PDA

View Full Version : Carr in Pro Bowl???

pittbull
11-28-2006, 10:23 AM
It may be strange to talk about or even mention, but based upon David Carr's stats at the present time in the AFC, he is the 6th best quarterback. Many times, players don't play in the pro bowl due to injury, fatigue, or just tired of going to Hawaii. Carr could move into a roster spot. This is not that far of a stretch if Carr plays better the rest of the way out. Does he deserve it? Well, that's another question with a different answer, that each person has to weigh. For the Carr haters, we know the answer, for the Carr supporters, let's be realistic......the answer is still no. But the results still show that David is making tremendous progress in the new offense, as evident of the team being much more competitive through the passing game in recent years. None of us can blame the dismal running attack on Carr, as all he does is hand off and watch our rookie RB make the best of a bad line situation, or are the haters going to say he affects that too? Truly, if you look at Denver's QB play over the past few years, an offense completely different than when John Elway ran it, the stats are similar. So then ask the REAL QUESTION, is it Carr, Jake Plummer, or a busted offensive scheme that does not produce positive play for the QB? Time will tell. If Carr gets better and Cutler lights it up, it not the offense, but if none do well in this scheme, rack it and start over with a new offenseive gameplan!:mario2: :mario2:

real
11-28-2006, 10:29 AM
It may be strange to talk about or even mention, but based upon David Carr's stats at the present time in the AFC, he is the 6th best quarterback. Many times, players don't play in the pro bowl due to injury, fatigue, or just tired of going to Hawaii. Carr could move into a roster spot. This is not that far of a stretch if Carr plays better the rest of the way out. Does he deserve it? Well, that's another question with a different answer, that each person has to weigh. For the Carr haters, we know the answer, for the Carr supporters, let's be realistic......the answer is still no. But the results still show that David is making tremendous progress in the new offense, as evident of the team being much more competitive through the passing game in recent years. None of us can blame the dismal running attack on Carr, as all he does is hand off and watch our rookie RB make the best of a bad line situation, or are the haters going to say he affects that too? Truly, if you look at Denver's QB play over the past few years, an offense completely different than when John Elway ran it, the stats are similar. So then ask the REAL QUESTION, is it Carr, Jake Plummer, or a busted offensive scheme that does not produce positive play for the QB? Time will tell. If Carr gets better and Cutler lights it up, it not the offense, but if none do well in this scheme, rack it and start over with a new offenseive gameplan!:mario2: :mario2:

:crazy:

Carr Bombed
11-28-2006, 10:33 AM
Manning......lock
Brady......lock

Dark Horse, people's champ.......McNair

Now that the Texans are clearly out of it, I'm rooting for the Ravens from here on out. I dreamed of the day McNair didn't play for the Titan's so I could root for him again, came up a yard short, hope he reaches the promised land.

Media Hype Palmer, alternate, Rivers.

Don't think Carr's going to be there.

HOU-TEX
11-28-2006, 10:34 AM
No offense to the poster, but I almost threw up in my mouth when I read the thread title.:thud:

hobie
11-28-2006, 11:24 AM
I hope that was said for a laugh, as we all need one around here.....

Second Honeymoon
11-28-2006, 11:29 AM
you gotta be kidding me.....

well I guess these are the same fans who championed Bagwell for over a decade even though the guy was a huge chokejob waiting to happen...

I guess im not surprised.....

DomDavis
11-28-2006, 11:37 AM
Umm, I really hope you're not trying to compare David Carr with Jeff Bagwell. I'm actually a Carr fan, but you're comparing one of the greatest first basemen in the history of his sport with David Carr... try again.

kingh99
11-28-2006, 11:38 AM
Houston asks very little of it's pro athletes. They take our lead. Our lead is we really don't want to be ugly. It's not dignified. Either that or we are just another sun belt town of sports chumps ala Orlando or Tampa Bay. Because of the demographic trends, our owners can't lose whether they field a winner or not. If they can't lose and the media is composed of a bunch of transitory, skeered to get blackballed amateurs, what should we expect but chump athletes pulling mad jack and laughing all the way to the bank. This city is the reason this city's sports franchises mostly stink. We don't ask much of them, do we?

