PDA

View Full Version : Objective...leave Whining At The Door...

coachdent
12-03-2006, 08:30 PM
I charted our offense and defense today and saw some very positive as well as some disturbing trends as well. I am about ready to break out into hives reading some of the crap on this board by whining fans who just predictably go down the same path week after week... They will be ignored, lets move on....

The Positives and there were a number of them.

DEFENSIVE:

Many people do not fully realize the impact of Mario Williams. He was awesome today. Here are some stats that will NOT show up in the boxscore that registered him for 2 tackles:

*He had four hurries, including one that caused an interception.
*He drew two holding penalties on runs, both at the point of attack.
*The Raiders ran the ball 22 times with Mario on the field. Guess how many times they ran to his side?
THREE
That is amazing. Three running plays to him for a grand total of four yards. Lat year we were dead last against the run and this year we are up to around 17th or so, despite dealing with some injuries to our interior linemen.

DeMeco was incredible! 14 tackles, a sack, a forced fumble, a fumble recovery an interception and a partridge in a pear tree! I think he even drove the bus to the airport after the game! Rookie of the year defensively.

+Loved seeing Faggins scoop and score
-Felt ill watching Faggins tackle and cover

+Up out of my seat cheering Mathis almost bust one
-Just about lost my spleen when Mathis tried to come out of the endzone.

OFFENSE

All of the Ron Dayne haters should observe at the very least, a brief moment of silence. The Tastycake sign in the endzone must have had the big guy motivated because he was the Pillsbury doughboy on the loose! All kidding aside, Dayne provided us with some much needed physical punch in the run game. We were able to pound the rock on the Raiders very well in the second half.

I got real excited when on the first play of the game, we opened with a spread set, bunch right and then ran outside zone left to the tight end. Lundy pushed his aiming point beautifully and we had seven yards. I've got to tell you, I was more than a little excited. We ran SIX "true" zone plays today out of the one back:
That's pretty nice production. Kinda wish we would do more of that.

Edited 12/4
Edited...because originally, I was pleasantly suprised by the awesome performance of our fullback Jamel Cook. I have been very critical of Jamel here, but thought it refreshing to see that he had played an excellent game. As it turns out...he didn't! It was Vonta Leach! So I can stand by my initial critiques of Cook. I Vant to Vatch More Vonta!

*I will note this however. You can't run 19 lead plays against most NFL defenses and get away with it. 21 plays Vonta was on the field and 19 of those run plays went to where he was leading. That sucks. We have not run a counter all year long. I'm thinking it might go for 40 yards. Send the fullback left and block the DT, pull the guard and tackle and you are off to the friggin' races because no one is there boys!

Here are some trends for you:
18 times we were in some sort of I-formation = we ran 17 times
*Last week I wrote a piece on here about the hardest block to make for a tackle was when he had a tight end releasing and he had to block the defensive end. FOUR of the sacks today came to the side of the tight end releasing and we also had a holding penalty.
*Our tight ends stayed into block ZERO times.
*Our backs stayed in to help out and max protect ZERO times.

Those last two are a stone cold disgrace. When you are struggling with protection, you MUST keep your backs in to block. You must vary your protections and keep a tight end in to block every once in a while to keep the defense guessing.

-Here's the deal... If you keep a tight end in to block, that helps the tackle with the DE AND it takes a defender out of coverage. He will sit on the tight end before releasing into coverage, thus opening passing lanes for the wide outs. Our clunker tight ends take forever to get downfield and clog things up.

-In additon...we're not missing assignments, the protection scheme is flawed. I can show you on a board, but we do not slide protection to the tight end when he goes out. When you don't, and you don't have the back going to that side, you have a sack. We were in that situation twice today. I have seen it before as well.

Critiques offensively:
**It is beyond my comprehension how we cannot get into a shotgun to give us time to throw the football. When we go spread it is just a three step drop festival of short routes.

**As we had success running the football, we ran a total of 1 playaction pass off of it! How can we run ten play action passes one week when we can't run the ball a lick, and then the following week we have success running the ball and never go back to it? The one play action was so bad that the primary receiver in the flat was triple covered. That is bad playcalling 101.

**To help with protection, in addition to keeping backs and tight ends to block, you need to vary the launching point of the quarterback. Carr is a friggin' sitting duck back there and it is borderline criminal to watch him set up in the same spot every time. A true roll out. A seven step drop. A three step Run & Shoot roll where he is throwing on the run. Many different ways to move the pocket. We create a statue with a bullseye. Move him!!!!

People seem to forget that while Oakland is not that good overall, they are ranked seventh in the NFL in total defense.

Overall:
There was one play that I think typifies our season and a lot of posters here on the message boards. Losing does this to people. My own team had a stretch of this during a losing streak this year with our season. It absolutely cannot happen. Mathis almost went the distance. Then Lundy rolls in from 3 yards out. Not ONE offensive player went to him to congratulate him. Not ONE. The team was not excited. The offense was not celebrating. They just went along in a businesslike fashion.

When you react this way, you are not going to be successful in anything you do. That, to me, was the most disappointing thing about today.

In closing, I am happy with the win. Very happy with the defense and dreaming of adding more players to the fold. We just don't have enough players right now. Looking forward to Mario and the boys breaking Tennessee's QB in half.

Maddict5
12-03-2006, 08:48 PM
^good post- mine wont be as detailed but this is what i noticed:

Defence-

a) it looked like we blitzed alot- even sending 6 or 7 a couple times
b)tackling all round looked very good
c)greenwood looked good to me eventhough he gets alot of heat around here

Offence
a) dayne was good obviously
b) it looked like we called alot of very similiar passing plays- no variety
c) we were best when running up the gut- suppose hodgon,weary and pitts deserve credit

ST
Kris brown reacted well after missing the 1st fg- you could see he adjusted to the left-to-right wind well...
I ,literally, was in shock when i saw mathis take it out of the endzone after fumbling..how can a pro-bowl nfl returner do that?? anyway chalk it up to enthiusiasm after his layoff..made up for it with the other return(that i missed!!:francis:) def glad to have him back- loved the PR ploy using mathis- hated the player that didnt bother blocking the punter

dat_boy_yec
12-03-2006, 08:49 PM
Wow, that is a great breakdown. I hope you do this every week. I gotta say I'm impressed.

Question. Do you think the players are loosing confidence in the play-calling. Maybe that's a factor in why they're no longer excited or anything. I think we noticed this beginning last week as well. Our guys just seemed unmotivated on offense. Another thing which you might not be able to answer, but it's been bugging me. Do you think all the offensive minds are on the same page? I feel maybe it's a battle of wills with Calhoun, Sherman, and Kubiak having influence on the offensive play-calling. What do you think about this. Our defense seems to be on the same page because they got one person in charge of it. I'm sorry if I'm rambling it's just so few and far between posters that are as knowledgeable as you. Just wanted to see what you thought.

eriadoc
12-03-2006, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the insight. This is a great thread-strater and 100% more intelligent and productive than the dozens of Carr threads.

