PDA

View Full Version : So what if we lose to the Raiders?!

Imatexanfan
11-29-2006, 07:07 PM
The Raiders are worse than us on offense and on the defensive side of the ball the secondary is the only bright spot. Now with Sapp at DT and they can't seem to stop the run, which Lundy should have a field day.

Like he was supposed to have against the Jets.:yawn:

But this game to me is a battle between who will be better on the offensive side of the ball and if Lundy has a good running game I see us pulling off a W.
As for defense we need to pressure the QB (sounds familiar) and get some takeaways. Like our 2nd Jaguars game which the defense just exploded on forcing turnovers. The Raiders are a poor team, if we lose seriously....we won't win another game this year.

TexansFan4EvR
11-29-2006, 08:43 PM
It really dosent matter how we win ... I just want to WIN!! I keep hearing all of our talent is unhappy and its starting to depress me! Andre is the ownly pro bowler we have that will probaly go again. I dont want him and moulds to leave.

I Just cant stand to see us lose again its so depressing :brickwall

SO COME ON TEXANS WIN THIS ONE FOR US!!!!!!!!!!:whip:

bah007
11-29-2006, 09:00 PM
The Raiders are worse than us on offense and on the defensive side of the ball the secondary is the only bright spot. Now with Sapp at DT and they can't seem to stop the run, which Lundy should have a field day.

But this game to me is a battle between who will be better on the offensive side of the ball and if Lundy has a good running game I see us pulling off a W.
As for defense we need to pressure the QB (sounds familiar) and get some takeaways. Like our 2nd Jaguars game which the defense just exploded on forcing turnovers. The Raiders are a poor team, if we lose seriously....we won't win another game this year.

Oakland has the #7 defense in the league (290 yds per game) & they are also #12 in points given up (20 per game). They are also 4th in the league in INTs (14) which is impressive considering that nobody has to pass on them cuz they are always losing.

With all that said, I would say that their defense is pretty dang good considering that their offense is ranked last in the NFL in points and yards & they are most certainly at the bottom of the league in time of possession.

Runner
11-29-2006, 09:25 PM
If we lose to the Raiders it will say a lot - I'm not exactly sure what. Last week's game was called a message game for the Texans by Kubiak. We all saw the message. They aren't very good. It is probably a combination of things:

Lack of talent - this is self-explanatory.

Inexperienced coaching - I think this shows in the lack of effective game plans and in-game adjustments. It also is reflected in how the roster was built; what they valued in players when making roster decisions and how they balanced needs versus roster spots.

Attitude - Even if the players go into the game telling themselves they will win, I think they immediately expect to lose at the first sign of adversity. I think this is caused by losing so much and by lack of confidence in their fellow players and coaching (game plan and schemes).

=======================

If they lose big against the Radiers it shows:
1) The Raiders have improved
2) The players have given up

If they lose a close game it shows
1) The Raiders have improved
2) It may or may not show we haven't quit

If we win a close game or win big
1) It shows we haven't given up.
2) It doesn't mean we're good.

Titan "Tack" Fan
11-29-2006, 09:30 PM
It's not easy to go out to the west coast and win. But I definitely wouldn't look past the Raiders, they have a good D.

LORK 88
11-29-2006, 09:42 PM
we'll have to do a member check to make sure nobody went off and slit their wrist; I dont think this board could take that kind of depressing news . . .

Runner
11-29-2006, 09:50 PM
we'll have to do a member check to make sure nobody went off and slit their wrist; I dont think this board could take that kind of depressing news . . .

Then we better start setting expectations. We aren't much better than the Raiders. They were a joke early in the year and maybe they still are. However, I can think of another team that was a joke last year and is surely getting some snickers this year.

LORK 88
11-29-2006, 10:09 PM
Then we better start setting expectations. We aren't much better than the Raiders. They were a joke early in the year and maybe they still are. However, I can think of another team that was a joke last year and is surely getting some snickers this year.
Thats always the problem, when expectations arent met. Alot of casual fans are thinking "hey, its the Raiders!" not realizing they have the best pass D in the league. They're going to watch this game and if it doesn't go well, time to find shelter because this board could become all pessimism and negativity! We NEED to win this game for us, so we won't have to hear "we lost to the Raiders, we suck" from our own fans all offseason . . .

