PDA

View Full Version : Who Should we Get in the Draft?

was385
11-18-2006, 05:25 PM
I think Jake Long would be a perfect fit in the first round. He is a 320 lb tackle and probably the best in the country out of Michigan. We could move one of like Winston, Long, etc. into guard. We need a lineman and try and get a FS in the second round. Who do you guys think we should take

Farough
11-18-2006, 05:29 PM
I was thinking Leon Hall before seeing him in todays game.. he looks so lost...

the wonger need food
11-18-2006, 05:41 PM
Lang won't go in the first round and is probably a 3rd round prospect at this point. There are several LT's rated higher than he is, most notably Joe Thomas (Wisconsin) and Levi Brown (Penn St.)

nunusguy
11-18-2006, 05:52 PM
I think Jake Long would be a perfect fit in the first round. He is a 320 lb tackle and probably the best in the country out of Michigan.
Most tackles are > 300 lbs.
And there are 49 other states, lets not limit our search for tackles to 1 state.

Titan "Tack" Fan
11-18-2006, 06:23 PM
I was thinking Leon Hall before seeing him in todays game.. he looks so lost...

He looked horrible today

Hulk75
11-18-2006, 06:27 PM
Adrian Peterson
Laron Landry
Gaines Adams, yea I said it.

Mario and Adams?!?!?!!!!!

NEROtheZERO
11-18-2006, 06:31 PM
Adrian Peterson
Laron Landry
Gaines Adams, yea I said it.

Mario and Adams?!?!?!!!!!

If we were going DL I'd rather pick up a monster tackle in a later round.

the wonger need food
11-18-2006, 06:42 PM
1.) Outside LB - Obviously.
2.) Defensive Lineman - Payne is done. TJ is probably done with this organization and probably earns recognition as its biggest bust.
3.) Offensive Tackle - Depending on how Winston performs and Spencer's progress.
4.) Safety - I can't tell if our current safeties are any good. They don't make many plays, but they aren't as bad as Matt Stevens.
4.) RB - Lundy doesn't look like the answer and Domanick is probably done. Hoping for Gado to step up and play like he did last year.
5.) QB - Patience is starting to run thin with Carr and Rosenfels isn't a legitimate predecesor.
6.) WR - Need to find a young #2 if Mathis doesn't pan out. Walter is probably a career #3 and Moulds will only be around a few years.

hot pickle
11-18-2006, 06:44 PM
like i've been sayin Daymeion Hughes is our guy, look for him tonight against USC, hes gonna have a field day going against Jarrett and Smith

the wonger need food
11-18-2006, 06:47 PM
The only thing we know for certain is that the Texans won't draft anyone listed in this thread...

TexanSam
11-18-2006, 06:50 PM
I think it would be funny if we drafted Gaines Adams. That would make 3 defensive linemen drafted in the 1st round in three consecutive drafts. I wouldn't be that opposed to it though. Gaines, Mario, Weaver (moving to DT) and maybe TJ would probably make for a good D-line. That said, we need a LB and secondary help even more. I don't know who the top prospects are at those positions, but whoever they are, they can help us.

TexanFanInCC
11-18-2006, 07:16 PM
if we ever needed a QB, not that we do, id take troy smith!

MasterC25
11-18-2006, 07:44 PM
Could you imagine if we pick up Paul Poz. from Penn state as our weakside linebacker. Him with Demeco would tear this league up for the next 10-12 years. I can only imagine

JDizzle
11-18-2006, 08:25 PM

After his bowl performance last year against ND I've thought he's the best QB in the country. Quinn is not even close to him IMO. Troy Smith = Oakland Raider in 2007.

SAMURAITEXAN
11-18-2006, 09:16 PM
OLB,DT,DB,OL. I think our weakest position is OLB we need someone can work with DeMeco. DT is banged up. DB we need onemore really good DB from draft or FA. OL we can't get enough of them. Especially C,G. Flanagan is getting old and perhaps a few more years left in him. And Kicker or Punter anyone? A recent performance of these two made me a bit nervous.

hot pickle
11-18-2006, 09:50 PM
if we can get kevin kolb in the 2nd day i would say why not, Kubiak would probably have a good time teachin him, or if troy smith drops to the 2nd round i would take him to

but daymeion hughes or LaRon Landry would be my dream

BradK10
11-18-2006, 10:24 PM
Paul P. from Penn State or Laron Landry

We need a playmaker safety. "Can't Cover" Brown makes me sick.

hot pickle
11-18-2006, 10:36 PM
Dude, what are you smokin? There is no way Troy Smith drops to the second round. There's only like a 1 and 32 chance of THAT happening.:tease:
But you would have to be a tard not to take him if he did.

I would like to see us pick up an OLB,FS,and OL on the first day. On the second day we should go OL ,DL, K, WR/RB.

I trust Kubes to make the best decisions for this team.I think he and R.Smith will be bringing alot of talent into this franchise in the future. If they do half as good as they did this season we will be in real good shape in 07 and 08! GO NEW TEXANS!!!:yahoo:

thats why i said IF he did, we better take him

fdknuckles
11-18-2006, 10:36 PM
IMO we are seriously shallow in our CB's and safeties. I wouldn't mind picking up Griffen from Texas to allow Dunta a little more play making time. When we had Aaron Glen, Dunta was the weak side DB and make some hella plays and got what 6 picks his first year. Lets free him up again and put a heavy hitter in our defensive back field.

beerlover
11-19-2006, 12:24 AM
the big OT from Michigan, Jake Long was impressive today. excellent pass protection and paving lanes for Hart.

Leon Hall got burned a couple times by Ginn but who doesnt, he did make a nice shoe string tackle once, I would be ok if the Texans drafted him. CB rankings usually change after the combine anyway.

LeRon Landry had another solid game (7 tackles, 5 assisted) he should be a top 15 pick (Texans could be in the 11-15 range if they show they can beat the Bills tomorrow who are sitting right now at #11).

LORK 88
11-19-2006, 02:20 AM
I didnt come away impressed with Jake Long, I think another year could help him greatly. He did good running the ball, but the pocket collapsed several times on Henne and Long was part of it afew times. With that said, I say Landry. He's been solid all year and thats exactly what we need - someone who can be consistent and counted on. BTW, is it just me or is Polz not the same he was last year? He's still a good LB, but it seems like he isnt as good and is riding last years hype . . .

whiskeyrbl
11-19-2006, 06:08 AM
I didnt come away impressed with Jake Long, I think another year could help him greatly. He did good running the ball, but the pocket collapsed several times on Henne and Long was part of it afew times. With that said, I say Landry. He's been solid all year and thats exactly what we need - someone who can be consistent and counted on. BTW, is it just me or is Polz not the same he was last year? He's still a good LB, but it seems like he isnt as good and is riding last years hype . . .

Pusluszny is coming off a knee injury,he's gonna be just fine. I would take him if I could, or another solid LB in rd 2, I think we need to look at DB's in rd.1.

DeclanJr
11-19-2006, 08:14 AM

We do need a QB...

brewhaus
11-19-2006, 08:19 AM
I didnt come away impressed with Jake Long . . .

I thoughtg Long played a good game considering the guy playing across from him was "Off the Hook !!" Vernon Gholston (So. from Detroit) had a GREAT game...He looked like possible OL material, he had a great bull rush.
6'4" , 260 lbs. That kid is someone to keeep an eye on. :twocents:

wolfscar
11-19-2006, 09:20 AM
I think it would be funny if we drafted Gaines Adams. That would make 3 defensive linemen drafted in the 1st round in three consecutive drafts. I wouldn't be that opposed to it though. Gaines, Mario, Weaver (moving to DT) and maybe TJ would probably make for a good D-line. That said, we need a LB and secondary help even more. I don't know who the top prospects are at those positions, but whoever they are, they can help us.

I'm hoping that we trade TJ for either a solid, experienced DT or a mid-high draft pick this year. He's just not very good. I don't see us drafting D-Line high enough to get Adams though. There are still so many holes in our team and between Payne, Maddox, Mario, Weaver, Peek and Babin I think we've got enough quality to put together a decent, versatile D-Line.

I think we can go one of two ways:
1) Solidify the O-Line - draft high and multiple times. I'd like to see us lose several of our current players in the offseason and start someone solid at Center. Maybe that's Hodgdon, who knows, but it's not Flanagan and I prefer McKinney as a plug-in backup than a starter.
2) Work on the rest of the Defense - draft a Landry-type safety in the first round (hence move CC Brown to SS with Earl where he belongs), a quick, aggresive OLB (Posluszny would be great - especially opposite a FA like Briggs) and THEN move to OL for depth and a combination of DT, WR, K to round things off. That whole scenario depends on us picking up an Asante Samuel calibre CB in FA, though, because we need that spot filled.

