PDA

View Full Version : is spencer injury career ending??

ravinaznt
11-28-2006, 05:47 PM
i read on this in this board that kubiak said yesterday on 610 that his injury is career ending?? is that true?

Goldeagle
11-28-2006, 05:48 PM
GOD I hope not, he looked pretty good as a rookie and look at how bad the O-line is now.

real
11-28-2006, 05:50 PM
no .

Wolf
11-28-2006, 05:51 PM
someone stated that they thought Kubiak said he was deeply concerned about it, but not sure what that means at this point

Carr Bombed
11-28-2006, 05:54 PM
I hate Ron Dayne................

HJam72
It just sounds to me like it COULD have been career-ending, but it's not. Sure hope I'm right.

Wolf

hasn't he knocked out 2 people?
or am I mistaken?

YoungTexanFan
11-28-2006, 05:56 PM
or am I mistaken?

are you counting dayne himself as one of those players?

HOU-TEX
11-28-2006, 05:57 PM
or am I mistaken?

Not quite. Other than Spencer he took out Salaam for several plays IIRC.

Carr Bombed
11-28-2006, 05:58 PM
or am I mistaken?

Don't know

I just know he took out our LT a LT that actually looked promising and one that had a mean streak in a position that has been bleeding for 5 years

I hate Ron Dayne..........

OzzO
11-28-2006, 05:58 PM
I believe Kubiak mentioned along the lines that he was concerned about the injury in that he's not sure if Spencer will ever be back to his previous form before the injury.

Double Barrel
11-28-2006, 05:59 PM
What a bummer. Even if it's not career ending, it's still bad enough of an injury that there is serious doubt about Spencer living up to his pre-injury potential.

LT appears to be a cursed position on this team....not a good thing in any way.

kingh99
11-28-2006, 05:59 PM

I do to. Actually I aint too happy with Kubiak for bringing that stiff in here.

nunusguy
11-28-2006, 06:50 PM
I believe Kubiak mentioned along the lines that he was concerned about the injury in that he's not sure if Spencer will ever be back to his previous form before the injury.
Are you refering to his comment about Spencer on SR 610 yesterday between
5 - 6 PM ?
Because I think somebody called in and asked about Spencer, but Kubiaks response was not audible to me and he didn't repeat it.
What did he say ?

DontTreadOnMe
11-28-2006, 07:38 PM
if it is career ending,... crappy luck, but oh well. no use beating yourself up or thinking "what could have been" because we'll probably never see spencer play again. its really not that surprising considering the way things have gone with our franchise since conception..

HJam72
11-28-2006, 07:46 PM
What a bummer. Even if it's not career ending, it's still bad enough of an injury that there is serious doubt about Spencer living up to his pre-injury potential.

We need a vomitting smilie.

aj.
11-28-2006, 08:52 PM

I heard it live, and that's what I heard.

All in the context of "he's doing fine, but..."

Houston_Fanatic
11-28-2006, 09:04 PM
I was hoping for more positive news by now.

I guess we won't know how he really is until training camp next year.

aj.
11-28-2006, 09:06 PM
I think learning to walk normally will be on his near term agenda.

Scottyboy
11-28-2006, 09:10 PM
NO doubt? does this team every get good news! Jeez whats next?

I heard Mario Williams crazy toe nails will soon lead to, ..Yes u guess it

"TURF TOE" :shoot:

Houston_Fanatic
11-28-2006, 09:23 PM
I got it - they built Reliant on the same old Indian burial ground as the Dome and WE ARE CURSED!!!

:brickwall:

Grid
11-28-2006, 09:31 PM
...this is so depressing.

one step forward two steps back.

Marcus
11-29-2006, 01:13 AM

It's known as the Boselli Curse. The Jags are cursed in that by palming off a cripple that never played a down, the Texans will forever have their number on the field, and the Texans are cursed in that the LT will always be a problem position.

painekiller
11-29-2006, 01:28 AM
First off, until Spencer is able to some light running or even walking, the team will not know the extent of the time to recover. Second, Kubiak has already stated that the lose of time on the field to refine his techniques is the biggest lose of the season.

As it stands now, we have a huge question mark over Spencer, because "A", we are not sure if he ever was the real answer at LT, and "B" we are not sure how the injury will affect a 350 lbs man.

dbspi
11-29-2006, 03:21 AM
I was the one who had originally posted this about Spencer.

Some one asked Kubiak on Monday radio show about Spencer and this is what he said on the radio.

Kubiak said Spencer injury was very bad and even though he has had successful surgery no one can say for sure if Spencer will ever be back to his preinjury status or any thing close to it. He said it may be career ending injury but he can't say anything right now and nor can any doctor will say anything right now.

He said with ACL injury, normally players are able to come back and play well but in Spencer's case location where the injury has occurred is not considered very good for athletes. Spencer is a big man so no one can predict how it will turn out.

Heading into off season now tackle position become matter of concern for Texans.

aj.
11-29-2006, 07:20 AM
He said it may be career ending injury .

