PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Night Against Patriots?

Bamaborn-Texasbred
11-15-2006, 06:23 PM
Call me crazy, but....

If the Texans run the table or lose only one of the next four games they might find themselves playing New England on NBC week 15. They would probably have to run the table, and that still wouldn't guarantee anything. I can dream if I want.

If the Texans win the next 4 against Buffalo, Oakland, NY Jets, and the Titans, they will be 7-6. That would make them a legit threat for a wild-card berth. Their remaining games would be at New England, at home against a Colts team that won't need a win at that point, and on the road against the hapless Browns. I can dream.:homer:

TexansLucky13
11-15-2006, 06:24 PM
Big dreaming there, buddy.....

P.S. - Browns is a home game.

Bamaborn-Texasbred
11-15-2006, 06:27 PM
Big dreaming there, buddy.....

P.S. - Browns is a home game.

Even better! Thanks.

Reddevil63
11-15-2006, 06:35 PM
They are all winnable games, but they havent won more than two in a row so I wouldnt get too excited. That being said, it was about this time last year the Dolphing started clicking and won their last 7.

TexansLucky13
11-15-2006, 06:42 PM
We seem to play the Patriots pretty well, too. I just wish it were at Reliant. My two favorite teams.

Double Barrel
11-15-2006, 06:46 PM
Love y'all's optimism, but I can't drink that koolaide right now. We have yet to even win back-to-back games this season, so what makes us think that they can win FOUR in a row? Considering the injuries we've sustained, the lack of depth, and the inconsistent play from week-to-week, I think this scenario is highly unlikely in spite of what is possible.

Of course I hope I am proven completely wrong, as I'd love to have some roasted crow in a few weeks when we're 7-6. I'll even cook and serve it! :shades:

Reddevil63
11-15-2006, 06:49 PM
I like mine extra cripsy with a side of mashed potatoes :mario3:

WiiBrawler
11-15-2006, 06:53 PM
This Is How I would see it play out

Bufallo Bills-W 24-21
@Oakland Raiders-W 17-16
Tennesse Titans-W 17-14
New York Jets-L 14-17
New England Patriots-L 28-21
Indianapolis Colts-W 28-21
Cleveland Browns-W 14-10

So I have us beating the Bills in a game we Shouldwin because we are at home and we are getting things together, I have us winning at oakland, beating Tennesse because the home field should help us,here is where it gets tough,I have us losing at the New York Jets because the Jets are a good team, they completely out-played the Patriots on the road, and because they are a good team, I have us losing at the Patriots because Brady comes up huge in the clutch and probably will fighting in the division race,now here where it gets good, we come back to our home crowd for a huge game against Colts in Texan Fans eyes, we should win this game because the colts should be sitting their starters for the playoffs and they shoudnt care about this game,then we face our hated rivals the cleveland browns,i have us winning but we shoudnt take the browns for granted we all remember 2004 dont we?

So that puts us at 8-8 where many of us including me predicted us to be

So No Wild Card This Year, we will improve next year

Double Barrel
11-15-2006, 07:02 PM
An 8-8 record this year would be HUGE, and would definitely set us up for a playoff wildcard run next year. I don't want to even entertain the thought, for fear of jinxing us. ;)

hollywood_texan
11-15-2006, 07:35 PM
The Texans beat the Dolphins and the Jags twice, and now this is somehow an 8-8 team?

This team still has big issues on offense when it comes to scoring quality points and getting quick drives together. The offense is too slow and predictable. Meanwhile, the defense still has a very thin secondary that can be easliy exposed. Combine that with the kicking and punting games that have turned to mediocre this season, and you have a team that could probably lose the rest of it's games a lot easier than going 5-2 here on out.

Probably what to watch is how the Texans do the next 3 games. The consensus seems to be they should win all three of these.

If the Texans are really has good as some of you think, they should beat the Bills and Raiders going away with Carr on the sidelines in the 4th quarter because they are winning the games going away.

tsip
11-15-2006, 07:37 PM
JMO, but we'd better learn how to score some pts these next 7 games or it could get 'ugly.' Our defense has kept us in games lately. We avg more pts per game our 1st 4 games than our last 5--our last 2 were less than 12.

