PDA

View Full Version : Tackle or Guard?

TexansSeminole
12-04-2006, 12:32 AM
Do we need a more and better tackles or guards? Which spot do you think is weaker for us?

Vinny
12-04-2006, 12:35 AM
yes

Maddict5
12-04-2006, 12:36 AM
both- but tackle is horrible

HJam72
12-04-2006, 12:37 AM
Totally depends on what happens with Spencer, as far as which situation is worse, but we need both--right after we draft a corner or FS in the first round and get a veteran to play the other.

run-david-run
12-04-2006, 12:41 AM
Totally depends on what happens with Spencer, as far as which situation is worse, but we need both--right after we draft a corner or FS in the first round and get a veteran to play the other.

i think we are going to be too high to draft a saftey...unless we beat the titans and browns (unlikley) we are going to be in the top 5, so its probably going to be Thomas, Hall or trade down

Scooter
12-04-2006, 12:41 AM
both. we're in almost identical situations on the right side. weary's a backup at best who can be good but is entirely too inconsistant. winston is most deffinately a work in progress still and should be a backup at most (and might actually be better at a guard position). we need starters for both sides on the right, we need a backup center to groom in order to replace flanagan by the end of next season, and assuming spencer comes back we need a better backup than salaam. i havent gone back and rewatched the game to see how hodgdon really did, but from what i took notice to, he's not the answer.

going into next year we'll have spencer, pitts, flanagan, & winston ... only 2 of which are obvious starters. we need everything.

TexansSeminole
12-04-2006, 12:42 AM
i think we are going to be too high to draft a saftey...unless we beat the titans and browns (unlikley) we are going to be in the top 5, so its probably going to be Thomas, Hall or trade down

Are you saying that we can't beat the Pats or the Colts?

Vinny
12-04-2006, 12:44 AM
Hodgdon doesn't have enough junk in the trunk...I'm sure he will always struggle in the power department. I don't think he is going to make it long term. Our Tackle play is bad...our Guard play is very good at times, mediocre at other times, and better run blocking than they are at pass protecting...although you can't tell it in the last few games.

DontTreadOnMe
12-04-2006, 12:48 AM
we should trade down if the opportunity arises... we need so much help in so many areas.. we have to accumulate as much talent as possible.... things are taking shape.. we will be solid in another year or two.. just look at kubes first draft, very very solid. we have doubled our win total from last year, and i think we can win 3 out of our last 4 games to finish the year at 7-9, giving our players, coaches, and fans reason to believe that we can be a very good team by going 7-9 in an injury riddled season.

TexansSeminole
12-04-2006, 12:48 AM
I think it would be in our best interest to grab a tackle off FA and draft a guard. I know we need help at both positions.

Vinny
12-04-2006, 12:49 AM
I think it would be in our best interest to grab a tackle off FA and draft a guard. I know we need help at both positions.
It's easier to do the opposite. Teams rarely let go of good tackles (either that or you overpay for guys like Todd Wade). You can find good FA Guards every year for the most part. You generally have to draft your bookends since they are more scarce...generally. Personally, I don't think we need a Guard. I think Weary and Pitts will be fine by next year after a year in this system. We do need a center though.

TexansSeminole
12-04-2006, 12:54 AM
It's easier to do the opposite. Teams rarely let go of good tackles. You can find good FA Guards every year. You generally have to draft your bookends...generally.

I didn't say it would be easy haha. It would be best if we could do that...but I don't think it will happen. If Spencer is out, which it looks like he is, I'd bet we drafted another left tackle on the first day. I just wonder if they will draft a guard that high also this year. We really need to deal some of these players for draft picks. Seems our roster needs a pretty thorough change.

Vinny
12-04-2006, 12:57 AM
I didn't say it would be easy haha. It would be best if we could do that...but I don't think it will happen. If Spencer is out, which it looks like he is, I'd bet we drafted another left tackle on the first day. I just wonder if they will draft a guard that high also this year. imo, no way....I think we are set at guard. We need a tackle and a center.

TexansSeminole
12-04-2006, 01:02 AM
I don't like Weary all that much. McKinney and Flanagan are about the same for me. They are both getting older, more injury prone now, starting to lose what they had. They both need replacements...so I guess you could say they are both pretty big needs.

Vinny
12-04-2006, 01:04 AM
If you look closely, Weary flat out plows his man and wins most of his battles. He struggles with some hand work and gets beat inside with a good 3 technique pass rusher at times...but he is just starting to find himself as a player now that he starts. I think we will see Pitts and Weary as our Guard tandem for a while.

TexansSeminole
12-04-2006, 01:08 AM
If you look closely, Weary flat out plows his man and wins most of his battles. He struggles with some hand work and gets beat inside with a good 3 technique pass rusher at times...but he is just starting to find himself as a player now that he starts. I think we will see Pitts and Weary as our Guard tandem for a while.

I sure hope your right, the more players we can salvage from this roster the better. He really fits a need IMO too, because I have been thinking about McKinney's successor all year.

