PDA

View Full Version : Surgery in Mario's near future?

Tale Gator
11-13-2006, 03:33 PM
This is very painful to play and practice on...

From Rotoworld

The first overall pick in the 2006 draft has recently been getting to the quarterback, but said that the pain is getting worse. "It's getting pretty bad," Williams stated. "Something has to be done. We're going to try everything we can to try to get rid of it." That sounds like the rookie, who has already been receiving treatment multiple times a day, could be headed for an operation.
____

Foot pain ongoing

Players can miss a significant amount of time with plantar fasciitis. Williams has been trying to practice and play through the pain, but it's starting to hinder his performance.

"As a defensive lineman, I count on my feet," Williams said. "(It impacts) everything I do, like pushing off, changing directions, turning a corner. To have one foot, you can think about what it is like."

Williams will be monitored closely in the upcoming weeks. Regardless of his status, the Texans likely will have to scour the waiver wire for defensive linemen.

chron (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4329830.html)

TexanSam
11-13-2006, 03:36 PM
Ugh. That really, really sucks. It sounds like he won't play through the whole season with that injury. Hopefully it doesn't hinder his development or anything though.

Texan_Bill
11-13-2006, 03:41 PM
Having had plantar fasciitis, I don't remember an operation being a treatment that was available. Generally rest and anti-inflamatory drugs are about the only treatment that I do remember....

HOU-TEX
11-13-2006, 03:44 PM
A Cortisone shot before each game=good to go. There's time to rest in the offseason. :stirpot:

Texan_Bill
11-13-2006, 03:52 PM
Ahhhh good 'ol cortizone..... I agree - rest in the off-season!!

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
11-13-2006, 04:04 PM
Having had plantar fasciitis, I don't remember an operation being a treatment that was available. Generally rest and anti-inflamatory drugs are about the only treatment that I do remember....

I think your right. There is a sports med. doc that normally posts on our MB C/D where are you) and this was talked about during spring training and I think he said rest was the only real "cure". TC also did some research on the topic.

austintexanite
11-13-2006, 04:08 PM
That freakin blows, but hopefully he can stick it out.

joedinkle
11-13-2006, 04:20 PM
A Cortisone shot before each game=good to go. There's time to rest in the offseason. :stirpot:

i'll take this for sarcasm, lol. we do want him for more than one season you know. here's to a speedy recovery and NO SURGERY! :marionaner:

Texan in Japan
11-13-2006, 04:49 PM
My wife and I both had plantar fasciitis. I had ultrasound treatments and did stretches to fix by case. She had some special ortho contraption to stretch out her foot.

Mario really needs to take some time off and give the foot some time to be treated and heel. It doesn't get better. I have heard there is surgery available now, but I've never been one to be cut on unless its life or death.

Specnatz
11-13-2006, 06:37 PM
This is from webmd .....

What causes plantar fasciitis?
Plantar fasciitis is caused by straining the ligament that supports your arch. Repeated strain can cause tiny tears in the ligament. These can lead to pain and swelling. This is more likely to happen if:

Your feet roll inward too much when you walk (excessive pronation).
You have high arches or flat feet.
You walk, stand, or run for long periods of time, especially on hard surfaces.
You are overweight.
You wear shoes that don't fit well or are worn out.
You have tight Achilles tendons or calf muscles.

How is it treated?
No single treatment works best for everyone with plantar fasciitis. But there are many things you can try to help your foot get better:

Give your feet a rest. Cut back on activities that make your foot hurt. Try not to walk or run on hard surfaces.
To reduce pain and swelling, try putting ice on your heel. Or take an over-the-counter pain reliever like ibuprofen (such as Advil or Motrin), naproxen (such as Aleve), or aspirin.
Do calf stretches and towel stretches several times a day, especially when you first get up in the morning.
Get a new pair of shoes. Pick shoes with good arch support and a cushioned sole. Or try heel cups or shoe inserts (orthotics). Use them in both shoes, even if only one foot hurts.

Surgery

Surgery is usually not necessary for plantar fasciitis. About 95 out of 100 people who have plantar fasciitis are able to relieve heel pain without surgery. Your doctor may consider surgery if nonsurgical treatment has not helped and heel pain is restricting your daily activities. Some doctors feel that you should try nonsurgical treatment for at least 6 months before you consider surgery.1

The main types of surgery for plantar fasciitis are:

Plantar fascia release. This procedure involves cutting part of the plantar fascia ligament. This releases the tension on the ligament and relieves inflammation.
Other procedures, such as removing a heel spur or stretching or loosening specific foot nerves.

