PDA

View Full Version : Sprinter Gatlin Worked Out By Texans

LORK 88
11-29-2006, 12:26 AM
Texans give world's fastest man Gatlin a look (http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9835062)

Nov. 28, 2006

By Pete Prisco
CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

Justin Gatlin, the gold-medal winner in the 100-meter dash in the 2004 Summer Olympics, appears ready to try his hand at the NFL.

Gatlin worked out for the Houston Texans on Tuesday, according to an NFL source. Gatlin attended the University of Tennessee but never played football. He tested positive for a banned substance, reportedly testosterone in April of this year, and, although he denied using the substance, he accepted an eight-year ban from track and field.

Gatlin, the world's fastest man and world record holder for the 100-meter dash at 9.76 seconds, tried out at wide receiver for the Texans. Gatlin set the world record in the 100 meters last May before his ban went into affect.

Gatlin would be following a long line of track stars who have attempted to cross over to the NFL. Included among them are John Carlos and Renaldo Nehemiah. Although Nehemiah had some success with the 49ers, none of the track stars ever made a major impact in the NFL after Olympic success.

Nehemiah, who played four seasons for the 49ers, is also Gatlin's agent. Earlier this year when the Philadelphia Eagles inquired about Gatlin playing football, Nehemiah said Gatlin didn't need football. But that was before the eight-year ban.

Gatlin last played football in 10th grade of high school, reportedly quitting the team in a dispute with a coach.

LORK 88
11-29-2006, 12:27 AM
Please feel free to laugh as much as possible as I did when I read this. Man, look what happens when I try to jump the gun with my avatar!!

dtran04
11-29-2006, 12:29 AM
I bet the guy has stonehands.

LORK 88
11-29-2006, 12:35 AM
Wouldnt be suprised dtran04, theres a reason why he's a track star. Anyone think we did this to test Mathis' speed?

Stampede
11-29-2006, 12:46 AM
100 meter dash?...LMAO...Anyone know how fast he is in the 5 yard slant?

hot pickle
11-29-2006, 01:51 AM
he can be out ted ginn jr.

i wonder if he can catch though

very interesting

Ibar_Harry
11-29-2006, 02:04 AM
Texans give world's fastest man Gatlin a look (http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9835062)

Nov. 28, 2006

By Pete Prisco
CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

Justin Gatlin, the gold-medal winner in the 100-meter dash in the 2004 Summer Olympics, appears ready to try his hand at the NFL.

Gatlin worked out for the Houston Texans on Tuesday, according to an NFL source. Gatlin attended the University of Tennessee but never played football. He tested positive for a banned substance, reportedly testosterone in April of this year, and, although he denied using the substance, he accepted an eight-year ban from track and field.

Gatlin, the world's fastest man and world record holder for the 100-meter dash at 9.76 seconds, tried out at wide receiver for the Texans. Gatlin set the world record in the 100 meters last May before his ban went into affect.

Gatlin would be following a long line of track stars who have attempted to cross over to the NFL. Included among them are John Carlos and Renaldo Nehemiah. Although Nehemiah had some success with the 49ers, none of the track stars ever made a major impact in the NFL after Olympic success.

Nehemiah, who played four seasons for the 49ers, is also Gatlin's agent. Earlier this year when the Philadelphia Eagles inquired about Gatlin playing football, Nehemiah said Gatlin didn't need football. But that was before the eight-year ban.

Gatlin last played football in 10th grade of high school, reportedly quitting the team in a dispute with a coach.

I thought Hayes was in this class. At least in my era he was the best in the 100. Didn't Hayes kind of play for the cowboys?

aj.
11-29-2006, 07:04 AM
Prisco is talking about track stars that 'attempted' to cross over into the NFL. Hayes was a legit football player as his three Pro Bowls would attest.

Texans_Chick
11-29-2006, 07:14 AM
My reaction to this is that the Texans will try out anyone. And file that information away for future reference.

I can't imagine them finding room for a guy who hasn't played football for that long.