Vinny
12-04-2006, 01:11 AM
...but then again, all this Weary-love is coming from the guy with the big Fred avatar. :tearup:

Scooter
12-04-2006, 01:12 AM

weary gets plowed though too often in pass protection and what concerns me is the blitz/stunt pickup on that right side. i dont really watch close enough to lay blame, but i'd like to see weary become a lot more consistant in pass pro before trusting him as next season's starter.

Vinny
12-04-2006, 01:25 AM
weary gets plowed though too often in pass protection and what concerns me is the blitz/stunt pickup on that right side. i dont really watch close enough to lay blame, but i'd like to see weary become a lot more consistant in pass pro before trusting him as next season's starter.I think he does fine when surrounded with decent players...but with Hodgdon on one side and Winston on the other he has no chance. Watch some of the games from early in the season and watch his explosion...he's clocking people left and right. Right now he has no help on either side of him.

TexansSeminole
12-04-2006, 01:32 AM
I think he does fine when surrounded with decent players...but with Hodgdon on one side and Winston on the other he has no chance. Watch some of the games from early in the season and watch his explosion...he's clocking people left and right. Right now he has no help on either side of him.

That's very true. Considering its a zone blocking scheme too, dependent on the unit to be dominant.

brewhaus
12-04-2006, 04:21 AM
Do we need a more and better tackles or guards? Which spot do you think is weaker for us?

They both need equal attention. And, the Texans could stand to invest in a center as well.

mancunian
12-04-2006, 04:45 AM
Hodgdon doesn't have enough junk in the trunk...I'm sure he will always struggle in the power department. I don't think he is going to make it long term. Our Tackle play is bad...our Guard play is very good at times, mediocre at other times, and better run blocking than they are at pass protecting...although you can't tell it in the last few games.

could Hodgdon be moved to guard?

dbspi
12-04-2006, 05:00 AM
According to Kubiak, Hogdon is too small to play guard. I agree with tackle and center needs on the team even if Spencer comes back healthy. I like to see Spencer moved over to RT and draft tackle in round 1.

My concern with this draft is that Joe Thomas will be drafted ahead of us by Arizona and if Gaither doesn't declare for draft then who should we take.

This year OC position is not as strong as last year - Kyle Young, Datish, Kalil, etc.

We also have huge hole at FS, CB2, OLB, DT

Travis Johnson has been BUST so far.

I really like to see Texans spend some money this off season and pick up Clements and Briggs and draft FS in round 2 if we are spending round one on LT, round 3 - OLB/OC

FanFromCali
12-04-2006, 07:53 AM
Both, and a center.

I know that is unrealistic so Let's draft a OT in the first round and pick up another decent lineman in free agency or later in the draft.

2nd round pick has to be a DB.

TheOgre
12-04-2006, 08:11 AM
This O-line has been bush league since its inception. I've wanted a stud OLT for quite a while. If we have a shot at one in the first, take him. Otherwise I think we look at finding a CB, stud RB, FS, and a center in this offseason. OLB is a need too, but I think this team will go nowhere with this secondary and rushing attack.

Texans Horror
12-04-2006, 08:14 AM
I thought we drafted two good tackles last season. Are we ready to declare Spencer a loss to injury (I think I have heard otherwise) or are we ready to declare Winston a bust (I hope not - this is his first season)? Or are we moving Winston to guard and getting a new tackle?

The Texans need help on the inside. They should draft a Center.

eriadoc
12-04-2006, 08:29 AM
I agree with Vinny here. Fred Weary and Chester Pitts show the promise of being solid NFL starters at the Guard position. Salaam has seen his best days. Winston didn't beat out Wiegert or Spencer for either tackle position in TC. Spencer showed promise, but we're not sure about the injury situation and the coaches shouldn't plan on any one player anyway. Tackle and Center are big needs here. Center can be drafted later, but solid, long-term tackles are usually drafted in the first round.

Runner
12-04-2006, 08:43 AM
I agree with Vinny here. Fred Weary and Chester Pitts show the promise of being solid NFL starters at the Guard position. Salaam has seen his best days. Winston didn't beat out Wiegert or Spencer for either tackle position in TC.

I don't know - Weary looked very bad on some plays ytesterday. He got flat out pancaked once, and his stunt recognition was poor. I do entertain the possibility that playing between Winston and Hodgdon is effecting his play and making him appear worse than he is.

eriadoc
12-04-2006, 08:53 AM
I don't know - Weary looked very bad on some plays ytesterday. He got flat out pancaked once, and his stunt recognition was poor. I do entertain the possibility that playing between Winston and Hodgdon is effecting his play and making him appear worse than he is.

I agree with this as well. I'm just saying that Pitts and Weary show the promise (or potential, if you prefer that "P" word, hehe) of being solid NFL starters. I do think better tackle play will translate to better line play as a whole. Right now, they're all very inconsistent.

Texans Horror
12-04-2006, 09:28 AM
I just don't know what to say about Pitts and Weary. I don't consider either one of them rookies who need more seasoning - they've both played on this team for years and have seen good, especially Pitts. Also, it's not that they've looked good. It's that they haven't looked as bad as the rest. Could we upgrade talent at the guard position? I think so. Would it help as much as upgrading talent at the center position, though? I'm not sure. I think that is why I have kind of left guard alone. A complete overhaul of the line would be fantastic, but is not very realistic.