PDA

View Full Version : Broncos ready to go with Cutler

Kaiser Toro
11-22-2006, 07:48 PM
http://nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9823256

snippet:
(Nov. 22, 2006) -- Shortly after the holiday season begins, so will the Jay Cutler era.

After Jake Plummer starts Thursday night against the Kansas City Chiefs, the Broncos are likely to turn over their starting quarterback job to Cutler, their highly touted 2006 first-round draft choice, who then would make his debut on Sunday night, Dec. 3, against the Seattle Seahawks, according to sources close to the situation.

The Cutler era very well might have started sooner had the Broncos not been working on an abbreviated schedule this week, in one of the NFL's toughest road venues. Denver plays at Kansas City in the first live regular-season game televised on NFL Network and one team official said he thought the Broncos would have started Cutler if the team were playing on a Sunday instead of a Thursday

Carr Bombed
11-22-2006, 07:57 PM
Cutler to Walker is going to be a dangerous combination. Cutler has a live acurrate arm.

edo783
11-22-2006, 11:19 PM
If Jake does a bang up job and they win at KC, I doubt they change. They lose because Jake does poorly, then I couldmaybe see it. Jake pretty much has to play well and consistantly to keep his job. They are in the playoff hunt, so I don't think they are going to change to a rookie QB mid season unless Jake craps it up.

TexanSam
11-22-2006, 11:22 PM
Why would they make a change now? They're 7-3 and only one game back in the AFC West. Plummer hasn't played well this season, but despite his struggles they're still having a good year. It's one thing handing the reins to a rookie QB if the team is already out of it, but the Broncos are in a playoff chase. I wouldn't make the move if I were Mike Shanahan. Too risky.

mexican_texan
11-23-2006, 12:04 AM
Cutler will struggle, just as Plummer has. The defense and running game will continue to get the Broncos wins, but now they get to see the rookie QB that plays better than most veterans...in the preseason. Don't see how they stuck with Plummer as long as they did.

Huge
11-23-2006, 08:42 AM
Cutler my struggle but how would that be any different than Plummer? With Cutler, at least you know there's a good chance he's going to improve as time goes on. With Plummer, what you see is what you get.

Same situation in Dallas with Bledsoe/Romo.

thunderkyss
11-23-2006, 09:25 AM
Cutler my struggle but how would that be any different than Plummer? With Cutler, at least you know there's a good chance he's going to improve as time goes on. With Plummer, what you see is what you get.

Same situation in Dallas with Bledsoe/Romo.

The only thing I don't like about the situation, is that (IMHO) it says Kubiak didn't fix anything. Jake was an Above avg QB who had picked up the habit of trying to do to much, making mistakes, and hurting his team. and he is still an above avg QB who had picked up the habit of trying to do to much, making mistakes, and hurting his team.

Did bad Jake show up this year because Kubiak left?? Or was it because that's just who he is.

I also find it hard to believe that a 7-3 team would point to bad QB play as the reason they lost 3 games..... I mean didn't the defense give up a few big touchdowns to the same guy?? didn't another guy fumble the ball?? didn't Jake make some hella good plays that kept them in the game?? isn't it a team sport in Denver??

Kaiser Toro
11-23-2006, 10:12 AM
It is interesting to note that good teams and bad teams make QB changes. The Texans who have been the worst team the last five years do not make a change. We are just striving to be a bad team at this point, but with Carr I am not sure we will get to that category.

kastofsna
11-23-2006, 06:13 PM
i expect cutler to show flashes of brilliances immediately.

thunderkyss
11-23-2006, 10:43 PM
Again.... Jake's stat line looked very familiar. They had 38 yards rushing, and their defense gave up over 200 yards on the ground.

But the QB is playing poorly??

I don't get it.

Huge
11-23-2006, 11:56 PM
25/39, 216 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT

He had another INT on a very poorly thrown ball that was nullified by a penalty that took place on the other side of the field.

216 yards on 25 completions tell me he's not effectively getting the ball downfield.

That is a very familiar stat line for Plummer. Which is another indication it's time for a change.

thunderkyss
11-24-2006, 08:52 AM
25/39, 216 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT

He had another INT on a very poorly thrown ball that was nullified by a penalty that took place on the other side of the field.

216 yards on 25 completions tell me he's not effectively getting the ball downfield.

That is a very familiar stat line for Plummer. Which is another indication it's time for a change.

My point is....... in Houston, we'd correctly identify the problem as a poor running game, or poor defense. A QB can only do so much, when the PA doesn't work because of a lack of a running game.

kastofsna
11-24-2006, 09:26 AM
];508621']What if he does not and Denver drops of the hunt........... hrmmmmmm

thin line shannahan. Very thin line.
what if he doesn't and plays as poorly as plummer has in their wins? they just need to run the ball.

kastofsna
11-24-2006, 11:56 AM
yea