PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable now we know what we need in the Draft

CyberTexan
10-03-2004, 02:35 PM
We have no run defense , we need to ditch this 3-4 Defense and get a 1st round run stopping DT from the draft , this is rediculous , a HB like Zereoue or however its spelled should not be gettin yards like this .

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
10-03-2004, 02:37 PM
i agree. our defense blows

nunusguy
10-03-2004, 02:43 PM
We have no run defense , we need to ditch this 3-4 Defense and get a 1st round run stopping DT from the draft , this is rediculous , a HB like Zereoue or however its spelled should not be gettin yards like this .
And the pass rush is just as bad, if not worse. But with the personnel we've
got, same problem in a 4-3 - it's not the D formation -it's the players.

DR#1
10-03-2004, 02:43 PM
CyberTexan you must have been reading my mind because we're getting no type of pressure, Kerry Collins is having all day to throw the ball

aphia1996
10-03-2004, 08:58 PM
I didn't get to see much of the game just highlights but we caused FIVE TURNOVERS and they only scored...17 points and we shut them out in the second half....AM I MISSING SOMETHING?????

Everyone needs to stop the run and from what I can tell they made the correct changes at halftime and WON THE GAME.

Most of the Yards from a rush stand point came from the few big plays they just broke down on but looks like the fixed in the second half.

Anyway, I was just wondering what you were talking about since they did shut them down in the second half.

GEAUX TEXANS!!!

James H.
Baton Rouge, LA

Dime
10-03-2004, 09:02 PM
Yes.. I agree we need to upgrade our run defense.. We need a DT bigtime.. My question is, if we adopted another DT (rookie 1st pick), Should we move to a 4 3 Defense.. ? Or stick with the 3 4 ?

done88
10-03-2004, 09:04 PM
How bout one big int after another. Every team has one weakness or another but our defense stepped up tonight BIG TIME.

infantrycak
10-03-2004, 09:26 PM
Yes.. I agree we need to upgrade our run defense.. We need a DT bigtime.. My question is, if we adopted another DT (rookie 1st pick), Should we move to a 4 3 Defense.. ? Or stick with the 3 4 ?

We have 3 guys that would be DT's in a 4-3. Drafting another DT would give us 4 and no one other than maybe Peek/Babin that would be a 4-3 DE--and they were drafted to be OLB's in a 3-4 for a reason.

RTP2110
10-03-2004, 09:34 PM
We could play 4-3 now. Payne and Smith are DT's. At DE it would be Walker and Babin. Sharper, Wong, and Peek would be the LB's.

keyfro
10-03-2004, 09:36 PM
no no no...i agree our run defense is horrible...payne is not playing like he did at the beginning of last year...robaire smith is doing just fine...and walker is doing ok...payne/deloach combination is obviously our weakness...but normally a rookie DT doesn't perform well till his third or fourth season...simply because it takes those years to gain the strength needed to compete...honestly going into the draft i would just stick to the BPA approach...this off-season it might be the best idea

Hervoyel
10-03-2004, 11:34 PM

Zereoue had a 14 carry 117 yard day. Minus one single 55 yard explosion where just about everybody near him made the wrong move that amounts to a 13 carry 62 yard day. Sounds pretty ordinary to me. Good, but nothing to get too terribly excited about.

The D will continue to improve as long as everyone stays healthy. Right now you're cracking on a defense that starts two rookies in the secondary along with a cornerback who's been moved over to safety, a rookie linebacker, and one new starter on a defensive line that also happens to feature two players returning from extensive inuries last season.

This is pretty good IMO for week 4. If they still regularly look like this in week 10 then yeah, maybe something might need fixing but it's not broken right now. It's just rusty, out of synch, and kind of wet behind the ears in spots.

beerlover
10-03-2004, 11:51 PM
I'm glad y'all don't have ANY SAY with the draft because you suck :thumbdown listen each week the Texans defense improves what game are you watching? The first touchdown was scored by the defense, and another field goal was set up by the defense. What do you want? The Raiders have a dominating offenseve line without a safety blitz (coaching) there was no way especially the right side with Gallery, get real. I thought the Texans speed starting with the linebackers though the DB's was outstanding. Sure they got juked on the one big running play, but I'd like someone to explain to me the moving screen which is how he worked his way into the endzone. Anyway the Texans are now in position to draft the BPA it doesn't matter if its defense or offense. Texans have arrived, next Minn.

Fiddy
10-03-2004, 11:53 PM
I think the Zereoue run had more to do with missed tackles than bad defense because there were defensive players around Zereoue but he just bounced off a lot of the guys...

beerlover
10-04-2004, 12:00 AM
in basketball a moving screen is illeagal for a reason, the same does not apply in football. Clearly if you ever played sports you would understand the difficulty trying to fight through a moving pick! C'mon now he had blocking the whole way & the rules protect that fact, something for the Texans need to file for future reference.

texasguy346
10-04-2004, 12:03 AM
I think the Zereoue run had more to do with missed tackles than bad defense because there were defensive players around Zereoue but he just bounced off a lot of the guys...