Kubiak has 'dumb downed' the offense to 'rock bottom' to minimize mistakes and keep 'frality of the mind' at a minimum, so we better hope our defense can continue keeping our opponents scoring at a minimum.

...and those Browns get no respect! Their 6 losses are by an avg of less than a TD per game...and, too, where are we going to 'suddenly' get all these pts to win 'all' these games? We're going to go from a 16 pt avg to over a 20pt avg ? Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think we've ever had a 7 game 'stretch' in our history that we avg 20pts...wow, this would be fun to see!!!

kcwilson
11-15-2006, 07:47 PM
The Texans beat the Dolphins and the Jags twice, and now this is somehow an 8-8 team?

This team still has big issues on offense when it comes to scoring quality points and getting quick drives together. The offense is too slow and predictable. Meanwhile, the defense still has a very thin secondary that can be easliy exposed. Combine that with the kicking and punting games that have turned to mediocre this season, and you have a team that could probably lose the rest of it's games a lot easier than going 5-2 here on out.

Probably what to watch is how the Texans do the next 3 games. The consensus seems to be they should win all three of these.

If the Texans are really has good as some of you think, they should beat the Bills and Raiders going away with Carr on the sidelines in the 4th quarter because they are winning the games going away.

Agree on this point... we still haven't been able to expose the middle of the field in the passing game... everything is along the sidelines, which is safe and I like what we have been doing.

We need to be able to use the middle of the field and find open spots in those zone coverages. Once we get to the 20 yard line, it seems as if everything is too congested for our short passing game.

Marcus
11-15-2006, 07:52 PM
They are all winnable games, but they havent won more than two in a row so I wouldnt get too excited. That being said, it was about this time last year the Dolphing started clicking and won their last 7.
Didn't quite carry over to this year, did it?

An 8-8 record this year would be HUGE, and would definitely set us up for a playoff wildcard run next year. I don't want to even entertain the thought, for fear of jinxing us. ;)

See above. Way too many things happen during the offseason regarding free agency turnover that it basically renders what happens the season before as bad indicator of what happens next season. Everyone thought Miami was a sure-fire lock to go to the playoffs because of that 7-0 run.

You're right . . . finishing 8-8 when they once 2-6 would be huge. But don't get caught up in the expectations.

TexanFan881
11-15-2006, 08:11 PM
I really hope your right and this game is on Sunday night football. Would be the first game I get to see this year: by looking on the coverage maps I've gotten close but nothing yet. The Colts games are over and it's looking slim - only shot I think I've got is we get moved to Sunday night (unlikely if we can't improve a lot) or the game on December 3rd against the Raiders is on (only other game on at 3 is Seattle and San Diego I think). For the next few weeks it's just going to be me, nfl.com, the forums, and live radio (thanks to kshn.com). I'm pumped someone was able to find that site, now I get something to listen to :). So hopefully we'll a game or two on here. :)

TexanSam
11-15-2006, 08:26 PM
Looking at the week 15 schedule (http://www.nfl.com/schedules#week15), I think Philly vs Giants might end up as the Sunday Nighter. Would be great if the Texans won 4 in a row and they put us there, but we haven't ever won 3 in a row.

joedinkle
11-15-2006, 09:49 PM
Here to burst all of the homer's bubbles. We will not beat the Colts or the Patriots this season, and the Jets are also unlikely. Why does everyone think we can beat the Jets?

mexican_texan
11-15-2006, 09:57 PM
How do we play the Browns three years in a row in Houston? Shouldn't we go to Cleveland sometime?

K.D.
11-15-2006, 10:04 PM
Well the Colts won't be resting their starters when we play them cuz they will have lost afew games by then. We will beat the bills,titans,jets but it's just something I think will turn the raiders game into their favor. As for the pats we WILL beat them, I garuuunteee! This is not a joke neither. The colts are gonna get out with a close one Manning engineered late in the game. Watch what I saying FELLA'S
TEXANS 4 LIFE DOGG!!

sakebomb
11-15-2006, 10:45 PM
I hope your right but we haven't won two games in a row in two years.

audibles
11-15-2006, 10:49 PM
Looking at the week 15 schedule (http://www.nfl.com/schedules#week15), I think Philly vs Giants might end up as the Sunday Nighter. Would be great if the Texans won 4 in a row and they put us there, but we haven't ever won 3 in a row.