Just thought I would post this info for those who are not sure what it is or treatments.

run-david-run
11-13-2006, 06:38 PM
Ahhhh good 'ol cortizone..... I agree - rest in the off-season!!

The one good thing about the football offseason being so long is that it gives players plenty of time to recover, unlike baseball. Seeing as we are not in a playoff hunt or such this year, next season is far more important. Lets just make sure we dont mess him up for later :fireball:

hot pickle
11-13-2006, 06:44 PM
if mario has surgery, will he be pain free after its all done and healed?

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
11-13-2006, 06:45 PM
The one good thing about the football offseason being so long is that it gives players plenty of time to recover, unlike baseball. Seeing as we are not in a playoff hunt or such this year, next season is far more important. Lets just make sure we dont mess him up for later :fireball:

Day after the season ends Mario needs to be on his way to the Docters office. I hope he makes it to the day after the season though.

nunusguy
11-13-2006, 06:48 PM
At this stage of the season, it would seem that could rest him a lot during the
week. I mean practice is important, but a lot of guys basically miss a lot of practice every week, especially as you get into the second half of the year.
Hasn't he already had a lot of trouble with his toenails, which included some surgery as I recall ? Wonder if Mario has any history of this problem ?

Wolf
11-13-2006, 06:49 PM
where has Cloakndagger been?

reason I ask CnD was very good at diagnosing what injuries do

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
11-13-2006, 07:23 PM
where has Cloakndagger been?

reason I ask CnD was very good at diagnosing what injuries do

I think I've seen CnD on the MB once since the season started. Must be busy at work It is football and cheerleading season.

UvaldeTexan
11-13-2006, 07:46 PM
Tim Duncan of the Spurs had that all last season. He said it just took rest to heal it. He said he feels fine now starting the new season. I think Mario will just have to stick it out during the season and rest it up in the off season.

Tale Gator
11-13-2006, 10:30 PM
Another blurb from footballguys.com:

The pain is increasing for rookie DE Mario Williams, who struggled to walk across the locker room Sunday afternoon. Williams played through the pain of plantar fasciitis in his right foot for a third consecutive game. "It's getting pretty bad," said Williams, who wears splints at night and receives treatments two or three times a day. "I definitely don't want to be missing any practice time, let alone games. So something has to be done. We're going to try everything we can to try to get rid of it."

mexican_texan
11-13-2006, 10:34 PM
It's common on big guys like Mario and Tim Duncan. I don't really know anything though

One more thing: no such thing as an offseason. Maybe one or two weeks. That's it.

run-david-run
11-13-2006, 10:57 PM
It's common on big guys like Mario and Tim Duncan. I don't really know anything though

One more thing: no such thing as an offseason. Maybe one or two weeks. That's it.

Not really...he will probably have over a month from week 17 to Pro Bowl where he wont have to do any sort of football activity. Cobine that with the actual offseason and he should habe plenty of rest. Also, this guy is a huge investemnt, they are going to do everything possible to make sure he is healthy for next season.

mexican_texan
11-13-2006, 11:01 PM
Not really...he will probably have over a month from week 17 to Pro Bowl where he wont have to do any sort of football activity. Cobine that with the actual offseason and he should habe plenty of rest. Also, this guy is a huge investemnt, they are going to do everything possible to make sure he is healthy for next season.
I sure hope you're wrong. :marionaner:

HJam72
11-14-2006, 08:59 AM
All that money and Mario's to cheap to buy some descent shoes. :) :includeme:

real
11-14-2006, 09:07 AM
I heard Kubiak yesterday on the radio, and I can't remember exactly what he said, but I came away pretty convinced that Mario was going to play the season out and take care of it after the season ended...

TxAg
11-14-2006, 10:23 AM
I hope he can stick though the season he has been playing very well and sparking our defense. We went from the worst defense to one of the most improved..:fireball:

Tale Gator
11-14-2006, 09:10 PM
One final blurb on this injury from Fanball - nice comment from Kubiak:

SuperMario battling plantar fasciitis

The News
Defensive end Mario Williams is playing through a case of plantar fasciitis. "Mario's playing injured for his team," Texans coach Gary Kubiak told the Houston Chronicle. "He's giving it up for his teammates. He's getting a lot of respect because we know his foot's bothering him, and I'm sure it's very frustrating for him because he wants to be at his best, and that hasn't been the case the last couple of weeks."

Our View
Kubiak added that Williams' injury may keep him out of practices and could linger the rest of the season—something anyone banking on Williams' development in an IDP league should keep in mind. After a slow start, SuperMario has been playing well and taken at least some of the heat off the Texans for picking him over Reggie Bush.