PDA

View Full Version : Cedric Benson?

CowboysTexansFan
12-01-2006, 10:17 PM
I was reading Truth and Rumors on SI.com and saw this blurb about Cedric Benson:

[snip]

In a radio interview Thursday, the Bears' Cedric Benson implied locker-room politics had something to do with popular veteran Thomas Jones playing ahead of him all season. He dodged a question about whether he trusted the Bears' coaching staff. But some of Benson's other comments may bring him the same kind of flak he received for statements earlier this season.
-- Chicago Tribune

[snip]

Since things haven't gone well for Benson in Chicago so far, with his holdout, injuries, comments, etc. and Jones seemingly entrenched as the starter, I wonder whether the Texans might be able to obtain him from the Bears--say, for its 2nd round pick. Comments like that aren't going to endear him to his teammates or the organization.

Thoughts?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/scorecard/12/01/truth.rumors.nfl/index.html

hot pickle
12-01-2006, 10:24 PM
yes if its a 2nd round, then yeah

awtysst
12-01-2006, 10:41 PM
No thanks. We have too many problems to be trading away high draft picks away. We need a Ball hawking saftey, another corner, 2 LBs, an OLineman, possibly a new center, maybe another WR. We simply cannot afford to trade away very high draft picks for players.

CowboysTexansFan
12-01-2006, 10:45 PM
We also need a starting running back. A lot of people are interested in using our 1st round pick on Adrian Peterson, if he's available. If Benson were available for a 2nd round pick, I'd do that deal in a heartbeat. He was the 5th pick in the draft just 2 years ago and has little wear and tear on him from the NFL. (HS and College are another story, but he was durable.)

We could then use our 1st round pick on a CB, S or LT.

It sucks to have so many needs...

Napa Auto Parts
12-01-2006, 10:57 PM
not only that but the bears 1 and 2 QB are better than david carr david might be slightly better than kyle orton so thats imposible vinny:mario2:

Honoring Earl 34
12-01-2006, 11:05 PM
The Titans will probably trade Chris Brown and a 4th .

mexican_texan
12-01-2006, 11:06 PM
The Titans will probably trade Chris Brown and a 4th .
That is a horrible trade. In other words, it's likely.

Honoring Earl 34
12-01-2006, 11:15 PM
I'd pass on Benson ... unless its a fire sale . Something about players on 9-2 teams who are pissed off because of whatever is lame .

Hulk75
12-01-2006, 11:39 PM
I'd love to swap Carr for Benson and draft a young QB with our top 10 pick...but that won't happen. This franchise is in love with DC it seems....hell or high water...we are just gonna hitch our boat to the Carr express no matter what i'm afraid.

Sucks! Thats just to bad, I wonder why we hold onto this guy anyways, I guess we are going to have to put up with his crap again, I wonder what Kubiak sees in him, what does he know he is just around him every day, on the sidelines, in the film room, on the practice field..............

Reddevil63
12-01-2006, 11:47 PM
I'd love to swap Carr for Benson and draft a young QB with our top 10 pick...but that won't happen. This franchise is in love with DC it seems....hell or high water...we are just gonna hitch our boat to the Carr express no matter what i'm afraid.
Why would they want Carr when they have a young underachieving QB already??

Mr. White
12-01-2006, 11:58 PM
I think that Cedric Benson is a malcontent and just bad news. And I'm a Longhorn.

TexanFan881
12-02-2006, 12:08 AM
I'd much rather use a first on Peterson than a second on Benson

whiskeyrbl
12-02-2006, 12:16 AM
Wouldn't want Benson seems to much like a headache, and Petersen I would pass on because he seems injury prone. I would wait till about RD3 and look for Kenny Irons out of Auburn

eriadoc
12-02-2006, 02:31 AM
How did a Ced Benson thread turn into a Carr thread?