That plus it didn't hurt that the Raiders essientially took out 4 players with one big block. I believe Robaire Smith was being blocked and pursuing Zereoue, and he fell to the ground as Sharper dove over Smith trying to catch him. That, in turn, caused Babin to trip and I'm thinking there was at least one other player in that pile up. Possibly Simmons or Wong, but I'm not certain.

ATX
10-04-2004, 03:11 AM
bad defense that didn't allow the raiders to score in the second half. hmmmm

rackem
10-04-2004, 04:02 AM
We are talking about the Raider-Texans game played on Oct.3, 2004, right?? The game we won? The game the Texan defense is being credited with the win?

I had no idea this place was so full of short-sighted, fair-weather fans!

aj.
10-04-2004, 06:56 AM
I wasn't happy either, looking up at the scoreboard and seeing Oakland with 260 something yards at halftime. But, keeping the Raiders off the scoreboard in the second half made up for that in a big way. It's hard to beyatch too much when you set a team record for most points scored and 13 of those points were either scored by the defense or were set up by takeaways by the defense. Aside from the freaky win at Heinz in 2002 where the offense totaled something like 47 yards, the Texans 13 point margin of victory yesterday was their largest ever.

I think the Texans will eventually find a way to get pressure on the QB and tighten up against the run. Next week will be even a bigger test. The Vikes offensive attack is one of the best in the NFL.

Aussie
10-04-2004, 07:16 AM
someone like vince wilfork maybe???

chuckm
10-04-2004, 10:57 AM
someone like vince wilfork maybe???

We need to get over this Wilfork thing .... pleeeeeez .... this is reality not fantasy football .....

phan1
10-04-2004, 11:12 AM
Credit the Raiders too! They have a great O-line, and a great set of power RBs. They ran all over Tampa just last week. I agree that the Defense hasn't even looked on par with their rookie season, and it's dissappointing, but the Raiders are a legit team with a legit offense.

wolf123
10-04-2004, 11:26 AM
With are run defense getting killed every week, we either need a big DT like rodriquez wright or a playmaking Middle linebacker like amad brooks. seth payne and gary walker are both getting old and jay foreman only looks good because of the 3-4 we run.

V Man
10-04-2004, 11:32 AM
Going along with this thread, I say this game showed we need to find a RB that can hold onto the ball (especially in the Red Zone). Davis has four, Hollings got lucky because he should have had two yesterday, they blamed one on Carr, and the other they called him down to early, Wells (although he had a great game) can fumble inside the twenty when the game was tight in the first half.

keyfro
10-04-2004, 11:36 AM
that's why i still think we're going to draft a runningback pretty high in the draft...not sure yet who looks like a good pick at that position...i know there are a lot of benson fans but i'm not sure if he'll transfer to the nfl like ricky did...personally you got to like a guy named cadillac

V Man
10-04-2004, 11:43 AM
that's why i still think we're going to draft a runningback pretty high in the draft...not sure yet who looks like a good pick at that position...i know there are a lot of benson fans but i'm not sure if he'll transfer to the nfl like ricky did...personally you got to like a guy named cadillac

I like the boy from Tennesse and his name fits also. :thumbup

texan279
10-04-2004, 11:49 AM
Are you guys talking about drafting a RB to replace DD or a RB to add to the roster?

V Man
10-04-2004, 12:15 PM
Are you guys talking about drafting a RB to replace DD or a RB to add to the roster?

First, I love DD, but I don't think he is big enough or durable enough to be a featured back. Draft a good RB, move DD back to what he was originally draft for a great third down back, let him carry the ball 5 to 10 times, and catch 5 passes, but not take the pounding of a every down back. Then we will have him as a weapon all year, not just 1/2 to 2/3 of the season like last year and like it is looking this year.

TheOgre
10-04-2004, 12:21 PM
I'm looking forward to the rest of the season. We definitely have some playmakers on both sides of the ball now. I hope Sharper gets the national recognition he deserves this season. That highlight play he had could help him actually get in the Pro Bowl this season.

Bring on the Vikes!!

texansfan88
10-04-2004, 02:03 PM
i think its funny how all of you talk about who/what we need, yet you dont know any of the players at those positions. Sure, you can look at NFLDraftBlitz.com or something to see where we have him ranked, but that would just be copycatting. Now, from someone who knows what they're talking about-me.

