PDA

View Full Version : Mario Improving

coachdent
11-27-2006, 04:46 PM
The light at the end of the tunnel amongst all of this furor over the Texans can be found in Mario Williams.

He played better Sunday and continued to show improvement. He destroyed Ferguson (whom many thought could have been a Texan) throughout the first quarter. 2 three and outs.

Then he jumped offsides. Apparently, he is the first player in the history of the NFL to do so, because after that...he took a seat on the pine. They benched him....for an ENTIRE SERIES!

#1 draft pick is on the sidelines after his motor was going, he was causing havoc and owning another 1st round draft pick...he is yanked to be taught a lesson.

The Jets THEN embark on a TEN play drive with our #1 draft pick on the sidelines to make it 6-0.

If someone can point out the logic in that one...Let me know. But before you do that, answer me how Mario can then be put out on the field and play the opposite defensive end. Instead of continuing to dominate Ferguson, apparently the Texans thought it would smart to flip him over to the other side (after benching the kid) and have him see what's what over there.

Huh?:francis:
Huh?:francis:
Huh?:tease:

It is a shame that his performance and some really good sticks by the defense get drowned out amongst all the other crap.

Faggins is so up and so terribly down it is really impossible to think he will NOT let someone run past him or pick up 15 yards whenever they need it. Our other DBs haven't been much better. Very frustrating.

But Ryans and Williams have improved this defense dramatically. A team that has forever been an open barn door against the run, has been steadily improving and shutting down decent run games. I believe the Jets ran for a franchise low 27 yards at home. Pretty damn good.

Keep it up Mario and don't jump offsides anymore...you may be on the bench for the entire half against Oakland. :mario2:

thunderkyss
11-27-2006, 04:47 PM
And he was playing hurt.......

& Fergey needed help.....

Kaiser Toro
11-27-2006, 04:49 PM
Good post Coach. We have much to be thankful for as the future has arrived on the defense. Now we just need to get the supporting cast in line this off season.

TheCD
11-27-2006, 04:59 PM
Then he jumped offsides. Apparently, he is the first player in the history of the NFL to do so, because after that...he took a seat on the pine. They benched him....for an ENTIRE SERIES!

Obviously hindsight it 20-20, so I don't think it helps to point out that after we made that change the Jets started going hog-wild on us...I think there was more than just that one incident that led to that.

However, I'll try and make a case for the benching, although I don't know for certain. Perhaps the 2 were having a heated exchange of some sort and Ferguson managed to get inside Mario's head...which caused him to jump. Regardless of this though...Kubiak or Smith might have seen that Mario was getting a little too worked up and when he jumped offsides they sat him down the rest of the series to cool him off. Just a thought, but who knows?

coachdent
11-27-2006, 05:13 PM
They have taken Mario off the field a lot this season. They have taken him out for an entire series many times throughout the year and we just happened to get pounded when that happens.

If anyone was in anyone's head on Sunday it was Mario in Ferguson becuase he bull rushed him, slapped him aside, beat him with a hard rush inside and basically did whatever he wanted against him. It was every bit the reason why we drafted him #1. Just dominant. And then they yanked him. And Ferguson saw his nightmare go away. And then we put him on the other side and Ferguson remained happy throughout the rest of the game.

What an opportunity to stick Mario on a fellow rookie and show just how far he has come. He would have had a field day with Ferguson. Who is the most feared defensive end? The guy on the right in full sight of the QB? Or could it be the guy to the left coming off his blindside working on a rookie and smacking your shoulder up? Do you THINK we did the Jets and Pennigton a HUGE favor by taking Mario and putting on the other side? They can TELL you anything that they want to today or never... that was a hideous mistake.

So if he rips apart 2nd year tackle Robert Gallery on Sunday, what would be the logic in flipping him over to the other side? You'll know I'll be screaming if that happens!

dat_boy_yec
11-27-2006, 06:39 PM
I don't know if that's the reason per say that they benched him. They've done this throughout the season. Their logic is to keep him fresh. Earlier in the yr. We had Mario and Weaver in one series then put in Babin and Kalu or Peek. I've never been a fan of this rotation as players time on the field is cut. However I don't mind him taking off a series it's just that they do it on every other series that gets to me. We got the personnel to have a solid rotation with Weaver, Babin, and Mario. Like a lot of people have already said though he should be put in a position to dominate and this hasn't been happening. I don't know the reason's they try to get everyone on the field, but if they think their doing anybody favors they need to look at the W-L column and figure out how to get more W's.

edo783
11-27-2006, 06:41 PM
A lot of what Kubes does seems to me to be pointed towards next year. trying to make guys diciplined and aware. Also might be trying to keep Mario's foot in mind.

DontTreadOnMe
11-27-2006, 07:34 PM
i couldnt agree with you more on the benching of mario. if kubiak is trying to "teach lessons", wouldnt our whole football team be on the bench (besides demeco)?? what about when one of our offensive lineman (i think salaam) had 4 freaking false start penalties in one game?? in regards to faggins, i think his play has been pretty good considering he had no camp, and no preseason. he didnt play well against the jets, but our defense has drastically improved since he has returned. he is a good cb, not flashy or great,... but i'll take him just about anyday.

powerfuldragon
11-27-2006, 08:10 PM
He's a rook. That's how you should treat a rook. make him feel like crap. teach him a lesson. ...

ps. plantar fascitis (sp?) hurts like a b. perhaps they sat him to rest his widdle heels.

SESupergenius
11-28-2006, 11:41 AM
Maybe the benching really is two fold. To bring Mario in for a quick class session and to give him break from his toe problems. I am please however with the effort Mario is giving and the guy is learning every week, seems to be getting stronger as the season unfolds. Ryans still is the best thing on the field that we have to offer. He makes great run reads and his pursuit towards the sidelines is spot on.