To add an observation to the above - McCleon had a good day. He made one bad play that cost us a TD (not blocking the kicker on Wynn's punt return), but he also came up with an INT and he forced the fumble that Ryans recovered. For a limited role, I think he did well. For this team to do well, they need to get good production from less-than-premium talent. I still wish he'd blocked the kicker, though.

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
12-03-2006, 08:55 PM
Coach Dent you had me at Tastycakes, man 'Ill be laughing about that line into next season. Great insight in your breakdown and thanks for keeping it POSITIVE for a change.(in regards to the MB not you personally) Great read cant wait for next week, hope DeMeco has the same kind of game aginst you-know-who.

coachdent
12-03-2006, 08:59 PM
Wow, that is a great breakdown. I hope you do this every week. I gotta say I'm impressed.

Question. Do you think the players are loosing confidence in the play-calling. Maybe that's a factor in why they're no longer excited or anything. I think we noticed this beginning last week as well. Our guys just seemed unmotivated on offense. Another thing which you might not be able to answer, but it's been bugging me. Do you think all the offensive minds are on the same page? I feel maybe it's a battle of wills with Calhoun, Sherman, and Kubiak having influence on the offensive play-calling. What do you think about this. Our defense seems to be on the same page because they got one person in charge of it. I'm sorry if I'm rambling it's just so few and far between posters that are as knowledgeable as you. Just wanted to see what you thought.

Very good point. There does seem to be a pulling by this offense in a bunch of different directions and ultimately it leads to the conclusion or question....what are we? Who are we?

I believe that you must have an identity offensively. What are we? Multiple. We can get in all of these different sets and do this and that. But ultimately, when you are multiple, you are equally ineffective at a lot of things and master of none. At least that is what I think.

I'm a spread guy. On this board, there are a lot of people who go VY and all that...and I am not going to debate that here. I will say simply, that if Norm Chow or I were running that offense in Houston and Tennessee was running this offense there, the records would probably be reversed.

prostock101
12-03-2006, 09:03 PM
Great post again, Coach. One area I thought really suffered again was the kicking game. Brown finally came through but Stanley's punting was just terrible. If we can drop Buchanon like a bad habit why can't we dump Stanley? Surely there's a decent kicker around looking for a job.

Maddict5
12-03-2006, 09:07 PM
Very good point. There does seem to be a pulling by this offense in a bunch of different directions and ultimately it leads to the conclusion or question....what are we? Who are we?

I believe that you must have an identity offensively. What are we? Multiple. We can get in all of these different sets and do this and that. But ultimately, when you are multiple, you are equally ineffective at a lot of things and master of none. At least that is what I think.

I'm a spread guy. On this board, there are a lot of people who go VY and all that...and I am not going to debate that here. I will say simply, that if Norm Chow or I were running that offense in Houston and Tennessee was running this offense there, the records would probably be reversed.

exactly we always seem to run an I formation or a singleback with 2 TE's- WHY DO WE TRY AND KEEP THE OFFENCE BUNCHED- IT PLAYS INTO THE D'S HANDS???????? ESPECIALLY IF, AS YOU SAY, THEY WERENT EVEN BLOCKING:confused:

Maddict5
12-03-2006, 09:09 PM
Great post again, Coach. One area I thought really suffered again was the kicking game. Brown finally came through but Stanley's punting was just terrible. If we can drop Buchanon like a bad habit why can't we dump Stanley? Surely there's a decent kicker around looking for a job.

our punting team was horrible all day- stanley has to go imo and the gunners were very bad aswell- carr was returning the short punts and they (andersen i think) had a penalty for going OB

coachdent
12-03-2006, 09:12 PM
Amen about the punting... seems like a season long frustration there.

The biggest complaint that I have about our formations is that they rarely do anything to gain the offense an advantage.

Oakland, for example, came out in a tight end set to the right and then flopped him over to the left to get him away from Mario when he was going with the tight end.

TexanFan881
12-03-2006, 09:23 PM
loved the PR ploy using mathis- hated the player that didnt bother blocking the punter

If I'm not mistaken (I was listening on the radio) it was Dexter McCleon who missed the block (correct me if I'm wrong). He did his fair share today (an INT and FF) so I guess he made up for that :)

Ibar_Harry
12-03-2006, 09:25 PM
I charted our offense and defense today and saw some very positive as well as some disturbing trends as well. I am about ready to break out into hives reading some of the crap on this board by whining fans who just predictably go down the same path week after week... They will be ignored, lets move on....

The Positives and there were a number of them.

DEFENSIVE:

Many people do not fully realize the impact of Mario Williams. He was awesome today. Here are some stats that will NOT show up in the boxscore that registered him for 2 tackles:

*He had four hurries, including one that caused an interception.
*He drew two holding penalties on runs, both at the point of attack.
*The Raiders ran the ball 22 times with Mario on the field. Guess how many times they ran to his side?
THREE
That is amazing. Three running plays to him for a grand total of four yards. Lat year we were dead last against the run and this year we are up to around 17th or so, despite dealing with some injuries to our interior linemen.

DeMeco was incredible! 14 tackles, a sack, a forced fumble, a fumble recovery an interception and a partridge in a pear tree! I think he even drove the bus to the airport after the game! Rookie of the year defensively.

+Loved seeing Faggins scoop and score
-Felt ill watching Faggins tackle and cover

+Up out of my seat cheering Mathis almost bust one
-Just about lost my spleen when Mathis tried to come out of the endzone.

OFFENSE

All of the Ron Dayne haters should observe at the very least, a brief moment of silence. The Tastycake sign in the endzone must have had the big guy motivated because he was the Pillsbury doughboy on the loose! All kidding aside, Dayne provided us with some much needed physical punch in the run game. We were able to pound the rock on the Raiders very well in the second half.

I got real excited when on the first play of the game, we opened with a spread set, bunch right and then ran outside zone left to the tight end. Lundy pushed his aiming point beautifully and we had seven yards. I've got to tell you, I was more than a little excited. We ran SIX "true" zone plays today out of the one back:
That's pretty nice production. Kinda wish we would do more of that.

Now.....
:shots: ...this is not easy for me...
But I have to say that I was happy with the performance of Jamel Cook today.:yikes:

See that people? You can be objective! He did very well leading for Dayne today. We ran lead 19 times today and Cook did a nice job on those plays.

*I will note this however. You can't run 19 lead plays against most NFL defenses and get away with it. 21 plays Cook was on the field and 19 of those run plays went to where he was leading. That sucks. We have not run a counter all year long. I'm thinking it might go for 40 yards. Send Cook left and block the DT, pull the guard and tackle and you are off to the friggin' races because no one is there boys! But I digress....Jamel, Well done my man! Well done.