I think which way we go depends on how highly the coaching staff rate our young OLs. If they think Hodgdon can start and Spencer comes back at 100% then we could start Spencer, Pitts, Hodgdon, Weary, Winston, left to right. Personally, I think the quality of our O-Line next season depends more on whether we can keep Mike Sherman than it does on the draft. :twocents:

Goldeagle
11-19-2006, 10:41 AM
First Round: IMPACT PLAYER, whoever it may be

2nd Round: best OLB or Safety. Be nice to add someone with Demeco and get a Safety with some speed or better reading skills than we have now.

3rd Round: the other choice in the 2nd. If you took an OLB take a Safety and vice versa here

4th Round: Defensive Tackle

5th-7th: Best player available

beerlover
11-19-2006, 04:47 PM
I didnt come away impressed with Jake Long, I think another year could help him greatly. He did good running the ball, but the pocket collapsed several times on Henne and Long was part of it afew times.

you have to be kidding :joker: Long was dominant, he did not allow even one of Hennes four sacks it came from the RT & Center positions. he was wiping out the left side continuesly with Hart running behind him for over 140 yards w/6.2 avg., even Manningham avg. 6.5 yards. In pass blocking he whipped up on the DE/DT (usually on the ground) giving Henne more than enough time to find deep routes (which he over threw several times). In essence the #1 team in College was coming with everything they had (knowing Henne was going to pass, down 14 @ half) yet he sealed off the left side completely. Now I'm not sold just yet on Jake Long being a franchise tackle in the NFL just yet, but to say that performance was anything but impressive is inacurate at best.

On another note after watching the Texans get burned deep, twice early today against Evans I'm rethinking the value of drafting the best CB available. At this point, however there is no conclusive evidence who that will be, it would be nice to find someone strong enough to lock up in coverage & run support as well have 4.3 speed :superman:

ChrisG
11-19-2006, 05:14 PM
CB,Safety,CB,Safety

Keep Dunta and get rid of the rest.

after todays loss...damn:hairpull:

we need to dump Faggins, and draft a FS first round...we can keep Brown but only as a 2nd string FS

and while we at it, we may want to look into a new FB, 2 game losing fumbles is too much for a team that can't afford to have any...i'm sure we can find a good pass/run blocking FB who knows how to catch, oh and HOLD ONTO THE GOD DAMN FOOTBALL

bah007
11-19-2006, 05:19 PM
after todays loss...damn:hairpull:

we need to dump Faggins, and draft a FS first round...we can keep Brown but only as a 2nd string FS

and while we at it, we may want to look into a new FB, 2 game losing fumbles is too much for a team that can't afford to have any...i'm sure we can find a good pass/run blocking FB who knows how to catch, oh and HOLD ONTO THE GOD DAMN FOOTBALL

But just last week this board was convinced that Faggins was THE difference-maker on our D. I have never been too high on him. I think he is no better than a nickel corner.

I think those 2 fumbles by Cook are the first 2 of his career. I have never heard of a team cutting a guy because they think that 2 fumbles is too much for 1 season.

ChrisG
11-19-2006, 05:50 PM
But just last week this board was convinced that Faggins was THE difference-maker on our D. I have never been too high on him. I think he is no better than a nickel corner.

I think those 2 fumbles by Cook are the first 2 of his career. I have never heard of a team cutting a guy because they think that 2 fumbles is too much for 1 season.

Faggins has never sat well with me, i think he is okay for our team but not as our RCB, he would make a good #3 or 4 CB, but we need someone a little better to play off Robinson...and in terms of Cook, i'm not sure on cutting him but the texans should keep thier eyes open, especially if this problem persists. IK its only 2 fumbles, but like todays he was inside the 10, in game where we were only favored by 2.5 pts.

YoungTexanFan
11-19-2006, 06:07 PM

I have been the most anti-faggins person on this board for quite a while. He is trash and showed it today. He came back, got a pure luck interception, and acts like he's hot ******. He is horrible, and I've been preaching this since last year at least. Why would nobody believe me then?

edo783
11-19-2006, 06:10 PM
Faggins is a pretty good nickle back, but only a marginal CB. Cook fumbles have come at extremily inopertune times. I don't think he has much of a history of fumbles and he blocks well.

ChrisG
11-19-2006, 06:14 PM
Faggins is a pretty good nickle back, but only a marginal CB. Cook fumbles have come at extremily inopertune times. I don't think he has much of a history of fumbles and he blocks well.

he seems like a solid blocker...just hold onto the ball in the redzone...but it was only 1 mistake, a minor one within a game of massive mistakes called the texans secondary

YoungTexanFan
11-19-2006, 06:23 PM

I would never use Faggins and "good" in the same sentence, but he is only slightly below average as a 4th CB in the league.

Bubbajwp
11-19-2006, 08:59 PM
Round 1 Laron Landry
Round 2 Which ever LB falls
Round 3 DT or Oline
Round 4 Punter or FB
Round 5 Punter or FB

Make a huge push to sign a top FA CB.

or

Round 1 Laron Landry
Round 2 Aaron Ross
Rest of draft goes the same.

Make a huge push to sign Lance Briggs.

bah007
11-19-2006, 09:01 PM
Round 1 Laron Landry
Round 2 Which ever LB falls
Round 3 DT or Oline
Round 4 Punter or FB
Round 5 Punter or FB

Make a huge push to sign a top FA CB.

or

Round 1 Laron Landry
Round 2 Aaron Ross
Rest of draft goes the same.

Make a huge push to sign Lance Briggs.

I wouldnt waste a pick on a punter in the 4th round.

Sepulveda from Baylor is awesome & he isnt even projected to get drafted.

dat_boy_yec
11-19-2006, 09:06 PM
I don't get why everybody's hating on Faggins. Problem is he's not the best CB on our team, but he was matched up with the opposing best WR on their team. The guy is solid and can handle secondary option receivers, but our coaches need to put them in positions to succeed and putting the second best corner on the best WR is not gonna make the CB look good ever. He's not an elite talent, but he's above avg. and deserves to start and also brings intangibles to the table. On those two plays where he was burnt the question should be where were the safeties? Maybe that's what we should be focusing on.

Bubbajwp
11-19-2006, 09:07 PM
Whatever it takes to get somebody who doesnt max out at 40 yards.

dat_boy_yec
11-19-2006, 09:17 PM
What we need is help at DT and FS. Those are our two most glaring needs. If you disagree you should take a closer look at the team. T.J. was playing at an avg. level when he was starting and Payne is no spring chicken. The guys we got now are back-ups and bluntly said we'll have to take a DT in 1 of our 2 rds. even if we do sign a FA. While the popular pick would be Landry one could argue that we would be better served with an Alan Branch.

threetoedpete
11-19-2006, 09:29 PM

I concur. I'm not in the loop and I don't know. Faggins is what he is. With the right personel around him he'll be ok. The safties are, IMHO the problem. I can't believe Richard Smith Called a defense with Faggins on an Island with the other teams fastest guy. If he did and the Safty saw it there should of been a time out called. My book says the over the top responciblity was CC Brown's and he got caught peeping in the back feild. The next one...that was a total team DB bust. He split the seem and we ain't got the speed to recover. Can't draft 'em all to plug all of the holes on the team. I can live with the lack of speed from Faggins. I believe the guy gives everything he's got. And you're correct he is not a front line corner. But the bottom line with him is this...the guys on that side of the ball love the guy. With out him in the line up the D totally suxed. With him...and Mario's push, they played top six defense for six weeks. And that's the bottom line. You don't break up chemistry with a team. Faggin's not going anywhere. Get use to it.

I remeber a couple of seasons ago, DD lad an egg at Reliant and everyone wanted to dump the guy. Might have to be careful...I might of been one of them. Don't remeber. I think part of the problem is Cook is not getting enough touches. If it was me, I'd maske sure he got a couple of touches every half. Even Jesus needed thrity days in the desert to warm up.

threetoedpete
11-19-2006, 09:44 PM
What we need is help at DT and FS. Those are our two most glaring needs. If you disagree you should take a closer look at the team. T.J. was playing at an avg. level when he was starting and Payne is no spring chicken. The guys we got now are back-ups and bluntly said we'll have to take a DT in 1 of our 2 rds. even if we do sign a FA. While the popular pick would be Landry one could argue that we would be better served with an Alan Branch.

I'm with ya. When you're getting fa's off the street to cover a position that's a firm signal you've got a prolem. The only disapointment I had in the TJ's injury was that he missed the opportunity to show us what he's got. If I was a conspiracy guy....I'd be looking at the grassy knoll. Payne goes down, TJ is right beside him. Hmmmmm.

As far as CC Brown is concerned, that experimnet is over for me as of today. The guy is too stupid and slow to be a front line free safty in the NFL. If they cut him monday, it woundn't be to soon for me.