TxDavid
11-29-2006, 10:49 PM
It's not easy to go out to the west coast and win. But I definitely wouldn't look past the Raiders, they have a good D.

We haven't earned the right to even think about looking past anyone yet.

Honoring Earl 34
11-29-2006, 10:52 PM
The Raiders have a new OC ... the players may be fired up to show it was'nt them .
The Texans tried out the sprinter Gatlan as a holder so he can beat everybody down the field and break his thumb .

Dunta_23
11-29-2006, 11:17 PM
The good thing is that without LaMont Jordan, Randy Moss is the only real weapon they have on offense....but it is RANDY MOSS....and he has been quiet this yr, but if he gets put on Petey for a play or 2, it very well may be 14 pts(Lee Evans style)... The Texans D has much improved since the beginning of the season and I HOPE that our offense is better than the Raiders....

Although like somebody just stated we havent earned the right to look passed anybody ....

bah007
11-29-2006, 11:38 PM
The good thing is that without LaMont Jordan, Randy Moss is the only real weapon they have on offense....but it is RANDY MOSS....and he has been quiet this yr, but if he gets put on Petey for a play or 2, it very well may be 14 pts(Lee Evans style)... The Texans D has much improved since the beginning of the season and I HOPE that our offense is better than the Raiders....

Although like somebody just stated we havent earned the right to look passed anybody ....

I bet Randy Moss comes to play against us.

Honoring Earl 34
11-29-2006, 11:38 PM
Come on nobody gets behind our defense .

kcwilson
11-29-2006, 11:50 PM
We'll be 3-9.

I think it is important though to know that the team is making improvements in certain areas and those underperforming are held accountable. Since record doesn't make a difference this year... I am more interested in post game changes and actions taken.

I want to see Kubiak go bonkers if the secondary gives up a bomb again this week.

Overall, I like our chances. The offense of the Raiders is poor and we should be able to sit back against the pass a bit. All their QB's are bad decision makers, which makes up slightly for lack of pass rush.

Defensively, the Raiders can control the ball... I look for Kubiak to be creative with the run again (reverses to AJ and Moulds, lining up Walter in the backfield, QB sweep)... needs to jump start the offensive running game and we should pull out these unique talents to get the ball in the playmakers hands... Carr is excellent running as a qb and should be designed to run more... heck, throw in an option play to keep them guessing....

DontTreadOnMe
11-30-2006, 03:24 AM
we cant lose,... they are the raiders for christ sake. if we put up 17, we will win.

nunusguy
11-30-2006, 09:33 AM
I have no confidence in the Texans chances this weekend at Oakland. I
hate to say that, but thats exactly how I feel.
I'm really concerned that the Buffalo game was a huge, really a devastating loss for a team thats collective ego was already in a very fragile state.
I hope I'm wrong, because a win out there would put them in a good frame of mind to come home and beat the Titans the following week in Reliant. And
that would be consecutive wins, which would probably redeem a large share of lost fan support and makes us all feel better about the team. Especially the team themselves.
So this weekend is huge !

Hervoyel
11-30-2006, 09:54 AM
Any Texans win at this point is gravy in my eyes. I expect nothing from them for the rest of the season. I'm of the opinion that something inside this team "broke" in the Buffalo game and until I see evidence that these guys can fix it on the fly in midseason I'm not going to get excited about our chances of beating anyone.

Somewhere in that stretch of Tennessee-New York (Giants)-Jacksonville-Buffalo-New York (Jets) I think the Texans were supposed to step up and it didn't happen. In fact they regressed along the way. I can't account for the Jacksonville game in there but I put no real stock in that win. No matter how bad we are in any given year we're a threat to sweep the Jaguars. Those games were all really close (except for the last one) and losing them like that seems to have stopped our guys dead in their collective tracks. They were all games that this team wins if it gets just a little bit better. They were the kind of games that turn a 3-8 record into a 6-5 record (assuming possible wins at Tennessee, New York (Giants) and against Buffalo.

Furthermore a streak like that (Throwing in Jacksonville) gives us a 4 game win streak going into New York to play the Jets. Teams with that kind of momentum don't come out and just wallow around like we saw the Texans do on Sunday.