Here are some trends for you:
18 times we were in some sort of I-formation = we ran 17 times
*Last week I wrote a piece on here about the hardest block to make for a tackle was when he had a tight end releasing and he had to block the defensive end. FOUR of the sacks today came to the side of the tight end releasing and we also had a holding penalty.
*Our tight ends stayed into block ZERO times.
*Our backs stayed in to help out and max protect ZERO times.

Those last two are a stone cold disgrace. When you are struggling with protection, you MUST keep your backs in to block. You must vary your protections and keep a tight end in to block every once in a while to keep the defense guessing.

-Here's the deal... If you keep a tight end in to block, that helps the tackle with the DE AND it takes a defender out of coverage. He will sit on the tight end before releasing into coverage, thus opening passing lanes for the wide outs. Our clunker tight ends take forever to get downfield and clog things up.

-In additon...we're not missing assignments, the protection scheme is flawed. I can show you on a board, but we do not slide protection to the tight end when he goes out. When you don't, and you don't have the back going to that side, you have a sack. We were in that situation twice today. I have seen it before as well.

Critiques offensively:
**It is beyond my comprehension how we cannot get into a shotgun to give us time to throw the football. When we go spread it is just a three step drop festival of short routes.

**As we had success running the football, we ran a total of 1 playaction pass off of it! How can we run ten play action passes one week when we can't run the ball a lick, and then the following week we have success running the ball and never go back to it? The one play action was so bad that the primary receiver in the flat was triple covered. That is bad playcalling 101.

**To help with protection, in addition to keeping backs and tight ends to block, you need to vary the launching point of the quarterback. Carr is a friggin' sitting duck back there and it is borderline criminal to watch him set up in the same spot every time. A true roll out. A seven step drop. A three step Run & Shoot roll where he is throwing on the run. Many different ways to move the pocket. We create a statue with a bullseye. Move him!!!!

People seem to forget that while Oakland is not that good overall, they are ranked seventh in the NFL in total defense.

Overall:
There was one play that I think typifies our season and a lot of posters here on the message boards. Losing does this to people. My own team had a stretch of this during a losing streak this year with our season. It absolutely cannot happen. Mathis almost went the distance. Then Lundy rolls in from 3 yards out. Not ONE offensive player went to him to congratulate him. Not ONE. The team was not excited. The offense was not celebrating. They just went along in a businesslike fashion.

When you react this way, you are not going to be successful in anything you do. That, to me, was the most disappointing thing about today.

In closing, I am happy with the win. Very happy with the defense and dreaming of adding more players to the fold. We just don't have enough players right now. Looking forward to Mario and the boys breaking Tennessee's QB in half.

Actually coach Marciano called another good play on the fake hand off to Mathis on the punt return. Since Mathis had recently returned the kickoff they were just a tab bit nervous about him and it made the fake hand off work. Your analysis is an inditment of the coaching staff and I believe they are not a whole lot better than Capers and staff. I think Kubiak is an extemely lousy play caller, game manager, and game planner.

I too like what I saw from Mario today and of course Ryans is the real thing. However, as I also stated, its hard to evaluate this defensive performance based on Oakland. Let's see what we look like when we play the Titans.

I noticed the TV announcers were also wondering why Carr wasn't being moved around to vary the pocket. I think part of the answer is they were overwhelming our line so bad that you couldn't move to one side or the other. To me, however, the biggest defect of this game plan was that Oakland's strength is pass defense. We had to run the ball to win this game and Kubiak tried to call this game going against the strength of Oakland. We did not match up well against their defense and it certainly showed. I thought we planned very poorly for this game.

Another very apparent weakness is our punting game and we were made very painfully aware of it in this game. Yes, Oakland has one of the best, but it shows you what happens when you have a good punter. Stanly simply isn't cutting in anymore.

The bright side is that youth won this game and we won a game we should not have won. Oakland gave this game away and they knew it. We tried to give it away, but failed miserably in trying to do it. I guess there is some solice in that fact.

wwffan99tx
12-03-2006, 09:33 PM
Didn't read all the posts, but Cook didn't play today. It was Leach at FB today.

TexansTailg8r
12-03-2006, 09:35 PM
Amen about the punting... seems like a season long frustration there.

The biggest complaint that I have about our formations is that they rarely do anything to gain the offense an advantage.

Oakland, for example, came out in a tight end set to the right and then flopped him over to the left to get him away from Mario when he was going with the tight end.

Ok coach, let me ask you this, if you had the call here would you replace Carr, or fix the o-line? With a decent line, would carr be fixable?

Ibar_Harry
12-03-2006, 09:37 PM
Sorry, but Sherman should probably replace Kubiak. Now we can start a real rousing debate.

thunderkyss
12-03-2006, 09:46 PM
coachdent..... good post.

but I'm starting to get the feeling that you aren't a big fan of Kubiak. I understand you use the ZBS with your team, & there is a bit of a difference in philosophy with they way you run it, and the way kubiak runs it.

I'm watching Denver right now, and everything you don't like, they also do. Fullback, lots of TE sets...... releasing the TE....

& I'm pretty sure Washington plays it the same way.

We actually look more like the 'Skins, with the size of our guys.

But, overall, a good post. Some good points. and best of all, good attitude.

gameguy89
12-03-2006, 09:49 PM
:lightbulb:

I think I'm going to start a campaign.

coachdent to replace Kubiak

:redtowel:

thunderkyss
12-03-2006, 09:51 PM
Sorry, but Sherman should probably replace Kubiak. Now we can start a real rousing debate.

You're just so funny. You hate Kubiak for his playcalling.

Sooner or later, you'll realize the playcalling is a result of haveing David Carr behind the center. If we get another QB back their, this would be a totally different team.

This is not a knock on Carr. This is the truth. Kubiak is trying to find stuff Carr is comfortable with..... but there are only so many ways you can draw in a quick slant to Andre... There are only so many plays that do not utilize the middle of the field, and every play has to have the safety valve sitting withing 4 yards of the LOS.

We're trying to help Carr experience success, so he can grow to the point where he can lead this team.

That, and our offensive line can't block for our RBs. But, our last two losses came against teams with horrid offensive lines as well.

dat_boy_yec
12-03-2006, 10:10 PM

Sooner or later, you'll realize the playcalling is a result of haveing David Carr behind the center. If we get another QB back their, this would be a totally different team.

This is not a knock on Carr. This is the truth. Kubiak is trying to find stuff Carr is comfortable with..... but there are only so many ways you can draw in a quick slant to Andre... There are only so many plays that do not utilize the middle of the field, and every play has to have the safety valve sitting withing 4 yards of the LOS.