I haven't seen much of Ced since UT, but he is likely better than anything we currently have. I'd consider a 2nd round pick for Benson a deal worth making, if the coaches are seriously considering RB in round one. I think we have too many other needs on Day One, though.

Grid
12-02-2006, 02:54 AM

I wouldnt put it past Kubiak to dump carr and replace him in the draft.

And I think McNair would back it up if that is what kube really thought was necessary.

Grid
12-02-2006, 02:55 AM
Also, RB is low on our priority list this offseason, and Benson's attitude is questionable.

dbspi
12-02-2006, 04:19 AM
Aside from injury concern with AP, there is not much comparison between AP and Benson. AP is lights year ahead of Benson as a running back.

We can't fix all the holes that this team has in one season but it would be nice to focus our attention on defense and try to fix many of those holes this off season. With good draft and free agency it can be done. With better defense we will have better chance of staying in the game and competing. I don't expect our offense to be that much better next year.

If we end up with top 5 picks then I really like to see us trade down couple of times and pick up few more draft picks on day one similar to what Seattle had done 5 or 6 years ago under their current coach.

Draft -

Round 1 - DT (Allan Branch)
Round 2 - FS (Reggie Nelson, Michael Griffin, etc.)
Round 3 - OLB
Round 3 - DT/OLB (we acquire this pick from trading down in round 1, we may also end up with round 2 as well if we find the right partner to work with).
Round 4 - OC (Datish if available)
Round 5 - K
Round 6 - P

Free Agency - Throw tons of money on Clements and Briggs.

Rookie CB gets abused allot in the NFL and normally it takes few years for them to settle down where as FS and OLB can perform right out of college.

Here is a list of our wasted day one picks from previous years (BUSTS), Just imagine for a second what our team would have looked like with better draft picks -

1 David Carr - At this point, you can give all the excuses you want, but I say Bust. Let's see what he can do with another year under Coach K.
2 Jabar Gaffney - Is he out of football yet? Signed with Patriats because their starter bolted, lets see if he can make their team next year.
3 Charles Hill - Out of football

2 Tony Hollings - Out of football
2 Ben Joppru - Out of football? If not, he's walking the line, initially got cut by Texans then by Chicago and now he has landed with Seattle.
3 Seth Wand - Out of football? If not, he's walking the line with Titans.
3 Dave Ragone - Completely wasted pick

1 Jason Babin - We traded away three first day picks for him. I say bust.

1 Travis Johnson - Completely baffling pick. Likely a bust

This will tell you why we were 2-14 last year and why we are 3-8 this year.

dbspi
12-02-2006, 04:29 AM
Last off season Seattle was trying to trade Alexander and I believe they were asking for 2nd round draft pick. Compare to Alexander, Benson hasn't done anything in the NFL yet?

touttail
12-02-2006, 04:48 AM

Sad isn't it !!!!!!

Bobby 119C :phone:

GNTLEWOLF
12-02-2006, 05:56 AM
IMHO Benson tends to be arrogant and self-centered. Having said that, He would definately get a lot of carries with this team, and a chance to show us how talented he really is. My feeling is that with our o-line, he would not be very happy for long and he might begin to throw his teammates under the bus. But at least he would have a chance to be the go to guy.

HOOK'EM
12-02-2006, 06:01 AM
Trade Carr for Benson.:bananasplit:

nunusguy
12-02-2006, 07:10 AM
not only that but the bears 1 and 2 QB are better than david carr david might be slightly better than kyle orton so thats imposible vinny:mario2:

The bears starter, Rex Grossman, is pitiful IMO.
Whatever deficiencies Carr has, compared to Grossman he is the rock of dependability and consistancy.
If you saw the MNF Arizona game, the Bears very good D and tons and tons
of good luck and very favorable calls by the officials gave them the win in spite of Grossmans lousy play. And the Pats game was another sorry performance by Groossman.
I dunno, but isn't former Denver QB Griese in Chicago. If they don't think he's
better than Grossman, they'll be shopping for another QB. If not Carr, then
somebody else.