DomDavis
11-28-2006, 11:40 AM
How exactly has McGrady underachieved, other than getting hurt? It's not like he can control his back going out last season.

kingh99
11-28-2006, 11:45 AM
How exactly has McGrady underachieved, other than getting hurt? It's not like he can control his back going out last season.

His back? Has anyone given us a dead on assessment. I think it was psychosomatic or a manifestation of stress. He's not the least bit worried about walking on the team for a year? He had personal issues last year every bit as much as he had a bad back.

DomDavis
11-28-2006, 11:47 AM
His back? Has anyone given us a dead on assessment. I think it was psychosomatic or a manifestation of stress. He's not the least bit worried about walking on the team for a year? He had personal issues last year every bit as much as he had a bad back.

Even without those personal issues, he still wouldn't have played. The back injury kept him out.

kingh99
11-28-2006, 11:58 AM
Even without those personal issues, he still wouldn't have played. The back injury kept him out.

Uh huh.

joedinkle
11-28-2006, 12:51 PM
There is no way this is going to happen. That being said, it'd be interesting to see how Carr performs with pro-bowl recievers and o-line.

rmartin65
11-28-2006, 03:19 PM
Actually... Its not gonna happen. He has the 4th best passer rating in the AFC, not counting Huard. But he lacks the TD's and yards. Also the fan support.

Marcus
11-28-2006, 03:31 PM
Fan support doesn't mean jack when it comes to Pro Bowl selections.

mganz
11-28-2006, 03:52 PM
I'm a big Carr supporter, but come on. While his numbers look good (not counting TD and Ws), there only numbers. Carr is in no way, at this point in his career, a Pro Bowl QB.

pittbull
11-28-2006, 04:47 PM
I'm not saying Carr is a Pro Bowl QB yet, but based upon how the voting takes place and guys getting inked to play, much depends on injuries and if the player wants to play in the game. Manning and Brday are locks, but that
3rd spot is up for grabs. If Carr had posted better TD numbers, his name would be mentioned easily. Is he a Pro Bowl QB? Placed behind a better line and an adequate running game, anything could have happen this season. Just the mere fact that he has posted decent numbers, with a running game that needs the resurrection from Jesus, Carr has made much progress. It's really easy for defenses to play against the Texans, "They can't run, so let's drop back into zones, rush 3 against the worst offensive line in the league, and let them shot themselves in the foot!" Guess what, this has happen every week.

dbspi
11-28-2006, 06:09 PM
Carr's not a probowl material IMO. He is nothing more then an average Joe at best and I have my doubts on that as well.

Carr and Probowl don't go together and if it ever did then believe me we be much better ball club record wise then what we are at the moment. To me Carr is nothing more then an average game manager which is not bad to have but he is not some one who will take the team on his back and make plays. For Carr to be successful, he needs STUDS all around him.

hollywood_texan
11-28-2006, 06:45 PM
I'm not saying Carr is a Pro Bowl QB yet, but based upon how the voting takes place and guys getting inked to play, much depends on injuries and if the player wants to play in the game. Manning and Brday are locks, but that
3rd spot is up for grabs. If Carr had posted better TD numbers, his name would be mentioned easily. Is he a Pro Bowl QB? Placed behind a better line and an adequate running game, anything could have happen this season. Just the mere fact that he has posted decent numbers, with a running game that needs the resurrection from Jesus, Carr has made much progress. It's really easy for defenses to play against the Texans, "They can't run, so let's drop back into zones, rush 3 against the worst offensive line in the league, and let them shot themselves in the foot!" Guess what, this has happen every week.

When did a team rush just 3 guys against the Texans?

As for your rushing yards point, the Saints (ranking 28 in rushing yards in the NFL) have about the same yards as the Texans (ranking 27 in rushing yards in the NFL), but the Saints are #1 in passing yards while the Texans are #16. How can the Saints and Drew Brees pile up so many yards without a rushing attack?

Atlanta has the best rushing attack one of the worst passing games.

Here is a cross-reference by ranking between total offense, rushing, and passing yards. You will see there is not that much correlation between a good rushing game and a good passing game. If there is a correlation, I suspect it is deeper than just the stats themselve, it probably involves the players that are playing the game!