We're trying to help Carr experience success, so he can grow to the point where he can lead this team.

That, and our offensive line can't block for our RBs. But, our last two losses came against teams with horrid offensive lines as well.

Of course it would be a different team. That doesn't mean it would be a better team. If Kubiak is trying to baby the QB than guess what Kubiak is at fault. If he's worried about one player than that means he's not worried about the team. One player does not a team make. Only so many ways to draw up a quick slant to AJ? True. Then why not draw up a quick slant for Moulds, why not one of Daniels? It seems he's trying to baby the offense because he's obviously not challenging them to be better. He's not showing any faith in their skills if he's doing this and they in kind will not show faith in his play calling if he has this attitude.

TexasJedi
12-03-2006, 10:28 PM
Didn't read all the posts, but Cook didn't play today. It was Leach at FB today.
Yeah you are right. The question is whether the running game was better, at least in part, because Leach was at FB and not Cook? Of course Dayne's performance and determination had more to do with it than anything.

coachdent
12-03-2006, 10:49 PM

Holy crap! You know what? You are right! That was Vonta Leach in there! I'm not sure if he was in there the whole time, but I definitely remember a replay where I said to myself, "damn Cook just blew that dude up!

I feel vindicated again!

Maddict5
12-03-2006, 10:52 PM
^yeah cook was inactive...it never registered with me when i read your first post though

coachdent
12-03-2006, 10:55 PM
Ok coach, let me ask you this, if you had the call here would you replace Carr, or fix the o-line? With a decent line, would carr be fixable?

Fix the offensive line. Five guys upfront are the key to what makes the world go 'round in the NFL. I gotta put whoever is back there in the shotgun. Either that, or give the guy a small firearm to carry by his side... that way he can just put it to his temple every time we go two tight ends, fullback and AJ on third and long. Just put everyone out of their misery! I do not like to be critical of coaches but at the risk of sounding like a third grade teacher, "You can't do that!!"

TexansLucky13
12-03-2006, 10:56 PM
So was he active or not? I wasn't paying attention to that today.

TexasJedi
12-03-2006, 11:00 PM
So was he active or not? I wasn't paying attention to that today.
Cook did not dress, something to do with his knee.

coachdent
12-03-2006, 11:09 PM

None of the following is on Carr.

-Two and three tight end sets on the field in obvious passing downs.
-Releasing the backs, despite the OLine showing no signs of protecting.
***How can you CONSTANTLY put the offensive line in one-on-one situations and give them NO HELP? How? We have a rookie right tackle who is getting the NFL experience live and in living color every week and yet we give the kid NO HELP EVERY WEEK! In fact, by putting a tight end next to him and releasing that tight end, we make Winston try to execute THE most difficult block for a tackle to make. Why?
-Releasing tight ends on every pass play and not changing up that scheme to keep them in to block. Heck they don't even lay a GLOVE on the defensive ends as they release! It is called a slam release. Smack the DE and then get into your route. Not rocket science. It would help Winston DRAMATICALLY because he could now set and not have a speeding gorilla bearing down on him immediately every play.
-Relying almost exclusively on a pass game that is derived FROM the run game. Most offenses have a pass scheme and a run scheme. ALL of our big plays come off of run fakes...play action, boots. We don't run jack in our dropback passing game. It is very simplistic and obviously poor.
-No shotgun at all. All the protection problems and we can't put the guy in the gun? :gun: Please.

Not ONE of those is on Carr. ALL of those reasons are HUGE reasons for the lack of success in the pass game.

Does he hang on to the ball too long? Yes. All QBs do.
Does he make some bad decisions? Yes. All QBs do.
Does he fumble too much? Yes. More than most but he is also sacked more than anyone. He also damn near got decapitated today AND he hung on. (The ground caused that fumble and should have been overturned.)

I think Kubiak is still kicking the tires and trying to find his own system and how it fits in Houston. Denver is Denver and this is Houston. You can't just xerox an offense and make it go wherever you go, especially in the first season. I am a bit exasperated over what I think are some technical issues with our schemes and I think they need to be addressed.

Ibar_Harry
12-03-2006, 11:19 PM

***How can you CONSTANTLY put the offensive line in one-on-one situations and give them NO HELP? How? We have a rookie right tackle who is getting the NFL experience live and in living color every week and yet we give the kid NO HELP EVERY WEEK! In fact, by putting a tight end next to him and releasing that tight end, we make Winston try to execute THE most difficult block for a tackle to make. Why?
-Releasing tight ends on every pass play and not changing up that scheme to keep them in to block. Heck they don't even lay a GLOVE on the defensive ends as they release! It is called a slam release. Smack the DE and then get into your route. Not rocket science. It would help Winston DRAMATICALLY because he could now set and not have a speeding gorilla bearing down on him immediately every play.
-Relying almost exclusively on a pass game that is derived FROM the run game. Most offenses have a pass scheme and a run scheme. ALL of our big plays come off of run fakes...play action, boots. We don't run jack in our dropback passing game. It is very simplistic and obviously poor.
-No shotgun at all. All the protection problems and we can't put the guy in the gun? :gun: Please.

Not ONE of those is on Carr. ALL of those reasons are HUGE reasons for the lack of success in the pass game.

Does he hang on to the ball too long? Yes. All QBs do.
Does he make some bad decisions? Yes. All QBs do.
Does he fumble too much? Yes. More than most but he is also sacked more than anyone. He also damn near got decapitated today AND he hung on. (The ground caused that fumble and should have been overturned.)

I think Kubiak is still kicking the tires and trying to find his own system and how it fits in Houston. Denver is Denver and this is Houston. You can't just xerox an offense and make it go wherever you go, especially in the first season. I am a bit exasperated over what I think are some technical issues with our schemes and I think they need to be addressed.

The Capers problem of trying of run an offense that you don't have the personnel to run. I have argued over and over again that when we tried to go to the zone blocking scheme we were headed for trouble because it is a scheme designed for running and not protecting the QB. You can not show two types of schemes and expect the defense not to recognize when you are running and not running. The more I say the more angry I get at the absolute incompetence we have seen with our coaching staffs. Quite frankly, the only shinning light has been Marciano...........

CoastalTexan
12-03-2006, 11:21 PM
Would it make sense for Mcnair to give Kubiak the rest of the season to evaluate and decide on Carr. Putting him in different situations to see how he reacts? If he is worth keeping or to scrap him? It would seem Kubiak being an "offensive" coach that he would pick up on the offensive line being worthless and would use other techniques to his advantage. Because if he thought Carr was worth keeping I dont think he would have called those plays that don't protect him. I always thought this season was to just see who stays and who goes, but I didn't expect it to be breaking the team down and building them up (at least the defense).

thunderkyss
12-04-2006, 12:00 AM

I disagree.