Maybe it is an interesting way to light a fire under Mathis.

TEXANS84
11-29-2006, 07:57 AM
Looks like we are getting serious for the sprint competition in Hawaii. Finishing 2nd two years in a row has to wear on a franchise and its fans.

Now lets go for the win.

Stampede
11-29-2006, 08:00 AM
As a famous lawyer once said, so to speak...If the fire ain't Lit, You need to git. :)

TSgt.Texan
11-29-2006, 09:41 AM
Give him a chance. Hell, we keeped Cory "hands of stone" Bradford here 4 years.

Malloy
11-29-2006, 09:45 AM
Waterboy all over again, but this time it's actually FUN! :)

run-david-run
11-29-2006, 09:46 AM
Lol, now Carr can throw a 5 yard slant to the fastest man in the world!

TSgt.Texan
11-29-2006, 09:50 AM
Why take that chace on Dc throwing it? Just hand it to him.

SAMURAITEXAN
11-29-2006, 09:51 AM
If he can catch once in awhile, would be fun to watch him.

World class speed but hands............. will see.

GO TEXANS!!

TSgt.Texan
11-29-2006, 09:59 AM
If he can catch once in awhile, would be fun to watch him.

World class speed but hands............. will see.

GO TEXANS!!

Did we sign him?

SAMURAITEXAN
11-29-2006, 10:02 AM
Did we sign him?

No just worked out with TEXANS. I'm just saying what if thing that's all.

bah007
11-29-2006, 10:13 AM
He would be a better decoy than Reggie Bush at the least.

Put him on the field & run end arounds & fake reverses to him & see what happens.

At the worst, he could still be our Hail Mary guy.

Oh wait...

Hulk75
11-29-2006, 10:26 AM
Possatives- He is a pro in his own sport, has money, has got some serious speed, he has to be quick just to get off the block, looking for work so you know he will give his best.

Negatives- Can he catch?, Could he with stand a hit from NFL SS and Backers, would his illegal "steriod" stuff come back into play? NEVER PLAYED football since what HS (although David Neal was a wrestler and did not play in college, and he plays for the Patriots now I believe)

I say yes, cause I believe we need a smaller WR type with some speed "like" Steve Smith, Lee Evans, Santana Moss and WRs like that.
http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/oly/2005/0807/photo/a_gatlin_195.jpg

bah007
11-29-2006, 10:32 AM
His steroid "stuff" wouldnt come into play at all as long as he passes all the tests the NFL gives him.

V Man
11-29-2006, 10:42 AM

Maybe look at him on the other side of the ball.

How fast can he backpedal?

Does he have good hip turn?

Maybe steriod "rage" would make him a good head hunter.

Maybe he could be the one who could keep up with the Stallworths and the Evans of the league that repeatedly burn us.:shades:

Probably not. But I can dream can't I.

Hulk75
11-29-2006, 10:42 AM
No I meant would he go back to it. Thats all, not that he would be tested for anything, just if he would try anything again.

El Tejano
11-29-2006, 12:35 PM
Why not? Other than AJ and Moulds we have nothing special to add in the WR corp. Walter has done subpar but nothing to even get excited over.

TexanFanInCC
11-29-2006, 12:45 PM
this guy reminds me of the guy from the movie "the replacements" clifford franklin....can run but cant catch.

"The football's like a one-man cold to Clifford Franklin. Clifford Franklin's the only man catchin' it, Clifford Franklin's the only man comin' down wid it."

rmartin65
11-29-2006, 01:23 PM
I say give him a shot. He could pay off. With Mathis, AJ and Gatlin, that could be the fastest recieving corp ever.

OrangeCountyTexansFan
11-29-2006, 02:54 PM
I wouldn't use him as a receiver. But if he could tackle, I would of rather had someone like him over Faggins when we played the Bills. At least he could have caught up to Evans. More then I can say for Faggins.

TexanSam
11-29-2006, 03:02 PM
He tried out yesterday, the world's fastest man. Of course, he used performance enhancing drugs. Interesting...