Kaiser Toro
12-02-2006, 08:52 AM
The bears starter, Rex Grossman, is pitiful IMO.
Whatever deficiencies Carr has, compared to Grossman he is the rock of dependability and consistancy.
If you saw the MNF Arizona game, the Bears very good D and tons and tons
of good luck and very favorable calls by the officials gave them the win in spite of Grossmans lousy play. And the Pats game was another sorry performance by Groossman.
I dunno, but isn't former Denver QB Griese in Chicago. If they don't think he's
better than Grossman, they'll be shopping for another QB. If not Carr, then
somebody else.

I would take Carr over Grossman and Griese in a second.

Texans Horror
12-02-2006, 09:26 AM
Athletically, I think trading for Benson would be a great boon for the Texans. I know he can punch holes in the line, and I think he would appreciate being closer to home/having all the runnng back attention.

However, he has had his troubles, and from the comments that have been made, I agree that it sounds like the kid has his issues. That's not the kind of player the Texans take. So while I think it would be good, I don't foresee McNair jumping on that bus. I think it is more likely that next year when Sherman is off to coach elsewhere and Kubiak all but takes over the line, we will see some improvement. Sherman is a great coach, but I've wondered if there is some difference of offensive philosophy/coaching that is not communicating between the two coaches. What I mean is that Sherman is a great offensive line coach, and has said he is here to support Kubes, but Kubes has a very specific way he wants the line to work. Clearly, it isn't working that way this year.

Not trying to usurp the thread, but I think that the team is looking to have Spencer and Winston on the line next year. I am leaning towards the thought that the Texans free-agent a big-name tackle and move Winston to Guard. Improvements on the line will make life much easier for Lundy, who I think Kubes will try again (unless he drafts another late-round back next year).

nunusguy
12-02-2006, 09:30 AM
I've questioned a move or two by Kubiak but heck, that's part of being a football fan. Despite some questionable roster moves, some strategic situational snafu's, Kubiak comes across as smart and genuine. At the top I think Bob McNair comes across as loyal to a fault at times, but he is so smart it's scary, so I think he can find the fine line eventually. The NFL is a huge strategy game from top to bottom with big egos involved so I'm sure these guys are paying attention to their mistakes. I think Ric over at HPF pointed out a while back that this team tends to make broader or larger decisions in a glacial manner and I agree as I think that they tend to move very safely like a corporation would.

Kubiak is reasonably likeable and he's sincere, unassuming, and humble while still appearing confidant with his convictions.
As far as grading him in the brains department regarding his football smarts,
too soon for me to arrive at a personal conclusion on that subject. But I've already got gobs of reservations about several of his roster move; on the other hand he's come up with what appears to be a lights-outs college
Draft in just his first attempt. But one should give Casserly some partial credit for that achievement if they are being totally objective.
The analogy of the Texans organization to a corporate entity is valid with
some qualification. Unlike governmental bureaucracies that do move at a glacial pace and are impervious to change, corporate entities move very quickly and decisively when changes need to be made for the corp to be profitable/successful. After all, McNair is in a highly competitive industry with 31 other competitors who also desperatley want to succeed.
The old man has got to be the most frustrated among us, so its not an easy
task for him to strike the best balance between decisiveness and patience.

mexican_texan
12-02-2006, 09:51 AM
I never really liked Benson, even at UT. Sure, he got the records, but so did Dayne. The Bears RB I want is Adrian Peterson.

Kaiser Toro
12-02-2006, 10:38 AM
I like Cedric, but I would rather see Carr stay on and perform well, get cut or have his contract sunset and bid him farewell. Trading him for another player and having that player come in and fail, while maintaining the same cap impact would just be to haunting for me. Carr's contract needs to be taken off the books as fast as possible.