& more times than not, they release into the field as recievers. Dallas does it. Washington does it, & Denver does it.

I'm not a QB. I've never played on offense. So I don't know how that's supposed to work. But I know the center, and/or the QB are supposed to make calls to change the protection if needed. not the same as calling an audible, but I would imagine a QB could call a TE to stay in and block if the need arises.

I agree with you here.

-Relying almost exclusively on a pass game that is derived FROM the run game. Most offenses have a pass scheme and a run scheme. ALL of our big plays come off of run fakes...play action, boots. We don't run jack in our dropback passing game.

This is because of who the QB is. You know (& I know you know because you've mentioned) that our play calling is different when we have another QB behind the Center.

It is very simplistic and obviously poor.

Only because our QB says he isn't comfortable with the gun.

Double Barrel
12-04-2006, 01:21 AM
Great thread, coachdent. It's really nice to read analytical football talk in the forum once in awhile. :thumbup

How much leeway does Carr have to change things at the line? Especially pertaining to picking up blitzes and protection issues. It seems like we get a lot of unchecked blitzes constantly thrown at us every week, and I'm just wondering why that's not something that we've been able to improve upon.

whotex8
12-04-2006, 01:51 AM
Coachdent, I really enjoyed your post. It was good to see an intelligent post for a change that focused more on the positive, instead of the negative. Keep posting!

HJam72
12-04-2006, 02:17 AM
Our most underappreciated and under-used player is NOBODY at FB. :bananasplit:

coachdent
12-04-2006, 07:13 AM
More times than not, they release into the field as recievers. Dallas does it. Washington does it, & Denver does it.

This is a major problem because you have TWO tight ends running routes instead of one. Neither tight end is very quick. They ain't Whitten quick for sure! I'd much rather see Walter in the game than two tight ends. Additionally, it gives defenses a chance to disguise their blitzes because you can walk up a safety and linebacker along with the defensive end to create what we like to call a "Bermuda Triangle" of blitz possibilities. You don't know which of the three is coming and from where.

I'm not a QB. I've never played on offense. So I don't know how that's supposed to work. But I know the center, and/or the QB are supposed to make calls to change the protection if needed. not the same as calling an audible, but I would imagine a QB could call a TE to stay in and block if the need arises.

I know of VERY FEW systems where the QB changes protection at the line of scrimmage. If the tight end is getting out on both sides, then you must have a man up protection. Especially when the backs are check releasing. Our backs do not stay in and block. This is a system thing. We have done it all year. Carr would have to check every single time to keep the backs in because they rarely if ever stay in.

One thing you will see OTHER teams do is that the QB will double point to two linebackers and call out the numbers so that the line and the center can hear it. He is pointing out the middle linebacker and determining who they are going to consider Will (weak linebacker). The Center (if uncovered) has the Mike and the back or free man out (uncovered lineman) would go to the Will. We don't do that.

This is because of who the QB is. You know (& I know you know because you've mentioned) that our play calling is different when we have another QB behind the Center.

Kubiak has said again and again that our pass game is predicated largely on our success in the run game. That is documented. Carr is not so deficient that he can't execute a passing game. That is just ridiculous. He's not Joe Montana, but he isn't Joey Tolliver either.

Only because our QB says he isn't comfortable with the gun

He needs to get comfortable with the gun!

coachdent
12-04-2006, 07:49 AM
Coachdent trying to make Carr infoulable. Wow he must be Carr's PR agent. He still has yet given me a reason why Carr passes before the line of scrimmage. Any good QB throws past the line of scrimmage and makes plays. :spy:

Carr is not without fault. I have chronicled his problems on these boards before and will do so again here. My slant is that there is no shortage of Carr detractors on this site and in the news. MOST of these folks do not take into account anything that may be beyond Carr's control and explain why he struggles.

As someone who coaches quarterbacks, one of the things that I am constantly examining is what I can do as a coach to make my man more comfortable. I also know what my quarterback does well and what he does poorly and I adjust my playcalling accordingly. I don't put him in a position to fail. My QB broke his leg in the second game of the season after throwing for 200 yards in the first half. My backup QB is 5'9" and he could not see the Curl route when we ran it because he was too short. I put him in the gun and we rolled the pocket to open up his sight lanes. Ultimately, the coach is responsible for improving the quarterback. We just can't sit back like a fan and say, "This guy sucks". and go put in another guy.

The most popular guy on a losing team is the backup QB. I live in th ePhilly area. This is a town that booed Donovan McNabb and EVERY season hs called for his head. He throws an incomplete pass and they want Koy Detmer in there. Hideous.

For instance. Many people have brought up the facts that Carr goes to the dump off routes too soon. An explaination of why he does this a lot is that we take a lot of three step drops. This puts the QB closer to the line of scrimmage and the pass rush. A three step drop is a tempo drop where he is to throw the ball on the third step. When you throw that route so much, defenses clamp down on those routes. Slant is covered on both sides. As the pocket collapses, Carr runs out of options quickly.

But here are Carr's problems. I could also breakdown each QBs faults n the NFL. I will give these faults without the underlying problems with each fault. Meaning, I will not explain WHY he has these problems. But the parade of coordinators and poor QB coaches will generally be the cause behind many of these problems.

1. Confidence / Leadership. When he smiles and is juiced, he looks good. He is not a guy to rip into someone. Dan Marino could rip into a guy for running a bad route. Carr does not. He looks like he is whining when he does this. He's got to get some cockiness and arrogance back into his game. The offense must believe he can lead them.

2. He cannot simply force the ball into AJ down the field. He has done htis a number of times this year. I have not taped every game, nor chronicled every interception, but I would say that at least five of them were intended for AJ. Simply throwing the fade and "giving AJ an chance to make a play" is garbage. He must resist the temptation to just launch a ball up there and go to another route. If, as in Sunday's game, there are two streaks called on either side of the field and he has a tight end hooking up in the middle, he should simply take his three step drop, pump and run the ball up the middle. I will break my own rule of not giving Carr an alibi here and say that this is stone cold horrible playcalling and I have watched it happen again and again and again.

3. He must improve his run game fakes. To set up the bootleg, the QB must carry out his fake on every play. This helps the run game by occupying the backside defenders who must honor boot. He does not sell the fakes until he actually runs boot. The run fake then is no good.

4. He does not get the ball to the running backs deep enough. He did a much better job with Dayne yesterday and some of it is on the running backs not taking a weight adjustment step. But Carr does not get the ball back to the backs deep enough so that they can see the hole and make their cuts.

5. Carr drops his arm too much. This becomes problematic at the line of scrimmage in a three and one step drop. He is too big to get so many balls knocked down. One thing he needs to do to compensate for this is to use his eyes and his shoulders to sell a direction and get the defenders to guess wrong on their jumps.