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=sports&id=4807428

Buffi2
11-29-2006, 03:57 PM
According to MSNBC... http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15954386/

The Houston Texans took a look at banned former 100-meter world record-holder Justin Gatlin on Tuesday, but there is signing imminent, ESPN reported. Gatlin worked out with two other potential signees, Kevin McMahan of Maine and Jovan Witherspoon of Central Michigan, ESPN added.

To quote TC, What is up with this?
The Texans would be able to sign Gatlin in late December if they choose to do so, ESPN said.

So we are signing the world's fastest man with a drug history to play in one game? Maybe 2 at the most?

TexansLucky13
11-29-2006, 04:02 PM
I don't know about you guys but I like it. I agree with TC, this may be Kubiaks way of letting Mathis know that he better shape up.

LORK 88
11-29-2006, 04:14 PM
I really dont want to get my hopes or anyone elses up, but heres a statement to get some repsonses going: If Antonio Gates didn't play college football and is one of the most dominating TEs in the game, why can't Gatlin be one of the best deep threats in the NFL? http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/2866/targetwg0.gif

rmartin65
11-29-2006, 04:39 PM
I just watched PTI and Around the Horn, and some of the guys think its a good idea. Just a heads up.

Does anybody know how the tryouts went?

BradK10
11-29-2006, 05:59 PM
I watch a lot of track and I really like Gatlin. HOWEVER...as a 100m runner he was always a guy that started out of the blocks slow and then really pulled out halfway down the track.

Not sure how that translates to the NFL.

bah007
11-29-2006, 06:33 PM
I watch a lot of track and I really like Gatlin. HOWEVER...as a 100m runner he was always a guy that started out of the blocks slow and then really pulled out halfway down the track.

Not sure how that translates to the NFL.

Kick returns.

I hope he can take a hit.

Dr. Toro
11-29-2006, 06:36 PM
Looking at Gatlin's body type, I think he could carry 200 pounds (currently 185) and still be the fastest guy in football easily. Whereas most sprinters have big thighs and are thin/stringy everywhere else, he's pretty thick throughout. If the guy is 6'1", 200 with worlds fastest man speed he should be able to be coached into contributing in some capacity. He's 24, so nothing's impossible.

bah007
11-29-2006, 06:42 PM
Looking at Gatlin's body type, I think he could carry 200 pounds (currently 185) and still be the fastest guy in football easily. Whereas most sprinters have big thighs and are thin/stringy everywhere else, he's pretty thick throughout. If the guy is 6'1", 200 with worlds fastest man speed he should be able to be coached into contributing in some capacity. He's 24, so nothing's impossible.

He's banned for 8 years so I dont see why he wouldnt put in the effort to make it work.

If it was up to me & he had a stupid agent I would sign him to a 5-year contract with no signing bonus.

That way if he sucks we can cut him with no cap penalty & if he's good we have him locked up for a good amount of time.

YoungTexanFan
11-29-2006, 06:52 PM
I like the idea of signing him. Speed kills. Even if the WR sucks most of the time, he will have a few BIG games like Evans on us.

Why is anyone talking about his hands?? When did any of us get special access to his tryout to wittness his ability to catch. He is a well conditioned athlete and hands can be taught to an extent. Speed can't be taught. You cannot teach world class speed. He has good height, decent bulk with the distribution in his lower body and arms. I would want him as a flare out RB and/or a deep threat. Also, just signing him for a little publicity and intrigue never hurts.

Wolf
11-29-2006, 06:54 PM
gotta teach how to get open also.. how to run precise routes

texan279
11-29-2006, 07:06 PM
Texans not interested in signing Gatlin

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/6221350

HOUSTON (AP) - Olympic sprint champion Justin Gatlin trained with the Houston Texans of the National Football League on Tuesday, but coach Gary Kubiak said signing him was "not something we would do right now."