Kubiak did not say the words 'career ending.' He did express concern about his recovery... again, what A4 said earlier in this thread.

real
11-29-2006, 09:19 AM
He said with ACL injury, normally players are able to come back and play well but in Spencer's case location where the injury has occurred is not considered very good for athletes.

He tore ligaments?

I thought it was just a fracture....

Runner
11-29-2006, 09:30 AM
He tore ligaments?

I thought it was just a fracture....

A high break in the bone like he had often results in soft tissue damage too. That is why they've been saying the leg was broken in a bad place.

I think everyone should calm down; it sounds like they still have no definitive answers, but that is the nature of this type of injury. They have to wait for the bone to heal before they address the ligaments.

Didn't one of the LBs that went down in camp had the same injury.

Tayton
11-29-2006, 09:30 AM
All I heard him say was that of the disappointing things that happened this year the injury to Spencer was one of the worst. Don't remember the exact words but that it was a bad injury and that they don't know if he will be able to get back to his previous form. Take that for what it's worth.

Big J
11-29-2006, 09:33 AM
Can we ever get a break? No pun intended.

Crazyhorse
11-29-2006, 09:36 AM
First of all from all I read he did not damage ligaments but the break was high enough on the lower leg that it could affect where ligaments attach to the bone.
Also Spencer is not 350. He was 350 coming out of school last year but was down to 325 at the end of preseason.
Everyone involved with his rehab has stressed the importance of him keeping weight off while the leg heals and again from various articles he appears to be doing well and is healing without complications but it's to early to determine the complete extent of the recovery.

Meloy
11-29-2006, 09:56 AM
As there will be no way before the draft that the team will know if he will play, how can they not address LT in early rounds? We have hoped the RB position was fixed, still not sure. Same can be said for DT with 3 players out. With the Oline expected to block for Carr & backs, don't we have to make an impact move at left tackle?

painekiller
11-29-2006, 10:12 AM
I think Kubiak was saying "with an ACL injury" you know the time table, and it has been proven time and time again. With Spencer's injury, you do not have the same kind of repetitive recover to use to predict his return. Every broken leg injury is different in where it breaks and the extent of injury to the soft tissue and the atrophy of the muscles in the leg in a cast.

Guys no one will know where Spencer is until spring time. And even then we may not have a solid return by date.

Marcus
11-29-2006, 10:28 AM
Spencer's injury may or may not be career ending.

But they should pretend that it IS career ending, and draft accordingly.

beerlover
11-29-2006, 10:36 AM
sounds like Spencer could need some Painkiller......worst case he never plays again, best case he returns and plays LT. my guess would be somewhere in between maybe RT probably LG & moving Pitts back to LT if not drafting someone early who could start.

Joe Staley CMU should be available in the 2nd most likely gone by the 3rd. just another option to consider, if the Texans can work a trade down & pick up another 2nd in the deal it would make alot of sense. He is 6-5 300 lbs somewhat small for his position (not sure about his arm length) but is cat quick & would seem like a good fit for Kubiaks system.

best of luck to Charles I really hope he can have a full recovery :thumbup

TheRealJoker
11-29-2006, 02:43 PM
This may change our draft strategy. If Spencer cannot come back we MUST go OL in the 1st.

real
11-29-2006, 02:48 PM
This may change our draft strategy. If Spencer cannot come back we MUST go OL in the 1st.

I don't understand this thinking...

Spencer was our starting left tackle as a rookie....

He was a third rd. pick....So why is it now that Spencer went down, we "MUST" go OL in the first???

TheRealJoker
11-29-2006, 02:49 PM
Because now its Salaam or bust.

Do you really want it to be Salaam or bust?

real
11-29-2006, 03:22 PM
Because now its Salaam or bust.

Do you really want it to be Salaam or bust?

Put down the gun....:gun:.....and step away from the ledge....

There are other options......:secret:

eriadoc
11-29-2006, 03:24 PM

He was a third rd. pick....So why is it now that Spencer went down, we "MUST" go OL in the first???

Because if our LT position was bad enough for a 3rd round draft choice rookie to be the starting LT, it's bad enough to draft LT in the 1st.

Meloy
11-29-2006, 03:30 PM

He was a third rd. pick....So why is it now that Spencer went down, we "MUST" go OL in the first???SPencer was best tackle in 3rd not best in first 3 rounds. Who did he beat out this season? He was best we had. The way our O line has gone with injuries we should go with one of the two best tackles mentioned coming out next season. I think we did not adress oline earlier as Kubes thought Mario was bigger need than Ferguson. And who can argue that the second round selection was dead on? I like what little we saw of Spencer but we NEED another left tackle even if he comes back strong. The position is too important to hope Salaam can hold up if starter goes down again.

real
11-29-2006, 03:30 PM
Because if our LT position was bad enough for a 3rd round draft choice rookie to be the starting LT, it's bad enough to draft LT in the 1st.

:shocked...........say what ?

Does this same principle apply to Owen Daniels...or Meco ???

Why is it that the position was "bad enough" ?? How come Spencer couldn't just be "good enough"???