HowBoutThemCowboys!
12-02-2006, 11:01 AM
-Cedric Benson
-Michael Turner
-TJ Duckett
-Marion Barber III

Those are four names that Texan fans have inquired about joining the team.. you can't just call 1-800-RUNNING-BACK and grab any solid back-up in the league.. It's about development and until this season, it looked like a guy named Domanick Davis was doing pretty well.

Kaiser Toro
12-02-2006, 11:06 AM
-Cedric Benson
-Michael Turner
-TJ Duckett
-Marion Barber III

Those are four names that Texan fans have inquired about joining the team.. you can't just call 1-800-RUNNING-BACK and grab any solid back-up in the league.. It's about development and until this season, it looked like a guy named Domanick Davis was doing pretty well.

Out of all those Barber would be an interesting proposition and would like to hear from any Cowbooys fans what his contract status is. If I am not mistaken he ran in a ZBS scheme in college and is a goal line back for Parcells. I am not a Parcells fan for his brand of football, but I certainly respect his opinion of personel. Turner is an RFA and would not be a value in my opinion. Duckett has been two teams garbage, but noone's treasure as of yet and do not see it happening.

HowBoutThemCowboys!
12-02-2006, 11:12 AM
I believe it's a 5-year deal, not sure about the cash implications. But I don't see Dallas losing him anytime soon.. He's been the perfect change of pace guy behind Julius Jones, without, the RB position might collapse. Like Parcell's said "The days of one running-back getting 30 something carries a day are over."

Lucky
12-02-2006, 01:40 PM
I like Cedric, but I would rather see Carr stay on and perform well, get cut or have his contract sunset and bid him farewell. Trading him for another player and having that player come in and fail, while maintaining the same cap impact would just be to haunting for me. Carr's contract needs to be taken off the books as fast as possible.
I'm not following you. What would be the difference in regards to the cap between Carr traded or being cut? The Texans would still have the remaining $5.3 million in prorated bonus to deal with.

Benson is a bust. Geez, Wali Lundy is having a better career than Benson. Do we want the Texans to once again throw away draft choices on a player who was supposed to be good, but isn't? Does anyone remember P-Bust?

Kaiser Toro
12-02-2006, 01:42 PM
I'm not following you. What would be the difference in regards to the cap between Carr traded or being cut? The Texans would still have the remaining $5.3 million in prorated bonus to deal with.

Benson is a bust. Geez, Wali Lundy is having a better career than Benson. Do we want the Texans to once again throw away draft choices on a player who was supposed to be good, but isn't? Does anyone remember P-Bust?

I was referring more to term rather than dollars in my angst.

If I am not mistaken Benson has three years left and Carr has two on their respective contracts.

Lucky
12-02-2006, 01:48 PM
If I am not mistaken Benson has three years left and Carr has two on their respective contracts.
Benson only has about $2.4 million left on his contract. Da Bears have have already taken care of his bonus. It's not that Cedric is expensive, he's just not a good RB.

Kaiser Toro
12-02-2006, 01:53 PM

I just have to ask, were you simply piggybacking on my statement that you quoted to reflect upon our acquisition history? Certainly you are not implying that I want to trade him for Carr or trade draft picks for Benson.

Lucky
12-02-2006, 02:11 PM
I just have to ask, were you simply piggybacking on my statement that you quoted to reflect upon our acquisition history? Certainly you are not implying that I want to trade him for Carr or trade draft picks for Benson.
No, the 2nd paragraph was a response to the intended subject of the thread. My response to you was simply about the salary cap ramifications of trading/cutting Carr.

PapaL
12-02-2006, 02:18 PM
I'll take BUSH. Michael Bush from Louisville. Broken leg and all. 6-3 250lb, homerun speed before the broken leg.

nunusguy
12-02-2006, 03:09 PM
I'll take BUSH. Michael Bush from Louisville. Broken leg and all. 6-3 250lb, homerun speed before the broken leg.
OK. But where ? In the third round if he is still on the Board and been thoughrouly tested for fitness ?
Thats something I agree with the Denver crowd about - the running back position is a disposable commodity which is to be quickly discarded and replaced when it breaks. And it breaks a lot.

painekiller
12-03-2006, 10:13 AM
Wouldn't want Benson seems to much like a headache, and Petersen I would pass on because he seems injury prone. I would wait till about RD3 and look for Kenny Irons out of Auburn

Who is probally going in the 1st. IMO he will never slide out of the 2nd to the 3rd.