Gatlin, the co-world record holder in the 100 meters, tested positive for testosterone and other steroids in April.
Kubiak said Gatlin, who last played American football in high school, had worked out for several teams over the last month. The Texans worked him out as a receiver and Kubiak said team officials told him he was "very impressive."

"I'm sure it would be a big step for him to step up and start playing football," Kubiak said. "But that looks like it's something that he's interested in."

Gatlin was banned from athletics by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency but still has the option to appeal the length of his punishment. While his Olympic medals are not affected, he's likely to lose his share of the world record when appeals process is complete.

Kubiak said he isn't worried about the steroids matter, because the NFL is allowing him to train with teams.

"It was positive," Kubiak said of the workout. "He did a good job. Some of our people who were over there watching him were amazed at how fast he ran. I don't even know if he was full speed at that time. But he did catch the ball pretty good."

Dr. Toro
11-29-2006, 07:12 PM

I think the toughest thing would be to get him into a football mentality. Obviously he has tremendous talent, determination, work ethic, and can handle pressure. Knowing those things about him, and that he's got no other option than playing football or battling Joe Schmoes, I'd be willing to give him an extended look. If he's hungry, if he wants to remain a world class athlete after his 24th birthday, that will go a lot farther than his hands. He's gotta be hungry and he's gotta be tough. He's got the right body and athleticism to do a few things on the football field, but if he's got those intangibles, I think he could be a productive player. I know this franchise doesn't want to look like a sideshow, but we've gotta be open to as many high upside options as possible (Maurice Jones-Drew and VY are pretty unorthodox, they look good). We need a little bit of desperation on a losing team that seems pretty complacent.

FanFromCali
11-29-2006, 08:05 PM
It is fun to talk about but let's keep this in perspective...

1. Has not played football since the 10th grade.

2. Left that 10th grade team because he did not get along with the coach.

3. Has been a caught using steroids.

There are a lot of "red flags" here to get too excited. But again, it is nice to talk about something other than...

1. Carr sucks
2. AJ can't catch
3. Kubiak should be fired

and of course,

4. The team should have drafted (include any name here) rather than Williams.

Wolf
11-29-2006, 08:12 PM
glad you are a fan so we could see the positive in the team :rolleyes:

rmartin65
11-29-2006, 08:14 PM

HOUSTON (AP) - Olympic sprint champion Justin Gatlin trained with the Houston Texans of the National Football League on Tuesday, but coach Gary Kubiak said signing him was "not something we would do right now."

Gatlin, the co-world record holder in the 100 meters, tested positive for testosterone and other steroids in April.
Kubiak said Gatlin, who last played American football in high school, had worked out for several teams over the last month. The Texans worked him out as a receiver and Kubiak said team officials told him he was "very impressive."

"I'm sure it would be a big step for him to step up and start playing football," Kubiak said. "But that looks like it's something that he's interested in."

Gatlin was banned from athletics by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency but still has the option to appeal the length of his punishment. While his Olympic medals are not affected, he's likely to lose his share of the world record when appeals process is complete.

Kubiak said he isn't worried about the steroids matter, because the NFL is allowing him to train with teams.

"It was positive," Kubiak said of the workout. "He did a good job. Some of our people who were over there watching him were amazed at how fast he ran. I don't even know if he was full speed at that time. But he did catch the ball pretty good."

Good find, though a little dissapointing. If he can catch, with that speed why not sign him? We could use the help.

BradK10
11-29-2006, 08:44 PM
I don't believe he was caught with steroids. It was something else...

FanFromCali
11-29-2006, 10:52 PM
glad you are a fan so we could see the positive in the team :rolleyes:

No, you missed my point. I am sick of talking about things like I listed. In fact, I disagree with all of them. I would rather talk about positive things.

(I guess sarcasm does not translate well on a message board.)

FanFromCali
11-29-2006, 11:00 PM
I don't believe he was caught with steroids. It was something else...

