PDA

View Full Version : Stopping Vince Young

OrangeCountyTexansFan
11-28-2006, 11:18 AM
Drastic times call for drastic measures, so I think we need to lay it all on the line when the Titans come into town.
We have to stop VY's explosiveness in the backfield. I'm no coach and will be the first to tell anyone this, but I think there is a simple solution for dealing with mobile QBs such as Vince.
Bring in one of the safetys on a pass rush every time the Titans snap the ball. Make him get rid of it quick. If he starts to run, you already have someone in his face to at least slow him down. If we can get in his head early that we are on to him, we will win the game.
Football is won mentally as well as physically, right?
If we had done this against the Bills we would have won that game. We are giving opposing QBs way too much time in the pocket.
Well, that is my two cents. Feel free to agree or flame away!!!
:texan:

HOU-TEX
11-28-2006, 11:23 AM
Drastic times call for drastic measures, so I think we need to lay it all on the line when the Titans come into town.
We have to stop VY's explosiveness in the backfield. I'm no coach and will be the first to tell anyone this, but I think there is a simple solution for dealing with mobile QBs such as Vince.
Bring in one of the safetys on a pass rush every time the Titans snap the ball. Make him get rid of it quick. If he starts to run, you already have someone in his face to at least slow him down. If we can get in his head early that we are on to him, we will win the game.
If we had done this against the Bills we would have won that game. We are giving opposing QBs way too much time in the pocket.
:texan:

Our DBs can't cover as it is, and you want to bring them on a blitz? I can see a LB blitz every once in a while, but we need all the help we can get in the secondary.:twocents:

texflex513
11-28-2006, 11:30 AM
:texan: If we key too much on vince the run game will be our downfall henry will run all over us. I think our chances are better letting vince sit in the pocket and throw rather than blitz him and force him to run.

TheCD
11-28-2006, 11:39 AM
I'm not that worried about Vince...he's getting hot, yes. But I also recall in the last game we played them, he took off from the pocket and was chased down from behind...by Mario :fireball:

SESupergenius
11-28-2006, 12:05 PM
2 back to back wins against NFC East teams is huge for that team. I'd love to see the Texans just smack them around. In case you Young lovers didn't know this, but Vince Young is our enemy now, act like it. the honeymoon of the Longhorns game in way over by now. You're not going to get Vince Young in a Texans uniform. You are not going to gain anything by wishing Carr to suck badly while secretly hoping Vince Young bolts a long one on the Texans for a 40 yard scamper and a TD. If that is how you feel, please don your old Oiler jerseys and head on over to http://www.titansonline.com/ and pour your heart out with man love for him.

for the rest of us, let's turn it on when it comes time to plant VY in the dirt when he needs to scramble.

TexansLucky13
11-28-2006, 12:06 PM
How about lets worry about the Raiders first.

OzzO
11-28-2006, 12:12 PM
Don't have 3 turnovers and the rest should take care of itself vs. the Titans. Agree with above though, let's take care of the Raiders first and not have another "pro-bowl performance" by the opposing QB.

Titan "Tack" Fan
11-28-2006, 12:25 PM
A blitzing safety won't stop Vince's scrambling abilities.

Bongo59
11-28-2006, 12:41 PM
I am an old Oiler fan and now a Titan fan..............but I still pull for the newbie Texans................I think there is a lot of closet Titan fans in houston who wont admit they still follow the Titans because of Bud..............and now with VY it makes it harder to hide.

run-david-run
11-28-2006, 01:01 PM
How about we just do what we did last time minus the turnovers and punt returns? 80 passing yards for VY, 25 rushing for Henry...looks good to me.

El Tejano
11-28-2006, 01:03 PM
How about we try to stop Aaron Brooks who has looked real bad this season, got injured but will nothing short of Awesome against us.

Hervoyel
11-28-2006, 01:46 PM
Stopping Vince Young will be no trouble at all for the Texans defense this week and I predict that Mighty Vince will be unable to hurt us in any way.

Mostly because we play the Raiders and not the Titans.

I'll worry about Vince Young when that game gets here. We'll be lucky to get by Oakland on Sunday so no sense borrowing trouble before it gets here.

bigTEXan8
11-28-2006, 01:58 PM
don't blitz vince young, same reason you don't blitz vick. you blitz, you leave less people to cover beyond the los, and you allow young to get that easy first down. just rush the 4 d-lineman, the occasional lb, and make young beat the texans with his arm, which i personally don't think he can do.

rmartin65
11-28-2006, 02:17 PM
Put an athletic spy on him.