I don't understand that thought process either....

and I'm not against taking Thomas in the first, but not by that reasoning....

eriadoc
11-29-2006, 03:39 PM
:shocked...........say what ?

Does this same principle apply to Owen Daniels...or Meco ???

Why is it that the position was "bad enough" ?? How come Spencer couldn't just be "good enough"???

I don't understand that thought process either....

and I'm not against taking Thomas in the first, but not by that reasoning....

The LT position has been a black hole on this team from Day One. Many fans here (myself included) were clamoring for Ferguson in the first round last year. I posted quite a few posts as to why we needed the best available LT in the draft. We settled for Charles Spencer. As I said at the time, if we can somehow take a gem from a later round and turn him into a stud LT, sign me up. I'm all for it. However, I'd rather see the team go ahead and draft someone that is widely projected to become a great left tackle in the mold of Walter Jones, Orlando Pace, Jon Ogden, etc. Heck, even the next step down of Pro Bowl LTs are pretty top-notch - Levi Jones, Tarik Glenn, etc. All those guys were drafted highly. In fact, most of the top sixteen teams in the NFL last year had a starting tackle that was drafted very highly. Yes, it's true you can get a great player from anywhere in the draft. If this team can pull it off, I'll be ecstatic. In the meantime, I wouldn't mind seeing them draft a stud LT in the first round and develop him. If one of our other tackles turns out to be great as well .... well, nothing says we can't have very good bookend tackles, right?

And yes, the TE position was that bad (last year), as was the MLB position. To their credit, OD and Ryans beat out legitimate NFL veterans in training camp for their positions, so it's not like I'm saying they have to be bad to be starters. And Spencer could be great - we don't know yet. But the LT position has been bad for a long time. It just gets old.

real
11-29-2006, 03:42 PM
SPencer was best tackle in 3rd not best in first 3 rounds.

You don't know that....That's like sayin Marques Colston wasn't the best rookie WR... Or Meco wasn't the best LB...he was only the best in the second....

Who did he beat out this season? He was best we had. The way our O line has gone with injuries we should go with one of the two best tackles mentioned coming out next season. I think we did not adress oline earlier as Kubes thought Mario was bigger need than Ferguson. And who can argue that the second round selection was dead on?

Who'd he beat out?......everybody who competed for the spot....

And what do injuries have to do with drafting an OL in the first rd....
All injuries mean is that you need quality depth behind your starters...A better argument would be that LT is our biggest NEED, and we need a quality starter....

because we can get Quality depth in later rds...

I like what little we saw of Spencer but we NEED another left tackle even if he comes back strong. The position is too important to hope Salaam can hold up if starter goes down again.

Why does it end with Salaam ? Why can't we draft a quality LT in the second or third??? Why does it have to be a first rd. pick ??

real
11-29-2006, 03:52 PM
The LT position has been a black hole on this team from Day One. Many fans here (myself included) were clamoring for Ferguson in the first round last year. I posted quite a few posts as to why we needed the best available LT in the draft. We settled for Charles Spencer. As I said at the time, if we can somehow take a gem from a later round and turn him into a stud LT, sign me up.

Ok...

But we have other needs as well...

We spent two picks last year on OL...specifically Tackles.....

Not one pick was spent on Secondary...And IMO, that is one of the worst areas of our team....

I honestly expect us to go Poslunsky or Landry in the first....

I wouldn't be terribly upset with Thomas...But I think lack of talent in the secondary and LB corps is hurting us more right now than lack of talent on the O-line

eriadoc
11-29-2006, 04:03 PM
Ok...

Not one pick was spent on Secondary...And IMO, that is one of the worst areas of our team....

I wouldn't be terribly upset with Thomas...But I think lack of talent in the secondary and LB corps is hurting us more right now than lack of talent on the O-line

I'll agree with you about the secondary. Unfortunately, top corners and top tackles are typically taken very highly in the draft. So I wouldn't feel bad about getting a top corner in the draft, either. Historically speaking, linebacker and safety are positions that have a higher percentage of success stories from later rounds, so we should be able to improve all three areas.

Double Barrel
11-29-2006, 05:10 PM

Because you don't get guys like Orlando Pace, Willie Roaf, or D'brick in later rounds. Left tackles are worth their weight in gold in the NFL, and I have little doubt that you already know this to be true. I'd like to have a guy at LT that will play the position with us for a decade or more.

At some point, the Texans are going to have to bite the bullet and spend some high picks on the offensive line.

Meloy
11-29-2006, 05:12 PM
You don't know that....That's like sayin Marques Colston wasn't the best rookie WR... Or Meco wasn't the best LB...he was only the best in the second....

Who'd he beat out?......everybody who competed for the spot....

And what do injuries have to do with drafting an OL in the first rd....
All injuries mean is that you need quality depth behind your starters...A better argument would be that LT is our biggest NEED, and we need a quality starter....

because we can get Quality depth in later rds... I guess we just do not understand each other. My point with Spencer being best tackle in 3rd round- that is where he was picked. Who did he beat out? There were not a lot of great tackles ahead of him on team.. I think that is obvious. I don't think we have quality depth now at LT & that is why I would select the highest rated tackle whenever we draft in 1st round.