You are right. It was an amphetamine in college (though he claimed it was for ADD) and most likely testosterone in the Olympics. (The committee did not report what the exact banned substance was and only leaks revealed it was testosterone and not steroids. But it could have been either. Either way, it equaled an eight-year ban.)

Wolf
11-29-2006, 11:07 PM
No, you missed my point. I am sick of talking about things like I listed. In fact, I disagree with all of them. I would rather talk about positive things.

(I guess sarcasm does not translate well on a message board.)

gotcha... I started a sarcastic thread .. and got hit badly for that

run-david-run
11-29-2006, 11:25 PM
I find it hard to believe that on a 53 man roster, where we have 2 Full Backs we cant find a place for him. Sign him to the league minimum and get him playing football again. By next season he could be an impact player, although a specialized one (deep threat, kick returns). If teams can afford to have two kickers, we can find a spot for the fastest human on the planet.

kcwilson
11-29-2006, 11:39 PM
I find it hard to believe that on a 53 man roster, where we have 2 Full Backs we cant find a place for him. Sign him to the league minimum and get him playing football again. By next season he could be an impact player, although a specialized one (deep threat, kick returns). If teams can afford to have two kickers, we can find a spot for the fastest human on the planet.

Myopia is curable.

Bad idea and my prrof you ask? Los Angeles/Oakland Raiders of the early to mid-90s... James Jett and a few other world class sprinters that could run like the wind straight ahead, but could never find the open seam or if they took a wrong turn into the open seam, couldn't catch the ball and run at the same time.

I was one of the first to pose the LIonel Dalton question when he was released because of the lack of depth we had at DT at the time... but what purpose does this serve? Do we need a guy that is *GASP* NOT A FOOTBALL PLAYER?!?!?!?!That is what this football team needs, we need NOT A FOOTBALL PLAYER. By the same standards... my hands are awesome... just throw me the ball anytime and I will catch it. I can't run at all, but the catching dimension of my game is outstanding.

Quit live in the fantasy world Peter Pan. Grow up and join us in the real world. What purpose would signing a non-football player serve this struggling franchise.

This board needs a bat signal of sorts that calls on the good Kaiser Toro to shine down and put the lock on outrages threads. I am going to go cut out a texans logo throw it on my flashlight and hope that a mod sees it.

Good lord.

LORK 88
11-29-2006, 11:52 PM
Relax buddy, we're just having fun with this!! Its news and some got carried away, but no need to go crazy on anyones opinion or create a thread asking for this to be locked down because you dont agree with us working out a sprinter. It happened, no big deal.

Big78
11-30-2006, 12:56 AM

It seemed like everything Kubiak said about Gatlin and what he said others thought of him was good or even great. Yet, he still isnt interested. Just seems like if u were telling people u werent interested u would give some example of a negative other than his moving into the NFL being "a big step". I agree with those who say if we can find room for 2 fullbacks, 3 tight ends, and 7 or 8 linebackers, why not give this guy 1 offseason to show what he can do.if nothing else, if he shows us he can really do something it might allow us to use a pick in the draft on a position that needs addressing but otherwise might have been passes over.

Mattheus_Rex
11-30-2006, 02:25 AM
100 meter dash?...LMAO...Anyone know how fast he is in the 5 yard slant?

No kidding. 100 meter dash is straight, how well can he cut? :rolleyes:

infantrycak
11-30-2006, 08:46 AM
Quit live in the fantasy world Peter Pan. Grow up and join us in the real world. What purpose would signing a non-football player serve this struggling franchise.

This board needs a bat signal of sorts that calls on the good Kaiser Toro to shine down and put the lock on outrages threads. I am going to go cut out a texans logo throw it on my flashlight and hope that a mod sees it.

Good lord.

Step back off the diving board--the suggestion isn't that silly. Is it a high odds deal?--absolutely not. But it could have a very high reward--Bob Hayes, who many say should be in the Hall. Now might not be the time to bring the guy in because of roster spots but if he is still out there the day rosters open up then there is zero reason not to try him out in mini-camps, etc. No reason to get all worked up about the possibility.