The only DT you'll find coming out of the 1st round AS OF TODAY is Antaaj Hawthorne out of Wisconsin. He's fast off of the line and is a perfect 4-3 DT. If we stick with the 3-4, he will not fit.

Rodrique Wright, Orien Harris, and Haloti Ngata are also superb DT's, but none are expected to leave early.

With that said, have a good day

texasguy346
10-04-2004, 02:09 PM
I'm looking forward to the rest of the season. We definitely have some playmakers on both sides of the ball now. I hope Sharper gets the national recognition he deserves this season. That highlight play he had could help him actually get in the Pro Bowl this season.

Bring on the Vikes!!

Not a bad day for the Sharper brothers. Jamie's brother had a pick at the goaline for the Packers yesterday too. Too bad the Packers lost though.

TheOgre
10-04-2004, 02:10 PM
Now, from someone who knows what they're talking about-me.

The only DT you'll find coming out of the 1st round AS OF TODAY is Antaaj Hawthorne out of Wisconsin.

What makes you such an authority?

Demon
10-04-2004, 02:11 PM
The timing is definitely off to dis the defense. Come on:

HOUSTON 30 OAKLAND 17

Get real folks.

GO TEXANS!!!!!! lol:

BigBang
10-04-2004, 02:12 PM
Personally, I think we should switch up between a 3-4 and a 4-3. Keep the offense guessing.

texasguy346
10-04-2004, 02:15 PM
What makes you such an authority?

Obviously he must be Mel Kiper.

As for knowing if any underclassmen are coming out as of yet I am sure they aren't even sure just yet. Pollack contemplated coming out at the end of his junior season, but he decided against it and returned for his senior year. I'm not sure what kind of intimate knowledge you can have that apparently no one else has, but I'm sure declaring for the draft will be a consideration for all those guys once their football season is over and they have time to make their decision.

texansfan88
10-04-2004, 02:18 PM
1st off, if any of you think mel kiper is a draft whiz, you're being deceived. He receives 99% of his info from Washington Redskins Exec. Vinny Cerrato. So basically, that is usually their draft board.

Secondly, I work for NFLDraftBlitz.com, along with contributing work to other draft sites. For Blitz, I cover the Defensive line, wide receivers and quarterbacks. I have talked to Antaaj on a few occasions, and from what I'm understanding, if we want him, we're going to have to be downright awful the rest of the year.

texansfan88
10-04-2004, 02:19 PM
Obviously he must be Mel Kiper.

As for knowing if any underclassmen are coming out as of yet I am sure they aren't even sure just yet. Pollack contemplated coming out at the end of his junior season, but he decided against it and returned for his senior year. I'm not sure what kind of intimate knowledge you can have that apparently no one else has, but I'm sure declaring for the draft will be a consideration for all those guys once their football season is over and they have time to make their decision.

Wright will be pressured into staying at UT, thats a given. Haloti will not leave early mainly b/c he has not had a great season. If he turns it around in the Pac-10 sked, then maybe. Orien Harris would be the only other likely one to come out, but I personally dont think he's ready. Did anyone see him against UH? wooo he looked like a kid out there.

I dont consider any juniors until they rightfully declare. So if the draft started today, Antaaj is the only DT worthy of a 1st round selection, and we'd have to go about 4-12 to be in a good spot to take him

infantrycak
10-04-2004, 02:23 PM
Personally, I think we should switch up between a 3-4 and a 4-3. Keep the offense guessing.

At times we have one of the LB's put a hand down to have 4 guys down--same thing the Pats do often. Sunday you saw more of just 2 down linemen mixed in.

texasguy346
10-04-2004, 02:36 PM
Mel Kiper was a joke reference.

As far as the leaving early is concerned it's still to early to determine what these players will decide. Just because a player is pressured to stay doesn't mean he'll stay. However, UT does tend to have most of their juniors return for their senior season. In February or March then you can make a better determination of whether or not they'll enter the draft. Players who could use another year of college football might be convinced that they're better than they are and jump early to the draft or hire an agent etc. That isn't an uncommon occurence. Conversations with a player are great, but how many reporters can say they've had similar conversations with him? I'm guessing there are many. Not exactly intimate knowledge, or enough to judge what his decision will ultimately be come season's end. No one is disrespecting you or your views on the draft, and there's no point in you disrespecting other peoples views on the draft.

nunusguy
10-04-2004, 03:10 PM
At times we have one of the LB's put a hand down to have 4 guys down--same thing the Pats do often. Sunday you saw more of just 2 down linemen mixed in.
Yup, I was noticing that to and its another illustration of how 3-4 personnel
are more versitile and therefor more flexible than 4-3 personnel: the OLBs very
often are guys who have experience playing down lineman. I think Wong, Peek, Babin, and Anderson all played DE in college.