Couple of things to keep in mind here... (besides the obvious fact that it's going to be very difficult for an injury-riddled team to win four more games this year, much less the next four):

* the Sunday night game is typically decided the week before, so the result of the Titans game probably won't be known when NBC makes this decision.

* CBS and FOX can each protect a certain number of games from being taken by NBC; given that, I could see Philly/Giants being protected by FOX and Chiefs/Chargers being protected by CBS. If that happens, there aren't too many other compelling match-ups in Week 15. This is where the East Coast media bias could help us land the Sunday night game since it involves the Pats. I would say Steelers/Panthers would be the main competition, depending on their relative records.

:twocents:

Napa Auto Parts
11-15-2006, 10:57 PM
im a fan but i dont get blinded by miracles since it would be a miracle so ill just call you crazy.

Texans_Chick
11-15-2006, 11:09 PM
Call me crazy, but....

If the Texans run the table or lose only one of the next four games they might find themselves playing New England on NBC week 15. They would probably have to run the table, and that still wouldn't guarantee anything. I can dream if I want.

If the Texans win the next 4 against Buffalo, Oakland, NY Jets, and the Titans, they will be 7-6. That would make them a legit threat for a wild-card berth. Their remaining games would be at New England, at home against a Colts team that won't need a win at that point, and on the road against the hapless Browns. I can dream.:homer:

Okay, you are crazy.

In your imaginary world, I wouldn't want the Texans to get the NBC game.

The Patriots at NIGHT. In Foxboro? NO WAY!

Andre Johnson's hands might chip off.

mexican_texan
11-15-2006, 11:13 PM
Okay, you are crazy.

It's not like he uses them :ohsnap:

mexican_texan
11-15-2006, 11:46 PM
I'm refferring to the accusation that AJ catches passes with his body, not his hands.

LORK 88
11-16-2006, 12:09 AM
Call me crazy, but....

Its scary to think that we could actually break .500 this season. I don't want to get my hopes up, but I really hope we can somehow sneak into a national TV game. If not, theres next year . . .

Bamaborn-Texasbred
11-16-2006, 09:27 AM
Okay, you are crazy.

A Sunday nighter is probably what most of us are calling it - just a dream.:pigfly:

However, I think our boys would respond well to the honor of playing in front of a national audience. Carr certainly showed he wasn't afraid of the spotlight in that Cowboy game the innaugural season.

HOU-TEX
11-16-2006, 10:38 AM
There's alot of Kool-aid flowing through this thread. I'm all for optimism, but 5-2? We've yet to show any consistancy what so ever. The past few games our Redzone offense has been rediculous. As far as a Sunday game goes, the past Sunday games we've been in we were throttled. I'd rather keep the games at noon from now on until we can prove we're capable of putting together a decent season.:twocents:

TxAg
11-16-2006, 10:56 AM
TEXANS WILL WIN SUPERBOWL j/k but it did sound good right? :) I think the Texans will finish out strong and maybe even make a statement, I could see us going 9-7 this year Viva Los Texans!!!! :francis: :fireball: :bowser:

TexansLucky13
11-16-2006, 10:59 AM
http://media.graytvinc.com/images/koolaid.jpg

Double Barrel
11-16-2006, 11:14 AM
You're right . . . finishing 8-8 when they once 2-6 would be huge. But don't get caught up in the expectations.

Nope, I won't. I'm too much of a realistic fanatic to put any expectations on this year's squad. I still think we're a 5-6 win team, which is still a good improvement over the 2005 Texans.

You're right about the off-season transactions and such. It's waaaay to early to tell what we'll have next year...my speculation on that was based on some weird optimistic atmosphere in this thread that I got caught up in. :shades:

the wonger need food
11-16-2006, 11:56 AM
However, I think our boys would respond well to the honor of playing in front of a national audience. Carr certainly showed he wasn't afraid of the spotlight in that Cowboy game the innaugural season.