LORK 88
11-30-2006, 08:53 AM
and just for anyone who thinks that it cant be done, check out the NY Giants roster, a WR by the name of Mike Jennings. He never played football in college and was able to walk on to their 53 man roster. He's caught some passes, been in on some reverses, and returns kicks occasionally. Of course theirs always Antonio Gates who never played in college . . .

Holden135
11-30-2006, 10:01 AM
I doubt he can play a lick of football. He probobly can't catch at all. But Stuart Scott said on sportscenter his 40 time is in the 3.8 to 3.9 range. OMG that is crazy. We talk about Mathis as having world class speed but in reality he is nowhere close. Gatlin could be a good project player. Yes he did steroids but i have never heard he has a bad attitude. I say give the guy a chance. Give him a personal trainer in the off season to strictly work on running routes and catching the ball. See what happens. We could get him for cheap and if he picks anything up he could be an explosive player. What do we have to lose. We are already in last place.

Hulk75
11-30-2006, 10:04 AM
I heard he ran a 4.2 in shoes inside the bubble.

infantrycak
11-30-2006, 10:19 AM
But Stuart Scott said on sportscenter his 40 time is in the 3.8 to 3.9 range. OMG that is crazy.

Stuart Scott is speaking out his arse.

Ride 'Em
11-30-2006, 10:45 AM
Teams probably won't want to bring a guy like this in during the season but I bet he gets an invitation to at least one training camp next year. (Hopefully the Texans, that would be fun.)

edo783
11-30-2006, 10:49 AM
Stuart Scott is speaking out his arse.

That should make it easy for him to hear as that is often where his head is located.:mario2:

Dime
11-30-2006, 03:52 PM
I heard he ran a 4.2 in shoes inside the bubble.

heck, he might run faster if he knows a NFL Lineman or LB is coming after him. Reminds me of the Waterboy with a football.

Ryan82
11-30-2006, 04:07 PM
That great that he doesn't have football experience. He shouldn't have any bad habits in his route running. Just walk through the route with him and the have him run it.

kenneth24
11-30-2006, 04:37 PM
Willie Gault anyone?

Stuart Scott just gives the facts! And only the facts! :rolleyes:

trublu
11-30-2006, 05:24 PM
I wonder how Chris Brown feels knowing the Texans brought Gatlin in to replace him. It's about time though, we need a new kicker.:francis:

real
11-30-2006, 05:28 PM
That great that he doesn't have football experience. He shouldn't have any bad habits in his route running. Just walk through the route with him and the have him run it.

If only it were that simple....

rmartin65
11-30-2006, 05:56 PM
I have a question though, why workout a guy if you are not interested in signing someone? It sounds like he did well, why did they even work him out if he was not gonna get signed anyway?

Koolbrz
11-30-2006, 11:01 PM

With his speed just send him on a fly and let Carr air out to him. Would be fun to watch. We could also use him on some end arounds, reverses, kickoff/punt returns. Kinda like what Pittsburgh did with Randle El. Just never know what he might be able to do until given a chance.

Big78
11-30-2006, 11:54 PM
i say unless he is asking for an unreasonable amount of money then sign him. what would it hurt? and what might we gain?

Ryan82
12-01-2006, 10:18 AM
We better sign him. I'm going to be pissed, if we don't alteast give him a chance with speed like that. Hmmm we need a tailback also. I think he will be able to get around the corner on sweeps.

GP
12-01-2006, 11:45 AM
We better sign him. I'm going to be pissed, if we don't alteast give him a chance with speed like that. Hmmm we need a tailback also. I think he will be able to get around the corner on sweeps.

IMO, this is the sure sign that our franchise is dying.

One of the signs of a dying franchise, desparate for help, is that they "try out" or even "sign" an oddity, a freak show.

What's next...a midget punter? Well, wait a second...I might be onto something here...a midget punter would have about as much "leg" as Stanley. Where's mini-me at? Get shorty on the phone.