Here goes (Overall ranking === Team === Rushing Ranking === Passing Ranking):

1 === New Orleans === 28 === 1
2 === Philadelphia === 10 === 3
3 === Indianapolis === 14 === 2
4 === Dallas === 5 === 6
5 === San Diego === 2 === 13
6 === Pittsburgh === 17 === 4
7 === New England === 11 === 11
8 === Cincinnati === 20 === 5
9 === Atlanta === 1 === 31
10 === St. Louis === 25 === 8
11 === Green Bay === 23 === 9
12 === New York (N) === 7 === 18
13 === Chicago === 15 === 15
14 === Minnesota === 16 === 14
15 === Kansas City === 6 === 21
16 === Miami === 24 === 12
17 === Jacksonville === 3 === 24
18 === Detroit === 31 === 7
19 === Seattle === 13 === 20
20 === Houston === 27 === 16
21 === Washington === 12 === 23
22 === Denver === 8 === 26
23 === San Francisco === 4 === 27
24 === Carolina === 18 === 19
25 === Baltimore === 22 === 17
26 === Arizona === 32 === 10
27 === New York (A) === 19 === 22
28 === Tennessee === 9 === 28
29 === Buffalo === 26 === 30
30 === Tampa Bay === 29 === 29
31 === Cleveland === 30 === 25
32 === Oakland === 21 === 32

Here are the starters for the Saints:

J. Stinchcomb,*#78
J. Evans,*#73
J. Faine,*#52
J. Nesbit,*#67
J. Brown,*#70

Evans is even a rookie and several of these guys haven't even played a full season but have been the league a couple of years. Who even knows who these guys are? Yet, Brees can pile up the numbers with a no name offensive line and a poor rushing that is about the same as the Texans.

My point is, you are just making excuses. How can Drew Brees be one of the best passers in the league with what looks to be an average line, a subpar rushing attack, and be his first year at New Orleans learning a new system? It probably has nothing to do with Drew Bress?

There are guys in this league at QB that can produce more with less around them. Carr doesn't appear to be one of those guys.

Second Honeymoon
11-28-2006, 06:56 PM

As for your rushing yards point, the Saints (ranking 28 in rushing yards in the NFL) have about the same yards as the Texans (ranking 27 in rushing yards in the NFL), but the Saints are #1 in passing yards while the Texans are #16. How can the Saints and Drew Brees pile up so many yards without a rushing attack?

Here is a cross-reference by ranking between total offense, rushing, and passing yards. You will see there is not that much correlation between a good rushing game and a good passing game. If there is a correlation, I suspect it is deeper than just the stats themselve, it probably involves the players that are playing the game!

4 === Dallas === 5 === 6

J. Stinchcomb,*#78
J. Evans,*#73
J. Faine,*#52
J. Nesbit,*#67
J. Brown,*#70

Evans is even a rookie and several of these guys haven't even played a full season but have been the league a couple of years. Who even knows who these guys are? Yet, Brees can pile up the numbers with a no name offensive line and a poor rushing that is about the same as the Texans.

My point is, you are just making excuses. How can Drew Brees be one of the best passers in the league with what looks to be an average line, a subpar rushing attack, and be his first year at New Orleans learning a new system? It probably has nothing to do with Drew Bress?

There are guys in this league at QB that can produce more with less around them. Carr doesn't appear to be one of those guys.

Dont bother pointing out the flaws in their littany of excuses. The Carr homers have a crush and its hard to break. Even 5 years of constant losing QB play hasnt even woke them up.

Glad to see everyone isnt a moron though...

doug ftw

ib4texans
11-28-2006, 07:00 PM

4 === Dallas === 5 === 6

J. Stinchcomb,*#78
J. Evans,*#73
J. Faine,*#52
J. Nesbit,*#67
J. Brown,*#70

The Saints may be 28th in rushing yards,but I know Duece McAllister has a boat load of TD's more than Lundy. Then you factor in Reggie and his receiving yardage,well it doesn't look good on paper but they score a lot of TD in the air and on the ground.:hmmm:

HJam72
11-28-2006, 07:41 PM
It'll never happen of course, but I'd love to see Carr in the Pro Bowl, just to see what would happen. If he dinked, dunked, and couldn't find anybody open for more than 10 yds. the whole game, and got sacked 7 times, we'd know it's his fault. If he did things that he can't seem to do on this team, it would tell us something about him too. I'd really like to just see him play for another team for like 2 games--anything, just to see how he does with a different team.