Why does it end with Salaam ? Why can't we draft a quality LT in the second or third??? Why does it have to be a first rd. pick ??We can draft a quality LT in later rounds, we did that with the two we got in 3rd last year. Ferguson was rated above the two we got for a reason.

ArlingtonTexan
11-29-2006, 05:19 PM
Because you don't get guys like Orlando Pace, Willie Roaf, or D'brick in later rounds. Left tackles are worth their weight in gold in the NFL, and I have little doubt that you already know this to be true. I'd like to have a guy at LT that will play the position with us for a decade or more.

At some point, the Texans are going to have to bite the bullet and spend some high picks on the offensive line.

I think last year a couple of us looked up the draft history and something like half of the starting Left tackles in the league origianlly were 1st round draft picks and only like a handful were found on the 2nd day.

real
11-29-2006, 05:46 PM

I would lean this direction....

But I have a problem with the reasoning....

Drafting a LT in the first doesn't make him a stud...

And even if he turns into a stud...that doesn't equal winning....

I look at teams like the Colts...Pats...Denver....and Pittsburg.....

They have good O-LINES......And IMO, you can build a solid unit with good coaching, and decent talent...If we want a good O-line for years to come we need to develop a system, and find a coach who can implement it...Drafting a stud LT in the first rd. isn't going to solve our O-line woes...

At this point we need so much, that I wouldn't be upset with any of the picks people have thrown out there for us.....Peterson, Thomas, Landry...

real
11-29-2006, 05:48 PM
We can draft a quality LT in later rounds, we did that with the two we got in 3rd last year. Ferguson was rated above the two we got for a reason.

And every other WR was rated above Colston for a reason too right ?

And Demeco has been the best rookie on defense this year, yet he lasted until the second rd...

That was for a reason too I suppose....

Goldeagle
11-29-2006, 05:59 PM

Looks like we take a LT with the 2-3 pick this year.

Double Barrel
11-29-2006, 07:44 PM
I would lean this direction....

But I have a problem with the reasoning....

Drafting a LT in the first doesn't make him a stud...

And even if he turns into a stud...that doesn't equal winning....

I look at teams like the Colts...Pats...Denver....and Pittsburg.....

They have good O-LINES......And IMO, you can build a solid unit with good coaching, and decent talent...If we want a good O-line for years to come we need to develop a system, and find a coach who can implement it...Drafting a stud LT in the first rd. isn't going to solve our O-line woes...

At this point we need so much, that I wouldn't be upset with any of the picks people have thrown out there for us.....Peterson, Thomas, Landry...

While I agree with the general idea that drafting in the first round doesn't necessarily make him a stud, the fact of the matter is that the majority of stud LTs are first round picks.

And while solid linemen can be coached, the trick is that there are a limited number of coaches in the NFL that have the ability to coach up players. I don't think the Texans are a team that has ever had any coaches that are this caliber.

So I think we've got to get the raw talent first and foremost. Drafting another skill player won't do squat if they don't have the holes to run through and we can't give our QB enough time in the pocket without setting sack records.

If you look at five years of drafts, this team has NEVER made our o-line a top priority. That's just whack, IMO. Comparing us with other dominant NFL teams doesn't instill any confidence in me, simply because we don't have their front office talent at any point in our history. That makes all the difference in the world, obviously.

CT CSTM
11-29-2006, 11:02 PM
Spencer is doing fine,,,actually really well,,,hes recovering ahead of schedule,,,hes been off the crutches I think right about 2 weeks. He's following Dr's orders to a T and is walking pretty good all ready. He'll start running and working out soon enough. He's in very good spirits and should be ready physically and mentally next year...He's a young aggressive guy with a really good head on his shoulders...Hes got a long career ahead of him,,,

YoungTexanFan
11-29-2006, 11:08 PM
Spencer is doing fine,,,actually really well,,,hes recovering ahead of schedule,,,hes been off the crutches I think right about 2 weeks. He's following Dr's orders to a T and is walking pretty good all ready. He'll start running and working out soon enough. He's in very good spirits and should be ready physically and mentally next year...He's a young aggressive guy with a really good head on his shoulders...Hes got a long career ahead of him,,,

and you are?

for one, you're without any sort of linkage or proof other than 3 previous posts.

CT CSTM
11-29-2006, 11:13 PM
and you are?

for one, you're without any sort of linkage or proof other than 3 previous posts.

A personal friend of his,,,,Didn't mean to get flamed over answering the original posted question,,,,

aj.
11-29-2006, 11:18 PM

Good to hear. Keep us posted. He has a lot of fans out here pulling for him.

beerlover
11-29-2006, 11:22 PM
A personal friend of his,,,,Didn't mean to get flamed over answering the original posted question,,,,

cool :cool: wish him the very best from this board & a speedy recovery :bananasplit:

YoungTexanFan
11-30-2006, 12:08 AM
And you are?

Hows about not being a douche bag?

Thanks for the info....even if it is'nt real its still a little sunshine on a cloudy season!!:mario2:

I see no fault in questioning a new poster who claims to have insider info with no link.