Meloy
10-04-2004, 03:14 PM
Wow! I love this stuff. If I am a plummer, I can say you don't know s*** but I do. Just IMO but sounds like one of us wants others to know he occasionally rubs shoulders with ATHLETES! I am new to the board, but when someone makes a criticism of a play, player, coach or philosophy why is there so many responses of "we won don't bring it up"? I can be loyal to the team and still question. Sort of like "I love my girlfiend but I do recognize her shortcomings." Well, I may not voice that after all, but perhaps you get my drift.

I enjoy discussing and getting other opinions on why things happen on the field. Also, I just love the comment, "Well you would understand, if you had ever played." I think that is why some women have nothing to do with sports. Not being one, I ain't sure and may some ladies can respond? Anyway, keep up the comments. I have a call in to my insurance agent to make sure my hospitalization covers me if I fall out of my chair laughing.

texansfan88
10-04-2004, 03:26 PM
lol dude, you have the wrong impression of me. Someone asked how credible I am, and I told them who I worked for and what I do. I've talked to players about who is looking at them and they tell me, thats why I said we better be a 4-12 team if we want Hawthorne this year.

All I'm asking is instead of saying we need a DT, be specific and give reasons why. If you know nothing about the guy, say you know nothing but it'd be nice to get a DT

bruenice
10-04-2004, 03:36 PM
if you look at the 3-4, many times the olb comes up to the line to give a 4-3 look anyhow, just in a two point rather than being down in a three point stance. i say let peek get more reps ahead of babin. granted babin getting all the money, but for the time that he is in there, peek has stats that comparable to babin's. the plays he was in yesterday, he kept contain on the running plays and helped collapse the pocket more than babin. babin just isn't getting it done. whatever defense is being played you need someone coming off the edge that will pressure the quarterback, force the running back inside on running plays, and drop back into pass coverage. i don't think that babin can cover the pass. i'm not saying that peek is the best at pass coverage right now, but he is better than babin.

Meloy
10-04-2004, 04:50 PM
lol dude, you have the wrong impression of me. Someone asked how credible I am, and I told them who I worked for and what I do. I've talked to players about who is looking at them and they tell me, thats why I said we better be a 4-12 team if we want Hawthorne this year.

All I'm asking is instead of saying we need a DT, be specific and give reasons why. If you know nothing about the guy, say you know nothing but it'd be nice to get a DT

Thanks for your response, you came across arrogant and I now accept that wasn't your intention. What do you think about starting both Babin & Peek @ left and right outside linebacker? Wong could still get several plays at back up.
I am sure there is a reason or D coordinator would already be doing it. Just wish he would keep me informed. HA! :popcorn:

texansfan88
10-04-2004, 04:53 PM
The problem with that is peek is terrible against the run, and teams know it. so no runs would go towards babin's side. With Wong, you have both pass rushing and run stopping ability

texasguy346
10-04-2004, 04:57 PM

Now from someone who knows what they're talking about- me.

All I'm saying is that at this point in the season none of us have any better idea as to where the Texans are going than anyone else. This thread is simply to get people's thoughts about what we need in the draft. It's an opinion, and nothing more. People are stating players they like, and think would be a good fit. If you don't agree with them, then simply state who you think would fit. No reason to say they don't know what they're talkin about. At this point in the season your guess is as good as anyone elses because none of us are going to be in the Texans' draft room on draft day. Have fun with it, and question their reasoning. Perhaps it was an innocent remark or an attempt at a joke, but that's what everyone's responding too.

TheOgre
10-04-2004, 05:32 PM
I have been thinking we needed a bigger threat #2 receiver but I am beginning to think that Armstrong may be that guy.

texansfan88
10-04-2004, 05:38 PM
For those that dont feel we have a good #2 (which might change by the end of the year), these will be good #2s to AJ

Geoff McArthur, Cal
J.R. Russell, Louisville
Roydell Williams, Tulane
Brandon Rideau, Kansas
Taylor Stubblefield, Purdue
Josh Davis, Marshall
Terrence Murphy, Texas A&M
Craig Bragg, UCLA

I would bet that one of these guys will be a Texan if Bradford leaves. These guys should be available in the 3rd round and have a ton of value

texasguy346
10-04-2004, 06:36 PM
I have been thinking we needed a bigger threat #2 receiver but I am beginning to think that Armstrong may be that guy.

I like what I've seen from Armstrong too. We might pick up a free agent WR to compete for the #2 job. Gaff looks to be his best in the slot, and if Armstrong can keep progressing like he has so far then I think he'd have a good shot at the #2 spot. Wouldn't mind picking up a WR in the draft either.

Bill's/TexanFan
10-04-2004, 08:05 PM
We have 3 guys that would be DT's in a 4-3. Drafting another DT would give us 4 and no one other than maybe Peek/Babin that would be a 4-3 DE--and they were drafted to be OLB's in a 3-4 for a reason.