OrangeCountyTexansFan
11-28-2006, 02:50 PM
Stopping Vince Young will be no trouble at all for the Texans defense this week and I predict that Mighty Vince will be unable to hurt us in any way.

Mostly because we play the Raiders and not the Titans.
Oh, I know. I just think that this is the matchup that the media is going to hype on all over again, since VY will be coming home.
If we don't shut him down, the media and band-wagon fans are going to have a field day...

HRMSpencer
11-28-2006, 02:53 PM
Cut his Achilles Tendon. He'll never have a backswing again.

Hervoyel
11-28-2006, 03:14 PM
Oh, I know. I just think that this is the matchup that the media is going to hype on all over again, since VY will be coming home.
If we don't shut him down, the media and band-wagon fans are going to have a field day...

And you're right of course. I was just kidding about that stuff and I'm already dreading the hype of that game. I'd hope that whatever it is about the Jaguars that makes the Texans "nut-up" will also kick in when Vince comes to town and gets ready to humiliate them in their own house.

JDizzle
11-28-2006, 03:55 PM
I would say that if you have him wrapped up for a sack on 4th & a mile, finish the tackle. And don't tackle him out of bounds. These are a couple good places to start.

The Dream
11-28-2006, 04:01 PM
lol @ us already making game plans for Vince 2 weeks in advance, when most people on here didn't think he'd be ready to start in the NFL his rookie season.

SESupergenius
11-28-2006, 04:06 PM
lol @ us already making game plans for Vince 2 weeks in advance, when most people on here didn't think he'd be ready to start in the NFL his rookie season.
Their running game has taken the pressure off rookie quarterback Vince Young, who is 3-2 over his last five starts.

"Any time you bring a young quarterback along, you have to start with the running game because that gives your quarterback a chance to do things in the passing game," coach Jeff Fisher said.
--------------------------------

Texans never had a running game like that nor a defense.

Hervoyel
11-28-2006, 04:15 PM
Their running game has taken the pressure off rookie quarterback Vince Young, who is 3-2 over his last five starts.

"Any time you bring a young quarterback along, you have to start with the running game because that gives your quarterback a chance to do things in the passing game," coach Jeff Fisher said.

We started with a running game of rookie Jonathan Wells and James Allen. Together they combined to almost equal one Domanick Davis.

The Dream
11-28-2006, 04:24 PM

Yes Vince has had help I'm NOT denying that, but soem of you people need to admit that you were wrong when saying that VY wouldn't be ready to start by his 1st season...he's proven you wrong.

Double Barrel
11-28-2006, 04:28 PM
With the way we're playing right now and the way the Titans are playing with VY starting, they're going to have us for lunch...and half of Reliant will be happily cheering them on....unfortunately.

I agree that we need take one game at a time...but honestly, at this point, we might as well speculate the rest of the season away. We aren't going anywhere.

bah007
11-28-2006, 04:59 PM

I guess the running game helped him a whole lot in the Giants game since he was the leading rusher.

SESupergenius
11-29-2006, 10:01 AM
I guess the running game helped him a whole lot in the Giants game since he was the leading rusher.No, but Kiwanuka did as well as Mannings interception and the 4th down penalty. But even still that was a great comeback, no denying that. It's rare you see a 10 minute 24 scoring episode to win a game.

Let's see what he does against the Colts this week.

bah007
11-29-2006, 10:09 AM
No, but Kiwanuka did as well as Mannings interception and the 4th down penalty. But even still that was a great comeback, no denying that. It's rare you see a 10 minute 24 scoring episode to win a game.

Let's see what he does against the Colts this week.

I agree with that but I hate to see Kiwanuka get the blame.

Earlier in the season the kid got a roughing the passer penalty for pushing the QB to the ground in the exact same situation.

He was just trying to help his team by not getting a penalty on a 4th down play.

Did you see the roughing the passer penalty they called on the Packers' Cullen Jenkins?

That penalty is almost as pathetic as pass interference now. At least they're trying to protect somebody with that penalty, all pass interference does now is protect offenses from not putting points on the board.