If he is who he says he is, it's fine, and we move on and look for more updates from him with eager anticipation.

As for you, you should be banned for a day or so if not forever. However, I do not wish that even on the most ignorant posters of this board and hope you can someday soon become a well respected member of our MB, but calling people names like that does little but prove stupidity and digs a hole...but good luck none the less to you.

YoungTexanFan
11-30-2006, 12:36 AM

If you are who you claim to be, I'm sorry I jumped the gun. I was expecting a troll of sorts who was going to claim new leads with out proof. However, I will believe you until you prove yourself wrong a few times. I look foward to seeing you post more on him in the future.

real
11-30-2006, 09:25 AM
If you are who you claim to be, I'm sorry I jumped the gun. I was expecting a troll of sorts who was going to claim new leads with out proof. However, I will believe you until you prove yourself wrong a few times. I look foward to seeing you post more on him in the future.

You should look up his post history....

This isn't the first time he's updated us on Spencer....

Spencer was at my home last night, he's very upbeat, not putting on extra weight, sticking to his therapy to a "T" and can't wait to get back on the field. He's a bright guy with his mind in the right place. He's gonna be a terror next year!

His rehab is at Reliant,,,he did get the well wishes that I think you guys sent to him, he did appreciate it,,,

You can believe him.....or not.....

Meloy
11-30-2006, 12:04 PM
And every other WR was rated above Colston for a reason too right ?

And Demeco has been the best rookie on defense this year, yet he lasted until the second rd...

That was for a reason too I suppose....Come on. Anyone can mention someone picked late or not @ all (see Dallas QB)that does better than others. Picking a BIG NEED position in first round offers a better % chance that he will be a starter for years. I hope Spencer & Winston are our starters for 15 years. I'm saying that we can't hope that happens. Select a LT in first and go from there. I'd rather have two great LT than none.

YoungTexanFan
11-30-2006, 04:30 PM
You should look up his post history....

This isn't the first time he's updated us on Spencer....

You can believe him.....or not.....

I didn't see a need to look up 3 posts. I was wrong and we are moving along. I jumped the gun, but I hope the poster below him is banned for a bit.

SLO Texan
11-30-2006, 10:10 PM
I didn't see a need to look up 3 posts. I was wrong and we are moving along. I jumped the gun, but I hope the poster below him is banned for a bit.

Well I did'nt get banned but they knocked off all my Rep points if that makes you feel better.

I should'nt have called you a D-bag, it was uncalled for and I apologize.

I just thought you were being rude to the guy.

I enjoy most of your posts and it won't happen again......PROMISE!!!:dangit:

Anyways....here's to the speedy recovery of our very promising LT!!

Kaiser Toro
11-30-2006, 10:20 PM

Appreciate the update. Please continue to keep us in the loop every once in a while. Looking forward to seeing the big man back on the field.

YoungTexanFan
11-30-2006, 10:35 PM
Well I did'nt get banned but they knocked off all my Rep points if that makes you feel better.

I should'nt have called you a D-bag, it was uncalled for and I apologize.

I just thought you were being rude to the guy.

I enjoy most of your posts and it won't happen again......PROMISE!!!:dangit:

Anyways....here's to the speedy recovery of our very promising LT!!

It's cool. We all blow up sometimes. Usually I read through my posts now before I click the button because I've made some posts I've had to edit before.

We're both mature men, and we can move past this with ease. I hope to see you stay active on the board.

SLO Texan
11-30-2006, 10:43 PM
It's cool. We all blow up sometimes. Usually I read through my posts now before I click the button because I've made some posts I've had to edit before.

We're both mature men, and we can move past this with ease. I hope to see you stay active on the board.

Glad to hear!!!

I felt stupid after writing it and was hoping it would get buried or something...here I go.:tearup:

I will definetly be sticking around and will keep it clean from here on out!!!

Thanks for not banning me MODs!!!

GO C.SPENCER And GO TEXANS!!!!

YoungTexanFan
11-30-2006, 10:49 PM
Glad to hear!!!

I felt stupid after writing it and was hoping it would get buried or something...here I go.:tearup:

I will definetly be sticking around and will keep it clean from here on out!!!

Thanks for not banning me MODs!!!

GO C.SPENCER And GO TEXANS!!!!

I had an experience like this a few years ago where I said something stupid. I was banned for a day and had my post history erased and all that jazz, but Vinny gave me another chance which is why I didn't want you banned for more than a day if at all. All is well now.

SAMURAITEXAN
11-30-2006, 11:11 PM
Spencer's injury really concerns me specially after Kubiak's comments on him. Even he returns, It looks like Spencer may not be back 100% health wise. Is it time for us to look for another T in 2007draft? Just when we drafted promising LT this XXXX happens.

GO TEXANS!!

SLO Texan
11-30-2006, 11:27 PM
Spencer's injury really concerns me specially after Kubiak's comments on him. Even he returns, It looks like Spencer may not be back 100% health wise. Is it time for us to look for another T in 2007draft? Just when we drafted promising LT this XXXX happens.

