PDA

View Full Version : 16-32 for 167 yards.. 0 TDs... 0 Ints

thunderkyss
11-12-2006, 10:53 PM
His stats don' look great at all. 50% completion. less than 200 yards passing. No touchdowns.

But I must say this was David's best game of the year. He was decisive. The balls were well placed. He kept his head in the game, the ball came out on time, And he took care of the ball.

I said this game was going to be a defensive win, looking at the stats, and the score, it would be easy to make that argument. But I truly believe this win is just as much a David Carr win as a defensive win.

TexanFanInCC
11-12-2006, 10:55 PM
His stats don' look great at all. 50% completion. less than 200 yards passing. No touchdowns.

But I must say this was David's best game of the year. He was decisive. The balls were well placed. He kept his head in the game, the ball came out on time, And he took care of the ball.

I said this game was going to be a defensive win, looking at the stats, and the score, it would be easy to make that argument. But I truly believe this win is just as much a David Carr win as a defensive win.

he was better than sage this time around....hehe

ib4texans
11-12-2006, 10:57 PM
You left out the 47 rushing yards, 14 of which came on a crucial 3rd down play. To be fair Sage came in and only had 9 passing yards due to play calling. I give the win to the D and David Carr and his shoulder contussion

LORK 88
11-12-2006, 11:01 PM
What I thought was most impressive was his determination. His run on 3rd down and his effort to take the beating so he could continue the drive was amazing. He did whatever he could to put us in position to win and it showed. I really think that benching him against Tennessee was the best thing that's ever happened to him. Its like he has a new lease on life after what happened, another great move on Kubiak's part (going for it on 4th and 1 was also a nice move on his part).

Paragon Blue
11-12-2006, 11:01 PM
was that the play that DC almost ran over that db!!!

texflex513
11-12-2006, 11:03 PM

I said this game was going to be a defensive win, looking at the stats, and the score, it would be easy to make that argument. But I truly believe this win is just as much a David Carr win as a defensive win. Carr's competitive fire is burning strong he might not be highly vocal but he is tough and i agree totally!

texansfanquecaneh
11-12-2006, 11:14 PM

But he had to throw a few away due to Jacksonville defenders in his face. At least he didn't give up a few sacks. I think the passes knocked down were also due to Jacksonville pushing our offensive line back.
We still need to improve on the offensive line. Rosenfels was sacked as soon as he came in.:twocents:

UberDork
11-12-2006, 11:17 PM
The only thing that really concerned me were the blocked passes...Seemed like he was staring a hole into his intended receiver on those plays and the Jags D-line took notice.

All in all, we won, so I am pleased.

YoungTexanFan
11-12-2006, 11:17 PM
David had a solid game, played better early.

He went through a rough stretch in the second quarter where many plays resulted in a batted ball or a "throw-away". Throw aways are good, but the Jags were sitting on the PA rollout to the right side.

TexansLucky13
11-12-2006, 11:22 PM
I agree TK. David has improved much since being benched, and even though he hasn't recorded any TDs.... he has shown improvement.

He also gets credit for being one of the toughest QBs ever, IMO.

awtysst
11-12-2006, 11:29 PM
he was better than sage this time around....hehe

I really hope the Sage crowd saw Sage agaiinsrt first team Jax looking flustered. Hopefully this ends any potential QB controversey.

Goldeagle
11-12-2006, 11:31 PM
The only thing that really concerned me were the blocked passes...Seemed like he was staring a hole into his intended receiver on those plays and the Jags D-line took notice.

All in all, we won, so I am pleased.

That is a concern, but the announcer was stating he had a horrible pocket to throw through.

David played smart, he threw passes away when he needed to. The Jags were ALL OVER the bootleg and throwing the ball away is much better than forcing a ball and getting an int.

How many passes were dropped? I know AJ is good for a couple at least.

Wolf
11-12-2006, 11:32 PM
I really hope the Sage crowd saw Sage agaiinsrt first team Jax looking flustered. Hopefully this ends any potential QB controversey.

I doubt it..

ib4texans
11-12-2006, 11:34 PM

I just hope we don't get to see how well Sage performs next week, hopefully David Carr will continue his tough ways and be right back in it.

Goldeagle
11-12-2006, 11:34 PM
Sage seemed ok (for a back up). Dont expect much from him.