I would rather see a 10-7 defensive battle than a 41-35 game with 10 stupid penalties that make you think that the players dont even need to wear pads on the field anymore. WWE is allowed to have more contact than the NFL & that junk is fake.

TNTitan
11-29-2006, 10:59 AM
this is very entertaining :shoot:

Wordem
11-29-2006, 11:17 AM

Actually, he's 4-2 over his last six.

Hookem Horns
12-01-2006, 12:31 PM
I agree with that but I hate to see Kiwanuka get the blame.

Earlier in the season the kid got a roughing the passer penalty for pushing the QB to the ground in the exact same situation.

That QB was David Carr. I too feel bad for Kiwi.

Double Barrel
12-01-2006, 12:35 PM
I would say 3/4 of Reliant will be cheering Vince Young,

if that happens :bomb:

srstex
12-01-2006, 12:39 PM
VY went to a team with good-sound caching, Carr can't say the same. I was an Oiler fan as well but when McNair left so did tmy last strand of allegence to the Titans. The Raiders for this week have a D that has been lights out the last three games, and that spells trouble for an offense that can't run, throw the long pass, or score with any regularity. Kubiak saying 2 - 3 more drafts like this past year are needed to be a good team shows how bad a coach he really is. A lot better coaches have done far more with far less than Kubiak, all you have to do is look at the Saints, they won 1 more game then us last year, now there in a playoff hunt. The Jets cut loose with John Abrahms their best pass rusher, new left tackle, D'Brickashaw Ferguson,new head coach, and a QB with argueably the worst arm in the NFL, and their looking at the playoffs also. I have never wanted to see a coach go after just 11 games, but, there is always a first time for everything.

Charter PSL Fan
12-01-2006, 12:49 PM
With the way we're playing right now and the way the Titans are playing with VY starting, they're going to have us for lunch...and half of Reliant will be happily cheering them on..

Because the VY fans don't have anything else to cheer for. hehe other than a minor bowl game. GO OU! GO TEXANS!

FanFromCali
12-01-2006, 08:06 PM
I would love the Texans to stomp Vince Young into the ground. The Titans are garbage, he is garbage, and the Texans should dominate. This is one of the few games where I an a totally biased fan.

Enough of welcoming these other fans with "visiting" threads. Where is our backbone? I don't care what our record is, we need to get cocky. Don't agree? Go be a prissy fan of some other team, we don't need you. We as fans need to take a stand. There is no way Vince Young should be cheered by a Texan fan. I don't care what he did in college, as it means nothing now. They are the enemy and thus not worthy of our respect, especially the Titans. I want the Texans to humiliate Vince Young in half and prove that they have the better team and Vince Young is a WR in waiting.

opus74
12-02-2006, 12:51 AM
I would love the Texans to stomp Vince Young into the ground. The Titans are garbage, he is garbage, and the Texans should dominate. This is one of the few games where I an a totally biased fan.

Enough of welcoming these other fans with "visiting" threads. Where is our backbone? I don't care what our record is, we need to get cocky. Don't agree? Go be a prissy fan of some other team, we don't need you. We as fans need to take a stand. There is no way Vince Young should be cheered by a Texan fan. I don't care what he did in college, as it means nothing now. They are the enemy and thus not worthy of our respect, especially the Titans. I want the Texans to humiliate Vince Young in half and prove that they have the better team and Vince Young is a WR in waiting.
lol:
Put the crack pipe down and step away from the keyboard.

Scooter
12-02-2006, 02:08 AM
keys to stopping vince young. lets think on this for a minute....

seeing as we beat the snot out of the titans last time we played, lets try doing that again. only this time, lets see if we can eliminate the 5 turnovers. something resembling pass protection and fewer than 3 fumbles and we win our previous game by 20+ points .... i'm not in the least bit worried about playing the titans. lets focus on beating the raiders defense first.

FanFromCali
12-02-2006, 06:29 AM
lol:
Put the crack pipe down and step away from the keyboard.

Lol...even though that was against me it made me laugh.

I love games like this that are obviously going to be spirited. And no, I don't mind looking past the Raiders because as far as I know Kubiak hasnít told me I need to suit up this week (especially since the Broncos haven't released me.) When your fan, the rules are different.

I can't wait for the Titans game where they will be riding (please God) a one-game winning streak.