GO TEXANS!!

Seriosly!!! like someone posted earlier I believe tha LT position is hereby cursed for the Texans.

First we had all that BS go down with Bosselli that ruined our OL for the first two years.

Then there was two years of just horrible coaching and complete disregard to the fact that we needed to draft OL or get a good FA LT.

Then this year we get what looks to be our future LT in the 3rd round and he gets his leg broken by Dayne I can Break Legs but not Tackles.( That was better)

Anyways I raelly hope we go for one of the top guys in this draft or get someone in FA to start at LT for a long time. Start Spencer at guard or RT and move Winston inside next season.:twocents:

Here's to breaking the cusre!!!:mario3:

SAMURAITEXAN
12-01-2006, 07:05 PM
Seriosly!!! like someone posted earlier I believe tha LT position is hereby cursed for the Texans.

First we had all that BS go down with Bosselli that ruined our OL for the first two years.

Then there was two years of just horrible coaching and complete disregard to the fact that we needed to draft OL or get a good FA LT.

Then this year we get what looks to be our future LT in the 3rd round and he gets his leg broken by Dayne I can Break Legs but not Tackles.( That was better)

Anyways I raelly hope we go for one of the top guys in this draft or get someone in FA to start at LT for a long time. Start Spencer at guard or RT and move Winston inside next season.:twocents:

Here's to breaking the cusre!!!:mario3:

I don't think it's curse but it is a tough loss for us. It's like we keep filling the OL needs every year but, someone somehow goes down and we are back to where we started from( Taking one step forward and taking one step backward). It is very frustrating. I am getting a point that need to scream ready loud to let it all out. I know this is NFL and things happen. I hope we will be able to solve OL problem soon and built strong OL foundation which Capers weren't able to do. Good news about OL is that we now have Kubiak and brought Sherman to help built OL and they should be able to fix this in a few years IMO. Bad news is Sherman won't be here next year(Please stay here for one more!).

GO TEXANS!!

nunusguy
12-01-2006, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the report !
Any news you have on Big Spence, we want to hear about it because we are pulling for him 110 %.
Please give him our best and tell him he's in our thoughts.

threetoedpete
12-01-2006, 08:25 PM

Link please.

The coach said just last monday the injury was "severe". And I believe the term " may be career threating ". Posted tuesday, look it up for yourselves. . Now I've only known Kubiack and how he thinks for seven months. But anytime a coach speaks "coach speak" like this, he's letting the hoards know, with out letting them know. We don't know for sure when Charles Spencer will be able to lace up the cleats to run, much less when he'll be able to strap on the pads. I like Landry. If he didn't get banged up so much, All day has the size and ablity of the Running back i covet, but....you can't go into '07 as the swing tackle as your starter...and no capable back up. Just no frickin way. They're going to have to plug that hole in the bucket. And to Answer you Tx, who was the last third round OLT to make the NFLs all pro team ? It was shear chance they hit on Spencer. My jury is still out on Erik. For every Colston there' a hundred Leche Caldwell's. The point being the higher they are the less probablity they will bust. You catch a starter past the third round, give the scouts a bump, they've earned it. As far as free agent tackles go....when in five years have we even sniffed a good one ? Now you're going to plug your line with one of those guys...Tucker, Wade...Bosselli. Mind Boggeling.

Scooter
12-02-2006, 12:26 AM
We can draft a quality LT in later rounds, we did that with the two we got in 3rd last year. Ferguson was rated above the two we got for a reason.

this statement is wholly false. i dont care to look it up (again), but the majority of starting left tackles in the NFL are first round picks. yes, it's possible that we hit the jackpot again, but the chances of us landing a franchise left tackle after round two are extremely slim. we landed an absolute gem last year and spencer is the steal of the 06 draft. i right now after only 2 pro games would put spencer as a probable hall of famer (of course provided he stays healthy). he has an initial "punch" that rivals ogdon and on record by more than one coach as "the quickest hands i've ever seen" ... as a rookie. spencer is an oddity, not the standard. winston is a work in progress and will never see left tackle on any team.

CT CSTM if you really do know him ... for my sanity if nothing else, please keep us posted on spencer's progress. he's got a lot of fans, especially on this forum and we wish him nothing but the best.

whiskeyrbl
12-02-2006, 12:38 AM

Hey let him know we are all praying for him and we hope for a full recovery. We need him on this team. Tell him to stop by the MB and shoot the bull with us.

Runner
12-02-2006, 01:32 AM
i right now after only 2 pro games would put spencer as a probable hall of famer (of course provided he stays healthy).

Wow. I thought the crowd calling for his inclusion in the Pro Bowl this year after his first pre-season game (against second stringers) were extreme.

Scooter
12-02-2006, 02:22 AM
edit: nevermind.

painekiller
12-03-2006, 10:04 AM

Great news, He is ahead of where i thought he would be. If he is walking then that points to no/little soft tissue damage, another good sign. You also said in an earlier post that his weight is still at 325, do you see much atrophy in his broken leg? This is usually a big factor to over come.