I guess you missed the 2 Sunday night games last year. They were handily embarrassed in both.

TxAg
11-16-2006, 12:13 PM
I guess you missed the 2 Sunday night games last year. They were handily embarrassed in both.
Dude that is an awsome avatar

tsip
11-16-2006, 01:49 PM
Maybe it's just me (not the first time) but I'm 'bothered' by the fact that 2 different HC felt they had to 'scale back' our offensive game planning to virtually nothing. It would be one thing if both coaches had the same personnel to start with, but that is not the case. Since our inception, we've been one of the lowest scoring teams in the NFL and nothing indicates that will change...

We bring in a proven offensive 'guru' that coached offenses that-not only put up 'big' yardage numbers-but scored 'big' points, as well. High/big expectations--where is the offense we 'envisioned?' And,IMO, this notion is made worse by the fact that we're scoring fewer points as the season goes along.

Certainly, the OL still has its problems but it has protected the QB much better this year, though the running game is a 'big' question mark from week to week. Is it the blocking?...or the RB?...or a combo of the 2? Has Kubiak been a victim of his 'own' press clippings that hailed the notion of 'just' plugging in any back?

...and the passing game? Zero TDs in three straight games!! ...imagine what we'd look like as a team if the defense had not stepped up! 11.5 pts in the last 2 games is a trend that must be turned around quick for us IMO to finish this season on a high...

OK, so here's my question. In light of our offensive woes--especially scoring- how are we going to win 5 of our remaining games. :confused:

TheOgre
11-16-2006, 01:55 PM
JMO, but we'd better learn how to score some pts these next 7 games or it could get 'ugly.' Our defense has kept us in games lately. We avg more pts per game our 1st 4 games than our last 5--our last 2 were less than 12.

Part of that is that we seem to have long sustained drives that eat up a ton of clock but result in no points or 3. We are shorting the games for the opponents, but for our offense as well. We have to learn to finish drives and we will be fine.

run-david-run
11-16-2006, 02:00 PM
Maybe it's just me (not the first time) but I'm 'bothered' by the fact that 2 different HC felt they had to 'scale back' our offensive game planning to virtually nothing. It would be one thing if both coaches had the same personnel to start with, but that is not the case. Since our inception, we've been one of the lowest scoring teams in the NFL and nothing indicates that will change...

We bring in a proven offensive 'guru' that coached offenses that-not only put up 'big' yardage numbers-but scored 'big' points, as well. High/big expectations--where is the offense we 'envisioned?' And,IMO, this notion is made worse by the fact that we're scoring fewer points as the season goes along.

Certainly, the OL still has its problems but it has protected the QB much better this year, though the running game is a 'big' question mark from week to week. Is it the blocking?...or the RB?...or a combo of the 2? Has Kubiak been a victim of his 'own' press clippings that hailed the notion of 'just' plugging in any back?

...and the passing game? Zero TDs in three straight games!! ...imagine what we'd look like as a team if the defense had not stepped up! 11.5 pts in the last 2 games is a trend that must be turned around quick for us IMO to finish this season on a high...

OK, so here's my question. In light of our offensive woes--especially scoring- how are we going to win 5 of our remaining games. :confused:

Carr dosnt have a TD in three games, Sage three for 3 of them against the Titans, so make that w games without a passing TD. I think the impact of injuries on the O-line is mostly what is holding this offense back. If we get consistent protection on 5 and 7 step drops we can start going downfield and open up the run. It will come.

Sportsfan
11-16-2006, 02:23 PM
I like the optimism. Its definitely a possibility. This team could go on a tear.

The Pencil Neck
11-16-2006, 04:56 PM

Two words: Brian Billick.

Two more words: Tony Dungy.

Both of these guys made their reputation on one side of the ball. Billick was brought into Baltimore as an offensive guru as an OC and he was supposed to make Baltimore a high-powered LA Rams type of offense. Whoops. That hasn't worked out quite the way they expected it.

Then the Colts who have a great offense bring in Dungy in an attempt to bring the defense around and... although it has improved a little... the Colts are still primarily an offense oriented team.