DeclanJr
12-02-2006, 08:03 AM
What about the 49'ers who we played in the "Bush bowl" last year? They are in the playoff hunt too.

Wolf
12-02-2006, 09:22 AM
and those teams hadn't had to replace 4/5ths of the line either (pitts is the only one left from the beginning of the season)

no to make excuses but our injuries are just mindboggling

abbest
12-03-2006, 04:13 PM

Do realize Vince Young has done what David Carr failed to do in five years. Vince beat the Colts. Not bad for a QB who many said wasn`t NFL ready.

BetOnVYinCantonEasy
12-03-2006, 05:42 PM
Some irrational VY hater suggested that VY is having sucess because of the running game emerging for the Titans.

Yes, well, you have it entirely backwards. Because VY is both a threat to run and pass, defenses have no choice but to spy on him more than normal, opening up additional running lanes, and making the entire running game better. That, of course forces more pressure to stop the run, which opens up passing routes. VY is not the beneficiary of the running game nearly so much as he is the benefactor that creates the running game from which the entire offense gains the spoils. He gives to his team which in turns gives back to him. Don't believe me, believe the players on the opposing teams that he faces who have said this. Anyone who is a diehard Hornsfan watched VY's progression from a run first, short pass QB who did not read his progressions well to a pass first run second Qb who read his progressions very well and finally to a freakishly skilled passer/runner who had such a innate understanding of his offense and amazing poise that that such an overpowering synergized offensive attack has not been matched in NCAA Div. 1 football ever...and likely will not. This happened over three years, but on top of all this-maybe bigger and beyond all of this- he hardly ever lost because of his superhuman will to win and his virtuosity of his leadership abilities. All boats rise on VY's tide, all players' production gets closer to their maximum potential than they ever would if he weren't their leader. Pro veterans, in a highly egotistical NFL, claimed their respect and willingness to follow him in the PRESEASON OF HIS ROOKIE YEAR! You are seeing the results. And the best part-he is maturing leaps and bounds faster in the NFL game than he did in the NCAA game. What took him three years there appears possibly to require a year to year and a half tops in the NFL. Try to remember how badly the Titans were ranked offensively and defensively in the preseason. Heck, remember how bad they looked in the first four games. The Titans are four points in two games away from being a legitimate playoff contender even though VY didn't start until after they were 0-3. Both the defense and offense feed of his will, and they are starting to step up in the clutch with consistency, a thing that became a sure expectation in the VY years at UT. If they run the table the rest of the way, they still have an outside shot to make the playoffs this year. And I say its a coin flip as to whether they do run the table....they sure aren't losing next week. And this is the youngest team in the NFL. They are only going to get better.

Now, as far as the discussion by some foolish sports analysts, some overly concussed ex-players (Hodge), and numerous fans that VY is another Michael Vick or unworthy to be a QB at all, well, that is ludicrous. The only way they compare is that VY is a great running QB like Vick. Comparison stops there. Already in his first nine games, just nine games, if you watch him play, you can see that he is reading his NFL progressions better than Vick, thus making him already a pass first, run second QB, and that is what is opening up the running lanes for his running backs and the passing lanes for his receivers and tight ends (and by the way, just think what VY would already be doing if he had a top-flight veteran receiver or a top-flight running back.) By next year, he will be having numerous 200yd plus receiving games even with the receivers he has. If you really consider what you are seeing if you watch him play, the valid comparisons are as follows: he runs like Vick, he brings his team back like Elway, and he leads like Farve. Dang! Can you imagine a QB that can do all three of those things as well as they do rapped up into one? You can forget imagining and start watching it live on Sundays for years, and Super Bowls, to come. And barring an unfortunate injury, when its all said and done, you won't even think of comparing him to any of those QBs, or any at all, again.

Titan "Tack" Fan
12-03-2006, 05:57 PM
/\ This guy couldn't be more correct. The defensive ends and OLB must repsect VY's scrambling ability. So it opens up the run on the inside.

Bongo59
12-03-2006, 06:02 PM
Dont worry for the non believers they will see Mr Young live in his hometown in a few short days.................. We'll see how bad he sucks.

TNTitan
12-03-2006, 06:31 PM
Some irrational VY hater suggested that VY is having sucess because of the running game emerging for the Titans.

