I saw a couple mistakes on one play where Oakland did this stunt...

1) The RG had poor technique...He didn't get back far enough, and he leaned into his man, which is a no no on 5-7 step drops....Not only is it easy to get beat that way, but he committed himself to a man and not a section....You know the D-line is going to stunt...That was a fairly basic stunt, and our guys couldn't pick it up...

2) Winston needed to be agressive in trying to get the gaurd to come off...He kinda just stood there and looked lost and wathced the DE stunt inside and crush Carr....

But little things like that come with familiarity with the man next to you...You kinda make your own little calls, and it's a beautiful thing to watch two lineman work together when they're on the same page...

But all that being said....Carr still caused atleast two of those Sacks....

HJam72
12-05-2006, 09:10 AM
I remember seeing this.....

I would find it very hard to believe that the blocking schemes would call for Winston to fold under and block that DE....That wouldn't make much sense at all, for a number of reasons.....

But it's not all on the Gaurd....The Gaurd can't see that DE stunting underneath....He can't assume that just because the DT takes a wide rush, that it's a stunt...The DT may just be rushing wide.....The Tackle(Winston) needs to communicate with the RG(Im sure they have a call), and then he needs to push the RG off of the DT and basically in the path of the stunting DE.....

I saw a couple mistakes on one play where Oakland did this stunt...

1) The RG had poor technique...He didn't get back far enough, and he leaned into his man, which is a no no on 5-7 step drops....Not only is it easy to get beat that way, but he committed himself to a man and not a section....You know the D-line is going to stunt...That was a fairly basic stunt, and our guys couldn't pick it up...

2) Winston needed to be agressive in trying to get the gaurd to come off...He kinda just stood there and looked lost and wathced the DE stunt inside and crush Carr....

But little things like that come with familiarity with the man next to you...You kinda make your own little calls, and it's a beautiful thing to watch two lineman work together when they're on the same page...

But all that being said....Carr still caused atleast two of those Sacks....

Well, he's not used to working with Winston yet either. :)

real
12-05-2006, 09:14 AM
Either way... my main point was that we release tight ends who do not lay hands on anyone.

You know.....It depends on How the DE is ligned up....

If the DE is shaded to the outside of the TE then he doesn't really have to chip that DE....If the DE is wide or head up on the TE just taking an inside realease when he goes into his route should be enough of a speed bump...

If the DE is shaded on the inside shoulder of the DE then chipping would be good, IMO....But I just think it depends...Some OT don't like when the DE is chipped...And if it's a three step drop then there shouldn't be a need for chipping...If you're chipping on three step drops you might as well stay in and block.... D.Carr needs to be decisive on three step drops and realize he doesn't have much time...

HJam72
12-05-2006, 09:16 AM
Or, we could go back to the one step drop. :brickwall

real
12-05-2006, 10:21 AM
Or, we could go back to the one step drop. :brickwall

:crying:

coachdent
12-05-2006, 11:04 AM
You know.....It depends on How the DE is lined up....

If the DE is shaded to the outside of the TE then he doesn't really have to chip that DE....If the DE is wide or head up on the TE just taking an inside realease when he goes into his route should be enough of a speed bump...

If the DE is shaded on the inside shoulder of the DE then chipping would be good, IMO....But I just think it depends...Some OT don't like when the DE is chipped...And if it's a three step drop then there shouldn't be a need for chipping...If you're chipping on three step drops you might as well stay in and block.... D.Carr needs to be decisive on three step drops and realize he doesn't have much time...

Agreed with the DE shaded outside TE. But, in my opinion, this makes for a difficult block for the tackle to get that wide rusher consistently. You need to change it up. The other thing that you need to do is run counter or what is called a G play. In both plays, you take advantage of the wide defensive end and kick him out either with the backside or frontside guard. We ran power lead a bunch with the backside guard pulling and leading infront of the fullback, but we did not kick out the end to take advantage of the wide rush.

I don't know of too many tackles who shun a slam release from the tight end. Everywhere that I have been it has always been a coaching point for our tight ends to make sure that they get hands on if we have a dominant defensive end. The chipping comes from the running back and THAT is an area that some tackles don't like because the running back actually knocks the defender off of the OL's block. BUT...

If that is an issue, the back can still help and it will help our pass protection. Our backs go through a quick, on the fly progression. They are responsible for a specific linebacker. If he comes, they stay in and block that guy. If he does not come, the running back gets out into his route. If there is a outside route to his side, he runs a "check middle" where he looks for an opening in the middle portion of the field. If it is inside route, then the back runs a "check wide" so after he checks blitzer, he fans off to the sidelines and into the flat. What WE have done to help out with the pass rush is we designate a help call. Meaning that instead of check-wide and immediately going to the wide, our back makes sure that the DE has not burst upfield on the outside shoulder of the tackle. Essentially, the tackle knows he has help. The tackle can now be more aggressive and forceful with his block to the inside and guard against the bullrush, knowing he has help to the outside. This dramatically helps the tackle.

eriadoc
12-05-2006, 11:56 AM

I found this extremely funny, given the source.

thunderkyss
12-05-2006, 12:20 PM
Either way... my main point was that we release tight ends who do not lay hands on anyone.

Yup..... I totally agree..... if we do not help on KVB, I'll be very disappointed with our coach.

Then again, if we don't help, & Winston Owns his sorry candy rooty pooty butt.. I'd be very impressed.