DontTreadOnMe
11-28-2006, 07:55 PM
pittbull,... do you watch the games??? do you know what our record is??? when has a qb with a team record of (my prediction: 4-12, maybe 5-11) ever made the probowl??? why would you dream about carr making the probowl, or any of the texans for that matter,... with exeption to demeco. we stink, we suck, in my opinion NO texan should be in hawaii

MrMeToo
11-28-2006, 08:18 PM
pittbull,... do you watch the games??? do you know what our record is??? when has a qb with a team record of (my prediction: 4-12, maybe 5-11) ever made the probowl??? why would you dream about carr making the probowl, or any of the texans for that matter,... with exeption to demeco. we stink, we suck, in my opinion NO texan should be in hawaii

Andre and Demeco are probably going to make the pro bowl...

QB75
11-28-2006, 08:40 PM
Umm, I really hope you're not trying to compare David Carr with Jeff Bagwell. I'm actually a Carr fan, but you're comparing one of the greatest first basemen in the history of his sport with David Carr... try again.

"Greatest fist basemen in the history of the game..." hahaha

Napa Auto Parts
11-28-2006, 10:09 PM
Well no one deserves a pro bowl more than david carr he should be the stater in my humble opinion:hides::stirpot:

Second Honeymoon
11-28-2006, 11:28 PM
"Greatest fist basemen in the history of the game..." hahaha

I know I know...some of these fans dont even watch the games it seems. The next big hit Bagwell gets will be the first one....he was a loser. As a transplant from St.Louis, I never understood the immortalization of Bagwell and now dont understand the championing of Carr like he is anything more than a below average QB....

but yeah Carr in the Pro Bowl...why not the freaking Hall Of Fame? You guys make me laugh...

doug ftw

OzzO
11-30-2006, 01:38 PM
Here's the stat thread. Kinda a tangent, but here's (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4368578.html)what it seems Kubiak thinks of stats (talking about Van Pelt)....

....The seventh-round draft pick in 2004 was on the Broncos' practice squad in 2004 and was the backup to Jake Plummer last season. He worked with Kubiak and Calhoun while he was there, both of whom said Van Pelt's strengths are not evident from his meager stat line.

Last season, he was 2-of-8 for 7 yards. He also has 48 rushing yards and one rushing touchdown.

"He just loves to compete, and is very good running with the football," Kubiak said. "He's one of those kids whose stats aren't very pretty, but he finds ways to move the ball and win games. And I just love the way he competes; I really enjoy it. I've had him since he was a pup. Hopefully, he'll get better each day."....

Hulk75
11-30-2006, 01:51 PM
Dont bother pointing out the flaws in their littany of excuses. The Carr homers have a crush and its hard to break. Even 5 years of constant losing QB play hasnt even woke them up.

Glad to see everyone isnt a moron though...

doug ftw

What is Andre johnson record as a WR?
What about Dunta Robinson record as a CB?

Hookem Horns
11-30-2006, 02:00 PM
Carr can make it to the Pro Bowl, assuming he knows how to use ebay ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-NFL-Pro-Bowl-Tickets-at-Aloha-Stadium-2-Tickets_W0QQitemZ120058487130QQihZ002QQcategoryZ16 122QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Huge
11-30-2006, 03:45 PM
Only impressive passing stat Carr has is his completion percentage (the biggest reason for having the 5th highest QB rating in the AFC).

But when you look at his average per attempt (6.55), or worse, his average per completion (9.36), it illustrates why his completion percentage is so high.

If he wants to start making Pro Bowls, he's going to have to improve his downfield passing game. That's also going to require the help of his teammates as well (better blocking to give him time to throw...WRs making plays on the ball).