If we lose to the Raiders then we'll be 3-9 and I won't even bother discussing it after the fact. I'll be watching the Texans to see how they respond to again being the worst team in the NFL.

I see threads talking about Eric Moulds being unhappy and Andre Johnson being unhappy. Welcome to the party guys. I'd like to introduce you to another 70,000+ other "Texans" that aren't really happy with the way things are going. They can't much influence the outcome but you can. What are you going to do about it besides whine and sulk? Why don't one of you step up and try and light a fire under your teammates instead of venting this way?

Runner
11-30-2006, 10:00 AM
we cant lose,... they are the raiders for christ sake. if we put up 17, we will win.

As you watch the game, have a brown paper bag ready. You may need to breathe into it as the game progresses. :)

Buffi2
11-30-2006, 10:03 AM
I see threads talking about Eric Moulds being unhappy and Andre Johnson being unhappy. Welcome to the party guys. I'd like to introduce you to another 70,000+ other "Texans" that aren't really happy with the way things are going. They can't much influence the outcome but you can. What are you going to do about it besides whine and sulk? Why don't one of you step up and try and light a fire under your teammates instead of venting this way?

From your computer to their ears.

Unfortunately, I don't expect much these next two weeks - but I do know that a loss in Oakland followed by a Titan sweep will be beyond devastating for everyone - coaches/players/fans - the uproar from the fans will be deafening and not in a good way.

I feel like being a Kubiak mimic - I don't want to look. I'll be in front of the TV and at the Titan game - but I might have my eyes closed.

dat_boy_yec
11-30-2006, 10:07 AM
If we loose we'll be looking at a race for the 1st overall pick again. However if we loose it will shed some light on the coaching as well. It's their job to make sure the players stay focused and believe in the system. If their not running full speed it's because they don't believe what they do is going to work. The most important part of the team is the coaching. I dunno what's up with Kube's if he really thinks this team can't handle certain calls or whatever, but if he doesn't open up the playbook soon. Ey after 11 games this should have already been happened. He'll loose the faith of the players. The other day I think I read someone say that Kubes thought we needed four seasons of drafting like this one before we had a good team. To me that's insane, you gotta coach up the talent you have and discipline it into a cohesive unit. At the moment we have few needs and while upgrades are always welcome he has to make the team greater than the sum of it's parts. I thought after last yr. that our coaching struggles would be over, but now we have a rookie HC and it seems that he's struggling as well. I hope he get's it together before the end of this season. The game against Oakland will show us where we're going.

hobie
11-30-2006, 10:15 AM
Re: So what if we lose to the Raiders?!

Well if they lose to the Raiders this weekend,, then that means they lose to the Raiders this weekend. Honestly, what's the big deal, the Texans just cannot win on the road, so if they don't, that's about par for the course.

Not going to get my panties in a wad, just need to accept the fact that again the Texans are about 2 years away from hopefully feilding a winning team. I just want to see the Texans not lay a turd like they do so many times on the road.

DeclanJr
11-30-2006, 10:39 AM
I don't see the Texans pulling this one out, but I like our chances against the Titans at home

Gen_Man
11-30-2006, 10:49 AM

Moss and Jordan are not legit weapons and never have been in the Raiders offense. The only true gems on offense is Ronald Curry, Crockett and Fargas. Other than that, nobody hasn't really done anything signifcant for us all season long. Moss has been inconsistent with his lack of concentration. HE DROPS PASSES at the worst possible time, thus becoming a drive killer; Jordan isn't play because of an MCL injury, however, when he was healthy he did absolutely nothing on the football field. The guy is nothing more than a situational running back. He lacks the ideal vision a true running back has: Vision for the cut back and having the ability to break tackles. JORDAN often times ran slow and didn't hit the holes (which weren't available that often) with a passive nature. In fact, JORDAN never wanted to mix it up with opposing DBS and LB. He choose ( a lot of times) to side step to the out of bounds area.