Let Spencer know we are all pulling for him. Also an easy way to shut some of these guys up is to get a photo of you and Spencer together for your avatar, just a thought.

TexanBorn51
12-03-2006, 10:46 AM
That's great news for Spencer and have a great recovery as well as all the other injured players. Well I was one of the ones that predicted 10-6 before the season oh well wrong not the first time. Although I believe that without all these year ending injuries (maybe the most to any team this year) then you add the first time coaches, players, etc I think the record would have been better. During the season the Texans had to keep rearranging because of the unexpected injuries. Some of the loss Texan games were decided by a few plays. All in all with everything that has been challenged to them they have improved and that's what was wanted right. This year these Texans are basically a whole new half team. Next year with all this under their belt then add this year's experience a few more drafts, FA, and trades we will probably finally see the winning potential that lies within. I'm a longtime fan speaking with patience that has been watching and waiting since the Oilers in the 60's to bring home a winner. The Texans are like a breath away from becoming a solid, consistent, confident, challenging, and winning team that will be a champion in the near future very soon.

htownfoozball
12-21-2006, 03:33 PM
on pace to play next year? career done?

kingh99
12-21-2006, 03:39 PM
Appreciate the update. Please continue to keep us in the loop every once in a while. Looking forward to seeing the big man back on the field.

my favorite draft pick. It's just a darn shame about the injury.

Meloy
12-21-2006, 05:08 PM
this statement is wholly false. i dont care to look it up (again), but the majority of starting left tackles in the NFL are first round picks. yes, it's possible that we hit the jackpot again, but the chances of us landing a franchise left tackle after round two are extremely slim. we landed an absolute gem last year and spencer is the steal of the 06 draft. i right now after only 2 pro games would put spencer as a probable hall of famer (of course provided he stays healthy). he has an initial "punch" that rivals ogdon and on record by more than one coach as "the quickest hands i've ever seen" ... as a rookie. spencer is an oddity, not the standard. winston is a work in progress and will never see left tackle on any team.

CT CSTM if you really do know him ... for my sanity if nothing else, please keep us posted on spencer's progress. he's got a lot of fans, especially on this forum and we wish him nothing but the best.Sorry for delay in response, just happened to look again at thread. First go back and read the post you quoted. I posted a response to xtruroyaltyx who asked "Why can't we draft a quality left tackle in 2nd or 3rd? Why does it have to be the first round". I replied to his question saying not only can we, but we did in 3rd with Spencer & Winston. As both started this year, I think they are quality. However, the rest of my post said there was a reason that (d'brickshaw)Ferguson was rated higher than the 2 we got. My point was that better quality players are selected in first round with less risk. My posts prior to the one you quoted, definitely state my opinon that our first round should be left tackle Thomas. I am very unclear from this thread exactly how Spencer is doing. Seems like his health ranges from starting LT with Hall of Fame right around the corner to he might never play again. Now that's a spread! If we know by draft that CS will start at LT we should go for RB AP if avail.

shinerbock_girl
12-21-2006, 08:31 PM

Power of the Mind man...He'll bounce back...Young, strong and the will to fight...I'm trying to think positive here...Help me out....

threetoedpete
12-26-2006, 10:27 PM
Ok...

Here ya go Einstiens.

With the link.
http://www.gbnreport.com/probowl.htm

"And if recent Pro Bowl teams are any indication, teams looking for a quality OT in the near future shouldn't wait much past the first round to grab one. This year, for example, all 6 Pro Bowl OTs were first round selections, a trend that has persisted in recent years. On the other hand, OG and C look more like the lunch-bucket type positions they are with just 3 Pro Bowlers coming to the league as first-round picks. "

TexansFanatic
12-26-2006, 10:37 PM
Here ya go Einstien.

With the link.

"And if recent Pro Bowl teams are any indication, teams looking for a quality OT in the near future shouldn't wait much past the first round to grab one. This year, for example, all 6 Pro Bowl OTs were first round selections, a trend that has persisted in recent years. On the other hand, OG and C look more like the lunch-bucket type positions they are with just 3 Pro Bowlers coming to the league as first-round picks. "

OK, point well made. Pro Bowl tackles are usually, if not always, first rounders.

But I couldn't care less if my team has either or both tackles in the Pro Bowl. What I want is my team in the Super Bowl, preferably winning it.

So, the question becomes: How many of the past/recent Super Bowl winning teams had either left or right tackle drafted in the first round? Second round? Third round?

TexansFanatic
12-26-2006, 10:51 PM
With just a little searching, so far I've found that the past three Super Bowl winners----the Steelers, and the Patriots twice before them---have left tackles who were drafted in the second round.

Texian
12-26-2006, 11:14 PM
Lotta people pumping D'Brick. Anybody watch the game last night? D'Brick got schooled a few times by Taylor. Taylor got a sack on D and Pennington got cremed.

skillz24
12-26-2006, 11:17 PM
Kubiak said his injury was tremendous and there is concern to whether or not he will be able to return to the game and "be able" to be as effective as before...ie we are screwed.

skillz24
12-26-2006, 11:18 PM
With just a little searching, so far I've found that the past three Super Bowl winners----the Steelers, and the Patriots twice before them---have left tackles who were drafted in the second round.

they also draft their line players never sign them in free agency...something we need to continue moving away from.

threetoedpete
12-27-2006, 01:09 AM
OK, point well made. Pro Bowl tackles are usually, if not always, first rounders.