6. He needs to get closer to his offensive line. Early on in his career, he was very good coming off the deck and popping up and letting the OLine know that he is ok and it is not their fault (even when it isn't). My QBs are taught to call a play and look into the eyes of a lineman and tell them things like, "C'mon Winston, work your ***** off on this play and give me some time." If he does, that is the first guy my QB goes to whether it is a completion or not. If he doesn't, the QB tells him he is ok and tells him to keep working hard. In otday's NFL with the radios in the helmets and the tons of verbage, this sometimes becomes hard. But QBs have to be communicators and they have to make the offensive line care about protecting their man. Too many times, the Texans look like 11 individuals on the field instead of an offensive unit. This ultimately falls on the quarterback. As I said before, the lack of celebration and pride after the Lundy TD spoke volumes about the lack of cohesiveness with the offense.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I want the Texans to win. I want Carr to be successful because that will help us win football games. I've played the position and coached the position and it is undeniable that Carr does not always have a full arsenal at his disposal and is handcuffed by factors beyond his control at times.

In terms of your other question / observation about Carr throwing behind the line of scrimmage....

Offenses all have outlet receivers who flare out into the flats. These are running back routes designed to draw the linebackers out so that a receiver can get inside. You work inside - out and short to deep to put defenders in a bind. If the deep inside route is covered, you throw to your outlet receiver. Throwing behind the line of scrimmage is not a "bad" thing. Especially when you are the Titans and you have Pacman Jones to throw a bubble screen to. He took a pass yesterday and exploded for 17 yards. We don't have that kind of receiver.

The larger problem is that we don't have enough complimentary route combonations going on to create openings downfield. If the two wide receivers are on either side of the field, they cannot rub off of each other. They become man routes and they must get open on their own. Neither Moulds nor AJ really get a lof of separation. Thus, Carr is constantly checking down to backs and tight ends near the line of scrimmage.

HJam72
12-04-2006, 08:10 AM
Carr is not without fault. I have chronicled his problems on these boards before and will do so again here. My slant is that there is no shortage of Carr detractors on this site and in the news. MOST of these folks do not take into account anything that may be beyond Carr's control and explain why he struggles.

As someone who coaches quarterbacks, one of the things that I am constantly examining is what I can do as a coach to make my man more comfortable. I also know what my quarterback does well and what he does poorly and I adjust my playcalling accordingly. I don't put him in a position to fail. My QB broke his leg in the second game of the season after throwing for 200 yards in the first half. My backup QB is 5'9" and he could not see the Curl route when we ran it because he was too short. I put him in the gun and we rolled the pocket to open up his sight lanes. Ultimately, the coach is responsible for improving the quarterback. We just can't sit back like a fan and say, "This guy sucks". and go put in another guy.

The most popular guy on a losing team is the backup QB. I live in th ePhilly area. This is a town that booed Donovan McNabb and EVERY season hs called for his head. He throws an incomplete pass and they want Koy Detmer in there. Hideous.

For instance. Many people have brought up the facts that Carr goes to the dump off routes too soon. An explaination of why he does this a lot is that we take a lot of three step drops. This puts the QB closer to the line of scrimmage and the pass rush. A three step drop is a tempo drop where he is to throw the ball on the third step. When you throw that route so much, defenses clamp down on those routes. Slant is covered on both sides. As the pocket collapses, Carr runs out of options quickly.

But here are Carr's problems. I could also breakdown each QBs faults n the NFL. I will give these faults without the underlying problems with each fault. Meaning, I will not explain WHY he has these problems. But the parade of coordinators and poor QB coaches will generally be the cause behind many of these problems.

1. Confidence / Leadership. When he smiles and is juiced, he looks good. He is not a guy to rip into someone. Dan Marino could rip into a guy for running a bad route. Carr does not. He looks like he is whining when he does this. He's got to get some cockiness and arrogance back into his game. The offense must believe he can lead them.

2. He cannot simply force the ball into AJ down the field. He has done htis a number of times this year. I have not taped every game, nor chronicled every interception, but I would say that at least five of them were intended for AJ. Simply throwing the fade and "giving AJ an chance to make a play" is garbage. He must resist the temptation to just launch a ball up there and go to another route. If, as in Sunday's game, there are two streaks called on either side of the field and he has a tight end hooking up in the middle, he should simply take his three step drop, pump and run the ball up the middle. I will break my own rule of not giving Carr an alibi here and say that this is stone cold horrible playcalling and I have watched it happen again and again and again.

3. He must improve his run game fakes. To set up the bootleg, the QB must carry out his fake on every play. This helps the run game by occupying the backside defenders who must honor boot. He does not sell the fakes until he actually runs boot. The run fake then is no good.

4. He does not get the ball to the running backs deep enough. He did a much better job with Dayne yesterday and some of it is on the running backs not taking a weight adjustment step. But Carr does not get the ball back to the backs deep enough so that they can see the hole and make their cuts.

5. Carr drops his arm too much. This becomes problematic at the line of scrimmage in a three and one step drop. He is too big to get so many balls knocked down. One thing he needs to do to compensate for this is to use his eyes and his shoulders to sell a direction and get the defenders to guess wrong on their jumps.

6. He needs to get closer to his offensive line. Early on in his career, he was very good coming off the deck and popping up and letting the OLine know that he is ok and it is not their fault (even when it isn't). My QBs are taught to call a play and look into the eyes of a lineman and tell them things like, "C'mon Winston, work your ***** off on this play and give me some time." If he does, that is the first guy my QB goes to whether it is a completion or not. If he doesn't, the QB tells him he is ok and tells him to keep working hard. In otday's NFL with the radios in the helmets and the tons of verbage, this sometimes becomes hard. But QBs have to be communicators and they have to make the offensive line care about protecting their man. Too many times, the Texans look like 11 individuals on the field instead of an offensive unit. This ultimately falls on the quarterback. As I said before, the lack of celebration and pride after the Lundy TD spoke volumes about the lack of cohesiveness with the offense.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I want the Texans to win. I want Carr to be successful because that will help us win football games. I've played the position and coached the position and it is undeniable that Carr does not always have a full arsenal at his disposal and is handcuffed by factors beyond his control at times.

In terms of your other question / observation about Carr throwing behind the line of scrimmage....

Offenses all have outlet receivers who flare out into the flats. These are running back routes designed to draw the linebackers out so that a receiver can get inside. You work inside - out and short to deep to put defenders in a bind. If the deep inside route is covered, you throw to your outlet receiver. Throwing behind the line of scrimmage is not a "bad" thing. Especially when you are the Titans and you have Pacman Jones to throw a bubble screen to. He took a pass yesterday and exploded for 17 yards. We don't have that kind of receiver.