ChrisG
11-19-2006, 10:15 PM
I don't get why everybody's hating on Faggins. Problem is he's not the best CB on our team, but he was matched up with the opposing best WR on their team. The guy is solid and can handle secondary option receivers, but our coaches need to put them in positions to succeed and putting the second best corner on the best WR is not gonna make the CB look good ever. He's not an elite talent, but he's above avg. and deserves to start and also brings intangibles to the table. On those two plays where he was burnt the question should be where were the safeties? Maybe that's what we should be focusing on.

we are saying we need a S first pick, but Faggins shouldn't not be in when the Texans are going with 2 (and maybe not even when we r using 3) CBs. Most teams are going to have more talent then 1 wideout threat, take Cinn - Johnson and H....(however u spell it LOL) or even our division team Indy (Harrison and Wayne) or NO's Horn and Henderson....

so 1 good corner and a "non-elite" CB are not gonna cut it....he deserves to start now, but we should look into someone better. Faggins should be covering a #3 WR, we need a CB with speed and vision to match up against some of the top WR...i wouldn't call him above average in the slightest, he is average

Napa Auto Parts
11-19-2006, 10:34 PM
1. QB to take over we need one badly
2. RB we a legitimate one badly
3.CB Faggins is at best to put it nicely a nickel back

i would be happy is we took any of the positions listed above beside weve gone defense in the 1st round for how many years now if im not mistaken i think we got 4 1st rounders in our defense.

beerlover
11-19-2006, 11:19 PM
CB,Safety,CB,Safety

Keep Dunta and get rid of the rest.

the Texans still need depth, but I get yur drift-

avenged sevenfold kicks ass I'm a huge Trivium fan, hence my avatar :jam:

bah007
11-19-2006, 11:21 PM
You can't have elite players at every positions...

Faggins ain't that bad he can cover the short passes but have troubles with the deep balls, that where a good FS come in to help him when he get burned on a deep pass

Tood bad thats the scouting report on all of our CBs, not just Faggins.

If McCauley or Ross drops to the 2nd we should get them. We need some burners at CB.

painekiller
11-20-2006, 12:38 AM
Could you imagine if we pick up Paul Poz. from Penn state as our weakside linebacker. Him with Demeco would tear this league up for the next 10-12 years. I can only imagine

He is a middle LB this year and played Strongside last year when he won the Butkis. So why do you project him to play the weakside in the pros?

Bearfan Blue and Orange
11-20-2006, 02:35 PM
1.) Outside LB - Obviously.
2.) Defensive Lineman - Payne is done. TJ is probably done with this organization and probably earns recognition as its biggest bust.
3.) Offensive Tackle - Depending on how Winston performs and Spencer's progress.
4.) Safety - I can't tell if our current safeties are any good. They don't make many plays, but they aren't as bad as Matt Stevens.
4.) RB - Lundy doesn't look like the answer and Domanick is probably done. Hoping for Gado to step up and play like he did last year.
5.) QB - Patience is starting to run thin with Carr and Rosenfels isn't a legitimate predecesor.
6.) WR - Need to find a young #2 if Mathis doesn't pan out. Walter is probably a career #3 and Moulds will only be around a few years.

I have great feelings that Kevin will play #2 here eventually before the end of his contract. I truely believe if the Moulds deal did not get done, Kevin is battling and winning out the #2 spot on this roster. Don't get me wrong, it is great that Moulds has come here with his talent and also his veteranism to "mould" these young WRs into the PROS they need to be successful for time to come.

NEROtheZERO
11-20-2006, 02:56 PM
This Buffalo game has only reaffirmed my sentiments.

Our most glaring needs are at OL, CB, and S. We also need help at DT and OLB but not nearly as badly as the OL and DB. I am looking for a huge emphasis on these 2 areas in the draft and FA.

HeartofHouston
11-20-2006, 07:06 PM
Me being a big advocate of defense wins championships.. i say that we go heavy defense on the first day..

1 - Best Cornerback or Best Safety
2 - Best Cornerback or Best Safety (whichever we didn't get in the first)
3 - Best OLB available.

Day 2 stack up..
up on OL and DL..

Texanator14
11-20-2006, 08:43 PM
I stand by grafting Landry, Poslusney, and Brian Leonard. The young o-linemen will mature and will be serviceable at least.

edo783
11-20-2006, 09:29 PM
I stand by grafting Landry, Poslusney, and Brian Leonard. The young o-linemen will mature and will be serviceable at least.

You GRAFT those guys together and that's one heck of a player IMO.:yikes:

Insideop
11-20-2006, 10:30 PM
If we get a DB (maybe Samuel or Clements) and LB (maybe Briggs or Thomas) in FA, then I think we need to focus on the O-line and D-line in the draft. Both lines right now are very thin due to injuries and I doubt Wiegert or Payne will be returning. Also, the ages of some (McKinney, Flanagan, Salaam) on the O-line are a real concern. If Joe Thomas is still on the board when the Texans pick, I think we need to get him. Then we can go after DT in the 2nd round.

If we can't get a good DB in FA, then maybe I can see going for one in the 1st round of the draft. But, in my opinion we have to get OL and DL after that.

What ever happens it will be interesting to see how it plays out :poker: and I'll be keeping an eye on things (FA market and draft picks etc...).

I still think we are about 2 years away from being a really good team. We have too many holes to fill in just 1 more FA/draft. JMHO!

Blake
11-20-2006, 11:49 PM
Just get me a player so I dont have to play Jason Simmons, or CC Brown.

I think we could get a good one in the top of the 2nd round.

I dont like trading up, but maybe trade up for someone like Michael Griffin.

painekiller
11-21-2006, 12:53 AM
rd1)FS/LB - We need a ball hawk or another bad mofo opposite Meco!!
rd2)LB/FS - As I said above, I don't really know whats out there.
rd3)OL - I'm pretty sure this is the area we SUCK in, so keep building depth!
rd4)RB/DL - I say this with an* I don't know what B.Leonard is projected as and I know we need a new DT.
rd5)DT - We really need to start fresh here.
rd6)WR - Hopefully a speedster we can steal late in case Mathis is done.
rd7)BPA - Preferably someone out of Hofstra that is the ROY in '07!

There's alot of maybes in this but I wanted to do it!

IN the 1st I could see us going with Landry FS, Posluszny LB, Branch DT, Hall, CB. Depending on where we pick and how they team ranks these guys.

2nd Take out the position taken before and take the highest ranked guy. Oh you may have to add Leonard here, or maybe Bush.

3rd, Leonard is looking to be a 2nd or 3rd round pick. So if he falls to our 3rd you may need to jump on him. Otherwise LB or DB depending on what was taken before.

2nd day guys, you have to look at BPA at the positions of needs. Also Datish OC may fall to here and he can be an anchor for the OL for years.

Also do not get caught up in the drafting of kickers/punters, Go get UDFA after the draft. But we need to bring in some real competition at those positions.

One point needs to be done, sadly this upcoming draft is shaking out to not be nearly as deep as the last one. So hitting on ever pick is not as likely.

TexansSeminole
11-21-2006, 02:36 AM
LaRon Landry or Michael Griffin.
and
Tony Taylor or Paul Posluzney.

Mysteryhunt
11-21-2006, 03:33 AM
Me being a big advocate of defense wins championships.. i say that we go heavy defense on the first day..

1 - Best Cornerback or Best Safety
2 - Best Cornerback or Best Safety (whichever we didn't get in the first)
3 - Best OLB available.

Day 2 stack up..
up on OL and DL..

I could not agree more!

bah007
11-21-2006, 08:41 AM
IN the 1st I could see us going with Landry FS, Posluszny LB, Branch DT, Hall, CB. Depending on where we pick and how they team ranks these guys.

2nd Take out the position taken before and take the highest ranked guy. Oh you may have to add Leonard here, or maybe Bush.

3rd, Leonard is looking to be a 2nd or 3rd round pick. So if he falls to our 3rd you may need to jump on him. Otherwise LB or DB depending on what was taken before.

2nd day guys, you have to look at BPA at the positions of needs. Also Datish OC may fall to here and he can be an anchor for the OL for years.

Also do not get caught up in the drafting of kickers/punters, Go get UDFA after the draft. But we need to bring in some real competition at those positions.

One point needs to be done, sadly this upcoming draft is shaking out to not be nearly as deep as the last one. So hitting on ever pick is not as likely.

I dont see Datish falling below mid-2nd. Most people have him as the best C in the draft.

YoungTexanFan
11-21-2006, 10:40 AM
Right now, if everything went as YoungTexanFan would have it:

FA:
Clements
Briggs

Draft...assuming we will have pick number 8 for this guess:
1. Gaither
2. McCauley to move to FS
3. Lenord

This is where it's hard to predict right now. From the second day, I'd like to come away with a raw, mean, but talented D-linemen; a center who is better than Hodgen; and the P from Baylor or the best PK available.

canadiantexan
11-21-2006, 11:43 AM
My wish list.

