PDA

View Full Version : What is the answer? How long do we wait?

whiskeyrbl
12-04-2006, 09:11 AM
Ok I see no matter if Carr completes 22 passes in a row, throws for 300 + yards or -5. alot of people say he sucks. I don't think he sucks, but I think he is just your average QB. He is not our only problem in the pass game, our Oline and RB's and WR"s all play a role in the passing game being successful.
Now for those who want a new QB or a change what is your solution? Draft a QB? Ok say we do that,how long does it take to learn the system, and adjust to the speed of the game? Who says he ever will? Trade Carr and put in Sage. Sage has been around a few years and has never been more than a backup. Why? Van Pelt? Not the answer. Porter? Never played a down in the NFL( real game), I don't think so. Who is out there for FA? if you look on www.theredzone.org/2007/freeagents, the only one I see worth trying for is Damon Huard. Will the Cheifs let him go? Does he want to leave? As impatient as alot of you seem I am really interested,HOW MUCH LONGER are you willing to wait and see by changing QB's?

the wonger need food
12-04-2006, 09:26 AM
Damon Huard looks to be the best option on that list. Simms might not be a bad option either. The best possible scenario is a trade that would unload Carr's contract and bring us some extra draft picks. Then drafting a QB to sit behind a veteran guy for a year while we're rebuilding. I don't think it's unrealistic to think we could be in the playoffs in 2008 with a very young team and our franchise QB defined.

Reddevil63
12-04-2006, 09:28 AM
I don't think it's unrealistic to think we could be in the playoffs in 2008 with a very young team and our franchise QB defined.

Thats fairly optimistic considering we have been "building" around our "franchise QB" for 5 years now and have yet to have a winning season.

TexanFanInCC
12-04-2006, 09:37 AM
i wouldnt want to see huard in a texans uni. to me, hes not a guy to build a winner around. there is a reason why he was trent greens backup. i know he played well, but still. jake plummer would be the move that makes most sense. he knows kubiaks offense and he has postseason experience.

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
12-04-2006, 09:49 AM
i wouldnt want to see huard in a texans uni. to me, hes not a guy to build a winner around. there is a reason why he was trent greens backup. i know he played well, but still. jake plummer would be the move that makes most sense. he knows kubiaks offense and he has postseason experience.

IMHO Plummer is not the answer. Take a look at his past when he was in Az. bad O-line and he was for the most part just as inafective as DC is here in Hou. IMO the only reason he has the #'s in Den. is because of the O-line that has been in place there for ever. I still say we need to draft a QB and give DC next year.

the wonger need food
12-04-2006, 10:08 AM
Plummer, Huard, Simms... none of them are the answer, just a veteran that can manage the game and not constantly turn the ball over. We need to draft a guy that can learn from Kubiak for a year and take over in 2008.

Either way, Carr should be done in Houston after this season. It's time for the team's management to step up and admit their mistake. The longer Carr starts for the team, the farther it puts us behind.

jerek
12-04-2006, 10:15 AM
Damon Huard looks to be the best option on that list. Simms might not be a bad option either. The best possible scenario is a trade that would unload Carr's contract and bring us some extra draft picks. Then drafting a QB to sit behind a veteran guy for a year while we're rebuilding. I don't think it's unrealistic to think we could be in the playoffs in 2008 with a very young team and our franchise QB defined.

Simms? Wtf? ... Oh that's right ... Simms has "won" games ... At least he's a UT alum, that will shut up half the complainers.

The realist in me notes that we're almost certainly not going to cut Carr this offseason. He'll get one more year.

If we were going to cut Carr, I honestly have no idea who I'd want to pick up. There isn't any must-have rookie this year and FA is weak.

Double Barrel
12-04-2006, 10:28 AM
I don't think he sucks, but I think he is just your average QB.

This is about the best we can hope for with Carr right now. But being 'average' does not justify his salary, so it is part of the problem in getting a team of good players to surround an average QB.

Sage has been around a few years and has never been more than a backup. Why?

Sage never had Kubiak as a coach, either. I'm not a Rosenfels-homer, but he is Kubiak's first QB pickup. And he's had moments of shine when he's had a chance to play. He's not the long-term answer, but I can see him competing for the short-term job as we develop a young QB we pick up in the draft.

We wait four more games and then KA-POW!, the off-season is upon us and Kubiak has some tough decisions to make.

CoastalTexan
12-04-2006, 10:32 AM
I'd say trade carr for whatever you could get for him (if anything). Pick up Plummer for a 1-2 year deal. Draft Kolb or Palko or someone similar who Kubiak could mold into "His QB". You'd have to have 3 qbs on the roster but I don't know what else they could do.

eriadoc
12-04-2006, 11:15 AM
I say go after Schaub. In today's NFL, QBs that are drafted highly have so much pressure put on them to win from the start. Ideally, you would like to have the luxury of sitting one, letting him learn, and then putting him in there. That is how you see guys like Brady, Romo, and others do so well. They had a chance to learn. Schaub has had a chance to learn a West Coast-style offense, has shown some talent in preseason and in one regular season game, and he's still young. If we draft a QB, we will have to develop him, but we most likely won't - we'll thrust him into the starter's role right away. At least in Schaub's case, he's somewhat developed, and on someone else's dime. Plus, I really think he could do well if given a shot. Kubiak as his coach won't hurt, either.