The larger problem is that we don't have enough complimentary route combonations going on to create openings downfield. If the two wide receivers are on either side of the field, they cannot rub off of each other. They become man routes and they must get open on their own. Neither Moulds nor AJ really get a lof of separation. Thus, Carr is constantly checking down to backs and tight ends near the line of scrimmage.

I think this one post should be a sticky. :bananasplit:

Not only that, but I'm beginning to think coachdent really should get an offer from Mr. McNair. :texflag:

coachdent
12-04-2006, 08:15 AM
I think this one post should be a sticky. :bananasplit:

Not only that, but I'm beginning to think coachdent really should get an offer from Mr. McNair. :texflag:

I'll put together my resume! Not sure if posting on the Bull Pen willl help my career aspirations, but it does allow me to express my thoughts about matters.

Not sure if a Texan salary will be up to par with my teacher salary though! Plus what about all of those children I will be leaving behind? Is it more important that we institute the NTFLB? No Texan Fan Left Behind!:dance3:

OzzO
12-04-2006, 08:23 AM
Bravo coachdent - is there a 800 number for the 610 radio show so you can call during the Kubiak hour this evening?

One quick thing mentioned this morning on Carr's segment - the 3rd and 3 play (I think) where they did a reverse to AJ instead of continuing to push Dayne up the field - where they showed Kubiak ripping Carr on the sidelines. Carr mentioned that was the play called and Kubiak was pissed that Carr didn't check out of that play. It wasn't till after Kubiak saw the pictures of defense setup and realized Carr was correct in keeping the play as is (even though it didn't work) and apologized to Carr.

Take that for what it's worth.

coachdent
12-04-2006, 09:14 AM
Bravo coachdent - is there a 800 number for the 610 radio show so you can call during the Kubiak hour this evening?

One quick thing mentioned this morning on Carr's segment - the 3rd and 3 play (I think) where they did a reverse to AJ instead of continuing to push Dayne up the field - where they showed Kubiak ripping Carr on the sidelines. Carr mentioned that was the play called and Kubiak was pissed that Carr didn't check out of that play. It wasn't till after Kubiak saw the pictures of defense setup and realized Carr was correct in keeping the play as is (even though it didn't work) and apologized to Carr.

Take that for what it's worth.

Thanks for the info on that. I didn't really see anything that would have gotten Carr to check out of that play. The only way you woulf have is if there was a defensive end AND an outside linebacker to the side they ran the reverse. Then you would get out of it. The defensive end just read the play and stayed home.

One of the reasons he stayed home was because the Texans don't really run inside zone at all. When you run inside zone, the backside defensive end can make the play if he compresses. You see it all the time where a defensive end will come down the line of scrimmage and make a play from behind. this makes for a great play, but if he does that, you run boot or reverse and the defense is SOL. Their backside defensive end was not running down the plays from behind, so you don't call that play there.

jerek
12-04-2006, 11:15 AM
This thread should be stickied rather than pushed out by 14 different :crying: threads about Carr. Very good, thorough analysis straight from "the coach's booth." Appreciate your work coachdent.

coachdent
12-04-2006, 12:07 PM
:shoot:LOL Coach long post dude! Carr needs another zip code. That is the only way he can get his confidence back , but do you have the Cliff notes version. My A.D.D. is getting the best of me. :tearup:

Sorry I can't bumper sticker my thoughts! Some problems aren't easily solved or explained in one or two sentences or with pithy phrases like "Carr Sucks". Other enlightening posts do the job far better on that front than I!

the wonger need food
12-04-2006, 03:01 PM
But I have to say that I was happy with the performance of Jamel Cook today.:yikes:

See that people? You can be objective! He did very well leading for Dayne today. We ran lead 19 times today and Cook did a nice job on those plays.

*I will note this however. You can't run 19 lead plays against most NFL defenses and get away with it. 21 plays Cook was on the field and 19 of those run plays went to where he was leading. That sucks. We have not run a counter all year long. I'm thinking it might go for 40 yards. Send Cook left and block the DT, pull the guard and tackle and you are off to the friggin' races because no one is there boys! But I digress....Jamel, Well done my man! Well done.

Were you watching the right game??? Cook was inactive yesterday. Personally I didn't notice since there weren't a lot of missed blocks and fumbles from that position.

coachdent
12-04-2006, 06:11 PM
Were you watching the right game??? Cook was inactive yesterday. Personally I didn't notice since there weren't a lot of missed blocks and fumbles from that position.

Another poster pointed that out earlier in this thread. We made a joke about it because I am not a big Cook fan, to say the least! I'll edit the original post and take that section out. Or just put sarcasm in there!

OzzO
12-04-2006, 06:16 PM
Coach, were you on at the end of Kubiak's show today calling from Philly? 'Cause I guy named Steve brought up a similar question and I immediately thought of you (as he mentioned coaching a HS team as well.

Something to the affect of
Here's the deal... If you keep a tight end in to block, that helps the tackle with the DE AND it takes a defender out of coverage. He will sit on the tight end before releasing into coverage, thus opening passing lanes for the wide outs. Our clunker tight ends take forever to get downfield and clog things up.

-In additon...we're not missing assignments, the protection scheme is flawed. I can show you on a board, but we do not slide protection to the tight end when he goes out. When you don't, and you don't have the back going to that side, you have a sack. We were in that situation twice today.

Personally, I don't think it was the answer you were looking for as Kubiak's response was basically he'd like to keep the TE's back to protect but also to release them to get up the field - to find a "happy medium".

If that was you, kudos on the call and the coach noting you a true fan that you noticed Leach out there. Even the announcers were surprised and questioned if it really was someone from Philly was calling.

Ckw
12-04-2006, 06:33 PM
Exactly! I was going to say the same exact thing. Kubiak needs to find his own identity and not try to be Mike Shanahan, Jr. He needs to build his own team and utilize his own players in the correct way. My personal take: until he does this it will continue to be a losing effort. I love Kubiak and I think he has what it takes. But he's got to stop this carbon copy Denver offense. He needs his own identity and that is what in the end separates the good coaches from the great coaches.

texaslifter
12-04-2006, 06:49 PM
Ok, so I hear about Leach blowing people up this past week. Can someone expand on the play, and the blocks? I didn't get to watch the game, and fullback is my favorite position in the game. I'd kill for us to have a Lorenzo Neal style fullback... hell, if I was bigger I'd volunteer to do it myself!

the wonger need food
12-04-2006, 06:53 PM
Another poster pointed that out earlier in this thread. We made a joke about it because I am not a big Cook fan, to say the least! I'll edit the original post and take that section out. Or just put sarcasm in there!

What's not to like about Cook? Just because he couldn't block an average high school linebacker and has fumbled away 2 games for us. I mean, come'on.

