PDA

View Full Version : TJ Duckett our RB fix

Buckle
12-02-2006, 10:23 AM
Why not see if we can get him in the offseason?? This is the last year of his contract and he is scheduled to be a FA after this season. He shouldn't command top tier RB money, and has shown promise with the Falcons who I also believe run or ran at one point the zone blocking scheme. Plus since he has been splitting carries with or should I say relieving Dunn when winded, he doesn't have that much wear and tear on him. This would get rid of one pressing problem at RB, and with Duckett and Lundy coming off the bench I think we could have a very effective rushing attack. It would also allow us to focus on more pressing needs in the draft and not waste a early pick on a RB. Don't get me wrong I would LOVE to see Adrian Peterson here, BUT I am coming to terms with the fact that we need to spend those 1st day picks on much more pressing needs such as; S, CB, OLB, D-line & O-line, much like we did in last years draft.

brewhaus
12-02-2006, 10:47 AM
It is funny you should mention the Falcons. Just yesterday on the radio, a show was kicking around the idea of trading DC for Michael Vick. One caller said the folks in Atlanta would jump at the opportunity to move DC to their team.

Sorry for getting off base.....I do not feel the current running back scenario is any sort of a long term solution for the Texans but I think that it will serve the team well enough through at least next season, so that as you mentioned, the Texans can concentrate on filling the needs at other positions using both free agency and the draft. :twocents:

TexanFan881
12-02-2006, 10:50 AM
Duckett was the 3rd string back in Washington this year, with Portis and Betts ahead of him and he hasn't really done much. I'd rather have Lundy in the backfield than Duckett.

Buckle
12-02-2006, 12:59 PM
Yes that is true he has been at Washington for most of the year behind Clinton Portis and Betts. But neither of those players are bad players and both know the offense better than Duckett. But if you look at what he did in Atlanta he was under used in my opinion but still put up some impressive numbers in a zone blocking system.

Att: Yrds: TD
2002 130 507 4
2003 197 779 11
2004 104 509 8
2005 121 380 8

Notice he has only carried on average lets say 150 times per year, and is averaging 550 yrds on those # of attempts. Now if you double that number of attempts Duckett would easily be a 1000 yrd back. I believe that Duckett since he is a bigger back gets better as the game wears on and the oppositions defense is worn out and so I could see him as a starting RB easily rushing for 1200-1300 yrds in a season, something that we truly need here again and need to start looking for because Davis is never going to play again.

bah007
12-02-2006, 07:08 PM
Duckett is only an upgraded version of Ron Dayne.

He is a goal line & short-yardage back only.

real
12-03-2006, 01:46 AM
No thanks

Texan_Bill
12-04-2006, 12:01 PM
Not very impressive for a former first round draft pick.... but then again neither was William Green (the only other RB drafted in the first round - 2002).