I believe I mentioned going to a 4-3 Defense last week and was told that our 3-4 was what a number of teams were switching to because it was so great. :popcorn:

NoBullTexan
10-04-2004, 08:32 PM
I wondered how long it would take, in this thread, before someone brought up Vince Wilfork. He, of course, was my choice for our first round pick last year, although I am perfectly happy with D-Rob now that is the way we chose to go. I wouldn't second guess the coaching and personnel gurus too much, as they have had a 4-5 year plan all along for this team, and it looks like we are on target to be a play-off team by next year. A little improvemant in each of the first two years so far based on won-loss record seems to bear this out. The 3-4D is the D of choice of coach Capers and I see no big deal with it not fulfilling that function. The big 'ol ugly defensive lineman will probably, most likely be, one of our first picks in the draft this next year so I am content to watch and wait. Maybe all you Chicken Littles, "the sky is falling", should just sit back and enjoy seeing your teams growth, and quit griping about one lousy run that could have happened to any team in the NFL, considering the blocking he was getting. 5 turnovers on the plus side far outweighs that one lousy run, IMO. :twocents:

CyberTexan
10-04-2004, 08:44 PM
Ok , I started this thread , and its kinda like that game where you tell somone a secret and by the time it gets to the last person the secret has changed all together . I was not talking about that One play that Zereou had . Yes we won and im very happy about that but our run defense leaves alot to be desired and needs improvement if we are going to go anywhere , thats why I mentioned picking a Big DT in the draft and going 4-3 . I guess i need facts ,
week 1 we gave up 122 yards rushing ( yes hes a good back so ok )
week 2 we gave up 94 yards not alot but Kevin Jones isnt the greatest
week 3 we gave up 168 yards ( yes another good back with a sprained ankle)
week 4 we gave up 151 yards to another back who isnt that good Zereoue

thats a combined total of 535 yards in 4 games , you cant tell me thats not too much , we have to correct that problem somehow or we arent gonna continue to win back to back games . So I was making a suggestion of the DT and going to 4-3 .
Heck I didnt even mention the other problem we have and the special teams needs alot of work . Everything else looks fantastic and I am very happy with it . Close those 2 Categories and we are gonna win alot of games

infantrycak
10-04-2004, 09:08 PM
So I was making a suggestion of the DT and going to 4-3.

There is a Jerry Jeff Walker song for anyone that wants the Texans to convert to a 4-3, at least until things get so bad that Capers & Fangio are both fired. They are 3-4 gurus/advocates. The only way this happens is as it happened in Atlanta this year.

Panther5407
10-04-2004, 09:42 PM
For those that dont feel we have a good #2 (which might change by the end of the year), these will be good #2s to AJ

Geoff McArthur, Cal
J.R. Russell, Louisville
Roydell Williams, Tulane
Brandon Rideau, Kansas
Josh Davis, Marshall
Craig Bragg, UCLA

I would bet that one of these guys will be a Texan if Bradford leaves. These guys should be available in the 3rd round and have a ton of value

I like T-Murph alot. I was at there game this weekend vs. K-State and he caught this pass that was great concentration. He was pushed down during a long route, falling down(on his back) and was still able to catch it. The only reason I wouldn't want him to become a Texan is to make sure he got playing time somewhere that needs a receiver more than we do.

rackem
10-04-2004, 09:49 PM
1st off, if any of you think mel kiper is a draft whiz, you're being deceived. He receives 99% of his info from Washington Redskins Exec. Vinny Cerrato. So basically, that is usually their draft board.

Secondly, I work for NFLDraftBlitz.com, along with contributing work to other draft sites. For Blitz, I cover the Defensive line, wide receivers and quarterbacks. I have talked to Antaaj on a few occasions, and from what I'm understanding, if we want him, we're going to have to be downright awful the rest of the year.

WOW, you REALLY work for a three-year old Internet site ?? I know I'm impressed.
:woot

texansfan88
10-04-2004, 09:59 PM
I'm not going to argue with you dude. I'm proud of what I do and I know what I'm talking about. If you dont like it, oh well, I guess I'll just have to work that much more to prove myself

beerlover
10-04-2004, 10:15 PM
man you could know everything about every player in College and still get it wrong. Last draft was a real shocker, not so much with Robinson instead of Wilfork but the blockbuster trade with the Titans for Babin for 1/3 our draft. Looks like its worked out to the Texans benefit, the Texans are a better team with Robinson, Babin & Earl than without & thats all that really matters.

keep postng your information and we'll discuss it, however I really think Kipper is a terrific fountain of knowledge a true sports junkie (follows all sports) living the life many of us may be envious of, I say more power to him.