Our offense has been a train wreck this year because of the poorus play of the line and players and the disaster known as Tom Walsh, a guy who has been out of football for over decade and has been serving waffles and coffee at a BED AND BREAKFAST INST. in Idaho. Tom Walsh didn't believe in adapting to the 21ST CENTURY, he was still calling pre 21st century PLAYS that hasn't worked in this year in nearly a decade. Wait! Allow me to back track.

His philosophy would only work if he had the Cowboys Line of the 90s and the old Raider plays from the 70's. Tom didn't take into consideration that people do not play pure man defense anymore in this league, that the zone defense is a trend that everyone is doing, that the zone blitz is very effective aganist any team that refuses to throw any short routes. Slants, 5 yard curls and hooks, comebacks, wideout screens, running back hitch, tight end screens, reversed and any type of movement between 5-10 yards wasn't worth his time. He believed in that archaeic 7 STEP DROP SYSTEM which nearly got AARON BROOKS killed on opponing night. We, Raider fans, have had to deal with this mess for 11 guys. Tom never believed in running any type of motion, no trips formation, nothing that was true for a 21st century OFFENSIVE SYSTEM.

In comes John Stoops. I hope this guy is compotent enough to at least run more short patterns. Our line doesn't hold up long enough for the longer things to develop, especially the right side: Grove and Langston Walker are soft and they get pushed back to easy. Another thing, running a pure man-man blocking system has been horrid for us this past season.

El Tejano
11-30-2006, 10:51 AM
We are pretty banged up, we're on the road, and teams that want to feel like they are really good need only play us because our opponents come magically alive when they play us.

Aaron Brooks has sucked all year but will be simply awesome against us.

Gen_Man
11-30-2006, 10:57 AM

Actually we have a pretty good defense at most positions. Nmandi, Fabian and Huff are studs in the backfield; however, Kirk Morrsion, Thomas Howard, Robert Thomas, Sam Williams is one of the best LB crews we've fielded in years; these guys can make plays from sideline to sideline. Up front Burgess, Sapp, Sands, and Kelly are good. The only glaring problem this team has on defense is it lacks another true PASS RUSHER besides Burgess, it doesn't have a gem RUN STUFFER AT DT. I hope Terdel Sands turns into another Grady Jackson but I don't know. I hope we go out and draft Alan Branch from UM. And while the play of the secondary is better this year with the addition of M. Huff, our free safety Stu S. is garbage. He continues to take bad angles, he is poorus with over the top help and he is a shoe lace tackler. Personally, I would move HUFF to free, the guy has the type of ball-hawking ability that our defense needs as its last defense. Then I would draft or sign a SAFETY that can play in the box and smack the living crap out of any tight end or WIDEOUT that runs any inside pattern.

Remember this: Our defense has scored three touchdowns this season... two tds aganist Pitt and one aganist Cleveland. We've also put our offense in positions to suceed yet they've failed.

Gen_Man
11-30-2006, 10:59 AM
We are pretty banged up, we're on the road, and teams that want to feel like they are really good need only play us because our opponents come magically alive when they play us.

Aaron Brooks has sucked all year but will be simply awesome against us.

Brooks has played a total of 3 games this season. And he isn't our long term answer. However, as I've stated on a previous post, our line play is beyond bad this year. So, in essence, Brooks gives us (Oakland) the best shot to win because of his mobility.

Runner
11-30-2006, 11:02 AM
Tom didn't take into consideration that people do not play pure man defense anymore in this league, that the zone defense is a trend that everyone is doing, that the zone blitz is very effective aganist any team that refuses to throw any short routes. Slants, 5 yard culrs and hooks, comebacks, wideout screens, running back hitch, tight end screens, reversed and any type of movement between 5-10 yards wasn't worth his time. He believed in that archaeic 7 STEP DROP SYSTEM which nearly got AARON BROOKS killed on opponing night. We, Raider fans, have had to deal with this mess for 11 guys. Tom never believed in running any type of motion, no trips formation, nothing that was true for a 21st century OFFENSIVE SYSTEM.

Sounds like bizarro world Texans offense. Total opposites in a lot of ways; similar results.

Gen_Man
11-30-2006, 11:04 AM
Oakland has the #7 defense in the league (290 yds per game) & they are also #12 in points given up (20 per game). They are also 4th in the league in INTs (14) which is impressive considering that nobody has to pass on them cuz they are always losing.