Orion
12-04-2006, 07:11 PM
i'm not being sarcastic.......how after 5 yrs of such horrible offense, and offensive line troubles do we still have the exact same problems, haven't we been getting good picks,,, what the heck have we been doing., we are still bitc**ng over the same thing, year after year after year......I enjoy a great defense but damn, we're gonna start seeing alot off pissed of chris dishman's out on that field soon

the wonger need food
12-04-2006, 07:19 PM
Ok, so I hear about Leach blowing people up this past week. Can someone expand on the play, and the blocks? I didn't get to watch the game, and fullback is my favorite position in the game. I'd kill for us to have a Lorenzo Neal style fullback... hell, if I was bigger I'd volunteer to do it myself!

Well, we had one of the best blocking Fullbacks in the league in Moran Norris. It's no coincidence that Frank Gore is now one of the best backs in the league running behind him. Kind of like that guy Domanick Davis was for a few years.

The quandry here is that the West Coast offense throws a lot of passes to the Fullback and it's hard to find a one that is multi-dimensional... they can usually only do one or the other.

Speedy
12-04-2006, 07:41 PM
Coachdent, first off, thank you for the 'football' talk. It is very appreciated.

Secondly, I'd like to ask about something I noticed watching the tape this afternoon. Yeah, I'm a glutton for punishment I guess, but I didn't notice it until towards the end of the 1st half, and I didn't bother to go back and see if it had been going on for the whole game. And I don't know how it plays in the scheme of things, but on 3 pass plays in a row, or attempted pass plays, 2 ending in a sack, the Texans came to the los, the ball was on either one of the hashmarks, and the Texans set up with 2 WR and a TE to that short side on 2 of the 3 plays and 3 WR's to the short side on the other. That doesn't give them a whole lot to work with all bunched up on the short side of the field does it?

The first half is all I could bring myself to watch so I don't know if it continued for the rest of the game or before I noticed it on those 3 plays. What are your thoughts on this and how does that play into working against an offense if it does at all?

Thanks.

coachdent
12-05-2006, 07:14 AM
Coachdent, first off, thank you for the 'football' talk. It is very appreciated.

Secondly, I'd like to ask about something I noticed watching the tape this afternoon. Yeah, I'm a glutton for punishment I guess, but I didn't notice it until towards the end of the 1st half, and I didn't bother to go back and see if it had been going on for the whole game. And I don't know how it plays in the scheme of things, but on 3 pass plays in a row, or attempted pass plays, 2 ending in a sack, the Texans came to the los, the ball was on either one of the hashmarks, and the Texans set up with 2 WR and a TE to that short side on 2 of the 3 plays and 3 WR's to the short side on the other. That doesn't give them a whole lot to work with all bunched up on the short side of the field does it?
The first half is all I could bring myself to watch so I don't know if it continued for the rest of the game or before I noticed it on those 3 plays. What are your thoughts on this and how does that play into working against an offense if it does at all?

Thanks.

Speedy,

In the NFL, as oppossed to college, the hashmarks are much closer. As a result, the field is fairly wide open and you don't get hurt too much running into the short side of the field. The reason teams do this is because many teams set their defense based on two main criteria:
Where is the tight end?
Where is the wide side?

They will place thier one defensive end to the field to protect the wide side or they will put the DE on the tight end. So as the team breaks the huddle, you will see the two defensive ends in the middle and then they will take their places when they see where the tight end goes.

Trips sets force the secondary to roll their coverage to the trips. So if you have the wide side of the field to the left and the team puts their best defensive end to the wide side, you can gain and advantage by putting more bodies on the right side and run the ball there. Makes for some tighter throwing lanes, but can be effective, especially if your wide receivers can block.

Honoring Earl 34
12-05-2006, 07:39 AM
Coach Dent , I know you 've been critical of what Kubiak's doing and I'll admit the offense is on a rollercoaster but he either showed up incompetent or he exects players to play their position .

The fact that our offense hardly ever plays a complete game is baffling ... we either pass OK or run OK but we never run the ball down their throat and then hit a pass ( from 20 or so yds ) for a TD .

It just seems our offense is so fragile we have to keep taking baby steps ... which means the DC has us figured out by third down on the first series .

coachdent
12-05-2006, 08:50 AM
Coach Dent , I know you 've been critical of what Kubiak's doing and I'll admit the offense is on a rollercoaster but he either showed up incompetent or he expects players to play their position .

The fact that our offense hardly ever plays a complete game is baffling ... we either pass OK or run OK but we never run the ball down their throat and then hit a pass ( from 20 or so yds ) for a TD .

It just seems our offense is so fragile we have to keep taking baby steps ... which means the DC has us figured out by third down on the first series .

The offense is fragile and it does seem to be pulled from various ways on what we want to be. My point was and is, and I should have stated it better, that any offense must start with maximum protection as its first goal in the pass game. If you must protect with nine and release one, that's what you do. Then you expand. We release everyone immediately and give no help to anyone.

Irony again is not lost when you consider that my early tutors in the offensive game where and still are Run & Shoot guys! My offense has evolved into a spread game, but at the heart of it is the ability to run the football and protect. That is not the philosophy of the direction of our offense. The current direction / philosophy that I see is:

1. Frustration that everything doesn't work
2. Dogged determination to throw the West Coast passing game without due consideration of doing the little extras to help protect the quarterback.
3. Losing composure.

Honoring Earl 34
12-05-2006, 08:59 AM
In sports and life ... when you whig out you revert to bad habits or what you think you should do .

Did we just not evualuate our talent properly or in the first game after a 3-1 preseason we freaked and went back to bad habits . Then of course the injury bug hit .

I think if this season does anything it tells who stays and who goes ... I'm not talking just about Carr but the whole offense .

The defense on the other hand looks like it has a bright future with a couple of more players .

Marcus
12-05-2006, 09:11 AM

:rolleyes:

Well, I know one thing I can look forward to. If . . or when . . Carr is gone after the season . . good luck to the both of you on whatever team you end up with. That team's message board will relish your unabashed ahem objectivity.

Honoring Earl 34
12-05-2006, 09:24 AM
Ibar's right ... Chris Palmer and Kubiak do not have the history to support their offense . They probably only have 40 yrs combined in the NFL . We better call Pat Hill .

dat_boy_yec
12-05-2006, 05:25 PM
The Capers problem of trying of run an offense that you don't have the personnel to run. I have argued over and over again that when we tried to go to the zone blocking scheme we were headed for trouble because it is a scheme designed for running and not protecting the QB. You can not show two types of schemes and expect the defense not to recognize when you are running and not running. The more I say the more angry I get at the absolute incompetence we have seen with our coaching staffs. Quite frankly, the only shinning light has been Marciano...........

No way, you gotta give some props to Smith. Our defense has really stepped it up. He started off badly as well, but unlike the offensive side he's shown a ton of improvement.