the Texans next draft you can bank on them filling their biggest need 1st, it will interesting speculation to figure out just what that need or position may be & the player that fits the Texans system :twocents:

hound
10-04-2004, 11:24 PM
From what I've seen of the team so far this year I'd think our first pick next year will be the best D lineman available when we draft. Not that it's terrible, but I just think we are stronger everywhere else. Plus we still have a lot of banged up knees trying to make it a few more seasons. We need a monster D lineman to stuff the run and pressure the qb right up the middle.

infantrycak
10-04-2004, 11:34 PM
I'm not going to argue with you grampa. I'm proud of what I do and I know what I'm talking about. If you dont like it, oh well

Try demonstrating your knowledge rather than just stating it as fact.

texansfan88
10-04-2004, 11:38 PM
you'd think after all of the players mentioned and the sleepers I've mentioned in other posts, that I would have already used my knowledge, I guess not. Maybe I should just stop and let people continually go "I think we need a runningback because domanick got hurt...I think we need a big run stopper but I dont know any of the players that we could possibly get"

I'm just letting people know whats going on, and where we're going to have to be to get these people. If you dont like it, thats fine

beerlover
10-05-2004, 12:36 AM
here is a specific name for you David Pollack DE Georgia a little small for the 3-4 but if the Texans finish 7-8 or maybe even 8-8 this is a case where the BPA applies and its not a stretch that Cappers would make him work in the 3-4 system, thus improving the defensive front with speed & skill. If Corey Webster (LSU) is still available however that would be a tough choice for me. I'm thrilled with Dunta's progress and this kid looks very similar, very quick & atheltic, either way it would upgrade the Texans developing defense.

texasguy346
10-05-2004, 04:30 PM
I'm thinking they might go for a CB too, but I'm not sure if they'd go for Webster. I was thinking they might go for a CB in the later rounds of the draft. Glenn doesn't have many years left, but it looks as if Faggins has progressed better than expected and could be a viable #2 CB when Glenn decides to hang it up. I do like what I've seen of Webster though. Too bad LSU isn't having as good of a season as they'd hoped.

eriadoc
10-05-2004, 05:03 PM
3-4 defense is not the problem. The players have to perform, whatever system they're in. The coaches have drafted according to the 3-4 and that's fine -- but the players have to perform. Babin is a rookie and will make plenty of rookie mistakes. Not only has he never had to play coverage, he's never had to play coverage IN THE NFL. Containment in the NFL in a 3-4 is vastly different from playing a 4-3 DE in a smaller school (W. Mich.), much less dropping into coverage. Babin has the athletic ability, he just needs to be put in a few more situations where he doesn't have to think so much. Peek has been good in pressuring the QB, but he obviously doesn't have all of the containment/coverage skills that the coaches want, or he'd be in there a lot more. Foreman seems to consistently tackle runners 5-10 yards after the line of scrimmage, but I am not sure how much of that is on him.

IMO, we need a solid ILB to complement Sharper and that will allow the coaches a lot more flexibility on who to play in certain situations. Unfortunately, that lack of depth is what expansion teams have to endure. We're three years in, but even if we'd drafted perfectly up to this point, we still would not have the quality depth that many teams have.

Chance_C
10-05-2004, 06:08 PM
I'm not going to argue with you grampa

That was nice. Real nice.

JustBonee
10-05-2004, 06:15 PM
Some just aren't taught proper manners in their upbringing.. :thumbdown

nunusguy
10-05-2004, 08:42 PM
Babin is a rookie and will make plenty of rookie mistakes.
I'm still troubled by the Babin selection in the draft. And not because he's making mistakes - he gets that being a down lineman from a non-major college program. Huge, huge adjustments he's got to be processing. I thought this guy was gonna play with the same kind of intensity that this Pollack kid with Georgia does. I don't get that feeling about him. And he seems undersized - he looks to me like he's 'bout 240-245 tops instead of the advertised 260. I know he looked pretty good against SD, but he's seemed to have disappeared since. But still way too early to get a fair read on him. Just
hope he's moving in the right direction and not regressing ?

texansfan88
10-05-2004, 09:49 PM
I still am a big fan of Babin, but people must be patient. The Texans knew what they were getting into when they gave up 3 picks for him, but they know that one day it will pay off

texasguy346
10-05-2004, 10:36 PM
I can't say that Babin has dissappeared, but I guess I've been watching him more closely than most people. I took a particular interest in him because I hadn't heard much about him coming into the draft, and I originally questioned the move to get him. He's gotten pretty good pressure on the QB in a few games, and I really can't say I've seen him beaten badly in coverage yet. I've been expecting a team to have a field day with him when he's covering a HB or FB or TE, but I can't remember that happening. I know we're not putting him in coverage as often as say Wong or Sharper, but he still hasn't made any major mistakes as of yet. I love Peek's energy and the spark that he brings, but he's apparently struggling with keeping contain and defending the run. Babin looks like he's getting better and better at making his run/pass reads, and he's played well against the run. He also seems to have a good nose for the ball, and I've seen him either in on or near tons of tackles. I really don't think he's regressing, but as someone else stated it's still too early to have a good read on him as a player. From what I've seen he's worth what we gave up for him, but it's still early.