FREE AGENTS

Alex Briggs-LB, Chicago(FA)
Asante Samuel-CB, New England(FA) only because Clements will cost too much for my liking

DRAFT

RD.1) Leon Hall-CB, Michigan (RD.1) or Landry-FS, LSU
RD.2) Merriweather-FS Miami(RD.2) or top CB if Landry in first
RD.3-RD.4) BPA of following positions. Offensive line, Running back, Linebacker
RD.5-RD.7) BPA

Just my :twocents:

bah007
11-21-2006, 11:51 AM
My wish list.

FREE AGENTS

Asante Samuel-CB, New England(FA) only because Clements will cost too much for my liking

DRAFT

RD.5-RD.7) BPA

(Lance) Briggs. Not Alex.

canadiantexan
11-21-2006, 12:00 PM
(Lance) Briggs. Not Alex.

Thanks one of my best friends is named Alex Briggs must of had a mind fart.

kastofsna
11-21-2006, 12:04 PM
briggs says he will go to miami if he can't get a deal done with chicago. probably just spin from rosenhaus, but we'll see.

canadiantexan
11-21-2006, 12:06 PM
briggs says he will go to miami if he can't get a deal done with chicago. probably just spin from rosenhaus, but we'll see.

It's only November please dont burst my bubble yet.

bah007
11-21-2006, 12:08 PM

Rosenhaus is the king of that.

He is the biggest ***** in the history of sports agents but he gets his guys the money.

nunusguy
11-21-2006, 12:12 PM
I really think Kubiak might go DLine again with his top pick.
Remember, they almost always don't draft high, certainly not real high, on
OLineman. Even tackles.
And as important as corners and LBs are, usually don't want to go top 5 (which is where we may be) on one of those players.
The real sleeper would be Adrian Peterson. Kubiak of course doesn't like to
draft high on backs (for refererecne see 2006 Draft). But the old man, Bob McNair, may say I've got to put some butts in the seats in 2007 and I need
a bigtime running back, a Texas native to do that this year.

painekiller
11-21-2006, 02:46 PM
I dont see Datish falling below mid-2nd. Most people have him as the best C in the draft.

He is being ranked by thehuddlereport as #113, a mid 3rd rounder. I said he could drop, realistically 15 spots, to the 4th round. Eric Winston ranked before the draft by most sites as the 33rd best player was not taken until #67. Saying a guy might drop half a round is not out of line.

Also Draftdaddy.com has him ranked as the 4th best senior center. But that is only 2 sources. Remember the best center in the draft often falls to the 2nd round, it is just NFL economics.

YoungTexanFan
11-21-2006, 04:10 PM
Thats an interesting point you make about McNair wanting Peterson. But I also think he is going to allow Kubiak to make his own decision especially after the Draft we had this year.

I think we need to establish his zone blocking scheme with players who can execute it correctly before we get any high priced RB. Just think how bad Reggie would have been mauled running behind our O-line this season. Both of his legs would be broken and he'd have 10 broken ribs.:crutch:

I realy like B.Leonard of Rutgers!!He would be a perfect FB in our system.
?Anyone have a good idea when he's projected to go?

Lenord is looking at probally a 3rd-4th round grade. He is the best FB within the last 4-5 years, and he just happens to be in a very deep draft.

painekiller
11-21-2006, 04:27 PM
Lenord is looking at probally a 3rd-4th round grade. He is the best FB within the last 4-5 years, and he just happens to be in a very deep draft.

I've could see Leonard rising to the late 2nd, but most sites have him as a solid 3rd round pick.

I am wondering where you have heard this is a deep draft? The talent available this (2007) year is nowhere near last years draft. Last year guys taken in the late 2nd would be 1st rounder this year.

TexansSeminole
11-21-2006, 04:42 PM

OMG YTF plz stop sayin Lenord...My last name is Leonard, I have to say something.

As for his grade I'd say he is a early 3rd now...probably will rise to 2nd after the combine and depending on how he does in their bowl game.

YoungTexanFan
11-21-2006, 04:59 PM
OMG YTF plz stop sayin Lenord...My last name is Leonard, I have to say something.

As for his grade I'd say he is a early 3rd now...probably will rise to 2nd after the combine and depending on how he does in their bowl game.

lol, sorry man. Spelling has never been my strong point. What I pride myself on is knowledge of the players, not how to spell their names.

YoungTexanFan
11-21-2006, 05:00 PM
I've could see Leonard rising to the late 2nd, but most sites have him as a solid 3rd round pick.

I am wondering where you have heard this is a deep draft? The talent available this (2007) year is nowhere near last years draft. Last year guys taken in the late 2nd would be 1st rounder this year.

This is a deep draft. The first round this year is very stocked which pushes a lot of guys down, and there are a lot of guys with second round grades who will be pushed to the later rounds this year as well. This is assuming most of the top JRs declare.

beerlover
12-06-2006, 09:38 AM
Thanks! A7X does KA!! Synyster Gates is one of the best guitarist out there! Sorry to say I don't know Trivium yet but I will keep an ear out for them!

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.co.uk/video/showVideo.aspx?fileID=2073

Texian
12-06-2006, 10:59 AM
lol, sorry man. Spelling has never been my strong point. What I pride myself on is knowledge of the players, not how to spell their names.

YTF your knowledge is mostly opinion and everyone has one of them. Some are stronger than others. Opinions do not make us knowledgeable. However one's ability to spell is a good indicator on how knowledgeable or less knowledgeable one might be.

HomeBred_Texan
12-06-2006, 11:10 AM
YTF your knowledge is mostly opinion and everyone has one of them. Some are stronger than others. Opinions do not make us knowledgeable. However one's ability to spell is a good indicator on how knowledgeable or less knowledgeable one might be.

LOL, so true, so true...

It's like the old saying, opinions are like ........s, everyone has one... LOL

YoungTexanFan
12-06-2006, 09:57 PM

I do input opinion a lot, but I don't just pull an opinion out of my arse. I look at it in regards to our team and I study the prospects A LOT. I usually have a page long scouting report on every player through the 4th round or so and a half page on the rest. What I post also comes from watching hours of that film and disecting it. I also post based on stats, schemes, projections by professionals. Saying I post opinion is true to an extent, but ignorant to say that is all.

Some people are able to guess at last names and get them right without looking them up on ESPN or the like, I however, am not one of those select few. I guess and assume the majority of our posters aren't smarta**es like you can will understand the overall point of the post rather than selecting a choice word that happens to be a last name.

threetoedpete
12-08-2006, 12:39 PM

YTF is usually spot on in my book. He's pretty close most of the time. The spell/typing police would have locked me up long ago. I could make a list of people who were inordinalty bad spellers but very intellegent . Rote memory is nothing to be proud of with out the ablity to think. Innuendo and assumption have already marked you for what you are Texian...a man without an argunemt. Need to have a little more in the bag to snag YTF.

Honoring Earl 34
12-08-2006, 12:46 PM
If we could'nt add our opinion ... this would'nt be much of a board .

Bubbajwp
12-08-2006, 01:06 PM
Right now, if everything went as YoungTexanFan would have it:

FA:
Clements
Briggs

Draft...assuming we will have pick number 8 for this guess:
1. Gaither
2. McCauley to move to FS
3. Lenord

This is where it's hard to predict right now. From the second day, I'd like to come away with a raw, mean, but talented D-linemen; a center who is better than Hodgen; and the P from Baylor or the best PK available.
My wish list.

FREE AGENTS

DRAFT

RD.5-RD.7) BPA

Although both of these sound good. Ive got to say your both dreaming. There is no way we could fit the FA's you have us taking and our draft picks under the cap.

El Tejano
12-08-2006, 01:31 PM
I think we should do what we should've done this past year. Trade the pick down.

Right now your The Houston Texans who perhaps messed up by not getting Vince for your fans. If we traded down and got more for our pick, people would've loved what we did in terms of making the team better and we could've avoided the controversy.

This year Peterson might very well be within our grasp and if you don't get that pick it will be even worse this year.

Trading down though, gets you the opportunity to copy what The Jets did and get two offensive lineman which sends the message that once and for all we are going to fix this lineman thing. Or you end up getting more first day picks and that can help us with the depth we need to make this team better.

Honoring Earl 34
12-08-2006, 01:58 PM
FWIW ... The Great Blue North Draft Report has us drafting Branch DT Michican with the 7th pick .

beerlover
12-08-2006, 02:05 PM
How many more years will the Texans be held captive for trying to help David Carr become worthy of that #1 overall pick? is it a franchise LT this year (Thomas)? is it a franchise RB (Peterson)? a new offensive scheme (never mind trying that)?

Since nobody (even Kubiak) has a crystal ball we need to stay the course & complete the defense work first, the groundwork has been planted this past draft its time to finish what already is becoming the strength of the Texans. As some like to say it needs to be a football deceision & whats in the best interest of the team not one individual.