Yes, well, you have it entirely backwards. Because VY is both a threat to run and pass, defenses have no choice but to spy on him more than normal, opening up additional running lanes, and making the entire running game better. That, of course forces more pressure to stop the run, which opens up passing routes. VY is not the beneficiary of the running game nearly so much as he is the benefactor that creates the running game from which the entire offense gains the spoils. He gives to his team which in turns gives back to him. Don't believe me, believe the players on the opposing teams that he faces who have said this. Anyone who is a diehard Hornsfan watched VY's progression from a run first, short pass QB who did not read his progressions well to a pass first run second Qb who read his progressions very well and finally to a freakishly skilled passer/runner who had such a innate understanding of his offense and amazing poise that that such an overpowering synergized offensive attack has not been matched in NCAA Div. 1 football ever...and likely will not. This happened over three years, but on top of all this-maybe bigger and beyond all of this- he hardly ever lost because of his superhuman will to win and his virtuosity of his leadership abilities. All boats rise on VY's tide, all players' production gets closer to their maximum potential than they ever would if he weren't their leader. Pro veterans, in a highly egotistical NFL, claimed their respect and willingness to follow him in the PRESEASON OF HIS ROOKIE YEAR! You are seeing the results. And the best part-he is maturing leaps and bounds faster in the NFL game than he did in the NCAA game. What took him three years there appears possibly to require a year to year and a half tops in the NFL. Try to remember how badly the Titans were ranked offensively and defensively in the preseason. Heck, remember how bad they looked in the first four games. The Titans are four points in two games away from being a legitimate playoff contender even though VY didn't start until after they were 0-3. Both the defense and offense feed of his will, and they are starting to step up in the clutch with consistency, a thing that became a sure expectation in the VY years at UT. If they run the table the rest of the way, they still have an outside shot to make the playoffs this year. And I say its a coin flip as to whether they do run the table....they sure aren't losing next week. And this is the youngest team in the NFL. They are only going to get better.

Now, as far as the discussion by some foolish sports analysts, some overly concussed ex-players (Hodge), and numerous fans that VY is another Michael Vick or unworthy to be a QB at all, well, that is ludicrous. The only way they compare is that VY is a great running QB like Vick. Comparison stops there. Already in his first nine games, just nine games, if you watch him play, you can see that he is reading his NFL progressions better than Vick, thus making him already a pass first, run second QB, and that is what is opening up the running lanes for his running backs and the passing lanes for his receivers and tight ends (and by the way, just think what VY would already be doing if he had a top-flight veteran receiver or a top-flight running back.) By next year, he will be having numerous 200yd plus receiving games even with the receivers he has. If you really consider what you are seeing if you watch him play, the valid comparisons are as follows: he runs like Vick, he brings his team back like Elway, and he leads like Farve. Dang! Can you imagine a QB that can do all three of those things as well as they do rapped up into one? You can forget imagining and start watching it live on Sundays for years, and Super Bowls, to come. And barring an unfortunate injury, when its all said and done, you won't even think of comparing him to any of those QBs, or any at all, again.

cliff noteS?

BetOnVYinCantonEasy
12-03-2006, 06:42 PM
cliff noteS?

To paraphrase VY:superman: after the Rose Bowl: :yahoo:
SB trophies will be coming home to Nashville... all the way to Nashville, TN, baby.:dance2:

BetOnVYinCantonEasy
12-03-2006, 07:02 PM
/\ This guy couldn't be more correct. The defensive ends and OLB must repsect VY's scrambling ability. So it opens up the run on the inside.

Yep. And because VY seems to innately know when to commit to a possible running lane available to him and when to scramble, head up looking for any receivers to come open on a broken pass play, the secondary cannot cheat on their coverage routes and break back to VY, simply expecting him to abandon the pass and try to make something happen with his feet. This in turn allows VY to spread the defensive coverage at the line and put the freak on individuals should no receiver come open.

Titan "Tack" Fan
12-03-2006, 07:14 PM
There is no way we can stop VY, we can try to limit how much he will hurt us, but there is no way to stop him. What will be fun to see is Kubiak stomach watching Carr turning the ball over every down. But hey, if the Titans get up buy 28 we might get to see Carr throw a TD pass in the last 4 min of the 4th quarter.

Hahahahah. Hilarious. Positive Rep coming your way.