On a side note, Carr running over a guy was nice, and seeing him come out to put his hand in support for Weigert (who sucks) was nice. I guess that run, and coming out to Weigert is a sure sign of someone who is not a leader :/

Wolf
11-13-2006, 12:11 AM
http://photos.jacksonville.com/PHOTOS/JAXF/195581/13416484E.jpg

http://photos.jacksonville.com/mycapture/enlarge.asp?userphoto=0&image=13416484&thispage=1

http://photos.jacksonville.com/PHOTOS/JAXF/195581/13416485E.jpg

http://photos.jacksonville.com/mycapture/enlarge.asp?userphoto=0&image=13416485&thispage=1

Scooter
11-13-2006, 12:20 AM
getting the touchdown on the opening drive was big, but if AJ was able to get that catch into the endzone i think it would've been an incredible boost to our offense. they really do seem to feed off of carr, and plays like that long pass and carr's runs get the offense amped up.

Ibar_Harry
11-13-2006, 01:09 AM

You forgot his runs. He had the longest run for the Texans. Strange game when your QB has the longest run of the day and is the 2nd best back in terms of yards gained rushing.

HJam72
11-13-2006, 01:13 AM
Speaking of QBs running, how about RBs passing? Who forgot to tell our RBs to throw the ball away when they're about to get sacked? :brickwall

keyser
11-13-2006, 01:13 AM
David played smart, he threw passes away when he needed to. The Jags were ALL OVER the bootleg and throwing the ball away is much better than forcing a ball and getting an int.

He did do a good job at getting rid of it, but he has to be more careful of intentional grounding. I believe it was on one of those bootlegs, that he threw the ball away but didn't get it past the LOS (a few yards short, according to the TV LOS mark), and I saw no receiver in the area (could have been a tight TV shot, though). Fortunately, the refs missed that one, as well as another one that appeared close. They caught him on a later one, though.

Texandiver
11-13-2006, 01:21 AM
was that the play that DC almost ran over that db!!!

No that was the play he DID run over the db!!!

phan1
11-13-2006, 04:15 AM
David Carr had a good game in general. He's been scrambling a lot since his benching, and that's a really great thing. He ran a 4.7 in the combine! He's a deceptively fast guy, so let him go out there and run! The fact that Palmer didn't want him to scramble that much really hampered him I think. I think scrambling out of the pocket will actually help his pocket presence in the long run. Mcnabb and Culpepper ran a lot when they were younger and now they're more comfortable in the pocket than ever. I think the same could happen with Carr. I don't think your pocket presence will improve if you force yourself to stand in there and take hits and sacks all day. It was pretty amazing to see him feel the pressure in the pocket today cause he's always been so horrible at it. This game was definitely a step in the right direction for Carr.

Keep in mind that the Jaguards D is pretty darn good and definitely showed it today. They really made it difficult for him today, and it's hard to imagine him playing much better when you look at what he was dealing with out there. The stats don't tell you everything. He played well against a really tough defense.

The big dissappointment was not getting enough TDs though. Carr needs to somehow get touchdowns in the redzone. We really laid an egg on that side of the field.

SESupergenius
11-13-2006, 10:46 AM
The big dissappointment was not getting enough TDs though. Carr needs to somehow get touchdowns in the redzone. We really laid an egg on that side of the field.
Carr threw a very catchable ball to Andre in the corner of the endzone against Mathis. AJ had the ball right in his hands and if it were Harrison, Moss or some of the other elite WR's they come down with the ball and it's a TD. Carr played very well again this game and made very few mistakes against a top defense. I figure this thead was started to cover up the fact that when Sage came in he looked like a 3rd string QB.

thunderkyss
11-13-2006, 01:37 PM
Carr threw a very catchable ball to Andre in the corner of the endzone against Mathis. AJ had the ball right in his hands and if it were Harrison, Moss or some of the other elite WR's they come down with the ball and it's a TD. Carr played very well again this game and made very few mistakes against a top defense. I figure this thead was started to cover up the fact that when Sage came in he looked like a 3rd string QB.

Sage dropped back four times?? & he's being relegated to 3rd string?? :ok:

That pass to Andre in the endzone, I doubt anybody would have got it, as Mathis also had a hand on the ball. Had that been Dunta, we'd be talking about the great play he made.

But this thread was started, because I thought David had a really good game. When I went to check his stats, I was like,"This can't be right".........

my way of saying there is a lot of football that doesn't get captured in the stats.