Hey, I know...we could sign a LB from the WWE (Oh, wait...the Vikings tried that).

When I saw this news, I sighed a heavy sigh and shook my head.

Grasping at straws is all this is.

Maybe Kubiak knew we were thirsty for something unique. He threw us a bone to shut us up. Diversionary tactics (LOOK OVER THERE!).

I bet Kubiak's finding out that you can't plug just "anybody" into the RB spot behind our o line. I'd like us to spend every single pick on o line this year...wouldn't that be awesome? O line. O line. O line. O line. O line. The analysts at ESPN would freak out. And a few of our veteran o linemen would freak out, too.

OzzO
12-01-2006, 12:12 PM
I have a question though, why workout a guy if you are not interested in signing someone? It sounds like he did well, why did they even work him out if he was not gonna get signed anyway?

Starting the offseason search early this year, especially for our new FO. Leave no stone unturned and now they have the knowledge of what he can do and will compare that to what's out there when the offseason does come around for a little comparison.

They could always go back to him... if needed / available. The rest of this season will be for the coaches to see what they got so they know what to replace in what me our first "whirl-wind" of an offseason.

Double Barrel
12-01-2006, 12:31 PM
gotcha... I started a sarcastic thread .. and got hit badly for that

With your forum experience, you should have known that the sarcastically-challenged would have none of that. :dangit:

I'd like us to spend every single pick on o line this year...wouldn't that be awesome? O line. O line. O line. O line. O line. The analysts at ESPN would freak out. And a few of our veteran o linemen would freak out, too.

A man can dream, can't he? I'd like to at least see one of our first two picks on an offensive lineman (if not both). I'm sick of having a sub-par line after five years in this league. It's insane to think that our offense will ever be anything with the patch jobs we keep throwing out there. At some point we need to build with a first round pick on a LT that might be here for a decade or longer. I don't regret Mario, but D'brick would have been a nice choice, too.

GP
12-01-2006, 01:00 PM
First off, Gatlin offers something that no one in the league has, a sub 10 sec 100 meter dash. For your info, there have only been around 8 people to ever to run sub 10 in the 100 meters. Oh, and we are not the first team to work the guy out. I would throw this one out to you, Carl Lewis ran 9.9, GATLIN RAN 9.75, go check the WORLD RECORD, his name is there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is the fastest man alive!!!!! Saying this guy coming in is a reach is stupid. Look at TE Gates (Pro Bowl) he did not play college foot ball. The Texans wont sign this guy but they will sign Ron Dayne?????????????????????????????????????????

Wow. Ease up, I was just attempting to put some humor out there.

If we wanted him, we would have signed him.

We might still sign him.

But I doubt it.

If anything, it might have been posturing to let Mathis know that there are other guys out there who are fast and would want a job on Sundays.

I would be hesitant to throw anything but the minimum one-year deal at this guy. He hasn't played in pads, nor has he even played at the NFL level...which could put him out of action really fast (as fast as he can run into a psycho gunner screaming down the field at Gatlin).

A little perspective goes a long way, ya' know....

Tale Gator
12-01-2006, 01:09 PM
First off, Gatlin offers something that no one in the league has, a sub 10 sec 100 meter dash. For your info, there have only been around 8 people to ever to run sub 10 in the 100 meters.

Fyi -- Michael Bennet [RB Chiefs] can run a sub 10 second 100 meter dash. There a great deal more people who have run under 10 seconds than you realize.

michaelm
12-01-2006, 05:04 PM
For the life of me I can't figure out why anyone would even question THIS team for giving ANYONE a try out.

If Kubiak has a presser and says he decided to give a tryout to a guy he saw run to the corner of Kirby and Westridge and catch a bus, my reaction would be "Freakin' fair enough, coach!"
"I guess that guy can run and catch..."

infantrycak
12-01-2006, 05:12 PM
IMO, this is the sure sign that our franchise is dying.

One of the signs of a dying franchise, desparate for help, is that they "try out" or even "sign" an oddity, a freak show.