With all that said, I would say that their defense is pretty dang good considering that their offense is ranked last in the NFL in points and yards & they are most certainly at the bottom of the league in time of possession.

Teams have tried to pass on our defense all year. The fact is the secondary play is improve and our front four is pretty good at breaking down the pocket from time to time. Philip Rivers, the new golden child of the league looked like a freshman starting his first game in HS. He was fluster and looked confused. OUR DB understood what he was trying to do. Nmandi, our best pure corner, had 1 INT and very possibly could of hand around 2 more. He dropped 2 INT that were in his hands. STU had a chance at a pick as well, but was late reacting to a ball they he and I believe GATES had their hands on. Morrison dropped another pick. We ran a pure COVER 1 SCHEME, with a deep safety and force Rivers into doing things he didn't like.

You are, however, correct, our defense is remarkable considering the lack of help we get from the offense. THE ONE question mark about the defense is it is acceptabe to big runs at the worst time.

whiskeyrbl
11-30-2006, 11:05 AM
Actually we have a pretty good defense at most positions. Nmandi, Fabian and Huff are studs in the backfield; however, Kirk Morrsion, Thomas Howard, Robert Thomas, Sam Williams is one of the best LB crews we've fielded in years; these guys can make plays from sideline to sideline. Up front Burgess, Sapp, Sands, and Kelly are good. The only glaring problem this team has on defense is it lacks another true PASS RUSHER besides Burgess, it doesn't have a gem RUN STUFFER AT DT. I hope Terdel Sands turns into another Grady Jackson but I don't know. I hope we go out and draft Alan Branch from UM. And while the play of the secondary is better this year with the addition of M. Huff, our free safety Stu S. is garbage. He continues to take bad angles, he is poorus with over the top help and he is a shoe lace tackler. Personally, I would move HUFF to free, the guy has the type of ball-hawking ability that our defense needs as its last defense. Then I would draft or sign a SAFETY that can play in the box and smack the living crap out of any tight end or WIDEOUT that runs any inside pattern.

Remember this: Our defense has scored three touchdowns this season... two tds aganist Pitt and one aganist Cleveland. We've also put our offense in positions to suceed yet they've failed.

Sounds as if we are mirror images of each other. Vastly improving Defenses, but no answers on Offense.

edo783
11-30-2006, 11:06 AM
. However, as I've stated on a previous post, our line play is beyond bad this year. .

We can identify with that. However, to be fair, our guys have done better than last year at pass ptotection because of the scheme we are running (short and often), but strangly are not blocking as well in the run game. We have lost both starting tackles and center for the year, so the mear fact that they have done only poorly is a positive.

the wonger need food
11-30-2006, 12:49 PM
If we lose to the Raiders we'll see more Young jerseys than Carr jerseys in Reliant Stadium next Sunday. Heck, that might happen anyway.

geofb
11-30-2006, 02:27 PM
The Raiders are favored so it will be a mild upset if we win.

ib4texans
12-01-2006, 12:52 AM
If we lose to the Raiders we'll see more Young jerseys than Carr jerseys in Reliant Stadium next Sunday. Heck, that might happen anyway.

Why? Is he going to come and play for the Texans?

touttail
12-01-2006, 12:13 PM

The Chargers just beat them by a touchdown last week. The Raiders held tight to them most of the game. You can't say they are worse than us.

Bobby 119C

TexanFanInCC
12-01-2006, 05:42 PM
if we lose to the raiders, then we are who we are....a bad team. raiders arent that good of a team, even though they have a respectable defense. the raiders have lots of injuries to the o-line and since the new o-coordinator is "conservative", then we really should have success in the pass rush.

Gen_Man
12-01-2006, 06:00 PM
if we lose to the raiders, then we are who we are....a bad team. raiders arent that good of a team, even though they have a respectable defense. the raiders have lots of injuries to the o-line and since the new o-coordinator is "conservative", then we really should have success in the pass rush.

Losing Barry Sims and Robert Gallery to injuries has actually helped us. Majority of RAIDER fans consider those two players bust. Gallery hasn't lived up to his build and Sims is a horrible Left Guard. My oh my... I miss the days of Wiz as our LG.