View Full Version : HPF:Kubiac's first stand

Wolf
11-18-2006, 05:46 PM
http://www.houstonprofootball.com/slant/slant75.html

November 17, 2006
Kubiak's First Stand
by Ric Sweeney
HoustonProFootball.com

He had to rip the roster down to its core, jettisoning one miserable player after another. He undertook the seemingly thankless task of rebuilding a shell-shocked former golden boy quarterback with skyís the limit talent who endured having his future brutally beaten out of him for four solid years. He had to overhaul the offense... and defense, installing time-tested, proven systems on both sides of the ball that actually maximized available talent and put players in a position to succeed. And he began the process of filling the locker room with a mix of youthful promise and veteran know-how, stocking a barren roster with actual talent.

In other words, Gary Kubiak had to cram everything the previous regime never got around to doing, all into an exhaustive first nine months on the job. And not surprisingly, the initial returns on his efforts during the seasonís first eight weeks looked discombobulated, inferior, and all too often a lot like the team he was brought in to exorcise and raise from the dead. It didnít help that the NFL apparently took no mercy on the poor guy, handing the Texans a brutal opening schedule against nine teams that have gone a combined 43-34 so far this year.

the wonger need food
11-18-2006, 05:58 PM
This one-step-forward, two-steps-back routine isn't going to fly anymore. It's time to keep stepping forward... like we should have done against Tennessee and NY. And like we should do this weekend.

Double Barrel
11-18-2006, 08:34 PM
2-14 is almost the lowest you can get in the NFL. Nobody can change that overnight. I think Kubiak is going to be the coach that will bring winning records to this franchise. It's just going to take awhile to build the team that can implement his vision.

aj.
11-18-2006, 08:42 PM
We're almost to that point where the Oilers were under Glanville in late '86 when after a 1-8 start, they won their last 4 home games to finish 5-11 and going to football games became fun again.

TexanSam
11-19-2006, 01:20 AM
2-14 is almost the lowest you can get in the NFL. Nobody can change that overnight. I think Kubiak is going to be the coach that will bring winning records to this franchise. It's just going to take awhile to build the team that can implement his vision.

I remember reading an article on Sports Illustrated and the title was something like "10 Future Super Bowl winning head coaches". Among them was Gary Kubiak. I'm right on with you. Kubiak is the coach that's going to lead the Texans to the playoffs. To the Super Bowl is a whole different matter, but I feel very confident in having Coach Kubes leading the Texans! :yahoo:

wolfscar
11-19-2006, 08:06 AM
November 17, 2006
Kubiak's First Stand
by Ric Sweeney
HoustonProFootball.com

He had to rip the roster down to its core, jettisoning one miserable player after another. He undertook the seemingly thankless task of rebuilding a shell-shocked former golden boy quarterback with sky’s the limit talent who endured having his future brutally beaten out of him for four solid years. He had to overhaul the offense... and defense, installing time-tested, proven systems on both sides of the ball that actually maximized available talent and put players in a position to succeed. And he began the process of filling the locker room with a mix of youthful promise and veteran know-how, stocking a barren roster with actual talent.

In other words, Gary Kubiak had to cram everything the previous regime never got around to doing, all into an exhaustive first nine months on the job. And not surprisingly, the initial returns on his efforts during the season’s first eight weeks looked discombobulated, inferior, and all too often a lot like the team he was brought in to exorcise and raise from the dead. It didn’t help that the NFL apparently took no mercy on the poor guy, handing the Texans a brutal opening schedule against nine teams that have gone a combined 43-34 so far this year.

Absolutely 100% spot on.

This one-step-forward, two-steps-back routine isn't going to fly anymore. It's time to keep stepping forward... like we should have done against Tennessee and NY. And like we should do this weekend.

JMO, but I didn't see any 'two-steps-back'. Carr crumbled against TN and he got benched - accountability, an important step for the coaches to take. Against NY we outplayed a superbowl hopeful through most aspects of the game. The playcalling on the last drive wasn't a step forward but it was standing still, rather than the @$$-backward, stumbling fall on the face we've seen in previous years.

I'd rather have a slow, stable, hyper-conservative season this year to build for a solid, wildcard challenging season next year than have a couple of dramatic drives through the stretch and end up being right back below .500 come Christmas 2007.