Yeah, those Cowboys sure did die off after signing Bob Hayes.

If we wanted him, we would have signed him.

There was a mention in one of the reports that he cannot be signed for some reason by any team until December. He has been worked out by several teams--for some reason it was news for the Texans.

A little perspective goes a long way, ya' know....

Yes it does.

rmartin65
03-16-2007, 05:10 PM
I must be losing my mind. I thought I revived this thread just a while ago, and some people answered. I come back to check what happened, and nothing was written.

hollywood_texan
03-16-2007, 05:12 PM
I must be losing my mind. I thought I revived this thread just a while ago, and some people answered. I come back to check what happened, and nothing was written.

I saw it too.

Maybe they deleted their posts or the mods.

Why are you even concerned about this guy?

I don't see the relevance to today, which is probably why it was deleted.

I purposely didn't post before because I thought this thread should go back where it came from, which was deep in the archives.

I just didn't want you to go crazy.

rmartin65
03-16-2007, 05:14 PM
No real reason, just curious about what people were thinking. The marketing name vs. avg. player thread got me thinking. Thanks for looking out for my sanity

Vinny
03-16-2007, 05:15 PM
No real reason, just curious about what people were thinking. The marketing name vs. avg. player thread got me thinking. Thanks for looking out for my sanity
nobody is thinking anything about this guy. Hope that helped.

O.G.
03-17-2007, 10:26 AM
Hey Vinny Didn't Gatlin play some college football? I can't remember. And doesn't Mathis have world class speed, he's a track athlete as well. Unless they plan on cutting Mathis and having Gatlin take his place, I don't see him here. Someone might give him a chance somewhere though.

taxman
03-17-2007, 08:09 PM

When the pressure is on, can he hold on to the ball. It takes a long time to really get the feel of the football, when flying throught the air and getting hit at the same time, and holding onto the ball. I really don't know, if he is the guy we want.

Navy_Chris
03-17-2007, 11:03 PM
When the pressure is on, can he hold on to the ball. It takes a long time to really get the feel of the football, when flying throught the air and getting hit at the same time, and holding onto the ball. I really don't know, if he is the guy we want.

We would pay him the league minimum if we sign him. If he turns out to be a bust and worthless, we didn't lose much to get him in the first place. On the other hand, if he turns out to show some playmaking ability and maybe the possibility to help out on special teams, then we made not so bad of a find. I think we should sign him....at least invite him to TC and see what he can do when the boys are flyin' at him.

MATRIX
03-18-2007, 12:09 AM
WR...no

KR...why not? If he isn't scared to get hit, and can make 1-2 miss...with his speed he'd be gone.

Mathis has GREAT speed, sub 4.4...but Gatlin is like 4.2. So, either is legit and dangerous as returners. Mathis gets the nod seeingwe know he CAN catch.

O.G.
03-19-2007, 07:14 AM
WR...no

KR...why not? If he isn't scared to get hit, and can make 1-2 miss...with his speed he'd be gone.

Mathis has GREAT speed, sub 4.4...but Gatlin is like 4.2. So, either is legit and dangerous as returners. Mathis gets the nod seeingwe know he CAN catch.

Mathis ran a 4.25 I believe at the combine with a partially pulled hamstring

bigbrewster2000
03-19-2007, 08:30 AM
Mathis ran a 4.25 I believe at the combine with a partially pulled hamstring

He ran a 4.28 and a 4.31 no partially pulled hamstring.

And for the original poster Gatlin had not played football since his sophmore year in Highschool.

coachdent
03-19-2007, 08:55 AM

And for the original poster Gatlin had not played football since his sophmore year in Highschool.

Wait a minute.... you say that Gaitlin has not played football since his sophomore year in high school??? Sweet! We now have our man to compete with Sage for the starting quarterback position! :joker: He's obviously more than qualified!

Carr Bombed
03-19-2007, 10:02 AM

Mathis had a strained hamstring.