PDA

View Full Version : Doubts about Donovan

texan279
11-24-2006, 08:53 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/don_banks/11/21/mcnabb/index.html

As yet another mid-November injury sidelines him -- for the third time in five seasons -- it's getting ever more difficult to beat back the creeping notion that we might have already seen the best days of Donovan McNabb.

To some, that may sound either overly dramatic or patently unfair, given that McNabb won't turn 30 until Saturday. But that doesn't mean it's not valid to consider whether McNabb might have already peaked and is now headed downhill.

In the coming weeks, McNabb faces surgery to repair his torn ACL in his right knee, and then the commencement of an 8-10 month rehabilitation. As his 1999 draft classmate Daunte Culpepper has proved in the past year, bouncing back from knee surgery is not automatic for a quarterback, especially for one like McNabb, whose legs are a major part of his game.

When you throw in the broken ankle that cost McNabb the final six games of the 2002 regular season, and the sports hernia which shortened his 2005 season to nine games, the wear-and-tear factor on No. 5's body is building up to a not insignificant level. (And we haven't even mentioned the mental toll that the Terrell Owens fiasco took on McNabb in '05, which was truly his lost year).

Will McNabb play again? Of course he will, and chances are he'll play pretty well. But it's not a stretch to say that 2007 might wind up being all about his recovery from knee surgery, and that means it could be 2008 -- his 10th year in the league -- before we know whether we'll ever see the old McNabb again.

WWJD
11-24-2006, 09:01 AM
I am NOT a Eagles fan but I've often wondered with McNabb at some point if he'll just retire. All those injuries have to take a toll.

jgl35
11-24-2006, 03:09 PM
I am an Ealges fan and what has to change now is the system they use. They can no longer just use an offence of two men (McNabb and Westbrook), and pass 65% of the time.
Over the past few years, the Ealges have drafted more then their share of O. linemen. McNabb being mobil has gotten away and bought time on missed blocks. If he is able to come back, I think this is the biggest thing he will lose to the bad knee.
It is now time to find out if all these O lineman are as good as the Eagles hoped they would be. Not only in pass blocking but run blocking as well.
This team is going to have to run the ball now, and if they can't, they are in deep trouble.

jgl35
11-24-2006, 03:23 PM
Kind of a strange fact about McNabb.
Broken ankle Nov 17, 02
Sports hernia Nov, 14, 05
ACL Nov 19, 06
If he does come back, he should sit those 5 days out.

AndreRulz
11-24-2006, 08:49 PM
I doubt if he comes back he can ever be as good as before just look at daunte.

Carr Bombed
11-24-2006, 08:59 PM
I wouldn't compare McNabb to Duante. McNabb is a much better passer and thats why he'll be able to get by. When Duante lost Moss he sucked, McNabb never really had anybody to throw to and it didn't matter.

Will McNabb lose mobility...yes
Will he still have the mobility to make a play here and there on 3rd and 5 or 6 for a 1st down.....yes, just not as often.