If the Texans finish the job they would net two more playmakers at minimum (looking for db, lb & dl) possibly more via fa. one spot should remain reserved for OL & RB but beyond that a DE like Gains Adams (if he slips that far) or DT Amobi Okoye in the 1st (9th-10th) best possible CB in the second Ryan Smith, Florida or FS Jonathan Hefney Tennessee (both Juniors have not declared yet). 3rd rd. OT Joe Staley, Central Michigan or RB Dwayne Wright, Fresno State (has declared). 4th rd you could start projecting tweeners like OLB to DE or vise versa like Michigan OLB Prescott Burgess, doubt Kevin Kolb slips out of the 2nd rd. but in a situation like him if available here would be the kind of steal you'd be foolish not to jump on.

just an assortment of options from a real assistant amature prospectass :rolleyes:

texansguyinpa
12-08-2006, 03:20 PM
someone said to draft a someone for the secondary, but getting a rookie corner or safty wont solve any of our short-term problems, we should go out and get a guy like micheal lewis of the eagles cause he wont be returning, in the draft i think we should probably start off by getting a running back adrian peterson. I think we should probably get a LT from FA signing, I dont think we should take kevin colb in the 3rd round but we should take a guy like Joe Riscati from James Madison or luc richard from tulane, a sleeper guy like that so we can see if we can groom him into a starter. Another possible situation is to trade to the vikings to get Travaris Jackson, hes a great athlete and should develop into a great player.

painekiller
12-08-2006, 03:35 PM
I think we should probably get a LT from FA signing,

Can you name the guy that might be available that would be your LT? We have been waiting for that guy for 5 years. In the NFL you just do not find a good to great LT going FA. You find Todd Wade and Victor Riley as your options.

Sorry to jump you, but this argument has gotten very old and has been disproven.

Mr. White
12-08-2006, 06:17 PM
This guy

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/28/281718.jpg

YoungTexanFan
12-08-2006, 08:33 PM
Ok, I have returned and have come up with a somewhat new stratagy.

In FA, I want us to Focus in on Clements. I really feel that CB is harder for a rookie to play than LB, see Meco for example. I feel we can get a good OLB in the draft without using a first rounder. I don't feel we can get a starting CB outside of the first round. Thus is the nature of the NFL now. I think we should look at someone like Sands at DT, but not over-invest.

Draft:

After reviewing our needs, it's obvious to see our glaring hole at LT and in general our O-line, but when we review Kubiak and his prior choices, we find that he is not prone to taking O-line early. He is selective in his choices, and I'm hoping Gaither waits a year as he should so we can do as Beerlover said and finish our defense this offseason.

1st round: Trade down to about 12-15 and draft either Nelson (prefered) or Landry, whichever is available. In this trade down I'd be looking to pick up an extra second this year and next.

2nd round: This is where we should look at OLBs. We should have an excellent crop to chose from at this point. Earl Everett, Dan Conor, Rufus Alexander and a few others to pick from. I think any one of these guys can step in and play well next to Meco. I think Alexander and Rufus are more ready than Everett, but Everett has huge speed.

2nd round: This is where it gets fun. I really feel we need to go interior O-line at this point. OC or OG. I like Blaylock and Tubbs at OG, and maybe Datish but this may be too high for him yet. I think we need to upgrade this area. Another area to look at here is DT with maybe Pitcock from OSU or someone similar.

3rd round: I really feel that the Rutgers FB Leonard is a great fit with our scheme and is the best FB in the nation as well. He can be moved around and is an actual threat to catch the ball. He is an awesome blocker who can hopefully spring our running game with the help of some interior line help.

4th round: Here is where I believe we look at a QB with good measurables but the best poise/pocket presence. Kolb comes to mind, but he will need time. I like him though here.

This offseason should help us out tremendously. We basicly finish up our defense with Clements, a young OLB, and a top notch FS, and maybe even a DT FA pickup or second round option. We shore up our interior O-line, and we get the best blocking FB in the nation who happens to be able to catch and run the ball very well. Leonard should help spring our late round RB for a few TDs. On that note, I'd like to see us address RB in the later rounds, but I want a speed back. I want someone who is underrated but just produces. Maybe a Garrett Wolfe. We draft a poised QB second day and make him sit a year while Carr takes the beating while our rookie O-linemen develops and we build our o-line and our scheme all comes together.

YoungTexanFan
12-08-2006, 08:33 PM
YTF is usually spot on in my book. He's pretty close most of the time. The spell/typing police would have locked me up long ago. I could make a list of people who were inordinalty bad spellers but very intellegent . Rote memory is nothing to be proud of with out the ablity to think. Innuendo and assumption have already marked you for what you are Texian...a man without an argunemt. Need to have a little more in the bag to snag YTF.

Much appreciated. I'm glad to see I'm not writting in vain and that others value my imput. Rep your way.

Bubbajwp
12-08-2006, 10:28 PM
Ok, I have returned and have come up with a somewhat new stratagy.

In FA, I want us to Focus in on Clements. I really feel that CB is harder for a rookie to play than LB, see Meco for example. I feel we can get a good OLB in the draft without using a first rounder. I don't feel we can get a starting CB outside of the first round. Thus is the nature of the NFL now. I think we should look at someone like Sands at DT, but not over-invest.

Draft:

After reviewing our needs, it's obvious to see our glaring hole at LT and in general our O-line, but when we review Kubiak and his prior choices, we find that he is not prone to taking O-line early. He is selective in his choices, and I'm hoping Gaither waits a year as he should so we can do as Beerlover said and finish our defense this offseason.

1st round: Trade down to about 12-15 and draft either Nelson (prefered) or Landry, whichever is available. In this trade down I'd be looking to pick up an extra second this year and next.

2nd round: This is where we should look at OLBs. We should have an excellent crop to chose from at this point. Earl Everett, Dan Conor, Rufus Alexander and a few others to pick from. I think any one of these guys can step in and play well next to Meco. I think Alexander and Rufus are more ready than Everett, but Everett has huge speed.

2nd round: This is where it gets fun. I really feel we need to go interior O-line at this point. OC or OG. I like Blaylock and Tubbs at OG, and maybe Datish but this may be too high for him yet. I think we need to upgrade this area. Another area to look at here is DT with maybe Pitcock from OSU or someone similar.

3rd round: I really feel that the Rutgers FB Leonard is a great fit with our scheme and is the best FB in the nation as well. He can be moved around and is an actual threat to catch the ball. He is an awesome blocker who can hopefully spring our running game with the help of some interior line help.

4th round: Here is where I believe we look at a QB with good measurables but the best poise/pocket presence. Kolb comes to mind, but he will need time. I like him though here.

This offseason should help us out tremendously. We basicly finish up our defense with Clements, a young OLB, and a top notch FS, and maybe even a DT FA pickup or second round option. We shore up our interior O-line, and we get the best blocking FB in the nation who happens to be able to catch and run the ball very well. Leonard should help spring our late round RB for a few TDs. On that note, I'd like to see us address RB in the later rounds, but I want a speed back. I want someone who is underrated but just produces. Maybe a Garrett Wolfe. We draft a poised QB second day and make him sit a year while Carr takes the beating while our rookie O-linemen develops and we build our o-line and our scheme all comes together.

I really feal that Clements will be to expensive for us but I hope im wrong.

In round two you said "I think Alexander and Rufus are more ready than Everett, but Everett has huge speed" Just wondering if you meant Rufus Alexander and Dan Conor were better than Everett.

I agree with you pick for pick in the first four rounds.
I would like to add what I would do in the last three rounds
Round 5 speed RB just like you said
Round 6 Daniel Sepulveda aka baylor's punter
Round 7 Nick Folk K Arizona

YoungTexanFan
12-09-2006, 08:55 AM

In round two you said "I think Alexander and Rufus are more ready than Everett, but Everett has huge speed" Just wondering if you meant Rufus Alexander and Dan Conor were better than Everett.

I agree with you pick for pick in the first four rounds.
I would like to add what I would do in the last three rounds
Round 5 speed RB just like you said
Round 6 Daniel Sepulveda aka baylor's punter
Round 7 Nick Folk K Arizona

I think Clements will be very expensive, but the Texans FO shouldn't care. This is a fairly young, pro-bolw CB who wants a new place. We are on the rise with some good additions like him, and I don't mind overpaying for a young stud.

I did mean Conor and Alexander. Thanks for catching that.

The speed back is the way to go w/RB for us IMO. Dayne/Lundy/Gado/Taylor aren't gonig to break one off. I really like Wolfe though for our system and he could fall because of his size.

It would be tough for me to pick a P in the 6th when there is an excellent chance he goes UDFA. I don't mind taking a K late, but I don't honestly know much about Folk. I'd probally take the best K available in the 7th and draft another interior linemen on either side in the 6th. Someone who just produced in college but got overlooked because of one reason or another.

infantrycak
12-09-2006, 09:47 AM

The Texans are set to be about $21 mil under the cap going into the off-season. There are 13-15 FA's not included in that but none are that expensive--Peek may be the most expensive. This year the franchise tag number for CB's is a little under $6 mil. The Texans have the money to sign Clements if they want him.