texansfan88
10-05-2004, 11:17 PM
A guy that I know could really help us is Jelani Clement, Center/Guard out of Hampton. Right now, there's about 5 teams seriously interested in him as a 3rd-4th round prospect, including one of our division rivals. If McKinney leaves or if we just want depth on the o-line, he would be a great option that has a ton of potential.

beerlover
10-06-2004, 05:05 AM
so basicly if the Texans drafted Jelani Clement mid to late third round they could use the pick aquired from Dallas in the Drew Henson trade, which we all know was really a 6th round pick lol: I'll have to think about it :hehe:

texansfan88
10-06-2004, 07:41 PM
hes a talent thats for sure

beerlover
10-06-2004, 10:31 PM
seriously what ever happen'ed to Isaac Hilton most draft people thought he was a solid third round prospect, he was from Hampton, drafted but almost Mr. irrevelent being the last pick in the draft by the Giants. I don't see him on their roster anymore did another team pick him up or is he still on their practice roster?

Hampton does have a solid offensive line coach & produced several solid NFL prospects but seems a stretch to take a MAC player early as the 3rd round. idonno:

Meloy
10-07-2004, 11:42 AM
All I'm saying is that at this point in the season none of us have any better idea as to where the Texans are going than anyone else. This thread is simply to get people's thoughts about what we need in the draft. It's an opinion, and nothing more. People are stating players they like, and think would be a good fit. If you don't agree with them, then simply state who you think would fit. No reason to say they don't know what they're talkin about. At this point in the season your guess is as good as anyone elses because none of us are going to be in the Texans' draft room on draft day. Have fun with it, and question their reasoning. Perhaps it was an innocent remark or an attempt at a joke, but that's what everyone's responding too.

I agree besides it fun to do the what if's. I go brain numb during the off season because no one on radio or news papers offer much. Yet the fans I talk to want that dialogue. You are also right about the war room on draft day. To my knowledge, only Lance Zerline is claiming to have picked Babin at the second pick. :thumbup

Meloy
10-07-2004, 11:51 AM

Geoff McArthur, Cal
J.R. Russell, Louisville
Roydell Williams, Tulane
Brandon Rideau, Kansas
Josh Davis, Marshall
Craig Bragg, UCLA

Do you see any @ a higher quality that may be available @ second round or would you hold off until 3rd? Don't we have two picks in second? One from Dallas for Hensen? Or did one of those go for Hollings in supplemental? If Armstrong does what I hope, we could use that draft pick for another position like safety of Dline. Also, if Bradford steps up the last 12 games AND agrees to sign a reasonable new contract do we offer him a job? :popcorn:

infantrycak
10-07-2004, 12:05 PM
Do you see any @ a higher quality that may be available @ second round or would you hold off until 3rd? Don't we have two picks in second? One from Dallas for Hensen? Or did one of those go for Hollings in supplemental? If Armstrong does what I hope, we could use that draft pick for another position like safety of Dline. Also, if Bradford steps up the last 12 games AND agrees to sign a reasonable new contract do we offer him a job? :popcorn:

We got a third for Hensen and we used last year's 2nd for Hollings.

Meloy
10-07-2004, 12:45 PM
A guy that I know could really help us is Jelani Clement, Center/Guard out of Hampton. Right now, there's about 5 teams seriously interested in him as a 3rd-4th round prospect, including one of our division rivals. If McKinney leaves or if we just want depth on the o-line, he would be a great option that has a ton of potential.

Just received this morning an email from Charlie Pallilo concerning drafting a center in lower rounds. He thought Fred Weary or Todd Washington would be the choice after McKinney leaves. Said Weary has some center skills. He also agreed 1st round D tackle & 2nd round receiver or another D tackle depending on players available.

jacquescas
10-07-2004, 12:47 PM
I think we need to go offensive line in the first round. Defensive line in the second round. Depending on how Joppru does this year maybe tight end in the 3rd round.

SBTexans08
10-07-2004, 12:47 PM
Zereque (sp?) used to be good in college. It didn't surprise me one bit that he had himself a little 100 yard day.

texansfan88
10-07-2004, 04:08 PM
seriously what ever happen'ed to Isaac Hilton most draft people thought he was a solid third round prospect, he was from Hampton, drafted but almost Mr. irrevelent being the last pick in the draft by the Giants. I don't see him on their roster anymore did another team pick him up or is he still on their practice roster?