Kubiak is an offensive guru and we'd expect him to turn the offense around (and I think he's made some pretty impressive improvements so far that just aren't quite showing up in the scoring), his main focus should be in building a winning team whatever that takes. Capers was supposed to be a defensive guru and it's our Defense that's the most improved from last year.

Let's just let Kubiak have his time and see what he can do. As long as he makes us into a winning team, I'll be happy.

run-david-run
11-16-2006, 07:01 PM
Two words: Brian Billick.

Two more words: Tony Dungy.

Both of these guys made their reputation on one side of the ball. Billick was brought into Baltimore as an offensive guru as an OC and he was supposed to make Baltimore a high-powered LA Rams type of offense. Whoops. That hasn't worked out quite the way they expected it.

Then the Colts who have a great offense bring in Dungy in an attempt to bring the defense around and... although it has improved a little... the Colts are still primarily an offense oriented team.

Kubiak is an offensive guru and we'd expect him to turn the offense around (and I think he's made some pretty impressive improvements so far that just aren't quite showing up in the scoring), his main focus should be in building a winning team whatever that takes. Capers was supposed to be a defensive guru and it's our Defense that's the most improved from last year.

Let's just let Kubiak have his time and see what he can do. As long as he makes us into a winning team, I'll be happy.Part of that is because we drafted for D with our top picks. Mario and Meco have been huge to this D, we would be in bad shape without them.

Bamaborn-Texasbred
11-17-2006, 09:40 AM

This is a different team than last year. Last year they were embarassed in the two games they won as well.

I was merely stating that Carr, who is one of just a few of the inaugural players still here, didn't seem to be jittered about playing to the national audience.

texaslifter
11-17-2006, 09:46 AM
I say we continue drafting D, and coach up mediocre players to run an efficient offense. Who cares if you only score 20 points a game if you're defense only gives up 10.

Bamaborn-Texasbred
11-17-2006, 09:53 AM
I say we continue drafting D, and coach up mediocre players to run an efficient offense. Who cares if you only score 20 points a game if you're defense only gives up 10.

That may very well be what they do. We'll see. I'm all for it.

wolfscar
11-17-2006, 11:11 AM

Kubiak has 'dumbed down' the offense to 'rock bottom' to minimize mistakes and keep 'frality of the mind' at a minimum, so we better hope our defense can continue keeping our opponents scoring at a minimum.

I have a feeling that our offense - and the team as a whole - will be given a little more leeway to make plays as we roll through the rest of the season. I get a sense that Kubiak has a good feel for where this team is and what it's capable of. Our mental frailty has improved a lot in a short time (and speaks volumes for the character of many of our players IMO). I think the 4th and 1 call last week says that he can feel a hunger and a belief from the team that they can do more than just 'not suck', and I'm hoping that he'll start to let the reins out a little to put teams away now.

...and those Browns get no respect! Their 6 losses are by an avg of less than a TD per game...

Well said - the Browns have been quietly posing some real questions to most of their opponents this season. They're not going to be a pushover. Likewise with the Jets. Mangini's done wonders with them this season and it was no fluke that they beat the Pats. They get better every game.

I see us beating Oakland, Tennessee and Buffalo, losing to the Pats and Colts while the Jets and the Browns could easily go either way. My money's on 4-3 , one way or the other.

And unfortunately, with the necessary tightness of our game right now I don't see us beating out Philly vs. NY for the NBC airtime. The Eagles are the most exciting team in the NFL to watch right now.

NATHANHALE
11-17-2006, 12:09 PM

That sounds great but it would mean a 'big' turn around from our scoring history, as we have never averaged 20 pts a game nor given up just 10---so far, this year, we're at 16 and about 23.

El Tejano
11-17-2006, 03:10 PM
We are going to continue winning and a new level of expectation and attitude of winning will be on from here on out.

You can get on while you can. Heck if the darn thing breaks down you'll at least be a few miles of where you are at now.

mexican_texan
11-18-2006, 11:21 AM
KC....noooooooooo.....Seattle...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOO
Who dares bring back the memory...I need to go to my corner now...