Vinny
12-09-2006, 09:51 AM
I'd love to see us sign Clements, draft an elite CB early and let Dunta play FS....but I don't think that will happen. I can dream though.

Bubbajwp
12-09-2006, 10:54 AM
The Texans are set to be about $21 mil under the cap going into the off-season. There are 13-15 FA's not included in that but none are that expensive--Peek may be the most expensive. This year the franchise tag number for CB's is a little under $6 mil. The Texans have the money to sign Clements if they want him.

I know that we have alot of cap room but I think a team that thinks they are one player away from a super bowl will pay more for him than I am willing to pay.

Bubbajwp
12-09-2006, 10:57 AM
It would be tough for me to pick a P in the 6th when there is an excellent chance he goes UDFA. I don't mind taking a K late, but I don't honestly know much about Folk. I'd probally take the best K available in the 7th and draft another interior linemen on either side in the 6th. Someone who just produced in college but got overlooked because of one reason or another.

I really really dont want to miss out on the P from Baylor even if we have to reach for him. One of our biggest needs is a punter who can kick the ball sixty pluss yards he is it and we can get him very late in the draft. I seriously hope we dont miss out on this kid.

Texian
12-09-2006, 10:59 AM
Most of the time teams pay way to much in FA. You will be better off being patient trying to find solid players who can contribute and add depth, instead of going for the homerun.

Bubbajwp
12-09-2006, 11:00 AM
Most of the time teams pay way to much in FA. You will be better off being patient trying to find solid players who can contribute and add depth, instead of going for the homerun.

Our history in FA has not been to good.

kastofsna
12-09-2006, 11:21 AM
guys, don't go after a free agent CB. they get overpaid more than any other position in the league in free agency. it's a joke.

Texian
12-09-2006, 12:10 PM
Our history in FA has not been to good.

I think that is the case with most teams. What you get for what you pay is usually very expensive. There are a few exceptions ie: Brees but they are few and far between.

YoungTexanFan
12-09-2006, 12:30 PM
guys, don't go after a free agent CB. they get overpaid more than any other position in the league in free agency. it's a joke.

I know they get overpaid, and I know Clements is basicly looking for a big day, but I feel he is worth it. He is young and in his prime and is better than any CB in the draft and would also provide a solid veteren leader opposite of D-Rob. He would set the tone for our entire secondary. Now just adding a Reggie Nelson type FS is all we need for our secondary.

Texian
12-09-2006, 02:41 PM
I would rather sign Asante Samuel and Stuart Schweigert if we are going to pay big bucks for FA.

painekiller
12-09-2006, 05:00 PM

Keith from HoustonProFootball.com has the team closer to $14.5M due to dead money. If the team takes larger charge offs this year than has been announced then they maybe able to reach the $20M+ you suggest.

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6846

painekiller
12-09-2006, 05:07 PM
I know they get overpaid, and I know Clements is basicly looking for a big day, but I feel he is worth it. He is young and in his prime and is better than any CB in the draft and would also provide a solid veteren leader opposite of D-Rob. He would set the tone for our entire secondary. Now just adding a Reggie Nelson type FS is all we need for our secondary.

I agree, a Nelson/Landry added to a backfield of Clements Robinson Earl. And if the team gets lucky and a Amobi Okoye type falls to them in the second. You would be one SAM LB away from having a very good defense.

Not sure of the cost, but another FA DT we should look at is Terdell Sands OAK.

Honoring Earl 34
12-09-2006, 05:15 PM
OK you get Nelson in the 1st , Okoye in the 2nd ... who do you pick in the 3rd ?

bah007
12-09-2006, 05:35 PM
OK you get Nelson in the 1st , Okoye in the 2nd ... who do you pick in the 3rd ?

Kolb or best OL.

Maddict5
12-09-2006, 06:33 PM
some good posts in this thread....

anyway first off, let me say im no college football expert myself but am interested in draft prospects and look around alot of draft sites....

now as far as the draft goes-
i think we'll be picking around #8-10 and im not bothered who we pick once it is out of these- peterson, gaithers,brown, thomas, adams, branch, okam, hall, hughes, nelson, landry

obviously every other day 1 pick will depend on who we pick in the first but id like to draft a C/G and an olb to replace wong/orr.. day 2- more o-line and crosby or another quality K and P instead of a mid-round qb... maybe a burner wr also but preferably a wr who fell due to a 'lack of speed'-

i say keep carr for 1 more year behind the improved o-line and if he succeeds great, if not get a franchise guy to replace him...rd 1 qbs are looking good right now

FA- as much as id love it, clements isnt going to happen imo but sands would be a good dt imo

YoungTexanFan
12-09-2006, 10:49 PM

Dan Conor, the OLB for Penn St. who has outplayed their MLB who will go top 20.

beerlover
12-09-2006, 10:56 PM
I agree with alot of you guys, very informative & thoughtful posts, no harm in dreaming about future Texans. Free agnecy does transpire before the draft so look for a big time aquisition, but maybe a QB (Plummer anyone?) if Carr cannot win a couple of these last four games. Clements would be awesome if the Texans can sign him, but if they can't CB Darrelle Revis could wind up being the #1 pick for the Texans. Then there is always the possiblity of a trade, but lets just focus on the draft. I'm already getting tired of who goes where & what draft pick so I'm going to compile a short list of players who may or may not be available for each known draft pick thru round 3.

1st rd. -

Joe Thomas, LT Wisconsin 6-7 310
Gaines Adams, DE Clemson 6-5 260
Paul Posluszny, OLB Penn State 6-2 230
Darrelle Revis (jr) CB Pitt 6-0 190
Reggie Nelson(jr) FS Florida 6-0 195
LaRon Landry, FS LSU 6-2 205

2nd rd. -

Amobi Okoye, DT Loisville 6-2 317
Michael Bush, RB Louisville 6-1 250
Bruce Davis (jr) DE/OLB UCLA 6-3 242
Ryan Smith (jr) CB Florida 5-10 168
Dan Connor (jr) OLB Penn State 6-3 228
Brandon Mebane DT California 6-2 305

3rd rd. -

Kevin Kolb, QB Houston 6-2 228
Joe Staley, LT Central Michigan 6-5 300
Dwayne Wright, RB Fresno State 6-0 222
Kyle Young, C Fresno State 6-4 320
Fred Bennet, CB South Carolina 6-2 190
John Wendling, FS Wyoming 6-1 222

gwallaia
12-10-2006, 07:05 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v155/gwallaia/283350.jpg

This is a picture of Joe Thomas last season. The caption read that he suffered a serious knee injury. What is the status with the knee?

bah007
12-10-2006, 07:08 PM

This is a picture of Joe Thomas last season. The caption read that he suffered a serious knee injury. What is the status with the knee?

Looks pretty good to me.

He just won the Outland Trophy as the best interior lineman in college football.

gwallaia
12-10-2006, 07:10 PM
Looks pretty good to me.

He just won the Outland Trophy as the best interior lineman in college football.

He must be drafted by the Texans then.

threetoedpete
12-10-2006, 07:44 PM

His satus is he is the studliest o-lineman to come down the pike since Bruce Mathews. He'll be off the board by the third pick. We can't lose enough to get him.

threetoedpete
12-10-2006, 07:48 PM

Did you see who we had out there after Petie , (Faggins) went down ? I think they gotta bite the bullet on a top flight CB. Whether it's the Draft or FA...they gotta have at least one in the off season.

edo783
12-10-2006, 10:05 PM
Did you see who we had out there after Petie , (Faggins) went down ? I think they gotta bite the bullet on a top flight CB. Whether it's the Draft or FA...they gotta have at least one in the off season.

I suspect that we will make a seriouse run at both Clements and Samuals and probably snag one of them. Young and talented. That should help DRob. He did a lot better when Glenn was on the otherside. Petey is a heck of a nickle back IMO, but just bairly average as a starting corner.

threetoedpete
12-10-2006, 10:40 PM
I suspect that we will make a seriouse run at both Clements and Samuals and probably snag one of them. Young and talented. That should help DRob. He did a lot better when Glenn was on the otherside. Petey is a heck of a nickle back IMO, but just bairly average as a starting corner.

Agreed. I'm also thinking...CC goes to SS...Glenn Earl....c ya.

YoungTexanFan
12-10-2006, 11:05 PM
Agreed. I'm also thinking...CC goes to SS...Glenn Earl....c ya.

I think it is the other way around. Brown is cut loose or regulated to back up duties. Glenn is the better player. Glenn was the #2 S prospect behind the infamous ST.

threetoedpete
12-10-2006, 11:25 PM
I think it is the other way around. Brown is cut loose or regulated to back up duties. Glenn is the better player. Glenn was the #2 S prospect behind the infamous ST.