But he's not going ahead of these guys:
Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
Steve McNair
Carson Palmer
Philip Rivers

Now if two or more get injured, then who knows what could happen.

the wonger need food
11-30-2006, 04:24 PM
But he's not going ahead of these guys:
Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
Steve McNair
Carson Palmer
Philip Rivers

or these guys:
JP Losman
Charlie Frye
Joey Harrington
Jake Plummer
Chad Pennington

HOU-TEX
11-30-2006, 04:31 PM
or these guys:
JP Losman
Charlie Frye
Joey Harrington
Jake Plummer
Chad Pennington

LOL! Since we're going that far, let's go a little bit further:

Vince Young TEN
Andrew Walter OAK
Byron Leftwich JAC
Daunte Culpepper MIA
David Garrard JAC
Kerry Collins TEN
Aaron Brooks OAK
Charlie Batch PIT
Trent Green KC
Sage Rosenfels HOU
Kyle Boller BAL
Marques Tuiasosopo OAK
Anthony Wright CIN
Brodie Croyle KC
LaDainian Tomlinson

ATX
11-30-2006, 04:36 PM
:phone: Will Carr make Pro Bowl?

:listening: what does your crystal ball say?

:fortune:-----> :pigfly:

TK_Gamer
11-30-2006, 04:56 PM
LOL! Since we're going that far, let's go a little bit further:

Vince Young TEN
Andrew Walter OAK
Byron Leftwich JAC
Daunte Culpepper MIA
David Garrard JAC
Kerry Collins TEN
Aaron Brooks OAK
Charlie Batch PIT
Trent Green KC
Sage Rosenfels HOU
Kyle Boller BAL
Marques Tuiasosopo OAK
Anthony Wright CIN
Brodie Croyle KC
LaDainian Tomlinson

vince young? brodie croyle?, ok at least make sense, at least carr is an average QB.

ib4texans
11-30-2006, 05:58 PM
I don't think it possible, but if by some strange act he did.......................

This board will thin out for a time, while everybody eats their share of Crow.

MrMeToo
11-30-2006, 08:28 PM
Carr will never make a Pro Bowl. Mark my words.

Kaiser Toro
11-30-2006, 08:33 PM
I truly would love it if Carr made the Pro Bowl. His value would definitely go up.

Honoring Earl 34
11-30-2006, 08:39 PM
Why can't you people get it ... Carr can be a pro bowler . How hard is it to knock down a bunch of pins . :gun:

Vinny
11-30-2006, 08:53 PM
Carr has to be a playmaker to make the pro bowl....he has proven to be a safe, dump off QB but certainly no playmaker. Combine his stats, with some big plays and some team wins and he has a shot at a Pro Bowl....other than that, he doesn't qualify with just a gloss stat line centered around short safe passes in an offense that struggles to throw down field.

IshouldbeGM
11-30-2006, 11:22 PM
no way....

peyton manning, phillip rivers, tom brady, steve mcnair, carson palmer are all ahead of car, id even rank losman and harrington ahead of carr

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
11-30-2006, 11:37 PM
All of us on this board have as good a chance as David Carr does at making the Pro Bowl.

MrMeToo
12-01-2006, 01:12 AM
All of us on this board have as good a chance as David Carr does at making the Pro Bowl.

LOL!!! Sig Worthy Material.

HOOK'EM
12-02-2006, 05:41 AM
Carr in the probowl 06', then trade him get see what we can get.

GNTLEWOLF
12-02-2006, 05:51 AM

I thought to "have a chance" one would need to actually play pro football. I know I don't. At any rate, There would have to be a lot of changes made before David Carr would ever have a chance.

MrMeToo
12-02-2006, 07:11 PM
I thought to "have a chance" one would need to actually play pro football. I know I don't. At any rate, There would have to be a lot of changes made before David Carr would ever have a chance.

I guess someone doesn't get the :sarcasm:

Scottyboy
12-02-2006, 08:18 PM
Lets be Honest here, you smoke crack right? :hide:

riverside
12-03-2006, 12:34 PM
Fan support doesn't mean jack when it comes to Pro Bowl selections. Yes it does. The pro-bowl players are voted by fans, players, & coaches equally.

Considering that players & coaches are also be fans, your statement couldn't be any more incorrect.

pittbull,... do you watch the games??? do you know what our record is??? when has a qb with a team record of (my prediction: 4-12, maybe 5-11) ever made the probowl??? That's pretty much the truth. The only time it could happen would be if the QB had league leading stats in many categories even though his team has a poor record.