Malloy
11-13-2006, 01:49 PM
Speaking of QBs running, how about RBs passing? Who forgot to tell our RBs to throw the ball away when they're about to get sacked? :brickwall

Better to take a sack than to throw an INT like... some other RB did last week :)

Houston_Fanatic
11-13-2006, 02:09 PM
I was very impressed with the way David played yesterday. He finally looked like an NFL quarterback and was leading the team. All I can say is Kubiak is a genius because I had pretty much given up on David ever stepping up to the level he needs to be to carry our team to the playoffs and the Super Bowl.

I didn't see any happy feet, David felt the pressure coming and he stayed poised and confident. There was one pass where he rolled out to his right and threw on the run and he looked just like John Elway - I've seen Elway do that many times. And the WR caught it!

I also liked the designed run plays for David. I couldn't help but cheer when he got up after that awesome run where he ran over the DB and got up grinning. :highfive:

The whole team looked relaxed and confident and they definitely got into a good rhythm. That was broken when Sage came in - not his fault - just the way it is. And that is why it is so important for David to keep doing what he is doing - his confidence affects the whole team. I am glad we have a capable backup for David, but I would much rather see David take us all the way in a few years.

thunderkyss
11-13-2006, 02:26 PM
Thing I liked most about Carr, was that it was his second consecutive good game...... This one, I think much better than the last.

HOU-TEX
11-13-2006, 02:53 PM
Thing I liked most about Carr, was that it was his second consecutive good game...... This one, I think much better than the last.

Definetly! We won! LOL!

We still have to keep chopping wood, the Bills have a pretty darn good D as well. We need to continue to grow as a team. We need to find a way to be more consistant in the red zone. And for Petesake, can we hit the field goals when we need them??:francis:

kcwilson
11-13-2006, 05:04 PM
David had a solid game, played better early.

He went through a rough stretch in the second quarter where many plays resulted in a batted ball or a "throw-away". Throw aways are good, but the Jags were sitting on the PA rollout to the right side.

THe Jags were sitting on the PA rollout, which is what made the QB sweep to the left so cool. Granted you aren't going to run PA in that scenario, but they deliberabtely attacked the side of the field where they usually don't move Carr on rollouts, or when there is pressure and he tries to escape, he always goes right.

kcwilson
11-13-2006, 05:06 PM
And for Petesake, can we hit the field goals when we need them??:francis:

No, we cannot. Please see the "keep Kris Brown" thread.

Meloy
11-13-2006, 05:14 PM
To me this game proved that with Carr we can win games. If he continues to get better & he should with Kubiac's tutelage, we should be ok at that position. I wanted to see a game where the Texans as a team stood up and punched the other team. It was a pleasure to watch, even the 4th and inches at end of game. What a call. Personally, I would have kicked it and prayed for the D.

Cgold
11-13-2006, 05:19 PM
Two standout plays in back to back weeks. The Leap and running over the DB.. Two of his best plays ever IMO.. or most exciting to see atleast.... I hope he keeps it up.

MrMeToo
11-13-2006, 05:29 PM
carr did alright yesterday.The D was the reason we won and the Jags dropped passes were the reason we won yesterday...

hollywood_texan
11-13-2006, 05:43 PM
This offense really isn't that much different from when Dom Capers was in charge in 2003 and 2004 because big yards and big plays are hard to come by.

Sure the offense is a little more consistent, but it is too slow and predictable to put up quality points, which is the same as when Dom was around.

As long as the defense keeps things close, the Texans have a chance. Does that sound famaliar to the old Dom way?

Why can't this offense can't put up one dominating performance? We have Kubiak and Sherman, got Moulds and Flanagan, and it is still the same old thing. What is it with the scoring? They just can't get it done.

The offense is medicore at best and relies on the defense. Just look at the victories this team has had, and you will see pretty good defensive performances. And still the offense had a tough time putting putting up quality points.

I am not saying this offense has to score 30 every week, but let's see it from time to time to where it can happen any week or several weeks in a row.

Also, I am tired for hearing we need better players. Sure the talent is a little thin, but every team has this problem because there are 32 teams to spread the talent around and you have to manage the salary cap.

The biggest problem this team has right now is that it's offensive playmakers, namely Carr and AJ, are not putting enough together to make this a potent offense.