Stong saftey's don't miss one on one tackles in the hole unabaited. This one did today. Bet you a coke YTF.

Saw in the '02 draft Faggins was a 6th pick. Again, he plays hard and he is a good guy. Just not a great cover corner. Henry almost broke his ankles on the TD run today. He just doesn't have the speed to recover from a false read or mistake.

YoungTexanFan
12-10-2006, 11:28 PM
Stong saftey's don't miss one on one tackles in the hole unabaited. This one did today. Bet you a coke YTF.

Saw in the '02 draft Faggins was a 6th pick. Again, he plays hard and he is a good guy. Just not a great cover corner. Henry almost broke his ankles on the TD run today. He just doesn't have the speed to recover from a false read or mistake.

I have never liked Faggins in general, but could live with him as a nickle. I will take that bet pete about Earl over Brown. I prefer red gatorade though, I don't drink cokes.

CoastalTexan
12-11-2006, 12:03 AM
Free Agency Options- Get Briggs (SLB) and Steinbach(G), Sands(DT) or Redding (DT) a couple of them would really help.

1.Revis or Hall at CB perhaps Branch (DT) if he declares
2.Eric Weddle or Wendling (their ranking is going to change between now and the draft obviously) maybe Joe Staley if Spencer doesn't look good.
3.Kolb QB (I don't know if Houston is patient enough for Carr, Groom him for a year, with Kubiak should start off on the right track.)
4.Kalil or Datish at C (obviously a weakspot)
5.Corning (RB) or BPA
6.most athletic DT/OL from small school or BPA
7.most athletic DT/OL from small school or BPA

We have to get our O-line/D-line consistant somehow, FA's seem to be the fastest way to do that. We have to spend money to get the good players, which we really really need, we have NO DEPTH as most of you know. Faggins moved to nickel back will really help as well as a FS not named CC Brown. Kolb is there to groom for QB. Center is a big weakness for us as well, Corning put good numbers up against decent teams, but the combine will influence where he goes. DT/OL seem to have the biggest % of being pros in the later rounds and it happens to be need positions.

threetoedpete
12-11-2006, 12:25 AM
Free Agency Options- Get Briggs (SLB) and Steinbach(G), Sands(DT) or Redding (DT) a couple of them would really help.

1.Revis or Hall at CB perhaps Branch (DT) if he declares
2.Eric Weddle or Wendling (their ranking is going to change between now and the draft obviously) maybe Joe Staley if Spencer doesn't look good.
3.Kolb QB (I don't know if Houston is patient enough for Carr, Groom him for a year, with Kubiak should start off on the right track.)
4.Kalil or Datish at C (obviously a weakspot)
5.Corning (RB) or BPA
6.most athletic DT/OL from small school or BPA
7.most athletic DT/OL from small school or BPA

We have to get our O-line/D-line consistant somehow, FA's seem to be the fastest way to do that. We have to spend money to get the good players, which we really really need, we have NO DEPTH as most of you know. Faggins moved to nickel back will really help as well as a FS not named CC Brown. Kolb is there to groom for QB. Center is a big weakness for us as well, Corning put good numbers up against decent teams, but the combine will influence where he goes. DT/OL seem to have the biggest % of being pros in the later rounds and it happens to be need positions.

Exactly which o-line, Dline guys are you talking about ? Weary & Pitts. Are you saying you consider Weary and Pitts "all pro" lineman ? Charles Hill ? Was Charles Hill an outstanding d'lineman in YHO ?Travis Johnson ? Inquiring minds want to know.
I mean exactly which day two line guys are we talking about here ?

Keep scraping the bottom of the tolliet bowl guess what you end up with in your hands. You and TC may want to keep scratching there, but after five years I'm about ready to give it a break and try something completly diferent.

Not just you grass hopper. The NFL fairy just didn't happen to fly on our shoulder this season and take a big dump. We earned this season. We earned it by drafting the skill guys and letting the big uglies go some where's else. We earned it my missing on so many quick fix free agent lineman and second tiered prospects who we're still paying for. Our Front office made this mess by doing exactly, preciecly as you and a lot of others on this Message board are advocating. It doesn't fricken work. Won't work. And has never worked. You build a team from the inside out. Period.
You bite the bullet when the other clubs are taking the skilled guys and build your two lines. And untill this team does that build the two lines and get rid of the deadwood...we're going to keep right on sucking.

threetoedpete
12-11-2006, 12:27 AM
I have never liked Faggins in general, but could live with him as a nickle. I will take that bet pete about Earl over Brown. I prefer red gatorade though, I don't drink cokes.

Book it. You can pay me at the summer practices.

CoastalTexan
12-11-2006, 01:12 AM
Exactly which o-line, Dline guys are you talking about ? Weary & Pitts. Are you saying you consider Weary and Pitts "all pro" lineman ? Charles Hill ? Was Charles Hill an outstanding d'lineman in YHO ?Travis Johnson ? Inquiring minds want to know.
I mean exactly which day two line guys are we talking about here ?

Keep scraping the bottom of the tolliet bowl guess what you end up with in your hands. You and TC may want to keep scratching there, but after five years I'm about ready to give it a break and try something completly diferent.

Not just you grass hopper. The NFL fairy just didn't happen to fly on our shoulder this season and take a big dump. We earned this season. We earned it by drafting the skill guys and letting the big uglies go some where's else. We earned it my missing on so many quick fix free agent lineman and second tiered prospects who we're still paying for. Our Front office made this mess by doing exactly, preciecly as you and a lot of others on this Message board are advocating. It doesn't fricken work. Won't work. And has never worked. You build a team from the inside out. Period.
You bite the bullet when the other clubs are taking the skilled guys and build your two lines. And untill this team does that build the two lines and get rid of the deadwood...we're going to keep right on sucking.

"Pro" as in professional football, as in not washing out in the 1st or 2nd year. As in contributing to the team as a backup or starter in the future. You list high picks and they suck, some just as much as our former lower picks. You do notice I have ALAN BRANCH and JOE STALEY listed in the 1st two rounds, a CENTER in ROUND 4. As well as ERIC STEINBECK, SANDS and REDDING listed as FA options. DID YOU READ MY POST? I think not, if you are drinking it's understandable, if not then you need to read the entire post and then comment, not read what you want to read and then proceed to insult my me. I have a feeling you are quite drunk though so I will not go on.

threetoedpete
12-11-2006, 03:30 PM
"Pro" as in professional football, as in not washing out in the 1st or 2nd year. As in contributing to the team as a backup or starter in the future. You list high picks and they suck, some just as much as our former lower picks. You do notice I have ALAN BRANCH and JOE STALEY listed in the 1st two rounds, a CENTER in ROUND 4. As well as ERIC STEINBECK, SANDS and REDDING listed as FA options. DID YOU READ MY POST? I think not, if you are drinking it's understandable, if not then you need to read the entire post and then comment, not read what you want to read and then proceed to insult my me. I have a feeling you are quite drunk though so I will not go on.

All I know hot shot you put us into '07 carring the same o-line group with two crap shoot guys late in your draft. I didn't need to read more than that. What do you expect to cull out of the final two rounds ? Pace & Allen Faneca ? Good Grief. Seth Wand II doesn't do it for me. Been there done that. Inuendo and insluts have marked you for what you are...stupid. I guess your 6th & 7th could be taught to mix up the gator aide. 267 sacks and counting.

CoastalTexan
12-11-2006, 04:09 PM
Maybe we should draft a Center or Guard with our first pick then? You do see I have Steinbach a GUARD in free agency? And perhaps the most athletic lineman in the draft in the second. We have 3 starters out right now. Spencer, starting left tackle is out, starting center is out, and starting right tackle is out. The line you see now is not the one we had at the start of the season.

You do know Denver has a habit of getting O-lineman late in the draft I assume, we did hire half of Denver's coaching staff it seems.

Let me go over this again... There are only 5 spots on the O-Line, in my post which you love so much the texans are getting a free agent who should start over weary or pitts, a LT in the 2nd and a Center in the 4th, Centers arn't normally drafted high. That's 3 new O-lineman before we get to the 6th/7th round picks.

Leave the namecalling to the others, not characteristic for a 51 year old retired guy.

outofhnd
12-11-2006, 05:46 PM
GO with Daymeon the #1 CB prospect. Who ever we played oppisite D rob has been burnt badly all year long. 2 83yd bombs against buffalo? TO catching it in double coverage like he was wide open. We need a top tier #2 corner. We will never win this division let alone compete without a stronger secondary.

YoungTexanFan
12-11-2006, 09:00 PM
GO with Daymeon the #1 CB prospect. Who ever we played oppisite D rob has been burnt badly all year long. 2 83yd bombs against buffalo? TO catching it in double coverage like he was wide open. We need a top tier #2 corner. We will never win this division let alone compete without a stronger secondary.