Dr. Toro
12-03-2006, 12:21 PM
Athletically, I think trading for Benson would be a great boon for the Texans. I know he can punch holes in the line, and I think he would appreciate being closer to home/having all the runnng back attention.

However, he has had his troubles, and from the comments that have been made, I agree that it sounds like the kid has his issues. That's not the kind of player the Texans take.

Yes, the kid has issues. Other NFL RB with issues... Clinton Portis (eccentric/demanding), Larry Johnson (attitude/couldn't play for Vermeil), Reuben Droughns (alcohol/domestic), Ricky Williams (drugs), Fred Taylor (attitude), Jamal Lewis (felonies), Travis Henry (attitude), Corey Dillon (attitude), Reggie Bush (money/ego/rumored honesty), Edgerrin James (attitude/off season training).

I don't mean to equate drug dealing or wife-beating with Coach Spanky Janky, but all these guys make their own sort of distractions on a football team. There are a few Priest Holmes and smarmy Tiki Barbers scattered out there, but the majority of these guys aren't saints, especially when they aren't playing as much as they'd like. Benson can run for 1500+ yards if given the opportunity. As long as he doesn't commit crimes in steel blue, I've got no problem with him.

GuerillaBlack
12-03-2006, 03:14 PM
I would take Michael Bush or Cedric Benson. Benson is a good running back and has power. Michael Bush also, but we will see...

hot pickle
12-03-2006, 07:45 PM
9 carries for 60 yards today, as long as you can get him some carries he will get you some yards, like i said earlier for a 2nd sure, if the bears bite on it

PapaL
12-08-2006, 05:56 PM
OK. But where ? In the third round if he is still on the Board and been thoughrouly tested for fitness ?
Thats something I agree with the Denver crowd about - the running back position is a disposable commodity which is to be quickly discarded and replaced when it breaks. And it breaks a lot.

Depending on our draft position, how his leg is doing, and who is on the board I would say....late 1st through possible early 3rd. I see him as a Willis McGahee type runner (who would have been a Texan if not for the knee thing). I say late first because thats where Willis went injury and all, but not sure I would use that pick on him. 2nd for sure though.

Mr. B
12-09-2006, 11:45 PM
Benson can't even displace Jones as the strater and he had 1st round pick backing him up. So that tells you how much the Bears think of him.

He was overhyped coming out of UT and the Texans would be just tossing away another high round pick which could be used on something better.

Benson has a huge total of 664 yards in 2 years and he is a locker room cancer from year one.

We don't need that on this team at this time.

B

Texans Horror
12-10-2006, 05:54 PM
Yes, the kid has issues. Other NFL RB with issues... Clinton Portis (eccentric/demanding), Larry Johnson (attitude/couldn't play for Vermeil), Reuben Droughns (alcohol/domestic), Ricky Williams (drugs), Fred Taylor (attitude), Jamal Lewis (felonies), Travis Henry (attitude), Corey Dillon (attitude), Reggie Bush (money/ego/rumored honesty), Edgerrin James (attitude/off season training).

I don't mean to equate drug dealing or wife-beating with Coach Spanky Janky, but all these guys make their own sort of distractions on a football team. There are a few Priest Holmes and smarmy Tiki Barbers scattered out there, but the majority of these guys aren't saints, especially when they aren't playing as much as they'd like. Benson can run for 1500+ yards if given the opportunity. As long as he doesn't commit crimes in steel blue, I've got no problem with him.

I'm not saying what I want or not, just that I think the FO won't go for it.