Hampton does have a solid offensive line coach & produced several solid NFL prospects but seems a stretch to take a MAC player early as the 3rd round. idonno:

Hampton is in the MEAC, not the MAC

Jelani is a special talent and teams know that. Thats why they're already as high on them as they are.

texansfan88
10-07-2004, 04:09 PM
Just received this morning an email from Charlie Pallilo concerning drafting a center in lower rounds. He thought Fred Weary or Todd Washington would be the choice after McKinney leaves. Said Weary has some center skills. He also agreed 1st round D tackle & 2nd round receiver or another D tackle depending on players available.
ask pallilo if he even knows a single DT in the draft...if we have an 8-8 season, theres going to be no way we get Antaaj Hawthorne.

texansfan88
10-07-2004, 04:10 PM
To be honest, Geoff McArthur might be a late 1st rounder. It all depends on what juniors come out. If Mike Williams, Chris Henry, and Martin Nance all come out, it'll make it easier to hold off. This is a great wide receiver class much like last years, so no reason to rush

texansfan88
10-07-2004, 05:22 PM
I can actually see the Texans going middle linebacker with the first pick if Odell Thurman, junior out of Georgia declares and is there. Great power and speed. Has a knack of getting to the ball. Reminds me of a young Ray Lewis

beerlover
10-07-2004, 06:43 PM
I can actually see the Texans going middle linebacker with the first pick if Odell Thurman, junior out of Georgia declares and is there. Great power and speed. Has a knack of getting to the ball. Reminds me of a young Ray Lewis

GOOD PICK, I WAS THINKING ALONG THE SAME LINES :thumbup

Lets assume the Texans finish 8-8 and therefore select mid 1st round would Odell's teammate @ Georgia DE David Pollack still be avialable? This would address the Texans need for a premier rushing end & if Cassrly could pull off another Babin'ish trade up grab Odell as well :headbang:

wags
10-07-2004, 07:11 PM
I don't know where Pollack will go in the draft. He's an obvious first rounder, but he won't impress at the combine because he's not a "workout warrior." As for Odell, he has a history of getting in trouble. So, buyer beware.

jacquescas
10-07-2004, 07:28 PM
I feel like its still too early to be looking at the defense saying it needs more help when there are 3 rookies starting. Offensive line is the only position where we do not have a pro bowler, former pro bowler, or potential pro bowler, or rookie starter.

ArlingtonTexan
10-07-2004, 08:05 PM
I don't know where Pollack will go in the draft. He's an obvious first rounder, but he won't impress at the combine because he's not a "workout warrior." As for Odell, he has a history of getting in trouble. So, buyer beware.

Pollack reminds of Babin or Babin reminds of Pollack. Effort players with multiple pass rush moves who are productive colege players but could be 'tweenrs in the NFL. Of course, if Pollack had been drafted where Babin was, we would have all been more comfortable with a SEC player versus a MAC player in the first.

beerlover
10-07-2004, 10:34 PM

your right about the combine so this would only assist him falling down further on the draft board than warranted to the Texans (8-8). From all acounts he is a student of the game "not a workout warrior" and I think he would add a nice blend of balance to the current roster. He adjusts during the game, remembers his opponents tendancys & recovers to make a difference behind the line. Odell I'm not as familar with from last year (injured) but from what I've seen this year he may be the most complete inside linebacker in the country, a nice complimnent to Babin for the future & with Pollack an existing working understanding. I would give the Texans mad props if they could pull this off, we'll just have to wait & see.
:popcorn:

texansfan88
10-08-2004, 12:19 AM
right now, if the draft was held today, i have him going #22 to Jacksonville. Again, this is as the current standings are after week 4.

beerlover
10-08-2004, 01:22 AM
right now, if the draft was held today, i have him going #22 to Jacksonville. Again, this is as the current standings are after week 4.

thats just one more reason to consider taking him, the last thing I want to see is a Carr Pollack Pancake :soldier:

jr0ck
10-08-2004, 01:41 AM
From all acounts he is a student of the game "not a workout warrior"

well he is the only player at georgia with a key to the weight room. and if you don't consider a 700lb squat a semblence of a "workout warrior", i don't know what is. pollack is beast. info's from the august issue of ESPN magazine.

Bamaborn-Texasbred
08-21-2006, 11:26 PM

This is how you felt last October?

TexanSam
08-22-2006, 12:11 AM
This is how you felt last October?

This is from 2004...And we did get a DT that draft. He just didn't help that much in 2005.

Bamaborn-Texasbred
08-22-2006, 12:16 AM
My apologies. I guess I was little too eager to jump on cybertexan.