Hughes isn't the most athleticly gifted CB in the draft. Cason or Revis would be better at what you suggested. Or Nelson/Landry.

Civil
12-11-2006, 10:54 PM
The only thing we know for certain is that the Texans won't draft anyone listed in this thread...

QFT

V Man
12-12-2006, 10:47 AM
Spencer's health is going to play a major role in this years draft. If we feel that he will make it back, I see us going defense 1st and maybe 2nd, then RB,C, or maybe QB in rounds 3 and 4. If we feel he won't make it back, then OT becomes a possiblity in rounds 1 or 2.

Honoring Earl 34
12-12-2006, 11:10 AM
There two ways of drafting for the Texans .

1 . The first Bob needs excitement in the stands ... 1st Peterson / 2nd Smith or Kolb .

2. If Joe Thomas is a better prospect than DBrick you take him . If not then I guess you finish building your defense .

I vote for choice # 1 .

beerlover
12-12-2006, 11:20 AM

1 . The first Bob needs excitement in the stands ... 1st Peterson / 2nd Smith or Kolb .

2. If Joe Thomas is a better prospect than DBrick you take him . If not then I guess you finish building your defense .

I vote for choice # 1 .

both of those are sceneros I could live with :)

however there are more than two ways the Texans could go in the draft, the combinations would be in the thousands. there could be a trade up if they want a franchise LT in Thomas or they could trade down & take Landry plus extra 2nd or they could just stand pat & take their highest rated player (whoever that might be) with their own pick. then Kubiak & Smith will sit down after the season & reveiw everything, including David Carr & who knows what will be Spencers health prognosis (I've heard here on this board he is already running, so thats one positive) or what free agency turns up.

one thing for sure is that this offseason is going to be a busy one & the Texans will be better in the future for it :stirpot:

Honoring Earl 34
12-12-2006, 11:24 AM
Your right ... we don't even know what Ric Smith is thinking . He may be a genius ... I will not even think of the other option .

Right now it depends on where they draft .

El Tejano
12-12-2006, 11:24 AM

I vote for choice # 1 .

I partially agree with your #1 choice but I don't want a QB in the first.

My #2 would be to trade the pick so we can get more picks

Then I like you 2 as my #3.

Honoring Earl 34
12-12-2006, 11:27 AM
The QB is in the 2nd round ... Peterson is first .

BigBull17
12-12-2006, 11:38 AM
I dont see a drafted QB comming in, I see a restricted FA, like Matt Schaub

kastofsna
12-12-2006, 11:45 AM
houston will take a hard look at jamarcus russell. i say he winds up projecting right around where houston picks.

Honoring Earl 34
12-12-2006, 11:47 AM
If the Texans took a QB in the first round ... they would catch even more crap .

El Tejano
12-12-2006, 11:53 AM
I agree. Troy Smith in the 2nd round.

bah007
12-12-2006, 11:54 AM
I dont see a drafted QB comming in, I see a restricted FA, like Matt Schaub

No way.

He isnt worth both our 1st & 3rd round draft picks.

Honoring Earl 34
12-12-2006, 11:57 AM
I think Troy Smith will fall like Drew Brees because he's short and he's had a little trouble in the past .

I'm not worried about height so much as long as he has some fire .

Honoring Earl 34
12-12-2006, 11:58 AM
No way.

I agree that's a sellers market .

dtran04
12-12-2006, 01:10 PM
I'm hoping for Adrian Peterson (long shot maybe). I've personally liked him more than Reggie. He runs ANGRY.

El Tejano
12-12-2006, 01:12 PM
Me too but I just don't think he will be around when we pick.

Honoring Earl 34
12-12-2006, 01:35 PM
I think we'll go 5-11 ... where does that get you .

Texian
12-12-2006, 01:38 PM
06 prognosis for 07 draft...

1. Kubiak will stick w/ Carr & Sage for at least one more year.
2. Weary could be moving to C.
3. Winston could be moving to G.
4. Don't expect much in FA, Texans will have to over pay to get players to Houston.
5. Continue last years commitment to building the Defense. S, LB or CB RD 1.
6. If DD is finished maybe a RB RD 2 or S, LB.
7. Depending on Wiegert and Spencers rehab, OT RD 3.

Honoring Earl 34
12-12-2006, 01:41 PM
I can't fathom Carr being here unless he looks like the second coming of Unitas these last three weeks . It would be a PR nightmare and Bob's been there before .

Texian
12-12-2006, 03:03 PM
I can't fathom Carr being here unless he looks like the second coming of Unitas these last three weeks . It would be a PR nightmare and Bob's been there before .

I think Bob will be patient with his rookie coach for another year. They have doubled their wins from a year ago. so we will see...:shades:

Janus3
12-12-2006, 04:53 PM
No way.

sorry dude he is. schaub is better than any qb in this draft and the last draft.

Janus3
12-12-2006, 04:54 PM
I'm hoping for Adrian Peterson (long shot maybe). I've personally liked him more than Reggie. He runs ANGRY.

agree, peterson is much better than bush. peterson is a true rb and gets the tough yard, bush needs open space. we need a rb to hit the hole hard. if we draft in the top 5 it is very possible we get him.

Bubbajwp
12-12-2006, 05:52 PM
No way.

You dont have to give up your 1st and 3rd for him.

Texian
12-12-2006, 06:22 PM
sorry dude he is. schaub is better than any qb in this draft and the last draft.

Not that I am advocating drafting a QB in RD 1 but if we were going to do that I would be willing to give up a 1&3 for Schaub vs a 1 for anyone in this years draft. You would be getting quality as good if not better than Romo.

Oh and all can be sure ATL will offer Schaub the highest tender in case he does sign with some one else so they will be sure to get a 1 & 3. Why would they take anything less. In reality they would like to keep him as their backup to Vick.

bah007
12-12-2006, 06:26 PM
You dont have to give up your 1st and 3rd for him.

Yes you do.

He is a RFA & the Falcons are sure to give him the highest tender, which requires an opposing team to give up a 1st & 3rd for him.

Bubbajwp
12-12-2006, 06:55 PM
No

The teams can still negotiate a trade.

bah007
12-12-2006, 07:09 PM
No

There is no way we could get a trade for Schaub tho.

They would try to rob us. So the only way that the Texans could get him is if we gave up the picks.

texplayer2
12-12-2006, 07:17 PM
agree, peterson is much better than bush. peterson is a true rb and gets the tough yard, bush needs open space. we need a rb to hit the hole hard. if we draft in the top 5 it is very possible we get him.

He is damaged goods. Why would we pick an injury prone running back? That is who DD is already. Db or O-line.

Trap_Star
12-12-2006, 07:18 PM
I agree. Troy Smith in the 2nd round.

I think Troy Smith will fall like Drew Brees because he's short and he's had a little trouble in the past .

I'm not worried about height so much as long as he has some fire .

Troy Smith WILL NOT FALL to the second round...If Cleveland passes on him, someone will trade up for him.
The way Brees is playing right now will silence the "he's too short" mumbo jumbo...

bah007
12-12-2006, 07:21 PM
Troy Smith WILL NOT FALL to the second round...If Cleveland passes on him, someone will trade up for him.
The way Brees is playing right now will silence the "he's too short" mumbo jumbo...

If Cleveland passes on him Minnesota will grab him.

That would be a great move by them.

He could study under Brad Johnson for a year & then he would be ready.

Trap_Star
12-12-2006, 07:55 PM
What if a team like Carolina takes him in the first...a Smith&Smith combo would be killer...

Honoring Earl 34
12-12-2006, 08:14 PM
He is damaged goods. Why would we pick an injury prone running back? That is who DD is already. Db or O-line.

Cause he should have won the Heisman as a freshman . He played with a high ankle sprain last year and this year he dove into the endzone on a long run ... a fluke . He is an athletic violent runner who brings it ... thats why .

If Joe Thomas is there then you probably go with him .

Texian
12-12-2006, 09:20 PM
No

Why would the Falcons want to take anything less? They get a 1 & 3 or they keep Schaub, which they would probably prefer.

painekiller
12-13-2006, 01:41 AM

Currently I am watching a few guys: Joe Staley, LT Central Michigan 6-5 305 he is supposed to run a 4.7 forty, a converted TE. I will be watching him at the Senior Bowl to get a better idea of him against the big boys.

Doug Datish OC Ohio St. 6-4 295 great leadership skills played OT while Mangrove was there.

Ben Grubbs OG Auburn 6-3 305 converted TE with very quick feet.

Kevin Kolb QB U of H everyone should know why.

Brian Leonard FB Rutgers 6-1 240 can play RB FB or HB with no problem has very good hands and my be the main guy in the Kubiak system, most likely does not fall to 3rd round.

BTW I also like Posluszny in the first, but Anderson has earned more playing time at the SAM and may prove to be a better answer then the current lead guys and be he maybe given a shot at the position thus making a 1st pick on LB unneeded.