But I couldn't care less if my team has either or both tackles in the Pro Bowl. What I want is my team in the Super Bowl, preferably winning it.

So, the question becomes: How many of the past/recent Super Bowl winning teams had either left or right tackle drafted in the first round? Second round? Third round?

Well I know Fanaca was a first round selection. And I've already done one chart. But Hitting on Spencer was an anomoly not the norm . We're not going anywhere near the play offs much less the SB untill one of the two lines gets fixed. Also, My question to your question is which one of those teams gave up 268 sacks and counting over five years ? None ? We ain't getting to the super bowl when our QB, whoever it is, is merely the team's judas goat. I.E. a pinata. I don't want superman...I just want a worthy OLT prospect behind Spencer...Just in case. Those guys don't live in the day two rounds.
As in my previos chart, the further you go down in the draft to get one of those guys, the bust potental expands expodentailly.

threetoedpete
12-27-2006, 01:16 AM
Lotta people pumping D'Brick. Anybody watch the game last night? D'Brick got schooled a few times by Taylor. Taylor got a sack on D and Pennington got cremed.

I watched a very young OLT prospect go toe to toe with a grizzled veteran who may be one of the top DEs of his generation. I can give a kid a few times. The big question is which of the two would want on your mind tonight ?Who would you rather be worring over for '07 : The guy getting beat occasionally by the all pro...or the guy who right now is "running light" on the recovering bad broken leg? From my tree I see one QB getting some love. And one who is the throw away.

brewhaus
12-27-2006, 08:12 AM
Power of the Mind man...He'll bounce back...Young, strong and the will to fight...I'm trying to think positive here...Help me out....

I hope you're right gal !

real
12-27-2006, 08:17 AM
Here ya go Einstiens.

With the link.

Who cares about one pro-bowl tackle ?

The line is made up of 5 players....

Look at the most recent superbowl winners and tell me when their lineman were drafted....

SESupergenius
12-27-2006, 11:01 AM

Look at the most recent superbowl winners and tell me when their lineman were drafted....Once again you prove you that you really have no substance and your thoughts are nothing more than blabber.

Here are the Super Bowl lines from the most recent game between the Steelers and Seahawks, both teams had at least 2 1st round lineman:

Seahawks
Jones, Walter LT 1st round (6th pick) by the Seattle Seahawks
Hutchinson, Steve LG 1st round (17th pick) by the Seattle Seahawks
Tobeck, Robbie C FA
Gray, Chris RG 5th round (20th pick) by the Miami Dolphins
Locklear, Sean RT 3rd round (21st pick) by the Seattle Seahawks

Steelers
Smith, Marvel LT 2nd round (7th pick) by the Pittsburgh Steelers
Faneca, Alan LG 1st round (26th pick) by the Pittsburgh Steelers
Hartings, Jeff C 1st round (23rd pick) by the Detroit Lions
Simmons, Kendall RG 1st round (30th pick) by the Pittsburgh Steelers
Starks, Max RT 3rd round (12th pick) by the Pittsburgh Steelers

Now compare that to the Texans, whom have never selected a 1st rounder:

Ephraim Salaam LT 7th round (10th pick) by the Atlanta Falcons
Chester Pitts LG 2nd round (18th pick) by the Houston Texans
Drew Hodgdon C 5th round (15th pick) by the Houston Texans
Fred Weary RG 3rd round (1st pick) by the Houston Texans
Eric Winston RT 3rd round (2nd pick) by the Houston Texans

Got any clues?

real
12-27-2006, 11:34 AM
If you go back and read, you'll see the snipet was about offensive tackles....

Seahawks
Jones, Walter LT 1st round (6th pick) by the Seattle Seahawks

Locklear, Sean RT 3rd round (21st pick) by the Seattle Seahawks
Losers

Steelers
Smith, Marvel LT 2nd round (7th pick) by the Pittsburgh Steelers

Starks, Max RT 3rd round (12th pick) by the Pittsburgh Steelers

Winners

Though I would be happy at this point just to make it to the superbowl....I think I said :

Look at the most recent superbowl winners and tell me when their lineman were drafted....

I really don't care to argue with you though, because you tend to make it personal.....

SESupergenius
12-27-2006, 11:46 AM
I really don't care to argue with you though, because you tend to make it personal.....
That's because you spew things that are baseless. You asked to be shown facts, you got them. No point in running away, they are what they are. The fact remains that both teams have more than 1 first rounder in their lineup and the Texans don't even have a single first rounder. Sorry you can't see the correlation, because you obviously are stuck in your thinking that we don't even need a single 1st rounder in the lineup to make a difference. It's all Carrs fault anyways.

real
12-27-2006, 11:47 AM
It's all Carrs fault anyways.

:ok: ....exactly