TheOgre
11-13-2006, 05:56 PM
A key thing overlooked over the last two weeks is our ability to control the clock with mind-numbingly long drives. We just have to learn to convert those drives into "7" every time instead of settling for Kris "Iffy" Brown attempts.

The key stat of the game for Carr...a "W". Nothing else really matters in the long-run.

tsip
11-13-2006, 06:18 PM

We're fortunate our defense played so well in these games, only giving up 24pts. It's not very often a team can 'stay' in a game when the offense is avg a whopping 12pts (last 2 games).

Without a doubt, Kubiak has got this offense so simple a good HS QB could run it! 3 games-0 passing TDs....but David played good!?

JMO, but we've got very little 'margin' for errors in our game plans. Instead of 'advancing' our QB play with aggressive play calling, we simplify it more and more each time he makes a mistake. This means that--instead 'making' Carr step up to the plate and play until he gets it 'right'--we 'cow' down. What's Kubiak going to do when 'big' plays are needed to win/stay in the game? Carr 'still' won't have the experience/reps 'under his belt' to succeed.

I'm lost here. What's Kubiak thinking? Is a:lightbulb: suddenly going to go off and Carr's play will be elevated?...maybe our defense will continue to keep us in low scoring games, so Carr can keep playing 'good' at this 'level' that Gary has set for him....let's hope Kubiak has something up his sleeve and can fulfill his promise of 'whatever' it takes to win....

Texanfan4ever
11-13-2006, 07:00 PM
Tsip, are you serious???? :um: idonno:

thunderkyss
11-13-2006, 07:06 PM
This offense really isn't that much different from when Dom Capers was in charge in 2003 and 2004 because big yards and big plays are hard to come by.

Why can't this offense can't put up one dominating performance?

The offense is medicore at best and relies on the defense.

The biggest problem this team has right now is that it's offensive playmakers, namely Carr and AJ, are not putting enough together to make this a potent offense.

In time..... it'll come in time. I'm sure you are tired of hearing that. & Even though I agree with your entire post....... it gets kinda old too. If Kubiak was here for the last 4.5 years, I'd be with you on the fire Kubiak schtick. but he wasn't.

Yeah, the Saints, the Rams, & the Jets have turned their clubs around in short time.... but we didn't have as solid a core as we'd have liked..... & we're going to kick some J......E.....T.....S..... JETS-JETS-JETS ass here in a few weeks.

Without a doubt, Kubiak has got this offense so simple a good HS QB could run it! 3 games-0 passing TDs....but David played good!?

Is a:lightbulb: suddenly going to go off and Carr's play will be elevated?...

Again, I agree with your entire post.... but what do you expect, a light bulb is going to go off, and David's going to start dominating games??

What we saw in the last two games are, IMHO, very important steps David has got to take............ I'd love it if he woke up tomorrow, and was the second coming of JohnElway. But I can only hold my breath for so long.

& though the offense is dumbed down, there are still plenty of opportunities for David to make the big plays. I think Kubiak is giving him oportunity after oportunity to go down field, and use the WRs like they are meant to be used, but the short stuff is in there as well..... to help David experience the success that he needs to experience.

Yesterday was part of that.

Stats don't look good, but we got that W you said you care about......... & our QB is getting better.

thunderkyss
11-20-2006, 11:01 PM
I've just rewatched the first half of the Buffalo game. I admit, I was upset with David for underthrowing a few balls...... for throwing to his security blanket when other recievers are open, or are running into open space.

I was/is.... mad at some of the things Kubiak did... but I think most have been covered in other threads..

I just wanted to bump this thread, to say that David did a pretty damn good job (overall) and looked like an NFL QB. I didn't count, but he I think he threw more passes beyound the 10 yards, which is an improvement. There weren't many Yards after the catch for AJ & Moulds this go around. the Fullbacks & Tailbacks got plenty, but the recievers didn't. Not very much anyway.

It didn't look like he had a clue about the 22 straight completions... at the half, I think he was 16 for 16..... he'd been taking a beating, and still looked calm & in control.

Just so there are no misconceptions, I don't like David. I don't like David's game. But he had a pretty good game.

thunderkyss
03-17-2007, 11:27 AM
I knew I started a pro David Carr somewhere. Here it is, and I mentioned the three games I thought he played well in. (well for David that is). At the Giants, Jax part 2, & Buffalo.